User Reviews for Colesevelam

Also known as: Welchol

Learn more about Colesevelam.

Colesevelam review summary

9.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 22 medications used in the treatment of Diarrhea, Chronic.

Reviews for Colesevelam to treat Diarrhea, Chronic

Review by what the heck: User Rating:

Welchol (colesevelam): I had my gall bladder removed in 2011. I was planning my life around a restroom and it was affecting my social life. I would not go on trips, and did not want to go to anyone's house to eat for fear of an episode. Welchol has been a miracle for me. I only take them as I need them. Sometimes even 1 or 2 a week. It is very expensive, so I'm glad I don't have to take them everyday.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 31, 2014 2:51 PM
Review by wezzie (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Welchol (colesevelam): I have had severe diarrhea for years after getting gall bladder removed. Had many tests run, tried everything. Eat, bathroom, eat, bathroom I was miserable. I signed up for medication study program after trying many different studies a wonderful caring nurse who led the studies suggested this medicine. WOW, I'm living again. I was spending a large amount of my life in the ladies room now I'm regular. They prescribed me three pills a day it caused consipation. One a day every morning keeps me regular. What a lifesaver, I was miserable.

January 27, 2014 10:38 PM
Review by BPoppe (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Welchol (colesevelam): Gall bladder was removed in 1994. Ever since then severe diarrhea has been mostly on sometimes off. Many meds later and after seeing GI specialist my primary care physician prescribed Welchol. Great results! I take 6 pills in a divided dose. I still take 1 anti-diarrheal and 'everything' is better now.

August 24, 2013 4:15 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Welchol (colesevelam): Diagnosed at 18, went on until 28. I had a miserable existence for 10 years. 5 minutes after eating, I better be near a toilet. Gastroenterologists tested and tried so many different things with no success. Told my GI I was having a substantially lower quality of life with this problem. He prescribed me Welchol. The next day, I enjoyed my first meal in years and cried. Truly was a miracle pill for me.

August 19, 2013 6:48 PM
Review by Swamp Mama (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Welchol (colesevelam): 2 days before Christmas I came down with diarrhea and it continued to get worse. Many trips to the Drs and hospital and finally after 4 months was sent to a Specialist. He put me on 6 pills a day, 625 mg Welchol. I had gone from a size 20 to a size 12, no energy, headaches, pains and shakes (from diarrhea). This medication has worked wonders for me. I am so happy that I don't have to look for the nearest bathroom and stay close to it any longer. I have had no side effects either. I have gained 2 pounds too. I take all 6 pills at one time about 4 hours after my morning medicines. Welchol works wonders for me.

May 31, 2013 11:19 AM
Review by Sharonbelle (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Welchol (colesevelam): Doctor said this will help my blood pressure, high cholesterol and diarrhea. I also had gall bladder removed. It works. I'm 69 and plan to stay on it. Tired of looking for restrooms.

February 23, 2013 2:52 PM
Review by old bull (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Welchol (colesevelam): After 11 years, one pill this morning. Just ate lunch, no diarrhea yet. Maybe I can start living again.

July 17, 2012 12:28 PM
Review by welcol the works (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Welchol (colesevelam): Had my gallbladder taken out, got chronic diarreha immediately even by just sipping water. I started off with 2 pills 3x a day, then got too constipated then was able to keep lowering the dose until one pill works for everyday use, but no greasy foods for me. Thanks to Welchol, I can enjoy life again and not live it in the bathroom.

July 4, 2012 11:23 AM
Review by luv_the_mtns: User Rating:

Welchol (colesevelam): I have a similar experience to other reviewers. I had my gallbladder removed in 2002. And have had irritable bowel syndrome for 15 years, with each year it seems to get worse. I couldn't tolerate spending 1/2 my day in the bathroom. It was so awful that I looked for where the bathroom was at a restaurant before I ordered, just so I knew where to go when the meal was done. When the stomach cramps and the, "oh poop, I gotta poop" feeling came on. By the 2nd day of taking Welchol, it started working for me. I only went to the bathroom once, the entire day! For me, that was a miracle. I still try not to eat trigger foods or drink coffee (I LOVE coffee, but my stomach thinks otherwise) But at least I can live a normal life again, something I had forgotten about.

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 18, 2012 9:42 AM
Review by snookie95: User Rating:

Welchol (colesevelam): I got my gallbladder removed a little over 2 years ago. I could not eat anything. Most drinks would even make me sick. I have seen several doctors, but the GI doctor gave me Welchol and I take two 625mg pills twice a day with food. I no longer have to watch what I eat. I have been prescribed several meds prior to Welchol, but nothing helped. 4 pills sounds like a lot, but if needed I can even take 6 pills per day. I never have to take more than 4 though. Ask your doctor for these. You will not be sorry!

April 16, 2012 10:09 AM
Review by techgurl1988: User Rating:

Welchol (colesevelam): I had my gall bladder out in 1998. I suffered with the diarrhea 5-8 times a day and was miserable. What is even worse, I am obese and so doctors didn't believe me that I was having watery diarrhea so often. I didn't get prescribed anything until 2011 so 13 years of suffering. I was first given Colestid but found I could not tolerate the powder. A new doctor prescribed Welchol. At first I only needed to take 4 a day and it worked. But now I find that sometimes the 6 a day doesn't completely work so I believe I have something else going on-lactose or gluten allergy maybe. I have to take the Welchol on time 3 times a day or the next day I am back to square one. I take 2 big tablets, 3 times a day.

January 7, 2012 8:30 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Welchol (colesevelam): I had diarrhea for a year and a half following gall bladder removal. I am so grateful to be able to eat without running to the bathroom within ten minutes. The day after I began taking Welchol, I won a dualthlon, probably because I didn't need to use the restroom and I ate a decent breakfast. Thanks for giving me my life back!

November 21, 2011 9:59 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Welchol (colesevelam): Just had gall bladder removed and then came the runs that won't stop for days. Started on Welchol and 30 mins later I was normal. It's great.

September 21, 2011 9:26 PM
Review by Colleesue: User Rating:

Welchol (colesevelam): After I had my gallbladder out, I had bile salts diarrhea - the as-soon-as-you-eat-your-body-fire hoses-it-out sort. Very uncomfortable, and I lost about 40 pounds before my doctor finally prescribed Welchol. I take one at breakfast and one with dinner (just before the meal - not hours, which is very handy), and it has worked miracles. Highly recommend talking to your doctor if after your gallbladder surgery you're trying to live on dry toast.

71 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 23, 2010 8:48 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Welchol (colesevelam): Did not need to take full dose of six tablets daily - only one tablet each morning and years of "dumping" syndrome following meals has completely stopped! Fabulous, unexpected results.......love my GI doctor for prescribing this medicine!

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
May 7, 2010 10:02 AM
Review by jodiecheri: User Rating:

Welchol (colesevelam): This pill is not taking away my Irritable Bowel Syndrome but it gives me loads of energy. I LOVE IT.

November 13, 2009 5:32 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Welchol (colesevelam): This works for diarrhea after gall bladder removal. I am so thankful for those of you who wrote comments, it spurred me to ask my doctor for a prescription. All I take is two pills with breakfast a day, sometimes only one pill. There are no side effects, and it has relieved my sometimes 5 times a day bathroom runs and given me my normal life back!

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 28, 2009 10:27 AM

Welchol (colesevelam): I spent two years with chronic diarrhea. After I had major surgery, the surgeon noted that my gall bladder was very scarred. When my general practitioner saw this, he suggested I might be suffering what he called "chronic dump" (leaking gall bladder) which might be causing my...well, chronic dump! He gave me a prescription for Welchol (1 per day). He said that it was a low dosage of the drug and I shouldn't have any problem with side effects (I do take all my daily vitamins and supplements about 4 hours after the Welchol for absorption reasons). Not only has this drug worked wonders for me, I only take it as needed.

106 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 8, 2009 4:33 PM
Review by Nanny B: User Rating:

Welchol (colesevelam): I have had diarrhea every morning with pain. After reading about gall bladder removal I found that some try Welchol to help because it is a bile sequestor. It works great for me. I went to a gastroenterologist and told him about my findings and he said "Congratulations" you diagnosed yourself. He gave me a years prescription for Welchol. I take three in the morning and am doing quite well. Wish I had known about this several years ago. Before Welchol I could barely leave my home before noon. Now I can travel again. So far, no side effects. Thank Goodness.

132 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 7, 2008 12:53 PM