Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Pristiq

Learn more about Pristiq.

Pristiq review summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

Compare all 134 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Pristiq to treat Depression

Review by pickettj1970:

I have intermittent problems with mild depression and moderate anxiety usually due to financial stress. I have been taking 50 mg for a week and I have noticed that my anxiety has been substantially reduced. And I notice no negative side effects with Pristiq. I only notice that I am more energetic and awake all day long. I have no sleepiness during the day or trouble sleeping (problems I've had on other drugs). Really good medicine so far. I don't give it a 10 only because I have only been taking it for a week. I'm curious to see if the effects last longer term.

June 9, 2011 9:13 PM

First of all, my depression is diagnosed as mild. I am young and was still unsure as to whether or not I was depressed or if my sadness was just a normal part of life. My doctor prescribed me Pristiq four days ago and I am amazed by the difference I feel already. I have more energy, my anxiety is gone, I feel optimistic, my desire to exercise is back...I agree with what other people have said before me, this is what life felt like a long time ago. I tried Prozac in the past but it just numbed me so I stopped taking it. With Pristiq, I am still able to feel sadness, it's just impossible to reach the extreme lows I felt before. I really wish I had started taking this medicine sooner.

June 5, 2011 10:21 AM

This medication did not work for me. It is important to note, however, that I suffer more from anxiety than depression. On Pristiq I felt like I was on a constant roller coaster. I gave the medication 3 (long) months. I would wake up in the night with panic attacks and would surprise even myself with sudden outbursts. Not to mention, it was super expensive. NOT worth it for me. I'm back on Zoloft and Xanax and feeling MUCH better.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 31, 2011 4:43 PM

Review by beautifulthree:

I have severe depression to the point I feel so angry I don't want to talk to anyone and I stay in my room. I started Pristiq 3 weeks ago and after 2 weeks I almost stopped taking this medication because my irritability got so bad for three days. Like I said I did not want to talk. Then it just kicked in and I actually took my kids to the park and we played it. Doesnt sound like a big deal but for me it was. I can't remember the last time I did this without forcing myself. My husband actually told me today that I'm acting like the wife he married. I just hope I stay this way. So sorry to ramble but I feel great. I can't remember the last time I felt this good and I'm not just going through the motions.

May 29, 2011 1:56 PM

Review by Strsd_crgvr:

I have been on Xanax for well over 6 years. I informed my Doctor that my anxiety has been out of control and I didn't know what to do. I was not at all depressed. (Just TONS of stress) I work over time at a HIGHLY stressful job and I am a caregiver to my 32 old husband that just recently became disabled last year. The Doctor sent me home with a 30 day sample and asked me to try it out. I was VERY hesitant. I came on here and read the reviews a few days later, I decided to TRY it. I am on week 2...only complaint is that I am constantly thirsty, hot and not hungry. Stress less and in a better mood over all. Very Pleased!

May 23, 2011 12:44 AM

Review by Trenae:

I took my first dosage around 5pm and by the next morning I felt drunk and disoriented. My side effects are as follows: grinding my teeth, awaking off and on all night, shaking, dilated pupils, mild stomach ache and headache, fatigue, weakness, nervous, loss of appetite (which I was okay with) and diarrhea. I couldn't stand for very long therefore I didn't even attempt going to work. So, I stayed in bed all day and probably by 4 or 5pm that day I felt a lot better. Still groggy but I could function. I skipped taking another dose and went to work the next morning feeling like it was still in my system and I felt good. I'm weaning onto the medicine by 1/4 of the pill for a week then 1/2 the second and so on. Seems to be working and no side effects.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 21, 2011 4:01 PM

Review by MercuryFredrickson1:

I'm 23 years old and I've been suffering from on again off again moderate depression since I was about 18 years old. I am considering Pristiq and this is why. My father, a great guy who suffered through depression since he was about my age, has been on Pristiq for the past couple of years and I have to say, it's made HUGE improvements in his mood. He has shown no visible "to me at least" side effects. He used to be cranky, unhappy, and just overall openly expressed severe dislike for the world and the human race. Since he's been on Pristiq though he has done a complete 180 he no longer hates everything so much, and is very fun to be around, he is almost always in a good mood and enjoys spending time with his family.

May 20, 2011 3:32 AM

Review by violets_grammie:

I was diagnosed with clinical depression over 13 years ago. I took Paxil for 1 year and swore I would never take another depression medicine. After some extreme and consistent stress in 2010, I talked to my MD and he suggested that my depression would not just go away on its own. After explaining my drug experiences he prescribed Lexapro and I took it for about 3 months. It was wonderful except that it just stopped working, I had gained 10 lbs and the sexual side effects were terrible. He changed me to Pristiq, which I have been taking for 16 days now. I never had nausea or dizziness. I feel less hungry than I did on Lexapro and there are no sexual side effects. At first I felt a bit spacey but now I have more energy.

May 16, 2011 7:44 PM

Review by plemery64:

Hey Everyone! This is new to me (posting on a forum). I have struggled with depression for the last 28 years, but only started taking medicines around 12 years ago. I think I "thought" my depression was "normal" before 12 years ago. I've been on Prozac (liked it a lot, except for decreased libido), Effexor, Serzone, Lexapro, Cymbalta and now Pristiq. I've only been on Pristiq for a week (50 mg). I also take Vyvanze for ADHD, so not sure side effects are due to which medicine or both combined. I'm writing because I noticed two side effects since taking Pristiq that no one has mentioned: really, really BIZARRE dreams at night. The other is I am so tired in the morning. Like I've been hit by a Mack truck.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 9, 2011 1:11 PM

Review by Pennylane22:

Started on Pristiq after my dad passed away two years ago, and I was to the point I couldn't handle life. It was great; I was happy, I could cope, I didn't gain too much weight (a little maybe, but I wasn't "obsessed" with food). My sex drive was pretty much gone though. Because of lack of sex drive, and sudden migraines, I went off it after a year. Tried to start taking it again, and it just wasn't working anymore. The number one thing I would warn people about is that it's really hard to stop taking this medication. The side effects with the withdrawals are brain shocks, depression, blurry vision, confusion, exhaustion.

April 26, 2011 2:27 PM

It did relieve my depression and anxiety for the most part, but I really had some awful side effects with this drug, the worst of which was that it affected my short term memory. I got to the point where I could not remember the simplest things. This became noticeable after about 6 months of use. I also believe it caused cystic acne and hair loss (both of which ceased after getting off of it). Caused some weight gain too (but every antidepressant I have taken does it seems). I had to get off of it. My memory has thankfully returned back to normal. Wish it had worked better for me.

April 25, 2011 12:15 PM

Review by jenniz:

3 weeks in and I'm loving it. I've lost 2kg and not as hungry at meal times. My side effects were: thirsty, couldn't drink enough, one night couldn't sleep for 24 hrs. Couple of nights later and I was up for 26 hrs! Everything has settled down now and I think this medicine is fantastic. I have so much MORE energy and sleeping so much better.

April 22, 2011 12:12 PM

I have major depressive disorder. I was put on Lexapro, the side effects were unbearable. I got switched to Prozac dosage got switched for a couple of months and then got put on sertraline, became suicidal. I gave up for a year on medications and tried exercising but still had bad depression and was tired but couldn't sleep at all. Now, I've been on Pristiq for 9 days and some days I'm in amazing moods and some I'm really quiet and still have trouble sleeping but these reviews help me not want to give up yet. Thank you!

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 18, 2011 8:17 PM

Review by Marlinsfan:

Thank you all for the hope you've given me with Pristiq. I've just started taking it (Day 4) and am grateful for no side effects yet. Had some success with Effexor and Cymbalta in the past. I will write back on my progress after a few weeks.

April 18, 2011 7:46 PM

First time ever having to take an antidepressant. The first day I took it, I thought I was going crazy because I felt so good. On the third day my daughter noticed I was more energetic. I'm about 2 weeks into it now, and feel great. I'm able to move about and not be so sluggish. I keep forgetting it in the morning and have been taking it late afternoon and it doesn't seem to affect my sleep. Actually I have been able to go to sleep before midnight when I had been going to sleep at least 2 or 3 in the morning. I can lead a more normal life because I'm not sleeping until most of the morning is gone and feel so much more energy! Usually as soon as something bothered me, I'd go down, but now I'm able to keep going. Loving this.

April 15, 2011 11:39 PM

I have severe depression and anxiety. Tried one other anti-depressant with disastrous results. Changed Doctors and changed to Pristiq. Wow! I could tell the difference within the week. Six weeks later I feel wonderful, now I realize how depressed I really was. No major side effects, a little headache occasionally, but nothing compared to life without Pristiq. Everything is clearer, calmer, and I am coping really well. It makes therapy more effective. Life is great.

April 15, 2011 6:19 PM

Review by lovespristiq2011:

Both my husband I started taking Pristiq for about a month and it has changed our lives. We are both what we once were and are "supposed to be". It has cleared our concentration and thinking and memory issues and we both feel "normal". Gone is the out of the blue sadness, anger and lack of motivation or interest in anything. We both feel great now and we are both losing weight like crazy. It's been 3 weeks for me and I am already down two pant sizes! I can hardly believe it! I am not starving constantly anymore like I used to be on other medicines and I eat when I need to instead of eating to fill an emptiness. I love Pristiq so far.

April 14, 2011 4:22 PM

After taking Celexa, which worked like a wonder drug for about 8 years. I was put on Cymbalta. On it, I talked non-stop, was extremely sarcastic and was not able to sleep. Enter Pristiq. Folks, I am NOT HAPPY with this medicine. Has anyone had the up and down ride I am experiencing. One day I can take on the world, and sleep very well. Within 1 or 2 following days, I can't do a THING. Energy is gone. WOW, I do wish I could find one that helped liked Celexa helped me for years.

April 12, 2011 10:42 AM

Review by back.to.me:

The increase in happiness is amazing. I had been taking Effexor and Wellbutrin for about 4 yrs. I am on day 5 of Pristiq and I really love it. Scaling down from Effexor was extremely difficult. My poor kiddies, I just kept explaining to them that I was not mad at them and it was just a change in my crazy pills, as we call them. I am still on the Wellbutrin. I would love to see a decrease in weight. I am an emotional eater. I tend to think about food constantly. I eat by the clock and I actually forgot to eat lunch this weekend! My hubby says this is the girl he fell in love with.

April 11, 2011 11:01 AM

Best thing ever. I have been suffering from years of depression and since taking Pristiq I feel alive again. More energy, weight loss, and decreased negative thoughts add up to happiness! Tried others, but NONE compare.

April 8, 2011 8:39 PM

Review by ALS1:

I took ONE pill in the morning and had severe anxiety, insomnia and hallucinations in the evening and throughout the night. I have never experienced any of these issues before - either with medicines or without - and it is very scary to me that one tiny pill affected me so dramatically.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 4, 2011 10:51 AM

I've been taking Pristiq for about 2 weeks now. I feel a lot better. I have had increased energy, and a great mood during the day. My doctor told me I would start to feel the affects in about a week or so, but I felt them immediately. I have also lost 13 lbs. I have had a few side effects though. Namely, muscle cramps, and diarrhea, but I believe these will, pass. I am going to stick it out. I have also been taking the medicine in the mornings to avoid problems sleeping.

March 10, 2011 8:17 PM

This is my first day on Pristiq and I am having the worst side effects. First, I noticed a huge decrease in my appetite. Headache all day, clenched jaw, crying, irritable, a little aggravation. I don't know if I should stick this out or not. I was really hoping that this would help since I suffer from depression, anxiety, and OCD. I don't want to give up.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 9, 2011 9:47 PM

So far so good. This is the only medicine I have been on for depression but have had depression and anxiety for years. I feel it has really helped. I was also given Xanax for anxiety but feel I don't even have to really take it because Pristiq is helping with that too. I lost a lot of weight but finally have an appetite again after not having one because of weeks of depression. I recommend anyone try this. It definitely made me feel better, more energy and a happier state of being. Only side effect so far is a little trouble sleeping, clenched jaw sometimes and nausea when you first start but that went away once I ate something.

March 9, 2011 12:59 PM

I have been on Pristiq for almost 2 weeks. I have been through the medicine mill in the past 10 yrs, started on Zoloft and loved it but hit the 5 yr mark and it stopped working. Then I went to Paxil which didn't work so hot. Then there was Celexa, Cymbalta, Lexapro, Remeron, Effexor, and even Prozac so I feel like I have been there done that. I also have to take trazodone to sleep at night. I suffer from severe depression and anxiety and on top of that I have insomnia and even panic attacks. For a long time I have just felt like I was going crazy and nothing was going to make me feel better. So far Pristiq has made a big difference. Hope it gets even better in the weeks to come!

February 28, 2011 5:32 AM