Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Copper

Also known as: ParaGard

Copper review summary

8.5/10 Average Rating

Compare all 193 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Copper to treat Birth Control

Review by Loz89 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

The most amazing contraception ever! Cost me $150 to cover for 10 years. Thats in Australia anyway! Heavier flow but I loved it! No babies or side effects! Hurt like hell though putting it in.. As I had never had children I got a twilight sedation! haha... And hurt getting it removed. But absolutely nothing bad to say about it!! If your thinking about getting one - get it!

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 16, 2015 1:58 AM

Review by Patto123 (taken for less than 1 month):

I think it's great, got the smallest one T360 I think , hurt a lot getting it in but didn't last long! Cramps all night could not sleep from pain! Next day much better then nothing. Can't tell it's there! Except stomach bloated lots! For about a week then went to normal felt a bit run down as well and a lot of discharge! And felt down depressed! But after 2 weeks fantastic! PMS symptoms before period but no spotting, yay normally get a lot of acne on chin! Period normal, definitely recommend.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 21, 2015 12:02 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

So I cannot vouch for effectiveness since I just got it today but I wanted to share this. I have never had a child so I read the reviews below and was terrified about the pain people claim lasted 24 hours to a few days. I will admit the pain at insertion was so surprising I got lightheaded. About 20 minutes after insertion the cramping has subsided and I don't feel as awful as I thought I would. Mild cramping but that's about it.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 11, 2015 5:57 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I've had the Paragard for 3.5 years. It's great for women who want/need a hormone free birth control. It is pretty expensive if your insurance doesn't cover it, so I'm sure that's a major factor for a lot of women. If I didn't want to be hormone free, I think the Mirena would be better for me. Insertion was painful...don't make any plans the rest of the day and have someone nearby to whine to and do stuff for you. And ibuprofen is necessary when I'm cramping from my period/ovulation. But it's worth it for me and I'd recommend it.

February 9, 2015 9:08 AM

Review by Melymel15:

ParaGard (copper): When they first tried to insert the Paragard the doctor had a problem. My uterus is flipped some type of way. Anyways it took the doctor and assistant to do it. A little pain but nothing like giving birth. I do have heavier period but no bad cramps. Might be too much TMI but my Sex drive has gone up since having the Paragard because it doesn't have hormones. I was on birth control and felt so tired and lazy. I love Paragard, best birth control for me.

February 8, 2015 12:16 PM

Review by Posset:

I had my copper IUD fitted earlier in the week (T-Safe). I opted not to have local anaesthetic to my cervix, instead I'd taken two ibuprofen/codeine an hour before the appointment. This was okay for me. I haven't had children, my pain tolerance is normal I would say, it was slightly painful on two occasions, but this was fleeting and bearable. So far very happy with it, I had a day of cramping when it was put in, since then, very minimal cramps - I think my body is just getting used to it. The main reason I went with this method was so I didn't have to take hormones. The only side effect I have noticed so far is an increase in discharge (thicker than before), but not worried about this. I will write another review in a few months.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 23, 2015 6:46 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I had it for four years already, at first it feels a little uncomfortable, but as time passes you don't feel anything and you live your life as normal. The only side effects is longer periods but is worth it instead of getting pregnant.

January 21, 2015 9:45 AM

Review by Sophia.93:

As everyone else said the effectiveness of this is for me 100%. I did not get on this medication till I started a serious relationship with my boyfriend and I've always used condoms. The IUD it's very effective and not noticeable at all. At first when I got it implanted it was very painful, I've never had kids so that is one reason it was. I thought that them putting it in was not even close to as bad as the next 48hrs. I do not mean to scare anyone but I had to take 800mg of Advil for 3 days after and I could tell when it was wearing off. I could not walk at times. But all of the pain is worth it. The hormones free is also with it

January 17, 2015 7:06 PM

Review by Ash Lee (taken for 1 to 6 months):

ParaGard (copper): No issues at all here. People said it hurts getting it in- didn't hurt me. People said it caused them heavy bleeding- not me. Severe cramps-nope. Spotting/bleeding between periods- no. I'm also sure that what you "experience" with Paraguard may depend on how your cycles were before getting it put in. I love it.

January 5, 2015 2:13 PM

Review by mete14 (taken for less than 1 month):

I've had it in for about a month. Insertion was painful. I've never had children, though. Make sure you take Ibuprofen and eat something before your appointment, and have someone to drive you home. I had bad cramps for about a day and a half and spotting for 4-5 days. Since then I have light cramps everyday that are easily remedied with a heating pad, and on occasion I may take some pain reliever. I find that working out helps the cramping. Sex is a little uncomfortable still (makes me crampy), but it is getting better. I'm almost a week late. I've been told that isn't uncommon, but it's a little nerve racking. I feel more lively and my sex drive has increased! Best part? Completely covered by my insurance.

December 29, 2014 9:08 PM

Review by Ana92:

I got the Paragard in the spring of 2013 because I couldn't take hormonal birth control (terrible side effects of nausea, migraines, and mood swings). I'm SO glad I got the Paragard. The insertion was a little painful because I've never had children and the next few days I experienced moderate to severe cramps. Now my periods are longer and heavier and sometimes I have cramping, but those are the only side effects I have. It feels great not to have to worry about getting pregnant for an entire ten years, and I consider the side effects of the Paragard minimal in relation to my experience with other birth control methods.

December 26, 2014 12:40 AM

Review by Faith1187 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I was on Loestrin FE for two years and loved it; then I found out I have a genetic predisposition to blood clots, and my doctor recommended switching to non-hormonal birth control. So I tried Paragard. The insertion was extremely painful, I cramped for a day, then was fine. And it has been absolutely 100% effective as birth control. But the side effects were debilitating. My periods, which were previously light for 5 days, became heavy for 7-8 days, with spotting for 4 days beforehand. My cramps severely intensified to the point of being unbearable, and I had two yeast infections in the two years I've had it, compared to the none I had before. Again, it worked as birth control...but the side effects had a huge impact on my life.

December 23, 2014 1:02 PM

Review by Hormone-free (taken for less than 1 month):

I've never had kids, and so it was a pretty intense 'cramp' feeling going in, but SO worth it. Hormone based options have not worked without also making me very nauseous, so it's exciting to have a carefree long lasting option!

December 15, 2014 12:12 PM

Review by alnick07120:

I typically don't post, but I thought I should share.. if you have cramps on your normal menstrual cycle, the cramps only get worse. Much worse. I have a decently high pain tolerance, and have been a whim for 2 days now. I have only had Paragard for 1 month, and they say it gets better over time, so I am hoping that it really does get better, but those are the only symptoms I've had other than spotting during the month. Workouts haven't been suffering nor had my weight changed much at all. I do bloat from time to time though. Hope this helps.

December 13, 2014 9:56 PM

Review by Kiki W (taken for 1 to 6 months):

ParaGard (copper): I had the Paragard inserted in less than 5min painfree.....After my doctor did a vaginal and stomach sonogram to make sure it was in the correct position and I was done. The only complication is my periods are longer, heavier, and more crampier, but no biggie. I love the Paragard. I have no complaints.

December 12, 2014 8:43 AM

Review by Nice While I Had it (taken for 1 to 6 months):

ParaGard (copper): I got ParaGard as my first form of birth control because I didn't want to deal with hormones. I went through 2 models within 5 months. It turned out that my uterus was too small for the IUD. While I was on it though, the only side effects I had was a slight increase in my period (two days longer and a little bit heavier) and a more sensitive cervix. If my boyfriend even slightly hit my cervix, it would send a jolt of pain up my spine. I really didn't mind it and I wish I could still be using it. I wouldn't worry about the copper. And because it's hormone-free, there is very little risk of having symptoms caused by chemicals (like moods or weight-gain).

December 8, 2014 1:46 PM

Review by StephanieAlice (taken for 2 to 5 years):

ParaGard (copper): I have had problems with hormonal birth control since I can remember. This IUD was a simple decision for me after having my first child since it isn't hormonal. The only side effect that I have had is longer periods. I do plan on having another child some day, just not now, and I can do that with Paragard.

December 5, 2014 7:53 PM

Review by QuelMom (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I got the Paraguard inserted about 2 months ago while on my period. Insertion was painful, it felt like sharp pinching. On the way home I started feeling nauseated and light headed. I stepped out of my car everything turned white!! I kept walking slowly and plopped myself on my bed. It was so uncomfortable. Next few days were horrible! I experienced severe menstrual cramps, 10/10 pain. I cried every time my uterus cramped up. After my period I was ok. I would randomly get this really bad pain down my left leg to my knee. 8/10 pain. The next period was even worse!! I cried for 2 nights, couldn't sleep. Now on my period again and it's not bad at all. Back to normal cramps. Overall, heavier periods, but no weight gain, no acne, no pregnancy.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 20, 2014 1:13 AM

Review by Rachel810 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

If you are like me and DO NOT want to be on any hormonal meds, this is for you! I've never had children and it wasn't that painful getting inserted. It's very quick, comparable to a pap. I was sore internally for maybe a day while my body adjusted. The periods are a different story: My first couple periods were extremely painful and lasted longer than normal. However, they ARE getting less severe every month. I'm going on month 6 and this month was like a normal period again. My advice is to deal with the pain for the first few months because it will level out.

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 6, 2014 2:19 PM

Review by 5yrs and counting !!! (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Absolutely love it. I have it for 5yrs. The insertion just little pain, later only a discomfort. The second day nothing. The first months heavier flow, and last 1 whole week. Then go back to normal or even less. No side effects no infection no nothing.

November 4, 2014 11:58 PM

Review by Melissa543:

I've had Paragaurd for over 4 months now and I really like it. Insertion was a breeze. I have two kids so that might have helped a bit. I was told to take Motrin before I had it done too. The whole process lasted all but 3 minutes. Literally! My cycle has been pretty much on time. Periods are a bit heavier but nothing I can't handle. My husband cannot feel the strings at all and I check them after my period ends. I really forget that it's even there. No problems and I love that it's hormone free. So far so good

October 29, 2014 10:30 PM

Review by Hil92:

I got my Copper T about 7 months ago and I love it. I am 22- haven't had kids- so the insertion was pretty horrible. Really, really painful. I had horrific cramping and bleeding that whole day, an unreal amount of bleeding that night (seriously), but then the next day just a tiny bit of cramping and bleeding. My periods are slightly heavier than they were before, my cramping is normal, and my period lasts about 5 days. The only real difference in my periods is that they are much more spread out- I've been getting them every 5 to 7 weeks (this may have to do with me and my past history of birth control though). The insertion was bad but so worth it. I don't even know it's there. I recommend!

October 26, 2014 9:47 PM

Review by gg82 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

ParaGard (copper): I had the Paragard for 6 years and it was great. I was having panic attacks and somebody told me it was a reaction to the copper, so I had the Paraguard removed. Most Stupid decision I ever made was getting it removed. I went back to my midwife to get another Paraguard and they could not get it inserted correctly. I wish I would've kept it in. The first tine it was inserted was easy and pain free. The second time around pretty painful. It depends on the person and how it feels.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 21, 2014 5:32 PM

Review by New and ugh:

Just got mine yesterday, and I wasn't prepared for how painful it would be. I got it because I have chronic migraines worsened by hormones, but don't trust condoms alone. I never had kids, and it was so painful I threw up about 4 times over the day. Today was much much better, still some cramping with high activity and I took it easy all day. Guess I will wait for the period to give full judgement.

October 10, 2014 11:04 PM

Review by bobble1234 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Insertion? Awful. I haven't had kids, so of course my pain tolerance is going to be low. The pain doesn't last long - basically, if you want a good hormonal birth control just suck it up. For me, the day I got it I had pretty damn bad cramps, but by the next day they were nonexistent. About a week before my period I was getting cramps here and there - nothing Tylenol couldn't take care of. Now I just got my period, and I'm going to be honest it is heavy. I do have some cramps with it, but nothing like I have experienced in the past. I have lost weight since getting off the pill. My mood, it's stable for once! Sex is still great, I feel great, boyfriend loves it too! Especially the no hormone part! I highly recommend it.

October 2, 2014 8:16 AM