User Reviews for Copper

Copper review summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 201 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Copper to treat Birth Control

Review by New and ugh:

Just got mine yesterday, and I wasn't prepared for how painful it would be. I got it because I have chronic migraines worsened by hormones, but don't trust condoms alone. I never had kids, and it was so painful I threw up about 4 times over the day. Today was much much better, still some cramping with high activity and I took it easy all day. Guess I will wait for the period to give full judgement.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 10, 2014 11:04 PM

Review by bobble1234 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Insertion? Awful. I haven't had kids, so of course my pain tolerance is going to be low. The pain doesn't last long - basically, if you want a good hormonal birth control just suck it up. For me, the day I got it I had pretty damn bad cramps, but by the next day they were nonexistent. About a week before my period I was getting cramps here and there - nothing Tylenol couldn't take care of. Now I just got my period, and I'm going to be honest it is heavy. I do have some cramps with it, but nothing like I have experienced in the past. I have lost weight since getting off the pill. My mood, it's stable for once! Sex is still great, I feel great, boyfriend loves it too! Especially the no hormone part! I highly recommend it.

October 2, 2014 8:16 AM

Review by Lcc14 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

2 stars because I didn't get pregnant. That said, I had the Paragard for a year and a half. I've never had kids, and insertion was awful, but only lasts for a few minutes. Like many others, I experienced extremely heavy, painful periods that lasted about 7 to 8 days each. The worst part for me, however, was the fact that I got near-constant bacterial vaginitis and yeast infections throughout the entire time I had it in. I can't even imagine how many rounds of Diflucan and antibiotics I had. Once it was removed, the infections went away and I've been problem-free ever since.

September 21, 2014 11:19 AM

Review by LilmamiofMay (taken for less than 1 month):

I've had a child via C-section. So I found out the day of my appointment the doctor is not comfortable placing IUDs in women who haven't given birth. Any how it was resolved & another doctor placed it that day. I took ibuprofen before, I was REALLY scared. I had Mirena before and the doctor had trouble getting it in and I had trouble with the hormones, so this is my only option left. The doctor was great and she finished within 10 minutes, I felt 2 cramps, and I was fine after I left. I rested the rest of that day and I haven't needed any pain medicine since the day I got it placed. I'm just so shocked and I feel like there's nothing in me. I have minimal bleeding to my surprise. Have to get an ultrasound to check it and a check up in a month. So far so good!

July 14, 2014 10:08 AM

Review by AllyTennille:

Hi All! I wanted to share my positive experience with the copper IUD. I got the Paragard inserted about 2 weeks ago & I LOVE IT. It was my best option since I never did well on the pill. I haven't had kids & the insertion, I'm going to be honest, hurt unlike anything I have ever experienced BUT it only lasts a few min & it is NOTHING you can't handle. I got my period on time. It lasted heavily for 3 days/spotted for 4. I had mild cramping the first week after insertion but now I'm back to myself 100% & feel great (no cramps/spotting). Sex & orgasms are still great. Every woman is different so I hope this helps you make your decision that it can be right for you. I gave it a 9 because time will tell if it is still this great in the future.

July 12, 2014 2:43 PM

Review by Lion_Lover (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Let me be honest. The ParaGuard is a great birth control method because you do not need to think about it. I mean sex was fine for me , didn't feel anything but I am a paranoid and anxious person. At first I always went to the doctor thinking it moved or it was not in place. Years later I got use to it. I have now had it in for 5 years. I think it is time to take it out and try to have a baby. I can tell you, if you have a high pain tolerance you are all set, all that will bother you is the heavy periods. I have been in tears for days, tired and just uncomfortable each and every month I get my period. It is sometimes unbearable.

July 8, 2014 8:03 PM

Review by Savy (taken for less than 1 month):

Before I got my Paragard put in (two days ago), I was psyching myself out. I had heard that for women like me who have not had kids, having an IUD put in was super painful and awful. Oh please. Ha. If I said it didn't hurt I would be a big fat liar, but it didn't hurt even half as bad as I was expecting. If you are thinking about going with this, just know that all it feels like is a severe period cramp. Don't let that freak you out, it's uncomfortable, and honestly it is painful, but not anything a woman can't handle. That's coming from someone who has a LOW pain tolerance, and is a total wimp. I am on day three of having it in, and I love it. The day it was put in was the worst, cramps are pretty bad, but it gets easier and easier.

June 13, 2014 3:21 PM

Review by Linds0303:

I am happy overall with the Paragard (copper) IUD. I like that it's hormone free birth control after I had my kids and aged a little, the hormones made my hair fall out. It wasn't pleasant being inserted but it wasn't the worst either. The first month, I spotted regularly but when I got my period, it stopped. It took about 5 months for my body to completely adjust (those first 5mo I was having 10-14 day periods) but it started every 28 days to the hour. Now, my periods last 5-7 days (longer than when I was on hormonal BC) and my cycle is still 28 days. Also, my periods have become slightly heavier but I never have to use anything more than a light flow tampon. Cramping hasn't been an issue.

May 30, 2014 5:24 PM

Review by Laurelin (taken for less than 1 month):

I chose to get the Paragard IUD after being on the pill for the last 20 years. After so long taking hormones, I wanted to be hormone free. I've never had a child, so I was warned that the insertion was going to be very painful. There were only two instances during the process that lasted about 5 seconds each that I experienced sharp pain. I did feel slightly shaky afterwards, so my doctor told me to just relax for 10 minutes, which I did. The cramps I had for the rest of the day were pretty intense, but by the next day they were 90% better and by the day after that they were completely gone. So far, I haven't experienced any other adverse effects, but I suppose I will have to wait until next month to see how my first cycle goes with it.

May 24, 2014 12:54 PM

Review by Jglic (taken for 1 to 6 months):

After reading pros and cons about Paragard vs Mirena I opted to go with Paragard because of the fact that it does not contain any hormones. I was nervous about periods and cramping but I can honestly say that my periods - have had two now - have been just about normal (maybe a bit heavier but nothing like described). I have had some cramping but nothing major. I have not gained weight. If anything I'm not as bloated as I was on birth control pills. I have no mood swings. When on the pill I was extremely irritable. I could feel it but had no control over it. I have nothing like that with Paragard and actually feel normal again. My sex drive has increased. My husband actually said the other day that he would like to do a testimony.

April 22, 2014 6:46 PM

Review by Amy3776 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I had the ParaGard IUD in for 8 yrs. When they first inserted it it hurt so bad and had experienced pain in my lower abdomen for days. I bled heavy for a week and spotted here and there during 2 month stretch. I also menstruated every 2-3 weeks during 2 months also. It got better and my body adjusted. My periods lasted up to 8 days each time for 8years. This past Feb, I had it removed and had the tubal ligation. Now my periods last 5 days. I believe the IUD blocked my menstruation and caused it to come slowly and that's why it lasted longer. IUD was great for me because I didn't have to think about missing a pill, and other conceptions such as Mirena, Nuva ring, Depo shot, and pills are way to hormonal and can cause problems....

April 16, 2014 10:04 AM

Review by Jenn2111:

I've been on Paragard for 2 years and I have to say that it's great. At first it was tough because I have a low pain tolerance and insertion was hard for me. The cramping was extreme but I can honestly say that it was worth it. All I can say for women who are thinking about trying it is that the periods will be longer and a lot heavier than before. Also, The pain of the cramping will be a little more intense for 6 months afterwards. Stock up on Extra Strength Ibruphen and you'll be fine. The peace of mind is worth the cramping.

April 8, 2014 10:50 AM

Review by GeorgiaMom12345123:

My experience with Paragard is short, and anything but sweet. I had it put in on Wednesday, I'm having it removed Monday. Having it put in was painful, the cramps following insertion have been awful, and the dizziness is insane. I know this is gross, but the bleeding and the discharge that's reminiscent of passing a mucous plug during pregnancy is horrible. I have had Mirena and everything was ok with it, but I'm just not going to put myself through this unnecessary pain and misery... that's my experience and my opinion.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 2, 2014 9:51 PM

Review by Anon19648000 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I have had a Paragard IUD for 3 years and have had constant BV and odor. I have been treated several times with oral antibiotics and gels. I have bad cramps during my cycle and heavy periods. I also have cramping and bleeding between periods and feel bloated most of the time. I am getting it removed this week.

October 28, 2013 3:32 PM

Review by I can rely on my Paragard:

When I took the pill, I had a hard time remembering to take it everyday at the same time. With Paragard I don't even have to worry about it. I also love that it is good for 10 years and it is hormone free. It was uncomfortable to have it inserted but that only lasts for a second. I do get cramps before, during, and after my period but I know that is not the case for everybody. For me, the peace of mind is worth the trade off for the cramps. Overall I would recommend this to anyone who has already had a child and needs a reliable form of birth control.

October 28, 2013 11:31 AM

Review by MerryHappy:

I did not get pregnant. But I can no longer work out, as even simple mat work gives me horrible cramps. I also have 2 week periods now, and bleed the week I ovulate. My NP says everything looks fine, no infections or problems, but I'm getting it removed. It's been 6 months and hasn't gotten any better. My periods have only gotten longer.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 17, 2013 3:54 PM

I've had my Paragard for over a year. I chose Paragard because I can't use hormonal birth control. I've never had children or been pregnant. The insertion was painful, but not that bad. I'd rank it as a 5/10 on the pain scale. The cramps following insertion were awful, I'd rank them as a 7/10. Those lasted about 24 hours. The entire first month I had almost constant cramps. Over the counter pain killers wouldn't even TOUCH the pain. The first period after insertion was really hard. The cramps were so bad. After the first period ended things were almost normal. I still get much more painful crampy periods, but that is diminishing. My cervix is still sensitive and can hurt during sex. Discharge during ovulation is normal. Increased sex drive.

June 18, 2012 7:02 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

I was very scared to get this inserted but knew this was my only option because it had no hormones in it. My doctor was very patient and didn't rush anything, she got it in and I didn't feel any pain or discomfort during the process. After it was complete I did have some cramping in my abdomen and got the dizzy spells. Ibuprofen took care of the cramping and as for the dizzy spells, that lasted about 4-5 hours. The next day I has some mild cramping again but the ibuprofen took care of that again, and I didn't get dizzy. I am going on my 2nd week and the only thing that I have experienced is spotting and some gooey discharge every now and then (I don't know if this is normal, but I got to check into this). Other than this I am satisfied so far.

May 21, 2012 4:25 PM

Getting Paragard inserted was uncomforable. It did not cause me to have heavier periods or make my cramps worse. When me and my husband decided to try for a baby it took us 4 months. I will be getting it again after the birth of our daughter.

March 31, 2012 8:29 PM

Paragard caused a little discomfort when it was first put in, but about 2 days after it was put in I was back to doing the normal things I do. I like it because I can still have my period which is like taking a pregnancy test monthly! I also have the option to take it out whenever I want and try to get pregnant, which is good being a military wife.

November 17, 2011 10:31 AM