User Reviews for Voltaren Gel

Learn more about Voltaren Gel.

Voltaren Gel review summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

Compare all 1832 medications used in the treatment of Pain.

Reviews for Voltaren Gel to treat Pain

Review by Dan0 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Used to treat severe back pain with spasms. Gave me good pain relief but didn't help quiet spasms. Very pleased to find a pain reliever other than narcotics that helped reduce my lower back, neck, and leg pain.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 19, 2014 9:48 AM

Review by austin active (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Was using this for achilles micro tears from playing tennis, also tennis elbow-tendonitis. Side effect was blistering on the skin for treatment of achilles injury, no side effects for tennis elbow problem.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 26, 2014 5:30 PM

I was diagnosed with neuropathy in my right knee down to my foot. This pain started when I was pregnant with my first son 23 years ago. It has gotten worse over the years. To make matters worse, I tore ligaments in my ankle from a fall at work. Finally after worker's comp. only with my ankle, I was referred to a neurologist. They did many tests and indicated that it was a sensory nerve injury. He gave me a sample of this gel and told me to apply it 4x a day. It worked wonders. Pain was gone! I hope it continues to works this well in the future.

May 17, 2014 8:24 PM

Review by 1smartdumbgirl (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Not sure exactly what condition I have, Doctor's have just generically named it "Peripheral Neuropathy" but there's more to it than that. I'm 38 now & I've battled this since I was a child. I have this intense burning ache that began as a child in my feet & has gotten worse over time. It also affects my hands. It used to just act up at bedtime, so bad at times that I had to wrap my feet in ice packs to get relief. Now it's all hours & hands/feet and I have a stiffness and severe putting edema that pops up & then disappears with no regularity. There's no explanation from Doctor's YET. I was given this cream and I rub it into my hands, wrists, feet, & lower legs. It does seem to calm things some, reduces the burn.

January 11, 2014 7:17 PM

Was prescribed for my knee after a torn ligament. Was not helpful then. Just tried it again for some muscle pain in my neck again no relief.

October 22, 2013 11:21 PM

Review by Cath in KC (taken for less than 1 month):

Foot pain near 5th meta-tarsal. X-rays and MRI indicate possibly a small bone spur. Doctor prescribed Voltaren gel for pain. Been using 4 times a day as indicated for 3 days so far and absolutely no change. I'll keep using it for 2 weeks and see if there might be some improvement.

October 17, 2013 10:06 AM

Review by Earth Muffin (taken for less than 1 month):

I have peripheral nerve damage that caused drop foot and horrible neuropathy. For years I have suffered tingling and burning pain on my left ankle and foot, and the back of my thigh felt badly sunburned. I have seen many doctors including a pain management doctor who prescribed narcotic pain medication. None of these meds took away the burning nerve pain in my foot and the side effects interfered with my ability to concentrate at work. My family doctor prescribed Lyrica and it helped a lot, but I still had constant pain. She prescribed Voltaren gel for me to try and the results are nothing short of a miracle. After only two doses my foot felt better than it ever has since my injury in 1997. The awful constant burning sensation is gone!

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 25, 2013 1:12 AM

Review by Sammmyy (taken for less than 1 month):

Amazing! Perfect!

June 15, 2013 12:21 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

I have had horrible shooting pain in my face and head from Trigerminal neuralgia. I was written a script by my doctor who said to try it on the temple and jaw to stop the pain. Low and behold within minutes the pain stopped! This is honestly one of the best medications out there, it's amazing to have relief so quickly!

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 8, 2013 11:44 PM

Review by mimilove:

My grandmother had Voltaren gel for her, but when my knee wouldn't bend and I began to have pain, she let me use her gel. So far, I've placed it on my right knee and the pain was almost gone. I've placed the gel on again and the pain is disappearing. I'm 19 and there is no way I should be having joint pain...the gel works great.

January 14, 2013 7:39 AM

Review by user209 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I use this gel for both a general purpose anti-inflammatory and for tendinitis in my wrists, It works well with inflammation and it works miracles on tendinitis. Within seconds of applying I'm able to move my wrist with almost no pain. Causes skin irritation if used too often however.

January 7, 2013 10:48 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have been using Voltaren Gel for Osteoarthritis and just had a hip replacement. Although I have a chronic condition it has helped to relieve some of the constant pain I am in. Voltaren Gel makes my day much more tolerable.

September 22, 2012 1:33 PM

I tore some muscle and tendon in my hip/leg. Had to get an injection when initially hurt and then went 3 weeks trying to deal with the pain using ibuprofen and it didn't take it down to anything other than than a 4 on my pain scale. This is awesome. It's taken it down to a 0 and I can walk without pain and sleep without waking up constantly.

March 30, 2012 1:27 AM

Review by The Mad Man:

I am happy with the Voltaren Gel. I have had 4 operations on my back. I have had metal put into my back to correct the bone structure and then had the metal taken out about 4 years later. I have been on the gel for about one year off and on as needed. It helps bring down the pain I experience on a bad day. It takes a little while to work but it gets me to sleep at night when the pain is really bad. I have degenerative joint/disc disease and also problems with my periformus muscle and this gel helps bring down the pain. I recommend it and only need to use it 2x a day as per the directions. I have made the mistake of using more than prescribed and found problems when I use too much so follow the directions.

January 9, 2012 12:34 PM

Review by HopefulInAlabama:

I have fibromyalgia with chronic fatigue syndrome, degenerative disc disease, a bulging disc in my lower back with arthritis of the face joints and in my hands. I hurt my back June 2010 and it is like everything that caused me pain started to feed off one another and my back was the last straw. I'm going to the chiropractor every 2 weeks. I had 3 epidurals in the space of about 3-4 months with no relief. I swapped pain management doctors and am now on 15mg of oxycodone every 6 hours, 4mg Zanaflex every 8 hours, 500mg of Naproxen every 12 hours, 40mg Celexa once a day and 600mg of Neurontin every 8 hours just to sort of be able to function. Was given a sample of Voltaren today and used it on my hands and back. Amazing! The pain is greatly diminished. Can't wait to try more.

November 30, 2011 12:29 AM

Review by backpain sufferer:

I use the Voltaren gel for my back pain. I have herniated disc from L3 to L5 on both right and left with pinched nerve at S1 so I have very severe pain which radiates down the back of my legs. My doctor gave me the Voltaren gel to use and it has worked wonders for me.

October 13, 2011 10:05 AM

Review by smeggy:

I think it's probably a good product but not the right medicine for my condition. I have very inflamed painful bursitis under my scapula that throws all my muscles in my back/neck out of whack and creates a lot of transferred pain and problems for me. I was hoping this Voltaren gel my rheumatologist prescribed would help since the Celebrex and muscle relaxers alone are not doing the trick. But I do not detect any difference when I use it. However, I do occasionally get soreness in my left knee and when I tried it on that, it did seem to help.

September 11, 2011 1:37 PM

Review by GoodStuff:

I have Fibromyalgia and it does help. Because fibromyalgia is a different sort of beast it helps some but does not knock it out. However, it reduces pain very quickly. Using more at one time or more frequently does not bring the pain down any more. It did not work that much on my wrists and hands where carpel tunnel is "suspected" but they are not certain what it is. Some other pain on hand and arm were helped but not overly so.

September 1, 2011 5:11 PM

Review by Painfree in Arizona:

I have been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis, Raynaud's Syndrome, and Polymyalgia Rheumatica (PMR). Since the 1950's I have suffered neck pain when doing a chore in one position for a long period of time. I have exercised on a regular basis for many years and in 2009 I injured my rotator cuff on a piece of gym equipment. After the physical therapy was finished I was experiencing sharp pain radiating from my shoulder to my neck. I asked my doctor at the time, a rheumatoligist, if this was arthritis now coming from the shoulder. He gave me a tube of Voltaren Gel to try and it has been wonderful. I only rub two pea sized drops between my shoulder and neck in the morning and have no pain the rest of the day.

July 26, 2011 12:39 AM

Had bursitis in the shoulder and haven't had the time to go for a cortisone shot. Suffered through 2 weeks waiting for it to subside (doctor's on vacation) but doesn't seem to get better. Pharmacist gave me some of this, had the wife rub it on. I thought that I must be going out of my mind, because it felt better WITHIN SECONDS. I'd say 90% of the pain is gone. This is the best. I'll use it a week, and then if it still hurts, I'll go to the doctor. Worth every penny.

July 22, 2011 3:46 PM

I have been a chronic pain sufferer for over twenty years. I take some heavy duty pain medicines and still there are just not enough medicines some days. It truly surprised me how well this medicine works. I can't take NSAIDs for more than a day or two without causing tummy troubles. I keep a tube with me now at all times. I highly recommend this to anyone with muscle or joint pain. I've used Lidoderm patches and TENS unit, probably been on every possible combination of medicines. This medicine really helps me.

July 7, 2011 3:22 PM

The gel helps with the pain but my stomach was a little upset, I got a mild headache and I felt very drowsy and out of it. Yes I know it's the gel but I still had side effects. I only rubbed in a small amount. I can't swear by it but I think it also caused me to have several anxiety attacks which I think are related to the woozy out of it feeling. It says it makes you dizzy on the box.

April 4, 2011 2:33 PM

I had a ganglion cyst removed a year ago. I began to have pain in my wrist from inflammed scar tissue. The gel has helped tremendously with the pain. Some days I don't even need to wear my wrist brace anymore. Just wish it wasn't so expensive. Even with my health insurance the prescription was pretty expensive.

February 24, 2011 12:24 PM

Review by diantasyreads:

I have been having severe back and neck pain for years and was taking ibuprofen 24 hours a day. My doctor told me that was very bad for my stomach and to use the Voltaren Gel instead and I found it to be wonderful, comfortable and it smells nice. Two days after I started using the Voltaren Gel I was so much more comfortable and now I alternate the ibuprofen 200 with the Gel and only use the Ibuprofen 200 two times a day. I can sleep a whole night. My back condition is in the muscles and and they are in spasm much of the time. Voltaren calms the spasms down and makes the pain tolerable. I am so glad to have found it.

January 15, 2011 7:41 AM

This gel worked great on the neuropathy pain in my hands and feet. It didn't take away the pain completely, but reduced it dramatically.

November 18, 2010 5:09 PM