User Reviews for Clindamycin

Also known as: Cleocin, Cleocin HCl, Cleocin Pediatric, Cleocin Phosphate, Cleocin Phosphate ADD-Vantage

Learn more about Clindamycin.

Clindamycin Review Summary

6.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 580 medications used in the treatment of Bacterial Infection.

Reviews for Clindamycin to treat Bacterial Infection

"Had pericoronitis several times and once and a small abscess on the gum flap which partially covers my wisdom tooth. Dose was 300mg 4x a day for a week, only took 3x a day and took longer to finish the dose. Very effective at taking care of the infection. Side effects: feeling out of it/dizzy, headache/head pressure some days, strange powdery/metallic taste in mouth, diarrhea when I came off the medicine,(lasted for months the first time, ate a lot of Activia and that greatly improved stool). I have anxiety/panic disorder and these symptoms made it really hard for me to take it. TAKE WITH A LOT OF WATER, STAY HYDRATED. HAVE SMALL MEAL BEFORE+YOGURT. DONT SKIP MEALS. DO NOT LAY DOWN FOR 30 MINS AFTER TAKING."

For Pericoronitis/Abscess May 25, 2015

"DO NOT LAY DOWN after taking this pill. Felt like my throat caught on fire. Leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Makes me bloated to the point that I can't drink even water! Horrible diarrhea! Itchy skin sore throat. Tired, nauseous and moody! It basically put you into menopause! But hey my infection is gone. Lol"

Abscess tooth May 23, 2015

"Went to the ER for a severe bacterial infection in my foot and was prescribed clindamycin, 300mg every 6hrs for 10 days...it's been rough. Definite nausea and heartburn. I feel incredibly tired and have had more bowel movements than normal. My symptoms from the infection on my foot have almost gone away, but the antibiotics have been very unpleasant. I guess it's a give and take, killing the bacterial infection ends up waging war on my insides..."

petra3600 May 13, 2015

"My daughter was prescribed 300mg x 3 times a day for Strepthroat that had returned 6 days after finishing a 10 day prescription of Amoxicillin, worst stomach pains and heartburn ever, we tried drinking the water, sitting up and then Tums and Pepto but nothing helped. Waiting for Dr to call back with something else. Terrible side effects"

Strep (taken for less than 1 month) April 27, 2015

"Last Wednesday 4/22/2015, I went to the dentist for a severe tooth ache. I wasn't sure if I had a really bad cavity or an abscessed tooth. The technician takes an X-ray of the infected tooth, and the dentist offers to pull it, I say alright cause I'm thinking it is a cavity. Novocaine won't numb it, my left lower next to last jaw tooth is throbbing. The dentist tries to pull it out with a pair of forceps. I came out of the chair in pain, then she tells me I have an abscessed tooth! I've been taking this antibiotic for 5 to 6 days, and it is just now starting to take effect. I'm taking 150 mg, 2 capsules three times daily till gone. I eat before I take it, and this medicine still makes me feel nauseated."

Snow Bunny (taken for less than 1 month) April 27, 2015

"This was the first prescription for a salivary gland infection - 150mg x3 a day. I wasn't given any information about it, which is alarming after having looked up the side effects. I have thalassemia and Irritable Bowel Syndrome, so this was definitely a bad choice for me. Had to stop taking it after 6 doses, as I nearly passed out at work. After being off of it for 4 days and taking so little of it, I'm still experiencing the side effects as if I were still taking it, even with probiotics. I would recommend taking it as a last resort, but not at all if you already have digestive issues or blood disorders."

Anon453 April 21, 2015

"I woke up two days ago with the entire right side of my face swelled up like a balloon (from back of jaw to mid chin). Normally I try to tough things out - but this was quite frankly terrifying, so I ended up going to the ER. I was prescribed clindamycin 300mg every 6 hours, and naproxen twice daily. The first night (after taking two doses of the clindamycin, 1 of the naproxen) the swelling had increased by about 6%. However, a further 6 hours would have the swelling down about 50% and the pain nearly non-existant (battled with plain Advil). This is day three on the medicine and the pain is practically gone (only sore to the touch) - as is the swelling (about down to 20%, possibly even 15%). No side effects to speak of... yet."

'Soka (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2015

"this medication was prescribed to me after contracting a severe bacterial infection after scratching my eyeball. I was prescribed an eye drop by the first gp, but after my eye worsened I went to the hospital where the doctor prescribed me clindamycin, I found that it helped with the infection almost immediately. Although in saying that im on my 3rd day in and the side effects are terrible. I have a constant head ache, my throat is sore, I feel feverish, get chills and just generally feel weak and sore. I haven't yet tried a probiotic but i'm going to start tomorrow. Drink it with plenty of water! I haven't had any heartburn yet and I hope not to."

dreamtime (taken for less than 1 month) March 28, 2015

"I took this medicine after I had a lower wisdom tooth removed. I read the label on the bottle and it warned me not to lay down so I never experienced any heart burn. I took 3 pills 8 hours apart as recremended. Day 7 I woke up with a rash on my abdomen, back, chest, and upper thigh. I immediately stopped taking it ( I know you should never stop taking an antibiotic & finish until gone) but there was no way I was going to risk it. About a week after stopping the medicine I've been experiencing terrible diarreah. I never took a probiotic. I would definitely suggest one if you're takimg this medicine. Waiting to see if it clears up on its own"

Courtneyking January 24, 2015

"I had a tooth infection, my face was swollen alot. After two-three days the swelling went away! It is an effective medicine but it also leaves a terrible taste in my mouth after every pill I took. I also had lack of appetite and I lost a few kilos due to it."

daxis November 30, 2014

"I just got put on this 5 days ago for a breastfeeding related infection in my left breast. I get the worst heartburn, tightening in my chest, and SEVERE burning in my throat. It also gives me terrible indigestion when I try to eat anything. The pain lasts for hours. No one told me about the drinking full glass of water and not laying down after. I feel a little better now, after reading these testimonials. And on the plus side it is working great on getting rid of the infection."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 28, 2014

"I didn't want to take an antibiotic at all after my tooth was pulled, couple days later I realized that I need to. I started taking it. Gum looks better. I am on the 4 day of. I don't have any side effects listed on this site. But mine are different. I am a woman and I would suggest a lot of yogurt. I have some mucus developed anytime I go to the bathroom and in my nose as well. It's yellow color and not green. Feels like cold. But when I wake up in the morning it feels better when I am not taking it. Plenty water and yogurt for women. MAKE SURE YOU TAKE IT WITH FOOD. AND YOGURT. DON'T FORGET TO TAKE PROBIOTIC AFTER."

Diana fleur November 25, 2014

"My dentist prescribed me this after having a tooth pulled. After the first day on this medication I woke up around 2am with diarrhea. I've been on it for a week now and still have diarrhea numerous times throughout the day. I've lost 4 pounds because of it. Also it's left a small rash around my pubic area that hurts and itches like crazy making it painful to use the bathroom and wipe. "

Badddd November 25, 2014

"Developed a bad infection in my face from a tooth abscess. My faced swelled quite a bit. I was on penicillin for a couple days and the swelling got worse. Within a couple days of switching to clindamycin the swelling was going down. I set an alarm to take it in the middle of the night. I had to eat something small with it or I'd get nauseous and sit upright for 30 minutes. I took acidophilus and ate yogurt to help with digestive upset. I developed a full body rash by day 6 and was advised to stop taking it but by then the swelling was gone. My stomach was messed up for months after stopping. I now put it down as an allergy. "

facial cellulitis (taken for less than 1 month) November 23, 2014

"This antibiotic is very powerful, use caution and eat lots of yogurt or take acidophilus with it, or you could possibly end up with C-diff."

Raylynne (taken for less than 1 month) November 20, 2014

"This is my second time on this pill. I forgot not to lay down after taking. I have horrible heartburn right now. Almost feel like I'm going to vomit. Hoping this stops soon. Been like an hour already."

Jlovestee (taken for less than 1 month) November 3, 2014

"I was given a strep test as I had gotten it for the first time in my life in September of this year and as my neck and throat were again seeing all the symptoms in October. I was given Clindamycin 300mg as an alternative to Amoxicillin & Erythromycin as both just tear my stomach up and give me horrible diarrhea. The Doctor said to also take this medicine WITH A PROBIOTIC (Acidophilus). I did and guess what? No tummy troubles. No diarrhea.. etc. This is my 5th day and most my symptoms are gone. I'd use this antibiotic again if I had to."

Aravah (taken for less than 1 month) October 27, 2014

"I'm allergic to penicillin and clindamycin has been a blessing over the years for serious infections after other non-penicillin antibiotics have failed. In 2007 for a severe dental infection, and now for a strep infection in my leg. The doctors do not want to use this 'first' because it is so strong. Little bit of funky taste, drowsiness but overall I tolerate it OK."

Rockee (taken for less than 1 month) October 25, 2014

"I am having the same problems. Terrible taste in my mouth and after three days of taking the medicine I was up all night with horrible pain in the center of my chest and it is still ranging through the day. I had no idea what was happening until I read this site. I will be seeing my doctor today to change out this medication ASAP!"

CandyY October 16, 2014

"I was diagnosed with Facial Cellulitis in the ER 3 days ago. Was given this medicine via IV while in the ER, and sent home with a 10 day script taking 300mg 4 times daily. I have a small case of heartburn, nothing too bad. I have no other side effects to report from this medicine. My only complaint is the taking it 4 times a day. It means in the middle of the night (3am to be exact) I have to wake up for about 30 minutes just to take a pill. I like my sleep. So far it has worked. The swelling has gone down, and it seems the infection has stopped spreading. That was it's first job! I still have to take it for 7 more days, so hoping by the time I finish, this medicine completed it's final job in killing the bacteria."

Facial Cellulitis (taken for less than 1 month) October 3, 2014

"Took for mastitis. Have felt ongoing stomach pain and nausea. I've followed the directions, have been drinking plenty of water, not laying down, taking with food and eating yogurt but still feel gross all the time."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 13, 2014

"This is the second time I've been prescribed this for tooth infections. The first time I had very little side effects and it cleared up a very bad tooth infection but this time after first couple days taking it I all of a sudden got horrible pains in my chest. It would hurt breathe in or even to swallow. I was considering going to hospital but now I have read this has happen to others on this medication. It does work on getting rid of bad infections but the chest pains are very hard. Definitely drink lots of water with and after taking it and also eating something right before of after helps also."

Sha331 September 4, 2014

"Prescribed after surgery on hand, told to take 1 150mg capsule every 8 hours, well that meaning one right before bed. HORRIBLE IDEA!! I wasn't informed to drink a whole glass of water with or not to lay down up to 30 mins after. So about a week into taking it on my night time one (midnight) took it and went to bed. Woke up with the worlds worst heartburn. So bad I'm asking my doc at next appointment if I can switch scripts."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 4, 2014

"Two bottles of water and a can of tonic water later and my heartburn is RAGING. Don't lay down after taking this medication. "

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 1, 2014

"I was prescribed this for a severe case of tonsillitis and it gave me horrible chest pains. The bad taste in my mouth and the diarrhea is tolerable, but the chest pains are horrid. I get pains whenever I take it and now whenever I eat as well. My dosage is 4 capsules every 8 hours. Taking probiotics once a day definitely helps with the diarrhea."

kigraverson August 23, 2014