User Reviews for Clarithromycin

Also known as: Biaxin, Biaxin XL

Learn more about Clarithromycin.

Pharyngitis 3 reviews 44 medications

6.1
Sinusitis 44 reviews 251 medications

5.7
Follicular Lymphoma 1 reviews 3 medications

Bacterial Endocarditis Prevention 0 reviews 55 medications Not rated - Be the first
Legionella Pneumonia 0 reviews 26 medications Not rated - Be the first
Mycobacterium avium-...are, Prophylaxis 0 reviews 7 medications Not rated - Be the first
Mycobacterium avium-...ulare, Treatment 0 reviews 12 medications Not rated - Be the first
Nongonococcal Urethritis 0 reviews 46 medications Not rated - Be the first
Pertussis 0 reviews 21 medications Not rated - Be the first
Pertussis Prophylaxis 0 reviews 16 medications Not rated - Be the first
Skin and Structure Infection 0 reviews 65 medications Not rated - Be the first
Toxoplasmosis 0 reviews 34 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Clarithromycin reviews 137 reviews 6.4

Reviews for Clarithromycin

Review by Jane.k (taken for less than 1 month):

For Pharyngitis: Within 24 hours of taking these tablets all the pain had gone away and I felt much better. Gave me an upset tummy but more than worth it. Avoid taking on an empty stomach, I felt sick for a short while after taking them on day 1 when I didnt feel well enough to eat

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 24, 2015 5:57 PM

Review by Apollo123 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Sinusitis: The first 3 days of taking this I was having hot flashes and felt nauseous from the taste of the pills. So I ate a lot of throat lozenges to try and get rid of the taste. I would wake up in the middle of the night because I could taste it still. I have one more day left to take the medicine. Sinus is gone which is fantastic. Doctor told me to take probiotics everyday or I could get a yeast infection. I took probiotics everyday and towards the end of taking these pills I had a little painful urinating and now I think I have a yeast infection.

April 20, 2015 10:15 AM

Review by Wheels22 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: Was prescribed a weeks course to clear a skin abscess, have a penicillin allergy, and worked well, but side effects very noticeable - metallic taste in my mouth from day 2 and very painful stiff neck making it difficult to move my head while sleeping or turn my head while awake and up and about. Also had vivid disturbing dreams. No stomach upsets though...

April 15, 2015 11:12 AM

Review by Krista1234:

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: Worked well but left a ridiculously bad taste in my mouth, especially over night and morning. Blah!!! Bit of an upset stomach

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 12, 2015 7:25 AM

Review by steph383882822:

For Sinusitis: The day after I was completely not congested anymore. The headache was still present though. It took three days for that to go away but I was still able to go to work and school by the second day. The only downside was I experienced extreme dizziness within the first few days and it left a terrible bitter taste in my mouth all day.

March 25, 2015 8:04 AM

Review by chezzagaga:

For Sinusitis: I noticed they made my sinus unblock pretty quick but I had to go doctor and change them to amoxycillin. With clarithromycin I had heart palpitations, sweats and horrific nightmares along with tension headache. Was horrible I thought I was gonna pass out.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 19, 2015 6:52 AM

Review by Momma D (taken for less than 1 month):

For Pneumonia: I'm on day 6 of Biaxin for pnemonia. I take probiotics and have had no issues with this med until a few hours ago. I was awoken with a horrible overwhelmingly bitter taste in my mouth. Yuck! 4 more days of this med...hope this taste goes soon.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 19, 2015 4:55 AM

Review by Lala1234:

For Strep Throat: I took this for my severe strep throat. I was initially given amoxicillin which didn't work at all the doctor switched me to this. After 1 day I already improved and my fevers and chills subsided and I was able to swallow without extreme pain. The downside: the stomach pain and nausea and the metallic taste in my mouth.

March 3, 2015 6:57 PM

Review by Verbal (taken for less than 1 month):

For Strep Throat: Only three pills &: continuous bitterness in my mouth... Never ending headache... Tremors... Dizziness...

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 21, 2015 12:05 PM

Review by London Johnboy:

For Bronchitis: This seems to be dealing with the bronchitis after 2 days so I feel better with only a residual phlegmy cough. The side effects have been constipation at first, then very loose mucus laden stools. Much stomach gurgling and vicious wind. Bitter, metallic taste in my mouth, especially night mornings. Dreadful nightmares since taking this medication.

February 16, 2015 8:03 AM

Review by Errrrrrrr:

For Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis: Just got my tonsils out and was allergic to the first antibiotic they gave me. If getting this, try the tablet form as the liquid form has a sandy texture and tastes gross! Very hard to get down!

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 29, 2015 5:08 PM

Review by Sick Chik (taken for less than 1 month):

Biaxin (clarithromycin) for Pharyngitis: Within two hours of taking the first pill, I could feel the congestion start breaking up. Feeling much better after two days' treatment & no side effects.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 27, 2015 10:36 AM

Review by Ronda1967:

For Sinusitis: 2nd time I've taken (I had leftovers because I couldn't stand the stomach pain). It works fast, but my gosh the taste in my mouth is horrible horrible. Hopefully I won't get stomach pain again!

January 24, 2015 2:42 AM

Review by rocket5 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: Terrible taste in my mouth from this medication! It also dries you out! One of my chief complaints before being prescribed this med was a bad taste in my mouth. It was found to be from H Plylori. I do feel better in the stomach due to this medication but the horrible taste is way nasty!

January 17, 2015 2:00 PM

Review by F77ms (taken for less than 1 month):

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: Worked well as an anti biotic however the side effects were very distressing . Nausea . heart palpitations . Severe anxiety and feelings of impending doom . Un steadiness . The worse S/e s were the awful feelings of fear which were out of proportion . I felt as if I was about to faint because of the anxiety . I felt very upset and tearful about half an hour after taking them and the mental symptoms just escalated for a few hours . I will report these side effects to the GP and hopefully there is an alternative if I ever need A/b s again for a severe chest infection .

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 12, 2015 3:22 PM

Review by Bad Taste Worth it for Results (taken for less than 1 month):

For Pneumonia: I was sick for a year, A YEAR, coughing up sticky yellow mucus relentlessly. I was put on 4 allergy medications, acid reflux medicine, and put through voice therapy (it was making me gag) and multiple other specialist visits. They thought I had asthma. Nope. After multiple antibiotic tries, my ENT put me on this one and it cleared within two weeks. No more problems. Yes, it tastes like I ate a pile of crap, but worth it. So worth it.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 1, 2015 7:23 PM

Review by Monique87:

For Bronchitis: A & E diagnosed with bronchitis, tonsillitis, and sinusitis, had low oxygen and high heart rate so given these tablets as they cover all 3 infections, very strong tablets. First tablet I took on practically empty stomach, big mistake, started feeling sick then started panicking which make my breathing bad, my husband was about to take me back to A&ee but I managed to calm down and have some soup. 2nd tablet I took with food and was getting heart palpitations for 30 minutes. Went to bed woke up took another tab and feeling a bit better already, temperature gone, sore throat gone, just sinus pain still and cough with phlegm. Slight stomach pain but I get stomach pain all the time so unsure if related. Funny taste some time in my mouth. Fast acting.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 27, 2014 9:17 AM

Review by DrSaraE (taken for less than 1 month):

For Sinusitis: Third day on Clarithromycin, it has worked so far clearing up my chronic sinusitis, my voice is back and my sense of smell is back the only thing bad about it is the bitter taste in my mouth and lips. I don't know what to eat to change it. I make sure that I take my 2 500 tablets right after supper, I haven't had trouble with my stomach.

December 12, 2014 7:53 PM

Review by Littlelil (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bronchitis: Only started taking this medicine today. It's very big and hard to swallow. After about 20 minutes of taking the first one, I was asleep. Makes me feel very drowsy and rather weak, but it doesn't hurt to breathe as much and the tightness in my chest has significantly improved. Before I took it, I had some yoghurt as someone has previously suggested here and have no metallic taste in my mouth, no runs or vomiting.

December 10, 2014 4:20 PM

Review by Littleone89:

For Pneumonia: I have been on this pill for 5 days now! It seems to work through the day but at night my chest still feels very sore, the pneumonia still hasn't seemed to fade. However, I am able to do more during the day without being in pain. Must be working! I too, had an awful metallic taste in my mouth all day after this pill. It made me sick to my stomach, to stop this I actually started taking my pill with Apple sauce. Just ate a few spoon fulls, then put the pill on the spoon in Apple sauce, and swallow. It leaves a tiny taste, however, it does not last and doesn't make me sick. I suggest trying something like this , not just water.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 9, 2014 9:57 PM

For Bronchitis: I recently started on Biaxin. My doctor prescribed it for my bronchitis and sinus infection. The antibiotic works great, after about a day of taking it I felt a million times better. It's a really strong antibiotic though which has caused some awful side effects including bad taste in mouth, nervousness and upset stomach /nausea . If you have to take this I suggest eating before taking it and carrying around mints for the taste in mouth. Good luck!

November 18, 2014 9:10 AM

Review by male-mex-patient-40yrs (taken for less than 1 month):

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: I was having sore throat, swollen tonsils, dry cough, and mucus. After 3 days with 500mg every 12hours of Claritromycin, my throat got better, productive cough and feeling better in general with more energy. Side effects bad mouth taste (bitter) specially at nights at the bed.

October 8, 2014 1:15 PM

Review by yva:

For Sinusitis: I too woke up in the middle of my sleep because of the bad taste in my mouth. I thought I needed to eat but whatever I eat, it doesn't go. So I googled about it and found this site. I ate a salty meal, candies, chocolate, carrot and nothing works. I've only had two tablets so far.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 5, 2014 11:40 AM

Review by Leemsu (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bronchitis: It is efficient for bronchitis and does the work better than any other anti-biotic, it is fast, but it made me sleepy, weak, dizzy, drowsy, vomitish because of the metallic taste and you get some bloating and diarrhea sometimes. You also get very weak from it that you want just to lie down, perhaps it's from the big fight between the medicine and the virus/bacteria!! I want just to mention that tea with mint helped with the bad taste, 2 tablets of Panadol/Tylenol daily for the drowsiness, and vitamin C daily to get some energy.

August 28, 2014 7:54 AM

Review by Madds:

For Otitis Media: I'm in the third day of taking Clarithromycin 500mg (1 pill 2x/day) for a double ear infection. I've been experiencing on and off pain, fluid drainage, poor hearing and just plain annoying sensations in my ears. I had a lymph node the size of a golf ball in my neck & neck pain. Now, lymph node shrunk, no more fluid or pain or annoying feelings. I can't sleep at night, though. No stomach problems or pain, but instead, I'm starving. It seems to have sped up my metabolism and though I'm eating more than I ever have before I'm actually losing weight for the first time in years. I'm a normal, healthy woman, 5ft 5in and 130lbs. Did someone switch my medicines with a miracle pill??

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate