User Reviews for Flexeril

Learn more about Flexeril.

Flexeril review summary

6.5/10 Average Rating

Compare all 38 medications used in the treatment of Muscle Spasm.

Reviews for Flexeril to treat Muscle Spasm

Review by sleepy001:

Yikes! I don't like taking medication of any kind. I've had a frozen shoulder for 8 months and am ready to gnaw off my own arm from the pain and lack of mobility. My PCP prescribed this for shoulder impingement. I took half of a 10 at 8 pm and slept all night. I do have a very dry mouth and feel hung-over this morning. I'd reserve this for bedtime use only.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 11, 2014 6:04 AM

Review by Is it a lot:

My doctor has me on FLexeril 10 mg 3 times a day but it doesn't work for me. I have been taking it for 2 weeks now he wants to up my dose. To 20 mg 3 times a day that sounds like a lot to me.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 10, 2014 5:59 PM

Review by HankySpanky:

I take 10mg 3x a day along with ibuprofen when my lower back starts acting up. I am better in 2 - 3 days. Works great for me. My doctor used to also prescribe a narcotic pain reliever but that did nothing for the pain. Ibuprofen along with Flexeril works best.

November 22, 2014 7:53 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Made me sleep constantly. Did not stop spasms or pain

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 11, 2014 1:35 AM

Review by mlb70 (taken for 10 years or more):

I found this medication does not work at all

June 18, 2014 9:16 AM

Review by Working Man (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I find Flexeril 'tops' for killing muscle pain associated with spasm, knots and/or injury. Compared to Valium (which I also have) the Flexeril does a better job for the actual pain & spasm. However, Flexeril does have heavy side effects which could discourage first time users: - Dry mouth and eyes. - A 'tight feeling' of the upper chest & bronchioles (very similar to what a high dose of Benadryl does). - Slightly blurry vision. - A substantial drowsiness which, for me, occurs about 4 hours after taking the dose. It becomes a struggle to stay awake. Definitely never go above the recommended dose - because of the harsh side effects.

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 16, 2014 11:30 PM

Review by fayfaith (taken for 2 to 5 years):

It really does work and helps me to relax so I can rest & sleep. And I've taken it for off & on for several years! I have arthritis, pinched nerves, muscle spasms & a lot more elements. IT WORKS. But what works for one might not work for another. Best wishes to everyone!

71 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 11, 2014 11:11 PM

Review by stabee (taken for less than 1 month):

I thought this was helping my back and sciatica. Today was my 4th day taking it and I have stomach pain so bad I am contemplating going to the emergency room. I can't keep any food down at all either. This is worse than the back/leg pain.

April 16, 2014 2:40 PM

Review by Optional (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Was on Soma but VA took it away due to addictive possibilities. Didn't experience any of the withdrawals. In any case prescribed Flexeril and it was okay except for the side effects. Had severe difficulty urinating, then one would start it would just dribble out. Trying Robaxin next. Will update on how it works for me.

September 30, 2013 1:34 PM

Review by BeeGees (taken for less than 1 month):

Definitely relaxed my back muscles. The only odd side effect is a very, very, very strong hangover. I couldn't focus my eyes on one thing for more than a second. Caused me to sleep about 18 hours at a time.

101 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 13, 2013 2:57 PM

Review by freednerd (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Helps with muscle pain and tension. Does cause drowsiness, but if you are hurting it is worth it. Take currently for Fibromyalgia when I am having a bad day. Can take small doses and function at work, but larger doses I will be asleep.

99 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 27, 2013 1:07 PM

Review by Sunshine9:

I get muscle tightness and spasms often after workouts as a side effect of arthritis in my back & neck (which was diagnosed for me in 2011). Flexeril was prescribed for this problem. It works great, but here is my feedback. First few times I took it, it knocked me out. Had to lay down & sleep. Took awhile of taking it in smaller doses, where this effect went away. After 3 weeks of use, I started holding fluids really bad. So I no longer use it daily, only as desperately needed. Also causes constipation, so be prepared to add Fiber to your diet to help with that. When I do take it, I'm able to work out the problem areas in my neck (which bothers me the most) with sports cream rub, while on the Flexeril. I can definitely recommend!

114 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 3, 2013 3:01 PM

I tore my labrum in my left hip, doctor gave me Robaxin at 1st but didn't seem to work. I take 2 of these and 1 Vicodin and I feel much better. After surgery I will hopefully be able to get rid of these and get back to normal.

October 11, 2012 12:20 AM

Review by LillyF (taken for 1 to 6 months):

This is the best muscle relaxer, in my opinion. I took a star off because it knocks me out cold. If I'm asleep, I'm not going to feel pain or spasms either way.

May 1, 2012 11:29 AM

I take Flexeril for muscle spasm related to bulged discs at L3-L4, L4-L5, and L5-S1. I get sciatica down both legs. I also have C6-C7 facet joint damage that catches and occasionally prevents me from turning my head to the left. I am highly resistant to narcotics and anesthetics, and take 10mg Flexeril during the day without any side effects. It allows me to function without letting the muscles lock up. It stops the pain cycle (pain=muscle tension=pain=muscle tension). When I take it at night, it quicly reduces the spasming. If the pain is severe, I take with narcotics for one night to force massive relaxation. This should be done with extreme caution tho - combining opiates and muscle relaxers can cause someone to stop breathing.

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 15, 2012 11:25 PM

Review by angziety:

The side effect that made me stop it was severe reflux. I would wake up from a dead sleep basically vomiting in my mouth and nearly choking on it. This happened nightly for weeks and I just couldn't tolerate it anymore. It does help a great deal with relaxing the muscles (and for pain). I also get insomnia from this while most people get drowsy.

February 15, 2012 2:55 AM

I took this when I pulled a muscle in my back and could no longer pick up my infant daughter. I took it in the middle of the day and it helped with the pain. Initially didn't make me sleepy but the next morning it was near impossible to wake up. It was that terrible "hang-over" feeling. It was the worst I've ever felt. I could hardly make myself wake up to get dressed and use the restroom. I laid around until almost 4pm the next day just because of pure lack of energy. Luckily I was only prescribed it for a week or so otherwise I'm sure I would have quit taking it because of the drowsiness after effect.

February 4, 2012 6:21 PM

Relaxed me. helped my problem.

January 15, 2012 10:30 PM

I have severe neck pain and muscle knots in my neck. I've been told by my doctor these knots are essentially small bone spurs that protrude into the muscle tissue which causes spasms. This is particularly bad when its damp or rainy. I was prescribed 10 mg of Flexeril. Overall, I'd say it works great with very few side effects. The only issue is some days 10mg doesn't seem to help very much. I have taken up to 15 mg (one-and-a-half) when the pain or knots are really bad. At the 10 mg dose I do NOT have any problems with being sleepy and take it during the work day all the time with no sleepiness. If I take it with a pain medicine it will make me drowsy. The sleepiness side effect seems to vary person to person.

December 22, 2011 5:14 PM

I was prescribed 10mg Flexeril after pulling an abdominal muscle which lead to spasms. The Flexeril made the pain and spasms stop but gave me severe dry mouth and made me so dizzy I couldn't get to sleep.

November 11, 2011 6:46 AM

Review by XmyXoneXandXonlyX:

This medicine has greatly improved my quality of life with my spasms in my back!

October 11, 2011 11:02 PM

I had used this years ago when I had several dislocations of my shoulder. My recovery time was cut in half.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 7, 2011 12:34 AM

Works well for spasms in my trapezius muscles. However makes me lethargic for next 24 hrs.

October 1, 2011 12:04 AM

This has not helped in my neck condition. I went to the doctor and they put me on this. She diagnosed a strained trapezius muscle in spasms. This has been going on for 8 days now and no relief. I am planning to go to urgent care again tomorrow.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 4, 2011 1:12 AM

Review by TessaK:

I'm on it for fibromyalgia and it helps me more than the antidepressants and Mirapex did, but doesn't totally erase my pain. A lot of people complain that it knocks them out, but I'm on 10mg a dose and it doesn't do that to me.

June 21, 2011 3:45 PM