User Reviews for Valium

Learn more about Valium.

Valium Rating Summary

8.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 102 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Valium to treat Anxiety

"I had pain in my stomach no one could diagnose for three months. I was put on SSRI that made me worse an I lost 35 pounds with no appetite. Pain one day released and I became extremely anxious . by taking a small dose of Valium in the am and pm I am so much better also was given Dr Claire Weeks book which helped. I never thought I would recover hang in there."

Jeri jo January 17, 2016

"I have been on diazepam long term, started because of PTSD. It is a mild sedative if I'm relaxing I'll get tired, if I'm working I don't get tired I just feel no negative feelings. It really is a chill pill. I am in construction field now and no issues and if I take one before going to bed my back pain soothes (Valium is mild muscle relaxer) and I always seem to have pleasant dreams. Never had a bad dream since on Valium, but at the same time it isn't luxurious or fantasy dreams either. It has been a miracle drug for me. I do not like how doctors now like to avoid benzos. Valium is a great medicine. I take 30mg per day generic brand. Hope this helps someone."

Nellbear December 11, 2015

"I have tried a lot of different anti- anxiety meds and Valium is the only one that actually works for me and I don't get nasty side effects with."

Bree85 (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 3, 2015

"i've tried everything for panic attacks and depersonalization so far. i don't like ssri's they make me feel like a zombie. i don't really have any side effects which is very rare as i'm sensetive to a lot of drugs/food anything you name it. I do find sometimes the day after i'm still tired and a bit depressed. I have 4mg+ if i'm having a panic attack it seems to help quite a lot. i take 2mg if i'm going to a party or a new place and take more if i need to. i'm going to try propanolol next i heard it's great too."

khamilton133 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 25, 2015

"I have had very bad anxiety since I was in my teens. Tried all sorts of other tablets nothing worked for me. I couldn't leave the house, no girlfriends. Then I was put on valium (diazepam). I take 10mg in the morning and 10mg at night and have done for 24 years. Changed my life. Got a great job, married, 2 kids, never took more than I was given. The doctor's tried to get me off it, I tried to come off it but went back into my head,fear off going to work, fear off going out. So went back on diazepam and was able to work, be a husband, Father. This drug saved my life. It makes me so mad because off dope heads selling it and given it a bad name. The only thing is make sure you stick to your dose, and never just stop taken it."

Anonymous October 19, 2015

105 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I took Valium for nearly 20 yrs for anxiety and functioned just great. My Dr retired and I had to find another. He is weening me off, now down to 2.5mg twice a day. I am miserable ! I'm stuck in my home, can't sleep, and my heart and stomach are going wild. I don't know how much more of this I can stand ! I feel I'm going to have a heart attack, I've lost so much weight I look terrible. And my Dr doesn't seem to notice or even care. He says he cannot be writing for it. I am not a dope head. I am a 53 yr old grandma who needs help. My children worry about me all the time. What is a person to do ?? Go to the street ?? I don't know that kinda life and don't want to. I can't afford a psychiatrist, just a Dr that cares !"

anxiety 101 (taken for 10 years or more) October 14, 2015

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I am male age 65 years old. My nurse practitioner is trying to wean me off Valium after taking it ( 5 mgs) since I was 23..that's 43 years. It has been doing it's job for me. It gave me back my life. I have extreme anxiety disorders. My original physician gave me no hassle. He died, and I had to get a new Doctor. Things were fine until this past year when out of the blue she recommended me getting off the drug. I never abused it, but she is adamant about it. So, I am trying..truly am. It's not going too well. I am wondering if I should find a new Dr. and take my records there. I think my age has something to do with it, but getting off it is almost a nightmare. Does anyone have any suggestions?? I really would like some feedback from others."

Drewadam September 28, 2015

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I don't like medication in general but this one got me thru work ,divorced single parent of 2 children. No side affects, very qualified professional work. Then I became wheelchair disabled on the job, I was ripped off by family of 96,000 dollars during a 2yr hospitalization. With corticosteroids I resumed the 5mg valium which helped. For me I only need 1 a day although prescribed 4, so they last me 6 mos to a year. IM LUCKY for I don't like to feel dopey just normal. If I've gotten into an insomnia state for a stressful situation with my autoimmune condition is the only time I'd taken 2 to sleep if tylenol pm didn't work. "

Calm Dee (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 26, 2015

"I'm 21 years old and have terrible Social Anxiety, Hypochondria, GAD, and Night Terrors. I've tried Xanax, Klonopin, and Ativan for my anxiety. Xanax didn't last long enough, Klonopin gave me moodiness, and Ativan did nothing. My doctor gives me Diazepam (Valium) 5 mg/four times a day and it's a MIRACLE. I can't tell you how tremendously Valium has improved my life. I'm constantly mellow now, can think straight, and sleep restfully at night. The effects also last all day and keep me anxiety-free. Valium has definitely given me my life back!"

AtPeaceNow (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 23, 2015

101 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"My disclaimer is: Valium is highly effective in treating stress and anxiety reactions. It has a wide therapeutic index. It is sometimes overly affective thus why people abuse it. If you do; I can promise the effects will be life damaging. When taken responsibly (usually a few times a week as needed) it is safe & a godsend for those crippled with anxiety. I had no side effects."

Alexander-X (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 23, 2015

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I've suffered from debilitating headaches always beginning in my lower neck from tension. Often these headaches about twice a month would morph into full blown migraines lasting 1 to 2 days. 5mg of Valium relaxes my neck muscles with an aspirin and I'm good to go and have my life back. The migraine meds caused terrible side effects."

Busy Granny August 3, 2015

"My experience with this drug has been overwhelmingly positive. I suffer from panic attacks, as well as agoraphobia, and despite having been on Valium for many years now, it has retained its efficacy and it has greatly enhance the quality of my life. Frankly, I do not know what I would do without it. Yes, yes, yes, I am all too well aware of the numerous warnings and tales of woe which have accompanied usage of this drug by other individuals less fortunate than myself, but I can only speak to what this drug has done for MY life. I am now 51 years old, and have taken this drug on and off for most of my adult life, starting when I was 18 years old. I become angry when I read proposals to limit prescription of this drug to psychiatrists...."

philipcfromnyc01 August 2, 2015

"After taking Chantix for smoking cessation I fell into a spiral of severe dèpression. I didn't feel like leaving my home other than going to work I gained 25 pounds and felt my life was hopeless I had always felt like an extrovert trapped in an intraverts body. I stumbled upon Valium when my husband gave me one for muscle cramps. The effects were amazing! I no longer felt trapped in I my prison of isolation and misery. A word of caution though: this drug is addictive and should be taken in small amounts and withdrawal should be done slowly and under medical supervision. It is a shame Valium has such a bad rap"

Lisa Low August 1, 2015

"I have fibro and stenosis and take cymbalta, flexeril, elavil and a few others. My Dr said I have adjustment disorder and sent me to a psychiatrist. He prescribed 5 mg twice a day and 10 mg at bedtime and it's worked wonders. I'm sleeping 7 to 8 hours a night for the first time in over five years. My mind and body feel relaxed. I'm so thankful that I saw this Dr, this med has been the only thing that's helped me."

Goldie8 July 2, 2015

"I used to be on valium back in the 90s when it was easier to get for panic attacks and ptsd and when the narcotics laws changed I got off of them because my family doctor wouldn't give them to me. Panic attacks started happening again when I have a thyroid disorder. Now I'm seeing a psychiatrist to get them again and they have given me part of my life back. Before seeing psychiatrist my Dr tried me on multiple different ssri and none of them work. And ssri drugs have me ED. Valium has only 1 side effect to me and that is just being drowsy for an hour or so. Valium is a life saver."

Electrician212 July 1, 2015

"I started having major panic attacks and general anxiety cuased by the bereavement of my daughter who dies unexpectedly a few months ago. I would wake up int he morning with butterflies in my stomach and feeling like a deer in the headlights. As the day progressed it only got worse. After weeks of this it was just unbearable. I went to see a psychiatrist who prescribed valium- the lowest dose. I take half a pill in the morning and evening and have been on this regimen for two weeks. I cannot begin to tell you what a tremendous relief this drug has provided. I am very sensitive to all kinds of meds and the strongest thing I ever take is Ibuprofen. I had no bad reactions nor any side effects. Awesome."

MissPK (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2015

115 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been taking valium for 15 years for sleep and anxiety 15-30mg. This drug has worked good through the years but I have begun to notice memory and balance issues so I decided to get off of it. The first time I quickly tapered and one night I awoke to a racing heart beat, tremors, & an intense feeling like my head, face, & back were on fire. I had to go back on because of this. Now I'm doing a slow taper so far have gone from 15mg to 7.5mg over 4 months. Going from 15-10mg was easy but going under 10mg has been very difficult at times. For years I was very much positive about this drug but I do not think you should take it for more than a month unless you just have to have it. Just be careful withdrawals can kill."

jhuckmg25 (taken for 10 years or more) April 24, 2015

"Take 7.5mg twice a day and it prevents my anxiety from getting out of control and stops my frequent panic attacks. The only medication that has worked for me so far. Hopefully my doctor will be ok with this medication long term and not going back to trying SSRI after SSRI."

TyHaDe (taken for less than 1 month) April 18, 2015

"Other than drowsiness for about 45 minutes after taking it, great medicine! Works in like 10 minutes, so if I feel a panic attack coming on I take my dosage and before I know it I'm calm. It enables me to go into mass public places and can go into crowded restaurants with my family. Valium has given me a huge part of my life back. I know most doctors are against it because dope heads have abused this type of drug. You can only get it from a psychiatrist now but it saved my social life so I see the shrink monthly! Thanks valium"

Brandon1981 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 15, 2015

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been taking Valium every day for 5 years for anxiety and muscle spasms. Good to kill 2 birds with one stone. I take a relatively microscopic dose of 2.5mg/day, and after 5 years, I have probably built up a tolerance to it so that this tiny dose has no physiological effect any more. But even if I'm now getting the placebo effect from it, I don't care. I don't have panic attacks any more and that's all I really care about."

Mr. J (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 29, 2015

"Two years ago, I couldn't sleep, my doctor gave me all type of sleep meds, nothing worked. The only med works is this. I take 5mg every night on and off for 2 years. No side effect."

Emily lane 1980 March 20, 2015

"mild-moderate anxiolytic effect but Long lasting. Definite calming effect and sense of tranquility. I weened off of 5mg of Xanax with this wonderful drug and had virtually no withdrawal. Makes me feel level headed and at peace when I start to stress"

Dandawolf (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 13, 2015

"Great all around benzodiazepine! Lasts long and is generally mild but does the job!"

Anxiety Mike (taken for 10 years or more) December 22, 2014

91 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I reacted harshly to this medicine. It turns out that I am someone who is sensitive to this medicine and was best prescribed it at the pediatric level of 1mg. Now that we have found the correct dose, it does wonders for large overwhelming panic attacks."

Chaiya (taken for less than 1 month) November 19, 2014

"This is the ONLY medicine in the benzodiazepine family that is useful to me for BOTH panic attacks AND sleep! Great results."

xjunkie4jesus (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 15, 2014

139 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 4 Next