User Reviews for Copper

Also known as: ParaGard

Copper Rating Summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 226 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Copper to treat Birth Control

"I was so worried about getting it fitted that the first time, when the nurse had only just starting going into my cervix and I could start feeling uncomfortable I chickened out. However I tried again, took a few more pain killers and went to a different place where the doctor was very experienced fitting coils on childless women like me and the nurse was lovely and held my hand and chatted throughout. It wasn't comfortable but it wasn't horrible either. I have some period type cramping and spotting for a few days and everything was fine, I even went for a run on day 3 after the fitting. My periods are slightly heavier than when I was on the pill but they are the same as when I wasn't on any contraceptive. I love it and highly recommend."

Lilou February 8, 2016

"The procedure was pretty painful but really short. I had some pretty decent cramping directly after. I went straight home feeling kind of achy, and sat and watched netflicks with a heating pad for a few hours thinking 'ok when is it going to get bad?'. I got up and went to target to see how I felt walking around, I had some cramping after walking around. Next day went to work, I hardly bled at all but I did feel achy. Later on day 2 my boyfriend and I were able to have sex. (with no issues) Day 3 no bleeding, light cramping. Day 4 (today) no bleeding or cramping. So far, it has been a good experience!"

snack shack February 8, 2016

ParaGard (copper): "I was very nervous about getting the copper IUD after reading reviews, but it was much better than I expected. Insertion was definitely painful, but not excruciating. It wasn't much worse than a bad menstrual cramp. One thing that REALLY helped: I listened to my favorite song on my phone during the procedure! Seriously, do this!! Focusing on the song and taking deep breaths made the experience so much easier. My doctor suggested this, and I can't thank her enough. The cramps for the first two days afterwards were pretty bad, but 800mg of Ibuprofen worked well. It is now the third day, and the cramps are totally gone. I'm still spotting a little bit, nothing a panty liner can't handle. All in all, the discomfort was well worth it."

KrisMR (taken for less than 1 month) February 7, 2016

ParaGard (copper): "I'm writing a post insertion review. I got my IUD inserted 5 days ago. The insertion was quick, about 2 min. I have a low pain threshold. But it wasn't much worse than a PAP exam. I have white coat syndrome, so I was clammy and nervous. But that's normal for me. I cramped with really dull cramps that evening. But they have since been fewer and further between. I sat on the floor to do my nails after and that felt better than laying down. Ibuprofen and heated adhesive pads helped a lot. My period started 2 days before insertion, and was heavy for 24 hours, but after that, normal. After reading some reviews, I plan to take iron supplements and probiotics to prevent iron deficiency and vaginal infections. I was on the Nuvaring for 5 years. :)"

36 no kids (taken for less than 1 month) February 6, 2016

"I've had my IUD for a little over a year now, and so far I have no serious complaints. The insertion process was very uncomfortable and afterwards I was in the worst pain of my life for about an hour before the ibuprofen kicked in. I honestly had difficulty walking the contractions were so bad. But once the ibuprofen started working I felt completely fine and never experienced any pain after that day. My periods did get a bit heavier, to the point where there are times it's so heavy I think I'm having a miscarriage, but I don't really mind it and it is significantly better than the alternative. I've had several horrific experiences with hormonal birth control before, so this has been a lifesaver and a huge peace of mind."

orangetoday2313 (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 6, 2016

ParaGard (copper): "I just got my Paraguard removed after 5.5 months. I was having cramps that made me yelp aloud and miss work, my periods were very heavy (like overnight pad plus a heavy tampon every two hours), and I had regular nausea. I really wanted to have a hormone free option but those side effects were too, too much. I'm pretty sensitive to hormones but it comes very recommended by many women. I'm 33 and have never had kids."

Learner of Lesson February 6, 2016

"I had the Paragard in for 10 years. Only real side effect was heavy bleeding and bloating. However, insertion was painful. When I went to remove it as I was sick of the heavy bleeding and it had been 10 years, part of the IUD broke in my uterus (apparently it was embedded). Had to get a hysteroscopy where they go into your uterus and find the broken piece and taken out. Absolutely not a nice experience (painful and generally unpleasant). Even though I did not get pregnant on Paragard, had I known that this could've broken off, I would have never, ever gotten it."

AnnaKB (taken for 10 years or more) February 4, 2016

"I had the Paraguard put in by my Midwife, who recommended I take 3 Motrin beforehand. It was excruciating and didn't let up. It felt like a knife was inside my cervix, and the pain made me nauseous, dizzy, shaky, and see stars. I felt like I was going to pass out that night. The next day when I called, they ordered an emergency ultrasound. My body was trying to push the IUD out and it "migrated" so that instead of the top of the T laying horizontal and flat, one side was poking into me. They removed it immediately and the removal was also painful, but I had relief from the stabbing pain right away. She looked at the device and it had even bent (in 24 hours). I would not recommend this device."

Elle123 February 4, 2016

ParaGard (copper): "I have had the Paragard IUD for about seven years now. The first few periods where really tough. I considered removing it. After a few months my periods were no different than how they were before. I can understand initial heavy cramping and bleeding that a few have mentioned. For me it did subside. My periods are relatively regular give or take a few days and last about 5 days. Not having to even think about birth control is such a luxury for a married person who does not want to become pregnant. Depending on the time of the month the string can hang a bit out of the cervix which can be bothersome (yes I check) otherwise I have no complaints. I'm afraid it will hurt during removal though. :/"

EnGee (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 4, 2016

"I had a copper IUCD inserted shortly after the arrival of our last baby. Once I got my period back, the first 6 months included very very heavy long periods, but since then it is all back to normal with no sideeffects. If you can endure the first 6 months it is worth it!"

Moa (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 4, 2016

"So I got the copper iud paragard 7 months ago. I remember the insertion hurt like a bad cramp with a shooting pain down my leg for all of two seconds and bam done. I got up right after and walked out. For a couple of weeks I think maybe it was all in my head but I felt like I could feel it in there. And I was paranoid. But forward to now..I don't even think about it anymore. Just check and make sure the string is still there and that's basically it. My periods are longer and still harder then most periods. I was on birth control pills for awhile though and I would have like 3 day periods with barely nothing so it's very different in that. But other then that it's been great. Especially knowing I'm not on the pill anymore with its risks."

Jenn M February 4, 2016

"Extremely painful! I had severe cramping from three weeks after insertion, then experience contraction like cramping about 20 days out of the month. It's awful"

Hateit (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 3, 2016

ParaGard (copper): "I switched from Nuvaring to Paragard because I hated the way the ring felt and wanted a nonhormonal option since I felt like Nuvaring robbed me of my libido. Insertion was uncomfortable for 30 seconds, just felt crampy afterwards. The first 6 months on Paragard were absolutely brutal. Cramps like I couldn't believe and more blood than I knew what to do with. Periods lasted for about 10 days on average. I figured it would just take time for my body to adjust. I'm 2 years in and my symptoms have lessened slightly, but for the most part I'm spending the better part of the month exhausted and in horrible pain. Having it removed this week and cannot wait to use a birth control that doesn't suck the life out of me. Do not recommend."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 3, 2016

ParaGard (copper): "I had the Paragard inserted today. A little discomfort getting it put in. Nothing more than like having a Pap smear done. Did not take long at all. I heard I was supposed to have period like cramps, but none yet. I can't even tell I have it in there. I do go back in a month to have ultrasound to make sure it is still in place. So far, so good"

Angel3000 (taken for less than 1 month) February 3, 2016

"I decided to write about my experience because reading about other women's experiences with this type of birth control is what ultimately helped me... I've had paragard for 6 months The first 3 were rocky. I did it on a Friday morning caused a huge cramp as did insertion. I took 800 mg of Advil, Valium and a loratab about an hour before (none of which was prescribed..just extras I had around from wisdom teeth removal) After insertion there were no cramps but on the drive home they started. That Friday night was terrible. I had no spotting but only a bottle of wine and lots of Advil cured the cramps. 1 UTI, 1 case of BV, and 1 month of constant back pain later I'm happy with the IUD. Periods do still last 7-10 days, not as heavy though."

KCOK February 3, 2016

"Right off the bat - the insertion/measuring of the cervix was the worst pain I have ever experienced in my life. I have horrible cramps and my tolerance for pain is high. But this pain cannot be explained - I took naproxen before and was on my period while getting inserted. All that "timing makes a difference" is rubbish. It makes no difference - you either feel pain or you don't. THAT BEING SAID - this birth control has been great. I am only 2 months in and my body is still getting used to it ie - copper smell, spotting and longer periods and cramping. But I FEEL LIKE ME and there is no weight gain. I recommend for anyone who doesn't want hormones! I am so against birth control and can't believe I'm saying how good this one is! definitely recommend!"

Loving the IUD (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 29, 2016

ParaGard (copper): "I had paragard for a year and a half and had cramping the whole time with terrible long heavy periods. The last couple months I had it I was in so much pain I could hardly walk. Went to my doc and she said nothing seemed wrong. Then the next day I went to the ER and had it removed. It had slipped a little and was causing a lot of discomfort. I will never get an IUD again. I'm lucky I didn't need surgery like some women"

allyb1988 January 29, 2016

ParaGard (copper): "I'm currently 22 and I've had my IUD for close to four years (March) I love it. I do have to warn though. It does cause heavier periods for the first few months. Mine went from three days to about a week long. There will be cramping. It is painful some days. But I've never had cramps to begins with. So this was new. If you can get through the first 4-6 months of this, it is the best form of birth control. I always recommend it to my lady friends."

Lizabeth P. January 28, 2016

"Unfortunately my procedure didn't go like it should have, but I'm one of few who has had this happen so don't freak out. But when it was inserted, it was sharp mild cramps but I had taken some pain killers before just to be safe and as they were cutting my strings, they had yanked a little and it was ripped out. The nurse and doctor apologized, saying they had miss measured me and didn't put it in all the way. So they redid the thing again. But, I must say I've loved it. I've had a few instances where I should have been pregnant but the IUD did it's job. Although, I worry a lot over possibilities of it failing, so use extra protection just in case. But so far works 100% for me"

Dacco (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 28, 2016

ParaGard (copper): "I've had the Paragard 3 separate times. The first time was after the birth of my two oldest. Had it for about 4 years before removing it to to try to conceive. Miscarried in 06' but don't blame the Paragard. Cancer in 07' then had 3 more healthy children. After my 5th I had my second one put in. Had it for over a year but then had weight loss surgery and lost about 80 pounds and removed the IUD myself to try to conceive. Pregnant within 2 months of removing it! Had 2 more babies (7 total) and just today had my 3rd Paragard inserted until at least 2 years from now. Minimal cramping with insertion, took less than a minute, very effective and allows pregnancy immediately after removal. I need a non hormonal birth control due to the cancer so this is perfect for me!"

Amy Stormylove (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 25, 2016

ParaGard (copper): "I have had mine in for almost 2 years. At first it was amazing. Got my periods like normal a bit heavy but it was tolerable. I was running in to problems with it in the last few months. I have sex with one person. But at least once every other month I get bv. It is because of the birth control and because I have sex. My body isn't handling having a foreign object in it. It is either stop having sex or get it taken out. We'll I'm opting to get it removed and I'm getting my tubes tide. Not only has this thing caused BV but my periods are getting worse to the point where I can't even get out of bed because of the pain. No meds work to take away the pain."

JLH2016 January 25, 2016

ParaGard (copper): "I had the paraguard I inserted in the beginning of December 2015, and so far I LOVE it!!!!!! My period is a tiny bit heavier but nothing bad. I love it's good for 19 years and it's nonhormonal! :)"

HappyCamper2015 January 25, 2016

"I am 48 & had 2 kids. I was having problem with hormonal bc making me depressed, angry, breaking out and high blood pressure. Time to get off tne hormones. So I had paragard inserted Friday. It's Sunday now. So far so good. Insertion wasn't a picnic but wasn't so bad either. I didn't take anything ahead of the appointment. I had some mild cramps and one sharp cramp that made me catch my breath but it was over in minutes. I was able to go back to work after the insertion. I had cramping off and on the rest of the day but nothing terrible. Mild cramps the next day too. None so far today. A little bit of spotting the first day but nothing since. Overall, feeling much better with no hormones."

MM5 (taken for less than 1 month) January 24, 2016

ParaGard (copper): "It sucks! It burned the first day they insert it! I've been having it but I get a really heavy periods and big headaches!"

Anonymous January 22, 2016

ParaGard (copper): "Insertion was a breeze, I didn't feel anything. First year went fine, besides the ridiculously heavy periods. But some side effects I had were; yeast infections, fatigue, weight gain, migraines, cramping, dizziness, nausea, racing heart, brain fog, hair loss, eye sensitivity, brain pressure, and brain shakes. They probably say little or no copper makes it to your bloodstream. But I believe plenty does, and when that happens, when your blood has enough copper in it, it can begin storing copper in your organs and tissues in your body, causing tons of bad side effects, while also not showing on a blood test that anything is wrong. I got this IUD taken out a few days ago and I feel like the old me again, with my side effects lessening each day."

Nichole122 January 20, 2016