Pill Identifier App

User Reviews for Clindamycin

Also known as: Cleocin, Cleocin HCl, Cleocin Pediatric, Cleocin Phosphate, Cleocin Phosphate ADD-Vantage

Learn more about Clindamycin.

Clindamycin review summary

6.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 847 medications used in the treatment of Bacterial Infection.

Reviews for Clindamycin to treat Bacterial Infection

Review by Courtneyking:

I took this medicine after I had a lower wisdom tooth removed. I read the label on the bottle and it warned me not to lay down so I never experienced any heart burn. I took 3 pills 8 hours apart as recremended. Day 7 I woke up with a rash on my abdomen, back, chest, and upper thigh. I immediately stopped taking it ( I know you should never stop taking an antibiotic & finish until gone) but there was no way I was going to risk it. About a week after stopping the medicine I've been experiencing terrible diarreah. I never took a probiotic. I would definitely suggest one if you're takimg this medicine. Waiting to see if it clears up on its own

January 24, 2015 6:17 PM

Review by daxis:

I had a tooth infection, my face was swollen alot. After two-three days the swelling went away! It is an effective medicine but it also leaves a terrible taste in my mouth after every pill I took. I also had lack of appetite and I lost a few kilos due to it.

November 30, 2014 6:52 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

I just got put on this 5 days ago for a breastfeeding related infection in my left breast. I get the worst heartburn, tightening in my chest, and SEVERE burning in my throat. It also gives me terrible indigestion when I try to eat anything. The pain lasts for hours. No one told me about the drinking full glass of water and not laying down after. I feel a little better now, after reading these testimonials. And on the plus side it is working great on getting rid of the infection.

November 28, 2014 12:39 AM

Review by Diana fleur:

I didn't want to take an antibiotic at all after my tooth was pulled, couple days later I realized that I need to. I started taking it. Gum looks better. I am on the 4 day of. I don't have any side effects listed on this site. But mine are different. I am a woman and I would suggest a lot of yogurt. I have some mucus developed anytime I go to the bathroom and in my nose as well. It's yellow color and not green. Feels like cold. But when I wake up in the morning it feels better when I am not taking it. Plenty water and yogurt for women. MAKE SURE YOU TAKE IT WITH FOOD. AND YOGURT. DON'T FORGET TO TAKE PROBIOTIC AFTER.

November 25, 2014 4:05 PM

Review by Badddd:

My dentist prescribed me this after having a tooth pulled. After the first day on this medication I woke up around 2am with diarrhea. I've been on it for a week now and still have diarrhea numerous times throughout the day. I've lost 4 pounds because of it. Also it's left a small rash around my pubic area that hurts and itches like crazy making it painful to use the bathroom and wipe.

November 25, 2014 8:53 AM

Review by facial cellulitis (taken for less than 1 month):

Developed a bad infection in my face from a tooth abscess. My faced swelled quite a bit. I was on penicillin for a couple days and the swelling got worse. Within a couple days of switching to clindamycin the swelling was going down. I set an alarm to take it in the middle of the night. I had to eat something small with it or I'd get nauseous and sit upright for 30 minutes. I took acidophilus and ate yogurt to help with digestive upset. I developed a full body rash by day 6 and was advised to stop taking it but by then the swelling was gone. My stomach was messed up for months after stopping. I now put it down as an allergy.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 23, 2014 9:40 PM

Review by Raylynne (taken for less than 1 month):

This antibiotic is very powerful, use caution and eat lots of yogurt or take acidophilus with it, or you could possibly end up with C-diff.

November 20, 2014 12:41 AM

Review by Jlovestee (taken for less than 1 month):

This is my second time on this pill. I forgot not to lay down after taking. I have horrible heartburn right now. Almost feel like I'm going to vomit. Hoping this stops soon. Been like an hour already.

November 3, 2014 8:56 PM

Review by Aravah (taken for less than 1 month):

I was given a strep test as I had gotten it for the first time in my life in September of this year and as my neck and throat were again seeing all the symptoms in October. I was given Clindamycin 300mg as an alternative to Amoxicillin & Erythromycin as both just tear my stomach up and give me horrible diarrhea. The Doctor said to also take this medicine WITH A PROBIOTIC (Acidophilus). I did and guess what? No tummy troubles. No diarrhea.. etc. This is my 5th day and most my symptoms are gone. I'd use this antibiotic again if I had to.

October 27, 2014 12:46 AM

Review by Rockee (taken for less than 1 month):

I'm allergic to penicillin and clindamycin has been a blessing over the years for serious infections after other non-penicillin antibiotics have failed. In 2007 for a severe dental infection, and now for a strep infection in my leg. The doctors do not want to use this 'first' because it is so strong. Little bit of funky taste, drowsiness but overall I tolerate it OK.

October 25, 2014 3:31 PM

Review by CandyY:

I am having the same problems. Terrible taste in my mouth and after three days of taking the medicine I was up all night with horrible pain in the center of my chest and it is still ranging through the day. I had no idea what was happening until I read this site. I will be seeing my doctor today to change out this medication ASAP!

October 16, 2014 11:00 AM

Review by Facial Cellulitis (taken for less than 1 month):

I was diagnosed with Facial Cellulitis in the ER 3 days ago. Was given this medicine via IV while in the ER, and sent home with a 10 day script taking 300mg 4 times daily. I have a small case of heartburn, nothing too bad. I have no other side effects to report from this medicine. My only complaint is the taking it 4 times a day. It means in the middle of the night (3am to be exact) I have to wake up for about 30 minutes just to take a pill. I like my sleep. So far it has worked. The swelling has gone down, and it seems the infection has stopped spreading. That was it's first job! I still have to take it for 7 more days, so hoping by the time I finish, this medicine completed it's final job in killing the bacteria.

October 3, 2014 2:44 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Took for mastitis. Have felt ongoing stomach pain and nausea. I've followed the directions, have been drinking plenty of water, not laying down, taking with food and eating yogurt but still feel gross all the time.

September 13, 2014 4:02 AM

Review by Sha331:

This is the second time I've been prescribed this for tooth infections. The first time I had very little side effects and it cleared up a very bad tooth infection but this time after first couple days taking it I all of a sudden got horrible pains in my chest. It would hurt breathe in or even to swallow. I was considering going to hospital but now I have read this has happen to others on this medication. It does work on getting rid of bad infections but the chest pains are very hard. Definitely drink lots of water with and after taking it and also eating something right before of after helps also.

September 4, 2014 2:51 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Prescribed after surgery on hand, told to take 1 150mg capsule every 8 hours, well that meaning one right before bed. HORRIBLE IDEA!! I wasn't informed to drink a whole glass of water with or not to lay down up to 30 mins after. So about a week into taking it on my night time one (midnight) took it and went to bed. Woke up with the worlds worst heartburn. So bad I'm asking my doc at next appointment if I can switch scripts.

September 4, 2014 5:18 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Two bottles of water and a can of tonic water later and my heartburn is RAGING. Don't lay down after taking this medication.

September 1, 2014 8:51 AM

Review by kigraverson:

I was prescribed this for a severe case of tonsillitis and it gave me horrible chest pains. The bad taste in my mouth and the diarrhea is tolerable, but the chest pains are horrid. I get pains whenever I take it and now whenever I eat as well. My dosage is 4 capsules every 8 hours. Taking probiotics once a day definitely helps with the diarrhea.

August 23, 2014 10:17 AM

Review by seway (taken for less than 1 month):

I was taking this for a tonsil infection that neither amoxicillin or erythromycin could take care of. It worked like a charm, and is the first antibiotic I have taken that didn't have any side effects at all. My vision also became better, so now I don't have to use glasses anymore. Penicillin make me tired. Erythromycin wrecked med totally in ways I couldn't imagine, it even made my asthma I didn't knew I had, a 100 times worse, permanently! Azithromycin (the 2 chlamydia/gonnorhea pills) made me tired and gave me a day of extreme diarrhea. Clindamycin (Called "Dalacin") Is the first one that just works without ANY side-effects at all. And it also it made my vision go from poor to HD, so I haven't used glasses ever since.

August 22, 2014 1:06 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

I noticed right away that after I took Clindamycin that I had a bad taste in my mouth and tightening in my chest, which increased in intensity and longevity each day of taking it. After 5 days my chest hurt so bad I almost went to the ER. It felt like a ton of bricks on my chest, but I was breathing normally.

August 20, 2014 6:29 PM

Review by DH23 (taken for less than 1 month):

I had an abscess that was underneath the tooth, dentist did a root canal without treating it first, the next day my cheek was totally swollen, the abscess had blown up. I went back and they prescribed clindamyacin 4 doses a day. The first day was horrible, bad taste in my mouth, and generally feeling like crap. Every dose became easier and easier. So best advice I can give is take a good probiotic and lots of water, if you are a female to avoid a yeast infection, do not take within 2 hours of the antibiotic. Also I got a very bitter taste in my mouth every time I took the medicine, it wasn't until the 3rd day that the bitterness finally subsided. I had no heartburn like others did. Stick with this medicine and you will see results.

August 11, 2014 5:25 PM

Review by Anon21067 (taken for less than 1 month):

I had an underlying infection after having my wisdom teeth removed. My doc put me on clindamycin 1.5mg and it worked magic. I felt remarkably better the next day after starting this and didn't suffer any of the side effects.

August 1, 2014 12:26 PM

Review by The DIrector (taken for less than 1 month):

I was scared away from using this by all of the horrifying reviews I read, but after Z-pac did nothing, the pain forced me to try it anyway. I have had absolutely no side effects, and after taking it for a week, the infection in my tooth seems to be gone. It may have helped that I also took a probiotic each morning.

July 28, 2014 2:02 PM

Review by Jbhctim (taken for less than 1 month):

I had my wisdom teeth removed 3 weeks ago and everything was fine until yesterday morning my face swelled and had pain that basically locked my jaw in place. I went to my ortho surgeon and he prescribed clindamycin for an infection. I'm prescribed it for once every 4 hours. After taking the first pill I went and laid down not thinking about it...burning came immediately. I'm drinking water like crazy and it's helping but I'm worried for what is to come. I've never had side effects to any medicine.

July 28, 2014 12:43 PM

Review by Happyheartburn (taken for less than 1 month):

I went to the ER because I could not swallow due to the pus pockets on my tonsils and my swollen glands. They gave me a dose of this medicine in the hospital and 2 hours later I could swallow again. I got the prescription filled and took it, holy heartburn. It is worth the pain of the heartburn because this medicine definitely worked for me.

May 25, 2014 1:29 PM

Review by dogbytes (taken for less than 1 month):

I had six upper teeth that were erupted pulled yesterday. The night before I had major swelling in my face from my upper lip to my lower eye. My wife was afraid of the swelling but there was little we could do due to the fact that it was late at night and I had a dental appointment the next morning at 9.00 am. I went in and had the teeth yanked out, anyway I started with clindamycin that afternoon and I have had four doses of 300mg now. I haven't had that much problem with heartburn (which I always get but I had taken Zantac last night). I do get a burpy after taste but it's manageable. I will update as to any further developments. But my swelling has greatly been reduced.

March 21, 2014 7:37 PM