User Reviews for Clarithromycin

Also known as: Biaxin, Biaxin XL

Learn more about Clarithromycin.

Clarithromycin Review Summary

6.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 139 medications used in the treatment of Bronchitis.

Reviews for Clarithromycin to treat Bronchitis

"This is the most vial tasting medication I have ever taken. Seems to be working, but it is disgusting. I have a horrible taste in my mouth all day long, and I've tried brushing/scraping my tongue, eating yogurt, eating strong mints, all to no avail. Man, is is just horrible tasting."

tinamri May 20, 2015

Biaxin (clarithromycin): "I was diagnosed with acute bronchitis with dry cough, wheezing, chest pain, fever & fatigue. Within a day of taking Biaxin the pain & fever was gone. The coughing and fatigue lasted a week. The only side effect was an unpleasant aftertaste which was minor. Overall the drug worked pretty well."

Mel76 May 15, 2015

"I didn't experience or notice any of the side effects until I started having the metal taste. This started happening on day 7. After reading all the side effects I realized that I did suffer from the excess heart rate, nightmares, lethargic, wanting to sleep all the time and of course the metal taste....I could only think it's similar to keeping a large amount of dirty pennies in your mouth for several hours. I only get the taste towards the evening and all night."

6Steve8 March 26, 2015

"This seems to be dealing with the bronchitis after 2 days so I feel better with only a residual phlegmy cough. The side effects have been constipation at first, then very loose mucus laden stools. Much stomach gurgling and vicious wind. Bitter, metallic taste in my mouth, especially night mornings. Dreadful nightmares since taking this medication."

London Johnboy February 16, 2015

"A & E diagnosed with bronchitis, tonsillitis, and sinusitis, had low oxygen and high heart rate so given these tablets as they cover all 3 infections, very strong tablets. First tablet I took on practically empty stomach, big mistake, started feeling sick then started panicking which make my breathing bad, my husband was about to take me back to A&ee but I managed to calm down and have some soup. 2nd tablet I took with food and was getting heart palpitations for 30 minutes. Went to bed woke up took another tab and feeling a bit better already, temperature gone, sore throat gone, just sinus pain still and cough with phlegm. Slight stomach pain but I get stomach pain all the time so unsure if related. Funny taste some time in my mouth. Fast acting."

Monique87 December 27, 2014

"Only started taking this medicine today. It's very big and hard to swallow. After about 20 minutes of taking the first one, I was asleep. Makes me feel very drowsy and rather weak, but it doesn't hurt to breathe as much and the tightness in my chest has significantly improved. Before I took it, I had some yoghurt as someone has previously suggested here and have no metallic taste in my mouth, no runs or vomiting."

Littlelil (taken for less than 1 month) December 10, 2014

"I recently started on Biaxin. My doctor prescribed it for my bronchitis and sinus infection. The antibiotic works great, after about a day of taking it I felt a million times better. It's a really strong antibiotic though which has caused some awful side effects including bad taste in mouth, nervousness and upset stomach /nausea . If you have to take this I suggest eating before taking it and carrying around mints for the taste in mouth. Good luck!"

Anonymous November 18, 2014

"It is efficient for bronchitis and does the work better than any other anti-biotic, it is fast, but it made me sleepy, weak, dizzy, drowsy, vomitish because of the metallic taste and you get some bloating and diarrhea sometimes. You also get very weak from it that you want just to lie down, perhaps it's from the big fight between the medicine and the virus/bacteria!! I want just to mention that tea with mint helped with the bad taste, 2 tablets of Panadol/Tylenol daily for the drowsiness, and vitamin C daily to get some energy."

Leemsu (taken for less than 1 month) August 28, 2014

Biaxin (clarithromycin): "I was full of itises: bronchitis, sinusitis and pharyngitis and felt miserable. Doc prescribed Biaxin and I started to be on the mend in a couple of days after starting treatment. On day 3 of taking it I felt good enough to exercise (not super intense, but enough to at least get the blood flowing and feel like a human being again.) Biaxin has been hard on my gut. It helps to eat a lot of food before taking it. If my stomach starts hurting or cramping, I eat more food and it helps relieve it. Unexpected side effect: Biaxin gave me energy and increased aggression/agitation. It did what it was supposed to do and knocked out my infection. All in all, worth it for me."

fitzle March 28, 2014

"I have been given this medicine every year for the past 3 years when I get bronchitis. Every year, I forget about the symptoms from previous years but I am done taking this medicine. After the 3rd or 4th day, I get really bad muscle aches and the Dr's don't do anything about it. I can't sleep and will come to the point that I can barely move because of all the pain I am in. I will start remembering this from now on so I don't experience it again."

flip2 (taken for less than 1 month) February 11, 2014

"My ailment wasn't actually bronchitis, but tracheal irritation - it wasn't in my lungs. I started taking it after being exhausted from coughing. I had diarrhea after the first day, because I took the first dose too late after breakfast. Since then, I took it in the middle of breakfast and haven't had any GI symptoms since. My cough and chest showed an almost immediate improvement! What a difference! I have also been limiting my sugar intake (to prevent a yeast infection), eating yogurt every day and taking acidophilus to prevent further bowel irritation. So far so good. I have 4 days left. I noticed a bitter taste in my mouth about 2 days ago. I felt reassured after reading some of the comments here that it is a side effect."

Mrs. Right (taken for less than 1 month) January 20, 2014

"I had a horrible sore throat and pain in all my body, after using the first tablet, I noticed the difference. By night I had no sore throat and no muscle pain. It worked amazingly fast BUT the side effect I experienced was extreme bitterness in my mouth which caused me to wake up in the middle of night & wash my mouth, eat some fruit & wash again & went back to sleep but the next morning I woke up with the same taste in my mouth & it continues the same way all along. I also experienced some nausea."

Stardust 2567 January 10, 2014

"I cannot sleep. "

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 3, 2014

"severe stomach pain, this is the worst I have ever felt I will be calling the doctor in the morning, stop taking them hope I make it until morning :( this is my 2nd day on them."

i hurt bad November 3, 2013

"I have bronchitis and they prescribed Clarithromycin. I have been taking them for 4 days now (I need to take them 10 days). I feel often dizzy, have headaches, very nauseous. My mouth always taste gross, like a metallic taste, I often have to rinse my mouth with water because of the bad taste (even at night I have to get up and rinse my mouth because the taste makes me nauseous). Just wanted to share."

reviewer3434 October 11, 2013

"I'm taking this right now, I'm on day 4 out of 10 and really the only problem for me is feeling nauseous and when I'm sleeping I wake up a couple times because of the taste in my throat and mouth. I thought of sulfur but I don't even know what sulfur tastes like or smells like. Eat something salty like chips or anything you can find and have a drink of water."

chantelleb June 11, 2013

Biaxin XL (clarithromycin): "Took it as soon as I got home from the doctor, 2 pills a day for 10 days but missed 2 doses when I thought I was better. A couple of days later I was sneezing like crazy and had a bad cough. Don't miss doses! Even when you think you're cured."

?...?...?...? April 14, 2013

"Well I started taking this medicine on Friday and now it's Sunday. It left a strong horrible metal taste in my mouth and yesterday I started experiencing stomach pains that kept me awake at night. After one pill I woke up feeling SO much better I was shocked! My bad painful cough went away. But I was left with this horrible taste and stanch pain. I'm not going to take my 2nd pill today and wait to go to the doctors tomorrow to see if I need to switch to something else. Hope you all feel better!"

SidTaylor March 3, 2013

"I have taken the antibiotic for 2 days. Works great as far as taking away symptoms, but I'm having difficulty sleeping and breathing."

Taker March 1, 2013

Biaxin (clarithromycin): "Doc told me I had bronchitis, first time on Biaxin, after two days still have the bitter taste in the mouth, sleeping like crazy, increased heart rate, but overall medicine seems to be working great after two days, good alternative to amoxicillin."

KillerRevised (taken for less than 1 month) February 6, 2013

Biaxin (clarithromycin): "After 4 days Biaxin makes me feel slightly light headed and very gassy."

Tarrah (taken for less than 1 month) January 11, 2013

Biaxin (clarithromycin): "Stomach pains and bad taste. Drink plenty of water it helps the taste and stomach. I've had different reactions with Biaxin. Don't drink caffeine and take it. It will keep you awake and don't lay down in bed for 1 hour after taking. This all seems to help keep stimulation down so you can sleep."

bunny rabbit (taken for less than 1 month) November 15, 2012

Biaxin (clarithromycin): "Been on Biaxin earlier in the year for a sinus infection, worked like a charm then, and the side effects were slight. (Just the metallic taste.) Got prescribed it for bronchitis a couple of days ago and I've got the worst nausea, can't even look at or smell food."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 15, 2012

Biaxin (clarithromycin): "From reading the other reviews, when it's good it's very very good and when it's bad it's horrid. Unfortunately my experience was horrid. After two days, couldn't get more than 10 ft from the toilet. That lasted for 2 weeks. "

Anonymous April 2, 2012

Biaxin (clarithromycin): "Eat a little yogurt before talking the pill and a little after. It takes that awful metal taste away."

Anonymous February 2, 2012