User Reviews for Clindamycin

Also known as: Cleocin, Cleocin HCl, Cleocin Pediatric, Cleocin Phosphate, Cleocin Phosphate ADD-Vantage

Learn more about Clindamycin.

Clindamycin Review Summary

6.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 637 medications used in the treatment of Bacterial Infection.

Reviews for Clindamycin to treat Bacterial Infection

"This medicine does a quick job of removing infection. Im taking this due to an abscessed tooth & the next day, Im feeling no pain. The only complications Im having is the side effects. Painful, awful stomach cramps where it feels like Im being stabbed & the blade is twisting around. The pain comes in waves. Also, Im terribly gassy on both ends & I have no appetite & a huge headache. I have found if I eat something fatty before and yogurt with it helps. I take 300mg 3x a day for 7 days. Im on day 2. Effective drug, horrible side effects."

Marlena A August 13, 2015

"I'm 32 weeks pregnant and I had an absess and really bad infection in my mouth. I was put on Clindamycin 6 days ago and had 2 of my molars pulled 3 days after I started the meds. I feel a million times better, but I've had diarrhea a couple times and very mild heartburn once. I already eat yogurt twice a day so I don't know if that helped me out with some of the side effects. I'm on 300mgs 3 times a day. I do get a bit nauseous. Even though these side effects aren't fun I would rather deal with them any day than the pain I was feeling from the infection. It was unbearable."

Manda Lynn August 10, 2015

"Took prescribed dosage of 1200mg x 10 days. I felt I was being overdosed because I ended up in hospital in past from OD. Dr diagnosed me with Strep. No culture taken. It's been 3 weeks after. A knee got tendinitis and now both Achilles heels have knot and I can barely stand or walk. Horrible taste while taking Med. Loss of appetite. Nervousness. Mouth sores are back. Can't work."

Etinks August 7, 2015

Cleocin (clindamycin): "Well, just took my last dose of this drug, Good Riddance!!! While it was effective in getting rid of the infection, it brought with it some very awful side effects. A strange metallic taste, fatigue, loose stools, pelvic cramping, abdominal pain on both sides, stomach discomfort, mood swings. I had to send my kids to a relatives house to finish this med because I have been feeling awful. No one told me to eat probiotics religiously, I do eat yogurt during any antibiotic treatment, but this specific drug requires a little more than a cup of yogurt a day, Day 2 I started taking Florastor, plus eating plain yogurt a lot, I hope I don't get the diarrhea that others have after stopping it. If you must take this,drink water and take probotics"

Penny1290 July 31, 2015

Cleocin (clindamycin): "I am currently on day 2 of this medication and I've had some troubling side effects. Very tired, nasty taste in my mouth and bouts of dizziness along with slight tummy upset and feeling foggy at times. I wish I would have been warned before taking it that it's best to take with probiotics, I have been eating yogurt, but from what I've read about this medication, it takes a lot more than yogurt to keep things normal. Thankfully I only have to take it for 4 days, 2 tabs every 6 hours, for a tooth infection. I am hoping I don't develop any of the really awful side effects. The only reason I was prescribed was because I had am allergic reaction to Augmentin. Given the severity of the side effects you'd think they would warn patients."

CrystMar July 29, 2015

"I have been on Clindamycin HCL for 5 days now for MRSA & have 2 days left. I have had heart burn for most of my life (I was in a fire when I was 10 & was on a staggering amount of medication that screwed with my belly) but the heart burn I experienced the first 2 days on Clindamycin was the most severe I've ever had. I followed the directions, drank a lot of water, didn't lay down after taking it, etc... but I was still in so much pain & was bloated. I take Protonix to help control my heart burn, but I don't take it every day. I realized on day 3 that if I took the Protonix first thing in the morning with breakfast & waited an hour to take my first dose of Clindamycin that I didn't have the heart burn at all!!! I thought I'd pass it on."

Nikki Lea (taken for less than 1 month) July 28, 2015

"Prescribed 300 mg 3x a day for five days. Take during a normal sized meal. Side effects have been occasional diarrhea and now the worst chest pain/heartburn. Took the medicine before bed, didn't lie down until later but woke up with incredible pain in my chest that spread. Before reading these posts, the chest pain was so bad I was ready to go to the ER. Unsure how long this heartburn will last, otherwise this antibiotic did it's job and the infection is is mostly gone. Very effective. Still have a couple more days to go. "

ArizonaMMM July 28, 2015

"Been taking for about two days and it seems to be working, but the side effects are terrible I feel tired and have a headache and pains in my chest area. Make sure to drink water and don't lie down for 10 minutes after taking it."

Anonymous July 22, 2015

"Terrible heartburns for like 3 days, I've been drinking probiotics and eating yogurt, and taking anti-acid medication, nothing helps. Can't wait to finish taking these horrible tablets."

mt280880 (taken for less than 1 month) July 20, 2015

"Take it exactly as prescribed and that means with a full glass of water. I did really well with the medication so far. I already feel better and I have both ears infected, bronchitis and a sinus infection."

Denverblondy (taken for less than 1 month) June 21, 2015

"This antibiotic is brutal, but does its job. I began it 3 days ago due to pericoronitis (infection at rear of wisdom tooth). By the 3rd dose, the infection was basically gone. It worked so quickly that I questioned if my body had killed off the bacteria, or if the antibiotic was really that powerful. It's really that powerful. Sadly, the side-effects are quite unpleasant, but an indicator that they are really working. Fatigue, mild nausea, and lower abdominal issues seem to be quite common, and all three have hit me. It's unpleasant to the point that I've more than once thought of stopping the treatment, but I know that's a bad idea. It works really well...I just hope that I don't have to take it again for a very long time."

Nick11 June 2, 2015

"Given for amoxocillin non respondent strep/tonsillitis. This is my 4th day. Infection immediately started diminishing. I have had the worst heartburn and indigestion imaginable. I was not warned about the water or not laying down until I read these posts. Hopefully that helps because I am miserable and still have 6 days to go!!! :("

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 28, 2015

"Had pericoronitis several times and once and a small abscess on the gum flap which partially covers my wisdom tooth. Dose was 300mg 4x a day for a week, only took 3x a day and took longer to finish the dose. Very effective at taking care of the infection. Side effects: feeling out of it/dizzy, headache/head pressure some days, strange powdery/metallic taste in mouth, diarrhea when I came off the medicine,(lasted for months the first time, ate a lot of Activia and that greatly improved stool). I have anxiety/panic disorder and these symptoms made it really hard for me to take it. TAKE WITH A LOT OF WATER, STAY HYDRATED. HAVE SMALL MEAL BEFORE+YOGURT. DONT SKIP MEALS. DO NOT LAY DOWN FOR 30 MINS AFTER TAKING."

For Pericoronitis/Abscess May 25, 2015

"DO NOT LAY DOWN after taking this pill. Felt like my throat caught on fire. Leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Makes me bloated to the point that I can't drink even water! Horrible diarrhea! Itchy skin sore throat. Tired, nauseous and moody! It basically put you into menopause! But hey my infection is gone. Lol"

Abscess tooth May 23, 2015

"Went to the ER for a severe bacterial infection in my foot and was prescribed clindamycin, 300mg every 6hrs for 10 days...it's been rough. Definite nausea and heartburn. I feel incredibly tired and have had more bowel movements than normal. My symptoms from the infection on my foot have almost gone away, but the antibiotics have been very unpleasant. I guess it's a give and take, killing the bacterial infection ends up waging war on my insides..."

petra3600 May 13, 2015

"My daughter was prescribed 300mg x 3 times a day for Strepthroat that had returned 6 days after finishing a 10 day prescription of Amoxicillin, worst stomach pains and heartburn ever, we tried drinking the water, sitting up and then Tums and Pepto but nothing helped. Waiting for Dr to call back with something else. Terrible side effects"

Strep (taken for less than 1 month) April 27, 2015

"Last Wednesday 4/22/2015, I went to the dentist for a severe tooth ache. I wasn't sure if I had a really bad cavity or an abscessed tooth. The technician takes an X-ray of the infected tooth, and the dentist offers to pull it, I say alright cause I'm thinking it is a cavity. Novocaine won't numb it, my left lower next to last jaw tooth is throbbing. The dentist tries to pull it out with a pair of forceps. I came out of the chair in pain, then she tells me I have an abscessed tooth! I've been taking this antibiotic for 5 to 6 days, and it is just now starting to take effect. I'm taking 150 mg, 2 capsules three times daily till gone. I eat before I take it, and this medicine still makes me feel nauseated."

Snow Bunny (taken for less than 1 month) April 27, 2015

"This was the first prescription for a salivary gland infection - 150mg x3 a day. I wasn't given any information about it, which is alarming after having looked up the side effects. I have thalassemia and Irritable Bowel Syndrome, so this was definitely a bad choice for me. Had to stop taking it after 6 doses, as I nearly passed out at work. After being off of it for 4 days and taking so little of it, I'm still experiencing the side effects as if I were still taking it, even with probiotics. I would recommend taking it as a last resort, but not at all if you already have digestive issues or blood disorders."

Anon453 April 21, 2015

"I woke up two days ago with the entire right side of my face swelled up like a balloon (from back of jaw to mid chin). Normally I try to tough things out - but this was quite frankly terrifying, so I ended up going to the ER. I was prescribed clindamycin 300mg every 6 hours, and naproxen twice daily. The first night (after taking two doses of the clindamycin, 1 of the naproxen) the swelling had increased by about 6%. However, a further 6 hours would have the swelling down about 50% and the pain nearly non-existant (battled with plain Advil). This is day three on the medicine and the pain is practically gone (only sore to the touch) - as is the swelling (about down to 20%, possibly even 15%). No side effects to speak of... yet."

'Soka (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2015

"this medication was prescribed to me after contracting a severe bacterial infection after scratching my eyeball. I was prescribed an eye drop by the first gp, but after my eye worsened I went to the hospital where the doctor prescribed me clindamycin, I found that it helped with the infection almost immediately. Although in saying that im on my 3rd day in and the side effects are terrible. I have a constant head ache, my throat is sore, I feel feverish, get chills and just generally feel weak and sore. I haven't yet tried a probiotic but i'm going to start tomorrow. Drink it with plenty of water! I haven't had any heartburn yet and I hope not to."

dreamtime (taken for less than 1 month) March 28, 2015

"I took this medicine after I had a lower wisdom tooth removed. I read the label on the bottle and it warned me not to lay down so I never experienced any heart burn. I took 3 pills 8 hours apart as recremended. Day 7 I woke up with a rash on my abdomen, back, chest, and upper thigh. I immediately stopped taking it ( I know you should never stop taking an antibiotic & finish until gone) but there was no way I was going to risk it. About a week after stopping the medicine I've been experiencing terrible diarreah. I never took a probiotic. I would definitely suggest one if you're takimg this medicine. Waiting to see if it clears up on its own"

Courtneyking January 24, 2015

"I had a tooth infection, my face was swollen alot. After two-three days the swelling went away! It is an effective medicine but it also leaves a terrible taste in my mouth after every pill I took. I also had lack of appetite and I lost a few kilos due to it."

daxis November 30, 2014

"I just got put on this 5 days ago for a breastfeeding related infection in my left breast. I get the worst heartburn, tightening in my chest, and SEVERE burning in my throat. It also gives me terrible indigestion when I try to eat anything. The pain lasts for hours. No one told me about the drinking full glass of water and not laying down after. I feel a little better now, after reading these testimonials. And on the plus side it is working great on getting rid of the infection."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 28, 2014

"I didn't want to take an antibiotic at all after my tooth was pulled, couple days later I realized that I need to. I started taking it. Gum looks better. I am on the 4 day of. I don't have any side effects listed on this site. But mine are different. I am a woman and I would suggest a lot of yogurt. I have some mucus developed anytime I go to the bathroom and in my nose as well. It's yellow color and not green. Feels like cold. But when I wake up in the morning it feels better when I am not taking it. Plenty water and yogurt for women. MAKE SURE YOU TAKE IT WITH FOOD. AND YOGURT. DON'T FORGET TO TAKE PROBIOTIC AFTER."

Diana fleur November 25, 2014

"My dentist prescribed me this after having a tooth pulled. After the first day on this medication I woke up around 2am with diarrhea. I've been on it for a week now and still have diarrhea numerous times throughout the day. I've lost 4 pounds because of it. Also it's left a small rash around my pubic area that hurts and itches like crazy making it painful to use the bathroom and wipe. "

Badddd November 25, 2014