Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Pristiq

Learn more about Pristiq.

Pristiq review summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

Compare all 137 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Pristiq to treat Depression

Review by Pennylane22:

Started on Pristiq after my dad passed away two years ago, and I was to the point I couldn't handle life. It was great; I was happy, I could cope, I didn't gain too much weight (a little maybe, but I wasn't "obsessed" with food). My sex drive was pretty much gone though. Because of lack of sex drive, and sudden migraines, I went off it after a year. Tried to start taking it again, and it just wasn't working anymore. The number one thing I would warn people about is that it's really hard to stop taking this medication. The side effects with the withdrawals are brain shocks, depression, blurry vision, confusion, exhaustion.

April 26, 2011 2:27 PM

It did relieve my depression and anxiety for the most part, but I really had some awful side effects with this drug, the worst of which was that it affected my short term memory. I got to the point where I could not remember the simplest things. This became noticeable after about 6 months of use. I also believe it caused cystic acne and hair loss (both of which ceased after getting off of it). Caused some weight gain too (but every antidepressant I have taken does it seems). I had to get off of it. My memory has thankfully returned back to normal. Wish it had worked better for me.

April 25, 2011 12:15 PM

Review by jenniz:

3 weeks in and I'm loving it. I've lost 2kg and not as hungry at meal times. My side effects were: thirsty, couldn't drink enough, one night couldn't sleep for 24 hrs. Couple of nights later and I was up for 26 hrs! Everything has settled down now and I think this medicine is fantastic. I have so much MORE energy and sleeping so much better.

April 22, 2011 12:12 PM

I have major depressive disorder. I was put on Lexapro, the side effects were unbearable. I got switched to Prozac dosage got switched for a couple of months and then got put on sertraline, became suicidal. I gave up for a year on medications and tried exercising but still had bad depression and was tired but couldn't sleep at all. Now, I've been on Pristiq for 9 days and some days I'm in amazing moods and some I'm really quiet and still have trouble sleeping but these reviews help me not want to give up yet. Thank you!

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 18, 2011 8:17 PM

Review by Marlinsfan:

Thank you all for the hope you've given me with Pristiq. I've just started taking it (Day 4) and am grateful for no side effects yet. Had some success with Effexor and Cymbalta in the past. I will write back on my progress after a few weeks.

April 18, 2011 7:46 PM

First time ever having to take an antidepressant. The first day I took it, I thought I was going crazy because I felt so good. On the third day my daughter noticed I was more energetic. I'm about 2 weeks into it now, and feel great. I'm able to move about and not be so sluggish. I keep forgetting it in the morning and have been taking it late afternoon and it doesn't seem to affect my sleep. Actually I have been able to go to sleep before midnight when I had been going to sleep at least 2 or 3 in the morning. I can lead a more normal life because I'm not sleeping until most of the morning is gone and feel so much more energy! Usually as soon as something bothered me, I'd go down, but now I'm able to keep going. Loving this.

April 15, 2011 11:39 PM

I have severe depression and anxiety. Tried one other anti-depressant with disastrous results. Changed Doctors and changed to Pristiq. Wow! I could tell the difference within the week. Six weeks later I feel wonderful, now I realize how depressed I really was. No major side effects, a little headache occasionally, but nothing compared to life without Pristiq. Everything is clearer, calmer, and I am coping really well. It makes therapy more effective. Life is great.

April 15, 2011 6:19 PM

Review by lovespristiq2011:

Both my husband I started taking Pristiq for about a month and it has changed our lives. We are both what we once were and are "supposed to be". It has cleared our concentration and thinking and memory issues and we both feel "normal". Gone is the out of the blue sadness, anger and lack of motivation or interest in anything. We both feel great now and we are both losing weight like crazy. It's been 3 weeks for me and I am already down two pant sizes! I can hardly believe it! I am not starving constantly anymore like I used to be on other medicines and I eat when I need to instead of eating to fill an emptiness. I love Pristiq so far.

April 14, 2011 4:22 PM

After taking Celexa, which worked like a wonder drug for about 8 years. I was put on Cymbalta. On it, I talked non-stop, was extremely sarcastic and was not able to sleep. Enter Pristiq. Folks, I am NOT HAPPY with this medicine. Has anyone had the up and down ride I am experiencing. One day I can take on the world, and sleep very well. Within 1 or 2 following days, I can't do a THING. Energy is gone. WOW, I do wish I could find one that helped liked Celexa helped me for years.

April 12, 2011 10:42 AM

Review by back.to.me:

The increase in happiness is amazing. I had been taking Effexor and Wellbutrin for about 4 yrs. I am on day 5 of Pristiq and I really love it. Scaling down from Effexor was extremely difficult. My poor kiddies, I just kept explaining to them that I was not mad at them and it was just a change in my crazy pills, as we call them. I am still on the Wellbutrin. I would love to see a decrease in weight. I am an emotional eater. I tend to think about food constantly. I eat by the clock and I actually forgot to eat lunch this weekend! My hubby says this is the girl he fell in love with.

April 11, 2011 11:01 AM

Best thing ever. I have been suffering from years of depression and since taking Pristiq I feel alive again. More energy, weight loss, and decreased negative thoughts add up to happiness! Tried others, but NONE compare.

April 8, 2011 8:39 PM

Review by ALS1:

I took ONE pill in the morning and had severe anxiety, insomnia and hallucinations in the evening and throughout the night. I have never experienced any of these issues before - either with medicines or without - and it is very scary to me that one tiny pill affected me so dramatically.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 4, 2011 10:51 AM

I've been taking Pristiq for about 2 weeks now. I feel a lot better. I have had increased energy, and a great mood during the day. My doctor told me I would start to feel the affects in about a week or so, but I felt them immediately. I have also lost 13 lbs. I have had a few side effects though. Namely, muscle cramps, and diarrhea, but I believe these will, pass. I am going to stick it out. I have also been taking the medicine in the mornings to avoid problems sleeping.

March 10, 2011 8:17 PM

This is my first day on Pristiq and I am having the worst side effects. First, I noticed a huge decrease in my appetite. Headache all day, clenched jaw, crying, irritable, a little aggravation. I don't know if I should stick this out or not. I was really hoping that this would help since I suffer from depression, anxiety, and OCD. I don't want to give up.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 9, 2011 9:47 PM

So far so good. This is the only medicine I have been on for depression but have had depression and anxiety for years. I feel it has really helped. I was also given Xanax for anxiety but feel I don't even have to really take it because Pristiq is helping with that too. I lost a lot of weight but finally have an appetite again after not having one because of weeks of depression. I recommend anyone try this. It definitely made me feel better, more energy and a happier state of being. Only side effect so far is a little trouble sleeping, clenched jaw sometimes and nausea when you first start but that went away once I ate something.

March 9, 2011 12:59 PM

I have been on Pristiq for almost 2 weeks. I have been through the medicine mill in the past 10 yrs, started on Zoloft and loved it but hit the 5 yr mark and it stopped working. Then I went to Paxil which didn't work so hot. Then there was Celexa, Cymbalta, Lexapro, Remeron, Effexor, and even Prozac so I feel like I have been there done that. I also have to take trazodone to sleep at night. I suffer from severe depression and anxiety and on top of that I have insomnia and even panic attacks. For a long time I have just felt like I was going crazy and nothing was going to make me feel better. So far Pristiq has made a big difference. Hope it gets even better in the weeks to come!

February 28, 2011 5:32 AM

I've been on 50 mg Pristiq for 2 weeks now. As a 39 year old male with anger/depression issues, I've already seen a change in my behavior. I stay pretty mellow and let the small stuff roll (the things that used to make me really angry). It's just starting to kick in so I still get angry but not near as much. I've also lost 8 pounds in less than 2 weeks. Side effects have been mild headaches, loss of appetite, and the weight loss. I experienced night sweats and weird dreams only once.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 24, 2011 2:45 AM

Pristiq has given me energy, stopped my crying, and for the first time in my life I can say out loud that I don't hate myself. Although I am extremely sensitive to medications and usually suffer all the worst side effects, I have had no negative effects from this medication other than gaining about 5 pounds over a two month period.

February 21, 2011 10:16 AM

Review by VAchik:

I have been taking Pristiq for two weeks now for depression. I have bad days but good are out numbering the bad now. First week made me very tired and sick to my stomach but never threw up. Lost 5lbs already which I needed to do! I take Pristiq in the mornings and wake up feeling refreshed. Less anxious and feeling more positive about the future. I kept my Klonopin for when panic attacks hit (the number of those has dramatically decreased!) I do feel more like myself than I have in years! Better eye sight also! Good luck to all of you.

February 19, 2011 8:25 AM

I have been taking 50mg Pristiq for depression for 4 months and having used many different depressant medicines previously (Zoloft, Luvox, Lexapro, Cymbalta, Effexor)- I find it to have less side effects. I take thyroid medication (Oroxine) as well and I feel like Pristiq helps it to work better. I have lost 10kg in four months without dieting and just a tad more exercise. Less headaches, less backaches and aches and pains, a bit more get up and go which I need as I have 3 kids. I'm hoping that it doesn't wear off as some of the antidepressants have in the past. It is not as 'strong' as when I first started, but still effective in controlling mood swings and anger (and appetite).

February 7, 2011 9:14 PM

Review by Jensecret:

Pristiq has helped my depression. Insomnia continues to be a major issue. Mild side effects. Slight dull headache, stomach discomfort mild. So far so good.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 5, 2011 10:45 AM

Review by lindseyela:

I have tried pretty much all antidepressants under the sun and having been taking antidepressants since I was 15 years old. Prozac worked for me for about 2 years then after going up to the highest dosage, it lost its effect. All other antidepressants I have taken have had multiple negative side effects. Pristiq is the only antidepressant I have taken that has had NO negative side effects and doesn't interact with any of my other medications. Pristiq has literally been a lifesaver for me.

February 3, 2011 12:46 PM

I've been on this medicine for about two years and my experience has been positive. I feel happier, more comfortable in my skin, less irritable, mentally sharper than I've ever been. It's been very effective! The only downsides have been sex drive and some inconsistency in it's effects. Sometimes I feel as though the potency of the medicine can vary month to month. Last year I tried to slowly come off of it over a two month period. Unfortunately, all the symptoms started coming back. It was a reminder of how hard life was before this medicine. I wish all of you the best.

February 2, 2011 11:56 PM

Review by ren09:

I have been taking Pristiq for nearly 2 weeks due to losing my father in October 2010. I tried to fight my depression but it was starting to control my life. I am feeling better having a good day today has been a long time since I have had a good day I have had some nausea and a bit tired but overall see light at the end of the tunnel finally. Don't feel ashamed of taking medication, depression is worse if not treated.

January 31, 2011 11:54 PM

Review by Sammie39:

Day 7 today not sure if its working or not, really am putting my hope into this medicine to help save me.

January 29, 2011 10:43 PM