User Reviews for Clarithromycin

Also known as: Biaxin, Biaxin XL

Learn more about Clarithromycin.

Pharyngitis 4 reviews 43 medications

Follicular Lymphoma 1 reviews 3 medications

Legionella Pneumonia 1 reviews 24 medications

Summary of Clarithromycin reviews 216 reviews 6.4

Reviews for Clarithromycin

For Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis: "I was prescribed 14 tablets of clarithromycin for a painful tonsil infection/ tonsillitis. I'm on day 5 of takin the pills and my infection was cleared up on day 4. It was effective in destroying the bacterial agent but there are side effects. Bloating and gassyness, diarrhea, adrenaline rushes and insomnia. I've been hyperactive late on the night and barely slept the past 3 days."

Athlete24 February 5, 2016

For Bronchitis: "I was prescribed this medicine 4 days ago for a really bad case of bronchitis. I felt so weak and generally just awful. I was so glad that the doctor gave me some antibiotics to clear up the infection; he also gave me 2 inhalers to help open up my airways. I was so light headed and pale. On day three I had a glass of wine and thought I was going to die, I was very cold and lightheaded (don't drink alcohol). Apart from my stupidity I'm feeling a little better, still coughing when I lay down but better overall; but the side effects are just awful. Theres the taste, but I also feel kinda out of it, I can feel the drug in my blood stream. One minute I want to lay down and the next I'm hyperactive. 4 more days (1000mg daily :("

bettybeattie (taken for less than 1 month) January 31, 2016

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: "Was prescribed these for a chest infection, from a few hours after taking the tablet I had a really nasty taste that now day two into the course I still have its constantly there, even during the night I'm waking multiple times for a drink. I feel very fidgety and need to be doing something even though I feel really ill. But on the plus side my Chest doesn't hurt anymore."

Bekaamichelle January 28, 2016

For Sinusitis: "I was prescribed these for an ongoing sinus problem, I'm not convinced it is an infection as my mucus is clear and not bright yellow as it has been in the past when I've had infected sinuses. I've experienced horrible side effect, horrible taste in my mouth, nausea, fatigue, muscle ache and just generally feeling ill. I would stop taking it but if it is an infection it will probably make it worse so just going to buck up and finish the course. I would not recommend these antibiotics to anyone."

27 year old female 1234 January 25, 2016

For Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis: "Had tonsillitis for at least 4 months now, given amoxicillin didn't work then erythromycin which I took a reaction too, so doc put me on clarithromycin as a last resort antibiotic. On day 4 and the Pain has eased a bit but not significantly, tonsils are still really red and swollen and there is still white dots on them. Horrible horrible metallic taste in mouth that wakes me up feeling nauseous every hour or two so sleep is disrupted, diarrhoea and moderate stomach pains (nothing like the erythromycin), extremely itchy to the point I break the skin, but no signs of a rash, tongue is very sore and is really red white loads of red dots all over the top and sides."

Sickfedup January 24, 2016

For Bronchitis: "Thank Goodness I found this site as a person who avoids taking antibiotics I thought I was going mad. My doctor prescribed Clarithromycin after a ten day course of Amoxicillin failed to shift bad bronchitis. The vile bad taste in my mouth is with me most of the day and wakes me up at night it's so horrible! I have been alternating between insomnia with adrenaline rushes (just couldn't sleep whatever I did to try and relax) but then the next day, although felt exhausted I just couldn't sit still and cleaned the whole house! My eyes are dry and gritty but no tummy upsets. I usually have pro biotic drink each day though. I dream vividly all the time but had some awful scary nightmares with this anti biotic! Only three tablets left"

Wanttofeelwell (taken for less than 1 month) January 24, 2016

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: "Been given Clarithrimycin 500mg for chest infection. Been on meds 2 days. The after taste at the back of your mouth is extremely vile. I can taste it a few hours after taking it. It's that vile the taste wakes me up..I try to swish it away with water but it's still there. The last tablet I took was 10 hours ago the taste my mouth is still dreadful. Not sure whether this medication is helping as still coughing like a trooper. I was less anxious when I read on this thread that it wasn't me going crazy and others suffered from heart palpitations, shortness of breath, tight chest and anxiety (I can't break thoughts). Its a dreadful feeling, have to finish the course but will never be taking this med again- 5 more days to go :-/"

Joan chance, U.K. January 20, 2016

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: "Started taking amoxycillon, omeprazole, and clarithromycin to treat H. Pylori. Worst side effects I have ever experienced. By day 4, I had severe diarrhea (looked like coffee grounds), nausea, dizziness, couldn't sleep, would have waves of burning through my chest and into my head. I went to the ER because my breathing was labored and I had such severe diarrhea. I also developed something oral thrush so my tongue felt so raw. My doctor finally told me to stop taking it. The side effects were extremely miserable and torturous."

H pylori (taken for less than 1 month) January 19, 2016

For Otitis Media: "I've literally just woke up to a nasty taste in my mouth, & my heart racing! I've also got an occasional stabbing pain in my boob/nipple. I feel disoriented & panicky. I didn't know why I was feeling this way, until I googled, 'Nasty taste in my mouth from Anti-biotics?' & this came up. I will immediately stop taking this medication prescribed by doctor! I'd rather suffer with the ear infection than this!"

Shulty (taken for less than 1 month) January 18, 2016

For Dental Abscess: "This medicine has made me so sick I should just live in the bathroom"

Horrible (taken for less than 1 month) January 16, 2016

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: "So far I have only taken this for 3 days, it gives a foul taste in the mouth ( that comes through the body system and definitely not just from the tablet in the mouth) the horrible taste is there most of the time but worse for the few hours after you take the tablet, it did wake me up last night but I went back to sleep. I don't want to take them again. I want to have a natural alternative next time, it does feel like a toxic drug, very unpleasant but sorry for those with the other dreadful side effects."

coughingjojo January 15, 2016

For Pneumonia: "I was prescribed this medicine after suffering with pneumonia! I needed a strong antibiotic to keep me out of the hospital for an extended length of time, ON TOP of the penicillin shot. At the same time I have an albuterol inhaler, tessalon pearls and zofran. With all that going on I'm not experiencing any anxiety but I can literally stay awake for the entire 7 days I'm on it! Never tired and if my lungs would allow, these 7 days I could probably repaint my house, keep it entirely clean 24/7, re tile my kitchen and probably build an ark! Pretty annoying that I can't sleep and as far as the taste, I'm scrubbing my jaws 4 times a day with toothpaste and baking soda, no luck! Also, give up eating AT ALL! Which I can stand to lose a lb or 2"

AJ_720 January 7, 2016

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: "This drug is very effective, chest infection appears to have cleared after 2 500mg tablets. However, side effects are so debilitating, I'd rather be ill! Aside from the bitter taste, I'm suffering extreme vertigo and cannot keep any food down at all. I'm going to half the dosage and phone the Dr tomorrow to change to another antibiotic."

Kate17 January 5, 2016

For Legionella Pneumonia: "Worst antibiotic I have ever had in my life, was prescribed this along with prednisone. Since day one my heart has been pounding out my chest then going slow , I have had tightness in it, my mouth tastes vile, I am on day 5 and have been trying to get asleep for 4 hours and I can't because of the palpitations in my heart, the antibiotics have taken the pains out of my chest which is what I was prescribed them for, but now the side effects are worst than the pains in my chest, never ever again!!!"

123321123321 January 3, 2016

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: "I was found positive for h pylori bacteria and doctor suggested me for clarithromycin, I must admit it was horrible experience of my life .Indigestion, fatigue, metallic test, loss of memory, itching, are some of the common side effects I have experienced. Although it is useful in killing bacteria. This is my 7th day of medication. I will update it more about experience after few days."

yankie12 January 1, 2016

For Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis: "I have been taking this drug for 1 day now for reoccurring tonsillitis/ pharyngitis/ cough and associated lower respiratory problems such as trouble breathing because of phlegm and what not. I am suffering very bad side affects from this drug, however It is very effective. I am suffering extreme nausea almost straight away from taking it (I'm on it twice a day for a week.) , increased heart rate (120 at resting) palpations, very bad shakes, extreme fatigue, however no muscle pain like other symptoms and will see if I get the nightmares like everyone else also. Very hard on the system but if it gets rid of this infection I will be delighted, will consider coming off the drug if side effects worsen like they are known to."

Anonymous December 27, 2015

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: "I was on Clarithromycin and Amoxillin ( proton pump inhibitor omeprazole) for a week (h.pylori). First four days felt like hell, then my body slightly adjusted to the poison and it was easier, also I found that I can relieve the horrible bitter sewage like taste in my mouth with a chewing gum. Once I took two Amoxillin 1000mg tablets instead of Amox. Clarithromycin, there were zero effects, while with clarithromycin added comes the horrible taste in mouth, dizziness and general ill feeling. I was dying few hours after taking my final dose of those antibiotics, had to call an ambulance, felt like my heart was stopping, they pumped me with something and I survived, one star above 1 because I can still write this review 2 days after last dose"

Valters. (taken for less than 1 month) December 27, 2015

For Bronchitis: "After an 8 week cold, 3 weeks a of bad cough and generally feeling under the weather and out of breath even on the gentlest of slopes, I went to the doctor who diagnosed bronchitis. I was put on a 5 day course of Clarithromycin 500 mg pills and a 10 day burst of Prednisalone starting at 30 mg. Even after one antibiotic I felt relief. I had no side effects whatsoever. I maybe should mention I have an autoimminune disease, PMR, and take a very low dose of steroids and also Omezrapol (a gastric resistant capsule prescribed for people taking steroids). I live in Scotland where all prescriptions are free."

EALFife December 26, 2015

For Pneumonia: "I was finally given Biaxin 500 mg bid after 3 rounds of other antibiotics for pneumonia. I have rheumatoid arthritis and take Xeljanz and methotrexate that lower my immune system. ER doctor gave me 10 days of Biaxin and I was feeling better on day 9, but still not over it yet so I called my regular doctor and he prescribed 7 more days. I have 4 days left and I am feeling so much better. No side effects."

JRR4680 (taken for less than 1 month) December 22, 2015

For Strep Throat: "Worst medication ever. Was prescribed for strep throat...the swollen tonsils and pain in my throat has subsided, however, the first dose made me so weak I almost passed out....now it's day 3 and I have severe abdominal cramps, diarrhea every 10 to 20 minutes for the past 6 hours, gas all day long; and I feel faint here and there. I called my doctor and he switched me to a zpak starting tomorrow morning. I can't wait til this is over."

kmea2006 December 19, 2015

Biaxin (clarithromycin) for Strep Throat: "After taking one 500 mg. clarithromycin in about three hours became dizzy, uncomfortable in the head and short of breath. Am afraid to take another although it was prescribed one every 12 hours. Have spent most of the day with head reclined and eyes closed. Had same reaction to 500 mg.. of Azithromycin but could take 250 mg. with no problem. Shall I ask the doctor to prescribe a smaller dose. Am very fearful of another like this."

Mary Maxine December 17, 2015

For Sinusitis: "I was actually given this for a bad Ear infection which I think now has gone. But I feel anxiety, can not sleep, my eyes are blurry, It made the noise in my ears worse and my mussels felt strange jelly like. As much as it is good to feel no pain the feeling that you could put a knife through you and you would not feel it makes you feel crazy. My stomach is in pain from time to time and running to the loo. My throat feel like I need to constantly clear it gritty in the back. My mouth is so dry and a metal taste. Thank Goodness I have one more day of this drug that is driving me crazy."

Bird Man (taken for less than 1 month) December 17, 2015

For Sinusitis: "I've suffered from chronic sinusitis and post nasal drip for a while now. Biaxin is the only drug which worked for me, my PND started decreasing after one day and my nasal passages were completely clear by day 4. As for side effects it increased my appetite and sent me to the bathroom more often than usual. As for the nausea and metallic taste in mouth that most people reported, that only occurred on my last day of treatment thankfully. It's a small price to pay for the relief I got however."

Amz_P December 12, 2015

For Sinusitis: "I was taking clarithromcyin for sinusitis and it worked but I got severe back pain with the medication and a very nasty taste in my mouth. My stomach hurt so then I started taking it with food and the pain never came back"

Jen10496 December 11, 2015

For Bronchitis: "I was prescribed clarithromycin and Prednisone for my sinus infection and bronchitis. I was told by my pharmacist to take the clarithromycin with food. Then she told me to eat something like Activa yogurt about 2 hours after taking the clarithromycin because clarithromycin will tend to kill the good bacteria in your stomach which is what brings on the diarrhea many complain of. The activa then helps rebuild the good bacteria in your stomach. On my third day and feeling a little better, and never any diarrhea. I attribute the good experience to good pharmacist suggestions.I make sure to eat food and the Activa yogurt 2 hours later, and no side effects yet and I am feeling on the mend,"

Sinus issue then bronchitus December 2, 2015