User Reviews for Desvenlafaxine

Also known as: Khedezla, Pristiq

Learn more about Desvenlafaxine.

Desvenlafaxine Review Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 100 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Desvenlafaxine to treat Anxiety

"I was very sceptical when my doctor recommended Pristiq, mainly because I read many very negative reviews on a lot of sites. As a result my prescription sat in my draw for 2 months. Then one particularly bad day I decided to try it, best thing I ever did! I felt better after 3 days, after taking it now for 5 months, I feel like my old self again. No panic attacks, no molehills feeling like mountains. Just calm & at long last peace. But the best thing is I lost 10 kilo's, I can only put it down to Pristiq, because I'm certainly not on a diet. I just feel as hungry as I used to when I was depressed, then I just ate to feel better, not that it worked. But for now I am feeling very happy & blessed."

Rafaella (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 22, 2015

"I took Pristiq for 3 days and stopped it myself. I was taking it for anxiety. The first day I took it, my anxiety seemed worse. I was very jittery and extremely sleepy. I could fall asleep anywhere at any time of the day. The second day, my body still felt on edge. I started having bad thoughts that I would have never had before. Then I started feeling nauseous at times. The third day of taking it, I was so unhappy. I wasn't enjoying anything. I wasn't excited about anything. I still felt extremely sleepy and had bad thoughts going through my mind. I stopped taking it a couple of days ago. I feel a lot better than I did, but I still think it's going to take a little longer for this stuff to get out of my system!"

Anonymous25 (taken for less than 1 month) March 19, 2015

"I was prescribed pristiq last year for depression & anxiety. At 1st I did not want to take any meds due to a bad experience with Prozac when I was 30. I am now in my 50s. After the first day I felt amazingly better. I got up early & felt incredible clarity, focus & worthiness. At that time I weighed 120. I gained 5lbs & probably lost muscle. Prior to pristiq I was very physically active. I feel very calm now & go for walks but for whatever reason I do not work out like I did before. Soon after getting on pristiq I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism even though I was quite fit & thin. So I was put on levothyroxine for that condition. I would say the weight gain & some sleepiness has been a side effect for me but not sure from which medicine."

Southgirl March 9, 2015

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine): "I take Wellburtin XL 150mg and Pristiq and have been since 2009. Tried to go off of Pristiq twice because my sodium level is a bit low. Within a month of being off of Pristiq I got my old anxiety attacks, panic, insomnia, etc., so the positive definitely outweighs the negative. Hopefully, my sodium will be corrected now that I'm seeing a specialist for it, but for me Pristiq and Wellbutrin XL work wonders and I don't plan to go off either ever again."

jelopa418 (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 21, 2014

"I started taking Pristiq and noticed a huge improvement within 2 days. I had been experiencing immense anxiety which made me scattered and often manic. The mood swings and feelings of doubt, inadequacy, perfectionism and worthlessness brought on by my anxiety had become overwhelming and caused me to sink into major depression. All of these feelings lifted largely withing 4 days of Pristiq. I feel focused, more interested in my old hobbies, much less anxious in general, and no depression. I do not feel foggy or like a different person, rather I feel like my old self. Minor SEs including dehydration (fainted once) and aching jaw."

LydiaJ26 (taken for less than 1 month) April 14, 2014

"Had been feeling depressed and anxious for years and was loathing to go on medication. Tried all sorts of herbs and supplements with very little effect. I took 50mg of Pristig and felt better that day. Anxiety is gone, depression lifted, feel so much better."

kilo 1 (taken for less than 1 month) October 5, 2013

"I too have been on many different Meds for depression and anxiety. Nothing worked so great as Pristiq, but you did not lose any time not taking this. This is a very new med out, and that is why we are all getting it now and having good reports. When it is approved it will be covered by your medical plan. It is the best thing that ever happened to me. I highly recommend it. Had no side effects."

MickeyO July 22, 2013

"I have been on this medicine for about a year now and I have to say it has completely changed my life. I suffer from extreme panic disorder and generalized anxiety disorder. It was to the point that I could not be left alone without having a panic attack. I couldn't drive on my own, had trouble going to work, it was spiraling into a dark depression so I finally decided to try some different medicines to see which would work the best. I tried Zoloft and it intensified these feelings of terror, I tried to stay on it but just could not stand it any longer. Then I found Pristiq, it has been an absolute miracle to me. I can do more now than I have been able to for years! I am elated to have found this. I feel like I can face the day!"

LindsTay (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 6, 2013

"I started using this medication and I immediately felt the effects. For a few hours after taking it everyday, I felt mildy nauseous, slightly confused and quite high. After it wore off, I was left with loss of appetite (which caused me to feel quite sick), insomnia and yawning often. I also experienced delayed/abnormal orgasm (I am a 20 year old woman). It did make me feel a lot happier and energetic. And the bad side effects got better and better everyday, except for the sexual side effects which remained the same. I've decided to stop taking it because of the sexual side effects. I don't want it to affect my relationship."

zeppelingirl (taken for less than 1 month) March 29, 2013

"I feel calm- stress just rolls off me. I feel it for a moment, but the panic and anxiety do not kick in anymore, and I am able to move on through my day and focus on my normal activities. Food has lost its "flavor" a bit, but this is good because I used to over eat. Very very difficult to reach orgasm, and when I do, it is barely pleasurable. My doctor advised skipping my 50mg pill on days that I knew I would have intercourse. This has helped a little."

Mcat999 February 1, 2013

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine): "The first few weeks were not pleasant but soon after the Pristiq started to help regulate my mood, it made me less likely to be anxious angry or sad. Basically it made me not really care...about much of anything. It did help me leave a bad relationship which I believe was the source of much of my anxiety. 3-4 months in and I an now growing tired of feeling so "blah" all the time...I am planning to taper after the Thanksgiving holiday so hopefully I am back to normal around mid December. I am not looking forward to the discontinuation symptoms - i.e. withdrawals."

feelingblah (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 14, 2012

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine): "Hot flashes, blisters, heart palpitations, bruising."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 29, 2012

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine): "I took Pristiq for extreme generalized anxiety disorder. I went off 5 weeks ago because I was feeling so well after taking it for several years and I just had to go back on 4 days ago. This medicine works very quickly. I could barely get out of bed on Friday and I was back to work Monday, functioning and feeling much better. Pristiq does not take my anxiety away 100% all the time but it keeps me functioning. Without this medicine I am not sure what I would do."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 24, 2012

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine): "i started taking 50mg just yesterday and immediately i noticed a huge difference. i have tried so many other antidepressants that were just awful on my system but this one so far seems to be great. i have noticed an immediate appetite decrease which is perfect since i tend to eat due to anxiety and depression. food just has lost its magic and a lot of its taste. but i still feel hunger which tells me it's time to eat, and i eat only till i am full. i have also noticed a slight tingling and twitching in my arms and hands, but only slight, and i am sweating more than usual. my jaw feels a bit tense as well, and all of these mild symptoms should go away once my body becomes accustomed to this new drug so i'm told by my doctor. happy times!"

jayschick1 (taken for less than 1 month) September 22, 2012

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine): "I have only been on Pristiq for a week and I can already tell a difference! My only side effects are jaw clenching, thirst, waking up in the middle of the night and weight loss. The jaw clenching is tolerable and if I pay attention to it, I can control it... except when I'm sleeping. The weight loss is awesome. I have been trying for years to lose weight and in 4 days on Pristiq, I lost 6 pounds! It really does suppress the appetite. Sex is still good, no side effects there. I have been on Zoloft (terrible migraines) and Lexapro in the past. The Zoloft was bad, liked the Lexapro, LOVE the Pristiq!"

Chelle30533 September 10, 2012

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine): "I've been on Pristiq for 2 weeks. I was on Effexor for 7 years after having my son. I always had anxiety and worry too much. After having my son I didn't know why I was panicking etc., all the time so they put me on 75mg on Effexor. It did good for me but I thought I'd stop. I stopped for 10 months and tried natural path which seemed to be okay but not the full strength. When my cat had to be put down almost a month ago I was a mess and still am. I begged my doctor to put me on something. I realize I need meds the most when something major has happened) so they said how about try Pristiq...LOVE IT. It makes me quite relaxed feeling for a few hours after I take it at lunch. My sex drive is SUPER HIGH."

mommystar44 (taken for less than 1 month) September 7, 2012

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine): "Decided to try Pristiq after feeling like my depression and anxiety were taking complete control of my life. It was the first time I ever tried medicines of this sort and I have to say it really has turned my life around. I feel completely energized in my private and professional life and enter new tasks with a renewed sense of optimism. "

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 4, 2012

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine): "My doctor prescribed Pristiq for anxiety. The first 2 weeks I felt like a Zombie. I had bouts of nausea(although I never threw up) and I really just felt strange most of the time. I knew that this medicine had side effects so I stuck it out. On the 14th day I awoke feeling awesome! I am not exaggerating. I have been taking Pristiq 50 mg for one month now and continue to feel great. Several times a day I actually think to myself how happy and content I am. That never happened before taking this medication. The only side effect that I am experiencing is that it takes me longer to climax. I can live with that, considering how Pristiq has changed my life. Give it a chance to work and you may find happiness once again."

David3725 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 25, 2012

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine): "I am a 19 year old female. I have been using Pristiq for over 3 weeks now. The first couple of days were pretty intense for me, I was very jittery, had a constant feeling of a ball being in the back of my throat, and was constantly thirsty. My second week was great, I started seeing very positive results. Pristiq really suppresses my appetite, but I've only lost a couple of pounds. Constipation is also another thing to be prepared for. I take it in the morning and it boosts my mood. I am also taking clonazapem for the night time. I would recommend this medication for people with mood disorders, but You have to be patient to see results. The first couple of days might frighten you a little, but be patient and see how you feel after a couple of weeks."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 20, 2012

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine): "I've tried a lot of medication, nutritional products, "self medication", etc... since I started having severe anxiety and depression around 1998. I've been taking Pristiq for about a year, and it is the first medication to successfully treat both my anxiety and depression. Most treatments made one better, while the other got worse. The only real negative with the medicine is the short half-life. You'll definitely notice if you miss a dose. Missing two is not a pleasant experience at all. Since being on the medication, I've been much more productive at work, more social, more driven, more attentive to my son, and just more happy and at peace overall."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 24, 2012

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine): "I have never been on any anxiety or depression medicine ever, but I have suffered severely, emotionally and financially in the last 3 years. Everything came to a head about 2 months ago. I went to a psychiatrist for the 1st time yesterday and went on Pristiq this morning. I guess it's too soon to officially review it but now I just have an overall sense of CALM. Maybe a little bit of fogginess, but I'm sure that will subside. I have a baby and a toddler, plus I babysit and I felt so much less irritable than I did before. I didn't have much of an appetite, so I hope weight loss will be an added benefit. Wish me luck!"

mommyareyouinthere? (taken for less than 1 month) May 18, 2012

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine): "Great results on this medicine. The first couple of days I was a bit tired but that went away quick. My doctor prescribed it to me for general anxiety and not depression. So no crazy thoughts or ideas. I take it in the morning and that's it. No disruption of my sleep patterns. Actually I sleep like a baby. Very positive experience."

Lennny April 6, 2012

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine): "This is my third round of starting Pristiq (02/12). First was in 2008. In 2008, I literally had NO anxiety or depression after four weeks and thought Pritiq was incredible (first and only experience with an antidepressant)! I started sleeping better immediately. Discontinued cold turkey after a few months thinking I was "cured" of anxiety...NEVER EVER do that!!! Round two was during summer 2010. The anxiety and depression returned with a vengeance. Started Pristiq again and began to feel the positive effects after two weeks. I gradually discontinued the medicine around January 2011 because my stress (likely diet and job) was out of control. No side effects here and no plans to discontinue. My wife takes it for panic disorder-works like a charm!"

DT2112 February 18, 2012

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine): "PRISTIQ HAS SAVED MY LIFE. Fourteen days ago I went to a psychiatrist because I was having suicidal thoughts and anxiety disorders that were paralyzing me with fear at 3:00 AM, I would sit up in bed and could not get to the other end of the black tunnel. I didn't enjoy anything I used to (I love fashion, I love my pets, I love New York City) and I was walking around wanting to die. Two weeks later, I am ME again. I am laughing, I am happy. I'm enjoying people, my work and am in the process of getting sober which has been much better with the help of Pristiq. I was feeling so uncomfortable in my skin I could barely sit still at work. Now I am meditating and can be still in my body. I am calm and peaceful and content."

Anonymous February 2, 2012

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine): "I started taking Pristiq about 5 weeks ago. I was experiencing some nausea at first, but after about two weeks it faded. About three weeks in I forgot to take the medicine for three days and completely plummetted into a dangerous pool of emotion. I have been on one other medication, Celexa, and what I like what Pristiq is that I am still able to experience a wide range of emotions. When I was on Celexa I was a little bit numb to things and wasn't able to cry, at all. With Prisiq I am more focused and I am happier."

Beamslee February 2, 2012