User Reviews for Clarithromycin

Also known as: Biaxin, Biaxin XL

Learn more about Clarithromycin.

Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis 3 reviews 114 medications

5.8
Sinusitis 38 reviews 251 medications

5.5
Follicular Lymphoma 1 reviews 3 medications

Bacterial Endocarditis Prevention 0 reviews 53 medications Not rated - Be the first
Legionella Pneumonia 0 reviews 26 medications Not rated - Be the first
Mycobacterium avium-...are, Prophylaxis 0 reviews 7 medications Not rated - Be the first
Mycobacterium avium-...ulare, Treatment 0 reviews 12 medications Not rated - Be the first
Nongonococcal Urethritis 0 reviews 46 medications Not rated - Be the first
Pertussis 0 reviews 21 medications Not rated - Be the first
Pertussis Prophylaxis 0 reviews 15 medications Not rated - Be the first
Skin and Structure Infection 0 reviews 64 medications Not rated - Be the first
Toxoplasmosis 0 reviews 34 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Clarithromycin reviews 112 reviews 6.2

Reviews for Clarithromycin

Review by tmp42:

For Dental Abscess: I got a dental abscess and I'm taking my clarithromycin and still my cheeks are huge like a golf ball in my mouth and I'm getting worried.

May 15, 2014 4:37 PM

Review by Vary Ferguson,,:

For Sinusitis: I have had sinus infection since February of this year. Been on antibiotics twice and nasal spray, none of which had helped, after the 2nd coarse of antibiotics I developed a raging flu, which kept me in bed. When it was not clearing, 10days later, returned to my doc and was given Claithromycin 7 day coarse. Have been told about the metallic taste, which I can cope with as long as it clears up this dreadful infection.

April 29, 2014 8:45 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis: I'm not allergic to penicillin, but was given Clarithromycin due to a very severe antibiotic-resistant bout of tonsillitis. I'd been suffering for weeks taking antibiotics that didn't work, but literally after the first tablet, I noticed a difference. Works VERY well. However, these are not particularly good tablets to take when you have swollen tonsils because they are huge tablets - I had to cut mine up and swallow them in 4 pieces. Also, I've noticed some side effects: I have diarrhoea (not too badly, but it makes life a bit more difficult), wind, and the taste in my mouth is constantly bitter. But overall, a very good medicine!

April 28, 2014 6:12 AM

Review by Melbah toasty:

For Sinusitis: Been taking Biaxin for my 4th day. I got a really bad cold which left me with a sinus infection. I'm allergic to many things, and I always have issues with my sinus. This has worked great for clearing it up and relieving the pressure, but like everyone else on here, I too, am experiencing the awful taste it leaves in my mouth. It also has wrecked havoc on my stomach. My mother is being treated for the same cold, and she was up all night, the first day on them, vomited a lot. You have to suffer something in order to get the best results. This works, and I'll deal with whatever side effects it dishes out, if it means I can breathe again!

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 28, 2014 1:54 AM

Review by happyredhead (taken for less than 1 month):

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: I have taken clarithromycin on two separate occasions for treatment of Helicobacter Pylori both times. One time was approximately 7 years ago and then again about 3 years ago. I am about to start another round along with amoxicillin and bismuth, which is Pepto Bismol. Clarithromycin leaves a horrible metallic taste in my mouth. I am not looking forward to taking it again. The only thing that seemed to relieve this momentarily was chocolate. I kept Hershey's kisses with me all the time. I would even have to get up in the middle of the night and eat one. The taste was so bad that I couldn't even go back to sleep. A nurse told me that she had heard this worked. After eradication, try Oregano oil, grapefruit seed extract, and tumeric daily.

April 9, 2014 6:00 PM

Review by Gosse bluff:

For Otitis Media: I have had an outer ear infection that was well advanced by the time I started taking clarithromycin the pain I experienced up until I started taking the antibiotics was searing. My doctor gave me a course clarithromycin 250 mg to be taken for one week, two tablets twice a day (4 tablets a day) I took the first two tabs together in the morning of the first day and then separated the next two by the next morning the pain had reduced enough to the point that I didn't need to take pain relief medication. By lunch time I felt considerably better and now as I txt my review I would have to say that the pain has gone from extreme when I first started taking the medication to a mild sensation in my ear on day two. It has worked well and quick.

April 3, 2014 7:00 AM

Review by fitzle:

Biaxin (clarithromycin) for Bronchitis: I was full of itises: bronchitis, sinusitis and pharyngitis and felt miserable. Doc prescribed Biaxin and I started to be on the mend in a couple of days after starting treatment. On day 3 of taking it I felt good enough to exercise (not super intense, but enough to at least get the blood flowing and feel like a human being again.) Biaxin has been hard on my gut. It helps to eat a lot of food before taking it. If my stomach starts hurting or cramping, I eat more food and it helps relieve it. Unexpected side effect: Biaxin gave me energy and increased aggression/agitation. It did what it was supposed to do and knocked out my infection. All in all, worth it for me.

March 28, 2014 7:19 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis: I'm allergic to amoxicillin, penicillin, and erythromycin. This is pretty much the only antibiotic I can take. Works fast, works well. Only side effect is I get night sweats. It gets 10/10 because this is the only antibiotic that I can actually take without Bad Stuff (or death) happening.

March 15, 2014 8:33 PM

Review by Catsch:

For Sinusitis: Took this medication four times for sinusitis and it works the best for me, I feel so much better within 24hrs, it's fast acting, the only side effect I experienced was a bad but tolerable metallic taste in my mouth.

February 24, 2014 8:53 PM

Review by charmdddd:

For Skin Infection: I found this medicine to be a mistake for me. I had severe inflammation of my upper eyelid, swollen, red, and very uncomfortable, so the Dr. prescribed this hoping it would solve the problem. First day I took it, within two to three hours, I was immediately running for the bathroom. It made me very ill regardless of what I ate, I took an antacid, probiotics, ate carefully, ate more than usual when I took it, drank only water, etc. It gave me the worst stomach cramps I have ever had, made me so nauseous I had to call out of work, and I stayed put on my bed writhing in pain.

February 17, 2014 9:49 PM

Review by corsakay (taken for less than 1 month):

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: After the first set of antibiotics didn't work, I was given this type...3 days in, my cough has definitely improved but the metallic taste I constantly have is just horrible. Will continue with treatment just eating mints lots, but they don't really hide the taste.

February 13, 2014 2:09 AM

Review by flip2 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bronchitis: I have been given this medicine every year for the past 3 years when I get bronchitis. Every year, I forget about the symptoms from previous years but I am done taking this medicine. After the 3rd or 4th day, I get really bad muscle aches and the Dr's don't do anything about it. I can't sleep and will come to the point that I can barely move because of all the pain I am in. I will start remembering this from now on so I don't experience it again.

February 11, 2014 2:42 PM

Review by JanMam:

For Sinusitis: I was prescribed clarithromycin for a sinus infection. I have been battling this for four weeks. And two prescriptions before this. I am on day three and feel only a little better. I have read it takes 4-5 days to feel better especially if you have had it awhile. The sinuses are hard to penetrate. I have had no stomach problems, I recommend probiotics. Nasty taste in my mouth...Gatorade helps a bit. I have also had fatigue and headache but I am unsure if this is due to the antibiotics or that my body has had it with medication. Hope this helps someone.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 7, 2014 10:49 AM

Review by helpp mee:

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: My first day and I got nausea and runs and I got a little pain in my neck and shoulder.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 26, 2014 8:07 PM

Review by Mrs. Right (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bronchitis: My ailment wasn't actually bronchitis, but tracheal irritation - it wasn't in my lungs. I started taking it after being exhausted from coughing. I had diarrhea after the first day, because I took the first dose too late after breakfast. Since then, I took it in the middle of breakfast and haven't had any GI symptoms since. My cough and chest showed an almost immediate improvement! What a difference! I have also been limiting my sugar intake (to prevent a yeast infection), eating yogurt every day and taking acidophilus to prevent further bowel irritation. So far so good. I have 4 days left. I noticed a bitter taste in my mouth about 2 days ago. I felt reassured after reading some of the comments here that it is a side effect.

January 20, 2014 4:57 PM

Review by Katz5 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Pneumonia: The third day the pleurisy pain was gone. Very good antibiotic.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 17, 2014 8:22 PM

Review by Stardust 2567:

For Bronchitis: I had a horrible sore throat and pain in all my body, after using the first tablet, I noticed the difference. By night I had no sore throat and no muscle pain. It worked amazingly fast BUT the side effect I experienced was extreme bitterness in my mouth which caused me to wake up in the middle of night & wash my mouth, eat some fruit & wash again & went back to sleep but the next morning I woke up with the same taste in my mouth & it continues the same way all along. I also experienced some nausea.

January 10, 2014 4:02 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bronchitis: I cannot sleep.

January 3, 2014 6:18 PM

Review by Shelbs. (taken for less than 1 month):

For Sinusitis: After taking this pill in one day I have all the sudden developed a very upset stomach and my heart rate went from 60 to 106 bpm. And I'm having severe anxiety but I feel very weak.

December 30, 2013 11:02 PM

For Sinusitis: I have been on Biaxin for about 7 days for sinus infection and bronchitis. I started to feel better after a couple of days, but don't feel as good. Still coughing and stuffed up on one side. Side effects haven't been too bad - metallic taste in mouth for some time after I take it, but goes away. Also makes me a little nauseous if I don't take with food. Wondering if I need to go back to the Dr. though.

November 24, 2013 1:37 PM

Review by enicholson:

Biaxin (clarithromycin) for Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: Only been on for 3 days, still coughing a bit but feel much better overall. Pharmacist told me to eat yogurt or take probiotics so maybe that's why Im not experiencing any side effects at all.

November 20, 2013 9:28 PM

Review by i hurt bad:

For Bronchitis: severe stomach pain, this is the worst I have ever felt I will be calling the doctor in the morning, stop taking them hope I make it until morning :( this is my 2nd day on them.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 3, 2013 12:43 AM

Review by Bexta (taken for less than 1 month):

For Sinusitis: Wrote on here yesterday. Just updating. Doc advised me to stop taking clarithromycin after I took only one 500mg last night. My experience- awful taste in mouth, vomiting, lower back pain, aching all over, severe stomach pain, couldnt sleep, dizziness, severe anxiety, dull heavy headache (similar to a hang over) and very dry mouth. All this after only ONE tablet. This medication is EVIL! Take with extreme caution people. Good luck x

October 22, 2013 7:49 AM

Review by reviewer3434:

For Bronchitis: I have bronchitis and they prescribed Clarithromycin. I have been taking them for 4 days now (I need to take them 10 days). I feel often dizzy, have headaches, very nauseous. My mouth always taste gross, like a metallic taste, I often have to rinse my mouth with water because of the bad taste (even at night I have to get up and rinse my mouth because the taste makes me nauseous). Just wanted to share.

October 11, 2013 7:19 PM

Review by laurenla:

For Strep Throat: This medication worked very fast except I got an yeast infection by the 3rd day. Women, definitely take Canesten during the course of this medication, if you are sensitive to antibiotics.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate