User Reviews for Clarithromycin

Also known as: Biaxin, Biaxin XL

Learn more about Clarithromycin.

Clarithromycin Review Summary

6.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 41 medications used in the treatment of Helicobacter Pylori Infection.

Reviews for Clarithromycin to treat Helicobacter Pylori Infection

"I took it with amoxicillin 500 twice a day for 7 days after 2 days I had abdominal cramp but after finishing the treatment my stomach pain gone completely but abdominal cramp , indigestion ,nausea, motion sickness, heart burn continues until now 20 days after finishing it. I admitted to hospital last week because of severe upper abdominal pain, every test and scan was normal. I will never take this medicine at all. I was dying really. Still cannot study and go university after one month."

Nagi July 25, 2015

Biaxin (clarithromycin): "I have terrible anxiety and was very afraid to take biaxin because I'd never taken it before. I worry about crazy things like having an anaphylactic reaction to medications, throat swelling shut, not being able to breathe, hives ect. I was on a triple antibiotic treatment of Biaxin, Flagyl, and Prilosec twice a day with Protonix taken alone every morning. I always ate yogurt twice a day with the medication as well as a meal so I my stomach wouldn't hurt or be upset. I never took the medication without food as instructed so I never had any stomach problems at all. The only side effect I had was an odd taste in my mouth but it wasn't overwhelming or bothersome."

TrisKal July 11, 2015

"I'm taking 500mg of clar. med along with 1,000mG amoxicillan to treat stomach bacterial infection (2x daily). I've experienced no side of amox. but clar. is making my sinuses drip with an awful med taste that creeps up into my mouth and along sides of my tongue. Strange, but hopeful :). No other side effects. In fact I feel good after taking my dose:)"

Stefany04 July 3, 2015

"I tested positive for H. Pylori bacteria causing a stomach ulcer. Day one on this stuff was brutal. I was in so much pain/ nausea that I got sent home from work and scheduled an appointment with a GI Dr. Today is much better, but I need to constantly have something easy in my stomach to not feel sick. I immediately got the metallic taste on my mouth and get a bit cotton-mouthy at night. Otherwise, no other major side effects."

HT25 (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2015

"I'm taking this medicine apart of a triple antibiotic therapy. It makes me so miserable that I feel like I'm dying. I hope it gets better but it sucks. I can't wait until I can throw the empty bottle away."

Couurrtnicole March 20, 2015

"Terrible taste in my mouth from this medication! It also dries you out! One of my chief complaints before being prescribed this med was a bad taste in my mouth. It was found to be from H Plylori. I do feel better in the stomach due to this medication but the horrible taste is way nasty!"

rocket5 (taken for less than 1 month) January 17, 2015

"I have taken clarithromycin on two separate occasions for treatment of Helicobacter Pylori both times. One time was approximately 7 years ago and then again about 3 years ago. I am about to start another round along with amoxicillin and bismuth, which is Pepto Bismol. Clarithromycin leaves a horrible metallic taste in my mouth. I am not looking forward to taking it again. The only thing that seemed to relieve this momentarily was chocolate. I kept Hershey's kisses with me all the time. I would even have to get up in the middle of the night and eat one. The taste was so bad that I couldn't even go back to sleep. A nurse told me that she had heard this worked. After eradication, try Oregano oil, grapefruit seed extract, and tumeric daily."

happyredhead (taken for less than 1 month) April 9, 2014

"My first day and I got nausea and runs and I got a little pain in my neck and shoulder."

helpp mee January 26, 2014

"Taking the PrevPak which is a mixture of clarithromycin, amoxicillin and Prevacid. When take the night time dose of the medications I experience metallic taste which lasts for awhile. In the morning I do not notice the metallic taste. I will start to try full meal and chocolate to see if the taste is not so obvious. Also going to get the big red gum cinnamon flavor and keep gum at my bedside when wake up to chew the gum. Grapefruit should not mixed with the antibiotic as it interacts with lots of antibiotics and medications."

Tisha79 January 2, 2012

"Excellent medicine for H-pylori eradication and lower respiratory tract related diseases."

doctorismail December 5, 2009

"10 day run to get rid of H-pylori. In that 10 days I seem to be one that experienced negative side effects but continued on for the eventual benefit "for me". I experienced extreme fatigue, ringing in ears, forgetfulness, migraine headaches, nasty taste/smell. Had thrush at day 7 and day 10 is here. Feel like I was hit by a truck. Have follow-up to see if H-pylori is gone, will come back to update."

cmp August 6, 2009