User Reviews for Pristiq

Learn more about Pristiq.

Pristiq Review Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 134 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Pristiq to treat Depression

"The first couple of sites I went to ten days ago when my Dr gave me 3 wk sample of Pristiq, I read all negative things and was apprehensive to take it. Now, on day 10, I find this site, and I am really happy to read where so many of you have good things to say about Pristiq. So far, I'm experiencing good things. I'm more focused at work, I don't have the hunger pangs I had to eat all the time, and have lost six lbs in 10 days. I also have a little more energy. I'm looking forward to when it really kicks in. But so far I do feel better and I am thankful for that. "

Forever_Grateful March 25, 2012

"I've taking Pristiq for 18 months ...I take it in the morning same time everyday. Sex drive is low and I get the occasionally noise bleed and slight memory loss, and now recently been experiencing headaches. Don't suffer in silence get the help you need even if it's hard ...if you are a male like me suffering is not a choice."

Anonymous March 25, 2012

"Took about a month to kick in but man it's been awesome. I tried several other things like Wellbutrin, Prozac and Cymbalta and they all either did absolutely nothing or made me feel worse. Was on Paxil for years and it worked great originally then stopped working all together. Wish I had been on Pristiq years ago. One of the best things about it is the energy it gives me. It definitely is mood lifting. Before Pristiq I couldn't wake up in he morning..now I pop up out of bed at 5am ready to go everyday..even on the weekend!"

Gmony1 March 18, 2012

"I have been taking Pristiq for 2 years now and feel normal and stable. I have been prescribed Pristiq for major depression which I have experienced most of my post pubertal life. I have taken various medicines which have had differing side effects, e.g. Cipramil, Luvox, Prozac and for me, Pristiq has been the most well tolerated. I have not had any dryness, nausea or dizziness thank heavens. I don't cry for no reason any more and I have not had any suicide thoughts or plans since being on this medicine. I am currently going through a very stressful time (partner out of work) and am considering asking the doctor to increase my dose as I am experiencing unusually high levels of anxiety."

drshayne March 15, 2012

"I have suffered depression since the age of 14, and it was never treated. Last year, at age 20, I reached a new extreme. I was volatile, angry, irritated and I withdrew completely from life. It physically hurt me to be around the people I loved. I hated myself, and constantly felt disconnected from the life I was meant to be living. The week my psychologist prescribed me Prisitiq, I had a breakdown at Uni. I went home, sat on the front step and cried silently for hours. The next day, I started Pristiq. I have never felt better. I have bad days, as we all do; however, Pristiq and I are good buddies now, and she never makes me feel sick."

kiarajayne March 14, 2012

"Very good. I was suffering major depression and within 2 weeks I was feeling and functioning much better. I have had only one minor side effect which was constipation but that has been easy to control with more fibre and water in my diet. I consider this medication a life-saver."

Anonymous March 11, 2012

"Started on 50mg then had issues went to 100mg all is fine now. If I didn't have this medicine I'm sure my life would be a shambles now. I have zapping now and then but who cares life is great."

olmate March 3, 2012

"I found that my depression got better but my anxiety got much worse. I eventually stopped Pristiq and switched back to Prozac."

Anonymous February 21, 2012

"I've been on Pristiq 10 days. Prior to this I was crying all the time, feeling overly emotional, and completely overeating due to stress and anxiety. Since starting Pristiq I've noticed that I'm not crying at all, feel more balanced, and am not overeating (in fact I'm making healthy food choices and not snacking nearly as much). Both my improved mood and dropping a few pounds have been great. Overall I feel more in control of my life, and have a bit more energy to do things. So far, this has been a really positive experience."

53andfabulous February 18, 2012

"What a success Pristiq was after being on Effexor which took away my sex drive completely. Now I have my sex drive back. And I take a large dose of Trazodone to treat fribromyalgia which causes a severe sugar addiction. I mean most of my calories were from sugar, until the Pristiq which eliminated the addiction. Now I just enjoy sugar, but not the super addiction. And the Pristiq has treated my depression which was terrible after going onto Savella (after the Effexor). "

sara12345 January 22, 2012

"The side-effects far outweigh the benefits for me. It took about 5 weeks for the good effects to kick in - and when they did, I felt like a huge boulder had been lifted off of my chest, I could cope with things much better. However, the nausea is still present, even though it's been two months since I started. What's frightening is the blurred vision. My vision started getting blurry not long after I started Pristiq, and it has become worse. It has gotten to the point where the words I'm typing are now blurry and the laptop is less than two feet away from my face. Am weaning myself off of this and have an appointment with my doctor next week. Too bad... I was hopeful about this one. "

Naninka January 16, 2012

"Have developed visual problems, thinning hair on top of my head, insomnia, and loss of sexual interest."

dotsoncc January 15, 2012

"I have been off anti-depressants for about 7 months then I needed to go back on when I entered a very heavy ward (I'm a nurse) because I was becoming very anxious and could not work as well as I was. I WAS on Zoloft but now am trying Pristiq. I have been on Pristiq for 2 weeks now, the first few days I had side effects - increased anxiety, insomnia, nausea and increased sweating but all side effects have now subsided. Positives: - I have not had any anxiety this week and have been confident at work - No depressive symptoms - I have lost weight (not meant to be good but I'm happy about it). Negatives: - I have noticed a slight decrease in libido which might turn out to be a problem and that's what I was scared of."

Anonymous January 8, 2012

"I am 20 and was suffering from anxiety and depression after 'recovering' from an eating disorder. Pristiq made me feel so awful in the first 2 weeks but by week 3 I felt calm, I no longer snapped at people for no reason, I could concentrate during conversations and my university work has not suffered. I do feel like I find it harder to sleep (after 3 months on Pristiq) and if I miss a pill by a few hours I feel very, very drowsy. I have experienced no weight-gain BUT have had a notable increase in headaches and a few migraines. Overall the positive effects far outweigh the bad. "

20yearoldfemale December 29, 2011

"Unfortunately Side effects have required cessation - bruising, coughing up blood, brain shivers - however it was excellent for treatment of depression and major sleep disorder (longstanding night terrors)."

Anonymous December 19, 2011

"I am surprised that I am leaving a comment because I dread reading other people's comments. But basically, I am starting day 3 of taking Pristiq, and I can't say that I feel any differently in a good way. I am definitely a little more anxious and have had difficulty sleeping (night one I had to take a Xanax). I worry that I won't stick with it. I really want to feel calm and hopeful about the future. I am not sure if this medicine will do that for me, as it is really currently making me feel racy."

MateoS December 18, 2011

"Before taking Pristiq I had never taken any anti-depressants and did not want to. However, I knew something was seriously wrong with me because I had lost interest in all the activities that I had once loved. I wanted to sleep all the time and I felt so disconnected from everyone and everything around me. Being a mother of two wonderful children and the wife of a great husband I felt like a complete failure because, in my own way of thinking, I had no reason to feel like this or be depressed. After seeking help from my doctor I started taking Pristiq and noticed a change in the course of one week. I had some slight nausea at first, but the overall change it has made in my life has been great! I now enjoy and look forward to every day."

Loving Life December 14, 2011

"I have been using Pristiq for about two years. First year was a whole new life. Past year has shown a gradual reduction in effect, to the point where we have tried increased dosages to no avail. Looks like this great medicine has an efficacy life, and I am experiencing the end of it for me."

Anonymous November 28, 2011

"This medicine is amazing. It gave me my life back. Until I started taking Pristiq I was on numerous different medications, none of which worked and the last one I took Remeron made me feel extremely suicidal. I have found that I have no side effects with Pristiq and I am so thankful to have found this medicine."

Anonymous November 22, 2011

"I was an Celexa until my doctor decided to switch me to Pristiq due to some unwanted side effects that Celexa brings. After a week of being on it I literally lost my mind. I became extremely suicidal. I was very hostile and irritable. I immediately went back to the doctor and he put me back on Celexa and I'm happy with it."

Anonymous November 21, 2011

"I am so thankful for this medication ... after years of self medicating for untreated depression, anxiety, ADD and mild bi-polar and trying other antidepressants (Wellbutrin, Celexa and Effexor, which is supposedly similar to Pristiq but all gave me nasty side effects). I was given samples of Pristiq and decided to give it another try. Within days I was back on the right track and feeling better. Only side effects which went away quite quickly was mild nausea and loss of appetite. I have realized some people like myself, just need medications like Pristiq to live a somewhat "normal" life.... nothing to be ashamed of. A diabetic needs insulin ... I need Pristiq. Thank you for giving me my life back."

Anonymous November 16, 2011

"While Pristiq does work great. I wish my doctor would have warned me about how hard it would be to get off of this medicine. I am in my mid 20's and my doctor was aware that I wanted to get pregnant in the future. I have had issues with seasonal depression and taken different anti-depressants for a 5-6 months in the past. Pristiq has been a nightmare to get off of. I have reduced the dosage as my doctor has said so that I can get pregnant in the future. But I have had horrible vomiting episodes, confusion, brain zaps, terrible muscle pain, sharp shooting pain throughout my body. Feeling disconnected. I still have not been able to get off this medicine. I wish you all the best."

Justsoyouknow November 16, 2011

"I am on day 6 still waking up with panic attacks. I have been able to function a little better but have major nausea and jaw pain. "

Ssimply November 15, 2011

"Took it for about 2 years - get ready for weight gain, loss of interest in everything, extreme tiredness, zero interest in sex. Sure, my "depression" symptoms felt a little better (but would have had at least the same result with healthy diet and exercise). It took the "bad feelings" away, but it also took the "good feelings" away. When I weened off Pristiq, every five seconds I felt like an electric shock in my brain (that's the best I can describe the feel) it was the worst 2-3 weeks of my life."

delt with this for 19 years November 11, 2011

"At first, huge side effects - nausea, dry mouth, minor spasms, etc. As the instructions emphasize, hang in there. Took me three to four weeks and I feel much more positive and focused on life."

Anonymous November 9, 2011