User Reviews for Clonazepam

Also known as: Klonopin, Klonopin Wafer

Learn more about Clonazepam.

Clonazepam review summary

9.1/10 Average Rating

Compare all 77 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Clonazepam to treat Insomnia

Review by Johnnie2:

I was talked into Klonopin by my doctor. I was quite resistant to benzodiazepe medications. I take 2 mg at night before bed. This medication has been a life-saver for me. My doctor asked that on some nights that I go down to 1.5mg in order to keep the medication working well. Have been taking it for three years this way, and it works. Sleep is so important, and I have tried everything. Good medication for insomnia.

July 23, 2014 1:36 PM

Review by missmarple (taken for less than 1 month):

Just went back on this because of anxiety and insomnia. All my llfe I haven't slept well and have woken up anywhere from tired to absolutely exhausted. This will sound extreme but it has saved my life. I now feel 'normal' as I can cope with my anxiety, have less muscle tension and much, much better sleep so I can function during the day. It's too bad it's so look down on as a medication. It's cheap and very effective but doctors, my experience in Canada, seem to only see it as something to be abused.

June 5, 2014 7:17 AM

Review by max1979 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

This is the best pill I've ever taken for sleeping. I've had insomnia for 6 years now. I got prescribed clonazepam, although my doc said it was highly addictive, because nothing else would work. I was desperate (in the time of 12 months before I got on it, I was able to sleep more than 6 hrs maybe 5 nights only), so I decided to give it a try. IT IS A MIRACLE PILL! I can sleep again 8 hrs straight! I don't feel groggy, drowsy or sleepy AT ALL, actually quite the opposite! I have so much energy in the morning, I feel like a superman! I've been taking 0.75mg for two years now 3-4 times a week, and so far did not have to increase the dose! Give it a try, if nothing else helps. And I've tried EVERYTHING.

May 28, 2014 7:55 PM

Review by Outshineyourself (taken for less than 1 month):

I'm 25, female, full-time student and full-time worker, living in NYC. I've been fighting insomnia triggered by anxiety my entire life, but it was never an issue until I reached my mid-twenties. When I lay down, I get a series of panic attacks that can keep me awake the entire night. Lately, I've been going three days on ~5 hours of total sleep. I quit my job and my focus for school was diminished. I became scared and a total mess. I need proper sleep to be able to function the next day. I was recently prescribed Clonazepam through my psychiatrist and it is, seriously, a blessing from the universe. I take .5 mg when I start feeling sleepy and, within an hour, I'm in dreamland. I don't have to fight for sleep or get anxious about sleeping.

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 14, 2014 9:34 AM

Review by Greenbriar:

I have PTSD and have a lot of difficulty with falling asleep, staying asleep. One symptom is not reaching a deep sleep past REM, and having nightmares through-out the night, continually waking, panicked. I was prescribed a sleep med that made me some what relaxed, or I maybe only slept for four hours, and still having nightmares. This went on for months. I was prescribed Clonazepam and it has been a God-send. Not being able to sleep normally had a terrible affect on my daily life. I take it a few hours before bedtime, and when ready I lay down and sleep soundly, waking the next morning feeling relaxed, rejuvenated. I am able to return to a normal activities without the fatigue.

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 19, 2014 10:57 AM

Review by BobB. (taken for 1 to 2 years):

After four spinal fusions, I have chronic pain and chronic spasms. I've tried almost everything out there My doctor suggested 0.5mg of Clonazepam twice a day for spasm and sleep. It's worked wonders. Being able to get rest, makes everything else tolerable.

December 29, 2013 10:01 PM

Review by Grumpy Smurf (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have struggled with moderate insomnia for years (can't fall asleep, wake up 3 hours later unable to go back to sleep, etc). Although some nights are better than others, it has always been a major influence in my life. Lunesta worked well, allowing me to get about 6.5 to 7 hours, but it costs a FORTUNE. Just started clonazepam about a month ago and WOW! I only take it 3-4 nights a week to avoid dependency and my life is a lot better. As a side note, I do not suffer from anxiety or depression, I just can't turn off my brain EVER.

95 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 19, 2013 1:21 PM

Review by FinallySleeping (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I've had insomnia for 10 years; couldn't shut my brain off! My uncle is a doctor & flipped when I told him I hadn't slept in 16 days. He immediately prescribed tricyclic antidepressants & sent me for a sleep study; in only 4 hours of sleep, I woke up 69 times. The antidepressants made me suicidal. Everything else worked for just a few weeks. I started getting depressed, panic attacks, anxiety, quit working, having seizures, became a shut in, cried every single day, then became suicidal. The only thing that stopped me was the thought of my family finding me. I was then prescribed Ambien & it worked well but made me hungover. Amitriptyline worked but gave me bad muscle spasms. Finally, I was put on 2mg Klonopin. I can sleep now!

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 13, 2013 12:34 AM

Review by normanlover:

It helps me with several things my insomnia my anxiety and depression the only side affect I get is increased appetite

November 7, 2013 10:42 PM

Review by KTOHIO:

I'm on klonopin 1mg 3x a day. Still can't sleep. I was put on Klonopin for anxiety years ago. My doctor added one pill at dinner to help sleep. Thus 1mg 3x a day. Still mind wonders and cannot sleep. I was put on Seroquel for insomnia. Worked well. Lost my insurance and job. Now back to being up all day and night. Seroquel without insurance is $15.50 a pill. Sleepless in Ohio.

October 21, 2013 7:07 PM

Review by jade 007 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I have chronic insomnia, depression and anxiety. This is the only medicine that relaxes me so I can fall asleep. I take anywhere from 1-2mg about 3-4 nights a week. Works fast as I dissolve it under my tongue. No side effects in the morning. I have to be very careful when I take it in the day for my anxiety because it can make you very sleepy. This is the best medicine for insomnia.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 9, 2013 3:04 AM

Recently, I'd experienced insomnia for 4 weeks. It'd made me literally nonfunctional at work and very easily irritable. My doctor prescribed 0.5 mg clonazepam per night. I have been taking it for 5 days now and it is doing miracles. My only concern is it's being habit-forming. I am not sure how long I should continue taking it. Regardless, I am very satisfied with it so far.

September 15, 2013 2:01 AM

Review by Millenium:

Thank you everyone for your helpful comments. I've been suffering from insomnia since I was practically born and it gotten worse about 3 months ago down to a depression. So I've been introduced to the best sleeping medication ever and for the first time in my life I'm actually sleeping like a baby. I'm taking half of 0.5mg a night and I'm no longer this grumpiest girl in the morning that I've always been!

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 8, 2013 7:02 PM

Review by julopez1220:

This medication has truly saved my life...THE BEST AROUND....HANDS DOWN!!!

May 16, 2013 5:40 PM

Review by Mike021:

I have suffered from insomnia most of my adult life. Like many here, I was prescribed clonazepam 1-2 mg. at night. I have never increased the dose after years of use. In fact, my doctor recommended that I go down by .5 m.g. as often I felt comfortable to do so in order to reduce the chances of becoming tolerant to the medicine. Works like a charm after many years of use. I wish there was something else, but this has become the best for my insomnia. I tried many other things.

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 16, 2013 4:00 PM

Review by jpsousa (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I've been using Klonopin for about 4 years. I take it when I awake in the middle of the night and can't get back to sleep. 0.5 mg gives me about 3 hours sleep and much more if I've not been taking it for a few days. Recently, I've been weaning myself by reducing the dosage to 0.25 mg. This weaning would be more difficult if I weren't retired so that I can get more sleep just by staying in bed longer. Not sleeping is much more adverse to my health than taking a moderate dose of Klonopin.

April 13, 2013 1:38 PM

Review by Pill Pharmer (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Klonopin (clonazepam): I have severe and chronic insomnia that has caused me little (if any) sleep per night, leading to confusion and irritability in the morning, leading to delirium, if prolonged exposure to sleep deprivation was to happen to me. My doctor first prescribed me Seroquel (quetiapine) for my insomnia, which worked a little bit TOO well, as it was too heavily sedating, and left me with too many "morning-after" effects. At my doctor's reluctance (due to substance abuse history in not me, but my family) I was given a prescription to a starting dose of 1 mg a night of Klonopin. This was amazing. As opposed to being forced to sleep by Seroquel, Klonopin lulled me to sleep. It's a wonderful medicine.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 30, 2012 4:19 PM

Klonopin (clonazepam): Klonopin is the only medication that works for my insomnia. I've been on pretty much every medicine for insomnia at one point or another. I have OCD and the reason I can't sleep is because the obsessive thoughts won't stop ruminating in my head. When I take Klonopin, the thoughts are no longer intrusive.

April 10, 2012 12:03 AM

Review by Sleepytime1234:

Klonopin (clonazepam): I have had insomnia for over 20 years. It had caused my overall health to decline, including chronic migraines, and depression. I have tried several medications but nothing worked. Other medicines would either make me anxious, groggy during the day, or have no affect. Finally, six years ago I was prescribed Klonopin. It was a miracle, finally I felt rested and happy. I was no longer tired, anxious or depressed. It also helped with my migraines and seizures. I know many people worry about staying on it long term, but to me the benefits out way any side effects (none found). To me, I'd rather take Klonopin the rest of my life, just like those who take aspirins daily for their heart, because it allows me to live a happy, productive life.

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 22, 2012 2:47 PM

Klonopin (clonazepam): I have chronic insomnia, have had for years. I think Klonopin does a good job for primary insomnia, I take 2 mg an hour before bed.

February 28, 2012 9:28 PM

Klonopin (clonazepam): I am a 48 year old woman and for the past couple of years I either never went to sleep or only slept a couple of hours each night. I am not a person who likes to take medication but found myself desperate because lack of sleep was interfering with the quality of my life. I am a teacher and mother so being sleep deprived was hard. I tried melatonin with little luck. A Dr. prescribed Ambien but I felt so groggy the next morning. Finally, a Dr. prescribed Klonopin 0.5 mg and even though I was reluctant, I was desperate and tried it. It worked the first night. I am able to get up in the middle of the night with my children if I need to. I awake feeling refreshed. It has changed my life. I do worry about long term use but will continue for now.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 15, 2012 6:36 PM

My doctor prescribed clonazepam (.5mg) for sleep a few years ago when I was sleeping only an hour or two because I couldn't "turn off" work at the end of the day. It's worked very well for me; I generally take on 0.25mg daily at bedtime. If work gets too nuts, I may take another 0.25mg during the day -- it "takes the edge off" and makes sleeping even better. When things are calmer at work, I can generally go down to .125mg at night and still get decent sleep. I recently read that clonazepam can cause coordination problems and confused thinking -- both of which I sometimes notice, so I'm considering other options.

December 8, 2011 8:34 PM

Review by Kaysar:

I started using clonazepam years ago, recommended by my partners psychiatrist at the time to help me with insomnia. I was using 0.5mg only on occasion and it was a miracle. I would fall asleep within an hour of taking them and have a great nights sleep. Loved it. Years later the dosage is now 4.25mg (as my resistance built up and the lower dosage no longer helped). I do take them about three times a week to sleep, especially Sunday night before the work week begins. However, I am now worried that my dosage is too high and I will have trouble getting off of them.

November 8, 2011 12:21 PM

Review by Nightynight:

Klonopin (clonazepam): I've been taking 0.5 mg of Klonopin for 1 1/2 years at bedtime. I've tried so many things to help me sleep. Most medicines never helped, some helped for awhile then stopped working. Klonopin is the best medicine for helping me get to sleep, stay asleep and not feel groggy or drugged in the morning. Being sleep deprived wreaks havoc on the body, mind and life in general.

October 26, 2011 4:29 PM

Review by Sleep!:

Klonopin (clonazepam): I've had chronic, unmanageable insomnia for almost 7 years. It took my life from me. I never thought it would reach the point where my doctor--who I no longer see--gave me HUGE amounts of medicine and put me in a mental hospital for 3 days! I found a sleep specialist who confirmed I am NOT CRAZY, he tried me on a few medicines that didn't work--I was getting roughly 2-4 hours per night for YEARS--and finally, he tried this medicine. WOW. It's not perfect because my illness iS an illness that I will struggle with for a long time, but I've been getting better. My life was a disaster for so long that I cried every single day. Now, I'm beginning to feel like myself again. I hope you all do too.

September 28, 2011 1:26 PM