User Reviews for Copper

Also known as: ParaGard

Copper Review Summary

8.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 212 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Copper to treat Birth Control

"It's been about a month since I had my Paragard inserted and so far, so good! The insertion pain was not as bad as other reviews made it sound. I do suggest taking pain relief before hand. The pain felt like an intense cramp for a few minutes and then some random cramps throughout the day. Unfortunately, the woman who inserted it did not tell me how to feel for the strings or make a follow-up appointment with me to check for them. Cramps were on and off the few following days after that. Nothing a little pain medications couldn't fix. It did, however, start my period early. Do expect some spotting for about 6 weeks. Sex will be a little painful and gross for a while, but it was nice to not worry or have to take the pill. It will be different with everyone."

KSny (taken for less than 1 month) July 26, 2015

"I'm 23 with one child and decided to get the paragard and actually got it inserted yesterday (almost 3yrs pp) I read tons of reviews and was super scared but I knew everyone was different so I just had to see for myself. The worst part was the inserting but it didn't hurt it was just uncomfortable for about 2 minutes. I had one minor cramp that went away right after insertion. I was on day 2 of my period which possibly made it easier. I took an 800 ibuprofen an hr before and walked out fine. So far so good. Bleeding hasn't increased and cramps are none existent. Now on day 3 of my period and day 1 after insertion I have no complaints. Hopefully it continues."

ElijahMae (taken for less than 1 month) July 25, 2015

ParaGard (copper): "I am 23 and have had Paragard in for 6 months. I got it because I was going to be working abroad without access to daily BC options. The insertion was almost painless, just a pinch feeling. About an hour after I began to feel cramps and some pain. The next day it was mild and then gone by night time. My first period was way heavier than I was used to! I also had terrible cramps and pains. I wanted to get Paragard removed but I couldn't since I was abroad. The next few periods were also painfully crampy with heavy bleeding but I noticed the pain decreased with each period. Now I have had seven periods and it is back to normal with just very minor cramps. The bleeding is not as heavy either. I am happy I never had it removed!"

Playsoccer (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 23, 2015

ParaGard (copper): "Only rated a 9 because i haven't had it in for long! I got the paragard yesterday, and it was not nearly as bad as i thought it was going to be! don't be scared out of getting it from the bad reviews! it hurt getting inserted and when my cervix was clamped open, but the pain only lasted about 5 seconds and it was only a little bit worse than a regular period cramp. definitely take some advil before you go in to the doctor to get it. Day two, i haven't taken any pain killers and the pain isn't worse than a regular period. i didn't experience any cramping or lightheadedness immediately after insertion. I had bad mood swings and depression/anxiety from hormonal birth control so this is a great non-hormonal option for me! & it lasts for10years!"

Carla CW (taken for less than 1 month) July 22, 2015

ParaGard (copper): "I am 20 years old, never been pregnant and got the Paragard last year. Insertion was painful but bearable and I was sore for a day or two after. I love how low-maintenance it is and that it lasts so long and doesn't use hormones but ever since I've gotten it inserted, my periods have been longer, heavier, and crampier. Doctor said that for some people, it may go back to normal after about 4-6 months but my periods have remained pretty annoying. I love IUDs but not so much the Paragard. Thinking about switching to Skyla."

crampyvag July 21, 2015

ParaGard (copper): "I've had paraguard for 1 yr. Insertion was nearly painless-no worse than a papsmear to me, esp. compared to the horrible experience I expected after reading negative reviews online (I might have lucked out with a tactile & tactful doctor, but I suggest you have your own experience).IUD hasn't had one noticeable effect on my mood, appetite, or energy. I'm against hormones, so I think some of my positive attitude is due to placebo b/c I want it to work. HOWEVER, even at 1 yr, periods aren't cyclical, sometimes 2x/mo, intermittent spotting, dry blood residues, so I avoid sex sometimes b/c it's embarrassing.This is ironic b/c birth control should enable me to have sex more!Also, the cramps are more painful than any pain I have ever experienced."

FortuneCookie July 21, 2015

ParaGard (copper): "1st off: this is my 4th time with an IUD. The 1st Paraguard I got while lactating and not having periods...clinician couldn't get IUD in and 2nd time trying she forced it in. Perforated my uterus..had to have 2 surgeries to have it removed. Then years later had Paraguard again..this time they did a paracervical block and the insertion was painless. My periods were so heavy though and without realizing it I think I became severely anemic. I had it removed and within 2 weeks started to feel alive and normal again. That is when I realized I must have been anemic. Years later I had Mirena put in due to my long spotting periods. Couldn't tolerate the hormones. Have another Paraguay now for 2 years and I am exhausted all the time."

Sameasalways (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 18, 2015

ParaGard (copper): "I'm 32 and I've had the Paragrad for 6 years now. I got it after having my daughter at 26. It was recommended to me due to blood clotting issues and hormones. I went in to see my GYN and it took about 5 minutes. It was inserted 6 weeks after having my baby. It didn't hurt just felt like a pinch. It works GREAT! My husband and I love it! The heavy periods & spotting occasionally is worth it. Recently, I have experienced some back pains but it goes away and it doesn't happen often. I totally recommend it. #ThumsUp"

Mrs Moore (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 16, 2015

"I chose to have the copper IUD because the pill made me very down and intense & my partner and I aren't too keen on condoms. Having not had kids, I found the insertion quite painful & It did hurt more than expected, a tiny swear word may have slipped out, but it was really over quite quickly. Cramps lasted a few days,but I timed it so I would get my period the day after insertion, so it was a mix of the two I suppose. My partner admitted he could feel the strings sometimes during "deep sex" but it wasn't enough to put him of. Unfortunately, my IUD partially came out, and it was removed today. Unlikely to happen, but it did. I'm pretty bummed because it was the best, easiest, no side effects at all BC Ive used. RIP old friend."

Jesscopper experience July 16, 2015

"I'm 21 and have never had child, and had my insertion a week ago. Reading all of these reviews made me expect terrible pain. My gyno prescribed me 600 mg of Cytotec to take 4 hours before my appointment to soften the cervix. I also took 800 mg of ibuprofen an hour before my appointment. The pain of the initial measuring of the cervix/uterus was like a mild period cramp, and then soon the iud insertion followed was still like a mild cramp. It all lasted 3 minutes and was definitely not that bad! I was dizzy that day, and so far I've had minimal spotting for a week, and light cramps every once in a while. I had sex 5 days in and I didn't feel a thing either. Overall, a great birth control decision! Do not scare yourself reading reviews!"

JoannaSs July 15, 2015

"I got the IUD inserted today. No prior children. I did my research on possible complications and pain level during placement, and decided it was the best option for me. A five minute procedure ended up taking up close to an hour, due to a very small cervical opening. Because of this, it was incredibly painful. They had to dilate my cervix. Beyond that, I will not go into details, because it will only scare people away, and I really have zero discomfort now. There is some very light spotting, and barely noticeable cramping. I also feel slightly dizzy, due to the small amount of epidural they had to inject into my cervix. I don't usually take any kind of medicine, so this is to be expected."

elibeanie July 14, 2015

"I had my paragaurd inserted about 3 weeks ago. I was 6 weeks postpartum. Insertion wasn't as bad as I thought but when you go through labor pains and a c section you can concour the world. Only con about it are checking for the strings all the time I'm so paranoid about it slipping out. No cramping but I do get dizzy sometimes, that can be the iuf bringing my iron lower then it already is."

Amberlynk (taken for less than 1 month) July 12, 2015

"I had Paragard inserted 3 months ago. 34 and never had children. I did a lot of research and looked up reviews online to fully know what to expect. As far as insertion, pretty on point. The major cramp started and lasted about 5 minutes. I had someone take me and drive me home. So glad I did. The cramping got worse but stopped after a short nap and I felt mild cramping throughout the rest of my cycle. My periods have been a bit irregular and have had spotting almost daily since my insertion, but I read that it is expected. My flow seems normal so far. So far I have no pain not discomfort just the light spotting and irregular periods. All seems to be good so far. I will update in a few months!"

RADWarrior July 10, 2015

"I just got my Copper IUD inserted today, and got the Nexplanon removed. The horror stories of insertions are a little ridiculous. I understand everyone has different pain tolerances but there are A LOT worse things that you can go through. I have had 2 kids and thought that the insertion process was no worse than bad cramping. My midwife used the speculum, cleaned off my vagina and cervix with iodine I think it was, measured my uterus, then clamped my cervix(which was uncomfortable but not unbearable), inserted the probe that the IUD was in, and then released the IUD arms and took out the probe and speculum. It was maybe 5 minutes. I highly recommend it!!"

WallaceH (taken for less than 1 month) July 8, 2015

"My IUD was inserted two years ago and it's AMAZING. Between the age of 16-18 I've gotten pregnant three times. I'm very fertile. After I had my daughter I decided to get this Birth Control. When the Dr. Inserted it, I didn't have much pain. The procedure was quick and easy. I had some spotting. My period is the same as it's always been. Since my IUD was inserted I haven't gotten pregnant. My boyfriend and I always have unprotected and I haven't gotten pregnant yet. I love this Birth Control because once its in you don't have to worry about it. You do a weekely inspection to feel for the strings and make sure it's in place, and that's it. I recommend the Paragrad IUD every time the 'Birth Control' conversation comes up. I Love it."

E ❤ July 8, 2015

ParaGard (copper): "I am 34 years old and I have had two children previously. I was so nervous yesterday when I went in to have my Paragard inserted. I had read so many online reviews and I was terrified. My doctor mixed up my appointment and my consultation actually became the day of insert. I was nervous because I was not on my period and I had not taken any medicine for pain. As my doctor started, I was breathing very heavily to try to relax. Once she started, she asked me was I okay and by the time I knew it, it was over. I had one cramp and one small pinch and that was it. It was not that bad for me. I had immediate bleeding and I am having a little spotting today but nothing I can't handle. I just got it so I give it a 9."

SweetGeorgia2015 July 8, 2015

ParaGard (copper): "I'm 23 and have never had children. I got my Paraguard IUD a year ago. The insertion hurt a lot less than I thought it was going to and was more uncomfortable than anything. I had mild cramping and spotting for about a week after and no cramping since. My periods have been more irregular and heavier with the Paraguard than previously, but overall I'm very happy with it."

Cali2 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 7, 2015

"Got my inserted bout 10 years ago !! Worked magic for me! No problems no pain period flow normally . And yes I will leave it there for another 3-4 more years. Totalling 13-14 years."

Amiicakes July 2, 2015

ParaGard (copper): "I had Paragard inserted 3 days ago. I am going on 25 years of age & never had children. I was very nervousness before getting the inserstion because I kept reading reveiws online over & over again. My experiemce went better than I expected because 1.) I went during my period, 2.) I took 3 ibuprofen ms (200 mg each) an hour before my appointment & 3.) I took .10 mg (2 pills) of the generic form of Xanax, also an hour before the appointment. It's just an intense cramping feeling, & I goes by quick, like 5 minutes. In my case the doctor attempted to insert it twice because the first time, my uterus contracted. Still Cramping off/on but it's okay. It should setting after 2 weeks so at least use back up until your follow up visit!"

Cag0811 July 1, 2015

ParaGard (copper): "21, no kids, had Paragard inserted yesterday. I read hundreds of reviews beforehand that led me to believe I'd be writhing in pain the whole time. Yes, it hurt, but only for 20 seconds total out of a 5 minute ordeal. I think for me at least, a lot of what I was registering as pain was more shock at such a completely foreign sensation. I immediately had what felt like my usual, period cramps but a bit worse, but those went away after 5ish hrs. Now, less than 24 hrs after insertion, I feel FINE. Every so often I'll get a dull cramp but that's IT. Here's hoping it continues to be a positive experience (for the next TEN years!!!?!)"

Frederikke July 1, 2015

ParaGard (copper): "I got the Paragard inserted 2 weeks ago. I was interested in a non-hormonal approach as both my mom and aunt have had breast cancer. I got it inserted while on my period. I took 2 tylenol before hand. The process was fairly short but I was nervous. It definitely hurt a bit, felt like a long lasting cramp and I was told my cervix is very tight. I'm 24- no kids and have not used any method of birth control before. The procedure ended and I felt a bit out of it for the rest of the day. For the next 3 days I has cramps and my period continued longer than usual--- I took tylenol to help relieve the pain. I was really worried that I would feel the IUD at all times and then want to rip it out-- but I don't feel it at all. So far so good...."

kristina24 June 29, 2015

"I got my Paragard inserted about 2.5 months ago and I love it! I started off trying different birth control pills for almost a year and hating every minute of it. My body reacts terribly to hormones, so one pill would make me break out really bad and the next would make me depressed with low libido... I wasn't willing to settle on one because each had a side effect that effected my daily life. The thing about Paragard that attracted me was that it's non-hormonal. Not gonna lie, insertion really HURT, but it was SO worth it! My periods are heavy with bad cramping sometimes, but that's the only side effect. I feel great now that I'm not pumping fake hormones into my body. PLUS it was free with my insurance! I love it."

Kathleen D June 29, 2015

"Slight discomfort with insertion and heavy long periods. I enjoyed not worrying about birth control for 2 years. But I had constant vaginal things going on like discharge , some smells, yeast. I did every thing possible to clear it up. My doc had given me so many antibiotics I just got tired. So I had it removed. So my next option something more permanent. Good luck ladies."

2 years with iud - removed (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 28, 2015

ParaGard (copper): "I just got paragard not too long ago. And it was actually not as bad as I thought it would be. There was not excruciating pain at all. Just cramping. Anyone wanting to get it should most definitely do so. It's not as bad as some may say, but everyone reacts to things differently."

Melissa C. (taken for less than 1 month) June 24, 2015

ParaGard (copper): "I LOVE my Paragard. It's the only form of birth control I've ever tried, and the only one I would ever consider. Make sure you have a Dr that is familiar with inserting this particular type of IUD. The first OBGYN clearly didn't have a clue what she was doing. It was the most painful experience of my life and I ended up having to get it taken out a month later. The second Dr took five minutes to get it in, and I felt no discomfort whatsoever. Yes, for the first six months my period was a lot heaver and unpredictible, but it's gone back to normal. No hormones for 10 years.... why not?? again... NO HORMONES."

RambleLuster June 24, 2015