User Reviews for Valium

Learn more about Valium.

Valium Review Summary

8.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 100 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Valium to treat Anxiety

"I'm 21 years old and have terrible Social Anxiety, Hypochondria, GAD, and Night Terrors. I've tried Xanax, Klonopin, and Ativan for my anxiety. Xanax didn't last long enough, Klonopin gave me moodiness, and Ativan did nothing. My doctor gives me Diazepam (Valium) 5 mg/four times a day and it's a MIRACLE. I can't tell you how tremendously Valium has improved my life. I'm constantly mellow now, can think straight, and sleep restfully at night. The effects also last all day and keep me anxiety-free. Valium has definitely given me my life back!"

AtPeaceNow (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 23, 2015

"My disclaimer is: Valium is highly effective in treating stress and anxiety reactions. It has a wide therapeutic index. It is sometimes overly affective thus why people abuse it. If you do; I can promise the effects will be life damaging. When taken responsibly (usually a few times a week as needed) it is safe & a godsend for those crippled with anxiety. I had no side effects."

Alexander-X (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 23, 2015

"I've suffered from debilitating headaches always beginning in my lower neck from tension. Often these headaches about twice a month would morph into full blown migraines lasting 1 to 2 days. 5mg of Valium relaxes my neck muscles with an aspirin and I'm good to go and have my life back. The migraine meds caused terrible side effects."

Busy Granny August 3, 2015

"My experience with this drug has been overwhelmingly positive. I suffer from panic attacks, as well as agoraphobia, and despite having been on Valium for many years now, it has retained its efficacy and it has greatly enhance the quality of my life. Frankly, I do not know what I would do without it. Yes, yes, yes, I am all too well aware of the numerous warnings and tales of woe which have accompanied usage of this drug by other individuals less fortunate than myself, but I can only speak to what this drug has done for MY life. I am now 51 years old, and have taken this drug on and off for most of my adult life, starting when I was 18 years old. I become angry when I read proposals to limit prescription of this drug to psychiatrists...."

philipcfromnyc01 August 2, 2015

"After taking Chantix for smoking cessation I fell into a spiral of severe dèpression. I didn't feel like leaving my home other than going to work I gained 25 pounds and felt my life was hopeless I had always felt like an extrovert trapped in an intraverts body. I stumbled upon Valium when my husband gave me one for muscle cramps. The effects were amazing! I no longer felt trapped in I my prison of isolation and misery. A word of caution though: this drug is addictive and should be taken in small amounts and withdrawal should be done slowly and under medical supervision. It is a shame Valium has such a bad rap"

Lisa Low August 1, 2015

"I have fibro and stenosis and take cymbalta, flexeril, elavil and a few others. My Dr said I have adjustment disorder and sent me to a psychiatrist. He prescribed 5 mg twice a day and 10 mg at bedtime and it's worked wonders. I'm sleeping 7 to 8 hours a night for the first time in over five years. My mind and body feel relaxed. I'm so thankful that I saw this Dr, this med has been the only thing that's helped me."

Goldie8 July 2, 2015

"I used to be on valium back in the 90s when it was easier to get for panic attacks and ptsd and when the narcotics laws changed I got off of them because my family doctor wouldn't give them to me. Panic attacks started happening again when I have a thyroid disorder. Now I'm seeing a psychiatrist to get them again and they have given me part of my life back. Before seeing psychiatrist my Dr tried me on multiple different ssri and none of them work. And ssri drugs have me ED. Valium has only 1 side effect to me and that is just being drowsy for an hour or so. Valium is a life saver."

Electrician212 July 1, 2015

"I started having major panic attacks and general anxiety cuased by the bereavement of my daughter who dies unexpectedly a few months ago. I would wake up int he morning with butterflies in my stomach and feeling like a deer in the headlights. As the day progressed it only got worse. After weeks of this it was just unbearable. I went to see a psychiatrist who prescribed valium- the lowest dose. I take half a pill in the morning and evening and have been on this regimen for two weeks. I cannot begin to tell you what a tremendous relief this drug has provided. I am very sensitive to all kinds of meds and the strongest thing I ever take is Ibuprofen. I had no bad reactions nor any side effects. Awesome."

MissPK (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2015

"I have been taking valium for 15 years for sleep and anxiety 15-30mg. This drug has worked good through the years but I have begun to notice memory and balance issues so I decided to get off of it. The first time I quickly tapered and one night I awoke to a racing heart beat, tremors, & an intense feeling like my head, face, & back were on fire. I had to go back on because of this. Now I'm doing a slow taper so far have gone from 15mg to 7.5mg over 4 months. Going from 15-10mg was easy but going under 10mg has been very difficult at times. For years I was very much positive about this drug but I do not think you should take it for more than a month unless you just have to have it. Just be careful withdrawals can kill."

jhuckmg25 (taken for 10 years or more) April 24, 2015

"Take 7.5mg twice a day and it prevents my anxiety from getting out of control and stops my frequent panic attacks. The only medication that has worked for me so far. Hopefully my doctor will be ok with this medication long term and not going back to trying SSRI after SSRI."

TyHaDe (taken for less than 1 month) April 18, 2015

"Other than drowsiness for about 45 minutes after taking it, great medicine! Works in like 10 minutes, so if I feel a panic attack coming on I take my dosage and before I know it I'm calm. It enables me to go into mass public places and can go into crowded restaurants with my family. Valium has given me a huge part of my life back. I know most doctors are against it because dope heads have abused this type of drug. You can only get it from a psychiatrist now but it saved my social life so I see the shrink monthly! Thanks valium"

Brandon1981 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 15, 2015

"I have been taking Valium every day for 5 years for anxiety and muscle spasms. Good to kill 2 birds with one stone. I take a relatively microscopic dose of 2.5mg/day, and after 5 years, I have probably built up a tolerance to it so that this tiny dose has no physiological effect any more. But even if I'm now getting the placebo effect from it, I don't care. I don't have panic attacks any more and that's all I really care about."

Mr. J (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 29, 2015

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Two years ago, I couldn't sleep, my doctor gave me all type of sleep meds, nothing worked. The only med works is this. I take 5mg every night on and off for 2 years. No side effect."

Emily lane 1980 March 20, 2015

"mild-moderate anxiolytic effect but Long lasting. Definite calming effect and sense of tranquility. I weened off of 5mg of Xanax with this wonderful drug and had virtually no withdrawal. Makes me feel level headed and at peace when I start to stress"

Dandawolf (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 13, 2015

"Great all around benzodiazepine! Lasts long and is generally mild but does the job!"

Anxiety Mike (taken for 10 years or more) December 22, 2014

"I reacted harshly to this medicine. It turns out that I am someone who is sensitive to this medicine and was best prescribed it at the pediatric level of 1mg. Now that we have found the correct dose, it does wonders for large overwhelming panic attacks."

Chaiya (taken for less than 1 month) November 19, 2014

"This is the ONLY medicine in the benzodiazepine family that is useful to me for BOTH panic attacks AND sleep! Great results."

xjunkie4jesus (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 15, 2014

125 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was given a sample pack, but it has the opposite effects for me, as I had an increase in fear of danger, and worrying, I was extremely focused, and unable to sleep. My doctor has had me test a few anti anxiety meds Ativan, antidepressants, and the only one that works for me is Xanax at a low dose. I would make sure you consult your doctor first on this one."

Miss Trina (taken for less than 1 month) October 10, 2014

"Recently began suffering generalized anxiety disorder, took me to the point of suicide, prescribed diazepam. The 1st time I took it I felt aggressive and annoyed easily however after a few days I can safely say it has greatly reduced my anxiety for now however my doctor has said he will not let me stay on it due to the bodies ability to easily resist the medicine over time requiring greater doses etc. Desperately do not want to try antidepressants again (due to a previous severe reaction). We shall see."

Batman2014 (taken for less than 1 month) July 19, 2014

"I have major depressive disorder, post traumatic stress disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder, and anxiety. I take two antidepressants and Buspar and Valium for anxiety. I have begun taking 10 mg of Valium several times a day and it helps calm my million mile an hour brain. I wish I didn't have to take so much medication but to live a normal daily life, they are necessary."

denver4b (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 26, 2014

156 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I had ended up in the ER a few times with weird problems like not being able to catch my breath and hyperventilating before I even new they were panic attacks. They started me on Ativan but it made me so hyper and loopy I literately forgot a few days so when I was put on Valium it was a God send. It prevents and treats panic attacks without the loopy feeling and It doesn't affect my ability to perform daily activities so I'd recommend it to anyone seeking this type of help."

janee04 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 2, 2014

169 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"This is a wonderful medicine for anxiety it works within 20 mins and lasts for a long time because of its long half life. However if you are suffering from depression, especially clinical depression I would not recommend taking this. It will worsen your depression symptoms if taken too often. If you started an SSRI antidepressant it can be used early on to help with some side effects like increased anxiety in the first few weeks on the medication."

nocentsonthedollar May 21, 2014

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I've been on just about every benzodiazapine there is and Valium (diazepam) is all around the best for combating debilitating anxiety symptoms. It may not be the most potent benzo, but it has wide and equal benzo effects including sedation, muscle relaxation, anxiolytic, anticonvulsant and can be used for insomnia. Now the main reason why Valium is the best is its extra long half life. It's effects can linger for days which is helpful if you have chronic anxiety. It also prevents those ups and downs short acting benzos cause like Xanax and Ativan. Another thing to note is withdrawal from Valium is by far the most mild out of ALL the benzos. This wonderful medication is an oldie but goodie."

AnxietyMike (taken for 10 years or more) April 8, 2014

256 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Been taking diazepam for a while now, its been helping my everyday life. Since Valium, I've been more upbeat with reality. Only side effect I have is drowsiness. "

Jetted Out (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 5, 2014

124 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I am taking 2mg three times a day for anxiety. The anxiety is much better now and I can go places without having panic attacks. I feel the best I have felt in a long time."

Muffin10a (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 13, 2014

177 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 4 Next