User Reviews for Clomipramine

Also known as: Anafranil

Learn more about Clomipramine.

Depression 7 reviews 75 medications

Irritable Bowel Syndrome 1 reviews 130 medications

Sleep Paralysis 0 reviews 1 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Clomipramine reviews 62 reviews 8.7

Reviews for Clomipramine

For Depression: "I had roller coaster episodes of depression that was not seem to be cured from multiple Ssri that i tried.am struggling against depession for 6 years.The only miracle drug that worked is only chlomipramine.whenever i feel depression i just havr to adjust its dose and it start working again"

Adyy (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 30, 2015

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "Im a 26 yr old male with one child and another on the way. I suffer from GAD & OCD. My doctor prescribed me sertraline about 6 months ago when it got out of control. This did nothing but increase my symptoms to the point where I almost had to leave work and go into Mental Health Care. I then got put on to a specialist Psychiatrist, who put me on Clomipramine anti depressants and Quetiapine Anti Psycotics. This along with CBT has almost cured me. I am 90% normal again, just in time for my new baby boy to arrive and for me to be a good father. 100% reccomend this mix of drugs and therapy."

saved in time (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 14, 2015

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I was on 150 mg anafranil daily for over 10 years. My OCD was completely being managed. All of a sudden about 6 months ago I go to get it filled and it's too expensive. I'm talking $275.00. I'm on disability and couldn't afford it. I'm now going through a very bad boot of depression. Just lay in bed all day, no appetite, losing weight, no interest in even going to the mailbox. My Dr starred me on Prozac one week ago. So far, no improvement. I'm scared. Haven't been this depressed in such a long time."

stellar warsong April 22, 2015

For Depression: "I had several attacks of depression on the last 25 years following stress of works with variable severity. All of these attacks respond well to anafranil in 3-5 week of therapy with some side effects like sweating, tremor during first 2 weeks then I take a small dose for another sevaral weeks and tapering it without problems. During the last attack of depression, I did a mistake when I start treatment with zoloft depending on an opinion of a psychatrist who said to me that this drug is very good with less side effects in comparison with "old drug anafranil with unpleasant side effects" as he said. I m on zoloft with up to 150 mg for the last 6 weeks without significant improvement. I decide to stop this drug & return back to my anafranil"

Toona (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 14, 2015

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "My husband gave clomipramine a try yesterday and as a side effect he got very violent and angry."

Cassnjosh February 14, 2015

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I take this medication for obsessive compulsive disorder and anxiety. This medication has been the saving grace of my life! The only side effects I have experienced are insomnia when I first started it or up a dose, but it goes away within a few days. And dry mouth. But I feel so much better freed of my obsessional thoughts I don't care! I take 150 mg a day and have been on it 5 years. No other medicine has ever been so effective for this long, and believe me I have taken everything you can name!"

Shannonld January 17, 2015

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "This medication paired with a small dose of Celexa literally saved my life. I have panic disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder and GAD as well as BPD. I was addicted to Klonopin and it wasn't even working anymore, making me like a zombie. I started this medicine and within 2 weeks I could feel a change. Then by the next month I went from being a suicidally depressed insomniac with uncontrollable and obsessive thoughts to a normal person. For the first time in my entire life I feel normal, at peace. This is a God send. I seriously don't know what would have happened to me had I not found this medication. It doesn't cure BPD, but my moods are the most controlled they've ever been. There is a light at the end of the dark tunnel."

Vee86 January 12, 2015

For Panic Disorder: "I have panic disorder. I take 50mg of Anafranil, after trying several medications Anafranil is only effective medicine for me. I'm very happy."

ben has (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 7, 2015

For Depression: "I use this medication for 5 years after I tried everything Prozac, Cymbalta, Abilfy,and all the others this one was the only one that worked. It took 1 month to feel good and continued to grow for 1 year. It is not like the other medicine that let you continue (if) in your life but you still don't feel good. This medicine really makes you strong and without all the bad Thoughts and the less of energy."

zahi43 December 10, 2014

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I took Anafranil for only 3 months, it completely cured my 30 year obsessive compulsive disorder. Free of OCD for 15 years."

ocd no more November 16, 2014

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "The best medicine to combat obsessive thinking. I have NO IDEA why the price has skyrocketed the past few years."

dperk (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 28, 2014

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I have been on this medication a short time. Apart from drowsiness which I'm still adjusting to, I am finding it really helpful. After being on many other medications over the years, I am finding that Clomipramine mixed with my others has finally reduced the pit of anxiety plus the intrusive and obsessive thoughts that I tend to have continually. For the first time I feel like I can overcome the anxiety plus not be troubled by thoughts that I cannot control. I was SO tired of people just telling me I needed to control my thoughts and could overcome them if I wanted. Hey, I'm in my 50s and hasn't been possible up until now! Anyway, so far so good. The drowsiness is a bit troublesome, but to be honest, nowhere near as troublesome as problems."

Nols21 (taken for less than 1 month) September 13, 2014

For Panic Disorder: "I have been on this medicine for almost 10 years. It effectively cured my depression, anxiety but not stress. It made me confused, groggy. I couldn't think clearly. Overall it's good."

Shanchoy007 September 10, 2014

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Depression: "This medicine has minimal side effects. It makes me less sad or reduces obsessive worry. It lowers my anxiety. It also helps with digestion regularity."

JW 84020 September 3, 2014

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "Lots of side effects like drowsiness, headache, nausea and constipation."

Anurag 56 (taken for less than 1 month) August 2, 2014

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "This was awful for me. Severe palpitations and obsessive thoughts became worse leading to insomnia with severe feelings of agitation. Was on 20mg and tapering off, now on 10mg but still experiencing awful side effects."

MB1aaa July 1, 2014

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Panic Disorder: "Before taking Anafranil I had severe panic attacks and de-realization. Xanax was the only medicine that could help me but only temporarily at high doses. After unsuccessful experiences with other antidepressants which made my anxiety and mood much worse, I was ready to give up pharmaceuticals until I gave Anafranil a shot. I don't preach antidepressants or antianxiety medicines because I don't like them myself, but Anafranil seemed to be the only medicine that virtually eliminated my panic attacks without making me feel 'numb' and 'lifeless'. If you have panic disorder or depression like I do and have had no luck with SSRI's or SNRI's, I urge you to at least try Anafranil."

Royjones (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 3, 2014

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I have suffered resistant depression/anxiety on and off for 30 years and now I have obsessive compulsive disorder and intrusive thoughts. I started on Anafranil 15 days ago and my OCD/ intrusive thoughts have almost gone I'm on only 100 mg per day and I'm starting to get my life back and the medicines haven't reached their full effect yet, so at this early stage I'm happy to recommend this medication and I hope this helps anyone that reads this, thank you."

Vicki I won May 5, 2014

124 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I have suffered from obsessive thoughts for 26 years. I have tried different medications over the years. I was on Paxil for 10 years but I never ever felt totally well and I slowly stopped taking it and became very ill. I started taking clomipramine again seven years ago. Again it saved my life and I have been able to have a successful career. I take 250 mg a day. I hate the side effect of weight gain but I will never sacrifice my mental health to lose weight."

hapi February 9, 2014

102 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I started taking this medication 2 months ago, starting on 25mg but was too high as the side effects were bad for me so I started on 10mg slowly to 20mg and I think it has made a big difference. I am doing CBT too but the anxiety has decreased significantly. I suffer from intrusive thoughts and this helps it become more manageable and I feel that I'm living again!"

MelissaDutfield (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 31, 2014

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "Anafranil has always worked superbly for my obsessive compulsive disorder and I have used this medicine intermittently for 30 years. My mistake has always been to completely stop when I feel well - it always comes back. Although an amazing medicine, the downside is that it takes about 8 weeks for the medicine to work and before that I usually feel worse. And the side effects can be a challenge."

mciain3 (taken for 10 years or more) January 18, 2014

For Trichotillomania: "I have had trichotillomania since I was a kid, for those of you who don't know what Trichotillomania is, it's hair loss from repeated urges to pull or twist the hair until it breaks off. Patients are unable to stop this behavior, anyway these urges come in episodes, sometimes an episode lasts a week, a month, or several months these episodes can be caused by stress, changes in lifestyle, social reasons, or no obvious reason at all. I'm 18 years old and I find this medicine helpful, I take it only when I have the symptoms and in a few days I can see I'm getting better sometimes the symptoms disappear completely, the side effects are annoying but they can get better with time. I recommend this drug."

Vanish2246 January 7, 2014

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I started taking this medication after suffering severe anxiety and unwanted thoughts for 13 years. I have been on this medication for approximately three months and the anxiety attacks stopped except for maybe two so far when it was 8 to 9 a day. The intrusive thoughts have not stopped yet but somehow the anxiety has, don't know how that is since the thoughts are what causes my anxiety but somehow it is easier to control my thoughts or get off of the intrusive thought that would have caused the panic attack. I am hoping 100mg helps me with the thoughts. Never stop trying and never stop being your own advocate in your mental illness. 13 yrs for me."

123maybeitwillworkforme (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 2, 2013

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "It has worked really well for my severe OCD, depression, anxiety and panic. It stabalizes my mood too. The side effects are awful for me, though. Sexual side effects (like my genitals are numb) and severe constipation are the two side effects that keep me from being on a more therapeutic dose. At 100mg, the side effects are bad. At 50mg I'm OK in terms of side effects, but the benefits are minimal. I will be going up to 75mg and see how that goes. In the past I had been on 150mg and then 200mg. I had never been happier. I think I may have been too happy rather than normal happy, though."

helps me November 11, 2013

Anafranil (clomipramine) for Depression: "After 6 years with very strong depression that nothing helps, this medicine saved my life. It takes more then a month to kick in and it continues to grow for full year but after you use it you fill strong and don't think about depression anymore. If you have resistant depression you must try this. It's a totally different class than the rest. I also tried all the natural 5HTP, St. John's Wort and the rest and nothing helped."

alon22 (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 6, 2013