User Reviews for Copper

Also known as: ParaGard

Copper Review Summary

8.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 212 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Copper to treat Birth Control

ParaGard (copper): "best birth control device ever!!! I've had two paragard IUDs in my lifetime and no weight gain or craziness since there aren't any hormones and nothing to worry about! Loved my almost 20 years using this device and insertion and removal are pretty much pain free and easy. Do yourself a favor, get off those weird hormone laden IUDs or birth co troll pills and do this now!!"

JHinSC August 18, 2015

ParaGard (copper): "I've had the Paragard in for a month. I read the reviews and was royally freaked out about insertion. In real life, the procedure was quick, mildly uncomfortable, and as soon as the IUD was in, I got a dull, period-like cramp that stuck around til that night. That's it! The next week: light spotting. I was also freaked out about my period being horrific, BUT I've always had heavy/painful periods, and I suspect most of the reviewers complaining about this side effect had easy-peasy periods pre-Paragard. On the IUD, mine lasted a few extra (light flow) days, and only on 1 of them did I need painkillers for cramps -- normal for me! The IUD affects every body differently; so far I'm really happy with it as an effective, non-hormonal method."

Drea D. (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 16, 2015

ParaGard (copper): "I did not receive pre-medication before planned insertion. I had it inserted at age 24 & had never given birth. It was very painful to have inserted. I began having pain radiating down from my uterus to my hips, thighs, and knees. Now it mainly begins a wk prior to my period. I have heavy periods, most of the heavy bleeding is only for 2-3 days. The other days are light to normal, with several days of spotting after. The PMS symptoms have been amplified. Pain during sex. Breakthrough bleeding. Occasionally I get an extra period. I have kept the Paragard because it is highly effective. I am allergic to hormonal contraceptives, spermicide, and have a latex sensitivity. So far, no babies."

Rosalina1986 August 13, 2015

ParaGard (copper): "I have had this device for about a year and a half. When I first had it put in, I did cramp for almost a week. Really bad cramps and I spotted the entire time. I finally had a cycle and I thought I was hemorrhaging. I'm 32 and I have two kids. I didn't even bleed that much after I had given birth. It was the scariest thing I've ever experienced. I had to wear adult diapers along with super plus tampons because there was so much blood. My periods where lasting up to two weeks. They are now down to about eight days with two days of very heavy bleeding. My vagina starts to have a funny smell and there is discharge for about a week. As for as this bc being effective I would say 100%. It's the side effects that are a pain."

Feelingmeh August 12, 2015

"I had the worst experience ever!! I went to get the iud inserted. While I was certainly expecting some discomfort, it was the worst pain I have ever felt in my life, and this was after my csection. Yes, it hurt worse than my csection. I could barely talk the entire day I was in so much pain. My husband actually carried me to the car because my legs kept giving out. The first 3 days I was pretty much bed ridden. After a month I felt okay, but sex was so painful I could barely stand it. I would get shocking pains.I was shocked when I didn't have my period to find out I went through all of this pain to be pregnant 5 months later. Iud was no where to be found. It had expelled somehow."

Acrocarly August 10, 2015

ParaGard (copper): "So I am giving the paraguard a 5. I had my first child almost 3 yrs ago. I got the IUD put in 3 months after delivery. It did not hurt that bad to insert just a lot of pressure and mild cramping after. The reason I chose this IUD was because I had tried several b.c pills in past and always had issues with hormones. Overall it served its purpose but I did have side effects I just felt tired all the time, anxiety, bloated and some more severe period symptoms in the beginning, I also started having a lot of chronic back and neck pain and just felt pretty shitty all the time, not healthy. I decided to take it out this past week after having it almost 3 yr. I already feel better more energy less bloat and it's crazy but my back pain Is gone!!"

Mama feeling good (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 7, 2015

"I'm 22 and never been pregnant - I was dreading getting the copper coil as I heard it was so painful but it was grand! So far it's been brilliant! My periods now last about 6 days though. Everyone is different but I totally recommend this - especially if you don't want to take artificial hormones"

Shelzo August 7, 2015

ParaGard (copper): "After reading some of the scary reviews in this forum I almost talked myself out of getting the ParaGard. I think that people are more likely to post if they've had a bad experience so I wanted to add my own story to the mix. I've had a ParaGard for about a month now, and opted for ParaGard over birth control pills or a hormonal IUD because I liked the idea of a hormone free option. Previously I'd been on birth control pills for several years, and although my experience with the pill was generally positive it took my body awhile to regulate after I discontinued use the first time. After doing some research I decided to have the ParaGard inserted at Planned Parenthood as opposed to my regular OBGYN because the providers there insert dozens of these a day and have more experience with them. I've never had a baby and the insertion was uncomfortable but bearable. It basically felt like a very intense cramp, but was over in a few minutes. I'm sure that it helps to have an experienced provider Following the insertion I felt like I had mild to moderate menstrual cramps, but was able to return to work for the rest of the afternoon with minimal discomfort. In the week following the insertion you will need to wear panty liners because you leak a clearish brownish fluid which feels a bit strange. The feeling freaked me out at first but it went away pretty quickly and stopped altogether within a week. In the weeks that followed I had intermittent menstrual cramps as my body adjusted. My biggest fear was that my cramps during my period would be unbearable (they are usually very bad), but I was happy to find out that they weren't any worse than usual although my period was heavier. If you are looking for a hormone free option I'd recommend ParaGard. The key is just knowing what to expect early on."

EllaJay (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 7, 2015

ParaGard (copper): "I have had the Paragard IUD for 6yrs now and I love it. I have had no big issues with it. I got it 6 weeks postpartum and didn't feel anything when inserted but did have some spotting. Changes I've noticed since I have it: heavier periods and heavy cramping. I have spotting up to a week before my period and cramps that are really strong. I have had more vaginal discharge, like everyday almost. And the vaginal odors are more noticeable but not horrible. BUT all this is worth it because there is no hormones, and you don't have to worry about forgetting to take a pill."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 7, 2015

"I'm 20 years of age and got a copper coil 4 months ago. Instantly, I had problems with it. During the 4 months I would bleed constantly for 2 weeks with only a 2 week break in between. With my recent period I became very ill. I was bleeding extremely heavily, getting dizzy and vomiting. Once at the doctors, they removed the coil straight away and informed me that I had an infection caused by the coil. I was warned that my body may reject it, however I was not warned that I could get an infection due to this. As stated I am 20 and did not expect to hear that the infection could have caused me to be infertile if not detected as quickly as it was. It may work for others, but I had a pretty bad experience with it."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 6, 2015

ParaGard (copper): "I had my paragard inserted about 7 months ago, and insertion wouldn't have been so bad if I hadn't still be sore from ripping during childbirth. With paragard my period started lasting up to 9-10 days with heavy bleeding. I also started to have pain during sex. About 2 weeks ago I developed eczema on my hand. Today I had the paragard removed and felt instantly better. According to the ob/gyn I may have a copper allergy because my cervix was red and inflamed. She said the eczema could have also been a result of it too. So in summary, paragard does work in preventing pregnancy, but make sure you don't have a copper allergy before hand, and remember that every woman is going to react to it differently."

Jsallen21 August 6, 2015

"It's been fantastic. It prevents pregnancy--exactly what a woman using it wants. The first few months were heavier than usual periods, yes. But know your periods, and make sure that you feel normal half a year later, and I think all will be well. Good luck!"

scientist and mama of one August 6, 2015

ParaGard (copper): "It is about 10pm and I had my iud insertion at 4 today. The night before, I inserted a misoprostol tab to ripe/dilate my cervix. I agree with most of the reviews that insertion isn't painful, but very uncomfortable. There was some pressure and cramping that didn't feel like a menstrual cramp, but close. After insertion I just had light cramping. I went out to dinner quickly after, and during my dinner I felt weak and flushed. I didn't feel like eating or talking. I started to feel better, but I just felt like I was having a hot flash. Now I'm feeling fine and there's some light spotting and clots. My doctor told me to have nothing in the vagina for a week and will get my strings checked next month. I would definitely do this again!"

Kase August 5, 2015

ParaGard (copper): "I got this procedure done yesterday. I used cytotec for 3 days before. When i got to the dr. they decided to inject me with a numbing block, which was more emotionally scary, than painful. There were two parts. The first cramp was decently painful. Mine was also ultrasound guided, and she helped me keep breathing calmly. The second cramp/push was really painful, but afterwards I was fine. Second day only mild cramps. I suggest getting a driver if you have to drive any distance. The scariest part about this procedure is the unknown, since everyone reacts differently. I am happy with it so far. We will see when i get my first period."

katiez5 August 4, 2015

"I don't usually post reviews about anything...but my experience today was something I think everyone should know. I got my paragard inserted about 1 hour ago...I was like many of the other posters on here COMPLETELY TERRIFIED of getting it put in. I will say it was NOT AT ALL what I had myself talked into. My Dr walked me through each stage of the process and was able to keep me laughing through the procedure which helped a lot. Like many others say...it's an intense cramp...but if you focus on breathing deep it is literally over in 2 breaths. I did what most people have done and took 800mg of advil and ate a nice sized lunch and am home now on my couch feeling nothing. I didn't bleed and I am thankful I did this."

mandibernhardt (taken for less than 1 month) August 3, 2015

ParaGard (copper): "I have used the paragard twice now. The first time I had it inserted was a month or so postpartum. The insertion was painful of course and I ended up hyperventilating due to the pain. The device was very effective though and I didn't get pregnant the whole time I was on it. I had regular periods, but of course they were heavier than normal and more painful than normal. As time went on the periods got more and more painful. I started having severe back pain. I'd get these horrid back cramps that got worse and worse every period. Eventually I couldn't take it anymore and had it removed. I just used condoms for a while afterwards. A few years later I decided to give it another shot. My experience was Identical again and I had it removed again."

Funfunkyfantastic (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 31, 2015

ParaGard (copper): "I just got Paragard inserted today - was absolutely NOT terrible like everyone says. I will say I did a few things that may or may not have helped: I took Misoprostol vaginally (prescription from my doctor) to help soften my cervix 3-4 hours prior to my appointment, I had a 60-minute holistic massage 2 hours prior to my appointment (long story - didn't actually plan this due to my insertion or anything - just happened), and then I took 800mg of Ibuprofen an hour prior to my appointment. I definitely felt what was happening but it was NOT the pain level that everyone says - I'd say a 3 or 4 out of 10 and just for about 20-30 seconds. Definitely worth it for 10 years of not having to worry about getting pregnant or having hormones in my body!"

LindsayNieb July 30, 2015

"I've had my paraguard in for about a month now and I have to say it was the best decision I have made. I was EXTREMELY hesitant about the insertion and the aftermath. The night before my appointment I got no sleep at all due to being so scared...especially after seeing all the negative reviews and horror stories. When the time came, my hands were sweating and shaking, I was petrified. It literally took about 30 seconds and I hardly felt anything. A very mild cramp and it was over. I've had period cramps that have been much worse than that. Afterwards I was expecting to be in pain all day and just be fishing blood. Neither happened. No cramping at all and the blood was so mild that it didn't even fill a panty liner. I highly recommend it!"

Hjoyy July 30, 2015

ParaGard (copper): "I've had ParaGard for about 9 months now, and I LOVE it. Insertion was nearly painless, and I love the fact that there are no hormones. I'm still nursing, so I don't have my cycle back yet. I previously had the Mirena, and the side effects were awful, but I am so pleased this time around! I would absolutely recommend ParaGard to anyone looking for effective birth control with minimal side effects."

Kimmer157 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 30, 2015

"It's been about a month since I had my Paragard inserted and so far, so good! The insertion pain was not as bad as other reviews made it sound. I do suggest taking pain relief before hand. The pain felt like an intense cramp for a few minutes and then some random cramps throughout the day. Unfortunately, the woman who inserted it did not tell me how to feel for the strings or make a follow-up appointment with me to check for them. Cramps were on and off the few following days after that. Nothing a little pain medications couldn't fix. It did, however, start my period early. Do expect some spotting for about 6 weeks. Sex will be a little painful and gross for a while, but it was nice to not worry or have to take the pill. It will be different with everyone."

KSny (taken for less than 1 month) July 26, 2015

"I'm 23 with one child and decided to get the paragard and actually got it inserted yesterday (almost 3yrs pp) I read tons of reviews and was super scared but I knew everyone was different so I just had to see for myself. The worst part was the inserting but it didn't hurt it was just uncomfortable for about 2 minutes. I had one minor cramp that went away right after insertion. I was on day 2 of my period which possibly made it easier. I took an 800 ibuprofen an hr before and walked out fine. So far so good. Bleeding hasn't increased and cramps are none existent. Now on day 3 of my period and day 1 after insertion I have no complaints. Hopefully it continues."

ElijahMae (taken for less than 1 month) July 25, 2015

ParaGard (copper): "I am 23 and have had Paragard in for 6 months. I got it because I was going to be working abroad without access to daily BC options. The insertion was almost painless, just a pinch feeling. About an hour after I began to feel cramps and some pain. The next day it was mild and then gone by night time. My first period was way heavier than I was used to! I also had terrible cramps and pains. I wanted to get Paragard removed but I couldn't since I was abroad. The next few periods were also painfully crampy with heavy bleeding but I noticed the pain decreased with each period. Now I have had seven periods and it is back to normal with just very minor cramps. The bleeding is not as heavy either. I am happy I never had it removed!"

Playsoccer (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 23, 2015

ParaGard (copper): "Only rated a 9 because i haven't had it in for long! I got the paragard yesterday, and it was not nearly as bad as i thought it was going to be! don't be scared out of getting it from the bad reviews! it hurt getting inserted and when my cervix was clamped open, but the pain only lasted about 5 seconds and it was only a little bit worse than a regular period cramp. definitely take some advil before you go in to the doctor to get it. Day two, i haven't taken any pain killers and the pain isn't worse than a regular period. i didn't experience any cramping or lightheadedness immediately after insertion. I had bad mood swings and depression/anxiety from hormonal birth control so this is a great non-hormonal option for me! & it lasts for10years!"

Carla CW (taken for less than 1 month) July 22, 2015

ParaGard (copper): "I am 20 years old, never been pregnant and got the Paragard last year. Insertion was painful but bearable and I was sore for a day or two after. I love how low-maintenance it is and that it lasts so long and doesn't use hormones but ever since I've gotten it inserted, my periods have been longer, heavier, and crampier. Doctor said that for some people, it may go back to normal after about 4-6 months but my periods have remained pretty annoying. I love IUDs but not so much the Paragard. Thinking about switching to Skyla."

crampyvag July 21, 2015

ParaGard (copper): "I've had paraguard for 1 yr. Insertion was nearly painless-no worse than a papsmear to me, esp. compared to the horrible experience I expected after reading negative reviews online (I might have lucked out with a tactile & tactful doctor, but I suggest you have your own experience).IUD hasn't had one noticeable effect on my mood, appetite, or energy. I'm against hormones, so I think some of my positive attitude is due to placebo b/c I want it to work. HOWEVER, even at 1 yr, periods aren't cyclical, sometimes 2x/mo, intermittent spotting, dry blood residues, so I avoid sex sometimes b/c it's embarrassing.This is ironic b/c birth control should enable me to have sex more!Also, the cramps are more painful than any pain I have ever experienced."

FortuneCookie July 21, 2015