User Reviews for Dexedrine

Learn more about Dexedrine.

Dexedrine review summary

9.1/10 Average Rating

Compare all 56 medications used in the treatment of ADHD.

Reviews for Dexedrine to treat ADHD

Review by Sim123: User Rating:

Great medicine, I recently restarted this medicine after 10 years and I feel normal again. This medicine has given me great peace in my life. I feel calm and collected and I'm quickly understanding what its like to have "free time" I insist that people who find results using this medicine ensure those in government understand the increase in quality of life we are all experiencing. I've rated this medicine 10/10 purely because any cons I've experienced are meaningless compared to been given a life.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 14, 2014 4:01 AM
Review by TB-303: User Rating:

I'm 46 and was diagnosed with ADHD 2 times when I was a kid but never took the medicine. My life's always felt out of control and emotional roller coaster. I tried Adderall first but it made me to jumpy. I switched to Dextroamphetamine and once I got past the first week and up to my 20 mg a day everything became so much easier to deal with in life. Less stress, better sleep at night and makes me feel "normal". Best medicine in the world but the cost is absolutely ridiculous as I have no insurance.

December 23, 2013 2:00 AM
Review by MaximillianL: User Rating:

Dexedrine is a SUPERB medication for controlling ADHD Impulsivity. It's a 100% smooth and clean ride compared to Adderall. Unfortunately for me though I lack motivation so Adderall is a better choice for me. I did rate this out of Symptom control. If Dexedrine motivated like Adderall does it would literally be the perfect medication. Pros: Superior Focus Reduced Impulsive decisions the best. Side effects are minimal compared to Adderall Cons: Lacks motivational Kick that Adderall delivers. Only comes in 5MG, 10MG, & 15MG Capsules and is expensive.

November 30, 2013 8:00 PM
Review by Sauce3000 (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Adderall 30mg/day = you feel like a genius, work hard, EYES OPEN WIDE. But at the end of the work day, I still couldn't stop myself from falling asleep on the skytrain at around 4:30 pm when I try to read. Don't think it helped much with depression and anxiety. Dexedrine 3 10mg/day = You have tunnel vision, Focused, block out distractions, helps with my severe anxiety. I think the depression is pretty under control too. Can read all day if I want. Could have really used this when I began my studies, 4 years ago! Not a month ago, with one course.... Either one, I think you perform better at work and school, but Adderall just wore off, so studying after work, you would still need coffee, or a power nap

October 25, 2013 6:35 PM
Review by Hummer Guy: User Rating:

This is a wonderful medication. I am so happy I switched from Adderall. I find the focus and concentration to be awesome. Without a doubt it is the cleanest feeling ADHD medications on the market. If you have co-morbid anxiety disorders, this is the medicine to go for. I always felt anxious on Adderal or Ritalin, but the Dexedrine is so smooth that I find my anxiety is being helped! I would definitely recommend this to anyone who has ADHD, especially when others have caused increased agitation. I believe this is the best ADHD medicine on the market.

August 30, 2013 1:23 AM
Review by marymcg: User Rating:

My son is now 9. Since 4 years old we have tried every single (literally!) ADHD medication on the market and every single (literally!) medication was never without any serious side effects. My sons specialist suggested Dexedrine as the very last alternative before trying antidepressants. I was hopelessly optimistic, but this medication is truly a gift. I don't know how else to describe it other than being "smooth" and without it I don't know what we would do. His specialist basically said this medicine is a more pure form of amphetamine than the other name brands on the market. If you have tried medicine after medicine....give this a try. It has saved my son and our family.

July 11, 2013 3:56 PM
Review by Lizzi Tree (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Got this for ADD and my chronic fatigue. It changed me. Grades in school went from 60s-80s, I could actually focus long enough to plan my life and pay attention. Only problem I had was the tolerance, although my dosage was raised and now I can take it regularly without feeling it, it made it really hard to sleep if I took it to late, and if the dosage is too high, or you are just starting, you get a really unpleasant buzz. Even though that buzz makes you super motivated and lets you get stuff done, it makes it really hard to relax and makes you more prone to panic attacks.

June 5, 2013 7:05 AM
Review by Guest12: User Rating:

This is the best medicine I've ever tried. It's very smooth and easy on body with least side effect.

February 14, 2013 6:27 PM
Review by MatthewTeee:

Dexedrine, is simply a miracle. Ever since I was young I felt distant from everyone around me, and I felt as though I was always in my own world. My grades at school really started to suffer once I reached high school which was because of my undiagnosed ADHD. Homework and projects deemed impossible because I could NOT concentrate. Now, after being diagnosed with adult ADHD, I am on Dexedrine XL 15mg and Dexedrine SR 5mg. With this medication, I am doing very well in my university studies. My mind is clutter-free, and I can actually focus on the task at hand! Its simply GREAT! Dexedrine also works great for giving me tons of energy, especially when I need it for work and night school.

February 4, 2013 11:42 PM
Review by Gargamel49 (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

I'm 38. Been taking Dexedrine now for my fourth time for a month. I was diagnosed at 21 in 1995. I tried Ritalin for a couple weeks and stopped. Went untreated for a few more years. Went to my doctor about my wild mood swings and EXTREME emotions and told him about Ritalin. He said I should try Dexedrine. Instantly it did wonders. If a coworker said something that would have offended me and got me bent out of shape, it just rolled off my back. I felt great and inspired. It didn't affect my sex drive at all.

January 3, 2013 1:40 AM
Review by crazychristina (taken for less than 1 month):

I'm a 32 yo girl who has been diagnosed with mood disorder spectrum, which includes: bi-polar II, generalized anxiety/panic disorders and social phobia disorder. I've been treated for them separately for 15 yrs with every psych medicine out there. I haven't been feeling right for awhile, I went off medicines during my 2 pregnancies in last 3yrs. Recently I saw a new Dr that told me about my mood disorder spectrum but he also said I had severe case of ADD which I had never been diagnosed with before. My insurance would only pay for Dexedrine. By my 2nd dose I felt like a new person! I was scared the stimulants would make my anxiety worse but it really makes me calmer and focused. My friends noticed after 1St day that I was feeling better. It's the best thing since Xanax!

December 14, 2012 11:08 PM
Review by fancyfree286 (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

I have been on Dexedrine XR 2 15mg in morning for 19 years and I don't know what I wound do without it. When I go a day with it I just can't seem to get my everyday living done I feel scatter brain my thoughts don't make sense some time and I feel like my brain cant keep up with itself and that is no way to live. I'm so thankful for this medicine because without I don't know where I would be in life.

September 19, 2012 1:19 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

My experience is limited since I have only been on this medication for a few days. I am a medical resident, diagnosed with ADHD at 32. Got sick and tired of my mediocre performance at work. Tried Straterra, Viibryd and Wellbutrin, nothing worked. Just started on Dexedrine 5mg 2-3 times a day. My first day on it, I studied all day until midnight. I was so motivated, I felt great, on top of the world, I was so driven. I noticed an immediate difference in my performance at work and it made me a nicer, less cynical. The bad thing was insomnia, teeth clenching, some nausea, decreased appetite and the drop in my mood once it wore off. I am worried about intolerance which is driving up my anxiety level.

July 20, 2012 9:45 PM
Review by Cheezmo (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I'm taking pharmacy technician courses right now and I don't know how I could do it without Dexedrine. The course is compressed and there is a tonne of information to take in a short time. I can often tell if I've missed a dose, or it's near time for my noon dose, because I will just plain zone out. Docs tried me on Wellbutrin and Concerta, and those did nothing, so Dexedrine seems the way to go! Really depends on the individual though.

July 6, 2012 2:11 PM
Review by closedloop (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

I have found that Dextroamphetamine ER cap (AKA Dexedrine spansules) are best for treating my ADHD. I have tried Ritalin and Adderall and both came with bad side effects. Ritalin made me a zombie and Adderall had sexual and hyper-tension side effects. The switch to Dextroamphetamine has increased my focus, alleviated my ADHD symptoms, and also increased my sex drive. I had to take 10mg x 4 Adderall but find that 10mg x 2 Dexedrine ER works for me. So I was able to decrease my intake of amphetamine while switching to Dexedrine. After 1/2 year, I have found no negative side effects whatsoever.

June 2, 2012 5:08 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I've taken many different medications for my ADHD over the years, Adderall, Ritalin, Strattera, Concerta and Vyvanse. Dexedrinne is the most effective with almost no side effects. I only experienced slight appetite suppression with it and it never effected my mood negatively nor did I ever feel "cracked-out" on it. I now take Vyvanse because the slow release works better with another medication I take; however, I would strongly recommend Dexedrine to anyone who is looking for an effective treatment for ADHD.

April 8, 2012 9:30 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Was on Dexedrine for 10 years. Loved it. Just stopped last month because I had tachycardia and an ectopic arrhythmia. Both started about 2 years ago, and I only recently had confirmed that both are non-existent when off of Dexedrine. Have been taking 30mg/day. Switching to Strattera tomorrow, hoping it can provide all the benefits of Dexedrine without the heart issues!

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 28, 2012 12:14 PM
Review by BlizzardSnowStorm1911: User Rating:

Well this medication has worked VERY well for my ADHD! It helps me concentrate and makes my mood overall more lifted! I Notice energy and a desire to do work and complete tasks instead of being a lazy couch potato like before. Side effects: Anxiety, Depersonlization and Derealization on this medication sometimes makes you feel like a robot! And heart rate goes up also! But it worked much better than Adderall. Adderall gave me bad anxiety and higher heart rate! Much stronger and more positive mood from Dexedrine.

February 14, 2012 4:23 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

For me Dexedrine helped get tasks done. I currently 22 year old male. I can focus tremendously in university. Also have a huge increase in libido with my girlfriend so overall can say it's working for me.

December 16, 2011 2:56 AM
Review by EvaFab: User Rating:

I have ADHD and Bulimia. I read through everyone's comments and I couldn't agree more. I am a 21 year old model living in New York City and suffered from chronic ADHD/ADD and Bulimia. Ritalin would make me so jittery I couldn't even try to do anything. 1 hour of euphoria that led no WHERE. (Focalin *is new* did the same thing just paid more!) So they tried everything in every batch: Daytrana, Focalin and Ritalin.. then Vyvanse with Adderall IR or AddXR with ADD IR Anyways I looked up online and saw how Dexedrine is what makes up half of Adderall. I asked my doctor he was like "ehh" but he went for it. I've been on it ever since. I think it is the most under credited ADHD/Stimulant medicine on the market. I have no anxiety, clean concentration!

November 16, 2011 10:33 AM
Review by rbwilli: User Rating:

I have ADHD and mild-to-moderate anxiety. Dexedrine 20 mg (2 x 10 mg) taken in the morning allows me to focus for about 8 hours, but I experience negative side effects including increased anxiety, raised blood pressure and difficulty sleeping. I used to experience moderate-to-severe depression at the end of the day when it would wear off, but I've been able to avoid this using buspirone 5 mg (taken once-an-hour for 4 hours starting 7.5 hours after I take the Dexedrine). Also, I take trazodone 12.5 mg before bed to help me sleep. Due to the side effects, I only take Dexedrine once or twice a week, when I need to get lots of work done. Adderall made me more anxious, and methylphenidate (e.g. Ritalin) didn't help me.

November 12, 2011 11:46 AM
Review by Phds: User Rating:

My extended release pill, 30mg Vyvanse, only lasts for about 5 hours for me. My doctor prescribed a short acting pill, which was Dexedrine for doing my homework at night. Took 5mg and felt literally nothing after waiting an hour. Then took another 5mg (as my doctor said I might need). I did feel a lot less hyperactive, but almost to the point of sluggish. My concentration improved the tiniest bit, but not nearly as well compared to Vyvanse. This pill seems to work better at combating ADHD symptoms, but not really ADD symptoms. I would advise trying Vyvanse.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 21, 2011 1:30 AM
Review by Custus54: User Rating:

I have currently been taking Dexedrine spansules for 16 years. 90 mg a day. ADHD had ruined my life up until I was 36 years old. Now all the standard symptoms are under control and have been since I started the medication. I would personally check with a good doctor if you are suffering with this disorder.

April 16, 2011 10:05 AM
Review by Fizzle: User Rating:

By far the best medication I have tried for ADHD. It is great for someone who also social anxiety or anxiety in general. With Ritalin I had many negative side effects one of which is anxiety. Dexedrine is great. I do not even need to take my clonazepam (Klonopin) during the day because Dexedrine is so smooth.

October 13, 2010 5:26 PM
Review by Recovering Alcoholic: User Rating:

Works well for my ADD but DON'T ever mix with alcohol! I am an alcoholic who comes from a alcoholic background handed down several generations of my family tree. I take my Dex. as prescribed (5 mg 3x daily, a small dose by choice compared to 45 mg 3x daily when I was younger and not in charge of my own health needs) But when I binge drank I would always mix the alcohol with Dex. up to 50 mg a night so I could keep drinking. Lost many friends, wife, and the the respect of too many due to my actions, aggressions, combativeness stances and so on. Alcoholics beware. I'm sober now and take it one day at a time. I still take my Dex. but ONLY as prescribed. I am 35 and have taken it since age 12.

March 3, 2010 1:07 AM