User Reviews for Copper

Also known as: ParaGard

Copper Review Summary

8.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 213 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Copper to treat Birth Control

ParaGard (copper): "I got the Paragard inserted 2 weeks ago. I was interested in a non-hormonal approach as both my mom and aunt have had breast cancer. I got it inserted while on my period. I took 2 tylenol before hand. The process was fairly short but I was nervous. It definitely hurt a bit, felt like a long lasting cramp and I was told my cervix is very tight. I'm 24- no kids and have not used any method of birth control before. The procedure ended and I felt a bit out of it for the rest of the day. For the next 3 days I has cramps and my period continued longer than usual--- I took tylenol to help relieve the pain. I was really worried that I would feel the IUD at all times and then want to rip it out-- but I don't feel it at all. So far so good...."

kristina24 June 29, 2015

"I got my Paragard inserted about 2.5 months ago and I love it! I started off trying different birth control pills for almost a year and hating every minute of it. My body reacts terribly to hormones, so one pill would make me break out really bad and the next would make me depressed with low libido... I wasn't willing to settle on one because each had a side effect that effected my daily life. The thing about Paragard that attracted me was that it's non-hormonal. Not gonna lie, insertion really HURT, but it was SO worth it! My periods are heavy with bad cramping sometimes, but that's the only side effect. I feel great now that I'm not pumping fake hormones into my body. PLUS it was free with my insurance! I love it."

Kathleen D June 29, 2015

"Slight discomfort with insertion and heavy long periods. I enjoyed not worrying about birth control for 2 years. But I had constant vaginal things going on like discharge , some smells, yeast. I did every thing possible to clear it up. My doc had given me so many antibiotics I just got tired. So I had it removed. So my next option something more permanent. Good luck ladies."

2 years with iud - removed (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 28, 2015

ParaGard (copper): "I just got paragard not too long ago. And it was actually not as bad as I thought it would be. There was not excruciating pain at all. Just cramping. Anyone wanting to get it should most definitely do so. It's not as bad as some may say, but everyone reacts to things differently."

Melissa C. (taken for less than 1 month) June 24, 2015

ParaGard (copper): "I LOVE my Paragard. It's the only form of birth control I've ever tried, and the only one I would ever consider. Make sure you have a Dr that is familiar with inserting this particular type of IUD. The first OBGYN clearly didn't have a clue what she was doing. It was the most painful experience of my life and I ended up having to get it taken out a month later. The second Dr took five minutes to get it in, and I felt no discomfort whatsoever. Yes, for the first six months my period was a lot heaver and unpredictible, but it's gone back to normal. No hormones for 10 years.... why not?? again... NO HORMONES."

RambleLuster June 24, 2015

ParaGard (copper): "I am 20 years old & have never had kids. I've had paragard for 6 months now. Insertion was awful, despite the fact that I took 800mg of ibuprofen before. Worse than the insertion, was the excruciating pain I felt for the next 4 days. I also had continuous spotting for about a week. Up until my first period after insertion, I would randomly get cramps. When I got my period I did have cramps, but nothing unbearable like before, although it was super heavy & lasted much much longer (about 6 days total). Now, on month 6, I no longer get random cramps. My periods are still much heavier & longer than before, but they're almost painless. Sex with my bf is great & I haven't gotten pregnant lol so I def say all the earlier pain was worth it."

NoBabiesPleeease (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 24, 2015

"I have given a 5 to be netrual i gor my iud inserted today after reading reviews on herei took two cocodmol and two ibuprofen abiut 10 mins before going in, maybe not long enough to kick in i was pretty nervous the doctor asked the usual questions to update my file i then lay on the bed and she done a check. Then used a clamp which was uncomfortable she then jaged me with LA this did give me cramp on my lower abdomen she then inserted a long white tube which again was uncomfortable and caused some cramp it wasn't sore though. However 20 mins after inserestion i did start getting bleeding and cramping about and hour or so later this settled down and i was aware of the bleeding still but the cramping wasn't to bad and came and went."

Fiatbaby June 22, 2015

"Most people will only write about their experience if they had a bad one. So I figured I would lighten the mood and say that the para guard I had put in 7 months ago was a very good decision! Yes, it was very painful putting it in and had several days of severe cramping. But, it was well worth it to have non hormonal, non daily, non monthly birth control. I still get monthly periods, the first few months I had extremely painful cramping but with some ibuprofen it took the edge off. Feel fortunate if your doctor gave you pain medication before insertion, my doctor told me it wouldn't even hurt. Warning, if you haven't had kids, insertion is freaking painful!"

Megalegz (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 22, 2015

"I got my paragard about 3 days ago. The procedure itself was by far the most pain I have ever felt in my life, I did take some pain reliever before hand and right after I left the office and had almost no relief, for the first night the pain was so bad it was waking me out of my sleep. For the past 2 days I have had cramping that comes and goes all day long and still having some spotting here and there, I am hoping this cramping stops soon as they are more intense then what I am used to with my period."

Torinicholetis June 21, 2015

"I had the IUD inserted two days ago. Now it did hurt getting put it but it lasted 5 mins so no biggy. Been having cramps but I think this is normal feeling like before I was on hbc. Plus I am on my period anyways which is very important as it will be less painful if you are on your period when they do this. I'm going to be going back after my next period so they can make sure that it's still in place because they say if it's going to be expelled that it's going to happen then and after the first period it hardly ever happens after that. So I will update after that and let ya'll know how I am doing then."

Sweetgemina June 20, 2015

"I had the paragard for about four months. The implantation procedure went well and painless (I have four kids) and the first month went by without incident. By the second month I started having unexplained nausea and dizziness, but thought nothing of it. Figured it was dehydration or poor eating habits. By the end of the second month I started getting heavy periods every two weeks and the nausea/dizziness became more frequent. I could barely get out of bed in the morning no matter how many hours of sleep I got. By the time I got it removed last week, I couldn't function. Nausea, dizziness, fatigue, horrible labor-like cramps in my uterus and back. I was miserable. Feeling 100% better since removal."

Akm86 June 20, 2015

"Reading this reviews will make anybody turn away. I went in to Plan Parenthood today to talk about birth control was not sure what was good for me. Once I heard about the copper I thought it was perfect. I am one of the few women that actually likes having her period every month. I do have a toddler who I had via C-Section and am positive that I don't ever want anymore children. This was so easy and honestly no pain. I am on the second day of my period and all I felt was a small cramp. Super easy. Its been 3hrs since it was place and I feel great. No discomfort. I'm only 25 and having this for the next 10yrs is great. Try it"

NoBabies (taken for less than 1 month) June 20, 2015

"I just got mine inserted today. I Went into planned parenthood without insurance and My low income (thanks to being a college student) allowed for me to get this without having to pay a dime out of pocket. Thank god, because I am terrible at remembering to take a pill. I hadn't done much research on other people's experiences, I mostly read about it's effectiveness, pros and cons, and side effects, so I felt relitively prepared. However, I took no medication before, and no one had warned me it would even hurt until they were in process. My obgyn was not a nice lady... she was kinda rude and very curt which I believe contributed to the amount of pain I felt. I'm a little bloated and have had some rough cramps but so far I'm doing good."

nobabyformeplz June 17, 2015

ParaGard (copper): "1) hurt like hell going in, I don't care if it was only 30 seconds it was excruciating. (I've never given birth) 2) it did its job and prevented pregnancy the 8 months I was on it 3) made periods very heavy and longer 4) made my vagina smell awful!! And honest to goodness that has never happened so I knew it was the IUD ... Disgusting. I couldn't take smelling like an animal anymore so I got my bf to help me take it out. I'm not a doctor but if you hate paragard as much as I did and wanna save yourself a copay then spread em and let your dude pull it out with tweezers. 5) didn't feel anything upon removal"

Breetann (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 17, 2015

"I just had the copper iud put in yesterday, so I can only rate my experience so far. After reading page after page about this product and tons of reviews, I was very scared about the pain factor. I'm 40 and have never been pregnant, so I assumed insertion would be painful. I ate breakfast and took 800mg of Ibuprofen 2 hours prior to my appointment. I practiced my yoga breathing and focused on a spot on the ceiling. No problem. The doctor doing the procedure wasn't experienced, so a supervising physician was there. They told me what they were doing at each phase. They dilated me to a 6, then a 7. I felt a little pressure and it was uncomfortable, but no pain at any point. I even went on an excursion to the Queen Mary with family later."

MM7 June 17, 2015

"I had my paraguard for about 5 weeks and unfortunately I had to have it removed because when I had sex I kept having sharp stabbing pains which made it impossible to do. My cervix and uterus were irritated because of the IUD and my body was just too sensitive to it. May have been the copper may have been my uterus didn't agree with it being there. Overall it's great to have that's why I gave it a 9 and not a 10 because it didn't work for me. Everyone is different and people's bodies react different to different things."

Sweetfeet June 13, 2015

ParaGard (copper): "Okay, I got my Copper IUD 3days ago. I took 1 alive at 9:30 am then a couple ibpro at 11:00pm. My appointment was moved to 2pm so I ate breakfast then napped and took a couple more ibpro at 1:20pm. During the insertion I knew I had to relax or my walls will tighten up. So I did the breathing thing you see pregnant women do. It was painful but short. The pain felt like a pinch not a cramp. It lasted about 5 seconds. -I started to cramp about 15min after the insertion so I took some more ibpro every 2-3hrs ( I did not get high or feel dizzy. I normally have 800mg (4pills) when I am on my normal period so I just added 2 pills ). I had sex 5 hours after which was fine. He and I both did not feel the IUD. - I spotted 3 times that day. Twice the following day."

Justdontwanytobeprego (taken for less than 1 month) June 13, 2015

ParaGard (copper): "I'm 22, no kids but after 5 yrs on pill I was ready for a worry free change. Insertion wasn't fun but very bearable. Planned Parenthood gave me ibuprofen before too. The first month, you are going to want to rip it out yourself. I had mind blowing, sweat inducing cramps throughout the day and a 6 month pregnant looking bloat I couldn't get rid of. Sexy.Lol. I thought I had made a huge mistake. Then, miraculously my period came with NO PAIN. I bled ALOT I'm talking 4-5 super tampons daily, the first 2-3 days, but literally painless bleeding. Even on or off pill I had always cramped. Now that my first period is over its easy breezy. Don't even know it's there. No bloat or pain. Just wait 6 weeks after insertion and everything will be great."

Kirby220 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 12, 2015

ParaGard (copper): "The ParaGard was one of the most painful things I've ever done. I have had it for almost two years and that pain hasn't got any better. However to me the pain has been worth not getting pregnant before I am married!! Thank God I am almost married and am getting this IUD out MONDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cramps are unbearable, I bleed for weeks on end, and sex isn't good."

Kaylipp June 12, 2015

ParaGard (copper): "So I got the paragard inserted july 2013 after the birth of my first child. The insertion was painful but nothing i couldn't handle. For the first 6 months everything was fine, then i started to get terrible cramps that were almost dibilitating. I also notice my period lasting longer, heavier and becoming more frequent. I waited almost a year to see if this would change. This past april, I bled every day of the month minus maybe 7 days. So my doctor recommended me try mirena to regulate my period. I just got the mirena last week, keeping my fingers crossed."

Snazzery (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 9, 2015

"I had the IUD put in last week. Based on what my doctor said and what I read online, I expected it to be a quick and easy 5 minute procedure, so I booked the appointment in the middle of my work day. To my surprise, the pain was so unbearable and I wasn't able to return to work after having the IUD put in. (I have high-tolerance with pain). During the procedure I was crying hysterically in pain. After the procedure, I couldn't get up off the table. I couldn't walk. When the doctor handed me Advil, I looked at the expiration date and my mind was so taken over by the pain and out of place, I couldn't remember what year it was!! The cramps felt like hell on earth. Definitely the worst pain of my life. (Note: I have not yet given birth.)"

bigtoo (taken for less than 1 month) June 9, 2015

"I had the copper IUD inserted when I just turned 18 because I didn't want any babies at such young age. My mom supported me in my decision and I really do not regret getting this type of birth control. When they inserted the IUD I almost fainted but the pain was not that bad. Since I was 18 after the insertion I experience ugly cramps but with midol they went away. When the first period with the IUD arrived, I wasn't able to move the two first day due to the horrible cramps. However after that everything when back to normal. I just turned 19 and it has been a year with my IUD and I just love it. I feel protected in the sense that I have a great chance to prevent an unwanted pregnancy."

Hasma June 6, 2015

"The scare tactics online are so ridiculous. I understand everyone's pain tolerance is different but what boggles me is the women who have given birth saying that this 2 min (if that) procedure is worse. I mean, really? I almost changed my mind about the Paragard due to all the "worst pain of my life" stories. Ladies, get a grip. IT'S REALLY NOT THAT BAD! Two, quick intense period cramps that each last about 10 seconds. Some mild period - like cramping after. I have an insanely low pain tolerance and all I took was 2, 500mg Naproxen. I was so scared after reading all the stories online and it was all for nothing. Trust me when I say if I can tolerate the procedure, anyone can. I'm a big baby. But obviously, not the biggest!"

Chris191919 June 5, 2015

"I had my IUD put in in 2003 shortly after having my first child, and just had it removed June 2015. Never had any issues with insertion, removal, or the whole 12 years of use. I highly recommend as a long term form of birth control. I will be getting another in a few weeks! Yay Paraguard!"

Headoverhuntnboots (taken for 10 years or more) June 3, 2015

"I have been on it 3 times, have tried several types of birth control including Mirena. My switches were based on thinking I was miserable after reading these forums lol. I always come back to Paragard. All forms of birth control will come with side effects.I recommend getting Paragard on your period when your cervix is soft. Also I've noticed the bleeding seems to regulate easier. The level of pain you experience is truely based on the experience of the provider. I took 800mg of ibuprofen. Women excessive cramping should take progestin cream days 17-21 cycle. Also plan for anemia by increasing iron and zinc intake. Being a little bloated is worth it to me vs having no sex drive and weight gain on hormones."

Nurzenurse June 2, 2015