User Reviews for Benadryl Allergy

Learn more about Benadryl Allergy.

Motion Sickness 1 reviews 109 medications

Pruritus 0 reviews 289 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Benadryl Allergy reviews 14 reviews 7.5

Reviews for Benadryl Allergy

Review by RipTheSystem:

For Hay Fever: I have severe seasonal allergies as well as severe allergies to dust and mold. I had gone through the gamut of second generation antihistamines (Claritin, Zyrtec and Allegra) with minimal success in treating my extreme symptoms. I decided to try the first generation antihistamine: Benadryl. Of course, it's been around for a long time, but it's definitely the most effective. The drawback to this older antihistamine is that it causes sleepiness, and it's not slight. Also, the newer antihistamines can be taken once a day, while Benadryl doses last only 4-6 hours. But to this extreme allergy sufferer, it's a small tradeoff, because it certainly treats the symptoms far better.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 20, 2011 11:34 PM

For Urticaria: Benadryl does knock me out but when I have bad hives, it works a lot better than other antihistamines. I get them bad enough sometimes that I have to be on prednisone as well.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 14, 2010 6:52 PM

For Allergic Reactions: I have taken Benadryl or its generic equivalent for many years. It is very good for itchy throats and ears and all kinds of symptoms, and particularly good for sneezing. If the Benadryl doesn't work, then I know I'm coming down with something more than just seasonal allergies. I try to keep Benadryl with me all the time. There are so many food products that I am supposed to be allergic to that sometimes I take a Benadryl before I eat, especially peanut butter and bananas, two of my favorite foods.

June 4, 2010 12:46 AM

For Urticaria: I've been taking Benedryl Allergy every four hours today to try to get some relief from my hives, but it hasn't helped at all. The most relief I felt was during an oatmeal bath.

December 6, 2009 10:12 PM

For Cold Symptoms: Usually helps get a sound sleep.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 3, 2009 10:05 PM

Review by Lizelou:

For Urticaria: My 2 1/2 year old son took this because of Hives/Welts. It helped with the itching but thats it. It made him very hyper.

September 16, 2009 4:45 PM

Review by squirrelnutkin:

For Allergic Reactions: I have severe allergies and life has been miserable. I couldn't afford the time or money anymore for allergy shots. Claritan stopped working. So did a bunch of over the counter allergy medications. I took so many cough and zinc lozenges my tongue became sore. I coughed all the time, to the point of stomach pain and incontinence. My coworker just gave me a Benadryl. I was on the verge of going home sick, but now I'm 100% better. A stress rash that was erupting on the back of my neck just now went away. This is a marvelous product, and I didn't know it had so many uses.

July 18, 2009 1:21 PM

For Hay Fever: Benadryl seems to help but makes me so sleepy it isn't really worth the symptom relief.

June 6, 2009 11:02 AM

For Insomnia: In some people such as myself, benadryl will cause kicking of the feet all night long. For some it works great but be aware that some of us get nervous feet, which does not help when you are trying to sleep.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 5, 2009 10:53 PM

Review by hemaro:

For Insomnia: Does not really work for chronic Insomnia

April 21, 2009 7:26 PM

Review by AgnosticPanda:

For Allergic Reactions: I have been using Benadryl for the past 4 years and I never leave home without it. I have sneezing fits both indoors and outdoors and Benardryl is the only allergy pill that works for me. It works fast and stops my runny nose immediately. Although I do feel sleepy (most of the time), I can't be without it.

February 20, 2009 12:00 AM

For Allergic Reactions: I'm allergic to pollen. Took a dose, felt a million times better. Slept for 16 hours straight.

January 27, 2009 9:42 AM

Review by KClean:

For Insomnia: Not only is Benadryl great for allergic reactions, it is great for insomnia too. I use it for a variety of conditions and always carry some in my purse - just in case.

January 1, 2009 10:08 AM

Review by margemccahon:

For Urticaria: Benadryl made my 16yr old so sleepy that he had to be sent home from school but it did take away his hives.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 10, 2008 12:13 PM

For Allergic Reactions: I am severely allergic to all nuts and I always keep a few pills with me. If I eat something that has been in contact with nuts I take two pills or a gulp of the syrup and my itchy mouth and throat, swollen lips are instantly soothed. The syrup does work faster than the pills but pills are lighter to carry around. I once ate a huge piece of hazelnut chocolate and having benadryl on me really saved me. It won't work on severe reaction i.e. eating peanut butter but it is definitely a life saver for all other allergic reactions. I am never without benadryl and my epipen. Only thing to look out for is intense drowsiness, so make sure to be at home to take a long nap when it takes effect.

October 7, 2008 7:33 AM

For Insomnia: I highly recommend using benadryl if you have no other sleep aid.

September 9, 2008 8:05 PM

Review by brea75:

For Motion Sickness: I use benedryl for motion sickness and it does work. I can never remember the car ride, due to being asleep. I love it.

August 6, 2008 2:58 AM

Review by Mia Valentina:

For Allergic Reactions: It's the only one I trust with my allergies...

April 5, 2008 12:45 AM