User Reviews for Clindamycin

Also known as: Cleocin, Cleocin HCl, Cleocin Pediatric, Cleocin Phosphate, Cleocin Phosphate ADD-Vantage

Learn more about Clindamycin.

Clindamycin Rating Summary

6.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 873 medications used in the treatment of Bacterial Infection.

Reviews for Clindamycin to treat Bacterial Infection

"I've been taking clindamycin 300 mg 3 times a day for 6 days now it was prescribed to me because I had a tooth pulled and ended up getting infected.after taking it for 2 days the swelling in my face went down and finally on day six I have no pain I have however experience some cramping in my stomach very little nothing that interrupts my daily routine and have had some nausea but doesn't last long and nothing I can't handle.other than this I've been good with it BUT.....this is only day 6 so I'll see how I feel once I've finished all the antibiotics.."

Bjp123 (taken for less than 1 month) May 26, 2016

"I knew the side-effects of this medication and the potential for stomach issues, but I was diagnosed with cellulitis in one of my eyes and did not want to end up with meningitis. The first few days were rough with a lot of heartburn and diarrhea, but as so many other people have mentioned, this can be managed by taking it after or with a meal, eating foods that are not acidic and drinking a lot of water. The good news is that only after 4 hours and the first dose, the swelling started to disappear. It sucks to take it, but it works."

chershow (taken for less than 1 month) May 19, 2016

"I ended up with C-DIFF after two weeks on Clindamycin prescribed by dentist for an "infection" that didn't even hurt! Then an additional 10 days on penicillin following oral surgery of two molars. Have NEVER been that sick in my life. Ended up in the hospital. Thought I would die and could have! Talk to any gastroenterologist and they'll tell you dentists should NOT be prescribing clindamycin any more. There are far safer alternatives. I was concerned about too long a stretch of antibiotics, as a normally healthy person, but they BOTH insisted I take it! Don't EVER take clindamycin! The medication to correct it cost $700 plus hospital costs."

Tater123 May 13, 2016

"I'm extremely sensitive to all types of antibiotics -- penicillin, amoxicillin, sulfur drugs, cephalosporins, Zithromax. I can't even take most OTC drugs. Unfortunately, I came down with strep throat, and had to see a doctor. Thankfully, I have an amazing doctor who found me something that worked. Here are two tips that you HAVE to follow when taking this medication even if you are NOT generally sensitive to antibiotics. 1) Take it right after you eat a meal if it says with food. Every. Single. Time. No exceptions. 2) Drink AT LEAST 16 oz of water with it. My doctor put me on the lowest dose, 150 mg, three times a day for ten days. It worked beautifully. No headaches, puking, joint pain, dizziness, or rash."

KDMay (taken for less than 1 month) May 2, 2016

"The heart burn is as bad like When I was pregnante seven years ago it kept me up last night and still has today"

Mrs Hislop (taken for less than 1 month) April 28, 2016

Cleocin HCl (clindamycin): "This is my 2nd time using Cleocin HCl, this time for a dental abscess (300mg every 6 hrs). Today is day 3 of a 7-day course, set by the ER Dr. The swelling of my gumline, lip, and cheek has all but disappeared (just a tiny bump on the gumline left). The pain too is almost nonexistent, unless of course I bite down hard on the tooth that needs extraction. Side effects are slight nausea and heartburn if taken without 8oz of water or lying down soon after taking a dose."

Java~Grandma (taken for less than 1 month) April 18, 2016

"I am taking clindamycin for a tooth abscess. I take 300 mg every six hours for 15 days. When I first started the antibiotic, my left sinus and eye area were very swollen. Two doses of the clindamycin took away all the swelling and helped with the pain. I am on day 7 of taking it. I am pleased with it because it definitely seems to be getting rid of the infection. I got a few manageable side effects - tiredness, thirst, and a metallic chemical taste in my mouth. Just a little diarrhea too, but many antibiotics do that. Drinking a lot of water and taking a daily probiotic really helps lessen these side effects. Always take the medicine with a full glass of water and food, even if it is just a piece of bread."

Michiganmom90 April 15, 2016

"Side effects were severe vomiting, severe watery diarrhea, fever, severe pain taking a bowel movement. I had to be hospitalized and treated with morphine and other anti bionics also severe urinary infection from the very beginning. I have never had these systems from other antibiotics. I had a tooth abscess and they tried to pull my teeth went to a different dentist said I didn't have a cavity this stuff should be taken off the market. at 65 years of age I have never been this sick. I vomited so bad that I became dehydrated no matter how much water it drank it did not help. I had diarrhea so bad that I couldn't stop going my stomach hurt so bad I was crying. I was given no literature from the dentist or the pharmacy. they had the nerve to send me a bill"

phil pots April 15, 2016

"I started Clindamycin on March 25 for sinus infection - 150 mg, 3x a day for 21 days. This is the first time I have taken this medication. This past Friday, I thought I was having a heart attack. I knew it was this medicine giving me awful heartburn/chest pain because I could 'taste' the medicine. The heartburn and awful taste are almost unbearable. I will try drinking more water and do probiotics/yogurt. I am thankful that, so far, I have not had any upset stomach or diarrhea. Thanks for the tips."

Tiddly (taken for less than 1 month) April 8, 2016

"I have experienced severe diarrhea. I have also experienced headaches. I hated this antibiotic"

Danielle Stromsness (taken for less than 1 month) March 31, 2016

"given Clindamycin after infected tooth pulled. on day 5 of 7 ,300 mg every 8 hours. I have IBS and diverticulosis anyway, but do seem to be having more diarrhea. last night I thought I was going to die, not really , but I almost wished I would. First of all my whole digestive track felt very irritated.. my jaw, ear , throat and whole right side of my face was hurting worse than it did before. managed to sleep for awhile but awoke with that side of my face feeling like it was on fire. No fever though. I put an ice pack on it .I felt fine this morning. To me it seemed like all the infection came to a head and must have drained or something . IF ANYONE HAS BAD DIARRHEA DON'T FOOL AROUND SEE DR ASAP it could be C DIF and can be fatal !"

B IN SC (taken for less than 1 month) March 23, 2016

"I have been on this medication since last night I had to be rushed to the ER due to a painful cyst near my breast, I found out after being examined that I have tonsillitis and was prescribed this medication to clear the infection. I was also told it would help with my cyst located near my breast which it did, but I'd advise you if you take this medication drink lots of water and do not lay down 10 minutes after taking your dosage. My throat feels drastically better and my cyst was able to open on it's own after a few hot compresses."

Sara G. (taken for less than 1 month) March 22, 2016

"I was given clindomycin following an emergency tooth removal because I had some infection. I went back a week later and everything healed up just fine, no sign of infection. Only problem I had was a bit of diarhhea, but nothing severe. All in all a good medication."

suzieqq March 13, 2016

"I have an infection in a broken tooth doctor prescribed me this 3 times a day about 30 min after taking 1 I am experiencing the worst pain I have ever felt in my life I'm assuming it's cause it's helping the infection but not even pain killers help the pain I have taken about 8-10 vico din and still it's the worst feeling I have ever felt I won of rather got it pulled without any numing shots this is hell it literally feels like there is a knife stuck in my jaw"

knife in my jaw (taken for less than 1 month) March 4, 2016

"4th time on clindmycin. Twice for tooth infections. Second time now in a month for strep throat. 3 pills at a time 4x a day for 10 days=120 pills. I find it works but must be taken with lots of water and after you eat! And don't lie down for 10-15 minutes after taking it or you'll get horrible heart burn that goes from your chest up into your throat"

Sjmcgee March 1, 2016

"Dry socket gum abscess, took about 8 hours and two pills in the swelling went down....fast. Good medicine for dry socket abscess, does take lots of water to work, however does work well for this particular application, in my experience anyways."

AJD-1 (taken for less than 1 month) February 22, 2016

"Horrible horrible horrible. I experienced so many side effects. Ruined my life and caused so many other issues within my body. Messed up my gut and its been months and I'm still trying to recover after taking this medicine. I refuse to ever take it again"

Fayfay1 (taken for less than 1 month) February 17, 2016

"I have quinsy which is also known as a Peritonsilar abscess. I was put on this medication 300mg x 4 daily. I am having a not too bad experience with this. I already suffer from dry skin in the winter and it made it a bit worse. I have had to moisturize like crazy. One day I took before bed on an empty stomach and I had massive heartburn and I never get heart burn. I didn't even know what the pain was until I described it to my wife. It took me 10 tums and about 30 min for it to get to a point where I could sleep. Since then I have been fine if I take it with food and lots of water and I don't go line down right after taking either. The loose stool is to be expected as with most antibiotics but it wasn't as bad as the last antibiotics I had."

Quinsy (taken for less than 1 month) February 16, 2016

"I took this medicine for about 3 days - 4 times a day. I notice that I have severe chest pains and I'm only 19. So I let it go on and it got way worse!!! I started to have very bad diarrhea. I thought nothing of it until I began seeing blood in my stools. I went to the hospital as everything progressed and they told me to stop taking the medication and prescribed me a medication that can reverse these symptoms. I advise everyone who reads this to not take this medication. And really if they can report all of these issues why has this medication stopped being produced, it makes no sense to produce a medication that is virtually going to kill you?"

Tyler.Croulet February 16, 2016

"Worst medicine I've ever taken. I got put on this for a tooth infection. 30 minutes after taking it my jaw felt like someone was stabbing me. Dentist thought it was the tooth so upped the dose to 2 pills 3 times a day. Again after 30 minutes I had the worst pain I've ever felt. I took a dose this morning at 8 and again the pain was unbearable. Stopped taking it and 15 hours later I'm still in unbearable pain. I have a rash, chills, itchy and fever but the pain in my jaw is unreal. I threw the rest of the pills down the toilet and I'm praying this crap leaves my system soon. In the past 4 days I've had a total of 7 hours of sleep due to the jaw pain. Right now I should be asleep for work tomorrow and all I can do is endure the pain."

TylerV76 (taken for less than 1 month) February 1, 2016

"I had a wisdom tooth removed and developed an infection in my jaw. I was prescribed 1200 mg of Clindamycin a day. The pharmacist warned me that I should take with plenty of water, which I did. I also took it with food. The first time, I had to take 56 pills. Second time, 40. I just started another 56 pill stint of Clindamycin. I have had absolutely NO problems because it was stressed to be taken with PLENTY of water. Now, as far as the infection goes, I don't seem to be recovering from it even after having my jaw reopened and the bone scraped. I am very scared of what else this infection could do to me more so than the Clindamycin. Please take it as advised by the pharmacist."

Slurry (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 31, 2016

"Took this for gum abscess, tried kefexin and flagyl 10 days before this one and those didn't help much, abscess came back within 2 days. After those my dentist gave me some clindamycin 5 days, it helped perfectly, abscess has not returned and now im waiting my wisdom tooth to be removed in 1,5 weeks. It has side effects indeed,it gave me bit loose stools, but... i take that over gum abscess anytime. Thank you for making this antibiotic."

Jobuu (taken for less than 1 month) January 28, 2016

"it's too early to tell if it's working it's just the difficult side effects. I've been dealing with brutal acid reflux and pain after swallowing (as soon as food hits the top of my stomach there is severe cramping and pain.) However, these are tips that have personally helped me quite a bit. I am not a professional in anyway: 1. Drink with a TON of water 2. Never EVER take on an empty stomach 3. Eat with a large NON-acidic meal; Good: bread, rice, potatoes, bananas, milk, plain chicken Bad: Citrus fruit, tomatoes, oils, anything fried, anything carbonated, anything with lots of spices. 4. Do not lay down right after taking 5. Take a probiotic but take at least a few hours before or after taking this"

Jane Doe Smith January 27, 2016

"This medication should not be allowed to be distributed! I feel terrible! I am in so much discomfort and pain! I have a fever, vomiting, unbelievable heartburn, chest pain that feels like a heart attack. I've only taken two pills!"

Shan H (taken for less than 1 month) January 24, 2016

"I have taken this medication about four times in my life. First two times because I was pregnant with a tooth abcess. Other two same story. First time it cleared the infection with little side effects as I already have IBS. Third time was terrible and I stopped taking it. This time I found it again and am on day 2. I'm nauseous, have horrid cramping and diarrhea, severe lightheadedness, migraines, chills, slight fever and the pain is still immense. Not worth the side effects."

lakilucid (taken for less than 1 month) January 24, 2016