User Reviews for Clonazepam

Also known as: Klonopin, Klonopin Wafer

Learn more about Clonazepam.

Clonazepam Rating Summary

8.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 111 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Clonazepam to treat Insomnia

"I am 75 year old and have taken Clonazepam 0.5 mg tablet for about 4 years for restless legs and insomnia. I take 1/2 of the tablet every night, along with vitamin D and magnesium & Aleve for arthritis pain. It has been very effective for me, it lets me sleep with no hangover but I do have vivid dreams every night, not nightmares though.. On occasion I have taken a full tablet but I keep them cut in half and usually only need the 1/2 dose. My new doctor is taking me off of them and putting me on Mirapex for restless legs and melatonin to sleep. Melatonin has never helped before but I will try again."

Grandma Wendy April 23, 2016

"Totally useless drug - had no effect on my insomnia whatsoever."

cianpars (taken for less than 1 month) April 22, 2016

"I have taken Klonopin for twenty years. Sadly, over the years I became resistant to the lower doses. I am extremely dependent on it and it became "necessary" for the dosage to be steadily increased over the years. I was all of the way up to 5 mg at night. This had disastrous side effects...extreme confussion being the most alarming. It was difficult to start to titrate down slowly. After many months, I was down to 3 mg. and then down to 2.5 mg. It was not easy and there were many restless nights filled with anxiety. Over the last 6 months, I have decreased down to 1.25 mg. I am struggling but determined to get off within the next year. Do NOT let this happen to you!"

70 year old female (taken for 10 years or more) April 18, 2016

"Good experience - no bad side effects."

Proud Maggie April 15, 2016

"I've been taking clonazopam intermittently for 15 mos. It was prescribed to me by a neurologist for insomnia, nocturnal myoclonic jerks, and restless leg attacks. 0.5 mg has worked well with fighting off the nerve attacks and wide awake feeling to fall asleep faster and stay asleep longer than I can on my own. I also used it for longer sleep as needed for a special event such as traveling out of town. Finally I was sent for a sleep study last month and found that I have severe sleep apnea while sleeping on my back and mild on my side. I snore loud off and on but would have no idea other than my spouse telling me. I have fragmented sleep, some of it with vivid dreams. I hope to start c-pap therapy soon and then wean off clonazepam."

Hulda61 March 12, 2016

"One of the effective ones for insomnia...long acting. Actually, I was up 3 nights straight, had to take one 2mg or 2.5...caught up on major sleep. I can't say it's doing a 9pm to 7am. However, it's aiding me in getting sleep. I may need to take it properly. Only downfall, I don't like downers. Also, it doesn't cause hunger but it relaxes me enough to indulge in what I'd normally decline doing. Minor after effect of low energy."

Realitygenerics (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 3, 2016

"I have bad insomnia and ADHD. My first time taking it was tonight and I was hoping to fall asleep early (I was already very exhausted) to wake up for my 6 am shift in a few hours however I was filled with energy within an hour after taking it and have been up since I'm very upset! Work today will be horrible and I'm not looking forward to it at all!"

slimy potato (taken for less than 1 month) February 22, 2016

"This drug actually does wonders for insomnia. I took 1 mg at bedtime. Then the doctor abruptly stopped it and sent me into orbit. I didn't get over 2 hr sleep a night for practically and entire month. It's addictive I think. But what is worse is it may cause Alzheimer's disease if used over 6 months. I still had to go back on it to get sleep. I'm in the process of tapering off and getting sleep therapy. This is a very dangerous drug to only be used under 3 months."

MCSEVA (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 7, 2016

"I have been taking Klonipin, off and on, as need for the past 20 years. I suffer from anxiety, mild depression as a result of anxiety and severe bouts of insomnia from the two. One, I have NEVER experienced any bad withdraws when I don't take it. I usually go through a handful of episodes a year with this issue and Klonipin has always pulled me out of it. Once I'm back to feeling normal, I stop taking (sometimes I wean off, sometimes I don't, just depends). When all is said and done I applaud those who can go through life without any help but there are many of us who do for many reasons, diabetes, high blood pressure, migraines, bi polar, etc. So if there is something out there that can help us live a normal life, then why not."

Nickie Marie January 6, 2016

"Well I have been on this drug since 2009. I do not know I had an issue until I had a seizure after coming out of the shower. I had all kinds of tests, and then went to a sleep lab. There they said I never entered into REM. So I was totally sleep deprived. I was put on .5mg and it did the trick. I had the real dream and restless leg syndrome where my wife was scared of me. I would yell kick and literally act my dream out and I would wake up exhausted. Since 2009 I'm getting roughly 6 hr of sleep a night. It is awesome. Still have some nights, once a month depending on stress. I travel internationally and my sleep schedule is messed up so I'm sure it doesn't help. But it has worked for me thus far."

RealDream (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 4, 2016

"Don't start this drug for sleep or anxiety!! It's the most addicting drug on the face of this earth. It's more addicting than heroin. I was given this drug and OMG it made everything so much better. Sleep, no anxiety then WHAM it quit working. I had to up the dose from .5 mg to 2 mg then when 2 mg was no longer working my psyche Rx me seraquel bc I couldn't sleep. BIG mistake now I'm dependent on yet another drug that quit working last year ( after 10 years) now I'm on disability for IBS, IC and pelvic floor dysfunction bc I took these drugs. Oh did I add I had to be put on another drug to help sleep so I'm polydrugged. What I'd do to have my life back. Don't ruin your life. Klonopin is poison! "

Sandi1954 January 4, 2016

"I have spent years not getting proper sleep. I went to visit the hospital and the Doctor Stuck me on Clonazepam when I told him about my sleeping issues. Since I have taken it I have been able to sleep good. Still a bit early to tell but so far I give it a 7 out of 10."

No-Sleep-Cadance (taken for less than 1 month) December 10, 2015

"I started with a low 0.5 - 1 mg dose and would take it as needed for insomnia/anxiety. I hated the thought of being dependent so I fought taking it consistently. I also started taking higher doses. All of that caused me to to have bad days and good days... but not worth the dependency. Eventually I quit cold turkey. It took 10 awful days to get off it but then I was ok. The problem was I wasn't sleeping again. The insomnia was making my life miserable. I revisited klonopin and decided to take the same small dosage every single night of .25 per night and the results have been amazing The dose is so small that I have no negative side effects and I have been sleeping great for 6 months now. I'm probably dependent now but it's worth the sleep"

Rob2 December 6, 2015

"Worked great for sleep during menopause. Started to get boils and I had never had them before in my life. They were awful. Had a staph infection. My immune system was compromised. As I weaned myself off my feet ached constantly. After 6 months off no more boils but feet still ache occasionally."

Anonymous November 15, 2015

"I was prescribed this drug after a car 1996 accident which I had several skull fractures and brain injuries etc. Was kept in coma for weeks to allow brain rest and healing. This drug has had me totally controlled as a hostage to this. 3 days ago I finally finished taking this drug after a 3 night reduction of med. and I am feeling weird yet not too bad either and am using 3mg melatonin twice a night and am getting some sleep w/o xanax!!!! I am free now and will not be a slave to this forever!"

Champion21 November 8, 2015

"Yes indeed, Clonazepam is a "wonder drug" for sleep (and anxiety); BUT, beware...if I can just save one person from this drug...YES!!! I ended up on this drug for 18 years and it took me four months of a slow taper to wean myself. During and after withdrawal, I had horrible side effects: nausea, insomnia, panic, loss of memory, etc. I have been totally off the drug for 8 weeks and my side effects are slowly going away but I still have a horrible metallic taste and smell. I'd try anything OTHER than a benzo. It is not worth the side effects. Look at the drug warnings; they state the drug is meant for SHORT TERM USE. Good luck."

zionfrost (taken for 10 years or more) October 1, 2015

"I have been using Clonazepam for insomnia and mild anxiety for the last 4 months and I can say that it is working miracles for me. I have been using a very very small dose - 0.25 mg in the evening for the first 3 months, now I am taking even less - 0.15 mg in the evening. I have 0.5 mg pills that I use to break into small pieces. The dosage is so small that I have no fear of becoming an addict. Even so, if my sleep and peace of mind mean being an addict, then I 'm more than happy to be one."

Jane Eyre September 28, 2015

"Took 2 mg dose to help me get on a normal sleep schedule. Had the best sleep ever in my life. The biggest problem with the drug is it is highly addictive and I went through extreme withdrawals coming off it. Reduced dosage .5mg every couple weeks until I was off it. Caused vomiting, heaving sweating, loss of appetite, etc. My advice use it on a strict schedule same time each night and slowing reduce dosage over time."

Ballington August 28, 2015

"Hi I have had insomnia since march last year and it turns into nervous or anxiety and then became panic attacks. Then I asked my wife to go with me in a doctor and it was psychiatrist because insomnia was in our mind and it does not mean that your crazy when you go to that doctor. My doctor gave me clonazepam or rivotril here in the phillipines.. First I take 2mg, 1mg and 0.5mg as of now. I take it in the morning when I needed it for anxiety panic attacks and add another .5mg if my attacks was strong. I take .5mg everynight for sleep since march last year. I don't know what to do if there is no rivotril or clanazepam in my life. So far the best medicine for me!!! Tnx to my Doctor"

djskratz (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 23, 2015

"I have to weigh in about this med. When you first start it, it is a wonder drug. At some point, you will either need more, or you will suffer from tolerance withdrawals. There are justifiable horror stories about this drug. Taking it for a week or two, no problem. More than 2 weeks, it's hard to get off it. I have been weaning off for about 4 months."

Be very careful (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 3, 2015

"I can't believe that there can be a clonazapam board without anyone bringing up the physical dependence that comes with this drug, and the difficult long withdrawal that produces greater insomnia and anxiety than the insomnia and anxiety that led to starting the medication. That said, when taking it, it works. It, like most, if not all benzos, actually start messing up the natural sleep architecture. The longer one takes this, and the higher the dosage, makes for a very difficult withdrawal, physical and psychological. Never, after having taken this medication regularly, suddenly stop. If you do, within three days or so, you'll know why I post the warning. I take 2mg per 24 hours, and have taken it, with one difficult break, 9 years."

Wind-Up Bird June 27, 2015

"For years I've been waking-up up to 40 times at night. No issue falling asleep but would wake up constantly & remember my dreams extremely well. Often unpleasant. I was totally exhausted and had to face busy days as a working mum. I was sent to a neurologist, put on antidepressants, finally had a polysomnography showing I had an irregular REM sleep. For an unknow reason (still unknow until this day) I wake up for a few seconds and go back to sleep, constantly. Doctor put me on Hypovase which didn't make much difference. I've now been on Clonazepam for a few months (from 0.25mg to 1g now) It allows me to stay asleep deeply for up to 4-6 hours on good days. It is not perfect but definitely helping. No side effects either. I feel much better."

AlexandraBresse (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 4, 2015

"I was taking Xanax 2mg 3x a day for bout 10 yrs due to a motor vehicle accident with panic attacks that mimic a heart attack along w enxiety it definitely knocked me out at night but I recently got off em weened of but still feeling withdrawals a month later,it gave me the worst insomnia and thought I would die from it,I was finally given Klonapin 1mg in morn and at night and I am finally sleeping again and my circadian rythem is getting back to somewhat normal,just hoping when I get off these the insomnia and benzo withdrawals don't return,but again working great so far...."

Thankfully Thankful March 3, 2015

"My rheumatologist feels that this medication allows me to sleep without extreme night time pain. If I do not get sleep, I am unable to function during the day. This medicine allows me to sleep without pain causing tears every time I turn over. Sorry, I have had none of the side affects except for the ability to sleep for 8 hours---the reason I agreed to take this medication. Quality of life trumps pain and the chance that I will have any of these side effects. "

LindyLou1949 (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 7, 2015

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"It will probably stop working at some point to help you fall asleep. It did for me."

MacMystie January 24, 2015