User Reviews for Dexedrine

Learn more about Dexedrine.

Dexedrine Review Summary

8.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 16 medications used in the treatment of Narcolepsy.

Reviews for Dexedrine to treat Narcolepsy

"I've been taking dexedrine spansules 15 mg 2 pills at a time, 2-3 times a day for about 30 years for narcolepsy. I'm currently 57 years old. If it weren't for this Rx i would probably never leave my house. Through the years i have tried various alternative meds only to find they don't work as well. Among the alternatives tried are Adderall (made me actuallyy violent); Provigil (absolutely ineffective); and Nuvigil was worse than ineffective...because it gave me the sensation of being high. So i thought it was working and i got behind the wheel of a car...bad idea. Changed back asap. Been on the same dosage for 20 yrs. Side effects: for 10 min every day get bad dry mouth and anxious. Cost is prohibitive."

elegalone (taken for 10 years or more) August 14, 2015

"Dexedrine was very helpful in treating my narcolepsy. It is dependable without making me nervous. I am able to have a better attention span too! I can sit confidentiality at my desk or be in social situations and have confidence that I will not be falling asleep while someone is talking to me again! Dexedrine is a great medicine for narcolepsy."

Happy and Awake (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 7, 2015

"I was diagnosed with narcolepsy at 18 years old, I have been taking Dexedrine for a little over a year now. I recommend using Dexedrine because it does a great job of keeping you awake without the nasty side effects that other medicines bring, like Adderall. Dexedrine has really changed my life, I am able to confidently drive and good at work without having to worry about falling asleep. I really wish I had this in High School. For all the younger people out there with narcolepsy ask your doctor to put you on Dexedrine, it's less expensive than Adderall and Vyvanse (Vyvanse didn't work for me I fell asleep several times on it). The side effects I find with it is sometimes it gives me mood swings, most of the time its a feeling of optimism."

Seigfred December 30, 2014

"Along with narcolepsy, I've also been diagnosed with ADHD. I have been taking dexedrine for the last 4 years. At first it was 5mg tablets which worked for a couple months. As soon as my dose was increased to 10mg spansules a day, my life has been so much easier since then. I can actually concentrate on one thing without wanting to quit in the middle and take a nap. Many side effects including dry mouth almost every day, heart pounding, loss of appetite leading to weight loss, muscles twitching, and severe tiredness if I suddenly stop taking it."

Sleepingstar (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 5, 2014

"Hopefully my experience will give some with Narcolepsy a little bit of relief taking this medicine. I started taking Dexedrine when I was 31 years old and 100 tablets of Dexedrine cost $5. I am now 71 years old and have been taking this for 40 years and I am still alive without any bad side effects that I am aware of. After taking Dexedrine, I finished nursing school and became an RN. Since that time I have retired. As a teenager in high school, I thought that studying was going to my bed with a book and falling asleep. If it wasn't for a clerical course, I would have never graduated as I couldn't fall asleep typing or taking shorthand. I was amazed how Dexedrine helped me. My does is 2 10 mg tablets 3 times a day."

Watchilla July 19, 2014

"I have been taking one 10 mg spansule and one 5 mg tablet in the morning and same dose at lunchtime for over ten years (since I was diagnosed with Narcolepsy). It has been a life saver for me. Keeps me alert while driving. I was told by several Doctors over the years to STOP taking it because I would need more and more of it as time went on. My dose has always been the same and I sometimes don't take all of that. My neurologist has recently started me on Nuvigil and since that may work by itself I have decided to taper myself off the Dexedrine to see if the Nuvigil may be all I need. So far no problems. I agree with comment that Dexedrine has an un-deserved bad rep. "

VintageBeachgirl April 23, 2012

"Dexedrine is great, aside from the increased anxiety. I currently take 90mg daily - both the 5mg tabs and the 15mg spansules. I require two 20mins naps/day, but will still have sleep attacks if I'm inactive. It may not sound overly great but without Dexedrine I'd never leave my bed/couch, as I fall asleep every 10 mins. So essentially, it does a world of difference."

riL0 March 4, 2011

"I was diagnosed with narcolepsy about 5 years ago and have had very good results by taking Dexedrine."

roc b. June 10, 2009

"I am at the maximum amount per day 60mg. It has helped to a certain extent. I do not need a nap to make it through a normal work day. I still have random sleep attacks when sitting/quite/inactive. It only lasts about 10 hours for me. (That is at the maximum allowable daily dosage)."

Sleepin' Beauty May 1, 2009

"Helps a great deal with daytime sleepiness, which I had all my adult life until Dexedrine. No side effects at 5 to 7.5 mg a day. At 10 mg sometimes anxiety or tension, but not always. No rebound effect or depression if I stop taking it. Not the dangerous drug some people would have you think."

jackinoakland May 25, 2008