User Reviews for Copper

Also known as: ParaGard

Copper Rating Summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 233 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Copper to treat Birth Control

"So I've had my Paragard for 6 mos now, after being on Yasmin till pregnancy and then no birth control for a year. Lemme break it down. I consider myself to have a pretty high pain tolerance. I disregarded the advice to take pain meds prior to insertion, and that was a bad move! The pain during insertion and immediately after was prrrrretty horrible. After that, there was some mildly irritating cramping the rest of the day, but nothing horrible. Now, my first period after the IUD - holy moly. It came in the night, and I was not prepared....it looked like a massacre occurred on my couch. My next 3 to 4 periods were HEAVY. Like, super plus tampon every couple hours. I'm happy to say that after 6 months, it's not like that anymore!!"

honeyrabbit (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 28, 2016

ParaGard (copper): "I've had Paragard for 6 months now and it's great. I got off Seasonique, so it was an adjustment going back to periods every month, but worth it. (Plus, I started using one of those cups and it makes life so much easier for me!) Honestly, my main concern on the pill was that I had pretty much no desire for sex and everything "down there" felt so dried up. I wanted to get off hormones, too, for all those risks, but truly, sex was the main factor. Also worth it. :) My gyno was really good. She had me take Misoprostol before hand and 800 mg ibuprofen. The insertion was quick but yes, painful. She had me keep taking the pills the next month, then did a follow up with ultrasound to check on things. This is free now with insurance!"

rollingchair (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 27, 2016

ParaGard (copper): "I had my Paragard inserted about 3 weeks ago without pre-medicating (I was suggested to take 600-800 mg of ibuprofen beforehand, but I forgot, DO NOT MAKE THIS MISTAKE). I think I have a high pain tolerance, but the pain I experienced during insertion landed on my top 3 most painful experiences. Its 2 of the sharpest, most intense cramps you'll never want to feel again. Anyways, i spotted fairly lightly (I have light periods) for 3-4 days and mild to moderate cramps. Nothing that ibuprofen can't handle! I can feel the strings if I really look for em. My boyfriend hasn't noticed it, and I haven't had my period on it yet. But after the cramps and spotting subsided my (sex) life improved thanks to no more worrying! :)"

catmeow (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2016

ParaGard (copper): "I've had mine in for over six months now, and I love it. My periods were light before insertion and I've never had cramps. For the first three months after insertion, my periods were very heavy, but the blood flow has decreased every time. Still no cramps. Very painful first day of insertion, but 100% worth it. I also love how there are no hormones and its long lasting. Would highly recommend. But, if you don't mind hormones and have a heavy flow, go with the Mirena"

oliviasross1212 April 23, 2016

"Hormonal birth just didn't work for me I was on nexplanon but it made me crazy also caused crazy yeast infections, so I have the ParaGuard a shot, when I went in to get it done the only thing that really hurt was the thing they used to clamp ur cervix but there was cramping but bare able but I just finished my period but there was a lot of blood like everywhere I didn't even know but right after just some spotting a little bit of cramps this is day 2 no cramps or anything feel no different which is good but I heard a lot of different thing I really hope this works out will update later on"

Sarah S (taken for less than 1 month) April 22, 2016

ParaGard (copper): "ParaGard works great for me! I've had it for about 8 months now and no problems!! I would highly recommend for those of you who don't want to deal with annoying hormone treatments!"

Rachel0099 April 22, 2016

ParaGard (copper): "Got paragard on April 19th, holy cow it was a painful insertion. I was tense which made it even worse. Relax and spread those legs is the best advice I can give. The insertion felt like a knife in my uterus, followed by a mega period cramp. The following days were full of cramps and bleeding. The 3rd day blood just came out like a stream. The cramps are bearable but I can't survive without pain relievers. Im just excited to adjust to the iud, gonna be a long wait. I know it's painful but better than the pill. The pill scared me because of chest pain and leg numbness."

Kris_ssy April 21, 2016

"Had tried all hormonal options including nuvaring... I find paraguard the best.... Yes cycles are bit long and heavy.... Initially had some cramping.... But it is gone now.... So far I love my paraguard iud...."

Fh April 20, 2016

ParaGard (copper): "Ive had the paragraud in for 3 months and so far i love it . I was on the implanon prior to this nd i didnt have a good experince with it after a year and a half i took it out and switched to the paragraud. I had stopped getting periods and with the paragraud am getting my period regularly again, there heavier than am used to but nothing too bad another side affect is the cramps there occissional but i nothing i cant tolerate. It does not interfere at all with mine and my partners sex life . So far i have nothing bad to say i would choose this non-hormonal method with no doubt."

yanel April 13, 2016

ParaGard (copper): "I had the ParaGard inserted on April 1st. The day after, I broke in a rash all over the trunk of my body. It wasn't bothersome, and I was too occupied dealing with those killer cramps. Later the next week the rash started itching so I called and was told to take Benadryl because I didn't want to have it removed when my body might adjust. The rash only got worse so I ended up having to have it removed. This obviously was not the IUD's fault and I would have loved to keep it in because it contains no hormones. It was quite painful going in, I won't lie. But it's manageable, you might think you're dying but you're not. Be sure to take a few days off work, dope up on Advil or other pain relieving drugs and rest! My heating pad worked wonders."

CashBear April 13, 2016

ParaGard (copper): "Paragard Update: It's been exactly 2 months since I've have my Paragard placed. Pros: don't have to worry about taking a pill daily anymore, no hormonal side effects, & most importantly, no pregnancy :). Cons: I can feel the presence of the IUD during sex every now and then, or randomly if I cough or laugh. My Gyno/other IUD users I know said my body needs more time to adjust, but I hate feeling it. Another con is the heavy bleeding (went from 3-4 days pds. to 1 week pds.), but that should also adjust over time. I can't say I love it yet, but I'm willing to give it more time. No birth control method is perfect, but you have to be willing to give it a shot if the pros outweigh the cons. In my opinion, nothing's worse than that pill!"

Chrissy L. (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 13, 2016

"I'm 25. No children. I'm commenting half an hour after having my first form of BC inserted. I have very high pain tolerance and experience the typical first two days of horror on my cycle, so these cramps aren't foreign to me. Neither is the nausea. I'm cuddling up to heating right this moment and choosing to live in my bathroom until I am ready to migrate to my bed. As for my high pain tolerance and the procedure? Umm, to be honest, it was incredibly painful. However, I knew it would be from reading reviews online about the insertion, if you've never had children. Everything was done relatively quickly but 30 seconds or less felt like the longest of my life. Nonetheless, I believe it will be worth it."

May Moma April 11, 2016

ParaGard (copper): "I had the paragraph inserted 2 years ago. I liked the idea of hormone free birth control. My periods were heavier the first six months but nothing I couldn't handle. After having paragard for two years I developed what I thought were yeast infections. I treated myself wth OTC meds . But it just didn't seem to go away. Went to the doctor and found I have bacterial vaginosis. It is an absolute nightmare! Burning, itching and discomfort in the vagina that makes daily life miserable and sex life non-existent. Luckily I didn't have the horrible fishy smell other women complain of. Dr told me it is a common problem with paragard because it changes the ph balance in the vagina. After one week of antibiotics symptoms still not gone. Removing IUD"

Not worth it (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 11, 2016

"I've had the paragard IUD twice.. First time around I had it in for 5 months and had It removed due to pain after sex every time. I loved it though no hormones regular periods! So I ended up getting it placed again a year later and this time around is amazing! No pains after or during sex I honestly don't even feel it it's almost as if it's none existent! And my periods are heavier first 2 days and crampier again only the first 2 days. So far this has been my fav BCM of all ! Really recommend"

Fab05 April 10, 2016

"I just wanted to share my experience to balance out some of the horror stories out there. A month ago, I had the copper IUD inserted. I've never been pregnant. I'm also in Canada, so I was able to get a prescription for the Flexi-T which is a smaller version made specifically for nulliparous women. Insertion hurt but not as bad as I had prepared myself for. Didn't get any spotting in between insertion (during period) and my first real period. My first period came like clockwork (4 weeks to the day after my last one) and is heavier than usual, but not any more painful. Far better than dying of a blood clot from hormonal BC."

yuslim (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 5, 2016

ParaGard (copper): "I have had the paragard in for 3 weeks now. I got it inserted 8 weeks after my 4th baby & 1st c section. Ive had the mirena and didnt like the mood swings, hormones & crazy periods. Paragard caught my attention when i heard it was a non-hormonal BC. I am breastfeeding but i still had a period for 7 days after the insertion. Since i got it put in ive had mild cramps occasionally and feel slightly bloated but im assuming my uterus is still adjusting. So far i love it! I havent had sex with it in yet so i cant comment on that. The insertion was uncomfortable but not painful. I had 3/4 of my kids natural and no epidural so my pain tolerance is very high. Id still say its not painful though. I say "yaaaay""

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 2, 2016

"It was my only option due to extremely bad side effects with other birth controls especially issues with my Pmdd. My periods before the IUD were heavy 7-8 day flow heaviest days 1-5. Insertion hurt, like the worst rippling cramping you'll ever experience. This last hours after. I never had cramps prior to the IUD. The first period was the worst, thought I was dying. Clots the size of my palm and blood lost profusely. In retrospect I should of went to the hospital. Bleeding heavy lasted longer than 6 months but I stuck it out. cramps every month prior to period and still present a yr in. Clots stopped around month 9.1 yr and a month Ive had it. Cramping still and its sucks but I dont have any other option... so I rough it out every mon"

lochnessmonsterrrrr April 1, 2016

ParaGard (copper): "This is my first time trying birth control. had my IUD placed on the 16th of this month. Insertion was fine; it was quick, and it feels like period cramps when it's being inserted. I felt great the first day, but by the 2nd day, I had TREMENDOUS amounts of pain. I had back pain, abdominal pain, leg pain, and neck pain which I never had before. It got worse as the days passed, and all I could do was lay in bed. I had severe pain which would make me yelp. Intercourse was painful and uncomfortable. I scheduled a follow up appointment because I wasn't able to feel the strings for the past 3-4 days. Appointment was today. Turns out the IUD was partially expelled, but I don't know how long it had been expelled for. I don't recommend this at all."

FoxInABox (taken for less than 1 month) March 31, 2016

"I'm 19 and I've never been pregnant, so wanted to leave a positive review of this, because I was scared to have it put in, but I'm really glad I did! Having it put in is unpleasant, but worth 10 years of hormone-free-babylessness. The rest of that day was pretty crampy, but with mefanamic acid, paracetamol and a hot water bottle, it was fine!! The cramps then went away until just before my period, when I had a few painful days. Once my period started they were much better though, so maybe they weren't period-related, just it "settling in". My period was a bit longer and heavier than usual, but nothing awful. Sex is amazing. I've only had it 3 weeks so I can't say much more, but I'd recommend it so far!"

LibraryGirl March 30, 2016

ParaGard (copper): "I have had the paragard for six years and I don't regret my decision for getting it inserted. I absolutely love it! No hormones..it hasn't caused me any side effects that I'm aware of. It did kind of hurt when it was inserted, and I cramped the day of. I spotted for about two -three days but after that I was fine. I took birth control pills for years and after having the paraguard for six years I will never go back to the pills. I have normal menstrual cycle..it isn't too heavy..and I don't cramp every month; however some months I do. Unfortunately I have heard of women getting pregnant while on the paragard but not everything is 100%. Most of the time..the paragard does prevent pregnancy and I would definitely recommend!"

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 28, 2016

"I had the paragard inserted around May 2015 after I had my first child on March 27th, I was attracted to the thought of it being hormone free and that I would hopefully have far fewer negative side effects that I had had thru years of trying different versions of the pill. Insertion was not bad at all for me, a tiny bit of cramping and then the worst of that was the cramping became a bit more severe when I got home and into the next day. It has stayed in place but that is honestly the only good thing I can say about it. I have never been one to have very heavy/irregular periods or heavy cramping and since I have gotten paragard I have had the most irregular, heavy periods of my life and the cramping has been unbearable at times."

LiamsMomma1 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 27, 2016

ParaGard (copper): "Insertion is painful, but quick. I spotted for two or three days following the procedure and only cramped the day of. I'm breastfeeding so have not yet had a period so I can't comment on whether or not it's heavier than normal yet."

Bgashi (taken for less than 1 month) March 26, 2016

"I was on mirena for 3 1/2 yrs, mirena was ok for me in the beginning, however I started realizing I gained a lot of weight I mean ALOT from 120 to 160lbs, I also had no sex drive at all I literally didn't want anything at all with my husband, to the point that it was more of a duty than a pleasant experience for me. I decided to switch birth controls, I overall didn't mind the iud's , I got the paraguard on 02-29-2016 , I noticed spotting for the first 3 days then I was ok. It stopped. One week no bleeding no cramping nothing I was feeling normal again. I started my period on March 14th and is already March 21st and I am still with my period. I think is normal due to me not having a period for 3 1/2 yrs . sex drive coming back so I'm happy :-)"

kaykay215 March 22, 2016

ParaGard (copper): "I'm on week five with paragard and I understand that it does not contain hormones however I have been gaining weight every week since I've been on it avg one lb week... I have put my self on a all protein diet and work out but the results still remain the same. I read in other threads that some People have also gained weight and feel bloated in the mid section ... And some have expressed that some women might be allergic to copper ... I will have to contact my Doc ... Otherwise the insertion was not too bad the cramping isn't too bad either and having a peace of mind for ten years is a plus!"

Sammiesmom (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 22, 2016

ParaGard (copper): "(Inserted 12/23/15 18 years old) Was Nervous about an IUD but sooo happy I did it! I kept rescheduling my appointments because I was finding so many negative reviews, mainly tons of bleeding. Let me tell you that may be others experience but mine has been quite wonderful. Insertion wasn't nearly bad as I had read, I took 2 Tylenol before procedure. It was in a few short min! Soo so happy with this IUD. Try it! If it doesn't work for you just have it removed."

Jazzy086 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 21, 2016