User Reviews for Flexeril

Learn more about Flexeril.

Flexeril Review Summary

6.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 38 medications used in the treatment of Muscle Spasm.

Reviews for Flexeril to treat Muscle Spasm

"Ok so I got Flexeril 10mg prescribed from an ER np, after going through ultra sounds etc. for what I feared was a DVT. Things came back nornal, so she gave me this. I took one the next night, and about 30 minutes later, started nodding off...but this wasn't your normal dosing off. Everytime I would feel myself dosing, I'd start hearing voices. These sleepyness/auditory hallucinations were the first effects. I didn't even notice if the pains were still there because I was constantly fighting to stay awake because the auditory hallucinations started to really scare me. Probably about an hour or so later, I completely knocked out (around 11:30) and didn't wake up until 1 pm the next day. Won't take this ever again "

Mieko EC (taken for less than 1 month) May 16, 2015

"My doctor prescribed 10 mg flexeril 3 times per day for a painful and crippling muscle spasm in my lower back. The dosage helped relax my back, but it also relaxed everything else in my body. I had difficulty controlling my extremities, as if they were detached from the rest of my body. Sometimes I didn't have enough control of my tongue to speak clearly. Sometimes I felt weak and uncoordinated, for example, I had to take my time going up and down stairs. I felt generally sleepy and spaced out most of the time, and felt thirstier than usual. I also needed more sleep than usual, 10 hours. Overall effective for helping my condition, but the side effects were a little frightening."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 11, 2015

"Taking this medication after 3 day I experienced watery bowel motion."

shellesbelles (taken for less than 1 month) March 14, 2015

"I pulled/strained a muscle in my upper back last week, and the pain was so bad, I could hardly breathe. My doctor prescribed Flexeril which I took as soon as possible with a little food - around 2:00 PM. About an hour later I was out COLD - asleep for the rest of the day, that night, and until late the next morning. Good thing I took a couple of days off from work, because I felt drowsy and weird for at least 24 hours after I took it. There's no way I could have driven - much less accomplished anything at work. Having said all this, it really did kill the pain. It's as if I never injured my back. But at what cost? I think I'll take 800 mgs of ibuprofen instead if I ever have a similar injury."

QueenPooch (taken for less than 1 month) March 10, 2015

"I've taken Flexeril off and on since 'late '98 when I was (mis)diagnosed with muscle-spasms (ER trip was due to a kidney stone). Flex was great at relieving muscles spasms for 7 out of 10 days Rx-d. I took it for all 10 days, tho' the low-back spasms were gone after day 7--the kidney-stone-pain, however, remained. I've been taking it "as needed" (having fractured my T12 or L1 vertebra when I was 8, herniated discs, etc--at this writing, I'm 59) for about 6 months, per my PCP. After the first bottle, I told him about the soporific/zombie effects and he now requires me to take it only when I go to bed to sleep. Flex has a 1/2 life of 18-23 hours. Thus, it doesn't wear off fast. A bit of Melatonin helps me get better-than-zombie sleep. :)"

JohnEEADBL March 4, 2015

"Yikes! I don't like taking medication of any kind. I've had a frozen shoulder for 8 months and am ready to gnaw off my own arm from the pain and lack of mobility. My PCP prescribed this for shoulder impingement. I took half of a 10 at 8 pm and slept all night. I do have a very dry mouth and feel hung-over this morning. I'd reserve this for bedtime use only."

sleepy001 December 11, 2014

"My doctor has me on FLexeril 10 mg 3 times a day but it doesn't work for me. I have been taking it for 2 weeks now he wants to up my dose. To 20 mg 3 times a day that sounds like a lot to me."

Is it a lot December 10, 2014

"I take 10mg 3x a day along with ibuprofen when my lower back starts acting up. I am better in 2 - 3 days. Works great for me. My doctor used to also prescribe a narcotic pain reliever but that did nothing for the pain. Ibuprofen along with Flexeril works best."

HankySpanky November 22, 2014

"Made me sleep constantly. Did not stop spasms or pain"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 11, 2014

"I found this medication does not work at all"

mlb70 (taken for 10 years or more) June 18, 2014

"I find Flexeril 'tops' for killing muscle pain associated with spasm, knots and/or injury. Compared to Valium (which I also have) the Flexeril does a better job for the actual pain & spasm. However, Flexeril does have heavy side effects which could discourage first time users: - Dry mouth and eyes. - A 'tight feeling' of the upper chest & bronchioles (very similar to what a high dose of Benadryl does). - Slightly blurry vision. - A substantial drowsiness which, for me, occurs about 4 hours after taking the dose. It becomes a struggle to stay awake. Definitely never go above the recommended dose - because of the harsh side effects."

Working Man (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 16, 2014

109 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"It really does work and helps me to relax so I can rest & sleep. And I've taken it for off & on for several years! I have arthritis, pinched nerves, muscle spasms & a lot more elements. IT WORKS. But what works for one might not work for another. Best wishes to everyone!"

fayfaith (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 11, 2014

115 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I thought this was helping my back and sciatica. Today was my 4th day taking it and I have stomach pain so bad I am contemplating going to the emergency room. I can't keep any food down at all either. This is worse than the back/leg pain."

stabee (taken for less than 1 month) April 16, 2014

"Was on Soma but VA took it away due to addictive possibilities. Didn't experience any of the withdrawals. In any case prescribed Flexeril and it was okay except for the side effects. Had severe difficulty urinating, then one would start it would just dribble out. Trying Robaxin next. Will update on how it works for me."

Optional (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 30, 2013

"Definitely relaxed my back muscles. The only odd side effect is a very, very, very strong hangover. I couldn't focus my eyes on one thing for more than a second. Caused me to sleep about 18 hours at a time."

BeeGees (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2013

121 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Helps with muscle pain and tension. Does cause drowsiness, but if you are hurting it is worth it. Take currently for Fibromyalgia when I am having a bad day. Can take small doses and function at work, but larger doses I will be asleep."

freednerd (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 27, 2013

112 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I get muscle tightness and spasms often after workouts as a side effect of arthritis in my back & neck (which was diagnosed for me in 2011). Flexeril was prescribed for this problem. It works great, but here is my feedback. First few times I took it, it knocked me out. Had to lay down & sleep. Took awhile of taking it in smaller doses, where this effect went away. After 3 weeks of use, I started holding fluids really bad. So I no longer use it daily, only as desperately needed. Also causes constipation, so be prepared to add Fiber to your diet to help with that. When I do take it, I'm able to work out the problem areas in my neck (which bothers me the most) with sports cream rub, while on the Flexeril. I can definitely recommend!"

Sunshine9 February 3, 2013

130 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I tore my labrum in my left hip, doctor gave me Robaxin at 1st but didn't seem to work. I take 2 of these and 1 Vicodin and I feel much better. After surgery I will hopefully be able to get rid of these and get back to normal."

Anonymous October 11, 2012

"This is the best muscle relaxer, in my opinion. I took a star off because it knocks me out cold. If I'm asleep, I'm not going to feel pain or spasms either way."

LillyF (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 1, 2012

"I take Flexeril for muscle spasm related to bulged discs at L3-L4, L4-L5, and L5-S1. I get sciatica down both legs. I also have C6-C7 facet joint damage that catches and occasionally prevents me from turning my head to the left. I am highly resistant to narcotics and anesthetics, and take 10mg Flexeril during the day without any side effects. It allows me to function without letting the muscles lock up. It stops the pain cycle (pain=muscle tension=pain=muscle tension). When I take it at night, it quicly reduces the spasming. If the pain is severe, I take with narcotics for one night to force massive relaxation. This should be done with extreme caution tho - combining opiates and muscle relaxers can cause someone to stop breathing."

Anonymous March 15, 2012

95 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"The side effect that made me stop it was severe reflux. I would wake up from a dead sleep basically vomiting in my mouth and nearly choking on it. This happened nightly for weeks and I just couldn't tolerate it anymore. It does help a great deal with relaxing the muscles (and for pain). I also get insomnia from this while most people get drowsy."

angziety February 15, 2012

"I took this when I pulled a muscle in my back and could no longer pick up my infant daughter. I took it in the middle of the day and it helped with the pain. Initially didn't make me sleepy but the next morning it was near impossible to wake up. It was that terrible "hang-over" feeling. It was the worst I've ever felt. I could hardly make myself wake up to get dressed and use the restroom. I laid around until almost 4pm the next day just because of pure lack of energy. Luckily I was only prescribed it for a week or so otherwise I'm sure I would have quit taking it because of the drowsiness after effect."

Anonymous February 4, 2012

"Relaxed me. helped my problem. "

Anonymous January 15, 2012

"I have severe neck pain and muscle knots in my neck. I've been told by my doctor these knots are essentially small bone spurs that protrude into the muscle tissue which causes spasms. This is particularly bad when its damp or rainy. I was prescribed 10 mg of Flexeril. Overall, I'd say it works great with very few side effects. The only issue is some days 10mg doesn't seem to help very much. I have taken up to 15 mg (one-and-a-half) when the pain or knots are really bad. At the 10 mg dose I do NOT have any problems with being sleepy and take it during the work day all the time with no sleepiness. If I take it with a pain medicine it will make me drowsy. The sleepiness side effect seems to vary person to person."

Anonymous December 22, 2011

"I was prescribed 10mg Flexeril after pulling an abdominal muscle which lead to spasms. The Flexeril made the pain and spasms stop but gave me severe dry mouth and made me so dizzy I couldn't get to sleep."

Anonymous November 11, 2011