User Reviews for Clonazepam

Also known as: Klonopin, Klonopin Wafer

Learn more about Clonazepam.

Clonazepam Review Summary

9.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 79 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Clonazepam to treat Insomnia

"I can't believe that there can be a clonazapam board without anyone bringing up the physical dependence that comes with this drug, and the difficult long withdrawal that produces greater insomnia and anxiety than the insomnia and anxiety that led to starting the medication. That said, when taking it, it works. It, like most, if not all benzos, actually start messing up the natural sleep architecture. The longer one takes this, and the higher the dosage, makes for a very difficult withdrawal, physical and psychological. Never, after having taken this medication regularly, suddenly stop. If you do, within three days or so, you'll know why I post the warning. I take 2mg per 24 hours, and have taken it, with one difficult break, 9 years."

Wind-Up Bird June 27, 2015

"For years I've been waking-up up to 40 times at night. No issue falling asleep but would wake up constantly & remember my dreams extremely well. Often unpleasant. I was totally exhausted and had to face busy days as a working mum. I was sent to a neurologist, put on antidepressants, finally had a polysomnography showing I had an irregular REM sleep. For an unknow reason (still unknow until this day) I wake up for a few seconds and go back to sleep, constantly. Doctor put me on Hypovase which didn't make much difference. I've now been on Clonazepam for a few months (from 0.25mg to 1g now) It allows me to stay asleep deeply for up to 4-6 hours on good days. It is not perfect but definitely helping. No side effects either. I feel much better."

AlexandraBresse (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 4, 2015

"I was taking Xanax 2mg 3x a day for bout 10 yrs due to a motor vehicle accident with panic attacks that mimic a heart attack along w enxiety it definitely knocked me out at night but I recently got off em weened of but still feeling withdrawals a month later,it gave me the worst insomnia and thought I would die from it,I was finally given Klonapin 1mg in morn and at night and I am finally sleeping again and my circadian rythem is getting back to somewhat normal,just hoping when I get off these the insomnia and benzo withdrawals don't return,but again working great so far...."

Thankfully Thankful March 3, 2015

"My rheumatologist feels that this medication allows me to sleep without extreme night time pain. If I do not get sleep, I am unable to function during the day. This medicine allows me to sleep without pain causing tears every time I turn over. Sorry, I have had none of the side affects except for the ability to sleep for 8 hours---the reason I agreed to take this medication. Quality of life trumps pain and the chance that I will have any of these side effects. "

LindyLou1949 (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 7, 2015

"It will probably stop working at some point to help you fall asleep. It did for me."

MacMystie January 24, 2015

"I have had chronic insomnia for 15 years. Tried many things...Benadryl pills at bedtime, Roserem and melatonin, all of which worked for a little while, and then stopped. I was prescribed 1 mg of clonazepam an hour before bedtime, and I find it a miracle pill. I take it a few nights a week and I have had wonderful results. Not being able to fall asleep is terrible for ones life. It leaves you irritable, and unable to function the next day. This medication was truly a lifesaver for me!"

Sunnyholly September 10, 2014

174 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was talked into Klonopin by my doctor. I was quite resistant to benzodiazepe medications. I take 2 mg at night before bed. This medication has been a life-saver for me. My doctor asked that on some nights that I go down to 1.5mg in order to keep the medication working well. Have been taking it for three years this way, and it works. Sleep is so important, and I have tried everything. Good medication for insomnia."

Johnnie2 July 23, 2014

166 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Just went back on this because of anxiety and insomnia. All my llfe I haven't slept well and have woken up anywhere from tired to absolutely exhausted. This will sound extreme but it has saved my life. I now feel 'normal' as I can cope with my anxiety, have less muscle tension and much, much better sleep so I can function during the day. It's too bad it's so look down on as a medication. It's cheap and very effective but doctors, my experience in Canada, seem to only see it as something to be abused."

missmarple (taken for less than 1 month) June 5, 2014

121 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"This is the best pill I've ever taken for sleeping. I've had insomnia for 6 years now. I got prescribed clonazepam, although my doc said it was highly addictive, because nothing else would work. I was desperate (in the time of 12 months before I got on it, I was able to sleep more than 6 hrs maybe 5 nights only), so I decided to give it a try. IT IS A MIRACLE PILL! I can sleep again 8 hrs straight! I don't feel groggy, drowsy or sleepy AT ALL, actually quite the opposite! I have so much energy in the morning, I feel like a superman! I've been taking 0.75mg for two years now 3-4 times a week, and so far did not have to increase the dose! Give it a try, if nothing else helps. And I've tried EVERYTHING."

max1979 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 28, 2014

129 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I'm 25, female, full-time student and full-time worker, living in NYC. I've been fighting insomnia triggered by anxiety my entire life, but it was never an issue until I reached my mid-twenties. When I lay down, I get a series of panic attacks that can keep me awake the entire night. Lately, I've been going three days on ~5 hours of total sleep. I quit my job and my focus for school was diminished. I became scared and a total mess. I need proper sleep to be able to function the next day. I was recently prescribed Clonazepam through my psychiatrist and it is, seriously, a blessing from the universe. I take .5 mg when I start feeling sleepy and, within an hour, I'm in dreamland. I don't have to fight for sleep or get anxious about sleeping."

Outshineyourself (taken for less than 1 month) February 14, 2014

181 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have PTSD and have a lot of difficulty with falling asleep, staying asleep. One symptom is not reaching a deep sleep past REM, and having nightmares through-out the night, continually waking, panicked. I was prescribed a sleep med that made me some what relaxed, or I maybe only slept for four hours, and still having nightmares. This went on for months. I was prescribed Clonazepam and it has been a God-send. Not being able to sleep normally had a terrible affect on my daily life. I take it a few hours before bedtime, and when ready I lay down and sleep soundly, waking the next morning feeling relaxed, rejuvenated. I am able to return to a normal activities without the fatigue."

Greenbriar January 19, 2014

151 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"After four spinal fusions, I have chronic pain and chronic spasms. I've tried almost everything out there My doctor suggested 0.5mg of Clonazepam twice a day for spasm and sleep. It's worked wonders. Being able to get rest, makes everything else tolerable."

BobB. (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 29, 2013

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have struggled with moderate insomnia for years (can't fall asleep, wake up 3 hours later unable to go back to sleep, etc). Although some nights are better than others, it has always been a major influence in my life. Lunesta worked well, allowing me to get about 6.5 to 7 hours, but it costs a FORTUNE. Just started clonazepam about a month ago and WOW! I only take it 3-4 nights a week to avoid dependency and my life is a lot better. As a side note, I do not suffer from anxiety or depression, I just can't turn off my brain EVER."

Grumpy Smurf (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 19, 2013

185 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I've had insomnia for 10 years; couldn't shut my brain off! My uncle is a doctor & flipped when I told him I hadn't slept in 16 days. He immediately prescribed tricyclic antidepressants & sent me for a sleep study; in only 4 hours of sleep, I woke up 69 times. The antidepressants made me suicidal. Everything else worked for just a few weeks. I started getting depressed, panic attacks, anxiety, quit working, having seizures, became a shut in, cried every single day, then became suicidal. The only thing that stopped me was the thought of my family finding me. I was then prescribed Ambien & it worked well but made me hungover. Amitriptyline worked but gave me bad muscle spasms. Finally, I was put on 2mg Klonopin. I can sleep now!"

FinallySleeping (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 13, 2013

116 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"It helps me with several things my insomnia my anxiety and depression the only side affect I get is increased appetite"

normanlover November 7, 2013

"I'm on klonopin 1mg 3x a day. Still can't sleep. I was put on Klonopin for anxiety years ago. My doctor added one pill at dinner to help sleep. Thus 1mg 3x a day. Still mind wonders and cannot sleep. I was put on Seroquel for insomnia. Worked well. Lost my insurance and job. Now back to being up all day and night. Seroquel without insurance is $15.50 a pill. Sleepless in Ohio."

KTOHIO October 21, 2013

"I have chronic insomnia, depression and anxiety. This is the only medicine that relaxes me so I can fall asleep. I take anywhere from 1-2mg about 3-4 nights a week. Works fast as I dissolve it under my tongue. No side effects in the morning. I have to be very careful when I take it in the day for my anxiety because it can make you very sleepy. This is the best medicine for insomnia."

jade 007 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 9, 2013

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Recently, I'd experienced insomnia for 4 weeks. It'd made me literally nonfunctional at work and very easily irritable. My doctor prescribed 0.5 mg clonazepam per night. I have been taking it for 5 days now and it is doing miracles. My only concern is it's being habit-forming. I am not sure how long I should continue taking it. Regardless, I am very satisfied with it so far."

Anonymous September 15, 2013

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Thank you everyone for your helpful comments. I've been suffering from insomnia since I was practically born and it gotten worse about 3 months ago down to a depression. So I've been introduced to the best sleeping medication ever and for the first time in my life I'm actually sleeping like a baby. I'm taking half of 0.5mg a night and I'm no longer this grumpiest girl in the morning that I've always been!"

Millenium June 8, 2013

98 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"This medication has truly saved my life...THE BEST AROUND....HANDS DOWN!!!"

julopez1220 May 16, 2013

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have suffered from insomnia most of my adult life. Like many here, I was prescribed clonazepam 1-2 mg. at night. I have never increased the dose after years of use. In fact, my doctor recommended that I go down by .5 m.g. as often I felt comfortable to do so in order to reduce the chances of becoming tolerant to the medicine. Works like a charm after many years of use. I wish there was something else, but this has become the best for my insomnia. I tried many other things."

Mike021 May 16, 2013

102 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I've been using Klonopin for about 4 years. I take it when I awake in the middle of the night and can't get back to sleep. 0.5 mg gives me about 3 hours sleep and much more if I've not been taking it for a few days. Recently, I've been weaning myself by reducing the dosage to 0.25 mg. This weaning would be more difficult if I weren't retired so that I can get more sleep just by staying in bed longer. Not sleeping is much more adverse to my health than taking a moderate dose of Klonopin."

jpsousa (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 13, 2013

Klonopin (clonazepam): "I have severe and chronic insomnia that has caused me little (if any) sleep per night, leading to confusion and irritability in the morning, leading to delirium, if prolonged exposure to sleep deprivation was to happen to me. My doctor first prescribed me Seroquel (quetiapine) for my insomnia, which worked a little bit TOO well, as it was too heavily sedating, and left me with too many "morning-after" effects. At my doctor's reluctance (due to substance abuse history in not me, but my family) I was given a prescription to a starting dose of 1 mg a night of Klonopin. This was amazing. As opposed to being forced to sleep by Seroquel, Klonopin lulled me to sleep. It's a wonderful medicine."

Pill Pharmer (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 30, 2012

93 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Klonopin (clonazepam): "Klonopin is the only medication that works for my insomnia. I've been on pretty much every medicine for insomnia at one point or another. I have OCD and the reason I can't sleep is because the obsessive thoughts won't stop ruminating in my head. When I take Klonopin, the thoughts are no longer intrusive."

Anonymous April 10, 2012

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Klonopin (clonazepam): "I have had insomnia for over 20 years. It had caused my overall health to decline, including chronic migraines, and depression. I have tried several medications but nothing worked. Other medicines would either make me anxious, groggy during the day, or have no affect. Finally, six years ago I was prescribed Klonopin. It was a miracle, finally I felt rested and happy. I was no longer tired, anxious or depressed. It also helped with my migraines and seizures. I know many people worry about staying on it long term, but to me the benefits out way any side effects (none found). To me, I'd rather take Klonopin the rest of my life, just like those who take aspirins daily for their heart, because it allows me to live a happy, productive life."

Sleepytime1234 March 22, 2012

114 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Learn more about Insomnia