User Reviews for Clarithromycin

Also known as: Biaxin, Biaxin XL

Learn more about Clarithromycin.

Clarithromycin review summary

5.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 134 medications used in the treatment of Bronchitis.

Reviews for Clarithromycin to treat Bronchitis

Review by fitzle:

Biaxin (clarithromycin): I was full of itises: bronchitis, sinusitis and pharyngitis and felt miserable. Doc prescribed Biaxin and I started to be on the mend in a couple of days after starting treatment. On day 3 of taking it I felt good enough to exercise (not super intense, but enough to at least get the blood flowing and feel like a human being again.) Biaxin has been hard on my gut. It helps to eat a lot of food before taking it. If my stomach starts hurting or cramping, I eat more food and it helps relieve it. Unexpected side effect: Biaxin gave me energy and increased aggression/agitation. It did what it was supposed to do and knocked out my infection. All in all, worth it for me.

March 28, 2014 7:19 PM

Review by flip2 (taken for less than 1 month):

I have been given this medicine every year for the past 3 years when I get bronchitis. Every year, I forget about the symptoms from previous years but I am done taking this medicine. After the 3rd or 4th day, I get really bad muscle aches and the Dr's don't do anything about it. I can't sleep and will come to the point that I can barely move because of all the pain I am in. I will start remembering this from now on so I don't experience it again.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 11, 2014 2:42 PM

Review by Mrs. Right (taken for less than 1 month):

My ailment wasn't actually bronchitis, but tracheal irritation - it wasn't in my lungs. I started taking it after being exhausted from coughing. I had diarrhea after the first day, because I took the first dose too late after breakfast. Since then, I took it in the middle of breakfast and haven't had any GI symptoms since. My cough and chest showed an almost immediate improvement! What a difference! I have also been limiting my sugar intake (to prevent a yeast infection), eating yogurt every day and taking acidophilus to prevent further bowel irritation. So far so good. I have 4 days left. I noticed a bitter taste in my mouth about 2 days ago. I felt reassured after reading some of the comments here that it is a side effect.

January 20, 2014 4:57 PM

Review by Stardust 2567:

I had a horrible sore throat and pain in all my body, after using the first tablet, I noticed the difference. By night I had no sore throat and no muscle pain. It worked amazingly fast BUT the side effect I experienced was extreme bitterness in my mouth which caused me to wake up in the middle of night & wash my mouth, eat some fruit & wash again & went back to sleep but the next morning I woke up with the same taste in my mouth & it continues the same way all along. I also experienced some nausea.

January 10, 2014 4:02 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

I cannot sleep.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 3, 2014 6:18 PM

Review by i hurt bad:

severe stomach pain, this is the worst I have ever felt I will be calling the doctor in the morning, stop taking them hope I make it until morning :( this is my 2nd day on them.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 3, 2013 12:43 AM

Review by reviewer3434:

I have bronchitis and they prescribed Clarithromycin. I have been taking them for 4 days now (I need to take them 10 days). I feel often dizzy, have headaches, very nauseous. My mouth always taste gross, like a metallic taste, I often have to rinse my mouth with water because of the bad taste (even at night I have to get up and rinse my mouth because the taste makes me nauseous). Just wanted to share.

October 11, 2013 7:19 PM

Review by chantelleb:

I'm taking this right now, I'm on day 4 out of 10 and really the only problem for me is feeling nauseous and when I'm sleeping I wake up a couple times because of the taste in my throat and mouth. I thought of sulfur but I don't even know what sulfur tastes like or smells like. Eat something salty like chips or anything you can find and have a drink of water.

June 11, 2013 4:53 PM

Review by ?...?...?...?:

Biaxin XL (clarithromycin): Took it as soon as I got home from the doctor, 2 pills a day for 10 days but missed 2 doses when I thought I was better. A couple of days later I was sneezing like crazy and had a bad cough. Don't miss doses! Even when you think you're cured.

April 14, 2013 8:39 AM

Review by SidTaylor:

Well I started taking this medicine on Friday and now it's Sunday. It left a strong horrible metal taste in my mouth and yesterday I started experiencing stomach pains that kept me awake at night. After one pill I woke up feeling SO much better I was shocked! My bad painful cough went away. But I was left with this horrible taste and stanch pain. I'm not going to take my 2nd pill today and wait to go to the doctors tomorrow to see if I need to switch to something else. Hope you all feel better!

March 3, 2013 4:59 PM

Review by Taker:

I have taken the antibiotic for 2 days. Works great as far as taking away symptoms, but I'm having difficulty sleeping and breathing.

March 1, 2013 6:32 PM

Review by KillerRevised (taken for less than 1 month):

Biaxin (clarithromycin): Doc told me I had bronchitis, first time on Biaxin, after two days still have the bitter taste in the mouth, sleeping like crazy, increased heart rate, but overall medicine seems to be working great after two days, good alternative to amoxicillin.

February 6, 2013 6:08 PM

Review by Tarrah (taken for less than 1 month):

Biaxin (clarithromycin): After 4 days Biaxin makes me feel slightly light headed and very gassy.

January 11, 2013 8:15 AM

Review by bunny rabbit (taken for less than 1 month):

Biaxin (clarithromycin): Stomach pains and bad taste. Drink plenty of water it helps the taste and stomach. I've had different reactions with Biaxin. Don't drink caffeine and take it. It will keep you awake and don't lay down in bed for 1 hour after taking. This all seems to help keep stimulation down so you can sleep.

November 15, 2012 7:02 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Biaxin (clarithromycin): Been on Biaxin earlier in the year for a sinus infection, worked like a charm then, and the side effects were slight. (Just the metallic taste.) Got prescribed it for bronchitis a couple of days ago and I've got the worst nausea, can't even look at or smell food.

September 15, 2012 11:33 AM

Biaxin (clarithromycin): From reading the other reviews, when it's good it's very very good and when it's bad it's horrid. Unfortunately my experience was horrid. After two days, couldn't get more than 10 ft from the toilet. That lasted for 2 weeks.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 2, 2012 5:29 PM

Biaxin (clarithromycin): Eat a little yogurt before talking the pill and a little after. It takes that awful metal taste away.

February 2, 2012 2:48 PM

Was prescribed Clarithromycin for probable Bronchitis or potential Pneumonia. Tomorrow is day 10 on C-Mycin. I have 1/2 day left and I have not shown an ounce of improvement. I have now had a dry unproductive cough for 1 month. I have to say I only noticed the metal taste after the very first tablet and none since. I experienced no side effects of any sort.

December 15, 2011 2:54 AM

Biaxin (clarithromycin): I started Biaxin for Bronchitis 3 nights ago. By the next day I noticed some improvement in my chest congestion, but it's been 3 days and I still have a congested cough. I would have thought it would be somewhat better by now. It's the weekend so there's not much I can do. If I still have the chest congestion on Monday I'm going back to the Dr. Overall though there is an improvement.

October 22, 2011 8:57 PM

I couldn't believe how quickly Clarithromycin worked. After two days, of two a day, I felt better than I had in weeks. There are side effects though, such as the dreadful taste that appears to last the entire time you are taking the medication.

October 6, 2011 9:09 AM

Review by Mikedb:

Biaxin (clarithromycin): Biaxin was prescribed for bronchitis 500mg 2x daily. I have experienced metallic taste since the first pill. I am tired and have experienced a soreness on my right side. I have experienced soreness on my right side from other antibiotics as well (not all antibiotics), so perhaps this is a rare sensitivity on my part.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 8, 2011 2:42 PM

Biaxin (clarithromycin): I have been on Biaxin for 3 days now. I have very loose bowel movements, horrible taste in my mouth, and I can't sleep. I have been eating tootsie roll pops to combat the bad taste in my mouth. I am going to stop Biaxin immediately and call my Doctor first thing in the morning. Up at 2:00 am now, wide awake with diarrhea and a tootsie roll pop!

December 24, 2010 3:01 AM

Biaxin (clarithromycin): This medication made me nauseous and left a hideous taste in my mouth. I only took the one pill, but the negative side effects lasted a full 12 hours. I drank tons of fluids but it did not help. I asked my doctor to give me an alternate antibiotic. The amoxicillin worked great.

March 9, 2010 10:16 PM

Biaxin (clarithromycin): Was given this medication to treat a secondary infection from bronchitis (because the original doctor only gave me 5 days of medicines). After 24 hours of taking this medication a second time I was hospitalized for 5 days with a severe allergic reaction.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 7, 2010 6:27 PM

Review by riceman9854:

Biaxin (clarithromycin): Went to Doctor's with very bad sore throat and cough. Was given Biaxin and it took two days for my throat to clear up but my throat was very bad. It seems to be working. I was given a cough medicine too, could not tell which one was making me tired.

November 26, 2009 4:47 PM