User Reviews for Clomipramine

Also known as: Anafranil

Learn more about Clomipramine.

Depression 8 reviews 78 medications

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder 55 reviews 13 medications

7.9
Summary of Clomipramine reviews 75 reviews 8.6

Reviews for Clomipramine

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "The most side effects I have ever heard of. I experienced nearly all of the side effects at one point or the other over the last month and a half. I am currently bed ridden trying to get off this medicine. It's a nightmare."

Bobby Donuts April 24, 2016

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "Reduced my symptoms by 80%"

Laura24nz March 31, 2016

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "Clomipramine began improving my OCD symptoms within a couple of weeks and seems to have all but eliminated my intrusive, repletetive thinking at this point. I still have off-days from time to time, but my therapist and doc both agree that's to be expected. This stuff has taken me from not being able to function to getting back to my life. The only downside is I have experienced some difficulty reaching orgasm. Not every time, but from time to time. Erections are fine and libido is actually increased - due to just feeling so much better. All in all that's a small price to pay for what feels like a restoration of my basic sanity."

Mr. Jones March 9, 2016

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "The first 2 weeks were kind of difficult for me. Lots of side effects and very little results. Hot/cold flashes, lethargy, tiredness, dizziness, sexual dysfunction and so on. After a month, the effects of clomipramine started to really kick in. It was effective against depression. Instead of going to bed every night hating myself and want to die, that only happened once a week. It reduced some (not all) of my OCD, particularly my obsessions. On the downside, it effectively made me bipolar. At one moment, I felt like Jesus. The other I was severely suicidal. I always had mania and depression, but not to this extent. Had to go off it. Lots of pros. Lots of cons. It works. But will it work for you?"

D'Francis (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 28, 2016

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I was put on this medication earlier this year for OCD. I didn't really notice a difference other then it made me tired about a half hour after taking it. It did not seem to improve my OCD symptoms. However I do wonder if I was on a high enough dose. My doctor only had me on 50 MG and I have a high tolerance to med so I might give this another shot at a higher dosage. Also I was only on it for a few weeks I think."

micky2015 (taken for less than 1 month) December 18, 2015

For Depression: "I have tried everything the only one that really helped me after I lost hope The doctors don't give it to you because its an old medication, the patent is over and the big pharmaceutical companys don't make any money. But believe me it is the best give it 2 month chance."

Ela44 November 28, 2015

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "This medication was a miracle for my OCD like I swear my intrusive thoughts had almost gone! I was able to do things that I couldn't do with OCD! Sadly I couldn't continue it as I got a really bad side affect of low blood pressure! I wasn't able to do much during this time. It was worth a try though!"

Tay99 November 16, 2015

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I have had chronic OCD for the last year and a half. I tried hundreds of different kinds of medication, and it's safe to say none of them worked. After five days of Anafranil, I started seeing multiple improvements. As more days passed, the level of improvement only increased. Unfortunately, it's not without side effects. I don't eat properly, I don't sleep for more than five hours, my body trembles and I feel terribly weak, but I have this theory hat maybe these side effects play an important role in forcibly stopping you from performing compulsions."

Hana304 November 13, 2015

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I had terrible OCD in my late teens and twenties. Totally life-consuming - I thought I was going mad. I suppose I was. The side effects have been difficult - long term erectile dysfunction, years after coming off the medication. And at the time, when the dose went up, sort of 'flu like' symptoms: achey, nausea, upset tummy. But it evened out. And it was really worth it. Still can't get it up properly - but I can live a life. As for cost - I live in the UK, so all healthcare is free for everyone. I paid "

Think about it (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 12, 2015

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Panic Disorder: "I was suffering panic attacks, anxiety, depression and irritable bowel syndrome. I started on half a 75 mg for two weeks and then full tablet. The side effects were a bit of a challenge some days but the up side was I had good days very early into taking. I started them four weeks ago and panic attacks are gone, minimal anxiety now and depression lifted considerably, also no more IBS. one thing that no tablet cannot do is change how you think. I am very, very blessed!"

Jillay November 12, 2015

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "This medicine saved my teenager from horrible OCD. 200mg at bedtime, dry mouth is the only side effect. Every once in awhile he will have an episode, but I am able to talk him through it. He tried every med, this was the only one that worked."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 30, 2015

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I was prescribed Clomipramine for my Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. I have found that the Clomipramine has helped a tiny bit with the Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, but I am currently at a small dose (50mg). I find this drug causes drowsiness and insomnia at the same time, so if I take it in the daytime I am drowsy and appear "out of it" yet in the nighttime not only am I drowsy and appear "out of it" but I also can't sleep! And since I started taking these pills I have been constipated; if I pass gas while in the bathroom someone I live with would accuse me of using laxatives since the bathroom would stink when I came out - and I didn't even get to poo! If these issues do not improve soon I might stop taking them."

Sailor_Saturn (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 1, 2015

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I have been taking this drug for almost 3 months. It has helped significantly with intrusive thoughts and therefore decreased compulsions and being stuck on rituals. More than significant, actually. It is saving me and I'm able to function better. The problem is I've gained 13 pounds. My hunger is never satisfied! It is always on my mind. I know my mental health is worth gaining SOME weight; however it shows no stopping. I am not a thin woman, gaining too much weight makes me unhappy in terms of how I look. I have some joint problems too. Thanks for listening. I do not plan on quitting this med for as I said, works great."

Mary'sLamb (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 2, 2015

For Depression: "I had roller coaster episodes of depression that was not seem to be cured from multiple Ssri that i tried.am struggling against depession for 6 years.The only miracle drug that worked is only chlomipramine.whenever i feel depression i just havr to adjust its dose and it start working again"

Adyy (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 30, 2015

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "Im a 26 yr old male with one child and another on the way. I suffer from GAD & OCD. My doctor prescribed me sertraline about 6 months ago when it got out of control. This did nothing but increase my symptoms to the point where I almost had to leave work and go into Mental Health Care. I then got put on to a specialist Psychiatrist, who put me on Clomipramine anti depressants and Quetiapine Anti Psycotics. This along with CBT has almost cured me. I am 90% normal again, just in time for my new baby boy to arrive and for me to be a good father. 100% reccomend this mix of drugs and therapy."

saved in time (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 14, 2015

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I was on 150 mg anafranil daily for over 10 years. My OCD was completely being managed. All of a sudden about 6 months ago I go to get it filled and it's too expensive. I'm talking $275.00. I'm on disability and couldn't afford it. I'm now going through a very bad boot of depression. Just lay in bed all day, no appetite, losing weight, no interest in even going to the mailbox. My Dr starred me on Prozac one week ago. So far, no improvement. I'm scared. Haven't been this depressed in such a long time."

stellar warsong April 22, 2015

For Depression: "I had several attacks of depression on the last 25 years following stress of works with variable severity. All of these attacks respond well to anafranil in 3-5 week of therapy with some side effects like sweating, tremor during first 2 weeks then I take a small dose for another sevaral weeks and tapering it without problems. During the last attack of depression, I did a mistake when I start treatment with zoloft depending on an opinion of a psychatrist who said to me that this drug is very good with less side effects in comparison with "old drug anafranil with unpleasant side effects" as he said. I m on zoloft with up to 150 mg for the last 6 weeks without significant improvement. I decide to stop this drug & return back to my anafranil"

Toona (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 14, 2015

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "My husband gave clomipramine a try yesterday and as a side effect he got very violent and angry."

Cassnjosh February 14, 2015

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I take this medication for obsessive compulsive disorder and anxiety. This medication has been the saving grace of my life! The only side effects I have experienced are insomnia when I first started it or up a dose, but it goes away within a few days. And dry mouth. But I feel so much better freed of my obsessional thoughts I don't care! I take 150 mg a day and have been on it 5 years. No other medicine has ever been so effective for this long, and believe me I have taken everything you can name!"

Shannonld January 17, 2015

120 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "This medication paired with a small dose of Celexa literally saved my life. I have panic disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder and GAD as well as BPD. I was addicted to Klonopin and it wasn't even working anymore, making me like a zombie. I started this medicine and within 2 weeks I could feel a change. Then by the next month I went from being a suicidally depressed insomniac with uncontrollable and obsessive thoughts to a normal person. For the first time in my entire life I feel normal, at peace. This is a God send. I seriously don't know what would have happened to me had I not found this medication. It doesn't cure BPD, but my moods are the most controlled they've ever been. There is a light at the end of the dark tunnel."

Vee86 January 12, 2015

For Panic Disorder: "I have panic disorder. I take 50mg of Anafranil, after trying several medications Anafranil is only effective medicine for me. I'm very happy."

ben has (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 7, 2015

For Depression: "I use this medication for 5 years after I tried everything Prozac, Cymbalta, Abilfy,and all the others this one was the only one that worked. It took 1 month to feel good and continued to grow for 1 year. It is not like the other medicine that let you continue (if) in your life but you still don't feel good. This medicine really makes you strong and without all the bad Thoughts and the less of energy."

zahi43 December 10, 2014

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I took Anafranil for only 3 months, it completely cured my 30 year obsessive compulsive disorder. Free of OCD for 15 years."

ocd no more November 16, 2014

122 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "The best medicine to combat obsessive thinking. I have NO IDEA why the price has skyrocketed the past few years."

dperk (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 28, 2014

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I have been on this medication a short time. Apart from drowsiness which I'm still adjusting to, I am finding it really helpful. After being on many other medications over the years, I am finding that Clomipramine mixed with my others has finally reduced the pit of anxiety plus the intrusive and obsessive thoughts that I tend to have continually. For the first time I feel like I can overcome the anxiety plus not be troubled by thoughts that I cannot control. I was SO tired of people just telling me I needed to control my thoughts and could overcome them if I wanted. Hey, I'm in my 50s and hasn't been possible up until now! Anyway, so far so good. The drowsiness is a bit troublesome, but to be honest, nowhere near as troublesome as problems."

Nols21 (taken for less than 1 month) September 13, 2014