User Reviews for Pristiq

Learn more about Pristiq.

Pristiq review summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

Compare all 137 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Pristiq to treat Depression

Pristiq has given me energy, stopped my crying, and for the first time in my life I can say out loud that I don't hate myself. Although I am extremely sensitive to medications and usually suffer all the worst side effects, I have had no negative effects from this medication other than gaining about 5 pounds over a two month period.

February 21, 2011 10:16 AM

Review by VAchik:

I have been taking Pristiq for two weeks now for depression. I have bad days but good are out numbering the bad now. First week made me very tired and sick to my stomach but never threw up. Lost 5lbs already which I needed to do! I take Pristiq in the mornings and wake up feeling refreshed. Less anxious and feeling more positive about the future. I kept my Klonopin for when panic attacks hit (the number of those has dramatically decreased!) I do feel more like myself than I have in years! Better eye sight also! Good luck to all of you.

February 19, 2011 8:25 AM

I have been taking 50mg Pristiq for depression for 4 months and having used many different depressant medicines previously (Zoloft, Luvox, Lexapro, Cymbalta, Effexor)- I find it to have less side effects. I take thyroid medication (Oroxine) as well and I feel like Pristiq helps it to work better. I have lost 10kg in four months without dieting and just a tad more exercise. Less headaches, less backaches and aches and pains, a bit more get up and go which I need as I have 3 kids. I'm hoping that it doesn't wear off as some of the antidepressants have in the past. It is not as 'strong' as when I first started, but still effective in controlling mood swings and anger (and appetite).

February 7, 2011 9:14 PM

Review by Jensecret:

Pristiq has helped my depression. Insomnia continues to be a major issue. Mild side effects. Slight dull headache, stomach discomfort mild. So far so good.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 5, 2011 10:45 AM

Review by lindseyela:

I have tried pretty much all antidepressants under the sun and having been taking antidepressants since I was 15 years old. Prozac worked for me for about 2 years then after going up to the highest dosage, it lost its effect. All other antidepressants I have taken have had multiple negative side effects. Pristiq is the only antidepressant I have taken that has had NO negative side effects and doesn't interact with any of my other medications. Pristiq has literally been a lifesaver for me.

February 3, 2011 12:46 PM

I've been on this medicine for about two years and my experience has been positive. I feel happier, more comfortable in my skin, less irritable, mentally sharper than I've ever been. It's been very effective! The only downsides have been sex drive and some inconsistency in it's effects. Sometimes I feel as though the potency of the medicine can vary month to month. Last year I tried to slowly come off of it over a two month period. Unfortunately, all the symptoms started coming back. It was a reminder of how hard life was before this medicine. I wish all of you the best.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 2, 2011 11:56 PM

Review by ren09:

I have been taking Pristiq for nearly 2 weeks due to losing my father in October 2010. I tried to fight my depression but it was starting to control my life. I am feeling better having a good day today has been a long time since I have had a good day I have had some nausea and a bit tired but overall see light at the end of the tunnel finally. Don't feel ashamed of taking medication, depression is worse if not treated.

January 31, 2011 11:54 PM

Review by Sammie39:

Day 7 today not sure if its working or not, really am putting my hope into this medicine to help save me.

January 29, 2011 10:43 PM

Review by tigerlilly26:

I was very apprehensive about taking yet another anti-depressant, however, I decided after much prodding from my doctor to give it a try. I suffer from moderate anxiety and depression. I was in denial about it and it took a lot (I mean a lot) of my hair coming out from stress for me to admit that I was not okay. I am a 26 year old woman- so this was a big deal to me. When I first started Pristiq I was determined not to like it. I did suffer from most of the side effects (dry mouth, never hungry, excessive sweating, jitteriness, not feeling "right", and sexual problems) but after sticking it out for about 5 weeks- the side effects really started going away. The only one that I have a problem with now is sometimes my heart will race.

January 25, 2011 2:23 PM

Review by Seu:

I suffer depression and post traumatic stress, anxiety, suicidal thoughts ruled my life for the last 7 years. I was prescribed Lexapro and although initially it helped me, it didn't make me feel that life was worth living so I went off them about 18 months ago. I didn't hold too much trust in doctor's abilities to "fix" me either, but I had to visit a doctor recently before I finally went through with just giving up on everything that I found overwhelming. The doctor prescribed me Pristiq 50mg and I owe either the doctor or the makers of this drug for saving my life. This tablet has sorted out my head. I don't have constant thoughts and stresses running through my mind all day long, I can finally breathe and enjoy MY life again. Good luck to you all.

January 25, 2011 7:05 AM

Review by anonymous31:

I have been diagnosed with MDD, GAD, and OCD. I have tried many medications including Lexapro, Wellbutrin, and Effexor. After a major depressive episode during the summer of 2009, I was prescribed Pristiq at 50 mg. Within days I was feeling energetic and happy with no side effects except weight loss! In addition, I am slowing weaning myself off of Cymbalta. Cymbalta worked well for my anxiety/panic attacks for the past four years, but left me with no sexual desire. I am down to 30mg from 60mg. I take Klonopin 2x daily as well. Pristiq was truly a life saver. I just hope once I'm off Cymbalta I can reach the Big O.

January 17, 2011 2:00 PM

I have tried many antidepressants, including Celexa (horrible, emotionally flat), Cymbalta (rocked for 2 years, then stopped working) and several others. I'm a 26 year old male. My prescribing nurse suggested I try Pristiq. She started me out at 100mg instead of the traditional 50mg. She did this because I have a methamphetamine addiction as well (been clean 5 months). This medication is amazing. It's only been 7 days, and on day 4 I really started to feel good. I can't wait to see the full effect! By the way - to all the guys out there - I've had NO sexual/libido effects from this. In fact, no side effects at all. Just feeling happier than I have in years, calm, energetic, and interested in life again. Love Pristiq.

January 12, 2011 4:29 AM

Review by starchaser:

I've been on Pristiq for almost 3 years and yes it works, but the withdrawals I'm experiencing are not worth it. The withdrawal symptoms have lasted two weeks and only get worse by the day.

January 3, 2011 6:15 PM

Completely changed my outlook on life. Tried it 2 months ago didn't seem to work initially but now I can definitely notice a difference. I was having a lot of trouble just functioning like a regular person but this has brought back the old me. I really am grateful. If I don`t take it for a day or take it late in the day I start feeling depressed again so yes it works.. try it.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 31, 2010 5:27 PM

Review by trmac:

Been on Pristiq for a month now changing from Cymbalta. Cymbalta did nothing for me, Pristiq is starting to help. Have had unresponsive major depression along which chronic anxiety for 5 years now. Have tried so many antidepressants of which none were effective for the depression and anxiety. But had a huge serving of various side effects as most mentioned. Now, Anxiety under limited control, depression is lifting but is hard to say how much. I had forgotten what "normal" feels like. So far P is helping but a long way to Go.

December 21, 2010 9:43 PM

I was on Celexa which helped a lot for the first few months, then I started getting moody again. After about 2 years I went cold turkey. I was so depressed, it took a lot to just get out of my bed. I then tried Wellbtutrin, I liked it but I had a bad headache. I thought I could be okay off an antidepressant because I forgot what it was like not to be on one. So I dropped the Wellbutrin. I had nervous stomachs, crying, everything. My doctor gave me Pristiq and I have never felt so good in my life. I rate this a ten. It's the best.

December 20, 2010 1:42 AM

Review by just started:

I have suffered from anxiety and depression for many years and recently have been advised that I needed to change my medication. I was on paroxetine for about 10 years and am on day 9 of Pristiq. Nausea, insomnia and dizziness have been the worst side effects however I was taking it in the morning and it was making me so sleepy that Doctor suggested taking it at night. I noticed a huge difference in my mood yesterday having not taken it in the morning, I was extremely anxious and cried all day. I took it last night and immediately felt more relaxed so I am hoping that in a few days the sadness and despair subside. I have also had a decrease in appetite probably due to the nausea. I am going to stick with it and hope for the best.

December 17, 2010 7:32 PM

Review by Excited:

I have been on Pristiq for almost 6 months, 50mg. I was very hesitant at first but was desperate for something to help with anxiety, depression, and mood swings. It has worked wonders and my family agrees. The first week was hard but after that only minor side effects, most of which have disappeared completely. I am a different person now and so very grateful.

December 17, 2010 9:33 AM

I have posted here before after just starting Pristiq. I've now been on 50 MG of this drug for depression and anxiety disorder for 6 months and I honestly think this medicine saved my life. I was stuck in such a deep dark depression with severe anxiety attacks. I couldn't function like a normal person. Everything seemed so hard. I couldn't sleep or eat. I started Pristiq and it took about 2 months for me to fully feel the positive effects, however I did notice a big change just 2 weeks into taking it. The only side effect I had early on was insomina and night sweats, but those are no longer an issue. I do notice though that if I miss a pill for more than one day, I start to feel depressed again. Overall, the best medicine I've taken.

December 15, 2010 12:39 PM

Review by DEKAYER:

I am on my third day of taking 50mg of Pristiq after 12 years of taking 150mg of EffexorXR every morning. I have had my depression and anxiety under control for the last 11 1/2 years because of therapy, family support and the EffexorXR. My main reason for trying Pristiq, which is very similar to Effexor, is to try to lessen the amount of time it takes to achieve orgasm. "It takes forever!" My doctor seems to think this will help. We'll see.

December 13, 2010 10:47 AM

Review by laura a T:

This medicine has changed my life. I was ready to kill myself, and having terrible situational depressive episodes. After only one week of Pristiq, I was writing music and enjoying my family again. My situation has not changed and I still have physical pain, but my outlook on life is a complete turnaround.

December 8, 2010 4:40 PM

I'm on week 4 of taking Pristiq, I had nausea, loss of appetite, foggy head, sleepiness during the day and sleeplessness at night for the first week. The side effects are all gone now, and I think I'm starting to feel a bit less depressed. I think this medicine affects a person so gradually that it's hard to tell for sure if you are improving. But when I look back to 5 weeks ago, before I started, I think I'm less depressed. I take 50 mg in the evening. I was taking it in the morning because my doctor said I might sleep better at night if I take it in the morning. But I found that I was very sleepy in the early afternoon when taking Pristiq in the morning. So I slowly changed to taking it at night.

December 7, 2010 9:55 PM

Review by pghguyinfla:

I'm a 30 yr old male. I was on Zoloft for 5 years (gained 40lbs, couldn't ejaculate) then Cymbalta (nasty side effects). For a couple months My Psych doctor let me try Pristiq. I loved it. I had/have awful anxiety and panic attacks with depression. (My anxiety is because of my depression). This medicine worked quick and I'm now in my 7th month at 50mg once a day. The last week, it seemed to dwindle down a little (not sure why?), as my depression and anxiety started coming back. My same doctor just upped my dosage to 100mg a day. I'm hoping it wont let me down! I have to say that Pristiq is the best of 3 anti-depressants/anxiety medicines I have tried. Thanks all and good luck.

December 6, 2010 8:34 PM

I am on day 5 and am feeling much better than I have been doing. This is my first time trying anti-depressants and wasn't sure what to expect but my mood has defiantly been more positive very fast. Something I noticed is that my dreams are more intense, not nightmares, but just more real. Very vivid.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 5, 2010 4:52 PM

I started on Pristiq 1 1/2 years ago for depression. I was on 50 mg and it was great until about 3 months ago. I am going to see if my dosage can be increased.

November 30, 2010 2:12 PM