User Reviews for Voltaren Gel

Learn more about Voltaren Gel.

Osteoarthritis 32 reviews 366 medications

8.6
Pain 53 reviews 913 medications

Summary of Voltaren Gel reviews 85 reviews 8.2

Reviews for Voltaren Gel

Review by who dat:

For Pain: Voltaren gel is very helpful and good for any type of pain. ALWAYS ask your Doctor to prescribe. It works well on my pains. I have a spine injury, had 4 back surgeries, also in my shoulders I have bursitis pain and a rotator cuff tear. Voltaren also comes in a 12 hour patch, it works well too.

June 21, 2010 1:13 PM

Review by Can sleep now:

For Pain: Voltaren 1% gel was prescribed for my elderly (92 year old) friend for foot pain. She had a negative reaction to the first application and would not try it again. In desperation and since I have a type of neuropathy in my feet and cannot fall asleep, I applied 1/2 the dosage she was prescribed. To my surprise it allows me to fall asleep at night without the pain and discomfort in my feet. I will be seeing my doctor to get this prescribed for me! I have been looking for relief for over 5 years!

June 7, 2010 7:36 PM

Review by TorisMama:

For Pain: I slipped a disc in my back a year ago and have been in pain ever since! After racking his brain, my doctor gave me a sample of Voltaren Gel. I didn't have high hopes, but it is WONDERFUL! Because I have had Gastric Bypass surgery, I can not take NSAIDS which pretty much leaves me, Tylenol! I did sneak an Aleve after being in so much pain and I was so sick to my stomach. The only negative, if Im in pain and my husband isn't home, it's kind of hard to apply to my own back!!! So I think this is a WONDERFUL medication for a person who can't orally take an anti-inflammatory medication! A true life saver!

May 15, 2010 12:32 AM

For Pain: All I can say is Wow! This medicine is great! I have degenerative disc disease in my neck and lower back, as well as osteoarthritis in my hips and right shoulder (right shoulder is due to a broken humeral head and torn muscle from a 4-wheeler accident). 2 years ago I wrecked my 4-wheeler, so bad that I could not walk or even bathe myself for 2 weeks. I have been in severe pain and have tried everything, including nerve block injections, and incredibly high pain medicines (including Valium and Oxycodone). The doctor gave me this gel a week ago and said to use it for my neck. My neck is doing great, and after reading all of these reviews I am going to try it on my hips and shoulder!

May 7, 2010 3:32 PM

Review by VoltarenGelWorksforMe:

For Osteoarthritis: The base knuckle of my index finger has been sore for a year. XRAYs showed no arthritis so my doctor can't figure out what's wrong with my finger. I tried using the Voltaren Gel on it and it helps tremendously. The pain goes away, but unfortunately it comes back when I stop using the gel. I am so glad I found something to help with the pain, but I'm disappointed that it's not permanent relief. I don't want to rely on medicine to treat pain - I wish it would just go away.

April 27, 2010 11:59 AM

For Pain: I have suffered from Rotator Cuff pain along with mid back spasms radiating into the lower back. I've used Lidocaine patches, pain management trigger point injections, and acupuncture. When my PA handed me 2 tubes of this gel, I didn't have much hope for it. Within minutes of applying as directed, not only was my pain gone, but so was the muscle stiffness! I urge you to try it!

April 18, 2010 11:44 AM

For Osteoarthritis: Good alternative to oral NSAIDs. It does get the medicine into your system and that helps.

March 24, 2010 3:01 PM

Review by springvml:

For Osteoarthritis: Often my jaw cramps up and hurts more than my knees do before a storm. The Voltaren Gel also helps with the bone pain I get along my temples and at the base of my skull, so I am thankful that it is a non-greasy gel instead of a cream. (These areas of pain come from a compression head injury I got as a teenager.) I have a lot of problems trying to take anything for the arthritis in oral form, and I still take Aciphex along with using the Voltaren Gel as a precaution. (This product works well with even less than the amount suggested, so a tube goes further for me; I use up about 1 1/2 tubes each month.)

March 8, 2010 10:54 AM

Review by Second Hand User:

For Pain: My mom was given this medicine by her 'pain doctor' for chronic pain in her ankle, hip and knees. She said it didn't do anything for her. I suffer from stiff shoulders and neck pain, caused by sitting at a computer all day, carrying a heavy laptop and purse. I used it on my neck and shoulders since it was an anti-inflammatory. It worked for me, I noticed a significant 'loosening' of my 'tight' shoulder muscles with just one application. I'm sold! I'm gonna get mom to give it another go!

February 6, 2010 12:53 PM

Review by lightshow:

For Osteoarthritis: I applied it to my knees this afternoon and was AMAZED, no more pain. I read the label and then used it. I should have looked further (http://www.drugs.com/cdi/voltaren-gel-gel.html). The maker (Novartis) issued a warning letter in December, noting problems. Looks like I'll still be getting my Hyalgen shot on Friday. I will follow up with my Doc(I used a free-sample) and go from there. I have liver tests every 6 months due to blood pressure medicines and the beer I drink too much of. I hope I will be able take this medicine safely: it sure does work.

February 3, 2010 6:14 PM

Review by oskabigbear:

For Osteoarthritis: My Doctor put me on this Voltaren gel and now I can get a goodnights sleep , because it works so good, and I have to rate this medicine in the high 10s. All you have to do is put between 4 up to 9 gram 4 times a day and you will see just what I'm talking about.

January 25, 2010 3:57 PM

For Pain: I had no clue what this stuff was. My grandma has been using it for her elbow. I was having a "blonde" moment I guess cause I was thinking how can a gel work when her pain is under the skin? Well I've been having horrible knee pain, I'm seeing a knee specialist this week. I picked up her tube and thought I'd give it a try thinking it would do nothing. When I got up out of the chair I was amazed! Hardly any pain at all. I looked back at the gel and thought "no way" this has got to be in my head. So I got on the computer and decided to research this a little, I think when I go to my specialist I will ask for a prescription for this. However I think I may have used just a little too much, oh well!

December 8, 2009 2:18 AM

Review by Jersey Flash:

For Pain: I was perscrbed Voltaren for knee pain. It seems when the surgeon replaced my knee he damaged the nerve badly...I had been in pain for a long time...thanks to this product I can sleep at night now. It worked well for me.

September 28, 2009 6:01 PM

For Pain: I had to go off anti-inflammatories orally. This gel is what keeps me walking.

September 14, 2009 9:51 AM

Review by dannyO:

For Osteoarthritis: Love it. Nothing held until I tried this, after a few minutes NO pain.

August 19, 2009 1:03 PM

For Pain: I got this a week ago from my doctor, I've been having severe back pain and shooting pain. In the past I've tried everything pain killers, lido patches, steroid injections, physical therapy. I put on 2 grams of the gel and the agonizing ache that I've had was gone in no more than 30 seconds. I still get the shooting pain but that's a nerve issue. I really, really love this gel.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 15, 2009 3:26 AM

Review by mcobama:

For Osteoarthritis: I was experiencing joint pain in my knees and right elbow. On my last physical my doctor gave me a prescription for the gel. Wow! Ever since I have used it I have not experienced the joint pain at all. I have not experienced any side effects at all. I recommend this product for anyone experiencing joint pain.

August 14, 2009 10:12 PM

For Pain: Amazing is the only description I can give. In a lifting accident I was not able to sleep for 2 weeks, tried Chiro, Steroids, Muscle relaxants, Hydrocodone, sleeping pills, nothing worked until I rubbed 2gr on the affected area - Instantly pain was gone.

July 31, 2009 12:21 PM

For Pain: My Rheumatologist prescribed the Voltaren Gel to use with my oral Meloxicam and the combination is tremendous. I am having very little pain for the first time in 3 years in my knees and feet. On a recent business trip to Germany I purchased 4 large tubes of a higher strength (over the counter in Germany and Switzerland) for 1/3 the price of my copay. A very effective drug for me.

July 12, 2009 11:20 PM

Review by maemae47:

For Pain: I love this gel. Just 10 seconds after I put it on an area with severe pain, the pain is gone completely for 2 hours. I couldn't believe it the first time I used it. I take some other strong prescription medication for knee and back pain and the medications don't do as good a job on the pain as this gel. I wish I could use it more than 4 times a day, but during my waking hours, it is a God send. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I would do a commercial for Voltaren Gel anytime, for free!

July 8, 2009 6:55 PM

For Osteoarthritis: This medicine is pretty miraculous as far as my joints are concerned. I'm using much less than the 2gram dose - maybe 1/4 to 1/2 a gram on a joint, tops - and having at least 8 hours pain free. It seems no studies were conducted on it's use on shoulders, but it worked decently enough for mine when I pinched a nerve. Make sure you read the possible side effects and all the potential negatives, and test on a single area with someone with you for a couple hours just to make sure you're not allergic. It's been problem-free for me, but everyone's body chemistry is different.

May 10, 2009 10:41 PM

Review by bacs46:

For Pain: Started using gel for "frozen toe". Had pain about 75% of the time ranging up to 7 or 8. Had difficulty putting on shoes due to bending of big toe. After using Voltaren gel 2-3 times a day, after just 2 days pain was greatly reduced. And if there is any pain, it's only about a level 3 or 4. Have recently started using it on knees. Seems to help but not as dramatically as toe. I really like that fact that very little of the diclofenac goes systemic.

May 4, 2009 3:02 AM

Review by smiley609:

For Pain: In 1981 I had severe heel pain and was living in Germany. I was prescribed a topical gel called Rheumone gel. It worked great. I had occasion to use it several times while we lived there. When I got back to the States, no luck in finding it. Then, about 6 months ago my daughter was prescribed Voltaren Gel. Hurrah! It is made in Germany by the same company as the Rheumone gel. It smells the same and works the same. My doctor has prescribed it to me for the arthritis and pain. It does a wonderful job.

April 22, 2009 6:44 PM

For Pain: I use Voltaren Gel for shin splints. I experienced extreme pain from shin splints everytime I run for a few days in a row. This problem has been going on for the last 12 years. If I push through with the pain for a couple of weeks it will get so bad that I won%u2019t be able to walk for a couple of days. Ever since my first year of track I haven%u2019t been able to run competitively. About six months ago as I was walking out of the doctor%u2019s office a sales rep came in with Voltaren Gel. The doctor stopped me to gave me the sample tube. With that tube I was able to train for a 5k race and come in 3rd. In a week from now I will be running a marathon. The gel has changed my life because it has brought relief to my legs.

April 10, 2009 12:36 AM

For Osteoarthritis: This gel is so effective that I don't need to take ibuprofen anymore. Very soothing, quick acting, long lasting, pleasant smell that soon dissipates.

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 20, 2009 12:15 AM