User Reviews for Pristiq

Learn more about Pristiq.

Pristiq review summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 137 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Pristiq to treat Depression

Review by Sammie39: User Rating:

Day 7 today not sure if its working or not, really am putting my hope into this medicine to help save me.

January 29, 2011 10:43 PM
Review by tigerlilly26: User Rating:

I was very apprehensive about taking yet another anti-depressant, however, I decided after much prodding from my doctor to give it a try. I suffer from moderate anxiety and depression. I was in denial about it and it took a lot (I mean a lot) of my hair coming out from stress for me to admit that I was not okay. I am a 26 year old woman- so this was a big deal to me. When I first started Pristiq I was determined not to like it. I did suffer from most of the side effects (dry mouth, never hungry, excessive sweating, jitteriness, not feeling "right", and sexual problems) but after sticking it out for about 5 weeks- the side effects really started going away. The only one that I have a problem with now is sometimes my heart will race.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 25, 2011 2:23 PM
Review by Seu: User Rating:

I suffer depression and post traumatic stress, anxiety, suicidal thoughts ruled my life for the last 7 years. I was prescribed Lexapro and although initially it helped me, it didn't make me feel that life was worth living so I went off them about 18 months ago. I didn't hold too much trust in doctor's abilities to "fix" me either, but I had to visit a doctor recently before I finally went through with just giving up on everything that I found overwhelming. The doctor prescribed me Pristiq 50mg and I owe either the doctor or the makers of this drug for saving my life. This tablet has sorted out my head. I don't have constant thoughts and stresses running through my mind all day long, I can finally breathe and enjoy MY life again. Good luck to you all.

January 25, 2011 7:05 AM
Review by anonymous31: User Rating:

I have been diagnosed with MDD, GAD, and OCD. I have tried many medications including Lexapro, Wellbutrin, and Effexor. After a major depressive episode during the summer of 2009, I was prescribed Pristiq at 50 mg. Within days I was feeling energetic and happy with no side effects except weight loss! In addition, I am slowing weaning myself off of Cymbalta. Cymbalta worked well for my anxiety/panic attacks for the past four years, but left me with no sexual desire. I am down to 30mg from 60mg. I take Klonopin 2x daily as well. Pristiq was truly a life saver. I just hope once I'm off Cymbalta I can reach the Big O.

January 17, 2011 2:00 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I have tried many antidepressants, including Celexa (horrible, emotionally flat), Cymbalta (rocked for 2 years, then stopped working) and several others. I'm a 26 year old male. My prescribing nurse suggested I try Pristiq. She started me out at 100mg instead of the traditional 50mg. She did this because I have a methamphetamine addiction as well (been clean 5 months). This medication is amazing. It's only been 7 days, and on day 4 I really started to feel good. I can't wait to see the full effect! By the way - to all the guys out there - I've had NO sexual/libido effects from this. In fact, no side effects at all. Just feeling happier than I have in years, calm, energetic, and interested in life again. Love Pristiq.

January 12, 2011 4:29 AM
Review by starchaser: User Rating:

I've been on Pristiq for almost 3 years and yes it works, but the withdrawals I'm experiencing are not worth it. The withdrawal symptoms have lasted two weeks and only get worse by the day.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 3, 2011 6:15 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Completely changed my outlook on life. Tried it 2 months ago didn't seem to work initially but now I can definitely notice a difference. I was having a lot of trouble just functioning like a regular person but this has brought back the old me. I really am grateful. If I don`t take it for a day or take it late in the day I start feeling depressed again so yes it works.. try it.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 31, 2010 5:27 PM
Review by trmac: User Rating:

Been on Pristiq for a month now changing from Cymbalta. Cymbalta did nothing for me, Pristiq is starting to help. Have had unresponsive major depression along which chronic anxiety for 5 years now. Have tried so many antidepressants of which none were effective for the depression and anxiety. But had a huge serving of various side effects as most mentioned. Now, Anxiety under limited control, depression is lifting but is hard to say how much. I had forgotten what "normal" feels like. So far P is helping but a long way to Go.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 21, 2010 9:43 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I was on Celexa which helped a lot for the first few months, then I started getting moody again. After about 2 years I went cold turkey. I was so depressed, it took a lot to just get out of my bed. I then tried Wellbtutrin, I liked it but I had a bad headache. I thought I could be okay off an antidepressant because I forgot what it was like not to be on one. So I dropped the Wellbutrin. I had nervous stomachs, crying, everything. My doctor gave me Pristiq and I have never felt so good in my life. I rate this a ten. It's the best.

December 20, 2010 1:42 AM
Review by just started: User Rating:

I have suffered from anxiety and depression for many years and recently have been advised that I needed to change my medication. I was on paroxetine for about 10 years and am on day 9 of Pristiq. Nausea, insomnia and dizziness have been the worst side effects however I was taking it in the morning and it was making me so sleepy that Doctor suggested taking it at night. I noticed a huge difference in my mood yesterday having not taken it in the morning, I was extremely anxious and cried all day. I took it last night and immediately felt more relaxed so I am hoping that in a few days the sadness and despair subside. I have also had a decrease in appetite probably due to the nausea. I am going to stick with it and hope for the best.

December 17, 2010 7:32 PM
Review by Excited: User Rating:

I have been on Pristiq for almost 6 months, 50mg. I was very hesitant at first but was desperate for something to help with anxiety, depression, and mood swings. It has worked wonders and my family agrees. The first week was hard but after that only minor side effects, most of which have disappeared completely. I am a different person now and so very grateful.

December 17, 2010 9:33 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I have posted here before after just starting Pristiq. I've now been on 50 MG of this drug for depression and anxiety disorder for 6 months and I honestly think this medicine saved my life. I was stuck in such a deep dark depression with severe anxiety attacks. I couldn't function like a normal person. Everything seemed so hard. I couldn't sleep or eat. I started Pristiq and it took about 2 months for me to fully feel the positive effects, however I did notice a big change just 2 weeks into taking it. The only side effect I had early on was insomina and night sweats, but those are no longer an issue. I do notice though that if I miss a pill for more than one day, I start to feel depressed again. Overall, the best medicine I've taken.

December 15, 2010 12:39 PM
Review by DEKAYER: User Rating:

I am on my third day of taking 50mg of Pristiq after 12 years of taking 150mg of EffexorXR every morning. I have had my depression and anxiety under control for the last 11 1/2 years because of therapy, family support and the EffexorXR. My main reason for trying Pristiq, which is very similar to Effexor, is to try to lessen the amount of time it takes to achieve orgasm. "It takes forever!" My doctor seems to think this will help. We'll see.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 13, 2010 10:47 AM
Review by laura a T: User Rating:

This medicine has changed my life. I was ready to kill myself, and having terrible situational depressive episodes. After only one week of Pristiq, I was writing music and enjoying my family again. My situation has not changed and I still have physical pain, but my outlook on life is a complete turnaround.

December 8, 2010 4:40 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I'm on week 4 of taking Pristiq, I had nausea, loss of appetite, foggy head, sleepiness during the day and sleeplessness at night for the first week. The side effects are all gone now, and I think I'm starting to feel a bit less depressed. I think this medicine affects a person so gradually that it's hard to tell for sure if you are improving. But when I look back to 5 weeks ago, before I started, I think I'm less depressed. I take 50 mg in the evening. I was taking it in the morning because my doctor said I might sleep better at night if I take it in the morning. But I found that I was very sleepy in the early afternoon when taking Pristiq in the morning. So I slowly changed to taking it at night.

December 7, 2010 9:55 PM
Review by pghguyinfla: User Rating:

I'm a 30 yr old male. I was on Zoloft for 5 years (gained 40lbs, couldn't ejaculate) then Cymbalta (nasty side effects). For a couple months My Psych doctor let me try Pristiq. I loved it. I had/have awful anxiety and panic attacks with depression. (My anxiety is because of my depression). This medicine worked quick and I'm now in my 7th month at 50mg once a day. The last week, it seemed to dwindle down a little (not sure why?), as my depression and anxiety started coming back. My same doctor just upped my dosage to 100mg a day. I'm hoping it wont let me down! I have to say that Pristiq is the best of 3 anti-depressants/anxiety medicines I have tried. Thanks all and good luck.

December 6, 2010 8:34 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I am on day 5 and am feeling much better than I have been doing. This is my first time trying anti-depressants and wasn't sure what to expect but my mood has defiantly been more positive very fast. Something I noticed is that my dreams are more intense, not nightmares, but just more real. Very vivid.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 5, 2010 4:52 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I started on Pristiq 1 1/2 years ago for depression. I was on 50 mg and it was great until about 3 months ago. I am going to see if my dosage can be increased.

November 30, 2010 2:12 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I'm day 4 on Pristiq. I've always hated being medicated to treat my depression and anxiety, for some time I had been doing okay with managing it on my own but recent events in my life sent me for a downward spin so I had to start the medicine. The first day was awful, I was dizzy, nauseated, shaky and for a period of 2 hours I was hit with a serious wave of paranoia I've never felt before. I wasn't keen to keep taking it after that but I've stuck it out. My doctor had to give me a sedative to help level me out because I was going up and down, mood completely unpredictable. Today is the first day I've taken the sedative with Pristiq, so far so good. I've had to be on leave from work until things are a bit more balanced.

November 30, 2010 12:27 PM
Review by JimPat: User Rating:

Over the past two years, I have tried Lexapro (effective, but serious sexual side effects), Wellbutrin (bad luck here), Zoloft (not as effective as Lexapro, but much less serious sexual side effects), and now Pristiq. Little sexual impact, effective, and no noticeable side effects after 5 months. It may be, however, that my blood pressure is slightly elevated on Pristiq.

November 23, 2010 12:22 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Started taking this medication about a month ago and I must say that it really works. Initially, I started to take 100 mg every morning and it made me extremely nauseous, but the nausea subsided after about two weeks. I get the occasional dry mouth, etc. but that is a small price to pay to not have dysthemia. The only complaint that I have with this medicine is that it produces some heavy sexual side effects, loss of libido, delayed ejaculation. I am currently on 150 mg per day. My doctor does not think that 50 mg is a 'therapeutic' dose and has only seen positive results in doses above 100 mg's. I do not want to reduce the dose because I have finally found something that actually works.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 22, 2010 10:33 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I just started taking it today. I am feeling super dizzy, hot flashy, nervous and like I'm going to throw up every second! I'm having worse anxiety and a dry mouth and I'm clenching my teeth. I don't know why.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 17, 2010 11:08 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I've had chronic depression/dysthymia since early adolescence and have tried Prozac, Wellbutrin and Serzone in the past along with periods of CBT therapy mixed in. Each of these medicines petered out eventually and the CBT seemed a bit superficial alone. Still in therapy and see a psych nurse who prescribed Pristiq - my life has completely turned around. I've been on it for about a year now. I started at 50mg/day then upped to 100mg/day taken in the evening. CBT is much more productive now and personal/professional life has become not only manageable but fun. No one drug is for everyone but this one has changed my life.

November 17, 2010 9:23 PM

I posted here before, on my 3rd month of Pristq, not doing as well as I did the first month, still not too bad, but the more stressful my life gets it doesn't seem to work anymore, might have to go to 100mg a day. I wish I could get those weeks back when I felt like everything was great.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 17, 2010 8:45 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Had been on Prozac - that pooped out. Then Effexor, its was okay. This okay, but I get the dizzies every evening as the product wears out. Doctor tried Wellbutrin - not a good fit as I got just plain mean. I wish I could find a good medicine that sticks with me, doesn't have me put on weight, and drag me down. Mood is okay, but just okay. Not interested in much as I used to be.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate