User Reviews for Depakote ER

Learn more about Depakote ER.

Depakote ER Review Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 31 medications used in the treatment of Migraine Prevention.

Reviews for Depakote ER to treat Migraine Prevention

"I ben taking 1,000mg a day .I split up 500 in morning and 500 at night for 3 months. I gained 35pounds in the first month. Its a great mood stabilizer, but it only works part of the time. I have the shakes ,acne , vision problems from it. I took topimax before it was great but I got kidney stones from it . I need to get another med that actually works!"

d273 June 18, 2015

"I have only been taking Depakote ER 500 mg for 10 days now, or maybe I should say nights. I take it at bed time, & was supposed to start taking it twice a day after a week but the upset stomach, the shakes, (or extra nervousness), no sign of relief of my migraines, & I haven't been able to sleep at night either.. I'm going to tell my Dr. that I just can't take it any more."

Cowboy 61 June 22, 2014

"After being on Depakote Er for 8 months, it was really effective in reducing the migraines. As side effects, I never gained one single pound, but the hair loss was just unbearable. I lost half of all my hair. I had to stop taking it, unfortunately. I have always had headaches, since I was a child. Before Depakote, I stayed one month having headaches every single day, had to stay in bed, couldn't even walk, and I felt like I reached the lowest point in my life, I wouldn't be able to live with the pain anymore, I had no life. After 2 weeks on Depakote er 500mg I started getting better. I was having only 8/10 per month. Now I'm on topiramate for 2 weeks, the hair is still falling a lot and the migraines are back, almost everyday."

PamelaCosta February 5, 2014

"I've also been trying different preventive medication for migraines with my doctor and so far Depakote is working the best. I started with 250mg a day for the first week, now at 500 mg a day. Before this medication, I would wake up daily with chronic head pain in the neck or behind the eyes. Now I wake up almost every morning with a clear head. I haven't seen any side effects yet at this dosage and I've even lost weight since I've been proactive with daily exercise. I started walking 2 miles daily since taking this medication. With proactive exercise and eating habits, I think anyone can keep potential side effects at bay. Previously, I was on Topamax and had to stop taking it as the nausea/head fuzz was too severe for my line of work."

Toban M October 15, 2013

"Medication was very effective at controlling silent migraines but long term use (more than 10 years) has resulted in a 60 pound weight gain, hair loss and shakiness. Recently have felt very fatigued and confused. "

CharlotteRosa May 21, 2013

"I had used this medication for more than 15 years, before it stopped preventing my chronic migraine headaches. I was taking it up to 2000 mg per: night daily and didn't have any side effects of it since the very beginning of taking it (in lower dose, of course) and even when took max dose as described. Had a very easy adjusting to it, also and no unpleasanties whatsoever."

Anonymous April 11, 2012

"I along with most people here have had an excellent result with Depakote ER, however the biggest side affect for me is the weight gain. (10 lbs in a month!!)May I add, I eat healthy and work out...it just keeps coming. I've been on Topamax for 17 months with no relief. I hope there's something else I can try that's comparable to Depakote ER, I really don't want to be obese from medicine."

Anonymous February 29, 2012

"My 12 year old son has been having migraines for 2 years now. At first it was only once every few months. However, it progressed to once or twice a week - with vision aura and speech disturbance. I took him to a Pediatric Neurologist and he said it was likely from puberty. He prescribed 500 mg of Depakote ER. It seemed to start working right away. It has been almost 2 months now and he has only had one migraine now in almost 2 months. Far better than before. He hasn't had any of the noticeable side effects - hair loss, weight gain. He takes it before bedtime. It is hard to get him up in the morning but don't know if that is from the medicine or from going to bed too late!"

seanhanamom February 6, 2012

"This has worked better then anything else I've tried. I have gained weight though and I still get the flashes of light and dark spots. "

crimsonbelle70 January 14, 2012

"I have been on Depakote ER for three weeks. I've had 4 migraines during this time, which is less than before the Depakote ER. My GP had me on three different medicines for prevention but the neurologist switched me to Depakote ER. I've had a little weight gain. The problem is I'm on weight watchers and should be losing weight. There have been times where my hands have felt shaky (similar to too much caffeine intake). I think its also effecting my vision. I'm going to call the doctor and ask to switch to something else. Basically its helped reduced my migraine frequency but not enough to live with the side effects."

Joani S September 7, 2011

"I've been on Depakote for 2 weeks now. Not one single migraine. I was having them 2-3 times a week, and less severe tension headaches daily. I haven't even had the tension headaches twice now. I have not gained any weight as of yet either."

Anonymous August 9, 2011

"For two months now, Depakote ER has cured my migraines, which were occurring approximately two to three times a week, lasting between one to three days each. I had some of the blurred vision and trembling side effects, but the worst has been the weight gain, 10 pounds in two months, when I normally never, ever gain weight. I suppose given the choice, I'll choose the weight gain. Wish I didn't have to choose."

Anonymous July 1, 2010

"I have been taking this medication for 3 weeks now. I have not had a headache since I started it. I was getting a migraine 3 times a week previously. Topamax did not help me. I am hoping for no serious side effects! This has improved my quality of life tremendously"

pinkysmommy May 11, 2010

"Fewer side effects than Depakote but nearly no benefit for migraines."

Anonymous November 4, 2009

"I have been taking Depakote ER for approximately 4 weeks now with good results. Prior to this medication, I was experiencing frequent dull pressure type headaches, some lasting several days, and occasional short duration sharp migraines. Since using Depakote ER, I have had no migraines and only a couple of very mild and short duration pressure headaches. I realize it's only been a short amount of time on this medication, but the relief has been quite noticeable for me. I have also not experienced any sudden weight gain side effects, however, just prior to starting this medication, I commenced a health eating regimen, which has actually caused me to lose several pounds, and which may be contributing to my weight situation."

SFLDiver September 8, 2009

"I would never recommend this medication because of the horrible weight gain side effect. I gained 70 lbs on this medicine while trying to convince my doctor to change my medicine. It didn't really help my headaches either. I finally had to change doctors to get off this. I got on Topamax and the weight just melted off. Depakote changes your metabolism where everything you eat changes to fat. I took it 18 months too long."

Sappo July 17, 2009

"I have been on Depakote ER 1000 mg/day for over 7 years now and my once 4 migraines/months have pretty much subsided to less than 4/year. That's a great improvement for me as I've had them for over 45 years. Nothing worked before, just many pain medicines tried, or shots to put me out for a couple of days and the after effects weren't so fun. I would recommend this to anyone with migraines. Ask your doctor. "

Anonymous February 3, 2009

"I have been on Depakote ER 1000mg for 2 months and it has almost solved my migraine problem. I still get a few slight nagging headaches, which are easy to treat with ibuprofen. The side effects of stomach upset and fatigue seem to be improving. I think I notice some weight gain, maybe too early to tell. So far so good. I'm happy with this medication. My migraines were threating my ability to earn a living and many days were spent in bed. Things are looking up."

gregw July 14, 2008

"Responded well to this medicine, after failing everything, including Topamax. I had severe motion component with migraine. Could not stand, roll over or lean over without increased pain/pressure. Depakote finally worked after trying many medicines for 2 1/2 months. just don't like the weight gain"

stefaniekelly June 10, 2008

"After trying Topamax for months with no relief, I have been on Depakote ER for three months with GREAT relief! I was having migraine headaches 17 out of 31 days a month, now- maybe one a month (taking Axert when I have pain). The only problem I have had is I have gained 10 pounds in less than three months....this is horrible for me, as I could have afforded to have lost 10 pounds when starting Depakote! My Dr. is going to have me try to mis in 25 mg. of Topamax to suppresse the appetite."

Maggiebxr March 7, 2008