User Reviews for Anafranil

Learn more about Anafranil.

Anafranil Review Summary

8.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 19 medications used in the treatment of Panic Disorder.

Reviews for Anafranil to treat Panic Disorder

"Before taking Anafranil I had severe panic attacks and de-realization. Xanax was the only medicine that could help me but only temporarily at high doses. After unsuccessful experiences with other antidepressants which made my anxiety and mood much worse, I was ready to give up pharmaceuticals until I gave Anafranil a shot. I don't preach antidepressants or antianxiety medicines because I don't like them myself, but Anafranil seemed to be the only medicine that virtually eliminated my panic attacks without making me feel 'numb' and 'lifeless'. If you have panic disorder or depression like I do and have had no luck with SSRI's or SNRI's, I urge you to at least try Anafranil."

Royjones (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 3, 2014

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Have been on Anafranil for 5 weeks now. Prior to starting this medication I tried Lexapro (horrible panic attacks no sleep), Zoloft (made me depressed, worsened anxiety), Cymbalta (dreamlike state, made me totally dysfunctional), dothiepin (slightly alleviated anxiety but not much). I have only taken Anafranil for 5 weeks and it has already cured me of chronic anxiety, panic attacks. Took 4 weeks to really start working but turned out to be a surprisingly effective medicine. I feel great for the first time in years and am starting to get my life back. It has also helped my agoraphobia a great deal, magical stuff."

dandalion January 19, 2013

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Outstanding medication for obsessive compulsive stress disorder, Panic, Agoraphobia. I have been on this medicine for 15 years and it has eliminated my panic attacks, anxiety and am able to leave the house without fear. Side effects include rapid heart rate, dry mouth and sexual dysfunction and hypotension. I take Anafranil at night. There is absolutely no weight gain, in fact I lost 50lbs. I did switch to Zoloft with no success and am back on Anafranil. There were no withdrawal symptoms when tapered off. This is one of the best meds in the TCA class and works better than the new SSRIs for me."

kmaverikaz February 24, 2012

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I had a bad weekend and couldn't control my emotions when on Librium alone. But with Geodon, a medication I've been experiencing serious side effects with, I am a lot calmer. So basically, it works but with something extra."

EliteGirl January 19, 2012