User Reviews for Clomipramine

Also known as: Anafranil

Learn more about Clomipramine.

Depression 4 reviews 75 medications

Sleep Paralysis 0 reviews 1 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Clomipramine reviews 49 reviews 8.3

Reviews for Clomipramine

Review by Shanchoy007:

For Panic Disorder: I have been on this medicine for almost 10 years. It effectively cured my depression, anxiety but not stress. It made me confused, groggy. I couldn't think clearly. Overall it's good.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 10, 2014 12:24 AM

Review by JW 84020:

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Depression: This medicine has minimal side effects. It makes me less sad or reduces obsessive worry. It lowers my anxiety. It also helps with digestion regularity.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 3, 2014 9:22 PM

Review by Anurag 56 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: Lots of side effects like drowsiness, headache, nausea and constipation.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 2, 2014 6:12 AM

Review by MB1aaa:

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: This was awful for me. Severe palpitations and obsessive thoughts became worse leading to insomnia with severe feelings of agitation. Was on 20mg and tapering off, now on 10mg but still experiencing awful side effects.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 1, 2014 8:56 PM

Review by Royjones (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Panic Disorder: Before taking Anafranil I had severe panic attacks and de-realization. Xanax was the only medicine that could help me but only temporarily at high doses. After unsuccessful experiences with other antidepressants which made my anxiety and mood much worse, I was ready to give up pharmaceuticals until I gave Anafranil a shot. I don't preach antidepressants or antianxiety medicines because I don't like them myself, but Anafranil seemed to be the only medicine that virtually eliminated my panic attacks without making me feel 'numb' and 'lifeless'. If you have panic disorder or depression like I do and have had no luck with SSRI's or SNRI's, I urge you to at least try Anafranil.

June 3, 2014 11:54 PM

Review by Vicki I won:

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: I have suffered resistant depression/anxiety on and off for 30 years and now I have obsessive compulsive disorder and intrusive thoughts. I started on Anafranil 15 days ago and my OCD/ intrusive thoughts have almost gone I'm on only 100 mg per day and I'm starting to get my life back and the medicines haven't reached their full effect yet, so at this early stage I'm happy to recommend this medication and I hope this helps anyone that reads this, thank you.

May 5, 2014 3:16 AM

Review by hapi:

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: I have suffered from obsessive thoughts for 26 years. I have tried different medications over the years. I was on Paxil for 10 years but I never ever felt totally well and I slowly stopped taking it and became very ill. I started taking clomipramine again seven years ago. Again it saved my life and I have been able to have a successful career. I take 250 mg a day. I hate the side effect of weight gain but I will never sacrifice my mental health to lose weight.

February 9, 2014 3:30 PM

Review by MelissaDutfield (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: I started taking this medication 2 months ago, starting on 25mg but was too high as the side effects were bad for me so I started on 10mg slowly to 20mg and I think it has made a big difference. I am doing CBT too but the anxiety has decreased significantly. I suffer from intrusive thoughts and this helps it become more manageable and I feel that I'm living again!

January 31, 2014 8:06 AM

Review by mciain3 (taken for 10 years or more):

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: Anafranil has always worked superbly for my obsessive compulsive disorder and I have used this medicine intermittently for 30 years. My mistake has always been to completely stop when I feel well - it always comes back. Although an amazing medicine, the downside is that it takes about 8 weeks for the medicine to work and before that I usually feel worse. And the side effects can be a challenge.

January 18, 2014 12:17 AM

Review by 123maybeitwillworkforme (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: I started taking this medication after suffering severe anxiety and unwanted thoughts for 13 years. I have been on this medication for approximately three months and the anxiety attacks stopped except for maybe two so far when it was 8 to 9 a day. The intrusive thoughts have not stopped yet but somehow the anxiety has, don't know how that is since the thoughts are what causes my anxiety but somehow it is easier to control my thoughts or get off of the intrusive thought that would have caused the panic attack. I am hoping 100mg helps me with the thoughts. Never stop trying and never stop being your own advocate in your mental illness. 13 yrs for me.

December 2, 2013 10:34 PM

Review by helps me:

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: It has worked really well for my severe OCD, depression, anxiety and panic. It stabalizes my mood too. The side effects are awful for me, though. Sexual side effects (like my genitals are numb) and severe constipation are the two side effects that keep me from being on a more therapeutic dose. At 100mg, the side effects are bad. At 50mg I'm OK in terms of side effects, but the benefits are minimal. I will be going up to 75mg and see how that goes. In the past I had been on 150mg and then 200mg. I had never been happier. I think I may have been too happy rather than normal happy, though.

November 11, 2013 2:59 PM

Review by alon22 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Depression: After 6 years with very strong depression that nothing helps, this medicine saved my life. It takes more then a month to kick in and it continues to grow for full year but after you use it you fill strong and don't think about depression anymore. If you have resistant depression you must try this. It's a totally different class than the rest. I also tried all the natural 5HTP, St. John's Wort and the rest and nothing helped.

October 6, 2013 2:13 PM

Review by Batch:

For Depression: This medicine saved my life. I have now been on it for 12 years for anxiety and depression. I tried a whole slew of SSRI's over a three year period with minimal success prior to clomipramine. A week after starting clomipramine I started to feel better but had some major side effects (dry mouth, constipation and later weight gain). With the SSRI's I had no or minimal side effects. I thought maybe these side effects mean the medicine is working. The side effects continued for about 5-6 weeks but damn I started to feel like my old self. I gained about 15 pounds in the first 8 months but I didn't really care because I could live again and enjoy my family and friends. The weight all came off after about a year with exercise and eating right. Awesome!

July 17, 2013 9:45 AM

Review by AmateurParent (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: My 13 yo daughter is on this. None of the SSRIs worked to control her Obsessive compulsive disorder. Anafranil had been awesome.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 5, 2013 5:23 PM

Review by STAG6700:

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: I was first prescribed this medicine for severe/major depression at around eighteen-years-old. I had tried various forms of psychotherapy and nothing had worked; over the course of a year the depression had worsened to the point where I could no longer function. 50mg of Clomipramine transformed my life after about ten days. It has been, for me a life-saving medicine. The side-effects are sometimes bothersome, but to this day it regulates my mood almost perfectly and I can live a full life. Highly recommended.

June 28, 2013 9:27 PM

Review by curlywurly (taken for 10 years or more):

For Panic Disorder: My panic disorder with agoraphobia started when I was 16. Clomipramine (Anafranil) is the only thing that controls it. I am now nearly 60 and still take a small dose 25mgs per night. I have tried repeatedly to manage without Clomipramine and to begin with it is fine but then eventually the panic attacks recur and are very debilitating. Thanks to this I have been able to lead a fulfilled life - working both at home and abroad, travelling, driving and looking after children and husband. It frees me up to be myself. I have tried cognitive therapy and other things but always come back to this. It is not nice to be on a high dose though as it affects sexual response. This is why it does not get 10 out of 10.

June 22, 2013 11:12 AM

Review by Nutcracker44 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: Works better on Obsessive Compulsive Disorder than on depression. Also helps one sleep and counters nervous diarrhea.

June 16, 2013 4:41 AM

Review by shb (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Anafranil (clomipramine) for : Started out good, then headaches then sleep problems. After that muscle spasms, also weakness, although I started feeling better to start with as far as my mood and depression.

May 27, 2013 7:00 PM

Review by Rod Hull:

For Depression: Side effects were really unpleasant but 2 months in have lessened to some degree - as an effective anti-depressant it is the best I have ever taken. I have been on just about every anti-depressant out over the last 20 years with nothing really working and worsening depression. I started to feel a lifting in mood almost immediately and now feel "normal" which is an awesome feeling. My social phobia/anxiety has almost disappeared too which is an added bonus. Wish I had been prescribed this years ago!

April 20, 2013 3:37 AM

Review by Maciain (taken for 10 years or more):

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: I have used Anafranil on and off for 30 years. Each time it has worked superbly. I stop and then start again about 2 years later, for a period of about 4-6 months. Presently taking 200 mg along with Beta Blockers - the best experience ever: I am happier, more confident and less anxious than ever in my life. Anafranil side effects are sometimes bad: loss of appetite, sexual dysfunction and blurred vision tend to him me badly. Also can take 2-3 months before they really work. But worth the wait, even though it feels for a while as though it makes you feel worse. Outstanding medicine - a life saver!!

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 7, 2013 4:13 AM

Review by PGclomipramine (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: Miracle! I had obsessive thoughts that I recognized and could not get rid off. Tried years of therapy and one year of Lexapro with no results. The thoughts had cost me relationships in the past and was starting to ruin my latest and best one also. I finally tried Clomipramine. Even at the low dosage of 25mg, I started to see results after two weeks of taking it. The side effects are a drag but they start going away. Worst one for me is the anorgasmia though which is getting better slowly.

March 5, 2013 10:57 PM

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: I had suffered debilitating OCD from the age of six and Chlomipramine has improved my condition 95%. It also handles my chronic sciatica beautifully. Diminishes pain by about 70%! Constipation and sweating are my only side effects. And that's not much of a problem. I'm 45 and finally enjoy life.

March 5, 2013 5:13 AM

Review by Doddsy (taken for 10 years or more):

For Panic Disorder: I've been on clomipramine 15 years now and basically saved my life. I suffer terrible panic attacks but they stopped straight away/. I come off my 25 mg tablets for 9 months, felt good but slowly my panic attacks came now back on 25 mg and feel good again.

February 19, 2013 11:08 AM

Review by Scottyy (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: Anafranil : Most likely the best medicine for obsessive compulsive disorder, overall. Yet each person has their own body chemistry/energy issues. Most people with OCD need about 100 to 200 mg at night. The key is to GRADUALLY go up in dose. This will give your body TIME to ADJUST to Anafranil. I am now up to 150mg, after 3 months and I am feeling much better. Much less OCD thoughts. Yes, sexual side effects...as with any OCD medicine. I used to take high dose Paxil for 8 years and it just wore out, OCD came back. I think I will try Anafranil 200 or 225 mgs, stay on it for a year, then see how I do as I try to wean down the dose to 50 or so.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 7, 2013 8:00 PM

Review by dandalion:

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Panic Disorder: Have been on Anafranil for 5 weeks now. Prior to starting this medication I tried Lexapro (horrible panic attacks no sleep), Zoloft (made me depressed, worsened anxiety), Cymbalta (dreamlike state, made me totally dysfunctional), dothiepin (slightly alleviated anxiety but not much). I have only taken Anafranil for 5 weeks and it has already cured me of chronic anxiety, panic attacks. Took 4 weeks to really start working but turned out to be a surprisingly effective medicine. I feel great for the first time in years and am starting to get my life back. It has also helped my agoraphobia a great deal, magical stuff.

January 19, 2013 5:24 PM