Pill Identifier App

User Reviews for Pristiq

Learn more about Pristiq.

Pristiq review summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

Compare all 137 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Pristiq to treat Depression

Unfortunately Side effects have required cessation - bruising, coughing up blood, brain shivers - however it was excellent for treatment of depression and major sleep disorder (longstanding night terrors).

December 19, 2011 3:47 AM

Review by MateoS:

I am surprised that I am leaving a comment because I dread reading other people's comments. But basically, I am starting day 3 of taking Pristiq, and I can't say that I feel any differently in a good way. I am definitely a little more anxious and have had difficulty sleeping (night one I had to take a Xanax). I worry that I won't stick with it. I really want to feel calm and hopeful about the future. I am not sure if this medicine will do that for me, as it is really currently making me feel racy.

December 18, 2011 11:44 AM

Review by Loving Life:

Before taking Pristiq I had never taken any anti-depressants and did not want to. However, I knew something was seriously wrong with me because I had lost interest in all the activities that I had once loved. I wanted to sleep all the time and I felt so disconnected from everyone and everything around me. Being a mother of two wonderful children and the wife of a great husband I felt like a complete failure because, in my own way of thinking, I had no reason to feel like this or be depressed. After seeking help from my doctor I started taking Pristiq and noticed a change in the course of one week. I had some slight nausea at first, but the overall change it has made in my life has been great! I now enjoy and look forward to every day.

December 14, 2011 10:43 AM

I have been using Pristiq for about two years. First year was a whole new life. Past year has shown a gradual reduction in effect, to the point where we have tried increased dosages to no avail. Looks like this great medicine has an efficacy life, and I am experiencing the end of it for me.

November 28, 2011 4:56 PM

This medicine is amazing. It gave me my life back. Until I started taking Pristiq I was on numerous different medications, none of which worked and the last one I took Remeron made me feel extremely suicidal. I have found that I have no side effects with Pristiq and I am so thankful to have found this medicine.

November 22, 2011 2:50 AM

I was an Celexa until my doctor decided to switch me to Pristiq due to some unwanted side effects that Celexa brings. After a week of being on it I literally lost my mind. I became extremely suicidal. I was very hostile and irritable. I immediately went back to the doctor and he put me back on Celexa and I'm happy with it.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 21, 2011 3:27 PM

I am so thankful for this medication ... after years of self medicating for untreated depression, anxiety, ADD and mild bi-polar and trying other antidepressants (Wellbutrin, Celexa and Effexor, which is supposedly similar to Pristiq but all gave me nasty side effects). I was given samples of Pristiq and decided to give it another try. Within days I was back on the right track and feeling better. Only side effects which went away quite quickly was mild nausea and loss of appetite. I have realized some people like myself, just need medications like Pristiq to live a somewhat "normal" life.... nothing to be ashamed of. A diabetic needs insulin ... I need Pristiq. Thank you for giving me my life back.

November 16, 2011 1:29 PM

Review by Justsoyouknow:

While Pristiq does work great. I wish my doctor would have warned me about how hard it would be to get off of this medicine. I am in my mid 20's and my doctor was aware that I wanted to get pregnant in the future. I have had issues with seasonal depression and taken different anti-depressants for a 5-6 months in the past. Pristiq has been a nightmare to get off of. I have reduced the dosage as my doctor has said so that I can get pregnant in the future. But I have had horrible vomiting episodes, confusion, brain zaps, terrible muscle pain, sharp shooting pain throughout my body. Feeling disconnected. I still have not been able to get off this medicine. I wish you all the best.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 16, 2011 1:42 AM

Review by Ssimply:

I am on day 6 still waking up with panic attacks. I have been able to function a little better but have major nausea and jaw pain.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 15, 2011 9:43 PM

Review by delt with this for 19 years:

Took it for about 2 years - get ready for weight gain, loss of interest in everything, extreme tiredness, zero interest in sex. Sure, my "depression" symptoms felt a little better (but would have had at least the same result with healthy diet and exercise). It took the "bad feelings" away, but it also took the "good feelings" away. When I weened off Pristiq, every five seconds I felt like an electric shock in my brain (that's the best I can describe the feel) it was the worst 2-3 weeks of my life.

November 11, 2011 9:21 PM

At first, huge side effects - nausea, dry mouth, minor spasms, etc. As the instructions emphasize, hang in there. Took me three to four weeks and I feel much more positive and focused on life.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 9, 2011 10:15 PM

Review by Chia_Pink:

I guess I have had major depression my whole life and I have taken a pill here and there, but I never stuck with it. Recently with the passing of my Mother, I guess emotionally I hit rock bottom and decided I needed to look at doing something and sticking with it. Pristiq was the second medication my Doctor put me on, and I am at week three and I am amazed. It came to late to salvage my current relationship, but my partner says, that I am a different person and asks if it is real. It is real, I feel like I did when I used to be happy, when was that? Years ago, I am thinking more clearly. I am still grieving for the newly loss of my mother and my relationship at the same time, but my mind is "Clear" and I am singing in the shower.

November 2, 2011 10:36 AM

Day 3 of Pristiq....was just on Cymbalta for 4 months, and it was wonderful and then I got really anxious all of a sudden and angry so we switched. Prior to that I was on Celexa, Paxil and Prozac over 20 years. Am 50 year old female with two sons and husband. Have not noticed any change yet. Anxiety is gone, but I don't feel 'positive' change, more neutral. I take at night as prescribed by my doctor. I sleep well. I am more hungry now than when I was on Cymbalta and am worried I will gain back the weight I lost. Midday I get a tingling in my forehead and thirsty. Am tired. Hope to feel some really positive results over the next few days, as others have posted. Time to have my life back.

October 29, 2011 11:07 PM

I have been on Pristiq for about 8 months now for depression and still have bad mood swings but do have a boost in my energy level. I am going to have to discontinue it in the next 2 months because their co-pay program ends and I will have to pay $130.00/month for it. It's good but I cannot afford it.

October 27, 2011 8:42 PM

I am a 57 year old male and struggled with anxiety and depression all my life but it peaked about 6 years ago. I began taking the maximum dosage of Wellbutrin 450mg. I was better, but not 100%. I would still get that "knot in my stomach" when the anxiety would rise. I asked my psychiatrist if I could try Pristiq since my mother had good results. He reduced the Wellbutrin and put me on 50mg of Pristiq. I started feeling better after about the 3rd week and after a month, those negative thoughts, not being able to live in the present, lack of joy all changed dramatically for the better. To me, it is a wonder pill - with no side effects at all.

October 17, 2011 1:40 PM

Review by Sid84:

Pristiq definitely works. Psychiatry also works. I was in severe severe depression due to cyberchondria introduced by googling symptom of hiv after a zero risk episode. I fell into major depressive disorder with depersonalization and derealization. I started taking Pristiq and it took really long to kick in. It took me two months to feel normal. No happy high no sadness...just my usual normal. The best part is the anxiety and depression reduces day by day and after 2 months you will feel the cloud lifting. The worst side effects are extreme sleep, fatigue and very very very weird vivid dreams. I don't know if I have to take this for the rest of my life but it definitely reduces symptoms of depression and anxiety. I am enjoying my time now.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 8, 2011 6:52 PM

I have been taking Pristiq for 1 week. 43y Male. First time treating depression. I could "feel" a difference within hours. Hard to believe maybe, but it was a slight improvement. Every day (EVERY SINGLE DAY) has been better than the one before. It is gradual, but VERY noticeable. My wife says "you are coming back" and my son says "thank you for not freaking out so much" and my co-workers are noticing. I even told a joke in a crowd this week (instead of just feeling like I want to leave and be alone) - I am AMAZED. I had sweats and some minor side effects in the first 4 days, but they are completely gone. I am so thankful for this medication. Thank you to the scientists who developed this. You are changing my life for the better!

October 8, 2011 1:05 PM

Review by arc53:

I am 58, married father of 2. I had a major crash about a month ago. Got addicted to gambling and finally told my wife, then the crash. I have always had some anxiety throughout my life. Nothing like this. Been on it for 4 days, tired and sleep is so so. My hope is that given more time I will see more benefits. Right now it's a struggle to see getting better and tough for my son to see his Dad suffering. Dr says 1-2 weeks to see full benefits.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 7, 2011 11:10 AM

Review by Nikki P.:

I felt much better on this medication, but found it had unfortunate side effect. After ruling out the 2 other medicines I was on for other conditions, I found out it was the Pristiq that caused major photo-sensitivity. I basically had to stay out of the sun all last summer. I developed blotches and nausea after just a few minutes in the sun. Being depressed and not being able to go outside doesn't work. After weaning off it, the symptoms subsided. Lively to be outside again, but now must try a different medicine.

October 6, 2011 10:31 PM

Do not let the bad experiences of others scare you off this medicine. I read the bad side effects and have not had any of them except the heat related one. It has been a good medicine for me.

October 1, 2011 9:04 AM

Review by ashdon1:

I just recently started taking it (a little less than 2 weeks ago). The first day I was very giddy and kept getting a tingly feeling from my head to my toes. Than it stopped after the second day but I did experience the hot sweats, loss of appetite, nausea and lack of sleep. The sleep was the worst thing! I woke up almost every hour every night for 2 weeks straight! I was either waking up and feeling wired or waking up because of the hot sweats and I'm only 23! If you want advice, do not take caffeine until some of these side effects go away because it will make you way more wired than usual and you'll feel very uncomfortable. Also, do not DRINK ALCOHOL. 1 sip of wine and felt dizzy for at least an hour!

September 29, 2011 6:28 PM

I've never been a depressed person until now. I call it a situational depression. I tried to handle it on my own at first but got so tired of crying all the time decided I needed help, something to get me over the hump. So, I've been on Pristiq for about a month. At first I felt like I was in a Benadryl haze for about a week. Just felt strange. One night about a week ago I woke up with the worst night sweats I've ever had, like I just ran 10 miles. Drenched! I could have wrung out my shirt, gross. I also have zero appetite. I wasn't hungry until about 5:00 today and just had half of a salad. I seem to get full fast. As far as my mood, much better. I'm not crying my eyes out everyday which is so refreshing. I feel less anxious.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 27, 2011 7:23 PM

I was on this medicine for 2 days (I know, I should have had more time). I had so many side effects I can't mention them all here but I just felt awful. I called my Doctor and they said it's not for me. There were to many side effects and that was only 2 days on it.

September 26, 2011 1:01 PM

Review by iconlcisme:

I can no longer get Wellbutrin on a patience assistance program. Doctor changed me to Pristiq. I have only been on it for 5 days. I will give it time as has been suggested in these reviews. I have had bi-polar since childhood. Was not diagnosed till 49. I also have binge eating disorder, OCD, BPD. I recently went to a Compounding Shop and am taking something for adrenal fatigue. I am feeling different. Different as in sharp. I am looking forward to what is ahead.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 17, 2011 5:41 PM

I have been on Pristiq for a month now and honestly hadn't been able to feel this good for the longest time. I no longer dwell on anxieties and negative thoughts, and I am no longer susceptible to terrible mood swings. I approach each day with optimism even if I have a lot of work to do. I am so so glad I started Pristiq. I feel so much better!

September 13, 2011 3:43 PM