User Reviews for Celexa

7.5
Summary of Celexa reviews 392 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Celexa

Review by TLD1976:

For Anxiety and Stress: I have been taking Celexa about a month and a half for anxiety. I didn't go to the doctor, on the given day, to get anything but an antibiotic for being sick. I walked out of the doctor's office that day with Celexa also. I was VERY fearful of taking a type of drug like this, but I was also tired of being very anxious - always have been. I was easy to irritate. I couldn't handle stress well and couldn't seem to focus at the task at hand when I was stressed. Celexa has taken away these feelings. I feel 'normal' now, so to speak and can handle everything better. I can also orgasm, no problems (am married) ;-) and I have NOT gained any weight! I can cry also and have normal emotional responses. Celexa has been great!

141 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 3, 2012 8:11 AM

For Anxiety and Stress: I've always been a worrier, since I was a child. I assumed it was normal because it was all I'd ever known. After a bad break up and alot of professional stress I decided to see my doctor for a "crutch" to get me through the worst of it and was fully intending for the medication to be a short term situation. I've always been against taking medication for my stress. However, in the two months I've been on Celexa I've decided I'd be more than happy to stay on it forever, as long as it keeps working. The obsessive worrying is just gone, poof! I can worry about something for a few minutes and then move on with my life. I'm happy and vibrant and I feel completely normal now. I had side effects - Yawning, sleeplessness only for the first 2 weeks

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 31, 2012 11:38 AM

For Depression: I've been on Celexa 20mg for 15 years now and I love it. I started with Paxil and then try Zoloft and Wellbutrin. The last three medication made me feel like a zombie. But Celexa is different. Celexa made me feel like myself again, no side effect. I had a big depression (due to baby blues and multiple surgeries and lots of pain for long periods of time). Celexa SAVED MY LIFE. I've been on 20mg for all this time and didn't have to increase the dosage. If I try to stop, I become suicidal again (with no reasons at all) so I will keep taking this wonderful life saving medicine forever. Thank you for saving me. You cannot "control" depression with your "will". Depression is a sickness, like diabetes or heart problems, and Celexa is the best.

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 27, 2012 8:04 PM

For Anxiety and Stress: I was on this for 1 week and it helped within that time, though I was switched off it due to my side effects which included a loss of 13 lbs in 6 days, awful headaches, and insomnia. If you don't get those side effects, it is well worth persisting on.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 25, 2012 4:44 AM

For Depression: Citalopram has literally given me my life back. I have suffered, largely untreated, with mild-moderate depression for most of my adult life (and likely as a teen). About 10 yrs ago, I had taken Zoloft, but hated the way I felt on it. Since then, I had sworn off anti-depressants. The past few years have been stress-filled and in the past year or so, I have been on a downward spiral. I was holding it together well enough at work, but would crash when I got home. I wasn't being the mother or wife I wanted to be (and knew I could be), and was likely headed for a divorce. I was diagnosed with PMDD (though I think it is more general depression as well) and started on 20 mg of citalopram. I am me again! (side effects=dry mouth, sweating, high sex drive).

January 24, 2012 9:51 AM

For Depression: I was diagnosed with obsessive compulsive disorder and major depressive disorder about 9 months ago. I tried to go without medication but constantly just felt out of control. I had no motivation or interest in anything. I decided somewhat hesitantly to go on Celexa. Looking back 5 months later I can't believe how much my life has improved. I feel like myself again. There was never even a hint of cloudiness or that "drugged up" feeling. I just feel like me! The only side effect I really noticed was excessive yawning for the first two weeks or so and a little bit of lethargy when I switched from 20 to 40 mg. Other than that I have nothing but positive things to say!

January 23, 2012 9:01 PM

Review by Mattnofeelgood:

For Anxiety and Stress: First day taking it, at 8 pm , the medication peaks at 4 hours, so at midnight I looked in the mirror and my pupils were dilated I felt very jittery, I was unable to sleep, I felt a strange sensation creep up my body and to my head, hot flashes, it felt hot at 73 degrees. It wasn't all too bad I did feel a bit joyful and playful after I slowly forgot about the other effects. The second day same time same effects and I went to sleep. I woke up at 9 am on the dot. I again had a strange sensation overwhelm me I had vomiting and had a panic attack. I called my doctor and was advised to stop taking the medication . I did not respond well to this medication.

January 22, 2012 11:09 AM

Review by PSS123455:

For Anxiety and Stress: I was put on Celexa about a year ago for anxiety and depression. I had terrible mood swings that were becoming uncontrollable so I finally went to see my doctor for help. At first I was put on 20mg and now I'm on 40mg. Celexa has helped me to control my mood swings and has saved my marriage. I've had anxiety since I was a young child and now with the help of Celexa, for the first time in my life I feel like a normal person. The only side effect I've had is memory loss.

January 4, 2012 8:12 AM

Review by Burnsler:

For Depression: I had been on Zoloft for years and finally admitted to my doctor, it wasn't really helping. I'm half way switched over to Celexa and I just can't believe the difference. I sure hope this renewed optimism for life continues!

January 4, 2012 4:03 AM

For Anxiety and Stress: I began using Celexa for social anxiety and mild depression. I have been using it for three years, and while it helped my symptoms, it lowered my libido drastically.

December 28, 2011 5:00 PM

Review by kathybobathy:

For Anxiety and Stress: I liked this medication at first, lost about ten pounds, no appetite, very calm, anxiety and snappiness gone! But the bad side effects which ultimately made me get off this medicine were tranced feelings, like in a coma, felt beige, people asked why I was so melancholy, no sex drive and sleepiness.

December 27, 2011 8:47 PM

For Anxiety and Stress: Really helps with my anxiety, which is the main reason for going on it. However the underlying depression that was masked by anxiety is not being helped by Citalopram. So rate it for anxiety but find it makes me emotionless, totally apathetic and tired all time. So solves one problem but makes me feel even more depressed.

December 21, 2011 6:09 PM

For Anxiety and Stress: I started taking Celexa 3 months ago for social anxiety and depression. I've had depression since I was 7 and my parents were against me taking medication. My sophmore year of college my anxiety started controlling my life to the point that I never left my home to be with people and I wouldn't participate in anything where anyone would watch me or evaluate me. I finally got my mom to agree to take me to the Doctor and get some medicine. It's been 3 months and my life has completely changed. I go out to social events, I've learned how to make friends and I'm doing great in school. This medication has changed my life significantly. The only problem I've experienced is that it makes me tired, but it's worth it.

December 20, 2011 8:45 PM

For Anxiety and Stress: I am a newbie on this medicine. I went to the doctor because had been for months, in a state of constant terror, like the feeling you would get if you were driving down the road and a kid ran out in front of the car. That feeling was with me 24/7. I had terrible nightmares. Since the first day I took Celexa, my terror subsided by about 80%. Day 4, I am a bit edgy, but I took a half Xanax and am okay now. Before I was taking four Xanax a day and I was still not coping. My side effects have been being more tired than usual, although today I am just fine. I am constipated, but a stool softener worked that out. I just pray the bad feelings stay away and I don't become non-compliant, which is typical for me. I always find a reason to stop medicines.

December 19, 2011 4:05 PM

Review by Love it!!:

For Depression: I finally made the decision to seek professional help for my depression/major anxiety. After trying to self heal for 2 years, I realized that I couldn't beat the anxiety on my own. I cried the night before my Dr. appointment, due to feelings of failure because I couldn't cure it myself, and I also cried through my entire appointment. I was severely depressed from having to live with anxiety and fear. A horrible and embarrassing thing to live with. My Dr. perscribed me Celexa and I honestly didn't think it would work. I almost gave up taking Celexa because it took 3 weeks to kick in and I am impatient. After taking Celexa, I find that I am much calmer. I don't worry about things and I am happier and less fearful. Only side effect is grinding of teeth.

December 19, 2011 3:25 PM

For Depression: This is my 2nd week on Celexa. Works great, but now my hands are itching like crazy.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 17, 2011 9:42 PM

Review by lookatmeboy:

For Depression: Celexa helped pull me out of my alcohol addiction while going to AA. After I had been sober and taken Celexa for 6 months here is where I had ended up: I was completely addicted to working out (positive addiction thank God, I also have an addictive personality) slight erectile dysfunction, didn't really want to clean my apartment, and slept about 10-11 hours a day. Celexa gave me more energy than Zoloft. I still had a GREAT deal of anxiety though. Coming off any SSRI is going to be bad but Celexa pulled me out of the hole.

December 16, 2011 11:04 AM

For Depression: I have been dealing with anxiety and depression for a few years. Got prescribed Xanax and Celexa. I was doing really well taking the Xanax but as soon as I would take the Celexa I started getting really sick. Real bad migraines, dizziness, fever with sweating. I am now being switched to Paxil, hopefully it will work for me.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 13, 2011 1:08 AM

For Anxiety and Stress: Couldn't ask for anything more. I wanted friends and a better relationship, and that's what I got, and so much more. I have my life, energy and happiness back. I've been taking Celexa for about a month now, and I feel so much better.

December 3, 2011 9:08 PM

For Depression: It's helping me a lot.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 29, 2011 1:06 PM

For Anxiety and Stress: I'm an undercover agent and was dealing with a lot of stress. The stress was causing trouble in my personal life. Celexa has been a great help. I am prescribed 20 mg a day. I take it before bed to avoid the sleepiness during the day. My family can't believe the difference in me. There were some side effects in the beginning, however they went away after 3 or 4 days. I highly recommended this medication.

November 29, 2011 10:49 AM

Review by Nikki P.:

For Anxiety and Stress: I have taken Celexa for 3 years and my anxiety attacks completely went away! It worked so well that I thought I had overcome this disorder and so I stopped taking it. Big mistake! After a few months of being off the medication and switching careers after 5 years my anxiety attacks came back with a vengeance! I resumed taking Celexa after 3 weeks of constant attacks. After being on the medication for about 3-4 weeks my attacks have completely went away and the tiny bit of anxiety that flares up quickly vanishes. I can honestly say Celexa has changed my life or the better!

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 28, 2011 9:48 PM

For Anxiety and Stress: I just finished my first week on Celexa. I have experienced mild headaches, strange dreams, yawning, loss of appetite, very sleepy all day. Nothing extreme and I expect as my body gets used to this medication I will not have so many side effects. I'm taking Celexa for anxiety and panic attacks.

November 28, 2011 5:55 PM

Review by Ribs13:

For Anxiety and Stress: I'm on week 2 of Celexa. Started at 2.5 mg for five days, then increased to 5 mg. So far, no terrible side effects. I do have dizziness/lightheadedness, but I had that before I started. Every now and then I get an intense feeling of anxiety pass through me, but it is short lived. Positives are that I feel like my head is clearer. Mostly more calm. I find myself laughing more. My motivation and tiredness are still a factor, but I am hopeful this medication will work.

November 22, 2011 2:09 AM

For Depression: My 4th week using Celexa. I feel GREAT! For the past 2 years I felt so unhappy for no reason, worried about everything, constant anxiety, grumpy and tired. Now I feel like a new person. I find myself smiling all the time, full of energy, positive attitude. I did feel very very tired the first two weeks on it, it made my stomach upset a little. That all stopped around the 3rd week, not a big deal. I am truly thankful for Celexa it has changed my life! I am sorry I waited so long to say something to my Doctor. If you think you need help call your Doctor now, don't wait.

November 17, 2011 3:01 PM