Pill Identifier App

User Reviews for Pristiq

Learn more about Pristiq.

Pristiq review summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

Compare all 137 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Pristiq to treat Depression

Review by DEKAYER:

I am on my third day of taking 50mg of Pristiq after 12 years of taking 150mg of EffexorXR every morning. I have had my depression and anxiety under control for the last 11 1/2 years because of therapy, family support and the EffexorXR. My main reason for trying Pristiq, which is very similar to Effexor, is to try to lessen the amount of time it takes to achieve orgasm. "It takes forever!" My doctor seems to think this will help. We'll see.

December 13, 2010 10:47 AM

Review by laura a T:

This medicine has changed my life. I was ready to kill myself, and having terrible situational depressive episodes. After only one week of Pristiq, I was writing music and enjoying my family again. My situation has not changed and I still have physical pain, but my outlook on life is a complete turnaround.

December 8, 2010 4:40 PM

I'm on week 4 of taking Pristiq, I had nausea, loss of appetite, foggy head, sleepiness during the day and sleeplessness at night for the first week. The side effects are all gone now, and I think I'm starting to feel a bit less depressed. I think this medicine affects a person so gradually that it's hard to tell for sure if you are improving. But when I look back to 5 weeks ago, before I started, I think I'm less depressed. I take 50 mg in the evening. I was taking it in the morning because my doctor said I might sleep better at night if I take it in the morning. But I found that I was very sleepy in the early afternoon when taking Pristiq in the morning. So I slowly changed to taking it at night.

December 7, 2010 9:55 PM

Review by pghguyinfla:

I'm a 30 yr old male. I was on Zoloft for 5 years (gained 40lbs, couldn't ejaculate) then Cymbalta (nasty side effects). For a couple months My Psych doctor let me try Pristiq. I loved it. I had/have awful anxiety and panic attacks with depression. (My anxiety is because of my depression). This medicine worked quick and I'm now in my 7th month at 50mg once a day. The last week, it seemed to dwindle down a little (not sure why?), as my depression and anxiety started coming back. My same doctor just upped my dosage to 100mg a day. I'm hoping it wont let me down! I have to say that Pristiq is the best of 3 anti-depressants/anxiety medicines I have tried. Thanks all and good luck.

December 6, 2010 8:34 PM

I am on day 5 and am feeling much better than I have been doing. This is my first time trying anti-depressants and wasn't sure what to expect but my mood has defiantly been more positive very fast. Something I noticed is that my dreams are more intense, not nightmares, but just more real. Very vivid.

December 5, 2010 4:52 PM

I started on Pristiq 1 1/2 years ago for depression. I was on 50 mg and it was great until about 3 months ago. I am going to see if my dosage can be increased.

November 30, 2010 2:12 PM

I'm day 4 on Pristiq. I've always hated being medicated to treat my depression and anxiety, for some time I had been doing okay with managing it on my own but recent events in my life sent me for a downward spin so I had to start the medicine. The first day was awful, I was dizzy, nauseated, shaky and for a period of 2 hours I was hit with a serious wave of paranoia I've never felt before. I wasn't keen to keep taking it after that but I've stuck it out. My doctor had to give me a sedative to help level me out because I was going up and down, mood completely unpredictable. Today is the first day I've taken the sedative with Pristiq, so far so good. I've had to be on leave from work until things are a bit more balanced.

November 30, 2010 12:27 PM

Review by JimPat:

Over the past two years, I have tried Lexapro (effective, but serious sexual side effects), Wellbutrin (bad luck here), Zoloft (not as effective as Lexapro, but much less serious sexual side effects), and now Pristiq. Little sexual impact, effective, and no noticeable side effects after 5 months. It may be, however, that my blood pressure is slightly elevated on Pristiq.

November 23, 2010 12:22 PM

Started taking this medication about a month ago and I must say that it really works. Initially, I started to take 100 mg every morning and it made me extremely nauseous, but the nausea subsided after about two weeks. I get the occasional dry mouth, etc. but that is a small price to pay to not have dysthemia. The only complaint that I have with this medicine is that it produces some heavy sexual side effects, loss of libido, delayed ejaculation. I am currently on 150 mg per day. My doctor does not think that 50 mg is a 'therapeutic' dose and has only seen positive results in doses above 100 mg's. I do not want to reduce the dose because I have finally found something that actually works.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 22, 2010 10:33 AM

I just started taking it today. I am feeling super dizzy, hot flashy, nervous and like I'm going to throw up every second! I'm having worse anxiety and a dry mouth and I'm clenching my teeth. I don't know why.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 17, 2010 11:08 PM

I've had chronic depression/dysthymia since early adolescence and have tried Prozac, Wellbutrin and Serzone in the past along with periods of CBT therapy mixed in. Each of these medicines petered out eventually and the CBT seemed a bit superficial alone. Still in therapy and see a psych nurse who prescribed Pristiq - my life has completely turned around. I've been on it for about a year now. I started at 50mg/day then upped to 100mg/day taken in the evening. CBT is much more productive now and personal/professional life has become not only manageable but fun. No one drug is for everyone but this one has changed my life.

November 17, 2010 9:23 PM

I posted here before, on my 3rd month of Pristq, not doing as well as I did the first month, still not too bad, but the more stressful my life gets it doesn't seem to work anymore, might have to go to 100mg a day. I wish I could get those weeks back when I felt like everything was great.

November 17, 2010 8:45 AM

Had been on Prozac - that pooped out. Then Effexor, its was okay. This okay, but I get the dizzies every evening as the product wears out. Doctor tried Wellbutrin - not a good fit as I got just plain mean. I wish I could find a good medicine that sticks with me, doesn't have me put on weight, and drag me down. Mood is okay, but just okay. Not interested in much as I used to be.

November 11, 2010 7:58 PM

Initially this medicine gave me nausea and loss of appetite and sex drive but those symptoms went away. After two weeks I must say that I'm feeling better but I'm still hopeful that after the full 4 weeks I will be doing better. Don't be scared from bad reviews, you need to try it first to see how your body reacts to it.

November 10, 2010 1:44 PM

Review by Celestian:

This medicine will help you but you need to work with it also. If you are really interested in feeling better you need to put forth some effort into beating this. 3 words; Medicate. Meditate. Exercise. Do it daily.

November 10, 2010 9:23 AM

Took Lexapro for 5 years, gained 30 lbs (am very active), fell asleep at stop signs, very lethargic. Finally spoke with people who had had same effects, weaned off. Terrible crash, lost 15 lbs. Started Wellbutirn, had energy, which was wonderful, rages were awful. I have started Pristiq with Wellbutrin wean; Pristiq 1 day, Wellbutrin the next for a week, then 2:1, 3:1, etc. I am optimistic. I feel better just addressing the problem and relieved to find some help. Am raising 3 children and want better for them. Worth mentioning, abrupt change of any medicines can cause withdrawal symptoms. Beware and make sure that you read the signs. Headache, nausea, mood swings, sweats, appetite loss etc.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 4, 2010 8:32 AM

Review by Trying to be patient:

I'm on day 11 of Pristiq and am definitely seeing some changes for the good. Days 9 and 10 were great. I actually got out of bed and went for a walk with friends. Today, though, I'm back in bed feeling down again. Two steps forward, one back. I guess I need to recognize that this low day isn't as low as ones were pre-Pristiq and that I have to be patient and give the medicine more time to fully kick in. Still frustrating. Thanks to all on here for your encouragement.

October 28, 2010 12:31 PM

Review by curly locks:

I started taking Pristiq a year ago. I am 57 year old female that went through a devastating divorce after 20 years of marriage. The worst part was that he left me for my best friend. They both work at the same employer that I do. So it was very hard for me to return to work and see them both there. I was severely depressed and really didn't want to be on this earth. I have never taken antidepressants before. My doctor put me on 50mg of Pristiq to help me through this time. The first 3 days were great....someone could have died and I was smiling for the first time in a long time, and I wanted to be here! I am just now weaning myself off Pristiq slowly with my Doctor's blessing. So far no side effects.

October 27, 2010 9:17 PM

Review by robobobo:

I have been taking Pristiq for just over a month now and I have to say it is amazing. I was experiencing severe depression, anxiety and suicidal thoughts. After only 5 days of being on it I felt completely back to my old self again. I cannot believe how fast it works. I am able to function normally at work, concentrate and have extremely high amounts of energy. I take mine in the evening and I find that I am staying up longer than normal. It is hard for me to fall asleep. I think I might switch to the mornings instead. Otherwise no major side effects...a few headaches in the first 2 weeks but they are gone now. Have a few hot flashes and night sweats from time to time. This medicine has helped me and I truly hope it helps you too. I feel GREAT.

October 25, 2010 2:59 AM

Review by HamSteaks:

What an amazing medicine. I had tried Paxil in the past, but it made me feel stupid and unmotivated. Pristiq make me feel like myself, only not on edge and not anywhere near as angry. My anxiety manifests as rage, and I find myself no longer sitting around with my teeth clenched. The best part is, it hasn't messed with my creative abilities at all, so I can still function at my peak while working. I know it's not for everyone, but Pristiq seems to be a panacea for what ails me.

October 19, 2010 9:34 AM

I'm so glad I read all these comments tonight. It gave me hope that I'm on the road of recovery. It's too soon for me to comment on the effect of Pristiq, I only started 3 days ago, but I can honestly say it's having a positive effect on my life already. I have been suffering from depression for a while and I tried to fight with common sense and trying to be strong, but that didn't work. I think after only 3 days of Pristiq I feel normal again, a feeling I lost long time ago. Best of luck to everyone trying to get out of depression.

October 19, 2010 7:40 AM

I was diagnosed with severe PTSD, have struggled with eating disorders not specified, and major depression. Two years ago I began taking Pristiq after having tried Lexapro, generic Zoloft, Zoloft, and even Prozac. All of the previous medicines had horrible side effects like weight gain, night sweats, hallucinations, and mood altering capabilities. Pristiq was the first medicine that made me feel "normal again". I got on it, began taking it steadily and not drinking on it. I was relieved of anxiety, weight gain and depression. After my boyfriend found out I was on it, I quit cold turkey due to some inhumane remarks. I DO NOT suggest coming off it suddenly EVER! I went downhill so fast; Pristiq truly is a miracle medicine!

October 11, 2010 5:54 PM

Review by cocoabeware:

I really think this is a wonderful drug for depression if you don't have any severe side effects. I, unfortunately, am experiencing a lot of jaw, face and eye pain. I went to 5 doctors about it before my psychologist said it was the anti-depressant. He gave me Klonopin, which made me moody, depressed and extremely self-conscious (not to mention sleepy). I've also had 3 anxiety attacks since taking the Klonopin. So, I am weening myself off of both and am going back to the doctor in a week.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 11, 2010 2:36 PM

Review by DMC111:

Been on 50mg Pristiq for 5 weeks and am starting to really feel happier and a lot more energetic. I feel more motivated and focused now too. I really believe in this medicine and am working with it by exercising and not drinking. Not many bad side effects, mild for me. Love it.

October 10, 2010 12:58 AM

Review by Pinkbabygirl:

I have been on Pristiq for 8 months, 50mg. Also on Wellbutrin 400 mg for 2 months. Pristiq has been wonderful. The Wellbutrin added to it just made it that much better. In the beginning I didn't have any side effects. Now I'm having trouble with insomnia and jaw/neck clenching. I am going to start taking the Pristiq in the mornings as a lot of people have mentioned its better. I'm going to see if that makes a difference in the insomnia. If not I'm going back to the Doctor and get something to help me sleep. Other then that Pristiq has been great. No depression. No mood swings. No anxiety. My boyfriend has noticed these changes too. Good luck to everyone

October 4, 2010 10:59 PM