User Reviews for Valium

Learn more about Valium.

Valium review summary

8.9/10 Average Rating

Compare all 100 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Valium to treat Anxiety

Review by Batman2014 (taken for less than 1 month):

Recently began suffering generalized anxiety disorder, took me to the point of suicide, prescribed diazepam. The 1st time I took it I felt aggressive and annoyed easily however after a few days I can safely say it has greatly reduced my anxiety for now however my doctor has said he will not let me stay on it due to the bodies ability to easily resist the medicine over time requiring greater doses etc. Desperately do not want to try antidepressants again (due to a previous severe reaction). We shall see.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 19, 2014 3:42 PM

Review by denver4b (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have major depressive disorder, post traumatic stress disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder, and anxiety. I take two antidepressants and Buspar and Valium for anxiety. I have begun taking 10 mg of Valium several times a day and it helps calm my million mile an hour brain. I wish I didn't have to take so much medication but to live a normal daily life, they are necessary.

June 26, 2014 8:42 PM

Review by janee04 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I had ended up in the ER a few times with weird problems like not being able to catch my breath and hyperventilating before I even new they were panic attacks. They started me on Ativan but it made me so hyper and loopy I literately forgot a few days so when I was put on Valium it was a God send. It prevents and treats panic attacks without the loopy feeling and It doesn't affect my ability to perform daily activities so I'd recommend it to anyone seeking this type of help.

June 2, 2014 12:36 AM

Review by nocentsonthedollar:

This is a wonderful medicine for anxiety it works within 20 mins and lasts for a long time because of its long half life. However if you are suffering from depression, especially clinical depression I would not recommend taking this. It will worsen your depression symptoms if taken too often. If you started an SSRI antidepressant it can be used early on to help with some side effects like increased anxiety in the first few weeks on the medication.

May 21, 2014 11:09 AM

Review by AnxietyMike (taken for 10 years or more):

I've been on just about every benzodiazapine there is and Valium (diazepam) is all around the best for combating debilitating anxiety symptoms. It may not be the most potent benzo, but it has wide and equal benzo effects including sedation, muscle relaxation, anxiolytic, anticonvulsant and can be used for insomnia. Now the main reason why Valium is the best is its extra long half life. It's effects can linger for days which is helpful if you have chronic anxiety. It also prevents those ups and downs short acting benzos cause like Xanax and Ativan. Another thing to note is withdrawal from Valium is by far the most mild out of ALL the benzos. This wonderful medication is an oldie but goodie.

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 8, 2014 9:24 AM

Review by Jetted Out (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Been taking diazepam for a while now, its been helping my everyday life. Since Valium, I've been more upbeat with reality. Only side effect I have is drowsiness.

April 5, 2014 10:35 PM

Review by Muffin10a (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I am taking 2mg three times a day for anxiety. The anxiety is much better now and I can go places without having panic attacks. I feel the best I have felt in a long time.

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 13, 2014 9:58 PM

Review by bluecuda66 (taken for 10 years or more):

Used it for 12 years and it was a life saver great medicine.

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 4, 2014 2:04 AM

Review by Wayne MCFC (taken for 10 years or more):

Valium has been a lifesaver for me, I probably wouldn't be here without it. I suffer from severe anxiety, panic disorder and clinical depression. This has got me through some very bad times when I thought I was dying and couldn't cope. I take 10mg during bad spells and it gets me through.

99 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 22, 2013 6:44 AM

Review by jovell:

It really relieves my anxiety.

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 27, 2013 3:16 AM

Review by Liz1980 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

All of my life I've had varying levels of social anxiety & agoraphobia, usually without any logical cause. Even riding in cars made me unduly nervous. I had a rough, fear-filled childhood and that seemed to set me up for chronic nervousness. But there's no room for that in adult life. Valium eliminates the unnecessary anxiety & also helps with muscle spasms from my fibromyalgia. I don't get fatigue from this during the day. I do find that taking one before bed helps me relax my 100-miles-per-hour brain (stupid racing thoughts & worries) plus my muscles don't get all kinked up in knots while I'm sleeping. I've never needed to increase my dose on it even after several years, since it works as well as the day I started it, personally.

140 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 20, 2013 10:52 AM

Review by Scotteboy:

I've experienced anxiety attack/panic attacks the last 2 years started off slow attacks then they started getting more frequent . Worried so much that I got rushed to hospital 3 times for over breathing . Anyway I work as a miner and so I have to fly a lot and because of my anxiety was getting worse i started getting attacks in the air that was freeking me out so I went to my doctor and he put me on 5mg of Valium and I tell you what I've never felt better just calms me down and relaxs me can't remember the last time I've had a panic attack its great :)

120 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 16, 2013 4:33 PM

Review by Ray1987 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Very effective against anxiety possibly the best.

93 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 15, 2013 4:08 PM

Review by brettrx (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I'm 36, have social anxiety, GAD, TMJ, fibromyalgia, muscle spasms, cluster headaches, & herniated vertebrae. I've taken everything, including 12 years on a high dose of Xanax. After finally convincing a doc to prescribe me Valium, I felt like a different person. It kicks in FAST, but Its long half-life prevents that awful anxiety rebound effect. I find that Valium has a powerful (yet feels gentle) calmative effect on the body as well- which is absolutely wonderful when my muscles & joints are tight. Valium is hands down the best benzo anti-anxiety medication out there.

142 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 9, 2013 5:51 AM

I began taking Valium from doctors in 1968 or 1969 when I was in the Vietnam War and experienced a great deal of combat which affected me very much. It helped. I have been taking Valium for decades. It increases irritability greatly probably because of head wounds that caused brain damage. 1000 to 1200mg Carbamazepine stops or reduces the irritability. Unfortunately, the combination of the two medicines causes tiredness.

December 15, 2012 10:04 PM

Review by serotorch (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have benign recurrent vertigo and migraine-associated vertigo. Both are a source of extreme anxiety for me, and that anxiety makes the spinning worse. Valium (2.5mg as needed) calms the anxiety within 15 or so minutes, and the vertigo tends to leave soon afterwards. I have had no side effects, save for being very hungry the day after I take it. It gave me my life back.

72 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 29, 2012 7:55 PM

Review by Old Soldier (taken for 10 years or more):

When I returned from my second tour in Vietnam in 1971, I was a "mess" mentally. My diagnosis was/is Generalized Anxiety Disorder. After trying various medicines, my psychiatrist settled on 10MG Valium three times a day. Although certain circumstances will still make me anxious, they are limited and my normal life is fine. Has worked for 41 years! Thank you Valium!

96 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 17, 2012 11:01 AM

Review by ellebi (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Life Saviour when it comes to severe anxiety and panic attacks.

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 26, 2012 9:56 AM

Review by Mikeymike420 (taken for 10 years or more):

This is the best anti-anxiety medicine there is. It doesn't leave you with more anxiety if you don't take your next dose due to the long half life. Xanax and Ativan for example have short half lives so you feel terrible in a few hours. Stick to good old fashioned Valium for Anxiety.

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 6, 2012 5:56 PM

Review by RA PAIN (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I find brand Valium has a significantly higher improvement success. But with the cost difference I have to get what I can afford sadly. When I had better insurance I could get brand.

May 15, 2012 10:42 AM

When I finally got a doctor to prescribe Valium it was a life changing start. I always had social anxiety and was very introverted. After being on Valium I quickly moved up in my company because I could interact and socialize with no fears or anxiety. After a few years I was in charge of up to 50 workers and always got good feedback from customers, and professionals related to our work and was able to focus and enjoy dealing with many different personalities. The only problem was getting very sleepy while driving.

71 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 10, 2012 2:21 AM

Review by Daveguess:

Years ago they did not have Xanax. I had panic attacks and this medicine saved me from losing my job for fear of driving! IT was my salvation from the terrible panic attacks!

January 13, 2012 4:54 AM

This was the only thing that gave me some pain relief from severe irritable bowel syndrome, triggered/made worse from anxiety. Thank God for Valium. Only lasted about 3 hrs, but was a low dose of 2mg. Only a small supply was given to me as a short term solution, but I'm so glad I'm finally getting the relief from the anxiety and pain.

December 17, 2011 3:39 AM

Review by ArIck:

Valium worked wonders for me when I realized that my anxiety had been making me a shut-in with a low quality of life. Aside from developing an insatiable appetite at first, it seemed like a miracle. Example: I took a Valium before flying and could not find my luggage in baggage claim. Previously, I would have been shaking, crying and sweating. Instead, I confidently walked over to customer service and learned that my bag will come when the next flight arrives. Self-inflicted meltdown averted. It's long half-life, however, can be a blessing and bad. It lasts practically all day, but that also means it makes me a bit drowsy and lazy all day as well.

December 11, 2011 4:50 PM

Review by Stuttering-boy:

Valium makes me Stutter about 80% less! Wonderful medicine if taken the right way. I can be normal like everybody else, don't know what I would do without it.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 25, 2011 3:47 PM