User Reviews for Clarithromycin

Also known as: Biaxin, Biaxin XL

Learn more about Clarithromycin.

Pharyngitis 4 reviews 44 medications

Helicobacter Pylori Infection 8 reviews 60 medications

Sinusitis 46 reviews 251 medications

5.7
Follicular Lymphoma 1 reviews 3 medications

Bacterial Endocarditis Prevention 0 reviews 55 medications Not rated - Be the first
Legionella Pneumonia 0 reviews 26 medications Not rated - Be the first
Mycobacterium avium-...are, Prophylaxis 0 reviews 7 medications Not rated - Be the first
Mycobacterium avium-...ulare, Treatment 0 reviews 12 medications Not rated - Be the first
Nongonococcal Urethritis 0 reviews 46 medications Not rated - Be the first
Pertussis 0 reviews 21 medications Not rated - Be the first
Pertussis Prophylaxis 0 reviews 16 medications Not rated - Be the first
Skin and Structure Infection 0 reviews 65 medications Not rated - Be the first
Toxoplasmosis 0 reviews 34 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Clarithromycin reviews 148 reviews 6.5

Reviews for Clarithromycin

For Strep Throat: "This is my second time taking clarithromycin for strep. First time I took it I hardly had any side effects and began improving drastically after a day, only down side was a metallic taste which I found well worth the pain as I hadn't eaten in 4 days. This time my doctor prescribed me amoxicillin. My condition only worsened and I took it for 4 days before getting another prescription. I took a tablet 4-5 hours ago and I'm already noticing mild improvements. This time around my strep was severe and the swelling was a little obscene making it hard to eat food with it. I managed to get down 3 spoonfuls of jello and half a glass of chocolate milk. I experienced mild stomach pain that served more as a warning than anything."

Airbir May 22, 2015

Biaxin (clarithromycin) for Bronchitis: "I was diagnosed with acute bronchitis with dry cough, wheezing, chest pain, fever & fatigue. Within a day of taking Biaxin the pain & fever was gone. The coughing and fatigue lasted a week. The only side effect was an unpleasant aftertaste which was minor. Overall the drug worked pretty well."

Mel76 May 15, 2015

For Pharyngitis: "The drug is good. Been under weather for months and sore throat swollen glands for 6 weeks. Doctor prescribed this. Partner thought I was suffering placebo effect because it honestly makes you feel better within one or two doses. Given 9/10 rating for effectiveness. However side effects are rotten. Last time had erythromycin ended up dialling 999. Apparently this is same family. Maybe I am susceptible to it. Been awake at night with the awful taste and heartburn. This morning heartburn is worse than pregnancy and have four days left. Am drinking water and lemonade and that seems to help the taste. Nausea is awful on a morning even when I ate last night's with chip butty and ginger biscuits."

haggis79 May 14, 2015

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: "I tested positive for H. Pylori bacteria causing a stomach ulcer. Day one on this stuff was brutal. I was in so much pain/ nausea that I got sent home from work and scheduled an appointment with a GI Dr. Today is much better, but I need to constantly have something easy in my stomach to not feel sick. I immediately got the metallic taste on my mouth and get a bit cotton-mouthy at night. Otherwise, no other major side effects."

HT25 (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2015

For Sinusitis: "Very effective medication but the taste in the mouth is absolutely brutal and I find once the infection is gone and you still need to continue, your stomach starts getting upset.. The only thing that helped me not throw up from the taste is cinnamon gum! Hope it helps :)"

Anonymous May 7, 2015

For Pneumonia: "Towards the end of the week taking med, I was starting to have diarrhea. During the whole time taking it I had the taste of throw up in my mouth."

from south florida (taken for less than 1 month) May 3, 2015

For Pharyngitis: "Within 24 hours of taking these tablets all the pain had gone away and I felt much better. Gave me an upset tummy but more than worth it. Avoid taking on an empty stomach, I felt sick for a short while after taking them on day 1 when I didnt feel well enough to eat"

Jane.k (taken for less than 1 month) April 24, 2015

For Sinusitis: "The first 3 days of taking this I was having hot flashes and felt nauseous from the taste of the pills. So I ate a lot of throat lozenges to try and get rid of the taste. I would wake up in the middle of the night because I could taste it still. I have one more day left to take the medicine. Sinus is gone which is fantastic. Doctor told me to take probiotics everyday or I could get a yeast infection. I took probiotics everyday and towards the end of taking these pills I had a little painful urinating and now I think I have a yeast infection."

Apollo123 (taken for less than 1 month) April 20, 2015

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "Was prescribed a weeks course to clear a skin abscess, have a penicillin allergy, and worked well, but side effects very noticeable - metallic taste in my mouth from day 2 and very painful stiff neck making it difficult to move my head while sleeping or turn my head while awake and up and about. Also had vivid disturbing dreams. No stomach upsets though..."

Wheels22 (taken for less than 1 month) April 15, 2015

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "Worked well but left a ridiculously bad taste in my mouth, especially over night and morning. Blah!!! Bit of an upset stomach"

Krista1234 April 12, 2015

For Bronchitis: "I didn't experience or notice any of the side effects until I started having the metal taste. This started happening on day 7. After reading all the side effects I realized that I did suffer from the excess heart rate, nightmares, lethargic, wanting to sleep all the time and of course the metal taste....I could only think it's similar to keeping a large amount of dirty pennies in your mouth for several hours. I only get the taste towards the evening and all night."

6Steve8 March 26, 2015

Biaxin (clarithromycin) for Sinusitis: "have used Biaxin (actually now always the generic version) for many years. Works great for me, always makes me feel much better within 12-18 hours of taking the first pill. Never had ANY side effects, except metallic taste - which has never bothered me (never been very strong). Great drug, wonderful for my chronic sinusitis. (Hint: I eat lots of miso when taking antibiotics; does wonders for my GI when taking antibiotics. Miso soup, miso on top of rice, miso in various dishes; just make sure you get the longest fermented one you can find - I buy 2-yr miso.)"

Jb-in-VA (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 25, 2015

For Sinusitis: "The day after I was completely not congested anymore. The headache was still present though. It took three days for that to go away but I was still able to go to work and school by the second day. The only downside was I experienced extreme dizziness within the first few days and it left a terrible bitter taste in my mouth all day."

steph383882822 March 25, 2015

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: "I'm taking this medicine apart of a triple antibiotic therapy. It makes me so miserable that I feel like I'm dying. I hope it gets better but it sucks. I can't wait until I can throw the empty bottle away."

Couurrtnicole March 20, 2015

For Sinusitis: "I noticed they made my sinus unblock pretty quick but I had to go doctor and change them to amoxycillin. With clarithromycin I had heart palpitations, sweats and horrific nightmares along with tension headache. Was horrible I thought I was gonna pass out. "

chezzagaga March 19, 2015

For Pneumonia: "I'm on day 6 of Biaxin for pnemonia. I take probiotics and have had no issues with this med until a few hours ago. I was awoken with a horrible overwhelmingly bitter taste in my mouth. Yuck! 4 more days of this med...hope this taste goes soon."

Momma D (taken for less than 1 month) March 19, 2015

For Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis: "Had a nasty case of tonsillitis that I was given penicillin for initially. After two days my symptoms had worstened and Dr gave me clarithromycin. After just one tablet I began to feel better quickly. That evening I was able to manage a bowl of soup, that morning I was struggling with sips of water. Horrendous wind two days into week course, like a chemical smell. Then third and fifth day quite a bad case of diarrhoea with same chemical odour. No stomach pains and liveable with due to being effective as an antibiotic! Pain completely gone now upon swallowing. Yawning and sneezing still very painful and can still feel lump when swallowing. Ears, glands and neck still sore but still have two days still to take. Have a nasty taste in mouth."

quinsy March 16, 2015

For Dental Abscess: "I have been fighting face swelling and shooting pain for over a month. Went to many different doctors they all kept telling me sinus infection , rebound sinus infection blah blah finally got tired of the constant pain and swelling and the horrible congestion. I started researching and found stuff that led me to believe it was an abscess I set up a dentist appointment up the next day which was yesterday. After Dr looked and did a set of X-rays determined it was a sinus infection not treated properly that in return infected my mouth. He gave me Clindamycin 150mg 1 pill every 6 hours. After the first pill I could feel the congestion breaking up and as gross as it sounds the abscess started to drain! At last somethings working"

Tired of the yuck (taken for less than 1 month) March 11, 2015

For Strep Throat: "I took this for my severe strep throat. I was initially given amoxicillin which didn't work at all the doctor switched me to this. After 1 day I already improved and my fevers and chills subsided and I was able to swallow without extreme pain. The downside: the stomach pain and nausea and the metallic taste in my mouth."

Lala1234 March 3, 2015

For Strep Throat: "Only three pills &: continuous bitterness in my mouth... Never ending headache... Tremors... Dizziness..."

Verbal (taken for less than 1 month) February 21, 2015

For Bronchitis: "This seems to be dealing with the bronchitis after 2 days so I feel better with only a residual phlegmy cough. The side effects have been constipation at first, then very loose mucus laden stools. Much stomach gurgling and vicious wind. Bitter, metallic taste in my mouth, especially night mornings. Dreadful nightmares since taking this medication."

London Johnboy February 16, 2015

For Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis: "Just got my tonsils out and was allergic to the first antibiotic they gave me. If getting this, try the tablet form as the liquid form has a sandy texture and tastes gross! Very hard to get down!"

Errrrrrrr January 29, 2015

Biaxin (clarithromycin) for Pharyngitis: "Within two hours of taking the first pill, I could feel the congestion start breaking up. Feeling much better after two days' treatment & no side effects."

Sick Chik (taken for less than 1 month) January 27, 2015

For Sinusitis: "2nd time I've taken (I had leftovers because I couldn't stand the stomach pain). It works fast, but my gosh the taste in my mouth is horrible horrible. Hopefully I won't get stomach pain again!"

Ronda1967 January 24, 2015

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: "Terrible taste in my mouth from this medication! It also dries you out! One of my chief complaints before being prescribed this med was a bad taste in my mouth. It was found to be from H Plylori. I do feel better in the stomach due to this medication but the horrible taste is way nasty!"

rocket5 (taken for less than 1 month) January 17, 2015