User Reviews for Pristiq

Learn more about Pristiq.

Pristiq review summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 137 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Pristiq to treat Depression

Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Initially this medicine gave me nausea and loss of appetite and sex drive but those symptoms went away. After two weeks I must say that I'm feeling better but I'm still hopeful that after the full 4 weeks I will be doing better. Don't be scared from bad reviews, you need to try it first to see how your body reacts to it.

November 10, 2010 1:44 PM
Review by Celestian: User Rating:

This medicine will help you but you need to work with it also. If you are really interested in feeling better you need to put forth some effort into beating this. 3 words; Medicate. Meditate. Exercise. Do it daily.

November 10, 2010 9:23 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Took Lexapro for 5 years, gained 30 lbs (am very active), fell asleep at stop signs, very lethargic. Finally spoke with people who had had same effects, weaned off. Terrible crash, lost 15 lbs. Started Wellbutirn, had energy, which was wonderful, rages were awful. I have started Pristiq with Wellbutrin wean; Pristiq 1 day, Wellbutrin the next for a week, then 2:1, 3:1, etc. I am optimistic. I feel better just addressing the problem and relieved to find some help. Am raising 3 children and want better for them. Worth mentioning, abrupt change of any medicines can cause withdrawal symptoms. Beware and make sure that you read the signs. Headache, nausea, mood swings, sweats, appetite loss etc.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 4, 2010 8:32 AM
Review by Trying to be patient:

I'm on day 11 of Pristiq and am definitely seeing some changes for the good. Days 9 and 10 were great. I actually got out of bed and went for a walk with friends. Today, though, I'm back in bed feeling down again. Two steps forward, one back. I guess I need to recognize that this low day isn't as low as ones were pre-Pristiq and that I have to be patient and give the medicine more time to fully kick in. Still frustrating. Thanks to all on here for your encouragement.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 28, 2010 12:31 PM
Review by curly locks: User Rating:

I started taking Pristiq a year ago. I am 57 year old female that went through a devastating divorce after 20 years of marriage. The worst part was that he left me for my best friend. They both work at the same employer that I do. So it was very hard for me to return to work and see them both there. I was severely depressed and really didn't want to be on this earth. I have never taken antidepressants before. My doctor put me on 50mg of Pristiq to help me through this time. The first 3 days were great....someone could have died and I was smiling for the first time in a long time, and I wanted to be here! I am just now weaning myself off Pristiq slowly with my Doctor's blessing. So far no side effects.

October 27, 2010 9:17 PM
Review by robobobo: User Rating:

I have been taking Pristiq for just over a month now and I have to say it is amazing. I was experiencing severe depression, anxiety and suicidal thoughts. After only 5 days of being on it I felt completely back to my old self again. I cannot believe how fast it works. I am able to function normally at work, concentrate and have extremely high amounts of energy. I take mine in the evening and I find that I am staying up longer than normal. It is hard for me to fall asleep. I think I might switch to the mornings instead. Otherwise no major side effects...a few headaches in the first 2 weeks but they are gone now. Have a few hot flashes and night sweats from time to time. This medicine has helped me and I truly hope it helps you too. I feel GREAT.

October 25, 2010 2:59 AM
Review by HamSteaks: User Rating:

What an amazing medicine. I had tried Paxil in the past, but it made me feel stupid and unmotivated. Pristiq make me feel like myself, only not on edge and not anywhere near as angry. My anxiety manifests as rage, and I find myself no longer sitting around with my teeth clenched. The best part is, it hasn't messed with my creative abilities at all, so I can still function at my peak while working. I know it's not for everyone, but Pristiq seems to be a panacea for what ails me.

October 19, 2010 9:34 AM

I'm so glad I read all these comments tonight. It gave me hope that I'm on the road of recovery. It's too soon for me to comment on the effect of Pristiq, I only started 3 days ago, but I can honestly say it's having a positive effect on my life already. I have been suffering from depression for a while and I tried to fight with common sense and trying to be strong, but that didn't work. I think after only 3 days of Pristiq I feel normal again, a feeling I lost long time ago. Best of luck to everyone trying to get out of depression.

October 19, 2010 7:40 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I was diagnosed with severe PTSD, have struggled with eating disorders not specified, and major depression. Two years ago I began taking Pristiq after having tried Lexapro, generic Zoloft, Zoloft, and even Prozac. All of the previous medicines had horrible side effects like weight gain, night sweats, hallucinations, and mood altering capabilities. Pristiq was the first medicine that made me feel "normal again". I got on it, began taking it steadily and not drinking on it. I was relieved of anxiety, weight gain and depression. After my boyfriend found out I was on it, I quit cold turkey due to some inhumane remarks. I DO NOT suggest coming off it suddenly EVER! I went downhill so fast; Pristiq truly is a miracle medicine!

October 11, 2010 5:54 PM
Review by cocoabeware: User Rating:

I really think this is a wonderful drug for depression if you don't have any severe side effects. I, unfortunately, am experiencing a lot of jaw, face and eye pain. I went to 5 doctors about it before my psychologist said it was the anti-depressant. He gave me Klonopin, which made me moody, depressed and extremely self-conscious (not to mention sleepy). I've also had 3 anxiety attacks since taking the Klonopin. So, I am weening myself off of both and am going back to the doctor in a week.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 11, 2010 2:36 PM
Review by DMC111: User Rating:

Been on 50mg Pristiq for 5 weeks and am starting to really feel happier and a lot more energetic. I feel more motivated and focused now too. I really believe in this medicine and am working with it by exercising and not drinking. Not many bad side effects, mild for me. Love it.

October 10, 2010 12:58 AM
Review by Pinkbabygirl: User Rating:

I have been on Pristiq for 8 months, 50mg. Also on Wellbutrin 400 mg for 2 months. Pristiq has been wonderful. The Wellbutrin added to it just made it that much better. In the beginning I didn't have any side effects. Now I'm having trouble with insomnia and jaw/neck clenching. I am going to start taking the Pristiq in the mornings as a lot of people have mentioned its better. I'm going to see if that makes a difference in the insomnia. If not I'm going back to the Doctor and get something to help me sleep. Other then that Pristiq has been great. No depression. No mood swings. No anxiety. My boyfriend has noticed these changes too. Good luck to everyone

October 4, 2010 10:59 PM
Review by chloe.r: User Rating:

I was 1st prescribed Zoloft, which for me was absolutely perfect until none of my clothes fit about 3 months into it. I gained 25 lbs and the weight gain brought new depression and anxiety. I was put on Wellbutrin which was a "nice" drug if your depression isn't too severe and I lost weight on the it, but it couldn't hold a candle to my problems. Then, I tried Pristiq (and I also use Valium and Ambien for any additional anxiety). It's a happy medium between the 2 medicines. You won't have the side effects of Zoloft (weight gain, loss of sexual interest), but you'll have a stronger backing against the physical and mental toll of depression and anxiety.

October 2, 2010 2:13 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

20 year old female student with mild-moderate depression for about 2 years. Originally given Lexapro with the average side effects of appetite increase and complete lack of sex drive. After three months, I switched to Pristiq under the recommendation of my mother who takes it. I didn't have any noticed side effects. However, after a few months my dosage was increased to 100 mg opposed to 50 which is normal depending on ones weight. Though not everyday is perfect, Pristiq has helped me so much by getting me to function and no more random crying spells. (Also, it helps you feel human by getting your libido back). Everyone's different but Pristiq works for me and I wish everyone the best in finding what they are looking for.

September 29, 2010 11:16 PM

I have been on Pristiq for 6 weeks now. The first week was hell! I had nausea, headaches and just feel strange. After two weeks I started to notice a difference. My husband notices more of a difference than I do, he says I am not as snappy or aggravated easily. We recently went through a rough patch, he was in a car accident and everyone was okay, but if I didn't have this medication I know I would have lost it! It really does keep me calmer, and my anxiety is almost non-existent. Right now, I feel a little bit anxious, so maybe I need to up the medicine to 100mg. I have also had dry month everyday since taking this medicine but the benefits have been worth it so far. No panic attacks in line ups, traffic seems a BIT more tolerable.

September 24, 2010 10:12 AM
Review by Skywarn: User Rating:

2 thumbs up!

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 20, 2010 10:46 PM
Review by bookitty1: User Rating:

I have been on so many anti-depressant medications over the last 20 years. I have never had anything make me feel better and so quickly. I was given 50 mg a day for approximately 1 month and then my doctor upped me to 100 mg ER a day, which I take first thing in the morning. Let me tell you I haven't been this cheery and upbeat for 20 years. I really mean this seriously I can't believe that this medication makes me feel so good and its also suppressed my appetite. What could be better than that?

September 11, 2010 8:36 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I have been on Pristiq for about 14 days now...I love it ! I have NEVER been on any medications. I have 5 year old twins and felt tired, moody and couldn't wait until bed time. I am up early now and have the energy to deal with it all. I have noticed some weight loss, which I really don't need to lose any, but a few pounds would be nice. I only had side effects for a few days. My life is going great now.

September 9, 2010 2:15 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I have been on Pristiq for 4 months now. Having never been treated for any kind of depression or mood disorder I wasn't sure what to expect. The first 2 months I was at 50mg, had few side effects of headache and nausea but those subsided and I was generally feeling just not happy.. not sad. I asked my doctor to try 100mg and she agreed to go for it. Now 2 months later on the 100mg I FEEL GREAT! No real side effects with the exception of hot flashes and sweats now and then, but nothing too uncomfortable. I think the difference is higher dosage being more effective in my case is because I am overweight to begin with. I am down about 12 pounds now and blood pressure is holding steady (132/82) too.

August 31, 2010 6:00 PM
Review by ElBell:

I'm not officially reviewing yet, but I want to take a moment to thank all of you who add your most personal experiences to a board like this. I have battled depression for decades, been on a dozen different medicines, they all seem to flame out after a while. I loved Wellbutrin for a week until my eyes swelled shut and I had a full body rash. Lucky I was able to get to the doctor in time as I was in a hotel in D.C. having this anaphylactic reaction. To me the greatest thing about the internet is all of the communities that form, help each other. And for those of us who are depressed and may feel symptoms that push us away from the normal joys of life, at least we can be at home here with like minded souls. Thank you all.

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
August 28, 2010 9:30 PM
Review by tdholste:

I just started this medicine and cannot rate it yet. I feel though that this medicine is the one for me though. Cymbalta was terrible in my opinion. Will get back in 2 weeks.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
August 27, 2010 9:18 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I have been on Pristiq for about a year now, I have depression, and rage disorder, I have been a lot better but recently I am starting to feel as though I just don't care to go on. I am not sure if I am developing a tolerance to the drug but I am starting to worry about getting the blues completely back. I had an episode recently where I went straight to rage, no being upset or mad, just straight to aggression. I yelled and screamed but did not hurt anyone. I have not felt like this since before Pristiq. I am only posting this to warn of what may be down the road for some. I have an appointment with my doctor to see what is next. Just when I thought this was over.

August 22, 2010 12:24 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

This is the most amazing medicine! I am on day 7, 50mg. I am able to focus, I have energy, my appetite is in control, I am calm, no sexual side affects. I couldn't be happier. Also what I have noticed, my addictive tendencies are gone, like wanting wine almost every night to help me wind down, no longer need it. I take it in the morning when I wake up. I can't wait to be off the medicine someday were I can be my old self again, but this has been a good start to my help. I took Zoloft 100mg for 2 months and gained 10 pounds. Wellbutrin, made me actually overeat as well, and I was so hyper. I guess to each his own, and I have finally found mine.

August 21, 2010 11:01 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I have suffered from depression for over 25 years. I've taken more medicines than I can count, none of which have worked very long. I have been on Pristiq for over a year and it is working well. There are side effects, but they are tolerable and most go away with time.

August 12, 2010 11:09 AM
Review by Annabell 56: User Rating:

I have been on Pristiq for just over a week. I have tried everything in the last 10 years and nothing worked for me. Then I tried Pristiq and guess what? I'm a normal person now. No more depression, sadness or anxiety. And I sleep better too! The dark cloud has lifted!

August 7, 2010 6:51 PM