User Reviews for Dabigatran

Also known as: Pradaxa

Learn more about Dabigatran.

Deep Vein Thrombosis 2 reviews 19 medications

7.5
Prevention of Thromb...ial Fibrillation 57 reviews 39 medications

7.4
Pulmonary Embolism 0 reviews 15 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Dabigatran reviews 59 reviews 7.5

Reviews for Dabigatran

Pradaxa (dabigatran) for Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: "Pradaxa gave me acid reflux. Medication burned on the way out as well. I could hardly walk. The pain was intense. Don't recommend."

Morhoyle August 3, 2015

Pradaxa (dabigatran) for Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: "I was given the choice of pradaxa or warfarin, I chose pradaxa as no ongoing blood tests etc. I have an acid reflux and take a PPI, having given up smoking and drinking alcohol. I don't notice any major side effects. I do fart a bit, but then I always have. 11 months on 300mg per day no complaints."

mrallard (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 19, 2015

Pradaxa (dabigatran) for Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: "Since taking Pradaxa my hair has been falling out and my skin is shedding so much it looks like snow flakes."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 27, 2015

Pradaxa (dabigatran) for Deep Vein Thrombosis: "Heartburn other than that tolerable after being on warfarin for 28 yrs, love the fact no constant visits for protime testing."

Delsha November 3, 2014

Pradaxa (dabigatran) for Deep Vein Thrombosis: "I've been on 2x150mg Pradaxa for about 1 year now after being on 14 mg of warfarin for a year before this. I had a DVT followed by a Protein S deficiency diagnosis. I felt really tired/sluggish on warfarin and didn't like the inconvenience of INR testing. I feel better on Pradaxa but I am considering switching back to warfarin because I don't like the idea that there is no antidote for E.R. bleeding with Pradaxa. I work with saws all the time and this is a constant concern."

Slarso (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 15, 2014

Pradaxa (dabigatran) for Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: "After going to ER with afib, diagnosis was thyroid. Was put on Pradaxa for afib and also had thyroid removed. The most noticable side effect is heartburn. As a result of thyroid removal, I MUST take calcium. Asked the pharmacist what I can take for heartburn whle taking Pradaxa and he said nothing with calcium in it. He advised Pepcid AC since it doesnt have calcium in it. Said not to take tums or other antacids because they contain calcium. Pepcid works great. However I still have to take calcium so am sure to keep Pepcid AC on hand."

wordsrus January 19, 2014

Pradaxa (dabigatran) for Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: "If you are new to taking this medication or are currently on Warfarin, here are a few things to keep in mind: (1) when you start this medication you will likely have a lot of acid - be sure to take Ranitidine but in half the dose most physicians will prescribe. Zantac and other meds will change your body's PH and make you likely to get yeast & fungal infections (2) there is no way to reverse the effects of Pradaxa which is a big issue if you are bleeding in a hospital's ER. (3) Pradaxa is great when it comes to diet. You can eat all the broccoli & vitamin K you want. (4) Pradaxa does not require biweekly blood tests. (5) Your joints will ache after 90 days on Pradaxa (6) Vein pain is common."

Pradaxa Is A Large Step Forward (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 31, 2013

Pradaxa (dabigatran) for Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: "Have been taking Pradaxa 150 twice a day since Sept 2011. Initially had extreme acid reflux and heartburn. Tried Nexium, Zantac, Tums, GasX. What has worked best for me is to NEVER take it on an empty stomach. In the evening I eat a small carton of some kind of yogurt before taking my evening dose. Since beginning this regimen I rarely have to take an antacid of any kind."

GG25 June 8, 2013

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Pradaxa (dabigatran) for Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: "Much superior to warfarin."

turfmaster (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 21, 2013

Pradaxa (dabigatran) for Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: "Cannot tolerate Warfarin but only got Pradaxa to cover two months previous and one month after catheter ablation for atrial fibrillation. Had a bit of heartburn the first few days, but no side effects at all during the whole three months. Now after three months post ablation, still getting some atrial fibrillation I think, but my doctor will not prescribe it, only the hospital consultant - who is also very reluctant. "

JoMaKel (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 25, 2013

Pradaxa (dabigatran) for Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: "Cost reduced because of discount card. Had bad gas, stomach upset after taking each dose until I read about taking Zantac before eating and then taking Pradaxa immediately after meal. I had been taking Pradaxa before breakfast which resulted in burping and gas, and a few hours after dinner which caused bad bloating and stomach upset. Took Nexium for a month incorrectly also, taking before breakfast along with Pradaxa. First time I used Zantac 30 min before dinner and then took Pradaxa immediately after eating I had minimal gas and stomach issues."

ln2 October 6, 2012

Pradaxa (dabigatran) for Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: "Within two weeks of taking Pradaxa I have experienced a noticeable improvement in health and well-being. Pradaxa has replaced Coumadin, since then all bruising, bleeding and general malaise has ceased. No side effects. From being tired and restless I'm now energetic and active all day. "

mkemter (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 24, 2012

Pradaxa (dabigatran) for Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: "I have taken Pradaxa for a year now. I've had no side effects, and compared to Coumadin it's great. Taking Coumadin, I had to constantly adjust the dosage because I had only one protime in six months that showed the proper clinical result. With Pradaxa, there is no need for the constant blood testing, no side effects for me, and no reason not to take it."

Ted_S (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 8, 2012

Pradaxa (dabigatran) for Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: "I have taken Pradaxa (150 mg) twice daily for a year. I have had no problems. I wish that there was a way to test this medicine for it's effectiveness."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 7, 2012

Pradaxa (dabigatran) for Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: "I have been using Pradaxa for a few months after years on Warfarin. It's much easier without the weekly blood tests but I have noticed a few side effects. I have gained weight, 4kg, with the same food intake, get terrible stomach pains about once every 2 weeks, and have had increased reflux even though I take Nexium tablets. Overall the benefits outweigh the problems."

Big W (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 24, 2012

Pradaxa (dabigatran) for Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: "I had been on Coumadin for over 10 years and thought Pradaxa would be a God send. However, within a few months of taking it I began to have bad stomach pain and digestive issues. My internist diagnosed me with a peptic ulcer and urged me to consult with my cardiologist about stopping the Pradaxa and going back on Coumadin, which I did. In the 3 months since I have discontinued Pradaxa I am still getting over the stomach/digestive issues (which I have never had before in my life) and am getting my blood PT/INRs back to normal as well."

heartgalone (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 7, 2012

Pradaxa (dabigatran) for Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: "Downside for me with Pradaxa was severe acid reflux. Neither my doctor nor my pharmacist told me until I complained of this that Pradaxa works in an acidic environment so they put acid in the capsule. This was particularly difficult at night. I was taking Tums by the handful. Within a day of not taking it, the acid reflux disappeared. I'm now trying Xarelto. So far, no upset stomach."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 25, 2012

Pradaxa (dabigatran) for Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: "I just started this on Sun (today is Tue)-I notice that I stop bleeding quicker with this (150mg X 2 daily) when shaving than I did with warfarin (7.5mg X 1). I am taking the Pradaxa at 10:30am and 10:30pm. So far have only taken 5 capsules with no problem except for last nights dose that woke me up with pain in the lower abdomen at 3am. Lots of flatulence with the pain that eventually went away. "

ttburden March 27, 2012

Pradaxa (dabigatran) for Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: "For my first 2 - 3 days on Pradaxa, my stomach gurgled. Fortunately, I have had absolutely no other side effects during my 18 months of use. After 7 years on Coumadin, the monthly blood tests and diet control were a bit of a pain especially when traveling for extended periods."

Anonymous March 11, 2012

Pradaxa (dabigatran) for Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: "No more blood checks, bruising not as bad with Praxada."

Anonymous March 9, 2012

Pradaxa (dabigatran) for Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: "I have been on Pradaxa for about six months. What a change; more energy, NO ITCHING. I wish I had never had to take warfarin. I have had some problems with gas, but find if I drink more liquid when taking the medication it is better. My only concern is my doctor telling me of concern regarding heart attacks. From what I was told, there is a study being done."

Anonymous February 2, 2012

Pradaxa (dabigatran) for Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: "I've been taking this medication (Pradaxa) for almost a year now. I was just recently taken off of it by my cardiologist. I was fine for the first few months or so. As time went on one by one I started to have side effects. There have been several varying from constipation or diarrhea, to horrible bloating in my stomach and abdomen, muscle and joint pain, less stamina, cuts/sores taking longer to heal, heartburn/acid reflux very profound, loss of appetite, etc. "

Anonymous February 2, 2012

Pradaxa (dabigatran) for Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: "I have been on Pradaxa for almost one year. I have had Atrial Fibrillation and was given Pradaxa after being on Warfarin for TWO YEARS. I am pleased with Pradaxa but had to be given medicine for heartburn. No going back but following the STATS on the medicine as to the properties of bleeding. So far so good."

Wyo 37 January 23, 2012

Pradaxa (dabigatran) for Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: "Have been on Pradaxa for 7 months, like it a lot better then Coumadin. Taking it because of going into atrial fibrillation after lung surgery 2 years ago. I was put on Coumadin and told not to eat leafy greens. When you have had lung cancer you're supposed to eat leafy greens. They couldn't control the highs and lows I had with Coumadin. My only side effect is a burning feeling in my left knee to my foot but not sure it is related and am having tests done next month for circulation."

Boo-06 December 28, 2011

Pradaxa (dabigatran) for Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: "I have been on Pradaxa for one week, no heartburn or gastro problems, but I do find myself waking up during the night. I was taking the medicine before I went to bed, will change that to dinnertime."

rosie12 December 13, 2011