User Reviews for Colesevelam

Also known as: Welchol

Learn more about Colesevelam.

Colesevelam Review Summary

9.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 20 medications used in the treatment of Diarrhea, Chronic.

Reviews for Colesevelam to treat Diarrhea, Chronic

"I had my gall bladder out in 2000. Then started the dreaded diarrhea! I would be getting ready to leave for work and a simple cough or sneeze would send me running for the the shower because I had accidentally leaked. I got to the point I couldn't take it anymore! It was truly ruining my life I had seriously considered something I won't mention here because my life was ruined with a cough or sneeze or lifting an object I was at my end. I started doing research on my own and found Welchol. I mentioned it to my Dr. On my next visit and she prescribed it. I've never been happier in my life!!!!! It helped a lot I had insurance then but unfortunately I haven't had insurance in 3 years so honestly I have to choose food or liquid poo!"

Sande1325 August 22, 2015

"I have bile salt malasorbtion colitis due to a right hemicolectomy years ago and after several more operations and only been given codeine to help slow things down .I have tried questran and colestid but found them gave me sickness. My new consultant recommended these but warned that they were hard to find. But they have completely given me my life back. I never thought that I would be pain free and diahorea free. My only problem is my chemist finds it hard to get them for me and the two other chemists do not keep them on their list. They are my life saver and I can now finally eat a whole meal!!!"

foxy27 May 25, 2015

"I had my gall bladder removed in 2007. Afterwards life was miserable! My GI dr had no real explanation and after few tests put me on cholestramine powder and life was good. But after 10 years and i am someone who travels frequently and also a volunteer firefighter it was bothersome to have a juice and bottle to mix the powder every morning. Also the meds didnt always provide 24 hr relief if i wasnt able to take dose at the same time everyday. I finally checked on welchol and although pricey after just 2 wks and 1 pill daily its almost like a miracle pill!! I can now say life is great!! No break through random episodes of diarrhea!!! Im now more relaxed to travel and enjoy not worrying if ill have an accident!!!!"

Yay for me November 22, 2014

Welchol (colesevelam): "Love Welchol...... Thanks to my family doctor I can feel normal again"

Soccer mom for 3 October 27, 2014

Welchol (colesevelam): "After 41 years of horrible pain, diarrhea and incontinency, I met a GI Dr. Who Ordered Welchol. I thought he was nuts. Within 4 days I was normal. I would willing mortgage my house to pay for this medicine. Max dose 6/day. I now have a Life. It's so nice not to be told I was nuts, nervous, anxious, need a shrink and all the other crap I listened to for 41 years. I have been fine for almost 6 years with only 2 one day relapses. My gallbladder is fine. I am one happy camper. True story folks."

Tin Type lizzie October 22, 2014

"I had my appendix removed along with some bowel some large and small intestines AND an ovary( due to infection... I was full of it... another story) and after 2 months of explosive diarrhea I to was given LODALIS (Canadian version of Colesevelam) I only take 1 a day but 2 if I go on road trips and I really don't eat because I'm afraid I will have to go but after reading these stories I will eat again. Thanks."

stefanny August 26, 2014

Welchol (colesevelam): "I had my gall bladder removed in 2011. I was planning my life around a restroom and it was affecting my social life. I would not go on trips, and did not want to go to anyone's house to eat for fear of an episode. Welchol has been a miracle for me. I only take them as I need them. Sometimes even 1 or 2 a week. It is very expensive, so I'm glad I don't have to take them everyday."

what the heck January 31, 2014

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Welchol (colesevelam): "I have had severe diarrhea for years after getting gall bladder removed. Had many tests run, tried everything. Eat, bathroom, eat, bathroom I was miserable. I signed up for medication study program after trying many different studies a wonderful caring nurse who led the studies suggested this medicine. WOW, I'm living again. I was spending a large amount of my life in the ladies room now I'm regular. They prescribed me three pills a day it caused consipation. One a day every morning keeps me regular. What a lifesaver, I was miserable."

wezzie (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 27, 2014

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Welchol (colesevelam): "Gall bladder was removed in 1994. Ever since then severe diarrhea has been mostly on sometimes off. Many meds later and after seeing GI specialist my primary care physician prescribed Welchol. Great results! I take 6 pills in a divided dose. I still take 1 anti-diarrheal and 'everything' is better now."

BPoppe (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 24, 2013

Welchol (colesevelam): "Diagnosed at 18, went on until 28. I had a miserable existence for 10 years. 5 minutes after eating, I better be near a toilet. Gastroenterologists tested and tried so many different things with no success. Told my GI I was having a substantially lower quality of life with this problem. He prescribed me Welchol. The next day, I enjoyed my first meal in years and cried. Truly was a miracle pill for me."

Anonymous August 19, 2013

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Welchol (colesevelam): "2 days before Christmas I came down with diarrhea and it continued to get worse. Many trips to the Drs and hospital and finally after 4 months was sent to a Specialist. He put me on 6 pills a day, 625 mg Welchol. I had gone from a size 20 to a size 12, no energy, headaches, pains and shakes (from diarrhea). This medication has worked wonders for me. I am so happy that I don't have to look for the nearest bathroom and stay close to it any longer. I have had no side effects either. I have gained 2 pounds too. I take all 6 pills at one time about 4 hours after my morning medicines. Welchol works wonders for me."

Swamp Mama (taken for less than 1 month) May 31, 2013

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Welchol (colesevelam): "Doctor said this will help my blood pressure, high cholesterol and diarrhea. I also had gall bladder removed. It works. I'm 69 and plan to stay on it. Tired of looking for restrooms."

Sharonbelle (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 23, 2013

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Welchol (colesevelam): "After 11 years, one pill this morning. Just ate lunch, no diarrhea yet. Maybe I can start living again."

old bull (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2012

Welchol (colesevelam): "Had my gallbladder taken out, got chronic diarreha immediately even by just sipping water. I started off with 2 pills 3x a day, then got too constipated then was able to keep lowering the dose until one pill works for everyday use, but no greasy foods for me. Thanks to Welchol, I can enjoy life again and not live it in the bathroom."

welcol the works (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 4, 2012

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Welchol (colesevelam): "I have a similar experience to other reviewers. I had my gallbladder removed in 2002. And have had irritable bowel syndrome for 15 years, with each year it seems to get worse. I couldn't tolerate spending 1/2 my day in the bathroom. It was so awful that I looked for where the bathroom was at a restaurant before I ordered, just so I knew where to go when the meal was done. When the stomach cramps and the, "oh poop, I gotta poop" feeling came on. By the 2nd day of taking Welchol, it started working for me. I only went to the bathroom once, the entire day! For me, that was a miracle. I still try not to eat trigger foods or drink coffee (I LOVE coffee, but my stomach thinks otherwise) But at least I can live a normal life again, something I had forgotten about."

luv_the_mtns April 18, 2012

110 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Welchol (colesevelam): "I got my gallbladder removed a little over 2 years ago. I could not eat anything. Most drinks would even make me sick. I have seen several doctors, but the GI doctor gave me Welchol and I take two 625mg pills twice a day with food. I no longer have to watch what I eat. I have been prescribed several meds prior to Welchol, but nothing helped. 4 pills sounds like a lot, but if needed I can even take 6 pills per day. I never have to take more than 4 though. Ask your doctor for these. You will not be sorry!"

snookie95 April 16, 2012

Welchol (colesevelam): "I had my gall bladder out in 1998. I suffered with the diarrhea 5-8 times a day and was miserable. What is even worse, I am obese and so doctors didn't believe me that I was having watery diarrhea so often. I didn't get prescribed anything until 2011 so 13 years of suffering. I was first given Colestid but found I could not tolerate the powder. A new doctor prescribed Welchol. At first I only needed to take 4 a day and it worked. But now I find that sometimes the 6 a day doesn't completely work so I believe I have something else going on-lactose or gluten allergy maybe. I have to take the Welchol on time 3 times a day or the next day I am back to square one. I take 2 big tablets, 3 times a day."

techgurl1988 January 7, 2012

Welchol (colesevelam): "I had diarrhea for a year and a half following gall bladder removal. I am so grateful to be able to eat without running to the bathroom within ten minutes. The day after I began taking Welchol, I won a dualthlon, probably because I didn't need to use the restroom and I ate a decent breakfast. Thanks for giving me my life back!"

Anonymous November 21, 2011

Welchol (colesevelam): "Just had gall bladder removed and then came the runs that won't stop for days. Started on Welchol and 30 mins later I was normal. It's great."

Anonymous September 21, 2011

Welchol (colesevelam): "After I had my gallbladder out, I had bile salts diarrhea - the as-soon-as-you-eat-your-body-fire hoses-it-out sort. Very uncomfortable, and I lost about 40 pounds before my doctor finally prescribed Welchol. I take one at breakfast and one with dinner (just before the meal - not hours, which is very handy), and it has worked miracles. Highly recommend talking to your doctor if after your gallbladder surgery you're trying to live on dry toast."

Colleesue September 23, 2010

93 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Welchol (colesevelam): "Did not need to take full dose of six tablets daily - only one tablet each morning and years of "dumping" syndrome following meals has completely stopped! Fabulous, unexpected results.......love my GI doctor for prescribing this medicine!"

Anonymous May 7, 2010

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Welchol (colesevelam): "This pill is not taking away my Irritable Bowel Syndrome but it gives me loads of energy. I LOVE IT."

jodiecheri November 13, 2009

Welchol (colesevelam): "This works for diarrhea after gall bladder removal. I am so thankful for those of you who wrote comments, it spurred me to ask my doctor for a prescription. All I take is two pills with breakfast a day, sometimes only one pill. There are no side effects, and it has relieved my sometimes 5 times a day bathroom runs and given me my normal life back!"

Anonymous October 28, 2009

Welchol (colesevelam): "I spent two years with chronic diarrhea. After I had major surgery, the surgeon noted that my gall bladder was very scarred. When my general practitioner saw this, he suggested I might be suffering what he called "chronic dump" (leaking gall bladder) which might be causing my...well, chronic dump! He gave me a prescription for Welchol (1 per day). He said that it was a low dosage of the drug and I shouldn't have any problem with side effects (I do take all my daily vitamins and supplements about 4 hours after the Welchol for absorption reasons). Not only has this drug worked wonders for me, I only take it as needed."

Anonymous January 8, 2009

121 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Welchol (colesevelam): "I have had diarrhea every morning with pain. After reading about gall bladder removal I found that some try Welchol to help because it is a bile sequestor. It works great for me. I went to a gastroenterologist and told him about my findings and he said "Congratulations" you diagnosed yourself. He gave me a years prescription for Welchol. I take three in the morning and am doing quite well. Wish I had known about this several years ago. Before Welchol I could barely leave my home before noon. Now I can travel again. So far, no side effects. Thank Goodness."

Nanny B November 7, 2008

153 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Learn more about Diarrhea, Chronic