User Reviews for Copper

Also known as: ParaGard

Copper Review Summary

8.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 208 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Copper to treat Birth Control

ParaGard (copper): "So I just got my IUD inserted a few hours ago. I'm 17 with no children. So about a week after consultation, the day arrived. I took naproxen about 8 hrs ahead of time and even took some before I went in so the cramps wouldn't hit me immediately afterwards. So the procedure itself wasn't terrible. I've had period cramps worse than that. The worst part were the clamps that opened my cervix, but I was fine. I was just finishing my period so I recommend getting this procedure done when you're either on your period or just after it. Honestly, it wasn't terrible. I've taken more naproxen and am chilling with a heating pad. There is a bit of spotting but nothing to bad. I'll update when I get my period."

Kay's gonna fly May 26, 2015

ParaGard (copper): "Paragard works as a birth control method. I used it for a year and 2 months. I was on my period for tat entire year and 2 months. Heavier periods are effective enough as birth control"

Melibax (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 24, 2015

ParaGard (copper): "Hey there, I wrote a post just a few days in but now I'm updating. Its been 2 months. Honestly, the first month/2 months I had random terrible cramps that would last approximately 2 minutes (more like contractions than menstrual ) they'd come out of no where and happen daily. I'd sweat and grip my fists. Also I was bloated and just mildly cramp (like the day before your period) the whole time. Not attractive. Anyways, funny enough after a few days spotting this week my actual period has started and is 100% PAINLESS. I'm serious. Crazy. No bloating or pain. If you can get past the first uncomfortable month or two, things will be great. Btw no pregnancy or uncomfortable sex for either partner. I don't feel it, he doesn't either."

CrazyCatLady200 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 24, 2015

ParaGard (copper): "My experience with Paragard was horrible I had heavy periods, outrageous cramps, acne, mental issues due to the implant because now that I've had it removed I feel excellent. When I had it removed there was rust on the copper. I do not suggest anyone has Paragard implants ever. It was the biggest mistake that I ever made having the implant put inside of me and I am so grateful that I finally had it removed."

candy i May 23, 2015

ParaGard (copper): "As an aspiring nurse I did my research on every type of birth control and chose paraguard based on the longevity of protection and the lack of hormones which are more natural to the body's environment. The procedure was simple: lay back, take deep breaths through the cramping, and you're done. Hardest part for me was that my cervix had to be dilated because I am 23, no kids, and didn't have the misoprostol to soften in which some providers use. It was painful but no more than a typical period. I forgot to premedicate, but naproxen is a miracle drug for me! My drive home I was worried because I felt extremely nauseous and faint feeling. Took naproxen when I got home and feel great. Some spotting, but no babies for 10 years! Good luck!"

Career goals May 21, 2015

"I didn't rate this as a 10 or higher because I just got it put in about 3 hours ago. I had the Mirena for about 6 weeks but I wanted to change it to the non-hormonal paraguard plus it's effective for 10 years! I have 2 kids my youngest being 4 months I wanted the IUD because I do not want anymore kids. The procedure was painless for me except for a sting/pinch, maybe for me it was painless because of previous births and I also was spotting which the doctor said would make it easier. I had minor cramping for about an hour afterwards I will write again in a month or so to say how it's been. Hopefully it will be good :)"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 21, 2015

"I just had my Paragard inserted about two hours ago, so I can only share my experience with the procedure itself. I read all the horror stories but understood that that was something that I should take with a grain of salt. After all, everyone's body is different and negative stories are more often shared online than the positive ones. The procedure itself only took a few minutes. The most uncomfortable part was the sounding, or measuring of my uterus. My midwife had me cough and as I did, she inserted the measuring tool. That felt like a strong cramp and it made me tense up a bit. The Paragard itself did not hurt when she inserted it. I'm experiencing some mild cramping and light spotting, but nothing that a little Motrin can't fix."

ctib May 20, 2015

ParaGard (copper): "I'm in my mid 40's and never had kids. I've used the pill and condoms for years. I wish someone had advised me to take pain killers before getting the IUD put in. My GYN said it would hurt me more since she had to dilate my cervix. It was very painful, but the whole thing took 5-10 minutes. I felt dizzy afterwards and was cramping and spotting for 2 days. My 1st period was longer, much heavier and the cramps were absolute torture. Now in my 3rd month, it's shorter and less painful. For those who aren't sure, I'd say it's worth getting the IUD if you know what to expect and are willing to deal with it."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 19, 2015

"I just finished having the copper IUD inserted. I'm am 21 and have never given birth. I too read the horror stories online and almost didn't go through with it. They gave me a prescription for a low dosage of Xanax to take an hour before and 1000mg of ibuprofen. It was painful and did make me kind of groan out in pain. It lasted maybe one minute from start to finish. It was a tolerable pain and just felt different than anything I've ever experienced. Two hours afterward I still feel ok, slight cramps here and there but nothing like my cramps I normally get while on my period. I'm pretty happy with it."

Kelsaria May 19, 2015

ParaGard (copper): "Have for 7 yrs now. No issues. Best decision since my husband did not want to get himself fixed."

hddm May 18, 2015

ParaGard (copper): "I did a lot of research on ParaGard prior to the procedure like everyone else just so that I am well informed of the pros and cons. For someone with high pain tolerance, I decided not to take a pain pill before the procedure 2 days ago which in hindsight, was unwise. The pain was worse than I thought especially when my OBGYN had to dilate my cervix a bit since I haven't had kids. She warned me that the IUD might not be the best option as my cervix may be too small for the device. However, it was just fine. The pain only lasted for a few minutes until the IUD was inserted. I'm experiencing more cramps (have subsided) and heavier flow 2 days in but hopefully that will improve soon."

MaryJaneCO May 14, 2015

ParaGard (copper): "Before I went in to get my IUD, I decided to look online and read what some women experienced while they went in to get their IUD. Upon reading the reviews and experiences, I have to admit that I was reluctant and nervous to go on with the idea of using Paragard as birth control. I read internet horror stories, how painful the procedure was going to be, how some women had their IUD misplaced & surgically removed. I was freaked out by the idea, but proceeded to the doctor to have my insertion. Honestly, it was not as bad as I had believed. Don't freak yourselves out, ladies! Eat breakfast/lunch, take 800mg of Ibuprofen before your appointment and remember to breathe during the insertion. It should be quick and easy, make sure to rest after."

Leslie D May 14, 2015

ParaGard (copper): "I'm 19 and have been with my boyfriend since I was 15. I have no kids and the pill I started to forget and the hormones just are out of control. I've had this in for 3 weeks now. The worse part for me was putting it in. I felt a lot of pressure and discomfort. I had cramping after and all the next day. I bleed for 10 days then it stopped. I just took pain meds before and after. I would recommend it. On another note if your man is a big he can feel it a little bit inside of you, but doesn't hurt him just a different feeling. And wait like 2 weeks to have sex"

teenager 19 May 14, 2015

"So I got my 10 year copper iud (I am 20 and I have never given birth ) She checked my womb and said everything seemed normal. Another nurse was on standby holding my hand. The nurse opened my cervix slightly then implanted the coil which I felt an uncomfortable pinching pain for about 40 seconds & I concentrated on breathing techniques and had a stress ball which helped! after 5 mins it was done & I was so shaky due to adrenaline but I walked it off & bought a hot chocolate! Then an hour after I got the dull period pain ache but it's not too bad! I would recommend not reading horror stories and scaring yourself (like i did.)! these are trained professionals so they know what they are doing and you need to help them by relaxing! Good Luck!"

S Girl May 14, 2015

"It turned out to be painless, besides some moment of pressure and cramping. I'll walk you through my procedure. The nurse practitioner puts a device inside of my vajay-jay to open it so she could place the device. Then she had to put another device in place to hold my cervix in the proper position, this is the only part that hurt, more than likely because I jumped, she had to take it out because she couldn't place it while I was moving. The 2nd time she place it I only felt pressure. After that she put another device inside of me to measure my cervix. Then the insertion of the device which I didn't even feel :))"

Flower Child May 10, 2015

"I had my IUD inserted 3 days ago after having a hormone implant removed from my arm. The hormonal side affects of the implant were really bad so I was desperate for a non hormone alternative. For me the pain during procedure was quite intense, but short lived. Take some pain relief before hand if you're worried and after as the cramping can be pretty bad. It sounds funny but after 20 years of hormone contraception (pill, then 2 babies, then implant) I feel free. Im looking forward to a normal sex drive, and I know I might get heavier periods but I prefer that to pumping my body with hormone. So far so good."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 9, 2015

ParaGard (copper): "My experience was SO much better than I had initially anticipated. I'm 23 with no kids and I had 0 problems with the ParaGard procedure. I just got it put in a couple hours ago so I can't give any info on the long term side effects. The procedure took about 5 minutes. She first put the opening clamp on me - not painful, then she measured me (which was my most uncomfortable moment, but still not even bad) she asked me to cough when she did that (I felt like a boy lol) then only 5 seconds later she inserted the small copper-plastic T. She then immediately took the clamp off. I wasn't nauseous or anything, just glad it was over and was very painless! Felt like a period cramp mixed with having to pee. Hope this helps you as it helped me :)"

Scaredy cat 5-9-2015 (taken for less than 1 month) May 9, 2015

"I had the coil fitted three days ago. I found the actual insertion of the coil painful enough and needed to focus on my breathing to manage it - however, it wasn't unbearable and it only lasted a couple of minutes (I'd forgotten to take ibuprofen beforehand which the doctor had previously advised me to do). The pain subsided very quickly and I only had period like cramping for the rest of the day. Apart from some light spotting which is normal, I feel completely back to normal now and I'm thrilled that I've had it fitted. I just feel like the two to three minutes of pain is completely worth it for the benefits of having a non hormonal for of contraception that will last for 10 years."

Shelly7 (taken for less than 1 month) May 9, 2015

ParaGard (copper): "I wanted to leave a review because I feel that naturally people with bad experiences are more likely to post than people who had positive experiences. For me, the copper IUD has been the best form of birth control I've used. Insertion was extremely painful, but the potential to have 10 years of hormone-free birth control is worth it. The 1st month there was a lot of light bleeding and occasional cramping while the IUD "settled" in. The cramping at the start of my 1st period was hell, 2nd period less so, and now 3rd period almost pre-insertion levels. Periods are heavier and longer, but I am so relieved to 1) Have a sex drive (bad experiences with hormones) and 2) 10 years of no pills in my future! I don't notice my IUD anymore 3 months in."

SealPointTortie (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 8, 2015

"I am 22 years old and have been on the Paragaurd for 4 months now and have not had a baby yet. When getting the paragaurd put in I was very nervous. It only hurt when they actually inserted it and it was only for a few seconds. I was really crampy that night and a little bit that day. My first couple periods were so heavy I was using a super plus tampon with a pad on every 3 hours for the first day in a half. I still have to use the Super Plus tampon but not every 3 hours its about every 5 hours now and its not so bad. The only thing I hate about the paragaurd is I will have really bad discharge a couple weeks before I get my period. The last two periods I've had really bad discharge for a week after my period which is so annoying!"

Anonymous May 7, 2015

"So I got the Paragard inserted today at first I didn't think to have someone come with me but after reading all of the reviews, I quickly changed my mind. So as a result I brought my mother along with me and I'm grateful that I did, the actual insertion it self wasn't bad but the thing that pushes the cervix is breathtakingly pain/uncomfortable and that's coming from someone who has a very high pain tolerance. After the insertion I had really really bad cramps,I was told that I was in so much pain because I've never had a child. So beware, if you never gave birth, it will be pretty painful. I couldn't drive home due to the nausea and vomited a couple of times during the car ride. After the cramping levelled out,everything seems to be good."

VintagePin_UpVixen May 6, 2015

"I have had the Paragaurd copper IUD for a few months now and I love it. It's great for teens considering I'm almost 16 and have had no complications. The insertion was NOT fun, but it only took about 5 minutes and my periods have stayed the same except for a little bit worse cramps. But overall I love it and think it a great option for birth control. And plus it's non hormonal so that means no wait gain and you don't have to worry about it for 10 years (except the monthly string check). :)"

Mads999 May 6, 2015

ParaGard (copper): "I have had the ParaGard in for 3 years now. I had it put in at 21, no kids. The insertion was not that bad, I went back to work afterwards and was fine. Some cramping, but it was manageable. My first 4-6 months with ParaGard were a nightmare. I had previously been on a 365 Day Cycle birth control pill, so my body was used to having a TON of artificial hormones pumped into it 24-7... To go from that to zero hormones took a toll on me. I had severe anxiety, managed by anti-depressants. Once I got through the first 6 months, my body finally regulated. I no longer had to take anti-depressants. My weight actually leveled out nicely. I get awful cramps about every other month, but I still think it's worth it. I love my ParaGard now!"

Aholm (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 6, 2015

"This has been the most painful 2 years of my life. Every month, a week before my period, I get debilitating pain that will limit my ability to walk. I bleed for 8 days, terrible cramping and bloating, I I need to change a super tampon every other hours on the worst day, it is awful. I was told it would get better, have been to my OB at least 5 times about it in the last 2 years and I just can't anymore. If you like pain and torture- get this. I mean, I haven't gotten pregnant so it works, but I would rather a baby than this."

SofiaMomof2 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 2, 2015

ParaGard (copper): "I've never had kids but after bad side affect after 5 yr pill usage I wanted hormone free. First MD said no. Then went to Planned Parenthood (they tell insurance ) and they were very accomodating. They informed me fully first . Get in stirrups, they clean cervix with wipes (painless ) then they stick something to open cervix. Not painless but bearable. Isolated pain like one bad menstrual cramp kinda takes breath away, but more of a physical reaction as opposed to bc of pain. She stuck the IUD in, I felt lightheaded and nauseated so she put my feet up and gave me a cool rag. After 5 minutes I left. Just did it today and having period like cramping but I'll be ok. Just laying down. So far so good."

CrazyCatLady200 April 30, 2015