User Reviews for Clarithromycin

Also known as: Biaxin, Biaxin XL

Learn more about Clarithromycin.

Clarithromycin Rating Summary

5.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 339 medications used in the treatment of Sinusitis.

Reviews for Clarithromycin to treat Sinusitis

"I was prescribed these for an ongoing sinus problem, I'm not convinced it is an infection as my mucus is clear and not bright yellow as it has been in the past when I've had infected sinuses. I've experienced horrible side effect, horrible taste in my mouth, nausea, fatigue, muscle ache and just generally feeling ill. I would stop taking it but if it is an infection it will probably make it worse so just going to buck up and finish the course. I would not recommend these antibiotics to anyone."

27 year old female 1234 January 25, 2016

"I was actually given this for a bad Ear infection which I think now has gone. But I feel anxiety, can not sleep, my eyes are blurry, It made the noise in my ears worse and my mussels felt strange jelly like. As much as it is good to feel no pain the feeling that you could put a knife through you and you would not feel it makes you feel crazy. My stomach is in pain from time to time and running to the loo. My throat feel like I need to constantly clear it gritty in the back. My mouth is so dry and a metal taste. Thank Goodness I have one more day of this drug that is driving me crazy."

Bird Man (taken for less than 1 month) December 17, 2015

"I've suffered from chronic sinusitis and post nasal drip for a while now. Biaxin is the only drug which worked for me, my PND started decreasing after one day and my nasal passages were completely clear by day 4. As for side effects it increased my appetite and sent me to the bathroom more often than usual. As for the nausea and metallic taste in mouth that most people reported, that only occurred on my last day of treatment thankfully. It's a small price to pay for the relief I got however."

Amz_P December 12, 2015

"I was taking clarithromcyin for sinusitis and it worked but I got severe back pain with the medication and a very nasty taste in my mouth. My stomach hurt so then I started taking it with food and the pain never came back"

Jen10496 December 11, 2015

"This medicine is awful, first night, awful taste in mouth, couldn't get to sleep and woke up with a racing heart. Day 4 woke up at 1 in the morning, extreme anxiety, pounding heart, sweats, shaking, couldn't think straight. GP has told me to stop taking it and it should be out of my system in 27 hours."

Ordy December 1, 2015

"I can't tolerate the taste. I quit. Would rather have the cough."

Grassy (taken for less than 1 month) November 27, 2015

"Started feeling better within 48 hours of taking this medication. Took a probiotic with the medication to minimize effect on digestive system."

Anonymous November 19, 2015

"7 days out of 10. Some sinus improvement but the vile taste in my mouth is awful. Desperately trying to make sure I continue taking the tablets but not sure I can cope with the erratic sleep and waking up in the night with my mouth feeling like a sewer. Paranoid that my breath must smell as bad as the taste so over doing the mouth wash!"

NJH12 November 15, 2015

"I cannot sleep with this drug and am very agitated. Like someone injected me w/adrenaline 24/7 Worst antibiotic I have EVER taken. On day 6 so 3 more days but it sucks. NEVER AGAIN"

No sleep at all November 14, 2015

"I started to take this antibiotic two days ago, I have a 7day course. I find its working but I have no appetite, when I do eat I feel so nauseous. I keep getting awful wind pains from the minute I take the tablet and they last all day.. Has anybody else experienced this? The wind in my stomach is so sore"

coleleo November 12, 2015

"Salt water mouthwash swished around your mouth helps take the metallic manure taste away"

lynnstrat October 27, 2015

"I have been on this med for 5 days for a sinus infection. I am so close to calling it quits. I have been having bad anxiety, heart palpitations, clammy sweats, and feel shaky and weak on it. It makes food taste like crap and leaves a nasty battery acid taste in your mouth. I start to feel better in the couple hours coming up to my next dose (every 12 hours) and then BAM within an hour after taking the dose it all hits. It is definitley helping my sinus infection but this drug is hell. A pharmacist told me that this is in the top two antibiotics that are reported to have the worse side effects. Boooo. I also took a Zopiclone so I could sleep and woke up with a nasty reaction! Felt so high and dizzy, drugged out of my mind...terrifying."

blj2940 (taken for less than 1 month) October 11, 2015

"Was prescribed this for URI/Sinus infection. Took a total of 2.5 days then experienced extreme anxiety but not the 'heart pounding out of your chest, can't breathe, think I'm going to die' kind of anxiety, but the I'M LOSING MY MIND, CAN'T TELL REALITY FROM REALITY, WANT TO CURL UP IN CORNER & DIE kind of anxiety. Went to ER, given shot to calm me down. TERRIBLE medicine, side effect, you couldn't pay me to take again."

Shellberg6 October 10, 2015

"Had a bad cold that got better but got worse. Muscle and joint pain, lethargy, fatigue, postnasal drip. I have sinusitis history but nothing this worse. My doc gave me Clarithromycin 500mg. Just took my first dose, laid down, and poof. All muscle pains gone. I can actually get up and catch up on office work etc. Agree on the weird taste in the mouth, but not too bothersome."

lildre (taken for less than 1 month) September 22, 2015

"Good med but after taste is bad (but tolerable)."

irishlasy September 21, 2015

"I've been on this medication for 8 days of the 14 day%u2019s supply from the Dr. I have some relief from the pain and pressure but the infection is still very much there. I%u2019m getting nervous that I may need a different medication. I have experienced the bad taste in my mouth and noticed a few hours after I take it and goes away. When I first started the medication I was having the weird hunger pains but as the times has gone by those have subsided. I haven%u2019t had diarrhea and that%u2019s a plus for sure. I have sinus issues and have for years. Most other medications seem to clear it up in a few days. I always finish medication as prescribed."

Cecil C September 18, 2015

"First off, this tablet makes me feel SO nauseous, however, I've had trouble hearing anything recently and it has picked up since I was prescribed this drug. Though it always leaves an awful, hard to describe metallic tangy taste on the sides of my tongue, it is SO disgusting! I went through a whole packet of mints in 1 hour trying to get rid of it. I always feel sick taking this but it works. Embarrasing to say, I have to poop twice a day now, but they're always small bits! It's uncomfortable, but it gets the job done."

Jordanlouisekim September 11, 2015

"I would like to know what this drug is made from. The horrible metallic taste is making me gag. I have tried everything you can think of to get rid of it. It's waking me up at night from the taste. I don't know if the H.pylori symptoms or this is worse. I have 5 days to go on this and am dreading every tablet I have to swallow. I feel it's poison."

olij (taken for less than 1 month) September 4, 2015

"On third day of treatment for severe sinus infection that Amoxy wouldn't clear. Drainage has slowed somewhat but nose really dry and painful. Taking flonase and mucinex along with singulair. Side effects: anxiety, irritability, strange depressive thoughts and metal taste in mouth, burning urination and slight tummy ache."

Dallasdave40 August 9, 2015

"I am on my second round of antibiotics and this time my dr prescribed clarithromycin. I am finally able to breath and inhale through my nostrils for the first time in months. I firstly after taking the pills noticed the awful indescribable taste in my mouth. BUT breathing is much better than taste when it comes to taking this medicine. It actually works- I am a coffee drinker and I found out that coffee takes the taste away and ginger gum works great for any nausea. Iam shocked of the results and my bowels are still normal. Late at night I am drinking grape or fruit juices to help with dry mouth or taste. Daily regiment of yogurt helps from avoiding any UTI or yeast infections! Happy recovering- hope this helps!"

feeling better yay! (taken for less than 1 month) July 16, 2015

"Clarithromycin seems to be quite effective with sinusitis. I hate the side effects though. This antibiotic produces a bitter/metallic taste in my tongue. I haven't experienced diarrhea, but I now poop once in the morning and once in the evening. I used to poop once a day before taking this antibiotic."

simoncpu (taken for less than 1 month) July 2, 2015

"Been On Clarithromycin for 5 Days and have to do a 7 day cycle - Only 4 tablets left. I would advice anyone not to google the side effects you are getting from this job because some websites say pregnancy! I have the most vile taste in my mouth, which gets worse as I cough. I wake up with my tongue stuck down to the bottom of my mouth and I feel extreme hunger pains/stomach pains. Saying that I would say this drug work very well. I have vivid dreams and can't sleep at all at night."

misshannahjane1 June 20, 2015

Biaxin (clarithromycin): "the only medication cleared my sinus infection. i have been on it for a month and my dr wants me to continue for another 4 weeks. I have not experienced any of side effects so far."

noname1000 June 9, 2015

"Very effective medication but the taste in the mouth is absolutely brutal and I find once the infection is gone and you still need to continue, your stomach starts getting upset.. The only thing that helped me not throw up from the taste is cinnamon gum! Hope it helps :)"

Anonymous May 7, 2015

"The first 3 days of taking this I was having hot flashes and felt nauseous from the taste of the pills. So I ate a lot of throat lozenges to try and get rid of the taste. I would wake up in the middle of the night because I could taste it still. I have one more day left to take the medicine. Sinus is gone which is fantastic. Doctor told me to take probiotics everyday or I could get a yeast infection. I took probiotics everyday and towards the end of taking these pills I had a little painful urinating and now I think I have a yeast infection."

Apollo123 (taken for less than 1 month) April 20, 2015