User Reviews for Codeine/promethazine

Also known as: Codeine Phosphate-Promethazine HCl, Phenergan with Codeine, Promethazine HCl and Codeine Phosphate, Promethazine HCl with Codeine, Promethazine with Codeine

Learn more about Codeine/promethazine.

Codeine/promethazine review summary

9.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 979 medications used in the treatment of Cough.

Reviews for Codeine/promethazine to treat Cough

Review by JND 2014:

I had upper respiratory infection along with a runny nose and a throat infection. This medicine does its miracles. For 2 nights I wasn't able to sleep and I tried over the counter meds however nothing made it better. After I saw my doctor he prescribed me this syrup along with amoxicilin and wow I must say I slept amazingly great and woke up feeling much better. I only took the syrup at night since its not recommended to drive or to use at work. I don't abuse of it, I only took 1 tsp at night with some Sprite for 3 days and my cough got better day by day. This medicine will put you to sleep and it will stop the urge of coughing. Only use at home before bed.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 16, 2014 9:57 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Have been taking this medication for 2 days for cough associated with upper respiratory infection. It does make me sleepy but does not alleviate my cough. Unfortunately, still up 2-3 times during the night violently coughing.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 13, 2014 9:51 AM

Review by pinkipod:

Had a very bad cough/cold/flu for almost three weeks; nothing over the counter helped; finally prescribed this cough medication and yes, I actually slept all night and didn't cough at all until it started to wear off but it is very sedating.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 3, 2014 9:38 PM

Review by Bob1823 (taken for less than 1 month):

Promethazine with Codeine (codeine / promethazine): Excellent medicine, stops the cough, give it 1/2 hour to kick in, then it will put you to sleep.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 24, 2013 5:20 PM

Review by Sam from El Paso, Texas (taken for less than 1 month):

Promethazine with Codeine (codeine / promethazine): The combination of antihistamine benefits along with the codeine to calm the coughing is a necessary combination to help the healing process. Recommend only in uncontrollable coughing spells this combination.

December 28, 2012 1:14 AM

Review by Breathing Freely:

Have had a cold for a little over a week now. Yes, I had it during Christmas, and I'll still have it for New Year's Eve. For 3 or 4 nights in a row, I couldn't sleep, due to a tickling in my throat when I would lie down at night. I would cough violently, attempting to stop the tickle. I was so exhausted by the time I went to the doctor for help. I'd tried everything over-the-counter with dextromethorphan HBr (Mucinex Fast-MAX) and pseudoephedrine (Sudafed) but nothing was touching it. Thanks to one tiny teaspoon of this prescription elixir, I've just enjoyed 10 hours of solid (uninterrupted) sleep! Hallelujah! I didn't wake up even once to cough! I'm so glad there's still something out there that works!

December 29, 2011 11:11 AM

I have been coughing for almost 2 weeks unable to sleep at night because of the cough. Doctor says it is bronchitis along with a cold. I got this cough medicine and I was able to sleep AND I felt much better if for no other reason than the sleep, but the cough is much better too!

May 8, 2011 10:41 PM

Review by syruplover:

Promethazine with Codeine (codeine / promethazine): Suppresses cough significantly and definitely helps when it comes to upper respiratory congestion. Only downsides include extreme itchiness and sensitivity to light in the average normally healthy adult.

December 22, 2010 4:46 PM

Review by juliewannabebetter:

I just got this prescribed to me this afternoon. I have been really sick for a week and not sleeping well. Turns out I had a sinus and double ear infection. I usually don't like anything with codeine because it makes me nauseous. But so far no nausea, not helping a whole lot with the coughing but I don't really care either.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 19, 2010 6:03 PM

Review by Smeegle:

Phenergan with Codeine (codeine / promethazine): This combination really helps me control my cough at night so that I am able to get a good night's rest.

January 31, 2010 9:53 PM

Phenergan with Codeine (codeine / promethazine): I usually only use the codeine syrup when I experience a dry, unproductive cough and even then I try to only take it in the evening so that I might be able to sleep better. I have frequent lung infections and unfortunately this often develops into dry coughing spasms.

August 1, 2008 8:55 PM

Review by Ray~:

I have had a horrible cold and cough on and off for a couple of months and the doctor tried every cough medication in the book that you could possibly name. Finally he tried me with this promethazine and codeine syrup and I could not believe how much better I felt. I would recommend to anyone with a severe cough and cold.

April 22, 2008 3:02 AM

I came down with a cough that would not quit this winter. The doctor thought it might be seasonal allergies in conjunction with other issues. He gave me promethazine with codeine and it worked great. I was able to sleep through teh night (finally!!) and the cough finally went away. it was not a cure but at least it helped me sleep!

February 26, 2008 3:34 PM