Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Clindamycin

Also known as: Cleocin, Cleocin HCl, Cleocin Pediatric, Cleocin Phosphate

Learn more about Clindamycin.

Clindamycin review summary

6.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 878 medications used in the treatment of Bacterial Infection.

Reviews for Clindamycin to treat Bacterial Infection

Review by Happyheartburn (taken for less than 1 month):

I went to the ER because I could not swallow due to the pus pockets on my tonsils and my swollen glands. They gave me a dose of this medicine in the hospital and 2 hours later I could swallow again. I got the prescription filled and took it, holy heartburn. It is worth the pain of the heartburn because this medicine definitely worked for me.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 25, 2014 1:29 PM

Review by dogbytes (taken for less than 1 month):

I had six upper teeth that were erupted pulled yesterday. The night before I had major swelling in my face from my upper lip to my lower eye. My wife was afraid of the swelling but there was little we could do due to the fact that it was late at night and I had a dental appointment the next morning at 9.00 am. I went in and had the teeth yanked out, anyway I started with clindamycin that afternoon and I have had four doses of 300mg now. I haven't had that much problem with heartburn (which I always get but I had taken Zantac last night). I do get a burpy after taste but it's manageable. I will update as to any further developments. But my swelling has greatly been reduced.

March 21, 2014 7:37 PM

Review by Marcijo1994:

I was prescribed this medication every 6 hrs for a severe tooth infection that was sore to my neck. It's been 3 days and the pain is subsiding a bit, very little heartburn, but I also am on prescription Prilosec. You cannot take any heartburn meds for 2-4hrs before and after taking clindamycin. My dosage is every 6 hrs. So far my worst side effect is the stomach cramping and I have the absolute worst metal taste in my mouth. Nothing seems to take it away. I suggest definitely following the directions exactly, especially with drinking water and NOT laying down for at least 20-30mins.

March 11, 2014 6:06 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

I had to take this for a gum/nerve infection & the medicine did work very well but the heartburn is unbearable. It says don't lay down for 10 minutes but I'd say don't lie down for about 30min (I learned the hard way) also make sure you take it with a lot of water.

March 10, 2014 5:43 AM

Review by Ftuser (taken for less than 1 month):

I had a severe dental and gum infection. After two bouts of penicillin my dentist prescribed Clindamyacin. I have two days left of seven. I read all the Rx materials and nothing on it about not laying down. Every night I got heartburn. This morning my stomach is in knots and I have terrible heartburn. Your comments here have helped me feel at ease about it. I have been eating yogurt and taking probiotics to help but not at my 3:30 am dose. Will fix that right away. It has helped my infection.

March 2, 2014 12:32 PM

Review by God2224:

PLEASE READ(VERY HELPFUL TIPS FOR HEARTBURN/STOMACH PAIN) the second day I started taking the pill, I had horrible stomach pain and heartburn. I tried to get of the medicine, but the doctor said I needed these. Anyways here's the help, before taking your pill eat a big meal (for breakfast I have a bowl of cereal, couple slice of bread, and some yogurt) MAKE SURE YOU HAVE YOGURT BEFORE TAKING THE PILL. It helps A LOT. I am now 6 days in and only have slight heartburn. I suggest 2 servings of yogurt, 2-3 pieces of bread, and something on the side. I take these pills 3 times a day, so I have a big meal on the morning, 3pm, and 11pm. Trust me, the yogurt really works!

February 28, 2014 11:33 PM

Started taking this 4 days ago, 300mg 3x daily. After 1 day the swelling started to go down and by day 4 the swelling is gone. After 2-3 days the pain subsided (it is still there, but a LOT less severe). But as the pain subsided, in came the nasty taste in the mouth. I tried mouthwash (doesn't help)... I've tried drinking plenty of water (doesn't help)... and I've tried gum (works temporarily but as soon as the gums out of the mouth, the taste comes back and my jaw starts hurting when I chew it.

January 25, 2014 11:47 PM

Review by atthoma (taken for less than 1 month):

I am a Type 1 diabetic with a chronic leg ulcer. Prescribed 600mg clindamycin 2x daily. Now I figured out the heartburn after reading this. The leg wound isn't healing yet, am in day 6 of treatment out of 20 days. Pray this works.

January 10, 2014 12:07 AM

Review by fla1964 (taken for less than 1 month):

Being treated for a leg ulcer with this medication. I have 5 pills left out of the 2 wk dose and I am finding it hard to finish. I too am experiencing extreme heartburn on top of the acid reflux I already have, so bad I have knots in my stomach which is making it hard for me to eat. It is very painful when the food goes down. My chest hurt and I was tired a lot after taking this. It did though clear up this infection right away. Going to try and get through the last 5. Reading others posts have been so helpful. I knew nothing about not lying down for 30 mins after taking it and I will get back on yogurt to. Thanks for all the tips

December 24, 2013 1:42 AM

Review by Jenbug2007 (taken for less than 1 month):

Oh my goodness the heartburn. It is almost unbearable. And just like with any other antibiotic it seems, there is diarrhea. Just make sure to drink lots of water with this and pray you get through all the pills as quick as possible!

December 11, 2013 2:30 PM

Review by tab8585 (taken for less than 1 month):

I was prescribed clindamycin 4 days ago for a gum/nerve infection due to an absessed tooth. I started to get pretty nervous about the heartburn I was experiencing. Worst of my life! Water is key, and so far so good. My swelling and pain went away after 2 days. I also noticed taking it every 6 hours EXACTLY (or however long you're prescribed to) helps a bunch too. Oh, and water, not laying down for about 30 minutes after, and more water.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 9, 2013 1:58 AM

Review by baby brad:

I have had no problems with this clindamycin, no heartburn, nothing. It has helped me out a lot. Just do as the bottle says don't lay down for 10 mins and you should have no problems.

December 9, 2013 12:50 AM

Review by Nathan123:

Every time I take a pill I get heartburn. It varies in intensity.

November 6, 2013 2:13 PM

Review by jmm24 (taken for less than 1 month):

All I can say is I had two teeth pulled 6 days ago, by the 2nd day I had a horrible taste in my mouth, a constant headache, and pain in my gums while on pain killers. I went to the ER and the Dr prescribed 300 mg every 6 hours. So 4 days now on the medicine and pain killers and my gums still hurts and I still have a headache? I have been prescribed this medicine in the past and it normally works with no side effects. I have no idea why am I still in pain, while the pain killers do not make it go away, it makes the pain tolerable so I can do my every day things.

November 4, 2013 10:11 AM

Review by eelhead:

Cleocin (clindamycin): Tooth infection. After taking 5 of the 28 pills I had the worst heartburn of my life and could not even lay down. After 10 of them I ended up in the ER with chest pains, excruciating heartburn, diarrhea, and the itchiest hives from head to toe. They were however very effective at clearing up the infection which in turn reduced the pain in my mouth significantly. So for me, where tooth pain is almost intolerable it was a trade off I accept.

November 3, 2013 10:26 AM

Review by Lil Tree (taken for less than 1 month):

I was prescribed clindamycin for a mouth (not tooth) infection. I won't know if it worked until I am done with it and the infection stays gone. The side effects have been a bummer! Horrible heartburn, fatigue and nausea. The heartburn is manageable with lots of water and huge bottle of tums. Kefir has helped too. I want the infection to buzz off but this stuff is a drag. I have never had an antibiotic beat me up like this

October 26, 2013 7:38 PM

Review by Nicole1989ore:

Was prescribed clindamycin today for an abscessed tooth. I am waiting to get a root canal down on a bottom molar (2 weeks from now!). During my waiting process, my tooth became infected. Had tried amoxocillin, which failed... And then the right side of my face started to swell and that's when the PAIN became so bad I ran to the emergency room. I took my first pill a couple of hours ago but haven't noticed a difference. Haven't had any heartburn or any other side affect. I took some oxycodone and ibuprofen about 20 minutes ago, I think it's starting to help. I hope this works! Keeping my fingers crossed. I can't take one more day of this terrible, excruciating, head-banging on walls-throwing objects across room PAIN!

October 25, 2013 10:39 PM

Review by Kimboo:

Had a horrible toothache, it was infection to point jaw was swollen. Worked after about 24 hours, was pain free with no side effects.

August 23, 2013 8:13 PM

Review by anon5431:

Dr gave me this prescription for a tooth that was abscessed. The swelling had intensified after taking a hot shower which made it look like I had a softball in my jaw. The pain from it was utterly unimaginable and I was popping Vicodin and Tylenol 3s like skittles. I did hear this particular antibiotic is linked to causing a specific disease in the colon because antibiotics do not discriminate when it comes to bacteria. Good or bad it has to go. However, after taking my first dose of this and a ibuprofen, the pain literally disappeared within 30 minutes. It was amazing. I cried, then went to sleep. No terrible side effects other than soft stool.

August 9, 2013 5:41 AM

Review by AndyJB:

I didn't notice the heartburn until the second day of taking the medicine and it wasn't really too bad until the fourth.. that's when I decided to read the label. Here's the thing with this one, I think the main problem is the capsule and our tendency to take medicine just before going to bed - with this one that is very bad! I can take pretty much any pill without water (I wasn't doing that), I almost *never* get heartburn and it took me a while to figure out what was going on. Reading the pill container label it specifically tells you - do not lie down for at least 10 minutes after taking this. That should be your first warning that this one doesn't go down easily. So drink plenty of water with it and be prepared for the burn.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 15, 2013 9:30 AM

Review by PSteele01:

I was prescribed 300mg, 4 times a day for 10 days for a tooth abscess. I too felt the "burn", but my burn was immediately after taking the capsule. I could feel the burn as it went down my esophagus. What I found relieved it was drinking at least 8oz of water with the pill, and then topping it off with a few spoonfuls of yogurt. No more burn as it went down, no more stomach upset.

July 12, 2013 10:07 PM

Review by Meowy:

I took clindamycin for two days before my extraction of my wisdom tooth and then two days after, I had some heart burn feeling and I was taking it with food. I'm tired of taking antibiotics and have to deal with the aftermath of flora being screwed up in my system for weeks. So, I decided to stop taking it. I went to my MD and they gave me something equally strong and effective, but gentle on the digest system.

June 26, 2013 12:06 AM

Review by Geege453:

I started to take this medicine on a Friday and last night (Monday night) I woke up in the middle of the night had the worst chest pain that I have ever experienced in my life. I have never felt pain like this that has actually scared me into feeling that I need to call 911. I eventually drank a lot of water and it helped me feel so temporary relief. Managed to fall back asleep but when I awoke this morning the pain is still there. Not as serious, but I gave my doctor a call and they recommended taking Tums. I took the Tums and the pain is not so severe but I'm pretty nervous to take these pills now. Can't say if its helped my infection yet because I have to go back to the doctors for a follow up for that to be determined.

June 4, 2013 9:46 AM

Review by Tdavey:

Had an awful infection along my right side of my gum line, including a tooth that was abscessed. I have terrible side effects to almost any antibiotic so I was not very impressed having to take it. I started the medicine yesterday, and drank it with tons of water, made sure I didn't lay down for almost an hour and also took acidophilus. I had no issues whatsoever, however this morning after taking the first dose I started with heartburn, I've also noticed an odd taste in my mouth. I took Pepcid and hope that will help knock the heartburn back a bit. Seems to have been improvement with the abscess already so I hope this is as bad as it gets. In comparison to the toothache, I'll take the heartburn. Drink plenty of water!

May 6, 2013 7:33 AM

Review by JayfromMD:

Was prescribed the meds for a tooth infection after the first part of root canal (just had pulp removed due to inflammation but not the roots). Took my first dose before bed, woke up the next morning feeling wonderful. I have not suffered from the heartburn or anything. My tooth really feels great, no pain, all the tartar left on my teeth have started to fall off while brushing, and I can notice a big difference in my overall health. It does make me extremely sleepy and nauseous though. I believe it is worth it. The tooth pain was so bad I could not talk, close my mouth, or even drink. Even hurt to swallow my own saliva. I will recommend this antibiotic for anyone that has a weak immune system already. DO NOT USE TOBACCO WHILE USING THIS MED.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 10, 2013 10:04 AM