User Reviews for Clindamycin

Also known as: Cleocin, Cleocin HCl, Cleocin Pediatric, Cleocin Phosphate, Cleocin Phosphate ADD-Vantage

Learn more about Clindamycin.

Clindamycin review summary

6.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 881 medications used in the treatment of Bacterial Infection.

Reviews for Clindamycin to treat Bacterial Infection

Review by kigraverson:

I was prescribed this for a severe case of tonsillitis and it gave me horrible chest pains. The bad taste in my mouth and the diarrhea is tolerable, but the chest pains are horrid. I get pains whenever I take it and now whenever I eat as well. My dosage is 4 capsules every 8 hours. Taking probiotics once a day definitely helps with the diarrhea.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 23, 2014 10:17 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

I noticed right away that after I took Clindamycin that I had a bad taste in my mouth and tightening in my chest, which increased in intensity and longevity each day of taking it. After 5 days my chest hurt so bad I almost went to the ER. It felt like a ton of bricks on my chest, but I was breathing normally.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 20, 2014 6:29 PM

Review by DH23 (taken for less than 1 month):

I had an abscess that was underneath the tooth, dentist did a root canal without treating it first, the next day my cheek was totally swollen, the abscess had blown up. I went back and they prescribed clindamyacin 4 doses a day. The first day was horrible, bad taste in my mouth, and generally feeling like crap. Every dose became easier and easier. So best advice I can give is take a good probiotic and lots of water, if you are a female to avoid a yeast infection, do not take within 2 hours of the antibiotic. Also I got a very bitter taste in my mouth every time I took the medicine, it wasn't until the 3rd day that the bitterness finally subsided. I had no heartburn like others did. Stick with this medicine and you will see results.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 11, 2014 5:25 PM

Review by Anon21067 (taken for less than 1 month):

I had an underlying infection after having my wisdom teeth removed. My doc put me on clindamycin 1.5mg and it worked magic. I felt remarkably better the next day after starting this and didn't suffer any of the side effects.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 1, 2014 12:26 PM

Review by The DIrector (taken for less than 1 month):

I was scared away from using this by all of the horrifying reviews I read, but after Z-pac did nothing, the pain forced me to try it anyway. I have had absolutely no side effects, and after taking it for a week, the infection in my tooth seems to be gone. It may have helped that I also took a probiotic each morning.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 28, 2014 2:02 PM

Review by Jbhctim (taken for less than 1 month):

I had my wisdom teeth removed 3 weeks ago and everything was fine until yesterday morning my face swelled and had pain that basically locked my jaw in place. I went to my ortho surgeon and he prescribed clindamycin for an infection. I'm prescribed it for once every 4 hours. After taking the first pill I went and laid down not thinking about it...burning came immediately. I'm drinking water like crazy and it's helping but I'm worried for what is to come. I've never had side effects to any medicine.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 28, 2014 12:43 PM

Review by Happyheartburn (taken for less than 1 month):

I went to the ER because I could not swallow due to the pus pockets on my tonsils and my swollen glands. They gave me a dose of this medicine in the hospital and 2 hours later I could swallow again. I got the prescription filled and took it, holy heartburn. It is worth the pain of the heartburn because this medicine definitely worked for me.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 25, 2014 1:29 PM

Review by dogbytes (taken for less than 1 month):

I had six upper teeth that were erupted pulled yesterday. The night before I had major swelling in my face from my upper lip to my lower eye. My wife was afraid of the swelling but there was little we could do due to the fact that it was late at night and I had a dental appointment the next morning at 9.00 am. I went in and had the teeth yanked out, anyway I started with clindamycin that afternoon and I have had four doses of 300mg now. I haven't had that much problem with heartburn (which I always get but I had taken Zantac last night). I do get a burpy after taste but it's manageable. I will update as to any further developments. But my swelling has greatly been reduced.

March 21, 2014 7:37 PM

Review by Marcijo1994:

I was prescribed this medication every 6 hrs for a severe tooth infection that was sore to my neck. It's been 3 days and the pain is subsiding a bit, very little heartburn, but I also am on prescription Prilosec. You cannot take any heartburn meds for 2-4hrs before and after taking clindamycin. My dosage is every 6 hrs. So far my worst side effect is the stomach cramping and I have the absolute worst metal taste in my mouth. Nothing seems to take it away. I suggest definitely following the directions exactly, especially with drinking water and NOT laying down for at least 20-30mins.

March 11, 2014 6:06 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

I had to take this for a gum/nerve infection & the medicine did work very well but the heartburn is unbearable. It says don't lay down for 10 minutes but I'd say don't lie down for about 30min (I learned the hard way) also make sure you take it with a lot of water.

March 10, 2014 5:43 AM

Review by Ftuser (taken for less than 1 month):

I had a severe dental and gum infection. After two bouts of penicillin my dentist prescribed Clindamyacin. I have two days left of seven. I read all the Rx materials and nothing on it about not laying down. Every night I got heartburn. This morning my stomach is in knots and I have terrible heartburn. Your comments here have helped me feel at ease about it. I have been eating yogurt and taking probiotics to help but not at my 3:30 am dose. Will fix that right away. It has helped my infection.

March 2, 2014 12:32 PM

Review by God2224:

PLEASE READ(VERY HELPFUL TIPS FOR HEARTBURN/STOMACH PAIN) the second day I started taking the pill, I had horrible stomach pain and heartburn. I tried to get of the medicine, but the doctor said I needed these. Anyways here's the help, before taking your pill eat a big meal (for breakfast I have a bowl of cereal, couple slice of bread, and some yogurt) MAKE SURE YOU HAVE YOGURT BEFORE TAKING THE PILL. It helps A LOT. I am now 6 days in and only have slight heartburn. I suggest 2 servings of yogurt, 2-3 pieces of bread, and something on the side. I take these pills 3 times a day, so I have a big meal on the morning, 3pm, and 11pm. Trust me, the yogurt really works!

February 28, 2014 11:33 PM

Started taking this 4 days ago, 300mg 3x daily. After 1 day the swelling started to go down and by day 4 the swelling is gone. After 2-3 days the pain subsided (it is still there, but a LOT less severe). But as the pain subsided, in came the nasty taste in the mouth. I tried mouthwash (doesn't help)... I've tried drinking plenty of water (doesn't help)... and I've tried gum (works temporarily but as soon as the gums out of the mouth, the taste comes back and my jaw starts hurting when I chew it.

January 25, 2014 11:47 PM

Review by atthoma (taken for less than 1 month):

I am a Type 1 diabetic with a chronic leg ulcer. Prescribed 600mg clindamycin 2x daily. Now I figured out the heartburn after reading this. The leg wound isn't healing yet, am in day 6 of treatment out of 20 days. Pray this works.

January 10, 2014 12:07 AM

Review by fla1964 (taken for less than 1 month):

Being treated for a leg ulcer with this medication. I have 5 pills left out of the 2 wk dose and I am finding it hard to finish. I too am experiencing extreme heartburn on top of the acid reflux I already have, so bad I have knots in my stomach which is making it hard for me to eat. It is very painful when the food goes down. My chest hurt and I was tired a lot after taking this. It did though clear up this infection right away. Going to try and get through the last 5. Reading others posts have been so helpful. I knew nothing about not lying down for 30 mins after taking it and I will get back on yogurt to. Thanks for all the tips

December 24, 2013 1:42 AM

Review by Jenbug2007 (taken for less than 1 month):

Oh my goodness the heartburn. It is almost unbearable. And just like with any other antibiotic it seems, there is diarrhea. Just make sure to drink lots of water with this and pray you get through all the pills as quick as possible!

December 11, 2013 2:30 PM

Review by tab8585 (taken for less than 1 month):

I was prescribed clindamycin 4 days ago for a gum/nerve infection due to an absessed tooth. I started to get pretty nervous about the heartburn I was experiencing. Worst of my life! Water is key, and so far so good. My swelling and pain went away after 2 days. I also noticed taking it every 6 hours EXACTLY (or however long you're prescribed to) helps a bunch too. Oh, and water, not laying down for about 30 minutes after, and more water.

December 9, 2013 1:58 AM

Review by baby brad:

I have had no problems with this clindamycin, no heartburn, nothing. It has helped me out a lot. Just do as the bottle says don't lay down for 10 mins and you should have no problems.

December 9, 2013 12:50 AM

Review by Nathan123:

Every time I take a pill I get heartburn. It varies in intensity.

November 6, 2013 2:13 PM

Review by jmm24 (taken for less than 1 month):

All I can say is I had two teeth pulled 6 days ago, by the 2nd day I had a horrible taste in my mouth, a constant headache, and pain in my gums while on pain killers. I went to the ER and the Dr prescribed 300 mg every 6 hours. So 4 days now on the medicine and pain killers and my gums still hurts and I still have a headache? I have been prescribed this medicine in the past and it normally works with no side effects. I have no idea why am I still in pain, while the pain killers do not make it go away, it makes the pain tolerable so I can do my every day things.

November 4, 2013 10:11 AM

Review by eelhead:

Cleocin (clindamycin): Tooth infection. After taking 5 of the 28 pills I had the worst heartburn of my life and could not even lay down. After 10 of them I ended up in the ER with chest pains, excruciating heartburn, diarrhea, and the itchiest hives from head to toe. They were however very effective at clearing up the infection which in turn reduced the pain in my mouth significantly. So for me, where tooth pain is almost intolerable it was a trade off I accept.

November 3, 2013 10:26 AM

Review by Lil Tree (taken for less than 1 month):

I was prescribed clindamycin for a mouth (not tooth) infection. I won't know if it worked until I am done with it and the infection stays gone. The side effects have been a bummer! Horrible heartburn, fatigue and nausea. The heartburn is manageable with lots of water and huge bottle of tums. Kefir has helped too. I want the infection to buzz off but this stuff is a drag. I have never had an antibiotic beat me up like this

October 26, 2013 7:38 PM

Review by Nicole1989ore:

Was prescribed clindamycin today for an abscessed tooth. I am waiting to get a root canal down on a bottom molar (2 weeks from now!). During my waiting process, my tooth became infected. Had tried amoxocillin, which failed... And then the right side of my face started to swell and that's when the PAIN became so bad I ran to the emergency room. I took my first pill a couple of hours ago but haven't noticed a difference. Haven't had any heartburn or any other side affect. I took some oxycodone and ibuprofen about 20 minutes ago, I think it's starting to help. I hope this works! Keeping my fingers crossed. I can't take one more day of this terrible, excruciating, head-banging on walls-throwing objects across room PAIN!

October 25, 2013 10:39 PM

Review by Kimboo:

Had a horrible toothache, it was infection to point jaw was swollen. Worked after about 24 hours, was pain free with no side effects.

August 23, 2013 8:13 PM

Review by anon5431:

Dr gave me this prescription for a tooth that was abscessed. The swelling had intensified after taking a hot shower which made it look like I had a softball in my jaw. The pain from it was utterly unimaginable and I was popping Vicodin and Tylenol 3s like skittles. I did hear this particular antibiotic is linked to causing a specific disease in the colon because antibiotics do not discriminate when it comes to bacteria. Good or bad it has to go. However, after taking my first dose of this and a ibuprofen, the pain literally disappeared within 30 minutes. It was amazing. I cried, then went to sleep. No terrible side effects other than soft stool.

August 9, 2013 5:41 AM