User Reviews for Desvenlafaxine

Also known as: Khedezla, Pristiq

Learn more about Desvenlafaxine.

Desvenlafaxine review summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 100 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Desvenlafaxine to treat Anxiety

Review by jelopa418 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine): I take Wellburtin XL 150mg and Pristiq and have been since 2009. Tried to go off of Pristiq twice because my sodium level is a bit low. Within a month of being off of Pristiq I got my old anxiety attacks, panic, insomnia, etc., so the positive definitely outweighs the negative. Hopefully, my sodium will be corrected now that I'm seeing a specialist for it, but for me Pristiq and Wellbutrin XL work wonders and I don't plan to go off either ever again.

May 21, 2014 9:05 PM

Review by LydiaJ26 (taken for less than 1 month):

I started taking Pristiq and noticed a huge improvement within 2 days. I had been experiencing immense anxiety which made me scattered and often manic. The mood swings and feelings of doubt, inadequacy, perfectionism and worthlessness brought on by my anxiety had become overwhelming and caused me to sink into major depression. All of these feelings lifted largely withing 4 days of Pristiq. I feel focused, more interested in my old hobbies, much less anxious in general, and no depression. I do not feel foggy or like a different person, rather I feel like my old self. Minor SEs including dehydration (fainted once) and aching jaw.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 14, 2014 2:22 PM

Review by kilo 1 (taken for less than 1 month):

Had been feeling depressed and anxious for years and was loathing to go on medication. Tried all sorts of herbs and supplements with very little effect. I took 50mg of Pristig and felt better that day. Anxiety is gone, depression lifted, feel so much better.

October 5, 2013 5:45 AM

Review by MickeyO:

I too have been on many different Meds for depression and anxiety. Nothing worked so great as Pristiq, but you did not lose any time not taking this. This is a very new med out, and that is why we are all getting it now and having good reports. When it is approved it will be covered by your medical plan. It is the best thing that ever happened to me. I highly recommend it. Had no side effects.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 22, 2013 7:20 PM

Review by LindsTay (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I have been on this medicine for about a year now and I have to say it has completely changed my life. I suffer from extreme panic disorder and generalized anxiety disorder. It was to the point that I could not be left alone without having a panic attack. I couldn't drive on my own, had trouble going to work, it was spiraling into a dark depression so I finally decided to try some different medicines to see which would work the best. I tried Zoloft and it intensified these feelings of terror, I tried to stay on it but just could not stand it any longer. Then I found Pristiq, it has been an absolute miracle to me. I can do more now than I have been able to for years! I am elated to have found this. I feel like I can face the day!

April 6, 2013 12:19 AM

Review by zeppelingirl (taken for less than 1 month):

I started using this medication and I immediately felt the effects. For a few hours after taking it everyday, I felt mildy nauseous, slightly confused and quite high. After it wore off, I was left with loss of appetite (which caused me to feel quite sick), insomnia and yawning often. I also experienced delayed/abnormal orgasm (I am a 20 year old woman). It did make me feel a lot happier and energetic. And the bad side effects got better and better everyday, except for the sexual side effects which remained the same. I've decided to stop taking it because of the sexual side effects. I don't want it to affect my relationship.

March 29, 2013 12:40 AM

Review by Mcat999:

I feel calm- stress just rolls off me. I feel it for a moment, but the panic and anxiety do not kick in anymore, and I am able to move on through my day and focus on my normal activities. Food has lost its "flavor" a bit, but this is good because I used to over eat. Very very difficult to reach orgasm, and when I do, it is barely pleasurable. My doctor advised skipping my 50mg pill on days that I knew I would have intercourse. This has helped a little.

February 1, 2013 9:36 AM

Review by feelingblah (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine): The first few weeks were not pleasant but soon after the Pristiq started to help regulate my mood, it made me less likely to be anxious angry or sad. Basically it made me not really care...about much of anything. It did help me leave a bad relationship which I believe was the source of much of my anxiety. 3-4 months in and I an now growing tired of feeling so "blah" all the time...I am planning to taper after the Thanksgiving holiday so hopefully I am back to normal around mid December. I am not looking forward to the discontinuation symptoms - i.e. withdrawals.

November 14, 2012 9:39 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine): Hot flashes, blisters, heart palpitations, bruising.

September 29, 2012 11:36 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine): I took Pristiq for extreme generalized anxiety disorder. I went off 5 weeks ago because I was feeling so well after taking it for several years and I just had to go back on 4 days ago. This medicine works very quickly. I could barely get out of bed on Friday and I was back to work Monday, functioning and feeling much better. Pristiq does not take my anxiety away 100% all the time but it keeps me functioning. Without this medicine I am not sure what I would do.

September 24, 2012 9:58 AM

Review by jayschick1 (taken for less than 1 month):

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine): i started taking 50mg just yesterday and immediately i noticed a huge difference. i have tried so many other antidepressants that were just awful on my system but this one so far seems to be great. i have noticed an immediate appetite decrease which is perfect since i tend to eat due to anxiety and depression. food just has lost its magic and a lot of its taste. but i still feel hunger which tells me it's time to eat, and i eat only till i am full. i have also noticed a slight tingling and twitching in my arms and hands, but only slight, and i am sweating more than usual. my jaw feels a bit tense as well, and all of these mild symptoms should go away once my body becomes accustomed to this new drug so i'm told by my doctor. happy times!

September 22, 2012 9:36 AM

Review by Chelle30533:

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine): I have only been on Pristiq for a week and I can already tell a difference! My only side effects are jaw clenching, thirst, waking up in the middle of the night and weight loss. The jaw clenching is tolerable and if I pay attention to it, I can control it... except when I'm sleeping. The weight loss is awesome. I have been trying for years to lose weight and in 4 days on Pristiq, I lost 6 pounds! It really does suppress the appetite. Sex is still good, no side effects there. I have been on Zoloft (terrible migraines) and Lexapro in the past. The Zoloft was bad, liked the Lexapro, LOVE the Pristiq!

September 10, 2012 10:57 PM

Review by mommystar44 (taken for less than 1 month):

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine): I've been on Pristiq for 2 weeks. I was on Effexor for 7 years after having my son. I always had anxiety and worry too much. After having my son I didn't know why I was panicking etc., all the time so they put me on 75mg on Effexor. It did good for me but I thought I'd stop. I stopped for 10 months and tried natural path which seemed to be okay but not the full strength. When my cat had to be put down almost a month ago I was a mess and still am. I begged my doctor to put me on something. I realize I need meds the most when something major has happened) so they said how about try Pristiq...LOVE IT. It makes me quite relaxed feeling for a few hours after I take it at lunch. My sex drive is SUPER HIGH.

September 7, 2012 3:49 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine): Decided to try Pristiq after feeling like my depression and anxiety were taking complete control of my life. It was the first time I ever tried medicines of this sort and I have to say it really has turned my life around. I feel completely energized in my private and professional life and enter new tasks with a renewed sense of optimism.

July 4, 2012 11:10 AM

Review by David3725 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine): My doctor prescribed Pristiq for anxiety. The first 2 weeks I felt like a Zombie. I had bouts of nausea(although I never threw up) and I really just felt strange most of the time. I knew that this medicine had side effects so I stuck it out. On the 14th day I awoke feeling awesome! I am not exaggerating. I have been taking Pristiq 50 mg for one month now and continue to feel great. Several times a day I actually think to myself how happy and content I am. That never happened before taking this medication. The only side effect that I am experiencing is that it takes me longer to climax. I can live with that, considering how Pristiq has changed my life. Give it a chance to work and you may find happiness once again.

June 25, 2012 12:50 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine): I am a 19 year old female. I have been using Pristiq for over 3 weeks now. The first couple of days were pretty intense for me, I was very jittery, had a constant feeling of a ball being in the back of my throat, and was constantly thirsty. My second week was great, I started seeing very positive results. Pristiq really suppresses my appetite, but I've only lost a couple of pounds. Constipation is also another thing to be prepared for. I take it in the morning and it boosts my mood. I am also taking clonazapem for the night time. I would recommend this medication for people with mood disorders, but You have to be patient to see results. The first couple of days might frighten you a little, but be patient and see how you feel after a couple of weeks.

June 20, 2012 6:30 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine): I've tried a lot of medication, nutritional products, "self medication", etc... since I started having severe anxiety and depression around 1998. I've been taking Pristiq for about a year, and it is the first medication to successfully treat both my anxiety and depression. Most treatments made one better, while the other got worse. The only real negative with the medicine is the short half-life. You'll definitely notice if you miss a dose. Missing two is not a pleasant experience at all. Since being on the medication, I've been much more productive at work, more social, more driven, more attentive to my son, and just more happy and at peace overall.

May 24, 2012 12:16 AM

Review by mommyareyouinthere? (taken for less than 1 month):

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine): I have never been on any anxiety or depression medicine ever, but I have suffered severely, emotionally and financially in the last 3 years. Everything came to a head about 2 months ago. I went to a psychiatrist for the 1st time yesterday and went on Pristiq this morning. I guess it's too soon to officially review it but now I just have an overall sense of CALM. Maybe a little bit of fogginess, but I'm sure that will subside. I have a baby and a toddler, plus I babysit and I felt so much less irritable than I did before. I didn't have much of an appetite, so I hope weight loss will be an added benefit. Wish me luck!

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 18, 2012 12:00 AM

Review by Lennny:

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine): Great results on this medicine. The first couple of days I was a bit tired but that went away quick. My doctor prescribed it to me for general anxiety and not depression. So no crazy thoughts or ideas. I take it in the morning and that's it. No disruption of my sleep patterns. Actually I sleep like a baby. Very positive experience.

April 6, 2012 11:35 AM

Review by DT2112:

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine): This is my third round of starting Pristiq (02/12). First was in 2008. In 2008, I literally had NO anxiety or depression after four weeks and thought Pritiq was incredible (first and only experience with an antidepressant)! I started sleeping better immediately. Discontinued cold turkey after a few months thinking I was "cured" of anxiety...NEVER EVER do that!!! Round two was during summer 2010. The anxiety and depression returned with a vengeance. Started Pristiq again and began to feel the positive effects after two weeks. I gradually discontinued the medicine around January 2011 because my stress (likely diet and job) was out of control. No side effects here and no plans to discontinue. My wife takes it for panic disorder-works like a charm!

February 18, 2012 10:11 PM

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine): PRISTIQ HAS SAVED MY LIFE. Fourteen days ago I went to a psychiatrist because I was having suicidal thoughts and anxiety disorders that were paralyzing me with fear at 3:00 AM, I would sit up in bed and could not get to the other end of the black tunnel. I didn't enjoy anything I used to (I love fashion, I love my pets, I love New York City) and I was walking around wanting to die. Two weeks later, I am ME again. I am laughing, I am happy. I'm enjoying people, my work and am in the process of getting sober which has been much better with the help of Pristiq. I was feeling so uncomfortable in my skin I could barely sit still at work. Now I am meditating and can be still in my body. I am calm and peaceful and content.

February 2, 2012 1:21 PM

Review by Beamslee:

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine): I started taking Pristiq about 5 weeks ago. I was experiencing some nausea at first, but after about two weeks it faded. About three weeks in I forgot to take the medicine for three days and completely plummetted into a dangerous pool of emotion. I have been on one other medication, Celexa, and what I like what Pristiq is that I am still able to experience a wide range of emotions. When I was on Celexa I was a little bit numb to things and wasn't able to cry, at all. With Prisiq I am more focused and I am happier.

February 2, 2012 10:05 AM

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine): I started taking Pristiq since I was having anxiety, slight depression and mild panic attacks in my job (I'm in sales). I was taking Lexapro on and off for a couple of years, but felt it wasn't working anymore, so my doctor recommended Pristiq. I am 3 days in and feel great! I've experienced slight nausea (but food helps), decreased appetite, dry mouth and slight jaw clenching. Also my first two days, a couple of hours after I took it (which has been in the morning), I would feel extremely tired. But I would snap out of it and feel great. Overall, I feel happy, calm and focused. I hope to only be on Pristiq for short term, but while I am going through this difficult time in life it will be my miracle.

January 28, 2012 4:15 PM

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine): I've been on Clonazepam for about 3-4 years and it worked for me but it put a severe damper on my libido. My doctor recommeded Pristiq, so I started the weaning of the Clonazepam and began Pristiq. After several weeks I can say there was no effect on my anxiety, thanks to the doctor for perscribing Ativan as a backup. One thing I can say for the Pristiq is it seemed to correct my irritable bowel syndrome. The doc said that the IBS is probably a side affect of the anxiety and the Pristiq stopped that. After reading what people posted about irregularity and the fact that my anxiety remained, I would have to attribute the results to a side effect rather than a sign of improvment. I'm now taking Cipralex for a week with better results.

January 24, 2012 10:52 AM

Pristiq (desvenlafaxine): I was hopeful after reading all the reviews, but I was on 50mg for 2 days and could not bring myself to take it the third day. I was incapable of looking after my two young children, I was out of it and didn't even feel I could get in the car and drive, the simple task of cooking dinner seemed like a nightmare to me. Would have been interesting to see how long this lasted and see the wonderful effects I am reading about. Maybe when my husband is on holidays I might try again but being Christmas in 3 days, working and looking after kids I need to be clear headed. On the plus side I couldn't hardly eat and lost 2kgs.

December 22, 2011 6:14 AM