User Reviews for Clarithromycin

Also known as: Biaxin, Biaxin XL

Learn more about Clarithromycin.

Clarithromycin review summary

5.5/10 Average Rating

Compare all 364 medications used in the treatment of Sinusitis.

Reviews for Clarithromycin to treat Sinusitis

Review by Catsch: User Rating:

clarithromycin: Took this medication four times for sinusitis and it works the best for me, I feel so much better within 24hrs, it's fast acting, the only side effect I experienced was a bad but tolerable metallic taste in my mouth.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 24, 2014 8:53 PM
Review by JanMam: User Rating:

clarithromycin: I was prescribed clarithromycin for a sinus infection. I have been battling this for four weeks. And two prescriptions before this. I am on day three and feel only a little better. I have read it takes 4-5 days to feel better especially if you have had it awhile. The sinuses are hard to penetrate. I have had no stomach problems, I recommend probiotics. Nasty taste in my mouth...Gatorade helps a bit. I have also had fatigue and headache but I am unsure if this is due to the antibiotics or that my body has had it with medication. Hope this helps someone.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 7, 2014 10:49 AM
Review by Shelbs. (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

clarithromycin: After taking this pill in one day I have all the sudden developed a very upset stomach and my heart rate went from 60 to 106 bpm. And I'm having severe anxiety but I feel very weak.

December 30, 2013 11:02 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

clarithromycin: I have been on Biaxin for about 7 days for sinus infection and bronchitis. I started to feel better after a couple of days, but don't feel as good. Still coughing and stuffed up on one side. Side effects haven't been too bad - metallic taste in mouth for some time after I take it, but goes away. Also makes me a little nauseous if I don't take with food. Wondering if I need to go back to the Dr. though.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 24, 2013 1:37 PM
Review by Bexta (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

clarithromycin: Wrote on here yesterday. Just updating. Doc advised me to stop taking clarithromycin after I took only one 500mg last night. My experience- awful taste in mouth, vomiting, lower back pain, aching all over, severe stomach pain, couldnt sleep, dizziness, severe anxiety, dull heavy headache (similar to a hang over) and very dry mouth. All this after only ONE tablet. This medication is EVIL! Take with extreme caution people. Good luck x

October 22, 2013 7:49 AM
Review by 25skidoo: User Rating:

Biaxin (clarithromycin): I too have had multiple sinus infections and surgery twice. In addition I am immunosuppressed because of a medication for rheumatoid arthritis. Biaxin has always worked for me. I really have no side effects other than the metallic taste which is tolerable. I make sure I take it after food otherwise it is really hard on the stomach. I take Biaxin XL 500mg, 2 tablets once a day for 14 days.

August 14, 2013 7:07 AM
Review by another anon: User Rating:

clarithromycin: I suffer from chronic sinus infections and have been treated with clarithromycin. While it got rid of the more severe issues (facial pain, horribly stuffed nose) I still didn't feel great after. Both times I ended up having to go to an ENT afterwards and start a stronger steroid and antibiotic. To top it off when I was on clarithromycin I had that terrible metallic taste in my mouth that would actually wake me up in the middle of the night.

April 30, 2013 3:01 AM

clarithromycin: Left the Nastiest taste ever in my mouth! Almost like soap. It's so bad that it woke me up. So far the only relief is to occasionally rinse my mouth out with water.

April 23, 2013 12:54 PM
Review by Joretta (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Biaxin (clarithromycin): I was on this for the first time last fall when I had H. Pylori. It knocked it out but threw me into my first vaginal yeast infection. The metallic taste in the mouth is horrible and my husband could even taste it when he kissed me. Currently I am on it for sinusitis which I have seasonal.

April 4, 2013 2:55 AM
Review by ABeleca: User Rating:

clarithromycin: After a terrible flu, I had upper respiratory infection and sinusitis. Was first on Z-pack, with no improvements, then on Levaquin which gave me horrible side effects, nausea, allergic reaction in the face, and extreme fatigue. I was feeling worse than without the medicines, so got switched to Biaxin and right on day one I experienced lots of improvements. I am on day two and feeling better, not 100% yet, but way better. I do have the metallic taste and little bit of upset stomach, but probiotic is helping tremendously to control it. I am going to try the dark chocolate tomorrow! So far I am happy with the treatment.

March 30, 2013 9:18 PM
Review by JMAR1: User Rating:

clarithromycin: I'm on day 3 of Biaxin XL and I haven't experienced even one side effect, hoping it stays this way. Everyone is different and you can't judge it by others, I was scared to death after reading things on here. I started feeling better the next day also. So far so good.

March 7, 2013 8:49 PM
Review by Anonymous5: User Rating:

Biaxin (clarithromycin): I have had MANY sinus infections over the years, and Biaxin is the only thing that really gets rid of them. Yes, you have a horrible (metallic) taste in your mouth, are a bit loopy, and tummy isn't the best, but those side effects are nothing compared to serious sinus pain. I'd rather be thirsty than feel like my head is in a vice all day!

February 25, 2013 7:50 PM
Review by Julesfox: User Rating:

clarithromycin: I have been on it for 10 days and don't feel any better. It gives me a metallic taste and heartburn. It also caused me to have vivid dreams and problems sleeping.

January 27, 2013 1:23 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

clarithromycin: I'm on 500mg for 7 days, I'm on day six and for the past two days have been feeling a bit nauseous. It took almost three days to kick in to full effect. Symptoms started to improve on day two. I find the lingering taste bitter instead of metallic. I do have trouble sleeping, but it has cleared up the infection quite quickly. Make sure you eat adequate amount of food with it. I've had no toilet issues.

January 16, 2013 4:10 PM
Review by Xstat (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

clarithromycin: Multiple problems which a 7 day course of Erthymacin did not solve a month earlier and my condition worsened. Lost my voice - throat felt like it was on fire and a nagging cough, have a dental abscess and the sinusitis was the worst problem - as it stopped me from being able to sleep through the night; constantly having to get up to clear my throat from the sinus drainage. The sinus drainage upset my tummy which had me vomiting at work. I switched doctors and my new doctor said I was under-treated. He gave me two shots in the butt (one was a steroid and the other one I think was for my allergies). He prescribed the clarithromyacin 14days- after a few days I really noticed that my sinuses were much improved. Sore throat gone/sleeping!.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 28, 2012 8:12 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Biaxin (clarithromycin): It works. It started to clear my sinus infection within 24 hours. However the stomach issues are unbearable, I could only handle 3 days of medication.

October 9, 2012 9:31 PM
Review by Willoetree (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

clarithromycin: I started with an ear infection, which became sinusitis, and now pneumonia. I was prescribed Biaxin XL 1000mg (2 pills) 1x/day for 10 days. I have this horrid metal taste in my mouth, other than that all is well. I'll take the metal taste over the hacking, sneezing and congestion! Only day 2 of the medicine, hoping it works!

June 6, 2012 5:47 AM
Review by Breeze27 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Biaxin (clarithromycin): I had a bad sinus infection and it worked great...

May 25, 2012 1:24 PM

clarithromycin: good

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 17, 2012 1:12 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

clarithromycin: Biaxin 500 mg leaves bad taste. MD suggested to eat chocolate when taking it. I have no problem with that! Must say it helped me but it could also be the steriods given with it. Hope this helps someone!

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 6, 2012 8:43 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Biaxin (clarithromycin): Second antibiotic I've been on for this sinus infection (Z-pack didn't clear it up). I am slowly getting better, but I have all the unpleasant but evidently not dangerous side effects, nausea, dizziness, dry mouth, sour taste in my mouth. I dread taking the pill, because for the next two hours I have to lay my head on my desk because of nausea and dizziness. Even at night, I go to sleep, but wake up three hours later feeling like I'm going to vomit.

November 4, 2011 10:53 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

clarithromycin: I was experiencing extreme thirst and a bad taste in my mouth after two doses on this medicine. My boyfriend suggested I drink some Gatorade and that helped tremendously with the thirst and the bad taste. I hope this tip works for some other people dealing with these side effects, as they were not fun. I drink water all day every day, but I just couldn't quench

September 17, 2011 10:47 PM
Review by MR86er: User Rating:

Biaxin (clarithromycin): I have been prescribed Biaxin twice in the past three months. The first onset of sinusitis took 6 weeks to clear. 1 week before Christmas it comes back with the worst pressure, 2 ER visits later they tell me the sinusitis is back. This round with Biaxin has left me: dehydrated, constant bathroom trips after eating anything, weight loss (12lbs in 2 weeks).

December 31, 2010 7:20 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

clarithromycin: Felt better on day 2, however I had terrible very vivid nightmares. Leaves a bad taste in your mouth. Am going to call doctor to ask to switch to a Z pack. Scared to go to sleep tonight.

December 26, 2010 3:36 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Biaxin (clarithromycin): I was prescribed this for a sinus infection twice. First time was last year. It worked and I felt better in about five days. However I had nausea and a nasty taste in my mouth every time I took it. This year it was prescribed for the same thing. I still have the sinus infection, and the side effects were worse. My doctor chose this drug because I am allergic to sulfa drugs.

March 5, 2010 11:09 PM

Learn more about Sinusitis

Get Expert Advice on Severe Allergies: Symptoms, prevention, and more Learn More