User Reviews for Clarithromycin

Also known as: Biaxin, Biaxin XL

Learn more about Clarithromycin.

Pharyngitis 4 reviews 46 medications

Follicular Lymphoma 1 reviews 4 medications

Legionella Pneumonia 1 reviews 26 medications

Summary of Clarithromycin reviews 263 reviews 6.2

Reviews for Clarithromycin

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "Stupidest drug ever made stops you sleeping when your ill?? And gives you a constant headache why on earth would a doctor give this to a ill patients to stop them sleeping!!!"

Rizer (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2016

For Sinusitis: "Prescribed for recurrent sinus infection potentially caused by GERD. By day four bitter taste in mouth was round the clock. Yuck. Upsets stomach and wake up in the middle of the night wide awake. Also, a little slow with thinking. Not a fan."

Felicia2001 (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2016

For Bronchitis: "Have a chest infection that will not go away so was prescribed these as my first antibiotic had not cleared it up. Day 1 and I think I am dying! Palpitations, shaking, tired , dry mouth after only one 500mg dose. I am now in panic mode and have rung the surgery to see what I do next. Hope this feeling goes away."

perriwinkle April 21, 2016

For Sinusitis: "It has been 2 months since I was put on Biaxin (see my entry on March 3). I only got through 4 days of a 10 day course. I have had diarrhea for 2 months, have lost 20 lbs, have nausea off and on every day. I have had many work ups and stool samples, all negative. My ears have been ringing (tinnitus) since I went on Biaxin. All day and night. It has really taken a huge toll on my life. I wish the doctor had told me to take probiotics. I have esophageal candida from good bacteria being wiped out. My gastroenterologist has to wait until my GI heals a bit before a colonoscopy and a long course of anti fungals to tame the candida. And the sinus thing? Still present. Biaxin has really messed up my body, and my life."

Docony16 (taken for less than 1 month) April 19, 2016

Biaxin XL (clarithromycin) for Bronchitis: "I have gotten bronchitis a few times. I have tried many other antibiotics, and none worked, biaxin is the only antibiotic I can take that actually works, personally the only side effects I ever experienced is a mild metallic taste in mouth, but it is not much of a big deal"

i have gotten bronchitis a few April 19, 2016

For Otitis Media: "Have been taking for 2 and a half days now for treatment of severe ear infection. Seems to be helping the infection now, however side effects are unlike any antibiotics I've had before. First tablet caused almost instantaneous diarrhoea and nausea. Every time I take a tablet my stomach gurgles, however (thankfully) no more toilet issues. The worst effect is the taste, I was paranoid I had terrible breath, asked a friend and she said she couldn't smell anything, so after reading other comments I've deduced its just me dealing with it! But overall I feel....weird. I'll be glad when I have completed the course!"

VFR (taken for less than 1 month) April 18, 2016

Biaxin (clarithromycin) for Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis: "I was put on biaxin a couple days ago and though my tonsillitis has cleared up quite a bit I'm still noticeably sick, I get extreme headaches, dark urine, upset stomach, I've been able to get little to no sleep and I have no appetite. I can't walk without feeling like I have no centre of gravity, I constantly shake, and just today I started throwing up. It also leaves a bad metal taste is your mouth. I'm going to go see my doctor and try to get him to put me on another anti biotic cause this one has a lot of side affects, I was previously on biaxin xl and had no side affects with that."

Pl1 (taken for less than 1 month) April 16, 2016

For Sinusitis: "I was prescribed 500mg of Clarithromycin for a week for severe sinusitis and a very sore throat. I'd had the sore throat for a week and it was getting worse. It started to clear up after a couple of days of taking these. Haven't noticed much effect for the sinusitis but haven't had any side effects except for really weird and vivid dreams. I woke up rather upset this morning! So they worked for me (especially as I am horribly allergic to amoxycillin) but I'll be glad when the horrible dreams go back to normal!"

Cleversaz (taken for less than 1 month) April 14, 2016

For Pneumonia: "Been taking this for three days now for pertussis and pneumonia. Major changes are loosening of phlegm and improved breathing. Although metallic taste is awful, definitely worth it."

Tanco April 13, 2016

Biaxin (clarithromycin) for Strep Throat: "Started taking this medication 3 days ago for strep, didn't even know I could still get strep after getting my tonsils out 15 years ago. I've been sick for just over a month and wasn't getting any better. I take absolutely no medications but I just couldn't take being sick anymore. The fever, chills, aches, are gone. Throat is still scratching if I talk to much, sinuses are still completely plugged and runny nose is still present. My Dr prescribed Biaxin for 10 days so fingers crossed this continues to work!"

capegirl86 April 10, 2016

For Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis: "Started with a chest infection, was on amoxicillin for a week and half. Then got a uti and was put on alprim. Also had vaginal thrush and currently treating it with over the counter stuff. Went back to the doctors as bad cough and sore chest got put on clarithromycin. So night of day 1. Took 2 tablets in the am With lunch and took 2 after dinner. It's been 5 hours since I've woken up 3 times with a horrible metallic/druggy taste in my mouth. So so so bad. Even had some toast and juice and water to try and make it go away. But nothing even brushed my teeth again. Still taste bad. Any one have any suggestions. I'll buy a probiotic Tomorrow.I've been on many antibiotics in the past but nothing compares to this bad on taste in mouth."

Laurahh (taken for less than 1 month) April 9, 2016

Biaxin (clarithromycin) for Sinusitis: "I read a bunch of reviews from people who have mentioned having upset stomachs and yeast infections. I used to have those issues on antiobiotics, but then I learned that taking a very strong probiotic (I take the refrigerated ones from Jarro) and a feminine probiotic with lactobaccilus eliminates or at least greatly reduces those issues. I strongly recommend taking both whenever you take antiobiotics. For this one, I agree that you definitely need to take it with a reasonable amount of food. The metallic taste comes and goes but is generally tolerable. I do feel loopy, but I am guessing that has more to do with how sick I am than anything else. Hope this helps."

erky (taken for less than 1 month) April 6, 2016

Biaxin (clarithromycin) for Bronchitis: "I was prescribed Biaxin for bronchitis. I've taken three pills. I have an horrible taste in my mouth all the time along with severe dry mouth. My stomach is tossing and turning, making the loudest noises I've ever heard a stomach make! I haven't had problems with nausea/vomiting but the diarrhea from this is horrendous! On the second day of taking this I got this huge burst of energy and wanted to clean every inch of my house and rearrange each room! (sort of strange as I'm still coughing constantly and having a very hard time breathing) I'm also having trouble sleeping. I'm not sure that I will be taking anymore of these."

Amandafromtheblock April 6, 2016

For Bronchitis: "I was prescribed This for acute bronchitis. First day I took it I had a bad heavy headache one hour after, laid in bed played on my phone and kind of just fell asleep. It was fine, I was fine, little to no side effects. But vivid bad dream. I then take it before bed time 12 hours after first dose. Attempt to sleep, rolling back and forth, I cough and there's that taste that everyone talks about, no sleeping. Restless, light headed. So not worth it not taking my next doses after this, I want to get better but I'd like to not feel like this. Even though my cough is somewhat subsided, but I work 35-40 hours and it's not worth it."

Suezin April 5, 2016

For Pneumonia: "I have been on this for four days. Feeling much better. Light headed and tired with that awful taste in my mouth. I wish that they could make drugs with much less side effects"

mr bojangles April 2, 2016

For Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis: "Terrible throat for over a week - really ill, and believe me I've had plenty sore throats but none like this. Doc said thinks bacterial infection. Took tablet, within 24 hours started to make amazing rapid recovery! No side effects apart from vivid dreams every night but this might be a coincidence."

Mattyjohn April 2, 2016

For Strep Throat: "I am allergic to penicillin (break out in a rash) and amoxicillin (go into anaphylactic shock) so my doctor prescribed me this for a bad bout of tonsillitis. Within the first two pills (500mg twice a day) the swelling has gone down, and although the pain is still there I feel these pills are really working well for me. As for side effects I have had exactly zero. I take them with food and so far everything seems to be working well. It might be worth noting that during this bout of tonsillitis I have suffered severe insomnia, fever and hallucinations so even if the antibiotics did cause side effects I would not know! Brilliant drug."

GingerIKitsune (taken for less than 1 month) April 2, 2016

For Sinusitis: "After four years of chronic sinusitis with total loss of smell unless taking prednisone I was given clarithromycin. An initial 7 day course didn't quite cut it but after a further 3 days I can now smell and breathe for the first time in years!! Yes it does have some not pleasant side effects worst being nausea and leaving a horrible taste in your mouth but these are worth putting up with for the the quality of life I have now got back.. Food is once again worth eating. Let's just hope it stays this way."

ZeEag (taken for less than 1 month) March 29, 2016

Biaxin (clarithromycin) for Otitis Media: "I was put on Biaxin because of an inner ear infection. I'm on my fourth day of taking this medication. Sure there were some side effects but it worked. I couldn't hear out of my left ear for almost 3 weeks and on day four of taking this med I'm seeing results. The results outweigh the side effects that's for sure. I didn't think anything would work so I'm very pleased that Biaxin did!"

Harley1225 March 24, 2016

For Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis: "I am on these tablets now my throat has nearly cleared up and it's the only anti biotic I can take I had shits for the first 2 days and keep getting the awful taste and out of breath but they work"

Amanda1223366 March 23, 2016

For Bronchitis: "I have a bronchitis and the doctor prescribe me clarithromycin and im only at the second day of taking it bad nausea extreme bad taste in mouth severe gaz stomache discomfort and always need to pee im stopping this antibiotic right now and tomorow im gonna ask my doctor to change it the only thing i did find useful for the bad taste and it reduce it a bit is to chew excel gum but it dont last long hope next one is not gonna be that worst"

Katlove4 (taken for less than 1 month) March 19, 2016

For Sinusitis: "This is not the first time I have been on this medicine for recurrent sinus infections, I don't like it but it always seems to work. I am taking 2 500mg once per day. The disgusting taste in my mouth generally starts around day 2, and headaches around day 3. I can't sleep when I am taking it, but so far no other issues, I will be glad to stop taking it, 4 more days to go."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 17, 2016

For Pneumonia: "The only unpleasant side effects were a gurgling "hungry" feeling stomach and a bitter taste in my mouth. Tablets started working properly after about two days."

JoeR597 March 17, 2016

For Sinusitis: "Honestly, it gave the worst side effects i've ever experienced. I have Crohn's Disease and have been on a bunch of different types of medications, so that's saying something. The 1st dose wasn't too bad, horrible metalic taste in my mouth but that was about it. I noticed my sinuses to be less congested and i could finally sleep at night without my nose getting completed clogged. But after the second dose i had horrible stomach cramps (even though i took it with food) , the nausea was veryyyy uncomfortable and the taste in my mouth was so strong i could barely swallow my own saliva without wanting to hurl. NOTHING would get rid of the taste either. I've stopped taking it, never again! NEVER AGAIN!"

WorstSideEffectsEver (taken for less than 1 month) March 15, 2016

For Strep Throat: "Still had a fever and active culture after three days of use. I'm a microbiologist and after doing susciptibilty testing on this drug, streptococcus was, in fact, resistant to it."

JessK (taken for less than 1 month) March 15, 2016