User Reviews for Clarithromycin

Also known as: Biaxin, Biaxin XL

Learn more about Clarithromycin.

Clarithromycin Rating Summary

5.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 148 medications used in the treatment of Bronchitis.

Reviews for Clarithromycin to treat Bronchitis

"So far so good helping with my chest infection but I can't stand the constant bitter taste in my mouth. I have also been having problems sleeping and have had diarrhea, it's only day 2 so am now not sure if I should continue taking this medication."

Anonymous May 21, 2016

"Have a chest infection that will not go away so was prescribed these as my first antibiotic had not cleared it up. Day 1 and I think I am dying! Palpitations, shaking, tired , dry mouth after only one 500mg dose. I am now in panic mode and have rung the surgery to see what I do next. Hope this feeling goes away."

perriwinkle April 21, 2016

Biaxin XL (clarithromycin): "I have gotten bronchitis a few times. I have tried many other antibiotics, and none worked, biaxin is the only antibiotic I can take that actually works, personally the only side effects I ever experienced is a mild metallic taste in mouth, but it is not much of a big deal"

i have gotten bronchitis a few April 19, 2016

Biaxin (clarithromycin): "I was prescribed Biaxin for bronchitis. I've taken three pills. I have an horrible taste in my mouth all the time along with severe dry mouth. My stomach is tossing and turning, making the loudest noises I've ever heard a stomach make! I haven't had problems with nausea/vomiting but the diarrhea from this is horrendous! On the second day of taking this I got this huge burst of energy and wanted to clean every inch of my house and rearrange each room! (sort of strange as I'm still coughing constantly and having a very hard time breathing) I'm also having trouble sleeping. I'm not sure that I will be taking anymore of these."

Amandafromtheblock April 6, 2016

"I was prescribed This for acute bronchitis. First day I took it I had a bad heavy headache one hour after, laid in bed played on my phone and kind of just fell asleep. It was fine, I was fine, little to no side effects. But vivid bad dream. I then take it before bed time 12 hours after first dose. Attempt to sleep, rolling back and forth, I cough and there's that taste that everyone talks about, no sleeping. Restless, light headed. So not worth it not taking my next doses after this, I want to get better but I'd like to not feel like this. Even though my cough is somewhat subsided, but I work 35-40 hours and it's not worth it."

Suezin April 5, 2016

"I have a bronchitis and the doctor prescribe me clarithromycin and im only at the second day of taking it bad nausea extreme bad taste in mouth severe gaz stomache discomfort and always need to pee im stopping this antibiotic right now and tomorow im gonna ask my doctor to change it the only thing i did find useful for the bad taste and it reduce it a bit is to chew excel gum but it dont last long hope next one is not gonna be that worst"

Katlove4 (taken for less than 1 month) March 19, 2016

"Well I'm on this medication because I have a little pneumonia on my upper left lobe. I have a funny taste in my mouth also and the dreams I have are awful. The first day I took this I had diarrea twice. At night for the first few days I could sleep and now it keeps me awake at night although I'm tired. I'm still coughing and I dont know if I should take cough medicine or not I have not any other side affect so far"

ldydi (taken for less than 1 month) March 4, 2016

"I was prescribed this medicine 4 days ago for a really bad case of bronchitis. I felt so weak and generally just awful. I was so glad that the doctor gave me some antibiotics to clear up the infection; he also gave me 2 inhalers to help open up my airways. I was so light headed and pale. On day three I had a glass of wine and thought I was going to die, I was very cold and lightheaded (don't drink alcohol). Apart from my stupidity I'm feeling a little better, still coughing when I lay down but better overall; but the side effects are just awful. Theres the taste, but I also feel kinda out of it, I can feel the drug in my blood stream. One minute I want to lay down and the next I'm hyperactive. 4 more days (1000mg daily :("

bettybeattie (taken for less than 1 month) January 31, 2016

"Thank Goodness I found this site as a person who avoids taking antibiotics I thought I was going mad. My doctor prescribed Clarithromycin after a ten day course of Amoxicillin failed to shift bad bronchitis. The vile bad taste in my mouth is with me most of the day and wakes me up at night it's so horrible! I have been alternating between insomnia with adrenaline rushes (just couldn't sleep whatever I did to try and relax) but then the next day, although felt exhausted I just couldn't sit still and cleaned the whole house! My eyes are dry and gritty but no tummy upsets. I usually have pro biotic drink each day though. I dream vividly all the time but had some awful scary nightmares with this anti biotic! Only three tablets left"

Wanttofeelwell (taken for less than 1 month) January 24, 2016

"After an 8 week cold, 3 weeks a of bad cough and generally feeling under the weather and out of breath even on the gentlest of slopes, I went to the doctor who diagnosed bronchitis. I was put on a 5 day course of Clarithromycin 500 mg pills and a 10 day burst of Prednisalone starting at 30 mg. Even after one antibiotic I felt relief. I had no side effects whatsoever. I maybe should mention I have an autoimminune disease, PMR, and take a very low dose of steroids and also Omezrapol (a gastric resistant capsule prescribed for people taking steroids). I live in Scotland where all prescriptions are free."

EALFife December 26, 2015

"I was prescribed clarithromycin and Prednisone for my sinus infection and bronchitis. I was told by my pharmacist to take the clarithromycin with food. Then she told me to eat something like Activa yogurt about 2 hours after taking the clarithromycin because clarithromycin will tend to kill the good bacteria in your stomach which is what brings on the diarrhea many complain of. The activa then helps rebuild the good bacteria in your stomach. On my third day and feeling a little better, and never any diarrhea. I attribute the good experience to good pharmacist suggestions.I make sure to eat food and the Activa yogurt 2 hours later, and no side effects yet and I am feeling on the mend,"

Sinus issue then bronchitus December 2, 2015

"This is my third day taking this antibiotic. It gave me really bad body aches and nausea. The third day I literally felt like I was dying. I always eat before I take it. I had to make myself throw up. My body was just going numb. It was sending shocking pains throughout my body. I was going in and out of consciousness. I highly don't recommend this medication. Everyone's bodies is different though. It was definitely not worth it for me."

_katyhewitt (taken for less than 1 month) October 29, 2015

"Every dose of this medicine has caused worse side effects. Extreme nausea, diarrhea, awful taste in my mouth, palpitations, fatigue, dizziness, shakes - the list goes on. Day 4, I couldn't move 2 steps without wanting the vomit, yet I had to literally sprint to the bathroom for my bowels. I actually had to call into work because I felt so ill. Ended up calling my doctor to get switched to a different antibiotic. Never, never, never again."

vickythomp117 October 20, 2015

"I have SLE, and was prescribed Clarithromycin for respiratory/lung infection. I had previously taken a course of antibiotics but it didn't work, and was thus prescribed Clarithromycin. The first two days I didn't feel better, i was nauseated, still coughing like crazy, and vomiting/hacking out phelgm every 5 mins. On the third day, my coughing subsided moderately and I didn't seem to be producing much phelgm. But a metallic taste crept into my mouth and i was getting increasingly nauseous every time I took the medicine, to the extent that I vomited my food and perhaps the medication twice. It also gave me nightmares, hallucinations, palpitations, when I take it at night. Now its day 5 and I'm considering stopping it altogether.."

falleen (taken for less than 1 month) September 18, 2015

"Bronchitis possible pneumonia. Note this drug used to be rather inexpensive and is not the case anymore. If you're reading this chances are you are either taking this already or have been just given a script. This drug is in the Macrolide family of antibiotics and is usually (USUALLY) not an antibiotic that causes an allergic reaction. I have not had the odd taste in my mouth that others have expressed. This antibiotic made me extremely hyper. Couldn't sleep until exhaustion set in. That is most likely my fault as I have an abnormal EKG and did not want to mix other drugs with this antibiotic. Check drug interactions if you have a heart issues before taking this drug. All in all, so far so good and Clar. appears to be working."

fourNsix August 23, 2015

"I was prescribed 10 days of clarithromycin for a respiratory infection. Since Day 3, I've been experiencing a lot of fatigue, abdominal swelling/discomfort/pain, intermittent diarrhea, constant severe heartburn, and a constant, nauseating taste that keeps me awake at night. It's also triggered the worst asthma attack of my life (probably because of the heartburn). Each day is worse than the previous day, and it's unlikely that my doctor will want me to suffer through the full course. When my doctor and I are done treating this bug, we'll get to focus on treating the damage this drug caused."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 13, 2015

"Got prescribed clarithromycin for bronchitis, I have never felt side effects taking other prescriptions like I feel taking this. I have the horrible metallic taste in my mouth, gassy, diarrhea, upset stomach, and now on day 5 and having nightmares. It has helped the bronchitis but I don't think I can handle the side effects anymore."

Me123ABC July 29, 2015

"Works very fast. I was sick with a sinus infection for 8 days...the first day I felt better.. But, the side effects are almost unbearable. Very similar to morning sickness in a pregnancy. It does go away a few hours later"

Lincard June 25, 2015

"After 4 days of thinking I had a severe cold, I was diagnosed with Bronchitis (possible walking pneumonia) at the Urgent Care. Was prescribed Proair and Clarathromycin 500mg. I was also given Musinex to help loosen the mucus. I started with the first dose at 9 pm and by the next morning I felt a whole lot better. It works really fast! I like the fact it doesn't smell like smelly hard boiled eggs like some other antibiotics, to me it smelled like Jordan almonds which I like :) I'm on my third day and I can acually take a deep cleansing breath without any wheezing or coughing. I did not have any of the side effects except for being a little lathargic."

AroLovesPink (taken for less than 1 month) June 18, 2015

"This is the most vial tasting medication I have ever taken. Seems to be working, but it is disgusting. I have a horrible taste in my mouth all day long, and I've tried brushing/scraping my tongue, eating yogurt, eating strong mints, all to no avail. Man, is is just horrible tasting."

tinamri May 20, 2015

Biaxin (clarithromycin): "I was diagnosed with acute bronchitis with dry cough, wheezing, chest pain, fever & fatigue. Within a day of taking Biaxin the pain & fever was gone. The coughing and fatigue lasted a week. The only side effect was an unpleasant aftertaste which was minor. Overall the drug worked pretty well."

Mel76 May 15, 2015

"I didn't experience or notice any of the side effects until I started having the metal taste. This started happening on day 7. After reading all the side effects I realized that I did suffer from the excess heart rate, nightmares, lethargic, wanting to sleep all the time and of course the metal taste....I could only think it's similar to keeping a large amount of dirty pennies in your mouth for several hours. I only get the taste towards the evening and all night."

6Steve8 March 26, 2015

"This seems to be dealing with the bronchitis after 2 days so I feel better with only a residual phlegmy cough. The side effects have been constipation at first, then very loose mucus laden stools. Much stomach gurgling and vicious wind. Bitter, metallic taste in my mouth, especially night mornings. Dreadful nightmares since taking this medication."

London Johnboy February 16, 2015

"A & E diagnosed with bronchitis, tonsillitis, and sinusitis, had low oxygen and high heart rate so given these tablets as they cover all 3 infections, very strong tablets. First tablet I took on practically empty stomach, big mistake, started feeling sick then started panicking which make my breathing bad, my husband was about to take me back to A&ee but I managed to calm down and have some soup. 2nd tablet I took with food and was getting heart palpitations for 30 minutes. Went to bed woke up took another tab and feeling a bit better already, temperature gone, sore throat gone, just sinus pain still and cough with phlegm. Slight stomach pain but I get stomach pain all the time so unsure if related. Funny taste some time in my mouth. Fast acting."

Monique87 December 27, 2014

"Only started taking this medicine today. It's very big and hard to swallow. After about 20 minutes of taking the first one, I was asleep. Makes me feel very drowsy and rather weak, but it doesn't hurt to breathe as much and the tightness in my chest has significantly improved. Before I took it, I had some yoghurt as someone has previously suggested here and have no metallic taste in my mouth, no runs or vomiting."

Littlelil (taken for less than 1 month) December 10, 2014