User Reviews for Clarithromycin

Also known as: Biaxin, Biaxin XL

Learn more about Clarithromycin.

Pharyngitis 4 reviews 46 medications

Legionella Pneumonia 1 reviews 26 medications

Skin and Structure Infection 1 reviews 71 medications

Summary of Clarithromycin reviews 271 reviews 5.8

Reviews for Clarithromycin

For Bronchitis: "So far so good helping with my chest infection but I can't stand the constant bitter taste in my mouth. I have also been having problems sleeping and have had diarrhea, it's only day 2 so am now not sure if I should continue taking this medication."

Anonymous May 21, 2016

For Strep Throat: "I experienced stomach cramps, nausea, diahreah, and had a metallic taste in my mouth. On the third day my throat started to hurt again. It must be said that I've never experienced side effects from an antibiotic I've taken in the past ever..."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 19, 2016

For Skin and Structure Infection: "I was prescribed this medication at 500 MG for an ear infection. The side effects were worse than the ear ache. SEVERE diarrhea, headache, body chills and unfortunately my ear still aches. I will be calling my doctor tomorrow for something different. I only took 4 doses and had to stop. I also want to mention I had my gall bladder removed 10 years ago which left me needing to be extremely careful of what I eat- maybe that had something to do with it? I have to agree with most of the comments here- that taste from the meds is horrid. I woke up both nights from the taste! Avoid if possible. I'm allergic to penicillin so I think that's why we tried this."

Sickernow May 10, 2016

For Sinusitis: "i took this medicine for two days because i started to get a headache from it. now 2 months later i have the same headache from this. its a constant dull headache that is causing me to be unable to work or do my daily activities. it ruined my life forever."

gina3456789 (taken for less than 1 month) May 7, 2016

For Strep Throat: "I was prescribed this drug Clarithromycin (500mg twice a day) on a Wed morning for Strep throat. It is now Sat (in an hour it will be) and I feel like my strep has gotten worse. My tonsils are enormous and covered in white gunk (they weren't this bad on Wed), it's extremely difficult to swallow, and now it feels like it's plugging up my ears. I've had a 102 fever for 48-72 hours which finally broke friday so I'm not sure if that was from Strep or the medication but sleeping was near impossible with so much restlessness & sweating buckets. I feel like I need to sleep for a week but I'm unable to sleep well. I've also had a headache & teeth have been jittery (I don't know how else to describe that). I've had diarrhea on Fri too. Disappointed"

Nikirose May 7, 2016

For Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis: "I'm allergic to penicillin so was given clarithromycin as an alternative. I had severe suspected tonsillitis (despite having my tonsils removed 16 years ago) and had taken loads of medication like paracetemol and an antibiotic lozenge which did nothing; I felt better immediately after taken clarithromycin tablets but have been experiencing a number of strange and uncomfortable side effects. Firsty the horrible metallic taste in the mouth as everyone seems to get, also terrible flatulence as well as (more concerningly) vaginal discharge which turned into vaginal bleeding a couple days later (definitely not menstruation related). Also had dizziness, nausea, frequent hunger, and ringing ears. Annoying side effects but felt so much better !!"

Anonymous May 6, 2016

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: "It's too early to tell yet regarding the effectiveness of the eradication protocol, but the taste in my mouth, bloating, and overall chronic Nassau feel is horrible. I'm somewhat relived that I am not the only one experiencing these adverse reactions from the protocol. I do feel positive knowing that I'm getting rid of this horrible bacteria, because I've been so sick for almost 2 months. Thanks for the helpful tips on what to use to help with the taste that comes from taking the clarithromycin."

sickinidaho (taken for less than 1 month) May 4, 2016

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: "I completed a course of Clarithromyxin/Amoxicillin/Omeperazole last night, from day two of this seven day course, I have been getting this metallic taste in my mouth. Has anyone experienced the same and when will it go away?"

Cajjio May 2, 2016

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "Stupidest drug ever made stops you sleeping when your ill?? And gives you a constant headache why on earth would a doctor give this to a ill patients to stop them sleeping!!!"

Rizer (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2016

For Sinusitis: "Prescribed for recurrent sinus infection potentially caused by GERD. By day four bitter taste in mouth was round the clock. Yuck. Upsets stomach and wake up in the middle of the night wide awake. Also, a little slow with thinking. Not a fan."

Felicia2001 (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2016

For Bronchitis: "Have a chest infection that will not go away so was prescribed these as my first antibiotic had not cleared it up. Day 1 and I think I am dying! Palpitations, shaking, tired , dry mouth after only one 500mg dose. I am now in panic mode and have rung the surgery to see what I do next. Hope this feeling goes away."

perriwinkle April 21, 2016

For Sinusitis: "It has been 2 months since I was put on Biaxin (see my entry on March 3). I only got through 4 days of a 10 day course. I have had diarrhea for 2 months, have lost 20 lbs, have nausea off and on every day. I have had many work ups and stool samples, all negative. My ears have been ringing (tinnitus) since I went on Biaxin. All day and night. It has really taken a huge toll on my life. I wish the doctor had told me to take probiotics. I have esophageal candida from good bacteria being wiped out. My gastroenterologist has to wait until my GI heals a bit before a colonoscopy and a long course of anti fungals to tame the candida. And the sinus thing? Still present. Biaxin has really messed up my body, and my life."

Docony16 (taken for less than 1 month) April 19, 2016

Biaxin XL (clarithromycin) for Bronchitis: "I have gotten bronchitis a few times. I have tried many other antibiotics, and none worked, biaxin is the only antibiotic I can take that actually works, personally the only side effects I ever experienced is a mild metallic taste in mouth, but it is not much of a big deal"

i have gotten bronchitis a few April 19, 2016

For Otitis Media: "Have been taking for 2 and a half days now for treatment of severe ear infection. Seems to be helping the infection now, however side effects are unlike any antibiotics I've had before. First tablet caused almost instantaneous diarrhoea and nausea. Every time I take a tablet my stomach gurgles, however (thankfully) no more toilet issues. The worst effect is the taste, I was paranoid I had terrible breath, asked a friend and she said she couldn't smell anything, so after reading other comments I've deduced its just me dealing with it! But overall I feel....weird. I'll be glad when I have completed the course!"

VFR (taken for less than 1 month) April 18, 2016

Biaxin (clarithromycin) for Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis: "I was put on biaxin a couple days ago and though my tonsillitis has cleared up quite a bit I'm still noticeably sick, I get extreme headaches, dark urine, upset stomach, I've been able to get little to no sleep and I have no appetite. I can't walk without feeling like I have no centre of gravity, I constantly shake, and just today I started throwing up. It also leaves a bad metal taste is your mouth. I'm going to go see my doctor and try to get him to put me on another anti biotic cause this one has a lot of side affects, I was previously on biaxin xl and had no side affects with that."

Pl1 (taken for less than 1 month) April 16, 2016

For Sinusitis: "I was prescribed 500mg of Clarithromycin for a week for severe sinusitis and a very sore throat. I'd had the sore throat for a week and it was getting worse. It started to clear up after a couple of days of taking these. Haven't noticed much effect for the sinusitis but haven't had any side effects except for really weird and vivid dreams. I woke up rather upset this morning! So they worked for me (especially as I am horribly allergic to amoxycillin) but I'll be glad when the horrible dreams go back to normal!"

Cleversaz (taken for less than 1 month) April 14, 2016

For Pneumonia: "Been taking this for three days now for pertussis and pneumonia. Major changes are loosening of phlegm and improved breathing. Although metallic taste is awful, definitely worth it."

Tanco April 13, 2016

Biaxin (clarithromycin) for Strep Throat: "Started taking this medication 3 days ago for strep, didn't even know I could still get strep after getting my tonsils out 15 years ago. I've been sick for just over a month and wasn't getting any better. I take absolutely no medications but I just couldn't take being sick anymore. The fever, chills, aches, are gone. Throat is still scratching if I talk to much, sinuses are still completely plugged and runny nose is still present. My Dr prescribed Biaxin for 10 days so fingers crossed this continues to work!"

capegirl86 April 10, 2016

For Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis: "Started with a chest infection, was on amoxicillin for a week and half. Then got a uti and was put on alprim. Also had vaginal thrush and currently treating it with over the counter stuff. Went back to the doctors as bad cough and sore chest got put on clarithromycin. So night of day 1. Took 2 tablets in the am With lunch and took 2 after dinner. It's been 5 hours since I've woken up 3 times with a horrible metallic/druggy taste in my mouth. So so so bad. Even had some toast and juice and water to try and make it go away. But nothing even brushed my teeth again. Still taste bad. Any one have any suggestions. I'll buy a probiotic Tomorrow.I've been on many antibiotics in the past but nothing compares to this bad on taste in mouth."

Laurahh (taken for less than 1 month) April 9, 2016

Biaxin (clarithromycin) for Sinusitis: "I read a bunch of reviews from people who have mentioned having upset stomachs and yeast infections. I used to have those issues on antiobiotics, but then I learned that taking a very strong probiotic (I take the refrigerated ones from Jarro) and a feminine probiotic with lactobaccilus eliminates or at least greatly reduces those issues. I strongly recommend taking both whenever you take antiobiotics. For this one, I agree that you definitely need to take it with a reasonable amount of food. The metallic taste comes and goes but is generally tolerable. I do feel loopy, but I am guessing that has more to do with how sick I am than anything else. Hope this helps."

erky (taken for less than 1 month) April 6, 2016

Biaxin (clarithromycin) for Bronchitis: "I was prescribed Biaxin for bronchitis. I've taken three pills. I have an horrible taste in my mouth all the time along with severe dry mouth. My stomach is tossing and turning, making the loudest noises I've ever heard a stomach make! I haven't had problems with nausea/vomiting but the diarrhea from this is horrendous! On the second day of taking this I got this huge burst of energy and wanted to clean every inch of my house and rearrange each room! (sort of strange as I'm still coughing constantly and having a very hard time breathing) I'm also having trouble sleeping. I'm not sure that I will be taking anymore of these."

Amandafromtheblock April 6, 2016

For Bronchitis: "I was prescribed This for acute bronchitis. First day I took it I had a bad heavy headache one hour after, laid in bed played on my phone and kind of just fell asleep. It was fine, I was fine, little to no side effects. But vivid bad dream. I then take it before bed time 12 hours after first dose. Attempt to sleep, rolling back and forth, I cough and there's that taste that everyone talks about, no sleeping. Restless, light headed. So not worth it not taking my next doses after this, I want to get better but I'd like to not feel like this. Even though my cough is somewhat subsided, but I work 35-40 hours and it's not worth it."

Suezin April 5, 2016

For Pneumonia: "I have been on this for four days. Feeling much better. Light headed and tired with that awful taste in my mouth. I wish that they could make drugs with much less side effects"

mr bojangles April 2, 2016

For Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis: "Terrible throat for over a week - really ill, and believe me I've had plenty sore throats but none like this. Doc said thinks bacterial infection. Took tablet, within 24 hours started to make amazing rapid recovery! No side effects apart from vivid dreams every night but this might be a coincidence."

Mattyjohn April 2, 2016

For Strep Throat: "I am allergic to penicillin (break out in a rash) and amoxicillin (go into anaphylactic shock) so my doctor prescribed me this for a bad bout of tonsillitis. Within the first two pills (500mg twice a day) the swelling has gone down, and although the pain is still there I feel these pills are really working well for me. As for side effects I have had exactly zero. I take them with food and so far everything seems to be working well. It might be worth noting that during this bout of tonsillitis I have suffered severe insomnia, fever and hallucinations so even if the antibiotics did cause side effects I would not know! Brilliant drug."

GingerIKitsune (taken for less than 1 month) April 2, 2016