User Reviews for Dabigatran

Also known as: Pradaxa

Learn more about Dabigatran.

Dabigatran review summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

Compare all 25 medications used in the treatment of Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation.

Reviews for Dabigatran to treat Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation

Review by wordsrus:

Pradaxa (dabigatran): After going to ER with afib, diagnosis was thyroid. Was put on Pradaxa for afib and also had thyroid removed. The most noticable side effect is heartburn. As a result of thyroid removal, I MUST take calcium. Asked the pharmacist what I can take for heartburn whle taking Pradaxa and he said nothing with calcium in it. He advised Pepcid AC since it doesnt have calcium in it. Said not to take tums or other antacids because they contain calcium. Pepcid works great. However I still have to take calcium so am sure to keep Pepcid AC on hand.

January 19, 2014 12:19 PM

Review by Pradaxa Is A Large Step Forward (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Pradaxa (dabigatran): If you are new to taking this medication or are currently on Warfarin, here are a few things to keep in mind: (1) when you start this medication you will likely have a lot of acid - be sure to take Ranitidine but in half the dose most physicians will prescribe. Zantac and other meds will change your body's PH and make you likely to get yeast & fungal infections (2) there is no way to reverse the effects of Pradaxa which is a big issue if you are bleeding in a hospital's ER. (3) Pradaxa is great when it comes to diet. You can eat all the broccoli & vitamin K you want. (4) Pradaxa does not require biweekly blood tests. (5) Your joints will ache after 90 days on Pradaxa (6) Vein pain is common.

October 31, 2013 3:13 PM

Review by GG25:

Pradaxa (dabigatran): Have been taking Pradaxa 150 twice a day since Sept 2011. Initially had extreme acid reflux and heartburn. Tried Nexium, Zantac, Tums, GasX. What has worked best for me is to NEVER take it on an empty stomach. In the evening I eat a small carton of some kind of yogurt before taking my evening dose. Since beginning this regimen I rarely have to take an antacid of any kind.

June 8, 2013 9:17 PM

Review by turfmaster (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Pradaxa (dabigatran): Much superior to warfarin.

May 21, 2013 4:25 PM

Review by JoMaKel (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Pradaxa (dabigatran): Cannot tolerate Warfarin but only got Pradaxa to cover two months previous and one month after catheter ablation for atrial fibrillation. Had a bit of heartburn the first few days, but no side effects at all during the whole three months. Now after three months post ablation, still getting some atrial fibrillation I think, but my doctor will not prescribe it, only the hospital consultant - who is also very reluctant.

January 25, 2013 5:47 AM

Review by ln2:

Pradaxa (dabigatran): Cost reduced because of discount card. Had bad gas, stomach upset after taking each dose until I read about taking Zantac before eating and then taking Pradaxa immediately after meal. I had been taking Pradaxa before breakfast which resulted in burping and gas, and a few hours after dinner which caused bad bloating and stomach upset. Took Nexium for a month incorrectly also, taking before breakfast along with Pradaxa. First time I used Zantac 30 min before dinner and then took Pradaxa immediately after eating I had minimal gas and stomach issues.

October 6, 2012 10:33 PM

Review by mkemter (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Pradaxa (dabigatran): Within two weeks of taking Pradaxa I have experienced a noticeable improvement in health and well-being. Pradaxa has replaced Coumadin, since then all bruising, bleeding and general malaise has ceased. No side effects. From being tired and restless I'm now energetic and active all day.

September 24, 2012 9:37 AM

Review by Ted_S (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Pradaxa (dabigatran): I have taken Pradaxa for a year now. I've had no side effects, and compared to Coumadin it's great. Taking Coumadin, I had to constantly adjust the dosage because I had only one protime in six months that showed the proper clinical result. With Pradaxa, there is no need for the constant blood testing, no side effects for me, and no reason not to take it.

July 8, 2012 7:13 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Pradaxa (dabigatran): I have taken Pradaxa (150 mg) twice daily for a year. I have had no problems. I wish that there was a way to test this medicine for it's effectiveness.

July 7, 2012 12:38 AM

Review by Big W (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Pradaxa (dabigatran): I have been using Pradaxa for a few months after years on Warfarin. It's much easier without the weekly blood tests but I have noticed a few side effects. I have gained weight, 4kg, with the same food intake, get terrible stomach pains about once every 2 weeks, and have had increased reflux even though I take Nexium tablets. Overall the benefits outweigh the problems.

June 24, 2012 11:02 AM

Review by heartgalone (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Pradaxa (dabigatran): I had been on Coumadin for over 10 years and thought Pradaxa would be a God send. However, within a few months of taking it I began to have bad stomach pain and digestive issues. My internist diagnosed me with a peptic ulcer and urged me to consult with my cardiologist about stopping the Pradaxa and going back on Coumadin, which I did. In the 3 months since I have discontinued Pradaxa I am still getting over the stomach/digestive issues (which I have never had before in my life) and am getting my blood PT/INRs back to normal as well.

June 7, 2012 11:10 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Pradaxa (dabigatran): Downside for me with Pradaxa was severe acid reflux. Neither my doctor nor my pharmacist told me until I complained of this that Pradaxa works in an acidic environment so they put acid in the capsule. This was particularly difficult at night. I was taking Tums by the handful. Within a day of not taking it, the acid reflux disappeared. I'm now trying Xarelto. So far, no upset stomach.

May 25, 2012 11:25 AM

Review by ttburden:

Pradaxa (dabigatran): I just started this on Sun (today is Tue)-I notice that I stop bleeding quicker with this (150mg X 2 daily) when shaving than I did with warfarin (7.5mg X 1). I am taking the Pradaxa at 10:30am and 10:30pm. So far have only taken 5 capsules with no problem except for last nights dose that woke me up with pain in the lower abdomen at 3am. Lots of flatulence with the pain that eventually went away.

March 27, 2012 1:33 PM

Pradaxa (dabigatran): For my first 2 - 3 days on Pradaxa, my stomach gurgled. Fortunately, I have had absolutely no other side effects during my 18 months of use. After 7 years on Coumadin, the monthly blood tests and diet control were a bit of a pain especially when traveling for extended periods.

March 11, 2012 11:02 AM

Pradaxa (dabigatran): No more blood checks, bruising not as bad with Praxada.

March 9, 2012 2:32 PM

Pradaxa (dabigatran): I have been on Pradaxa for about six months. What a change; more energy, NO ITCHING. I wish I had never had to take warfarin. I have had some problems with gas, but find if I drink more liquid when taking the medication it is better. My only concern is my doctor telling me of concern regarding heart attacks. From what I was told, there is a study being done.

February 2, 2012 1:03 PM

Pradaxa (dabigatran): I've been taking this medication (Pradaxa) for almost a year now. I was just recently taken off of it by my cardiologist. I was fine for the first few months or so. As time went on one by one I started to have side effects. There have been several varying from constipation or diarrhea, to horrible bloating in my stomach and abdomen, muscle and joint pain, less stamina, cuts/sores taking longer to heal, heartburn/acid reflux very profound, loss of appetite, etc.

February 2, 2012 10:50 AM

Review by Wyo 37:

Pradaxa (dabigatran): I have been on Pradaxa for almost one year. I have had Atrial Fibrillation and was given Pradaxa after being on Warfarin for TWO YEARS. I am pleased with Pradaxa but had to be given medicine for heartburn. No going back but following the STATS on the medicine as to the properties of bleeding. So far so good.

January 23, 2012 1:15 PM

Review by Boo-06:

Pradaxa (dabigatran): Have been on Pradaxa for 7 months, like it a lot better then Coumadin. Taking it because of going into atrial fibrillation after lung surgery 2 years ago. I was put on Coumadin and told not to eat leafy greens. When you have had lung cancer you're supposed to eat leafy greens. They couldn't control the highs and lows I had with Coumadin. My only side effect is a burning feeling in my left knee to my foot but not sure it is related and am having tests done next month for circulation.

December 28, 2011 11:03 AM

Review by rosie12:

Pradaxa (dabigatran): I have been on Pradaxa for one week, no heartburn or gastro problems, but I do find myself waking up during the night. I was taking the medicine before I went to bed, will change that to dinnertime.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 13, 2011 3:21 PM

Pradaxa (dabigatran): I had been taking Pradaxa for 3 weeks when one morning I went to get out of bed and had such severe pain in my knees that I almost fell down. With help I got to the bathroom. I had a scan to be sure I had blood flow, which I did. I had a blood test to see if my potassium level was okay and it was fine. At that point I got off Pradaxa and went to warfarin. I'll just put up with the blood tests and bruising for the next 2 months. Hopefully I will be off the warfarin then.

December 11, 2011 6:31 PM

Pradaxa (dabigatran): Two weeks ago I was diagnosed with atrial fibrillation and put on medicines including Pradaxa. I have never been on any other blood thinning medicines, so this is all new to me. Almost immediately I noticed a severe increase in gas, followed a week later by loose bowels. Yesterday I developed heartburn that will not go away even with Tums and Zantac. I appreciate the suggestions about taking with food and lots of water. I take 150 mg twice a day. I was trying to take 12 hours apart, at about 8 am and 8 pm, but it looks like taking at breakfast and dinner is better. I have had an ulcer, hiatal hernia and GERD about 10 years ago that was finally improved by surgery. Sure hate to go back to heartburn again!

December 3, 2011 3:17 PM

Pradaxa (dabigatran): A bit to early for full review. I started Nov 14. Doctor said take with meals, and I've had none of stomach issues, except for gas. Have noticed loose bowels, and they may also be a side effect. I would rather not take this, but I understand from others that's it much better than warfarin. But it's very expensive. For me, its $230 monthly and insurance doesn't cover. Wish we could get price reduced.

November 21, 2011 3:18 PM

Review by ADalsmom:

Pradaxa (dabigatran): I've been on Pradaxa now for about 2 months and love the convenience of not going for blood work almost every week. Being able to eat anything is great too! The only problem I've experienced is excessive gas....never had that problem before and now it's constant. Keep hoping that the gas will diminish soon, can be embarrassing. Some slight difference in bleeding when scratched.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 20, 2011 10:09 PM

Review by Jack Ernie:

Pradaxa (dabigatran): I've been taking 150mg x 2 per day for 5 weeks. I started it prior to a right side A-flutter ablation, and then a month later, a left side A-fibrillation ablation. I was on Coumadin for about two years while we got to the root cause of my cardiac issues, and I DO NOT miss bi-weekly sticks etc. when adjusting medicines up or down depending on INR results. The only downside for me is the slight nausea and daily loose bowel movements. I do a bit of traveling for work, and it can make the flying portion of travel rather nerve wrecking.

November 14, 2011 11:14 AM