User Reviews for Clarithromycin

Also known as: Biaxin, Biaxin XL

Learn more about Clarithromycin.

Clarithromycin Review Summary

5.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 371 medications used in the treatment of Sinusitis.

Reviews for Clarithromycin to treat Sinusitis

"Very effective medication but the taste in the mouth is absolutely brutal and I find once the infection is gone and you still need to continue, your stomach starts getting upset.. The only thing that helped me not throw up from the taste is cinnamon gum! Hope it helps :)"

Anonymous May 7, 2015

"The first 3 days of taking this I was having hot flashes and felt nauseous from the taste of the pills. So I ate a lot of throat lozenges to try and get rid of the taste. I would wake up in the middle of the night because I could taste it still. I have one more day left to take the medicine. Sinus is gone which is fantastic. Doctor told me to take probiotics everyday or I could get a yeast infection. I took probiotics everyday and towards the end of taking these pills I had a little painful urinating and now I think I have a yeast infection."

Apollo123 (taken for less than 1 month) April 20, 2015

Biaxin (clarithromycin): "have used Biaxin (actually now always the generic version) for many years. Works great for me, always makes me feel much better within 12-18 hours of taking the first pill. Never had ANY side effects, except metallic taste - which has never bothered me (never been very strong). Great drug, wonderful for my chronic sinusitis. (Hint: I eat lots of miso when taking antibiotics; does wonders for my GI when taking antibiotics. Miso soup, miso on top of rice, miso in various dishes; just make sure you get the longest fermented one you can find - I buy 2-yr miso.)"

Jb-in-VA (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 25, 2015

"The day after I was completely not congested anymore. The headache was still present though. It took three days for that to go away but I was still able to go to work and school by the second day. The only downside was I experienced extreme dizziness within the first few days and it left a terrible bitter taste in my mouth all day."

steph383882822 March 25, 2015

"I noticed they made my sinus unblock pretty quick but I had to go doctor and change them to amoxycillin. With clarithromycin I had heart palpitations, sweats and horrific nightmares along with tension headache. Was horrible I thought I was gonna pass out. "

chezzagaga March 19, 2015

"2nd time I've taken (I had leftovers because I couldn't stand the stomach pain). It works fast, but my gosh the taste in my mouth is horrible horrible. Hopefully I won't get stomach pain again!"

Ronda1967 January 24, 2015

"Third day on Clarithromycin, it has worked so far clearing up my chronic sinusitis, my voice is back and my sense of smell is back the only thing bad about it is the bitter taste in my mouth and lips. I don't know what to eat to change it. I make sure that I take my 2 500 tablets right after supper, I haven't had trouble with my stomach."

DrSaraE (taken for less than 1 month) December 12, 2014

"I too woke up in the middle of my sleep because of the bad taste in my mouth. I thought I needed to eat but whatever I eat, it doesn't go. So I googled about it and found this site. I ate a salty meal, candies, chocolate, carrot and nothing works. I've only had two tablets so far."

yva October 5, 2014

"I have had sinus infection since February of this year. Been on antibiotics twice and nasal spray, none of which had helped, after the 2nd coarse of antibiotics I developed a raging flu, which kept me in bed. When it was not clearing, 10days later, returned to my doc and was given Claithromycin 7 day coarse. Have been told about the metallic taste, which I can cope with as long as it clears up this dreadful infection."

Vary Ferguson,, April 29, 2014

"Been taking Biaxin for my 4th day. I got a really bad cold which left me with a sinus infection. I'm allergic to many things, and I always have issues with my sinus. This has worked great for clearing it up and relieving the pressure, but like everyone else on here, I too, am experiencing the awful taste it leaves in my mouth. It also has wrecked havoc on my stomach. My mother is being treated for the same cold, and she was up all night, the first day on them, vomited a lot. You have to suffer something in order to get the best results. This works, and I'll deal with whatever side effects it dishes out, if it means I can breathe again!"

Melbah toasty April 28, 2014

"Took this medication four times for sinusitis and it works the best for me, I feel so much better within 24hrs, it's fast acting, the only side effect I experienced was a bad but tolerable metallic taste in my mouth."

Catsch February 24, 2014

"I was prescribed clarithromycin for a sinus infection. I have been battling this for four weeks. And two prescriptions before this. I am on day three and feel only a little better. I have read it takes 4-5 days to feel better especially if you have had it awhile. The sinuses are hard to penetrate. I have had no stomach problems, I recommend probiotics. Nasty taste in my mouth...Gatorade helps a bit. I have also had fatigue and headache but I am unsure if this is due to the antibiotics or that my body has had it with medication. Hope this helps someone."

JanMam February 7, 2014

"After taking this pill in one day I have all the sudden developed a very upset stomach and my heart rate went from 60 to 106 bpm. And I'm having severe anxiety but I feel very weak. "

Shelbs. (taken for less than 1 month) December 30, 2013

"I have been on Biaxin for about 7 days for sinus infection and bronchitis. I started to feel better after a couple of days, but don't feel as good. Still coughing and stuffed up on one side. Side effects haven't been too bad - metallic taste in mouth for some time after I take it, but goes away. Also makes me a little nauseous if I don't take with food. Wondering if I need to go back to the Dr. though."

Anonymous November 24, 2013

"Wrote on here yesterday. Just updating. Doc advised me to stop taking clarithromycin after I took only one 500mg last night. My experience- awful taste in mouth, vomiting, lower back pain, aching all over, severe stomach pain, couldnt sleep, dizziness, severe anxiety, dull heavy headache (similar to a hang over) and very dry mouth. All this after only ONE tablet. This medication is EVIL! Take with extreme caution people. Good luck x"

Bexta (taken for less than 1 month) October 22, 2013

Biaxin (clarithromycin): "I too have had multiple sinus infections and surgery twice. In addition I am immunosuppressed because of a medication for rheumatoid arthritis. Biaxin has always worked for me. I really have no side effects other than the metallic taste which is tolerable. I make sure I take it after food otherwise it is really hard on the stomach. I take Biaxin XL 500mg, 2 tablets once a day for 14 days."

25skidoo August 14, 2013

"I suffer from chronic sinus infections and have been treated with clarithromycin. While it got rid of the more severe issues (facial pain, horribly stuffed nose) I still didn't feel great after. Both times I ended up having to go to an ENT afterwards and start a stronger steroid and antibiotic. To top it off when I was on clarithromycin I had that terrible metallic taste in my mouth that would actually wake me up in the middle of the night."

another anon April 30, 2013

"Left the Nastiest taste ever in my mouth! Almost like soap. It's so bad that it woke me up. So far the only relief is to occasionally rinse my mouth out with water."

Anonymous April 23, 2013

Biaxin (clarithromycin): "I was on this for the first time last fall when I had H. Pylori. It knocked it out but threw me into my first vaginal yeast infection. The metallic taste in the mouth is horrible and my husband could even taste it when he kissed me. Currently I am on it for sinusitis which I have seasonal."

Joretta (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 4, 2013

"After a terrible flu, I had upper respiratory infection and sinusitis. Was first on Z-pack, with no improvements, then on Levaquin which gave me horrible side effects, nausea, allergic reaction in the face, and extreme fatigue. I was feeling worse than without the medicines, so got switched to Biaxin and right on day one I experienced lots of improvements. I am on day two and feeling better, not 100% yet, but way better. I do have the metallic taste and little bit of upset stomach, but probiotic is helping tremendously to control it. I am going to try the dark chocolate tomorrow! So far I am happy with the treatment."

ABeleca March 30, 2013

"I'm on day 3 of Biaxin XL and I haven't experienced even one side effect, hoping it stays this way. Everyone is different and you can't judge it by others, I was scared to death after reading things on here. I started feeling better the next day also. So far so good."

JMAR1 March 7, 2013

Biaxin (clarithromycin): "I have had MANY sinus infections over the years, and Biaxin is the only thing that really gets rid of them. Yes, you have a horrible (metallic) taste in your mouth, are a bit loopy, and tummy isn't the best, but those side effects are nothing compared to serious sinus pain. I'd rather be thirsty than feel like my head is in a vice all day!"

Anonymous5 February 25, 2013

"I have been on it for 10 days and don't feel any better. It gives me a metallic taste and heartburn. It also caused me to have vivid dreams and problems sleeping."

Julesfox January 27, 2013

"I'm on 500mg for 7 days, I'm on day six and for the past two days have been feeling a bit nauseous. It took almost three days to kick in to full effect. Symptoms started to improve on day two. I find the lingering taste bitter instead of metallic. I do have trouble sleeping, but it has cleared up the infection quite quickly. Make sure you eat adequate amount of food with it. I've had no toilet issues."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 16, 2013

"Multiple problems which a 7 day course of Erthymacin did not solve a month earlier and my condition worsened. Lost my voice - throat felt like it was on fire and a nagging cough, have a dental abscess and the sinusitis was the worst problem - as it stopped me from being able to sleep through the night; constantly having to get up to clear my throat from the sinus drainage. The sinus drainage upset my tummy which had me vomiting at work. I switched doctors and my new doctor said I was under-treated. He gave me two shots in the butt (one was a steroid and the other one I think was for my allergies). He prescribed the clarithromyacin 14days- after a few days I really noticed that my sinuses were much improved. Sore throat gone/sleeping!."

Xstat (taken for less than 1 month) December 28, 2012