Pill Identifier App

User Reviews for Copper

Also known as: ParaGard

Copper review summary

8.5/10 Average Rating

Compare all 193 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Copper to treat Birth Control

Review by Rae1248 (taken for less than 1 month):

I had this IUD put in two days ago. The procedure itself was not horrible it only lasted a couple minutes. I did feel extreme cramping after the procedure. I am 25 and have never had children. Minor cramping since then nothing some pain meds can't take care of. If these cramps go away within the next week I think this was totally worth it for ten years of not having to worry about it. Would for sure take pain medication before going in for the procedure next time. I forgot...

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 24, 2015 11:02 AM

Review by M in TX:

I had Paragard placed 7 weeks ago. I went into it fearing the worst based on reviews I'd read, but I have nothing but positive things to say about this IUD. I didn't feel a thing during placement - not so much as even a twinge - but that may be due to the fact that I've given birth to four babies. I spotted for several days afterward until my period started. My period was neither heavier nor longer than usual and my cramps seemed to be no worse than before Paragard. I had zero spotting for the rest of that month and started my second period right on time. Overall, I haven’t really noticed any changes since being on Paragard and I couldn’t be happier with it!

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 23, 2015 9:17 AM

Review by danyellferda1:

ParaGard (copper): I got my Paragard put in 3 days ago, and I will let you all know I was absolutely terrfied. I researched and researched for weeks before and almost decided against it from all the horror stories I read. Ladies passing out, bleeding all the time, cramps from hell etc. Well my doctor herself had an IUD put in, so she firsthand knew how badly they hurt. The entire procedure took less than 5 minutes, and when I was done I said "was that it?? That's all?" it wasn't bad at all, and I had very very minor cramping in the days following. It is absolutely worth it for what it's worth! Highly recommend.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 20, 2015 5:09 PM

Review by Lynda C (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Hey ladies! I first had ParaGara inserted back in May of 2014, loved it, loved it, loved it. It was my first time off hormonal BC in years and I was so excited for my body to have some idea of normalcy. Now, I have an issue with ovarian cysts, and by the time October 2014 came, I had two that burst. So I made the switch to Nexplanon (the arm implant mainly bases with progestin) for the hormones to help prevent the cysts from forming. I was on Nexplanon for 6 months and hated every single day of it. I had mood swings, headaches, SEVERE weight gain, no matter how much I worked out or exercised. 4 days ago April 2015 I switched back to Pargard. ITS GREAT. I couldn't be happier. Cramping and heavy periods are the only main things to worry about

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 20, 2015 2:16 PM

Review by Marina Evanoff:

So if you are anything like me, you are googling what your IUD insertion is going to be like. It does vary from person to person, but it was not nearly as bad as I was expecting. So I am 21, with no kids. I read everything online before and totally scared myself. I got the Paragard IUD today, so I can't speak for the aftermath but I can talk about the insertion. I did mine at the same time as my annual exam and Pap smear. So basically, there are three cramps during the insertion. The first cramp is when they put on the little (I think it was metal) clamp kind of thing to see how your uterus lies in your body. This one was not bad. The second cramp was when my doctor was measuring the length of the IUD. The third, and final cramp is when my doctor slid my IUD in and the arms of the IUD opened wide. This one hurt a little bit, but it is NOT what people make it seem to be. It feels like a pretty strong menstrual cramp for about 10 seconds. Then my doctor made sure that the IUD was in place and that it hadn't perforated, which is extremely rare. I did not get light headed or pass out during the insertion. I breathed long slow breaths and stared at the little dots on the ceiling. I didn't get cramps right after, until about 15 minutes after while I was driving home, and even then they just feel like normal period cramps. I bought those little disposable heading pads and some Midol, and now I'm going to go relax. Do yourself a favor and don't freak yourself out! Stop reading these horrible reviews. Anyone who feels the need to talk about how horrible the pain was needs to get a life. It wasn't even that bad. And for ten years of no babies, I'd say a 10 second cramp is absolutely worth it. Good luck!! :)

April 17, 2015 7:14 PM

Review by van.mem (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I got my copper IUD almost two years ago when I was 20 (no kids) and I am really happy with it. I chose it for effectiveness, price, and non-hormonal. Yes it increased bleeding and cramps during my period, but it has been manageable. It took some time to get used to because I used to have light periods and rare cramping. I had to start buying plus and super plus-sized tampons and take Ibuprofen for the first few days of my period. But it has been worth it! Within the last year I've even noticed a decrease :) Insertion was a shot of pain during and cramps afterward. I recommend having someone to drive you home! I was able to go to the 6-week check-up myself. If you can handle the period symptoms, I would definitely recommend a copper IUD!

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 15, 2015 11:02 PM

Review by swimmergal006 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have the Paragard copper IUD for 4 months now, and so for my experience has been average. My only "complaints" are the cramps are at time excruciating! They come "at random" while I'm on my period, nothing I've ever felt before, heating pads, water and physical activity will be your friend ladies. My Dr says the first 3-5 periods will be hard for example heavier bleeding and cramping because the IUD is trying to settle in. Another weird point is that my boyfriend can feel like IUD at times during sex, the string is a little pokey at first but my Dr said it should soften up. I would suggest this birth control for anyone who doesn't want to take pills and doesn't have to worry about it!

April 14, 2015 1:06 PM

Review by rae808rae (taken for less than 1 month):

Before I went to get the insert I wondered through this page to find out how good it was and some women scared me about the actual insert. But when I went the only thing that hurt was the measuring of the uterus and that's it!!!!! But I was on my first day of my period when I went which made it a lot less painful during the procedure. The reason for this is because your cervix is already softened(dialated) and is easier to put the iud in(which makes it less painful lol)I only had it for 3 days now and the only thing is my cramps are a little bit more crampy. But if anyone is ready to get paragard she should go on her period . I know it sounds gross but trust me..you will barely feel any pain and taking some medicine for the cramps will help

April 12, 2015 12:30 AM

Review by S.O. (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I love my copper IUD so much. I'm 19 years old and I got it around my 19th birthday my period has come fairly consistently, every 25-30 days (with regular unprotected sex with my boyfriend). The worst part about it is the cramps. I had mild to non-existent cramps prior to getting the IUD, but the cramps that came along with my first period not only started earlier but were really painful. But each period after that has gotten better. Another thing is my period is heavier and a bit longer (from 4 to 6 day, and still is, but that's diminishing as the months go along too. the initial difficulties are worth the no-hassle, low cost birth control. Insertion was a breeze, some unconfortability and mild pain. I took ibuprofen before and after.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 9, 2015 5:24 PM

Review by dowens492:

I got my Paragard four days ago and I absolutely love it! Insertion was not horrible (I've never had kids)-it felt like a big cramp and it was over with quickly! Just take two Midol before the procedure. I did have mild cramps the rest of the day-but a heating pad and more Midol did the trick. The next day I had cramps in the morning and I was fine the rest of the day. I feel totally back to normal and even had sex already and it feels fine. My partner cannot feel the strings and sex is much more spontaneous and fun without worry. I am getting a bit anxious for my first period with it but since mine are a bit heavy to begin with I'm sure I'll be alright. Would definitely recommend!

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 29, 2015 10:45 PM

Review by kezzy (taken for less than 1 month):

I've only had my IUD for a short time but so far I am loving it! I feel so much better not having extra hormones and it's so super convenient not to worry about a pill everyday. When I had it put in there was a little bit of pain and some really heavy cramping for the first 2 nights but overall I am very happy with it!

March 26, 2015 1:41 PM

Review by Loz89 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

The most amazing contraception ever! Cost me $150 to cover for 10 years. Thats in Australia anyway! Heavier flow but I loved it! No babies or side effects! Hurt like hell though putting it in.. As I had never had children I got a twilight sedation! haha... And hurt getting it removed. But absolutely nothing bad to say about it!! If your thinking about getting one - get it!

March 16, 2015 1:58 AM

Review by Patto123 (taken for less than 1 month):

I think it's great, got the smallest one T360 I think , hurt a lot getting it in but didn't last long! Cramps all night could not sleep from pain! Next day much better then nothing. Can't tell it's there! Except stomach bloated lots! For about a week then went to normal felt a bit run down as well and a lot of discharge! And felt down depressed! But after 2 weeks fantastic! PMS symptoms before period but no spotting, yay normally get a lot of acne on chin! Period normal, definitely recommend.

February 21, 2015 12:02 PM

Review by Emryy:

I had many issues with hormonal birth control pills, and decided switching to a hormone free, extremely low maintenance option would be great. I've had it roughly 3 months, and so far I love it. When it was inserted, the stabilizing of the cervix was the most painful. But after it was in I went home and was fine. My vagina was a little swollen for about a week, and I did take an ibuprofen the second day for swelling, but it wasn't necessary. The "strings" of the copper IUD are soft and my partner can't feel them. I'm still spotting, but my periods haven't been heavier and only mild cramping (before I had none). If I wasn't still spotting and bleeding after sex I'd have given it 10 stars, but my dr says spotting like this is normal.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 16, 2015 2:06 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

So I cannot vouch for effectiveness since I just got it today but I wanted to share this. I have never had a child so I read the reviews below and was terrified about the pain people claim lasted 24 hours to a few days. I will admit the pain at insertion was so surprising I got lightheaded. About 20 minutes after insertion the cramping has subsided and I don't feel as awful as I thought I would. Mild cramping but that's about it.

February 11, 2015 5:57 PM

Review by Laurelin (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Thought I'd post an update. I've now had the Paragard for 9 months. After the insertion in May, I didn't get my period for 2 months but I'm sure that was my body adjusting to no more hormones. Now that it's pretty regular, it lasts between 5-6 days and the most surprising thing is I have no cramps at all. In fact, my cramps and PMS were worse when I was on the pill. I would definitely recommend the Paragard!

February 10, 2015 10:31 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I've had the Paragard for 3.5 years. It's great for women who want/need a hormone free birth control. It is pretty expensive if your insurance doesn't cover it, so I'm sure that's a major factor for a lot of women. If I didn't want to be hormone free, I think the Mirena would be better for me. Insertion was painful...don't make any plans the rest of the day and have someone nearby to whine to and do stuff for you. And ibuprofen is necessary when I'm cramping from my period/ovulation. But it's worth it for me and I'd recommend it.

February 9, 2015 9:08 AM

Review by Melymel15:

ParaGard (copper): When they first tried to insert the Paragard the doctor had a problem. My uterus is flipped some type of way. Anyways it took the doctor and assistant to do it. A little pain but nothing like giving birth. I do have heavier period but no bad cramps. Might be too much TMI but my Sex drive has gone up since having the Paragard because it doesn't have hormones. I was on birth control and felt so tired and lazy. I love Paragard, best birth control for me.

February 8, 2015 12:16 PM

Review by Posset:

I had my copper IUD fitted earlier in the week (T-Safe). I opted not to have local anaesthetic to my cervix, instead I'd taken two ibuprofen/codeine an hour before the appointment. This was okay for me. I haven't had children, my pain tolerance is normal I would say, it was slightly painful on two occasions, but this was fleeting and bearable. So far very happy with it, I had a day of cramping when it was put in, since then, very minimal cramps - I think my body is just getting used to it. The main reason I went with this method was so I didn't have to take hormones. The only side effect I have noticed so far is an increase in discharge (thicker than before), but not worried about this. I will write another review in a few months.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 23, 2015 6:46 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I had it for four years already, at first it feels a little uncomfortable, but as time passes you don't feel anything and you live your life as normal. The only side effects is longer periods but is worth it instead of getting pregnant.

January 21, 2015 9:45 AM

Review by Sophia.93:

As everyone else said the effectiveness of this is for me 100%. I did not get on this medication till I started a serious relationship with my boyfriend and I've always used condoms. The IUD it's very effective and not noticeable at all. At first when I got it implanted it was very painful, I've never had kids so that is one reason it was. I thought that them putting it in was not even close to as bad as the next 48hrs. I do not mean to scare anyone but I had to take 800mg of Advil for 3 days after and I could tell when it was wearing off. I could not walk at times. But all of the pain is worth it. The hormones free is also with it

January 17, 2015 7:06 PM

Review by Ash Lee (taken for 1 to 6 months):

ParaGard (copper): No issues at all here. People said it hurts getting it in- didn't hurt me. People said it caused them heavy bleeding- not me. Severe cramps-nope. Spotting/bleeding between periods- no. I'm also sure that what you "experience" with Paraguard may depend on how your cycles were before getting it put in. I love it.

January 5, 2015 2:13 PM

Review by mete14 (taken for less than 1 month):

I've had it in for about a month. Insertion was painful. I've never had children, though. Make sure you take Ibuprofen and eat something before your appointment, and have someone to drive you home. I had bad cramps for about a day and a half and spotting for 4-5 days. Since then I have light cramps everyday that are easily remedied with a heating pad, and on occasion I may take some pain reliever. I find that working out helps the cramping. Sex is a little uncomfortable still (makes me crampy), but it is getting better. I'm almost a week late. I've been told that isn't uncommon, but it's a little nerve racking. I feel more lively and my sex drive has increased! Best part? Completely covered by my insurance.

December 29, 2014 9:08 PM

Review by Ana92:

I got the Paragard in the spring of 2013 because I couldn't take hormonal birth control (terrible side effects of nausea, migraines, and mood swings). I'm SO glad I got the Paragard. The insertion was a little painful because I've never had children and the next few days I experienced moderate to severe cramps. Now my periods are longer and heavier and sometimes I have cramping, but those are the only side effects I have. It feels great not to have to worry about getting pregnant for an entire ten years, and I consider the side effects of the Paragard minimal in relation to my experience with other birth control methods.

December 26, 2014 12:40 AM

Review by Faith1187 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I was on Loestrin FE for two years and loved it; then I found out I have a genetic predisposition to blood clots, and my doctor recommended switching to non-hormonal birth control. So I tried Paragard. The insertion was extremely painful, I cramped for a day, then was fine. And it has been absolutely 100% effective as birth control. But the side effects were debilitating. My periods, which were previously light for 5 days, became heavy for 7-8 days, with spotting for 4 days beforehand. My cramps severely intensified to the point of being unbearable, and I had two yeast infections in the two years I've had it, compared to the none I had before. Again, it worked as birth control...but the side effects had a huge impact on my life.

December 23, 2014 1:02 PM