User Reviews for Clindamycin

Also known as: Cleocin, Cleocin HCl, Cleocin Pediatric, Cleocin Phosphate, Cleocin Phosphate ADD-Vantage

Learn more about Clindamycin.

Clindamycin Rating Summary

6.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 665 medications used in the treatment of Bacterial Infection.

Reviews for Clindamycin to treat Bacterial Infection

"Worst medicine I've ever taken. I got put on this for a tooth infection. 30 minutes after taking it my jaw felt like someone was stabbing me. Dentist thought it was the tooth so upped the dose to 2 pills 3 times a day. Again after 30 minutes I had the worst pain I've ever felt. I took a dose this morning at 8 and again the pain was unbearable. Stopped taking it and 15 hours later I'm still in unbearable pain. I have a rash, chills, itchy and fever but the pain in my jaw is unreal. I threw the rest of the pills down the toilet and I'm praying this crap leaves my system soon. In the past 4 days I've had a total of 7 hours of sleep due to the jaw pain. Right now I should be asleep for work tomorrow and all I can do is endure the pain."

TylerV76 (taken for less than 1 month) February 1, 2016

"I had a wisdom tooth removed and developed an infection in my jaw. I was prescribed 1200 mg of Clindamycin a day. The pharmacist warned me that I should take with plenty of water, which I did. I also took it with food. The first time, I had to take 56 pills. Second time, 40. I just started another 56 pill stint of Clindamycin. I have had absolutely NO problems because it was stressed to be taken with PLENTY of water. Now, as far as the infection goes, I don't seem to be recovering from it even after having my jaw reopened and the bone scraped. I am very scared of what else this infection could do to me more so than the Clindamycin. Please take it as advised by the pharmacist."

Slurry (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 31, 2016

"Took this for gum abscess, tried kefexin and flagyl 10 days before this one and those didn't help much, abscess came back within 2 days. After those my dentist gave me some clindamycin 5 days, it helped perfectly, abscess has not returned and now im waiting my wisdom tooth to be removed in 1,5 weeks. It has side effects indeed,it gave me bit loose stools, but... i take that over gum abscess anytime. Thank you for making this antibiotic."

Jobuu (taken for less than 1 month) January 28, 2016

"This medication should not be allowed to be distributed! I feel terrible! I am in so much discomfort and pain! I have a fever, vomiting, unbelievable heartburn, chest pain that feels like a heart attack. I've only taken two pills!"

Shan H (taken for less than 1 month) January 24, 2016

"I have taken this medication about four times in my life. First two times because I was pregnant with a tooth abcess. Other two same story. First time it cleared the infection with little side effects as I already have IBS. Third time was terrible and I stopped taking it. This time I found it again and am on day 2. I'm nauseous, have horrid cramping and diarrhea, severe lightheadedness, migraines, chills, slight fever and the pain is still immense. Not worth the side effects."

lakilucid (taken for less than 1 month) January 24, 2016

"I have diarrhea, but it's maybe just that my body isn't used to it. Reading others experiences does compel me to drink more water. I'm on a three times a day for my abscess, but I only do two a day. I hear my body. Lol. So far, I saw some results when I took it with water, food, water, brushed and flossed, took one pill in the day and one before bed; BUT once I stopped, it rose back up."

Elias Alberto January 9, 2016

"I was on Clindamycin for 1 week 4x/day. I had nerve pain from a tooth that was needing a root canal. It was supposed to lessen the pain I was having and didn't do that, I was still taking Ibuprofen for the pain. From the first time I took it, it gave me pain in my throat and chest, heartburn-like. I have never experienced this horrible feeling with any antibiotic EVER. I finally finished the dosage after 7 days and my throat and chest still hurt. I wonder what it has done to my throat and chest? I am thinking of going to go get it checked out. I am not sure why this was prescribed over another type of antibiotic. If you can don't take this drug you'll feel sick from what you have and feel sick from the antibiotic."

Jc123 January 8, 2016

"My experience with this medicine was pretty great. I had to take three a day for ten days and experienced NO symptoms. I took it with a lot of water and yogurt and didn't lay down for at least 30 minutes afterwards."

Anne2016 January 7, 2016

"I was put on Clindamycin 300 mg for a tooth infection, every 6-7 hours, 3x daily. I'm a 21 year old female and I had no problems with this medication. I was very careful to not lay down AT LEAST 30 minutes after taking it. Sometimes I waited 40 minutes-1 hour just to be safe. The only time I experienced very mild heart burn was after eating chili and a diet coke, both acidic foods. So I recommend staying away from anything acidic or spicy while taking this pill. In addition, I took a probiotic every day. Make sure not to take it within 2 hours of taking the antibiotic. The only other symptom I experienced was some drowsiness. My infection cleared up in 5 days. Very easy experience."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 4, 2016

"Omg. I wish I would have read this two days ago! I was prescribed this at 300 mg every 8 hours for an abscessed tooth. Two days ago. I literally feel like I have the flu! Absolutely no pain relief and the swelling in my jaw is exactly the same. On top of that my dentist is closed till Monday (today is Wednesday). I've been drinking water and taking it with food. NEVER AGAIN."

zanaBananaz December 30, 2015

"I'm on day 3 taking Clindamycin after needing a root canal on an absessed tooth. I wasn't feeling any pain before the root canal so I don't know how effective this medication is at getting rid of the infection. But, just like a previous commenter, I woke up the day after starting it with flu-like symptoms: Headache (which I almost never get), joint pain, all over body soreness, lightheaded, chills, and pain when I move my eyes. Same story - I called the Endodontist that prescribed it and they said they don't think my symptoms are side effects of the meds. I want to clear up the infection so I'll keep taking it but if I have a choice I'll never take it again. Strangely I haven't had any of the tummy issues most people have had."

Terri T (taken for less than 1 month) December 25, 2015

"I had small cyst on my leg for years -then started to hurt, I was forced to go to the walk in Clinic as it takes week to see my Family DOC)-The Doctor prescribed Teva-Clindamycin. I started to take it but the Cyst got worse. went to the emergency room. They told me the doctor should have had the Cyst removed --so they did After they removed my cyst I was hoping they would say to stop taking the Teva Clindaycin but no, on the form they said continue DAY four - can't wait to stop taking this it gives me diarrhea --and I wonder if it was needed to begin with --maybe just removing the Cyst would have stopped the infections but as I am on, as they say you can't stop an Anti biotic."

Dewy Gulati (taken for less than 1 month) December 24, 2015

"I was scared after reading the warning and side effects paper from the pharmacy and then went to look up reviews and then became absolutely terrified. I was in so much pain from having an abscess tooth I decided to take my chances! I started it on Friday and it is now Wednesday, I have one day left. I must say as of now I haven't had ANY issues whatsoever with this medication! Such a relief because I was bracing for the worst. Only thing I'm uncomfortable about is it says symptoms may appear weeks later. My advice would be don't take on an empty stomach and make sure you drink a lot of water like it says to."

Doodle jumpp December 24, 2015

"Taking clindamycin 300 mg four times per day. It works great, but you do have to follow instructions. Eat it with food; sit up for at least 10 minutes after you eat it. At least two hours after or before I take it, I take a probiotic for my gut or I eat a yogurt. I have no gut or stomach problems at all with this medication using it this way. It has done a very good job on a really bad infection in my tooth and in my jaw bone. I would recommend it BUT FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 23, 2015

"I'm taking clindamycin for a possible tooth infection/sinus infection? My jaw hurts! Has anyone experienced this as a side effect?"

soretooth December 23, 2015

"I feel taking this medication was a trade off, I exchanged pain reaching from my lymph node to the top of my head for frequent bowel movements, nausea, severe sleepiness, irritability, weakness, headaches and loss off appitite. The first two days everything was going okay and the inital pain I went to the ER for had subsided. On day three, the side effects started kicking in. I don't think I have C-Diff based on the symptoms but the side effects have me feeling totally out of it. Almost comparable to a dream state. It seems to be doing it's job but with other problems arising."

Mom2twotwiddlebugs December 20, 2015

"Used for accessed root canal. Was on Amoxicillin first and that didn't work so I tried Clindamycin. By the second day, may pain was gone BUT it gave me stomach pains. Hurts to swallow as I feel like I have razor blades in my stomach. I'd rather be in this pain than tooth pain!"

Joleil (taken for less than 1 month) December 15, 2015

"Had diarrhea since the day I started it- how would you rate an antibiotic on its effectiveness- I wouldn't give this crap to an enemy- cost me $71 for 28 pills and I looked forward everyday to being done with them!"

jchapp44 December 13, 2015

"I have been prescribed this medicine before and never had any issues and it worked great. This time around I am having horrible horrible headaches. It seems to be working for my BV, but next time when/if i get another BV I will ask for something different."

srands December 8, 2015

"Prescribed 300 Mg 3 times daily for 10 days. Got a fever, chills, body aches, muscle pain and a pounding headache behind the eyes. Nobody else reports these type of symptoms so my doctor is convinced that I got sick simultaneously with starting the treatment. My symptoms would increase and decrease with the timing of doses... And became worse with each new dose. After two days of suffering, and a continual regiment of pain relievers, I decided to stop taking the medication. Fever broke within 4 hours. Headaches improved. Slowly improved to normal after about 24 hours. I have never had a reaction like this before to any dig but Clindamycine is now on the no no list. Listen to your body. There are other less harsh antibiotics."

Consumer Alert November 25, 2015

"The antibiotic basically did its job well. I was diagnosed with acute tonsilitis. but the terrible side effects were really hard to endure! The agony of having to wait until I'm done with the whole set is just too much for me. The heartburn it gives me is one that will haunt me for a long time! It felt like I've swallowed razors that got stuck somewhere down my esophagus. The burn made me cry literally because it was so painful!! I also couldn't function well at work with the sudden bouts of headaches this drug gives me. I'll remember this drug's name for sure so that the next time my doctor prescribed this to me, I'll be sure to tell him I'm allergic to it! LOL!!!"

Kitkat08 (taken for less than 1 month) November 19, 2015

"I was prescribed this medication because my Dentist thought i had an infection due to a root canal, I became very sick on the 6th day after taking clindamycin 300 mg 4x a day. Severe stomach cramps and pain when i eat, some loose stools, and difficult to lay flat. Now i need to get in to see what my pcp can do for me."

Reyes-Cruz (taken for less than 1 month) November 8, 2015

"Hope this helps others! It has been said a hundred times before so I will say it again. MAKE SURE YOU DRINK ENOUGH WATER WHEN TAKING THIS MEDICATION! I made a bad mistake by not drinking enough water with my dose. I got no sleep from the side effect of heart burn and the accompanying chest pains. So much so that I was afraid of taking my next dose. I didn't want to go thru that again! I did talk myself into taking the next 600mg because the drug works that well. I want this infection out of me once and for all! I hope these meds work for you as they have for me. 1/2 way there. Won't be long now!"

Zabo November 5, 2015

"Had to take Mylan-Clindamycin 300 mg for 7 days for a tooth infection and the first couple of days it made me very nauseous then by the 4th day it gave me extremely bad stomach pains which I've later found out that the medication gave me stomach ulcer which is extremely painful when I eat or even drink water. I highly recommend not using this antibiotic."

Boss Life (taken for less than 1 month) October 31, 2015

"I was prescribed 300mg of clindamycin every 6 hours for 5 days for several teeth that became infected after being broken and crowned as a kid. I was terrified to take it after reading about it but I have not had any terrible side effects. Some very mild bloating and gas, but all antibiotics do that to me. Just take it with a snack and a glass of water, and take a good probiotic capsule several hours after each antibiotic capsule. This will help A LOT if you want to avoid diarrhea and a yeast infection. I would also take probiotics for a week or two after finishing the clindamycin, to help restore your body's good intestinal flora and bacteria."

Miss-mimi October 28, 2015