User Reviews for Pristiq

Learn more about Pristiq.

Pristiq Review Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 136 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Pristiq to treat Depression

"I have been on Pristiq for about 8 weeks now. I feel good and I am not feeling depressed or sad anymore. I did go through some peaks and valleys with Pristiq at start up for a good 4 weeks and it wasn't seeming to help. It seemed as though it was making me feel worse but all of a sudden I had a breakthrough and have felt good since. My advice to people just starting Pristiq is to give it time you will have a breakthrough, your body needs time to adjust to it. "

Anonymous August 22, 2011

"I have been taking Pristiq for 8 months now and have gained 10kgs. My confidence improved but I find that I am easily angered and get quite snappy. I was worse when I was on 100mg, now I take 50mg am still snappy and angry. I have never in my life been this way until taking Pristiq. Back to the doctors for a change of medicines."

shell76 August 4, 2011

"I feel great! I have had a positive effects from this medicine as well. My appetite has gone away a little bit but that's okay. I still eat when I'm hungry. As far as sexual mood being affected mine wasn't. I have energy also."

emilyemilyemily August 3, 2011

"I have found all these comments really helpful and reassuring. I started taking Pristiq yesterday and it is the first antidepressant I have tried. After taking my first dose I felt very groggy/tired but I had trouble sleeping last night and had frustrating, repetitive dreams when I finally got off to sleep. Today I have taken my second dose in the morning so that hopefully I can sleep tonight. So far I am not feeling drowsy today and I have been feeling good emotionally. I am optimistic about this treatment and love all the positive comments."

Anonymous August 1, 2011

"I am 26 years old and have suffered depression since I was a teenager. Over the years my depression has gotten worse - I was having 'breakdowns' more frequently and for longer periods (at least twice a year, and I was out of action for a month or two at a time). I became extremely depressed at the beginning of this year and was suicidal. As a nurse, I am a terrible patient and refused to be admitted. With some negotiation with my GP, I was put on Pristiq 150mg and Mirtazepine 30mg daily. It has taken a few months but I am finally feeling like 'me' again. I can honestly say I have had zero side effects with Pristiq. Without the aid of this medication I can honestly say I don't think I'd be here today."

Smashy August 1, 2011

"I suffer from depression and panic disorder. I take Pristiq with Ativan. I've been taking Pristiq for 5 months. Just within the last 2 weeks I was told to up it to 100mg because the 50mg just was not taking away my depression. I have noticed a lot more of an effect from the 100mg. I think you just need to get it into you system for a couple of months, until you have no side effects and if it isn't taking away the depression then start upping it gradually. What I did was I took 1 pill in the morning, and 1 at night. Now I am finally taking 2 in the morning, and so far so good. The depression is lifting. I've also lost 30 lbs since Pristiq. PS. never had any noticeable side effects. Just one complaint: CONSTIPATION."

kaleidoscope.mind July 22, 2011

"Have only been on Pristiq less than 1 week and previously taking Lexapro, which did nothing for me. On Lexapro for years and accepted it when doctors told me that I may not feel better than what I do. With Pristiq someone has turned the light on in my brain and there is a distinct shift in my mood. I hope I have found the right antidepressant to help me recover and feel like entering the land of the living again...fingers and toes crossed. I will keep you posted...no noticeable side effects as yet."

Beyond The Blues July 20, 2011

"It is good to hear that Pristiq has helped a lot of people, unfortunately it did not work out for me. I felt okay in the beginning, but after 2 months on 100mg I started to feel irritable, nauseated, extremely tired and had the most disturbing dreams. I will have to find something else."

ky1978 July 5, 2011

"Pristiq worked well for me for 6 months on the 50 mgs than it stopped working. Switched to the 100mg and know its working again. Works really well for depression and anxiety. Makes you feel really confident, talkative, makes it impossible to orgasm and it does keep you up at night. Hopefully it won't poop out on me. When switching doses you have to give it at least 3 weeks to feel the effects. Initial side-effects do subside."

Anonymous July 5, 2011

"Pristiq has been a catch 22 for me. The medication has helped to stablize my mood and some thought process, but there have been multiple draw backs. During my first 2-3 weeks of taking the medication I was even more tired, had to sleep for at least 3-4 hours after taking the medication, which prompted taking it at night. The BIGGEST DRAW BACK for myself is that Pristiq has made running and physical recovery double in time. I've added almost 1 minute 20 seconds off of my run time additionally it has become extremely difficult to find the motivation for working out. Because I enjoy competing in triathlons this side effect for me has been devastating. For instance, an 8 mile run that would take me 44 mins took me 1 hour and 9 mins this morning."

RedRunnuRdeR July 2, 2011

"Started Pristiq 5 days ago after being on Wellbutrin for years. Had a series of events occur over the past six months that sent me into a deep, can't get outta bed, depression. I've struggled with it for years. Thus far I'm mentally much better, but feel drugged and super sleepy. I hope this is a temporary side effect and will eventually subside. I've noticed other posts with these same initial side affects and saw where they DID eventually subside. Again, I mentally feel stable, calm and actual want to interact with others instead of crawl in a hole. This is a plus for me! Hoping things continue to improve. Definitely worth trying!!"

Fit2U July 2, 2011

"I had a Septal infarct at age 46 last year which brought on overwhelming depression post recovery. Not knowing I had had the heart attack (put it down to terrible upper epigastric pain). I suffered in bed with my own concoctions and obviously made it through this period. I went to the doctors two weeks later with a feeling of major depression and did not inform her of the abdominal pain prior to this (didn't feel related). She started me on 50mg Pristiq daily that made me feel much better in one week and my mood continued to improve over the next 3 months to better than I had felt in such a long time. I still take Pristiq (1 year later) because I dread falling back into the major depressive episode I had even if it was related to the Infarct."

Anonymous June 29, 2011

"I am a 67 year old female and I have suffered from fibromyalgia for approximately 35 years. With that being said I have also suffered from depression over the years and have taken Prozac and Zoloft with no effect. For the past 3 months I have been suffering from anxiety and depression and have been extremely nauseated and have lost 16 pounds. I was on venlafaxine for 2-1/2 weeks with no results and have now been on Pristiq for 9 days and instantly felt 100% better. I have my appetite back and have much more energy. I actually feel like living again. I hope my health continues to be better on the medication."

tinytiny June 29, 2011

"I give Pristiq an 8 for effectiveness in treating depression, however I would give it a 10 for effectiveness as an anti-depressant because I believe it gives as much as you can ask for. It has also scored highest in the top 10 treatments for depression according to a recent Australian survey. I am 18 years old, male and this is the first anti-depressant I have taken. In short, It brought me out of hell and out of a depth of despair, sadness and pessimism one naive to depression couldn't possibly imagine. It took about 3 and a half weeks to work well (I'm on 50mg), has a stimulating effect but causes sexual side effects."

J1M June 18, 2011

"I have intermittent problems with mild depression and moderate anxiety usually due to financial stress. I have been taking 50 mg for a week and I have noticed that my anxiety has been substantially reduced. And I notice no negative side effects with Pristiq. I only notice that I am more energetic and awake all day long. I have no sleepiness during the day or trouble sleeping (problems I've had on other drugs). Really good medicine so far. I don't give it a 10 only because I have only been taking it for a week. I'm curious to see if the effects last longer term."

pickettj1970 June 9, 2011

"First of all, my depression is diagnosed as mild. I am young and was still unsure as to whether or not I was depressed or if my sadness was just a normal part of life. My doctor prescribed me Pristiq four days ago and I am amazed by the difference I feel already. I have more energy, my anxiety is gone, I feel optimistic, my desire to exercise is back...I agree with what other people have said before me, this is what life felt like a long time ago. I tried Prozac in the past but it just numbed me so I stopped taking it. With Pristiq, I am still able to feel sadness, it's just impossible to reach the extreme lows I felt before. I really wish I had started taking this medicine sooner."

Anonymous June 5, 2011

"This medication did not work for me. It is important to note, however, that I suffer more from anxiety than depression. On Pristiq I felt like I was on a constant roller coaster. I gave the medication 3 (long) months. I would wake up in the night with panic attacks and would surprise even myself with sudden outbursts. Not to mention, it was super expensive. NOT worth it for me. I'm back on Zoloft and Xanax and feeling MUCH better."

Anonymous May 31, 2011

"I have severe depression to the point I feel so angry I don't want to talk to anyone and I stay in my room. I started Pristiq 3 weeks ago and after 2 weeks I almost stopped taking this medication because my irritability got so bad for three days. Like I said I did not want to talk. Then it just kicked in and I actually took my kids to the park and we played it. Doesnt sound like a big deal but for me it was. I can't remember the last time I did this without forcing myself. My husband actually told me today that I'm acting like the wife he married. I just hope I stay this way. So sorry to ramble but I feel great. I can't remember the last time I felt this good and I'm not just going through the motions."

beautifulthree May 29, 2011

"I have been on Xanax for well over 6 years. I informed my Doctor that my anxiety has been out of control and I didn't know what to do. I was not at all depressed. (Just TONS of stress) I work over time at a HIGHLY stressful job and I am a caregiver to my 32 old husband that just recently became disabled last year. The Doctor sent me home with a 30 day sample and asked me to try it out. I was VERY hesitant. I came on here and read the reviews a few days later, I decided to TRY it. I am on week 2...only complaint is that I am constantly thirsty, hot and not hungry. Stress less and in a better mood over all. Very Pleased!"

Strsd_crgvr May 23, 2011

"I took my first dosage around 5pm and by the next morning I felt drunk and disoriented. My side effects are as follows: grinding my teeth, awaking off and on all night, shaking, dilated pupils, mild stomach ache and headache, fatigue, weakness, nervous, loss of appetite (which I was okay with) and diarrhea. I couldn't stand for very long therefore I didn't even attempt going to work. So, I stayed in bed all day and probably by 4 or 5pm that day I felt a lot better. Still groggy but I could function. I skipped taking another dose and went to work the next morning feeling like it was still in my system and I felt good. I'm weaning onto the medicine by 1/4 of the pill for a week then 1/2 the second and so on. Seems to be working and no side effects."

Trenae May 21, 2011

"I'm 23 years old and I've been suffering from on again off again moderate depression since I was about 18 years old. I am considering Pristiq and this is why. My father, a great guy who suffered through depression since he was about my age, has been on Pristiq for the past couple of years and I have to say, it's made HUGE improvements in his mood. He has shown no visible "to me at least" side effects. He used to be cranky, unhappy, and just overall openly expressed severe dislike for the world and the human race. Since he's been on Pristiq though he has done a complete 180 he no longer hates everything so much, and is very fun to be around, he is almost always in a good mood and enjoys spending time with his family."

MercuryFredrickson1 May 20, 2011

"I was diagnosed with clinical depression over 13 years ago. I took Paxil for 1 year and swore I would never take another depression medicine. After some extreme and consistent stress in 2010, I talked to my MD and he suggested that my depression would not just go away on its own. After explaining my drug experiences he prescribed Lexapro and I took it for about 3 months. It was wonderful except that it just stopped working, I had gained 10 lbs and the sexual side effects were terrible. He changed me to Pristiq, which I have been taking for 16 days now. I never had nausea or dizziness. I feel less hungry than I did on Lexapro and there are no sexual side effects. At first I felt a bit spacey but now I have more energy."

violets_grammie May 16, 2011

"Hey Everyone! This is new to me (posting on a forum). I have struggled with depression for the last 28 years, but only started taking medicines around 12 years ago. I think I "thought" my depression was "normal" before 12 years ago. I've been on Prozac (liked it a lot, except for decreased libido), Effexor, Serzone, Lexapro, Cymbalta and now Pristiq. I've only been on Pristiq for a week (50 mg). I also take Vyvanze for ADHD, so not sure side effects are due to which medicine or both combined. I'm writing because I noticed two side effects since taking Pristiq that no one has mentioned: really, really BIZARRE dreams at night. The other is I am so tired in the morning. Like I've been hit by a Mack truck. "

plemery64 May 9, 2011

"Started on Pristiq after my dad passed away two years ago, and I was to the point I couldn't handle life. It was great; I was happy, I could cope, I didn't gain too much weight (a little maybe, but I wasn't "obsessed" with food). My sex drive was pretty much gone though. Because of lack of sex drive, and sudden migraines, I went off it after a year. Tried to start taking it again, and it just wasn't working anymore. The number one thing I would warn people about is that it's really hard to stop taking this medication. The side effects with the withdrawals are brain shocks, depression, blurry vision, confusion, exhaustion. "

Pennylane22 April 26, 2011

"It did relieve my depression and anxiety for the most part, but I really had some awful side effects with this drug, the worst of which was that it affected my short term memory. I got to the point where I could not remember the simplest things. This became noticeable after about 6 months of use. I also believe it caused cystic acne and hair loss (both of which ceased after getting off of it). Caused some weight gain too (but every antidepressant I have taken does it seems). I had to get off of it. My memory has thankfully returned back to normal. Wish it had worked better for me."

Anonymous April 25, 2011