User Reviews for Dexedrine

Learn more about Dexedrine.

ADHD 39 reviews 31 medications

Narcolepsy 10 reviews 15 medications

8.9
Summary of Dexedrine reviews 49 reviews 9.0

Reviews for Dexedrine

For Narcolepsy "I've been taking dexedrine spansules 15 mg 2 pills at a time, 2-3 times a day for about 30 years for narcolepsy. I'm currently 57 years old. If it weren't for this Rx i would probably never leave my house. Through the years i have tried various alternative meds only to find they don't work as well. Among the alternatives tried are Adderall (made me actuallyy violent); Provigil (absolutely ineffective); and Nuvigil was worse than ineffective...because it gave me the sensation of being high. So i thought it was working and i got behind the wheel of a car...bad idea. Changed back asap. Been on the same dosage for 20 yrs. Side effects: for 10 min every day get bad dry mouth and anxious. Cost is prohibitive."

elegalone (taken for 10 years or more) August 14, 2015

For ADHD "I take 15 mg three times a day along with Ritalin 20 mg three times a day and I am so glad my Doc found this combo!!!! I'm 36 and extremely overweight and I got the got up and go that I never had and the help to keep my mind on very important things and people in my life, like my kids!!"

big momma of 3 (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 6, 2015

For Narcolepsy "Dexedrine was very helpful in treating my narcolepsy. It is dependable without making me nervous. I am able to have a better attention span too! I can sit confidentiality at my desk or be in social situations and have confidence that I will not be falling asleep while someone is talking to me again! Dexedrine is a great medicine for narcolepsy."

Happy and Awake (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 7, 2015

For ADHD "I wouldn't use any other type of ADHD medication! Adderall & many of the newer ADHD medications cause agitation & symptoms that make my condition worse. If I didn't use Dexedrine, I wouldn't take medication to treat my ADHD! More people need to educate themselves, on how to treat ADHD. "

RevG (taken for 10 years or more) March 10, 2015

For Narcolepsy "I was diagnosed with narcolepsy at 18 years old, I have been taking Dexedrine for a little over a year now. I recommend using Dexedrine because it does a great job of keeping you awake without the nasty side effects that other medicines bring, like Adderall. Dexedrine has really changed my life, I am able to confidently drive and good at work without having to worry about falling asleep. I really wish I had this in High School. For all the younger people out there with narcolepsy ask your doctor to put you on Dexedrine, it's less expensive than Adderall and Vyvanse (Vyvanse didn't work for me I fell asleep several times on it). The side effects I find with it is sometimes it gives me mood swings, most of the time its a feeling of optimism."

Seigfred December 30, 2014

For ADHD "I have taken pretty much every type of medication for ADHD. Dextroamphetamine, by far, works best for me. While Adderall contains dextroamphetamine, the l-amphetamine and it gives me very bad anxiety. Dextroamphetamine helps me focus without causing extra anxiety, and I prefer the instant release, which allows me to fall asleep. Ritalin caused anxiety even worse than Adderall did. One thing I recommend is to take a day or two off every week or so. If not, your tolerance might build up and you might find the medication is not working. Also, you need to learn to pay attention to your bodies other signals telling you went to eat. You probably will not feel hungry and your stomach. This does not mean you don't need food, however."

RadicalDelusion (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 29, 2014

For Narcolepsy "Along with narcolepsy, I've also been diagnosed with ADHD. I have been taking dexedrine for the last 4 years. At first it was 5mg tablets which worked for a couple months. As soon as my dose was increased to 10mg spansules a day, my life has been so much easier since then. I can actually concentrate on one thing without wanting to quit in the middle and take a nap. Many side effects including dry mouth almost every day, heart pounding, loss of appetite leading to weight loss, muscles twitching, and severe tiredness if I suddenly stop taking it."

Sleepingstar (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 5, 2014

For ADHD "I have used it for over 15 years. An EEG showed I had quite a bit of extraneous thought, a left and right hemisphere that had identical thought processes and a temporal lobe that was off the chart. Dexedrine changed my life. Unfortunately many Doctors are using outdated/outmoded technology and refuse to prescribe it."

procadman November 13, 2014

For Sexual Dysfunction, SSRI Induced "Heightened sexual experience and multiple erections. At times orgasm may come faster but recovery is fast and frequent. "

Deano64 October 3, 2014

For ADHD "I would suggest anyone on this, to stop or take a break once you've noticed your reasoning, memory recall abilities becoming hindered. Even though I'm happy with the benefits of focus, it's not worth losing your short-term memory. Overtime, I noticed my math skills declined, followed by my word recall, spelling and now I can't remember stories or study material. It's extremely debilitating, I'm trying to figure out how to reverse the side effects."

Aria28 (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 22, 2014

For ADHD "This worked from the very second I started on it 5 years ago; Helped me focus like never before, although being someone with OCD who noticed most things anyway, this magnified it 10 fold. Gave a reserve of energy that helped even when tired. Only side-effects were that you build up a tolerance rather quickly when it comes to the original effect, I began to grind my teeth as I slept, and Had the worst dry mouth ever...could drink a gallon of water in 2 minutes and still have the driest mouth ever. Would recommend."

Wolverine1999 (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 27, 2014

For Narcolepsy "Hopefully my experience will give some with Narcolepsy a little bit of relief taking this medicine. I started taking Dexedrine when I was 31 years old and 100 tablets of Dexedrine cost $5. I am now 71 years old and have been taking this for 40 years and I am still alive without any bad side effects that I am aware of. After taking Dexedrine, I finished nursing school and became an RN. Since that time I have retired. As a teenager in high school, I thought that studying was going to my bed with a book and falling asleep. If it wasn't for a clerical course, I would have never graduated as I couldn't fall asleep typing or taking shorthand. I was amazed how Dexedrine helped me. My does is 2 10 mg tablets 3 times a day."

Watchilla July 19, 2014

For ADHD "Like Adderall without an increased heart rate and increased blood pressure. Also less "edgy"."

Cubster June 6, 2014

For ADHD "This was one of many I tried. I was more satisfied with this one than any of the others. I never had headaches(with some I had terrible headaches!) the time release worked very well. Overall I rate this medicine the best in it's category."

that kathydee lady (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 13, 2014

For ADHD "Great medicine, I recently restarted this medicine after 10 years and I feel normal again. This medicine has given me great peace in my life. I feel calm and collected and I'm quickly understanding what its like to have "free time" I insist that people who find results using this medicine ensure those in government understand the increase in quality of life we are all experiencing. I've rated this medicine 10/10 purely because any cons I've experienced are meaningless compared to been given a life."

Sim123 April 14, 2014

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For ADHD "I'm 46 and was diagnosed with ADHD 2 times when I was a kid but never took the medicine. My life's always felt out of control and emotional roller coaster. I tried Adderall first but it made me to jumpy. I switched to Dextroamphetamine and once I got past the first week and up to my 20 mg a day everything became so much easier to deal with in life. Less stress, better sleep at night and makes me feel "normal". Best medicine in the world but the cost is absolutely ridiculous as I have no insurance."

TB-303 December 23, 2013

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For ADHD "Dexedrine is a SUPERB medication for controlling ADHD Impulsivity. It's a 100% smooth and clean ride compared to Adderall. Unfortunately for me though I lack motivation so Adderall is a better choice for me. I did rate this out of Symptom control. If Dexedrine motivated like Adderall does it would literally be the perfect medication. Pros: Superior Focus Reduced Impulsive decisions the best. Side effects are minimal compared to Adderall Cons: Lacks motivational Kick that Adderall delivers. Only comes in 5MG, 10MG, & 15MG Capsules and is expensive. "

MaximillianL November 30, 2013

For ADHD "Adderall 30mg/day = you feel like a genius, work hard, EYES OPEN WIDE. But at the end of the work day, I still couldn't stop myself from falling asleep on the skytrain at around 4:30 pm when I try to read. Don't think it helped much with depression and anxiety. Dexedrine 3 10mg/day = You have tunnel vision, Focused, block out distractions, helps with my severe anxiety. I think the depression is pretty under control too. Can read all day if I want. Could have really used this when I began my studies, 4 years ago! Not a month ago, with one course.... Either one, I think you perform better at work and school, but Adderall just wore off, so studying after work, you would still need coffee, or a power nap"

Sauce3000 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 25, 2013

For ADHD "This is a wonderful medication. I am so happy I switched from Adderall. I find the focus and concentration to be awesome. Without a doubt it is the cleanest feeling ADHD medications on the market. If you have co-morbid anxiety disorders, this is the medicine to go for. I always felt anxious on Adderal or Ritalin, but the Dexedrine is so smooth that I find my anxiety is being helped! I would definitely recommend this to anyone who has ADHD, especially when others have caused increased agitation. I believe this is the best ADHD medicine on the market."

Hummer Guy August 30, 2013

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For ADHD "My son is now 9. Since 4 years old we have tried every single (literally!) ADHD medication on the market and every single (literally!) medication was never without any serious side effects. My sons specialist suggested Dexedrine as the very last alternative before trying antidepressants. I was hopelessly optimistic, but this medication is truly a gift. I don't know how else to describe it other than being "smooth" and without it I don't know what we would do. His specialist basically said this medicine is a more pure form of amphetamine than the other name brands on the market. If you have tried medicine after medicine....give this a try. It has saved my son and our family."

marymcg July 11, 2013

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For ADHD "Got this for ADD and my chronic fatigue. It changed me. Grades in school went from 60s-80s, I could actually focus long enough to plan my life and pay attention. Only problem I had was the tolerance, although my dosage was raised and now I can take it regularly without feeling it, it made it really hard to sleep if I took it to late, and if the dosage is too high, or you are just starting, you get a really unpleasant buzz. Even though that buzz makes you super motivated and lets you get stuff done, it makes it really hard to relax and makes you more prone to panic attacks."

Lizzi Tree (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 5, 2013

For ADHD "This is the best medicine I've ever tried. It's very smooth and easy on body with least side effect."

Guest12 February 14, 2013

For ADHD "Dexedrine, is simply a miracle. Ever since I was young I felt distant from everyone around me, and I felt as though I was always in my own world. My grades at school really started to suffer once I reached high school which was because of my undiagnosed ADHD. Homework and projects deemed impossible because I could NOT concentrate. Now, after being diagnosed with adult ADHD, I am on Dexedrine XL 15mg and Dexedrine SR 5mg. With this medication, I am doing very well in my university studies. My mind is clutter-free, and I can actually focus on the task at hand! Its simply GREAT! Dexedrine also works great for giving me tons of energy, especially when I need it for work and night school."

MatthewTeee February 4, 2013

For ADHD "I'm 38. Been taking Dexedrine now for my fourth time for a month. I was diagnosed at 21 in 1995. I tried Ritalin for a couple weeks and stopped. Went untreated for a few more years. Went to my doctor about my wild mood swings and EXTREME emotions and told him about Ritalin. He said I should try Dexedrine. Instantly it did wonders. If a coworker said something that would have offended me and got me bent out of shape, it just rolled off my back. I felt great and inspired. It didn't affect my sex drive at all. "

Gargamel49 (taken for 10 years or more) January 3, 2013

For ADHD "I'm a 32 yo girl who has been diagnosed with mood disorder spectrum, which includes: bi-polar II, generalized anxiety/panic disorders and social phobia disorder. I've been treated for them separately for 15 yrs with every psych medicine out there. I haven't been feeling right for awhile, I went off medicines during my 2 pregnancies in last 3yrs. Recently I saw a new Dr that told me about my mood disorder spectrum but he also said I had severe case of ADD which I had never been diagnosed with before. My insurance would only pay for Dexedrine. By my 2nd dose I felt like a new person! I was scared the stimulants would make my anxiety worse but it really makes me calmer and focused. My friends noticed after 1St day that I was feeling better. It's the best thing since Xanax!"

crazychristina (taken for less than 1 month) December 14, 2012