User Reviews for Pristiq (Page 10)

Learn more about Pristiq.

Pristiq Rating Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 136 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Pristiq to treat Depression

"This medicine is a miracle. I've tried Prozac, Effexor and Wellbutrin. Since I've been on Pristiq, I no longer feel sad and cry the way I used to! I'm finally happy! I thank Pristiq for this! The sadness seems to creep back in however when I've missed a dose, so its imperative that dosing remains consistent. I've found taking it in the morning is best as it does cause sleeplessness. Other side effects I've noticed are; constipation, loss of appetite and substantial weight loss. After reading a few reviews, I laughed as I read another Pristiq user describe how they now "ramble on and on" when talking to someone! I too, do the same thing! I so glad to know it may be a side effect of Pristiq! Take note my dear family! Perhaps I'm really not a "wingnut" after-all."

Kitty Kat2 August 31, 2011

"I am currently one month in and Pristiq is a life saver! After about an hour I felt energized and extremely optimistic. I cleaned, got out of bed, and wanted to do stuff for the first 3 days. Then from 3 days- 3 weeks it was really bad. I had massive mood swings. I'd be feeling really good and then VERY VERY horribe and low. I felt suicidal, angry, and my self esteem was super super low. I'd also have anxiety attacks. Then, after about 3 and a half weeks, it just started working. I felt really really good! I got up and hung out with friends and started doing things! My anxiety was completely gone. Symptoms I've had are increased appetite, headaches, and stomach pains. Definitely give this medicine a chance and give it time to kick in."

Caroline357389534 August 31, 2011

"Taking 50mg. This is my first week. Wellbutrin gave me hives and Lexapro was nothing more than a sugar pill. My most noticeable side effects: repetitive yawning on day three and day six. Almost incomplete non satisfactory yawning followed with a quick wave of nausea. My first two days I felt really nervous. Insides were shaky. Very minor headaches almost every other day. My general sense of well being has improved but I am quieter. I am not as vocal as I was. Almost subdued, which means less arguing with my fiance. I haven't noticed an appetite decrease, in fact my hunger pains seem more pronounced. My sex drive was gone to begin with so nothing to report there. I was in the sun today, noticed a much greater sensitivity to it. Dry mouth."

Anonymous August 31, 2011

"I am a 31 year old male and have been on Pristiq a week. It is too early to tell but so far it is amazing. It has removed that "barrier" that kept me from feeling happiness and I now feel like I am driving with my "bright lights" on. I also have Adult ADHD and I can focus much better on tasks at hand. I also enjoy my job for the first time in years and don't leave work angry everyday. The only side effect that I have experienced is that it takes me longer to climax during sex, which really wouldn't be considered a problem. I hope this medicine continues to work and I will update as I am on it longer. My appetite has also decreased. So far nothing but thumbs up for Pristiq. This is the first out of 6 medicines that I have tried that I would recommend."

Tim Ohio August 31, 2011

"Am a 41AAF. I've taken Pristiq for five months. I begin using Pristiq for menopause. It really help me with the mood swings, depression and even weight loss. The problem is the sweating. I mean I really sweat. I like the Pristiq but the sweating is just like having a hot flash. I really don't know what to. I don't want stop taking the Pristiq but the sweating can be very embarrassing."

Sugaah August 28, 2011

"I have been on Pristiq for about 8 weeks now. I feel good and I am not feeling depressed or sad anymore. I did go through some peaks and valleys with Pristiq at start up for a good 4 weeks and it wasn't seeming to help. It seemed as though it was making me feel worse but all of a sudden I had a breakthrough and have felt good since. My advice to people just starting Pristiq is to give it time you will have a breakthrough, your body needs time to adjust to it. "

Anonymous August 22, 2011

"I have been taking Pristiq for 8 months now and have gained 10kgs. My confidence improved but I find that I am easily angered and get quite snappy. I was worse when I was on 100mg, now I take 50mg am still snappy and angry. I have never in my life been this way until taking Pristiq. Back to the doctors for a change of medicines."

shell76 August 4, 2011

"I feel great! I have had a positive effects from this medicine as well. My appetite has gone away a little bit but that's okay. I still eat when I'm hungry. As far as sexual mood being affected mine wasn't. I have energy also."

emilyemilyemily August 3, 2011

"I have found all these comments really helpful and reassuring. I started taking Pristiq yesterday and it is the first antidepressant I have tried. After taking my first dose I felt very groggy/tired but I had trouble sleeping last night and had frustrating, repetitive dreams when I finally got off to sleep. Today I have taken my second dose in the morning so that hopefully I can sleep tonight. So far I am not feeling drowsy today and I have been feeling good emotionally. I am optimistic about this treatment and love all the positive comments."

Anonymous August 1, 2011

"I am 26 years old and have suffered depression since I was a teenager. Over the years my depression has gotten worse - I was having 'breakdowns' more frequently and for longer periods (at least twice a year, and I was out of action for a month or two at a time). I became extremely depressed at the beginning of this year and was suicidal. As a nurse, I am a terrible patient and refused to be admitted. With some negotiation with my GP, I was put on Pristiq 150mg and Mirtazepine 30mg daily. It has taken a few months but I am finally feeling like 'me' again. I can honestly say I have had zero side effects with Pristiq. Without the aid of this medication I can honestly say I don't think I'd be here today."

Smashy August 1, 2011

"I suffer from depression and panic disorder. I take Pristiq with Ativan. I've been taking Pristiq for 5 months. Just within the last 2 weeks I was told to up it to 100mg because the 50mg just was not taking away my depression. I have noticed a lot more of an effect from the 100mg. I think you just need to get it into you system for a couple of months, until you have no side effects and if it isn't taking away the depression then start upping it gradually. What I did was I took 1 pill in the morning, and 1 at night. Now I am finally taking 2 in the morning, and so far so good. The depression is lifting. I've also lost 30 lbs since Pristiq. PS. never had any noticeable side effects. Just one complaint: CONSTIPATION."

kaleidoscope.mind July 22, 2011

"Have only been on Pristiq less than 1 week and previously taking Lexapro, which did nothing for me. On Lexapro for years and accepted it when doctors told me that I may not feel better than what I do. With Pristiq someone has turned the light on in my brain and there is a distinct shift in my mood. I hope I have found the right antidepressant to help me recover and feel like entering the land of the living again...fingers and toes crossed. I will keep you posted...no noticeable side effects as yet."

Beyond The Blues July 20, 2011

"It is good to hear that Pristiq has helped a lot of people, unfortunately it did not work out for me. I felt okay in the beginning, but after 2 months on 100mg I started to feel irritable, nauseated, extremely tired and had the most disturbing dreams. I will have to find something else."

ky1978 July 5, 2011

"Pristiq worked well for me for 6 months on the 50 mgs than it stopped working. Switched to the 100mg and know its working again. Works really well for depression and anxiety. Makes you feel really confident, talkative, makes it impossible to orgasm and it does keep you up at night. Hopefully it won't poop out on me. When switching doses you have to give it at least 3 weeks to feel the effects. Initial side-effects do subside."

Anonymous July 5, 2011

"Pristiq has been a catch 22 for me. The medication has helped to stablize my mood and some thought process, but there have been multiple draw backs. During my first 2-3 weeks of taking the medication I was even more tired, had to sleep for at least 3-4 hours after taking the medication, which prompted taking it at night. The BIGGEST DRAW BACK for myself is that Pristiq has made running and physical recovery double in time. I've added almost 1 minute 20 seconds off of my run time additionally it has become extremely difficult to find the motivation for working out. Because I enjoy competing in triathlons this side effect for me has been devastating. For instance, an 8 mile run that would take me 44 mins took me 1 hour and 9 mins this morning."

RedRunnuRdeR July 2, 2011

"Started Pristiq 5 days ago after being on Wellbutrin for years. Had a series of events occur over the past six months that sent me into a deep, can't get outta bed, depression. I've struggled with it for years. Thus far I'm mentally much better, but feel drugged and super sleepy. I hope this is a temporary side effect and will eventually subside. I've noticed other posts with these same initial side affects and saw where they DID eventually subside. Again, I mentally feel stable, calm and actual want to interact with others instead of crawl in a hole. This is a plus for me! Hoping things continue to improve. Definitely worth trying!!"

Fit2U July 2, 2011

"I had a Septal infarct at age 46 last year which brought on overwhelming depression post recovery. Not knowing I had had the heart attack (put it down to terrible upper epigastric pain). I suffered in bed with my own concoctions and obviously made it through this period. I went to the doctors two weeks later with a feeling of major depression and did not inform her of the abdominal pain prior to this (didn't feel related). She started me on 50mg Pristiq daily that made me feel much better in one week and my mood continued to improve over the next 3 months to better than I had felt in such a long time. I still take Pristiq (1 year later) because I dread falling back into the major depressive episode I had even if it was related to the Infarct."

Anonymous June 29, 2011

"I am a 67 year old female and I have suffered from fibromyalgia for approximately 35 years. With that being said I have also suffered from depression over the years and have taken Prozac and Zoloft with no effect. For the past 3 months I have been suffering from anxiety and depression and have been extremely nauseated and have lost 16 pounds. I was on venlafaxine for 2-1/2 weeks with no results and have now been on Pristiq for 9 days and instantly felt 100% better. I have my appetite back and have much more energy. I actually feel like living again. I hope my health continues to be better on the medication."

tinytiny June 29, 2011

"I give Pristiq an 8 for effectiveness in treating depression, however I would give it a 10 for effectiveness as an anti-depressant because I believe it gives as much as you can ask for. It has also scored highest in the top 10 treatments for depression according to a recent Australian survey. I am 18 years old, male and this is the first anti-depressant I have taken. In short, It brought me out of hell and out of a depth of despair, sadness and pessimism one naive to depression couldn't possibly imagine. It took about 3 and a half weeks to work well (I'm on 50mg), has a stimulating effect but causes sexual side effects."

J1M June 18, 2011

"I have intermittent problems with mild depression and moderate anxiety usually due to financial stress. I have been taking 50 mg for a week and I have noticed that my anxiety has been substantially reduced. And I notice no negative side effects with Pristiq. I only notice that I am more energetic and awake all day long. I have no sleepiness during the day or trouble sleeping (problems I've had on other drugs). Really good medicine so far. I don't give it a 10 only because I have only been taking it for a week. I'm curious to see if the effects last longer term."

pickettj1970 June 9, 2011

"First of all, my depression is diagnosed as mild. I am young and was still unsure as to whether or not I was depressed or if my sadness was just a normal part of life. My doctor prescribed me Pristiq four days ago and I am amazed by the difference I feel already. I have more energy, my anxiety is gone, I feel optimistic, my desire to exercise is back...I agree with what other people have said before me, this is what life felt like a long time ago. I tried Prozac in the past but it just numbed me so I stopped taking it. With Pristiq, I am still able to feel sadness, it's just impossible to reach the extreme lows I felt before. I really wish I had started taking this medicine sooner."

Anonymous June 5, 2011

"This medication did not work for me. It is important to note, however, that I suffer more from anxiety than depression. On Pristiq I felt like I was on a constant roller coaster. I gave the medication 3 (long) months. I would wake up in the night with panic attacks and would surprise even myself with sudden outbursts. Not to mention, it was super expensive. NOT worth it for me. I'm back on Zoloft and Xanax and feeling MUCH better."

Anonymous May 31, 2011

"I have severe depression to the point I feel so angry I don't want to talk to anyone and I stay in my room. I started Pristiq 3 weeks ago and after 2 weeks I almost stopped taking this medication because my irritability got so bad for three days. Like I said I did not want to talk. Then it just kicked in and I actually took my kids to the park and we played it. Doesnt sound like a big deal but for me it was. I can't remember the last time I did this without forcing myself. My husband actually told me today that I'm acting like the wife he married. I just hope I stay this way. So sorry to ramble but I feel great. I can't remember the last time I felt this good and I'm not just going through the motions."

beautifulthree May 29, 2011

"I have been on Xanax for well over 6 years. I informed my Doctor that my anxiety has been out of control and I didn't know what to do. I was not at all depressed. (Just TONS of stress) I work over time at a HIGHLY stressful job and I am a caregiver to my 32 old husband that just recently became disabled last year. The Doctor sent me home with a 30 day sample and asked me to try it out. I was VERY hesitant. I came on here and read the reviews a few days later, I decided to TRY it. I am on week 2...only complaint is that I am constantly thirsty, hot and not hungry. Stress less and in a better mood over all. Very Pleased!"

Strsd_crgvr May 23, 2011

"I took my first dosage around 5pm and by the next morning I felt drunk and disoriented. My side effects are as follows: grinding my teeth, awaking off and on all night, shaking, dilated pupils, mild stomach ache and headache, fatigue, weakness, nervous, loss of appetite (which I was okay with) and diarrhea. I couldn't stand for very long therefore I didn't even attempt going to work. So, I stayed in bed all day and probably by 4 or 5pm that day I felt a lot better. Still groggy but I could function. I skipped taking another dose and went to work the next morning feeling like it was still in my system and I felt good. I'm weaning onto the medicine by 1/4 of the pill for a week then 1/2 the second and so on. Seems to be working and no side effects."

Trenae May 21, 2011