User Reviews for Clarithromycin

Also known as: Biaxin, Biaxin XL

Learn more about Clarithromycin.

Pharyngitis 4 reviews 43 medications

6.3
Sinusitis 50 reviews 232 medications

5.9
Follicular Lymphoma 1 reviews 3 medications

Bacterial Endocarditis Prevention 0 reviews 55 medications Not rated - Be the first
Legionella Pneumonia 0 reviews 24 medications Not rated - Be the first
Mycobacterium avium-...are, Prophylaxis 0 reviews 7 medications Not rated - Be the first
Mycobacterium avium-...ulare, Treatment 0 reviews 12 medications Not rated - Be the first
Nongonococcal Urethritis 0 reviews 46 medications Not rated - Be the first
Pertussis 0 reviews 21 medications Not rated - Be the first
Pertussis Prophylaxis 0 reviews 14 medications Not rated - Be the first
Skin and Structure Infection 0 reviews 60 medications Not rated - Be the first
Toxoplasmosis 0 reviews 34 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Clarithromycin reviews 161 reviews 7.2

Reviews for Clarithromycin

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: "I took it with amoxicillin 500 twice a day for 7 days after 2 days I had abdominal cramp but after finishing the treatment my stomach pain gone completely but abdominal cramp , indigestion ,nausea, motion sickness, heart burn continues until now 20 days after finishing it. I admitted to hospital last week because of severe upper abdominal pain, every test and scan was normal. I will never take this medicine at all. I was dying really. Still cannot study and go university after one month."

Nagi July 25, 2015

For Sinusitis: "I am on my second round of antibiotics and this time my dr prescribed clarithromycin. I am finally able to breath and inhale through my nostrils for the first time in months. I firstly after taking the pills noticed the awful indescribable taste in my mouth. BUT breathing is much better than taste when it comes to taking this medicine. It actually works- I am a coffee drinker and I found out that coffee takes the taste away and ginger gum works great for any nausea. Iam shocked of the results and my bowels are still normal. Late at night I am drinking grape or fruit juices to help with dry mouth or taste. Daily regiment of yogurt helps from avoiding any UTI or yeast infections! Happy recovering- hope this helps!"

feeling better yay! (taken for less than 1 month) July 16, 2015

Biaxin (clarithromycin) for Helicobacter Pylori Infection: "I have terrible anxiety and was very afraid to take biaxin because I'd never taken it before. I worry about crazy things like having an anaphylactic reaction to medications, throat swelling shut, not being able to breathe, hives ect. I was on a triple antibiotic treatment of Biaxin, Flagyl, and Prilosec twice a day with Protonix taken alone every morning. I always ate yogurt twice a day with the medication as well as a meal so I my stomach wouldn't hurt or be upset. I never took the medication without food as instructed so I never had any stomach problems at all. The only side effect I had was an odd taste in my mouth but it wasn't overwhelming or bothersome."

TrisKal July 11, 2015

For Pneumonia: "At first, I had horrible sickness with the tablets. I started them the day I got them because my doctor insisted I did so my pneumonia didn't get worse and the first two days were awful. I had the urge to be sick about ten minutes after taking the tablet and it would last mostly all day/night. I couldn't keep my food down so I lived off water, and then the sickness wore off and I was fine for the rest of the time taking them. My pneumonia has cleared up quite well and to be honest, the tablets smelt great and didn't taste all that bad. They have a lemon sherbet smell and taste to them. I did also experience a dry mouth and a nasty taste in my mouth a while after taking them, especially in the morning after sleeping."

JCB N (taken for less than 1 month) July 4, 2015

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: "I'm taking 500mg of clar. med along with 1,000mG amoxicillan to treat stomach bacterial infection (2x daily). I've experienced no side of amox. but clar. is making my sinuses drip with an awful med taste that creeps up into my mouth and along sides of my tongue. Strange, but hopeful :). No other side effects. In fact I feel good after taking my dose:)"

Stefany04 July 3, 2015

For Sinusitis: "Clarithromycin seems to be quite effective with sinusitis. I hate the side effects though. This antibiotic produces a bitter/metallic taste in my tongue. I haven't experienced diarrhea, but I now poop once in the morning and once in the evening. I used to poop once a day before taking this antibiotic."

simoncpu (taken for less than 1 month) July 2, 2015

For Strep Throat: "I was prescribed this medication to clear up my strep throat that had been lingering for quite some time. I had no side effects for the first day and found that my throat was beginning to feel better. However the second day I noticed an extremely sour taste in my mouth which I couldn't escape and a very upset stomach. This medication made me feel nauseous and ill for two days before I stopped taking the medication all together."

Lauren96 June 27, 2015

For Bronchitis: "Works very fast. I was sick with a sinus infection for 8 days...the first day I felt better.. But, the side effects are almost unbearable. Very similar to morning sickness in a pregnancy. It does go away a few hours later"

Lincard June 25, 2015

For Sinusitis: "Been On Clarithromycin for 5 Days and have to do a 7 day cycle - Only 4 tablets left. I would advice anyone not to google the side effects you are getting from this job because some websites say pregnancy! I have the most vile taste in my mouth, which gets worse as I cough. I wake up with my tongue stuck down to the bottom of my mouth and I feel extreme hunger pains/stomach pains. Saying that I would say this drug work very well. I have vivid dreams and can't sleep at all at night."

misshannahjane1 June 20, 2015

For Pneumonia: "I never had any problems what so ever with this medication!!! It always worked wonderfully for me. And I would recommend it to anyone and everyone!!!!!!! IT IS A GREAT MEDICINE!!!! THANK YOU!!"

Mae Mae Girl (taken for less than 1 month) June 18, 2015

For Bronchitis: "After 4 days of thinking I had a severe cold, I was diagnosed with Bronchitis (possible walking pneumonia) at the Urgent Care. Was prescribed Proair and Clarathromycin 500mg. I was also given Musinex to help loosen the mucus. I started with the first dose at 9 pm and by the next morning I felt a whole lot better. It works really fast! I like the fact it doesn't smell like smelly hard boiled eggs like some other antibiotics, to me it smelled like Jordan almonds which I like :) I'm on my third day and I can acually take a deep cleansing breath without any wheezing or coughing. I did not have any of the side effects except for being a little lathargic."

AroLovesPink (taken for less than 1 month) June 18, 2015

Biaxin (clarithromycin) for Sinusitis: "the only medication cleared my sinus infection. i have been on it for a month and my dr wants me to continue for another 4 weeks. I have not experienced any of side effects so far."

noname1000 June 9, 2015

For Strep Throat: "This is my second time taking clarithromycin for strep. First time I took it I hardly had any side effects and began improving drastically after a day, only down side was a metallic taste which I found well worth the pain as I hadn't eaten in 4 days. This time my doctor prescribed me amoxicillin. My condition only worsened and I took it for 4 days before getting another prescription. I took a tablet 4-5 hours ago and I'm already noticing mild improvements. This time around my strep was severe and the swelling was a little obscene making it hard to eat food with it. I managed to get down 3 spoonfuls of jello and half a glass of chocolate milk. I experienced mild stomach pain that served more as a warning than anything."

Airbir May 22, 2015

For Bronchitis: "This is the most vial tasting medication I have ever taken. Seems to be working, but it is disgusting. I have a horrible taste in my mouth all day long, and I've tried brushing/scraping my tongue, eating yogurt, eating strong mints, all to no avail. Man, is is just horrible tasting."

tinamri May 20, 2015

Biaxin (clarithromycin) for Bronchitis: "I was diagnosed with acute bronchitis with dry cough, wheezing, chest pain, fever & fatigue. Within a day of taking Biaxin the pain & fever was gone. The coughing and fatigue lasted a week. The only side effect was an unpleasant aftertaste which was minor. Overall the drug worked pretty well."

Mel76 May 15, 2015

For Pharyngitis: "The drug is good. Been under weather for months and sore throat swollen glands for 6 weeks. Doctor prescribed this. Partner thought I was suffering placebo effect because it honestly makes you feel better within one or two doses. Given 9/10 rating for effectiveness. However side effects are rotten. Last time had erythromycin ended up dialling 999. Apparently this is same family. Maybe I am susceptible to it. Been awake at night with the awful taste and heartburn. This morning heartburn is worse than pregnancy and have four days left. Am drinking water and lemonade and that seems to help the taste. Nausea is awful on a morning even when I ate last night's with chip butty and ginger biscuits."

haggis79 May 14, 2015

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: "I tested positive for H. Pylori bacteria causing a stomach ulcer. Day one on this stuff was brutal. I was in so much pain/ nausea that I got sent home from work and scheduled an appointment with a GI Dr. Today is much better, but I need to constantly have something easy in my stomach to not feel sick. I immediately got the metallic taste on my mouth and get a bit cotton-mouthy at night. Otherwise, no other major side effects."

HT25 (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2015

For Sinusitis: "Very effective medication but the taste in the mouth is absolutely brutal and I find once the infection is gone and you still need to continue, your stomach starts getting upset.. The only thing that helped me not throw up from the taste is cinnamon gum! Hope it helps :)"

Anonymous May 7, 2015

For Pneumonia: "Towards the end of the week taking med, I was starting to have diarrhea. During the whole time taking it I had the taste of throw up in my mouth."

from south florida (taken for less than 1 month) May 3, 2015

For Pharyngitis: "Within 24 hours of taking these tablets all the pain had gone away and I felt much better. Gave me an upset tummy but more than worth it. Avoid taking on an empty stomach, I felt sick for a short while after taking them on day 1 when I didnt feel well enough to eat"

Jane.k (taken for less than 1 month) April 24, 2015

For Sinusitis: "The first 3 days of taking this I was having hot flashes and felt nauseous from the taste of the pills. So I ate a lot of throat lozenges to try and get rid of the taste. I would wake up in the middle of the night because I could taste it still. I have one more day left to take the medicine. Sinus is gone which is fantastic. Doctor told me to take probiotics everyday or I could get a yeast infection. I took probiotics everyday and towards the end of taking these pills I had a little painful urinating and now I think I have a yeast infection."

Apollo123 (taken for less than 1 month) April 20, 2015

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "Was prescribed a weeks course to clear a skin abscess, have a penicillin allergy, and worked well, but side effects very noticeable - metallic taste in my mouth from day 2 and very painful stiff neck making it difficult to move my head while sleeping or turn my head while awake and up and about. Also had vivid disturbing dreams. No stomach upsets though..."

Wheels22 (taken for less than 1 month) April 15, 2015

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "Worked well but left a ridiculously bad taste in my mouth, especially over night and morning. Blah!!! Bit of an upset stomach"

Krista1234 April 12, 2015

For Bronchitis: "I didn't experience or notice any of the side effects until I started having the metal taste. This started happening on day 7. After reading all the side effects I realized that I did suffer from the excess heart rate, nightmares, lethargic, wanting to sleep all the time and of course the metal taste....I could only think it's similar to keeping a large amount of dirty pennies in your mouth for several hours. I only get the taste towards the evening and all night."

6Steve8 March 26, 2015

Biaxin (clarithromycin) for Sinusitis: "have used Biaxin (actually now always the generic version) for many years. Works great for me, always makes me feel much better within 12-18 hours of taking the first pill. Never had ANY side effects, except metallic taste - which has never bothered me (never been very strong). Great drug, wonderful for my chronic sinusitis. (Hint: I eat lots of miso when taking antibiotics; does wonders for my GI when taking antibiotics. Miso soup, miso on top of rice, miso in various dishes; just make sure you get the longest fermented one you can find - I buy 2-yr miso.)"

Jb-in-VA (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 25, 2015