Medication Guide App

Gonadotropin Inhibition 0 reviews 151 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Kariva reviews 41 reviews 6.3

Reviews for Kariva

Review by Feral Dog: User Rating:

Kariva (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: Periods now occur on-time, every month (sometimes I don't have one, but generally I do), whereas before I never knew when it was coming and went as long as six months without one only to have the bathroom looking like a horror film for weeks on end when it finally came. My facial hair hasn't gone away, although I have noticed the stuff that grows back isn't as bristly.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 25, 2014 4:45 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Kariva (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: Been on Kariva for 2 months and it has its good and bads.. BAD: I have never experienced such bad mood swings in my life. I have little patience, i get extremely mad and aggivated very easily, i can be happy one minute, then CRAZY another minute. So be aware of the horrible mood swings. Didnt do anything for my 7day period. I break out a week before my period. GOOD: it does prevent you from getting pregnant even on the first month.

February 19, 2014 4:40 PM
Review by A.B. (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Kariva (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I was on Kariva for about 6 months and gained about 15 pounds. It regulated my period just fine but I had to go up like 2 pants sizes and had to buy all new bras. I used to be a size 0-3 (depending on brand, usually around a 2 though) but went up to a 5-7 on Kariva. Once I switched to Apri, my breasts stayed about the same size but I lost all of that bloated water-weight that I had on Kariva. On Kariva, I was sooooo bloated every single day and it was miserable. I was all squishy and plump and considering I gained all of my weight on my stomach, wearing anything other than sweatpants felt horrible. DO NOT RECOMMEND.

October 23, 2013 3:42 AM
Review by SarahB1337: User Rating:

Kariva (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I have been on Kariva for about five months. It is my first experience with the birth control pill as I am getting married on September and wanted to be regulated by the wedding. The first couple of months, I experienced mood swings, headaches and weird appetite. However, my side effects have leveled out. I no longer have any side effects. In fact, it has cleared my acne up some. My periods have never been bad but they are now only about 1-2 days long. I would say my cramps may be a little worse, but since the period is shorter it evens out. I have not gained weight from this pill. In fact, along with diet and exercise, I have been able to lose weight while taking this pill. I would recommend Kariva.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
August 23, 2013 1:24 PM
Review by Anonymous12341234: User Rating:

Kariva (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I wanted to share my experience with Kariva because I've been on it so long, 11 years. Pros include no weight gain, minimal mood swings, minimal bloating and shorter periods. Also some contraceptives can cause complications with getting pregnant when you actually Want to but this pill was effective when I used it and caused no issues when my husband and I decided to have a baby and stop using the pill. Took me two weeks to get pregnant. The only bad thing was awful debilitating migraines I dealt with for years that only stopped once I got off this pill. But it got me this far and I liked it better then a lot of other options.

August 11, 2013 9:21 PM
Review by Remelock: User Rating:

Kariva (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: I was on Kariva for about three years. I took it because I am prone to migraines. The pill was great for regulating and lessening my menstruation cycle, however it did nothing to alleviate my migraines. I recently have switched to an IUD which has done the same but no migraines.

April 17, 2013 11:48 PM
Review by MECFlower (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Kariva (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I was prescribed Kariva after another birth control became too expensive. I was afraid to try it out since there were so many negative reviews, but I am happy to say that this is a magical little pill (So far). I have not experienced any weight gain, moodiness, or low libido. My acne cleared up (I'm 27 and have always battled with acne) for the most part. The only drawback is some mild discharge, but nothing to worry about. I LOVE this pill!

March 9, 2013 8:59 AM
Review by Clw1394: User Rating:

Kariva (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I have tried 5 different birth control pills and Kariva has been a lifesaver. I had cysts in my ovary and Kariva shrunk it and now it is gone! I have been on Kariva for 12 months and my skin is porcelain-like, no pimples, lost a few pounds (I've been going to the gym, so it might not even be the birth control), and my mood stayed consistent. I'm switching to either the patch or the ring this month though because my sex drive has been awful for the past 4-5 months, and it's driving me (and my boyfriend) crazy! Zero sex drive and dryness are my only complaints.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 5, 2013 5:11 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Kariva (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): Love this. Cleared my skin up, made my period so light and my cramps disappear. I was a bit moody for the first month, but that went away.

January 6, 2013 10:59 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Kariva (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I have been on this medication for about 5 to 6 months. And it works great for birth control. Even if you miss a pill or too by a little bit, you're still protected and it doesn't effect your period. But ever since I got on the pill, I'm not myself. I'm constantly depressed, and get bad mood swings. And my I have literally no sex-drive what so ever.

October 21, 2012 9:37 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Kariva (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I have been on Kariva for three months now. It has been the first birth control I have tried and it seems to work in the area of birth control as I have not become pregnant. However, I have had my period for eight days every two weeks and finally figured out that my depression systems may have been caused by it; I've been terribly moody, depressed, and cry way more often than normal once I started taking Kariva. Sleep disruptions, loss of appetite, and lower sex drive have also been symptoms I've experienced.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 5, 2012 11:48 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Kariva (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I started taking Kariva when Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo became too expensive for me. I have been on Kariva for the past 4 years. Positives: predictable 5 day periods, no acne, less moodswings. Negatives: weight gain (20 pounds), NO libido whatsoever. I was able to deal with the side effects for 4 years(my poor boyfriend), and now I've had enough. I've stopped taking it, immediately lost 5 pounds, have a great libido again, and find it easy to track my period with P-Tracker app.

September 5, 2012 11:28 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Kariva (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I was on Kariva for 3months and then I decided to stop taking it all together. I'd experience dizziness to the point where I'd have to sit down and also had an increase in constant headaches. The day that I decided to stop taking it, I had an extreme mood swing/panic attack. Some days while taking the pill I didn't feel like myself emotionally. I originally got on the pill to help reduce my cramps because they were so painful. The pain of my cramps did lessen, but occasionally it was still as intense as it was before I was on the pill. I bled/spotted on the third week and had my actual period the fourth. So I ended up bleeding well over a week which is more than my normal. I did not gain any weight, but my appetite increased.

May 30, 2012 10:03 AM
Review by taneesa: User Rating:

Kariva (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: Love this pill. All birth control pills cause side effects but this one is the best for me. A nice plus was fuller breasts.

April 12, 2012 12:40 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Kariva (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): Literally the only good thing Kariva did was prevent pregnancy and clear up my acne. I'm 18 and it's the first birth control I've ever tried. Within the second week of taking it I had a lower sex drive, I gained weight and I couldn't get wet no matter WHAT I did. Also, my periods were never bad to begin with, but on this pill they were SO heavy for 7 days. I had extreme cramping, was always tired, and had shooting pain through my anus every time I would sit down on the toilet. I've been off this for 3 weeks now and everything is completely back to normal.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 20, 2012 9:08 PM
Review by cait: User Rating:

Kariva (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I went on Kariva because I was told that it helped with acne along with being an effective birth control method. I've tried several other birth controls (including Nuvaring, Tri-Sprintec, etc.) and had VERY intense side effects from them. I finally happened upon this miracle that evened out my mood swings, gave me a shorter lighter period and gave me clearer skin than I've had in 10 years. I have ZERO complaints about this medicine.

February 25, 2012 8:32 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Kariva (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I started this pill back in August after being on Loestrin FE. I was happy with that pill but it turned out I was having a bunch of the side effects listed to call your doctor about! Anyways, every month for the past 6 months that I have been on Kariva I have gotten my period a week early and it has lasted through the whole 2 weeks. When I was on Loestrin I got my period on the 4th monday of the month and was finished that Friday. My period has been heavier and I am getting cramps again. The good part of this pill is I am not getting shooting pain in my breasts before my period now, the downside is getting my period for 2 weeks in a row every month. I am going to call my doc on Monday to try a new pill.

January 7, 2012 10:49 PM
Review by Jillian Marie: User Rating:

Kariva (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): This pill was AMAZING. I was on it for three months, no spotting or breakthrough bleeding even if I forgot my pill, I gained a little weight the first month but it was only about 2 lbs and dropped it by next month. I was underweight so it didn't bother me, I didn't break out, my mood overall improved, no or very little cramps, nothing some Midol couldn't fix. Which was why I went on the pill in the first place. My period came the same time every month and I went up about 1 cup size. The only reason I switched was because my mood swings on the placebo week were ridiculous but that's how I was before the pill so I don't think Kariva made me like that. Great pill, I highly recommend it!

November 11, 2011 12:12 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Kariva (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: My doctor suggested Kariva to me because I was previously on Ortho Tri-Cyclen (which made me extremely moody/emotional) and more recently Lo-Estrin (which gave me no sex drive whatsoever and made me completely emotionless). I was anxious to find a happy medium after going from one extreme to the other. I've been on Kariva for three months now. I've never been one to have any type of headaches of any kind, and after being on Kariva I experience headaches multiple times a day. I'm extremely tired all the time and I've gained weight in my breasts (I'm naturally a D and I've went up to a large DD). No sex drive, extreme mood swings, acne and increased appetite. I can't wait to get off this pill. Look for other options before taking Kariva.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 29, 2011 9:45 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Kariva (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I have been taking Kariva for about 8 months, and so far I love it. My skin has cleared up, I have less cramps and far less moodiness before my period. Also, my periods are usually only about 3 days long when they used to be almost a week. I love this birth control! Also, I haven't gotten pregnant yet which is a huge plus. Only negative is I have gained about 15 pounds since starting Kariva (much of which went straight to my breasts). This weight gain could however be from the stress of college and a new boyfriend. Also, the first month I took the pill I would get incredibly nauseous everyday around 8 or 9 pm, but thankfully that subsided. Occasionally I will get this way on the first pill of a new pack but it is bearable. Overall, love it.

October 6, 2011 1:13 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Kariva (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I started this in September 2010 and continued to use it until July 2011. Everything about it was great except for one thing, NO SEX DRIVE whatsoever. My periods were short and light, no weight gain or bloating, no cramping or mood swings, however the no sex drive didn't work for me. After being off of it for a month or so, my libido returned.

October 1, 2011 12:48 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Kariva (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I've been on Kariva for 7 years now and have loved it! I used to have the worst periods ever, going through tampons and pads every hours, but now my periods are light and less painful. Sure, I get moody once a month, but I am a person, right? But everyone is different, and this pill has always worked for me.

August 5, 2011 11:00 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Kariva (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): I've been on Kariva for 2 months and it has turned me into a completely different person. I'm ALWAYS tired. I can sleep just fine but, I'm constantly tired. I never feel rested. I've noticed it's made me depressed. Everyone around me notices also. I've had horrible headaches. My appetite has changed. I have blurred vision, dizziness. Its ridiculous. As far as spotting I haven't experienced any of that. So, effectiveness has been pretty good.

June 19, 2011 6:07 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Kariva (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I've been on Kariva for 8 years with no problems (before Kariva I was on the brand name Mircette - same thing). Four years ago, with the blessings of my gynecologist, I stopped taking the 4th week all together. Haven't had my period for four years, no breakthrough bleeding, no spotting, no worries.

June 15, 2011 4:25 PM
Review by E.W.: User Rating:

Kariva (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I have been using this birth control for about 3 months. I had no serious side effects. I got bigger breasts and perhaps thicker thighs. I did not gain weight because I still weigh the same. Perhaps, I was working out too much (about 3-5 per week) that I gained more muscle on my thighs. There were no mood problems or spotting. I think maintaining healthy diet and working out helps not only to maintain your weight but also be healthy emotionally too.

May 19, 2011 3:40 PM