User Reviews for Voltaren

Learn more about Voltaren.

Voltaren review summary

9.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 274 medications used in the treatment of Osteoarthritis.

Reviews for Voltaren to treat Osteoarthritis

Review by piedmount:

1 pill twice a day. Voltaren effective until it caused server swelling of my entire legs and hands. The increased edema put pressure on my bursa in both hips and on the nerves leaving my groin and going into my legs. All of this pressure caused electrical shocks in my thighs. I took a diurectic but it didn't remove the fluid from my thighs.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 2, 2013 3:52 AM

Review by TweetieMarie (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I have been on every NSAID there is, both prescription and non-prescription. Finally a doctor suggested I try Voltaren. I've been on it about 8 years now, and it has helped me keep my narcotic usage to a minimum. It helps the severe osteoarthritis pain in my joints along with the muscle pain I have.

July 9, 2013 7:45 AM

Review by Yi:

Just diagnosed with arthritis. I have osteoporosis now. Have only been using this for 3 days and it works wonderful. It eases my neck pain to wear I hardly feel any hurt. I'm weary of the side effects so don't know how long I will use this cream but I tell you what, if I hurt, this cream is the 1st thing I would go for!

May 30, 2013 10:06 PM

Review by Sammers49 (taken for 10 years or more):

I have tried a dozen different medications but none as effective as this. I tried Celebrex last year and was in so much pain after three days I went back to my Voltaren. I take 100mg twice a day that helps me work and function normally.

February 28, 2013 5:21 PM

Review by michael266 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Night pain from knee osteoarthritis - a burning on the medial side - sometimes bothers me at night, particularly if I have been active during the day. If I get up walk around for a few minutes sometimes the pain vanishes. Otherwise I apply Voltaren gel- about the size of a small grape over the sore place and the pain goes away pretty quickly. I occasionally apply Voltaren ahead of time if I know I'm going to be on my feet a lot.

February 22, 2013 1:52 PM

Review by Geol54:

I've taken Voltaren for over 25 years 3 times a day. For 5 days before each of 4 complete joint replacements, I had to quit taking it since it is a slight blood thinner. Each time I got very stiff with painful joints. I've tried most of the other arthritis NSAIDS and none work nearly as well. My Dr. runs a liver function test every 6 months.

February 12, 2013 9:29 PM

Review by GGML:

I have osteoarthritis in my hands, elbows, knees and feet, and some days the pain was so bad I didn't want to move. The first day I took Voltaren I felt full pain relief, It's a wonderful pain medication. I like that its not a narcotic. Thank you Voltaren I have my life back.

October 12, 2012 10:52 AM

Review by Mary W. RN:

I started taking Voltaren back in October for osteoarthritis of my knees, right hip & left hand. I also have bursitis & piriformis syndrome in my right hip as well as achilles tendonitis in the right foot. I take 75mg 2 times a day. My knees are so bad that I had to have Synvisc-One injections as well. Combined I have been able to work my 12 hr shifts as an RN. I still have pain that's about a 6-7 after working three 12's in a row, but would not be able to work at all without the Voltaren. I am looking to have my knees replaced in the near future. The only side effect I have had is stomach upset if I do not take it with food and some mild constipation. I would recommend this medicine to anyone.

April 25, 2012 12:04 AM

MD recommended that I take this medication for 4 weeks, 75 mg twice a day. He warned me that most people stop taking the medication after two weeks because they feel much better. I have been taking the medication for 3 days and this is the best that I have felt in six months. I will defintely follow his instructions and continue for 4 weeks in hopes of feeling even better. No more pain in the hip, no more pain when rising, no more sharp pain when walking, or leg tenderness when trying to sleep. I was recently diagnoised with osteoarthritis.

December 17, 2011 7:52 PM

Review by Leroy2:

This medicine has been wonderful for me. I have bad arthritis in numerous joints. I just take one tablet with food in the morning (75mg/day) and it makes all the difference in the world. I have not experienced any side effects yet and have been taking this medicine for about 9 months.

August 11, 2011 9:49 AM

Review by blazia:

Have taken for 2 years and now I can't live without it. I can walk with just a small amount of pain, my knees are very happy. Please try this.

January 9, 2011 12:01 AM

I am 46, female, with osteoarthritis in one knee - had an arthroscopy last year that seemed to just make things worse. I have tried the Synvisc injections %u2013 no help. It was getting to the point where I was sitting most of the day to avoid the pain and stiffness. Even swimming was painful. I would have to take at least 800mg of Motrin to feel the tiniest bit of relief. Tried Oxycodone and Vicodin %u2013 nothing except sleepiness. Started taking Voltaren a few days ago %u2013 the generic diclofenac %u2013 50 mg 2x a day. Wow %u2013 I am so surprised how well this is working! I am moving around with little pain and only a small amount of stiffness now. No side effects so far. I am so grateful my doctor suggested this %u2013 I am happier now!

December 5, 2010 8:24 PM

Review by FrankFjs:

I have been taking Voltaren for the past 6 years in conjunction with omapromazin. I would not have been able to walk, sleep or enjoy life. It is only now after having two knee replacements that I no longer need to take any medication. I think Voltaren is a way to enjoy life again, without pain. But for me I am happy to have the new knee replacements.

June 18, 2010 5:00 AM

Review by schud3l:

Voltaren is a fabulous drug. I have osteoarthritis of the spine and hip and carpel tunnel syndrome. After taking Voltaren for 3 days, 50mg once a day, I am no longer limping and the inflammation in my hands has gone down. I am back to hiking, swimming and piano playing. What a relief.

November 12, 2009 12:46 AM

I have been using this medication for 12 years. It gives me great relief. I take it 2x daily and if I miss a dose I know it in a few hours. Without it I have back pain and begin to limp.

October 27, 2009 5:20 PM

Review by Cricket09:

I have been taking Voltaren since I herniated a disc in my lumbar spine in 1999. I have had NO adverse reactions. I have had 2 surgeries, the last in 2007 and was off my medication for 8 months and as soon as I took 1 tablet, I could feel the difference! I highly recommend this medication to all my friends and anyone who needs an anti-inflammatory.

August 3, 2009 1:21 PM

Review by From Stony Plain:

Have Cervical Spondylosis, was amazed how well this medicine works. Tylenol, etc does not reduce the inflammation which is very important in pain management. Take pills 75mg 2 X daily, for 2-3 days, then go off of them until I cannot tolerate the pain. Last time I took Voltaren was in mid March, now it's mid April. Very happy.

April 22, 2009 10:11 AM

Review by O.A MAN:

I have been taking VOLTAREN for about two weeks now. I have found that the medicine works very well. What an advantage to be able to apply the gel right to the affected area, relief comes rather fast. It doesn't last as long as I would like, but when you are in pain, any relief is welcome. Used in conjunction with my other medicines it has helped me to put together a medication regime that helps me to live with this condition. If you have tried oral medicines with negative side effects, please give VOLTAREN a try. I hope you find the relief that I have.

March 9, 2009 12:04 AM

Review by cztiii:

Recently diagnosed with osteoarthitis in both hands. The pain was so bad that I would wake up in the middle of the night in pain and I was not able to use my right hand at all. Doctor put me on voltaren one week ago. So far I have been pain free. Still have swelling in joints but the morning stiffness and pain is gone. Gave it an 8 rating since I have only been on the drug for 1 week. Have experienced some acid reflux and sleepiness during the day. I don't know if it is because of the medicine or other problem.

January 30, 2009 7:22 PM

I've been on this now for 5 months and it is by far the best pain medicine out there. No high feeling or anything like that. If your doctor has you on Celebrex and you don't feel any relief, ask him for Voltaren. You will most certainly feel the difference. If you are on it for any length of time (like me) then every so often you'll have to have blood work done to check your kidneys and liver to make sure they are functioning right as this medicine can cause problems with that. For me everything is good to go so far. I swear by Voltaren.

107 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 23, 2009 3:11 PM

I can walk without limping now. That's all I wanted.

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 15, 2008 12:05 AM

Review by finally:

I have been on all kinds of pain medicines and have had injections in my spine and hip to help relieve the pain from my arthritis, but nothing has worked as good as this. I know there are risks with this medicine, but for the relief I got, the benefits more than outway the risk. This stuff works.

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 19, 2008 12:49 PM

Review by Kalle:

I have severe osteoarthritis and am an active soccer player. Voltaren has helped me play soccer again without pain.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 16, 2008 7:05 PM

Review by lechero:

what a relief....i can walk, bend, squat again.

101 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 11, 2008 12:41 PM