User Reviews for Clarithromycin

Also known as: Biaxin, Biaxin XL

Learn more about Clarithromycin.

Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis 4 reviews 114 medications

Bronchitis 35 reviews 282 medications

Sinusitis 41 reviews 250 medications

5.5
Follicular Lymphoma 1 reviews 3 medications

Bacterial Endocarditis Prevention 0 reviews 53 medications Not rated - Be the first
Legionella Pneumonia 0 reviews 26 medications Not rated - Be the first
Mycobacterium avium-...are, Prophylaxis 0 reviews 7 medications Not rated - Be the first
Mycobacterium avium-...ulare, Treatment 0 reviews 12 medications Not rated - Be the first
Nongonococcal Urethritis 0 reviews 46 medications Not rated - Be the first
Pertussis 0 reviews 21 medications Not rated - Be the first
Pertussis Prophylaxis 0 reviews 15 medications Not rated - Be the first
Skin and Structure Infection 0 reviews 65 medications Not rated - Be the first
Toxoplasmosis 0 reviews 34 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Clarithromycin reviews 124 reviews 6.4

Reviews for Clarithromycin

Review by Errrrrrrr:

For Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis: Just got my tonsils out and was allergic to the first antibiotic they gave me. If getting this, try the tablet form as the liquid form has a sandy texture and tastes gross! Very hard to get down!

January 29, 2015 5:08 PM

Review by Sick Chik (taken for less than 1 month):

Biaxin (clarithromycin) for Pharyngitis: Within two hours of taking the first pill, I could feel the congestion start breaking up. Feeling much better after two days' treatment & no side effects.

January 27, 2015 10:36 AM

Review by Ronda1967:

For Sinusitis: 2nd time I've taken (I had leftovers because I couldn't stand the stomach pain). It works fast, but my gosh the taste in my mouth is horrible horrible. Hopefully I won't get stomach pain again!

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 24, 2015 2:42 AM

Review by F77ms (taken for less than 1 month):

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: Worked well as an anti biotic however the side effects were very distressing . Nausea . heart palpitations . Severe anxiety and feelings of impending doom . Un steadiness . The worse S/e s were the awful feelings of fear which were out of proportion . I felt as if I was about to faint because of the anxiety . I felt very upset and tearful about half an hour after taking them and the mental symptoms just escalated for a few hours . I will report these side effects to the GP and hopefully there is an alternative if I ever need A/b s again for a severe chest infection .

January 12, 2015 3:22 PM

Review by DrSaraE (taken for less than 1 month):

For Sinusitis: Third day on Clarithromycin, it has worked so far clearing up my chronic sinusitis, my voice is back and my sense of smell is back the only thing bad about it is the bitter taste in my mouth and lips. I don't know what to eat to change it. I make sure that I take my 2 500 tablets right after supper, I haven't had trouble with my stomach.

December 12, 2014 7:53 PM

Review by Littlelil (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bronchitis: Only started taking this medicine today. It's very big and hard to swallow. After about 20 minutes of taking the first one, I was asleep. Makes me feel very drowsy and rather weak, but it doesn't hurt to breathe as much and the tightness in my chest has significantly improved. Before I took it, I had some yoghurt as someone has previously suggested here and have no metallic taste in my mouth, no runs or vomiting.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 10, 2014 4:20 PM

Review by Littleone89:

For Pneumonia: I have been on this pill for 5 days now! It seems to work through the day but at night my chest still feels very sore, the pneumonia still hasn't seemed to fade. However, I am able to do more during the day without being in pain. Must be working! I too, had an awful metallic taste in my mouth all day after this pill. It made me sick to my stomach, to stop this I actually started taking my pill with Apple sauce. Just ate a few spoon fulls, then put the pill on the spoon in Apple sauce, and swallow. It leaves a tiny taste, however, it does not last and doesn't make me sick. I suggest trying something like this , not just water.

December 9, 2014 9:57 PM

For Bronchitis: I recently started on Biaxin. My doctor prescribed it for my bronchitis and sinus infection. The antibiotic works great, after about a day of taking it I felt a million times better. It's a really strong antibiotic though which has caused some awful side effects including bad taste in mouth, nervousness and upset stomach /nausea . If you have to take this I suggest eating before taking it and carrying around mints for the taste in mouth. Good luck!

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 18, 2014 9:10 AM

Review by male-mex-patient-40yrs (taken for less than 1 month):

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: I was having sore throat, swollen tonsils, dry cough, and mucus. After 3 days with 500mg every 12hours of Claritromycin, my throat got better, productive cough and feeling better in general with more energy. Side effects bad mouth taste (bitter) specially at nights at the bed.

October 8, 2014 1:15 PM

Review by yva:

For Sinusitis: I too woke up in the middle of my sleep because of the bad taste in my mouth. I thought I needed to eat but whatever I eat, it doesn't go. So I googled about it and found this site. I ate a salty meal, candies, chocolate, carrot and nothing works. I've only had two tablets so far.

October 5, 2014 11:40 AM

Review by Leemsu (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bronchitis: It is efficient for bronchitis and does the work better than any other anti-biotic, it is fast, but it made me sleepy, weak, dizzy, drowsy, vomitish because of the metallic taste and you get some bloating and diarrhea sometimes. You also get very weak from it that you want just to lie down, perhaps it's from the big fight between the medicine and the virus/bacteria!! I want just to mention that tea with mint helped with the bad taste, 2 tablets of Panadol/Tylenol daily for the drowsiness, and vitamin C daily to get some energy.

August 28, 2014 7:54 AM

Review by Madds:

For Otitis Media: I'm in the third day of taking Clarithromycin 500mg (1 pill 2x/day) for a double ear infection. I've been experiencing on and off pain, fluid drainage, poor hearing and just plain annoying sensations in my ears. I had a lymph node the size of a golf ball in my neck & neck pain. Now, lymph node shrunk, no more fluid or pain or annoying feelings. I can't sleep at night, though. No stomach problems or pain, but instead, I'm starving. It seems to have sped up my metabolism and though I'm eating more than I ever have before I'm actually losing weight for the first time in years. I'm a normal, healthy woman, 5ft 5in and 130lbs. Did someone switch my medicines with a miracle pill??

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 23, 2014 7:57 PM

Review by tmp42:

For Dental Abscess: I got a dental abscess and I'm taking my clarithromycin and still my cheeks are huge like a golf ball in my mouth and I'm getting worried.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 15, 2014 4:37 PM

Review by Vary Ferguson,,:

For Sinusitis: I have had sinus infection since February of this year. Been on antibiotics twice and nasal spray, none of which had helped, after the 2nd coarse of antibiotics I developed a raging flu, which kept me in bed. When it was not clearing, 10days later, returned to my doc and was given Claithromycin 7 day coarse. Have been told about the metallic taste, which I can cope with as long as it clears up this dreadful infection.

April 29, 2014 8:45 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis: I'm not allergic to penicillin, but was given Clarithromycin due to a very severe antibiotic-resistant bout of tonsillitis. I'd been suffering for weeks taking antibiotics that didn't work, but literally after the first tablet, I noticed a difference. Works VERY well. However, these are not particularly good tablets to take when you have swollen tonsils because they are huge tablets - I had to cut mine up and swallow them in 4 pieces. Also, I've noticed some side effects: I have diarrhoea (not too badly, but it makes life a bit more difficult), wind, and the taste in my mouth is constantly bitter. But overall, a very good medicine!

April 28, 2014 6:12 AM

Review by Melbah toasty:

For Sinusitis: Been taking Biaxin for my 4th day. I got a really bad cold which left me with a sinus infection. I'm allergic to many things, and I always have issues with my sinus. This has worked great for clearing it up and relieving the pressure, but like everyone else on here, I too, am experiencing the awful taste it leaves in my mouth. It also has wrecked havoc on my stomach. My mother is being treated for the same cold, and she was up all night, the first day on them, vomited a lot. You have to suffer something in order to get the best results. This works, and I'll deal with whatever side effects it dishes out, if it means I can breathe again!

April 28, 2014 1:54 AM

Review by happyredhead (taken for less than 1 month):

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: I have taken clarithromycin on two separate occasions for treatment of Helicobacter Pylori both times. One time was approximately 7 years ago and then again about 3 years ago. I am about to start another round along with amoxicillin and bismuth, which is Pepto Bismol. Clarithromycin leaves a horrible metallic taste in my mouth. I am not looking forward to taking it again. The only thing that seemed to relieve this momentarily was chocolate. I kept Hershey's kisses with me all the time. I would even have to get up in the middle of the night and eat one. The taste was so bad that I couldn't even go back to sleep. A nurse told me that she had heard this worked. After eradication, try Oregano oil, grapefruit seed extract, and tumeric daily.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 9, 2014 6:00 PM

Review by Gosse bluff:

For Otitis Media: I have had an outer ear infection that was well advanced by the time I started taking clarithromycin the pain I experienced up until I started taking the antibiotics was searing. My doctor gave me a course clarithromycin 250 mg to be taken for one week, two tablets twice a day (4 tablets a day) I took the first two tabs together in the morning of the first day and then separated the next two by the next morning the pain had reduced enough to the point that I didn't need to take pain relief medication. By lunch time I felt considerably better and now as I txt my review I would have to say that the pain has gone from extreme when I first started taking the medication to a mild sensation in my ear on day two. It has worked well and quick.

April 3, 2014 7:00 AM

Review by fitzle:

Biaxin (clarithromycin) for Bronchitis: I was full of itises: bronchitis, sinusitis and pharyngitis and felt miserable. Doc prescribed Biaxin and I started to be on the mend in a couple of days after starting treatment. On day 3 of taking it I felt good enough to exercise (not super intense, but enough to at least get the blood flowing and feel like a human being again.) Biaxin has been hard on my gut. It helps to eat a lot of food before taking it. If my stomach starts hurting or cramping, I eat more food and it helps relieve it. Unexpected side effect: Biaxin gave me energy and increased aggression/agitation. It did what it was supposed to do and knocked out my infection. All in all, worth it for me.

March 28, 2014 7:19 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis: I'm allergic to amoxicillin, penicillin, and erythromycin. This is pretty much the only antibiotic I can take. Works fast, works well. Only side effect is I get night sweats. It gets 10/10 because this is the only antibiotic that I can actually take without Bad Stuff (or death) happening.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 15, 2014 8:33 PM

Review by Catsch:

For Sinusitis: Took this medication four times for sinusitis and it works the best for me, I feel so much better within 24hrs, it's fast acting, the only side effect I experienced was a bad but tolerable metallic taste in my mouth.

February 24, 2014 8:53 PM

Review by charmdddd:

For Skin Infection: I found this medicine to be a mistake for me. I had severe inflammation of my upper eyelid, swollen, red, and very uncomfortable, so the Dr. prescribed this hoping it would solve the problem. First day I took it, within two to three hours, I was immediately running for the bathroom. It made me very ill regardless of what I ate, I took an antacid, probiotics, ate carefully, ate more than usual when I took it, drank only water, etc. It gave me the worst stomach cramps I have ever had, made me so nauseous I had to call out of work, and I stayed put on my bed writhing in pain.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 17, 2014 9:49 PM

Review by corsakay (taken for less than 1 month):

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: After the first set of antibiotics didn't work, I was given this type...3 days in, my cough has definitely improved but the metallic taste I constantly have is just horrible. Will continue with treatment just eating mints lots, but they don't really hide the taste.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 13, 2014 2:09 AM

Review by flip2 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bronchitis: I have been given this medicine every year for the past 3 years when I get bronchitis. Every year, I forget about the symptoms from previous years but I am done taking this medicine. After the 3rd or 4th day, I get really bad muscle aches and the Dr's don't do anything about it. I can't sleep and will come to the point that I can barely move because of all the pain I am in. I will start remembering this from now on so I don't experience it again.

February 11, 2014 2:42 PM

Review by JanMam:

For Sinusitis: I was prescribed clarithromycin for a sinus infection. I have been battling this for four weeks. And two prescriptions before this. I am on day three and feel only a little better. I have read it takes 4-5 days to feel better especially if you have had it awhile. The sinuses are hard to penetrate. I have had no stomach problems, I recommend probiotics. Nasty taste in my mouth...Gatorade helps a bit. I have also had fatigue and headache but I am unsure if this is due to the antibiotics or that my body has had it with medication. Hope this helps someone.

February 7, 2014 10:49 AM