User Reviews for Celexa

Depression 201 reviews 75 medications

7.5
Summary of Celexa reviews 378 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Celexa

For Postpartum Depression: I used Celexa for postpartum depression and it was like a miracle! I had a sick baby and just thought I was a 'bad mom' and couldn't handle the stress. My marriage took a big hit and my husband refused to have a 2nd child with me due to the depression/anxiety. I spoke to my doctor when my son was 7-8 months old and went on 10 mg of Celexa. It was like turning on a light in a dark room! I sure wish I would have figured out what was wrong with me sooner! I tried to go off after about a year, but the moodiness and irritability came back, so I went back on for another 6 months or so before successfully stopping. Few side effects for me. I would recommend!

March 20, 2012 12:02 PM

Review by kids mammam:

For Anxiety and Stress: I've only been taking it since March 10 2012. I watch 4 kids and 1 of them is very hyper so far it has helped me deal with that child.

March 20, 2012 10:04 AM

For Anxiety and Stress: The only reason this medication didn't receive a 10 is because of the occasional profuse sweating and difficulty achieving orgasm. Other than that, it has proven to be just the kick start I have needed for the past 2 years (failed trials with Remeron and self medication). It does not cloud my thoughts or judgment. Having said that, it doesn't add any euphoria. It merely balances out my thought process. I find it easier to be optimistic and more motivated towards daily tasks. Things that I had once lost passion for now restore my interest. Waking up in the morning is no longer a burden; a lust for life keeps me moving, enjoying every step of the way!

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 9, 2012 3:31 AM

Review by Chuckee:

For Anxiety and Stress: I've been on Celexa now for 4 weeks and have noticed improvement in my mood/stress and anxiety. I would recommend to take it at night as that way you won't feel as tired when you get up and you aren't aware of other symptoms as much. I take it an hour before I go to bed and I can start to feel tired so it does help with sleep. I started at 10 now at 20 and I think I'll see if I can go to 25mg. I still take the clonazepam at night too though I was taking 1 pill I cut back to 1/2 a pill as in the morning I was really groggy. In the end you do have to work with this medication. It's not for everyone, you will have side effects that for the most part will go away and like any other medicine it's trial and error.

March 5, 2012 3:19 PM

Review by Missjess:

For Depression: I've been taking Celexa for a few weeks now. I've gained alot of weight.. so much in fact we thought I was pregnant! AND I'M NOT! I've been feeling nauseous, and having cramps. I dont want to have sex anymore and when we do I can't have an orgasm. My period is down to just barely anything (I have an IUD that I've had for 3 years). Celexa does make me a happier person. I'm playing with my kids now, which before I wouldn't. I just wanted to be left alone and wanted to play my computer. Now I do things with my family, I feel happier.

March 3, 2012 3:39 AM

Review by George's mom:

For Depression: I stayed on Celexa for about 6 years, as it was the SSRI with the least side effects. It worked fine for my depression, and took 6 weeks to become effective (that's about the same as I experienced with all SSRIs). I ended up going off of it due to profuse sweating and elevated blood pressure (my normal is 110/70, it shot to 135/90). Diarrhea, weird dreams and constant tiredness were also problems.

March 2, 2012 11:35 AM

Review by TexasCop:

For Anxiety and Stress: As a police officer, I suffer from high amounts of stress. Over the years it gave me anxiety. Started with Lexapro, but it made me a zombie. Cymbalta gave me suicidal thoughts. Celexa worked great for 4 years. It leveled me out and I became a much better father, husband and police officer. After 4 years, it stopped working very quickly. I have switched to Wellbutrin and hope it works as well as Celexa did.

February 27, 2012 5:53 PM

For Depression: I was put on Celexa when I was 19 and I loved it. It made me feel great. Then one day I decided to stop taking my medicines after a few months my depression returned. I have been on 5 or 6 different meds for depression and each time I stopped taking them. I am now 9 months pregnant and my depression, anxiety, and stress where so terrible that my obgyn prescribed me back on to Celexa. I have been taking it for about a week now and already my friends noticed some change in my moods. It's true at first you will be tired but after a few days of adjusting you will be back to normal. For me the only side effects that I have found that won't go away are the crazy dreams and sweating while I'm asleep. Other then that I wished I never got off of Celexa.

February 22, 2012 1:40 PM

For Depression: I am 23 and have suffered with major depression for just over 6 months. I was first put on fluoxetine which made me so much worse, I started to have suicidal thoughts. The longer I was on it the worse it seemed to get. After about 7 weeks I had had enough so changed to Celexa. After just a few days I felt different. No longer felt like there was no hope and my view of the world being a grim place I didn't want to be in had gone. I have been on it for 4 weeks now. I still struggle to get out of bed in the morning and I have intense dreams but other than that I feel much closer to my old self again!

February 14, 2012 5:11 PM

For Depression: I used to have panic attacks almost everyday and now that I am on this pill my life has improved so much.

February 9, 2012 11:54 AM

For Anxiety and Stress: I was put on this medicine after anxiety issues. It made things so bad that I was havin severe anxiety attacks was constantly jittery and unable to concentrate. I had severe hot flashes made my heart race like crazy and lots of chest pain. I discontinued after 3 doses of 10 mg after 3 days.

February 8, 2012 5:50 PM

Review by TLD1976:

For Anxiety and Stress: I have been taking Celexa about a month and a half for anxiety. I didn't go to the doctor, on the given day, to get anything but an antibiotic for being sick. I walked out of the doctor's office that day with Celexa also. I was VERY fearful of taking a type of drug like this, but I was also tired of being very anxious - always have been. I was easy to irritate. I couldn't handle stress well and couldn't seem to focus at the task at hand when I was stressed. Celexa has taken away these feelings. I feel 'normal' now, so to speak and can handle everything better. I can also orgasm, no problems (am married) ;-) and I have NOT gained any weight! I can cry also and have normal emotional responses. Celexa has been great!

141 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 3, 2012 8:11 AM

For Anxiety and Stress: I've always been a worrier, since I was a child. I assumed it was normal because it was all I'd ever known. After a bad break up and alot of professional stress I decided to see my doctor for a "crutch" to get me through the worst of it and was fully intending for the medication to be a short term situation. I've always been against taking medication for my stress. However, in the two months I've been on Celexa I've decided I'd be more than happy to stay on it forever, as long as it keeps working. The obsessive worrying is just gone, poof! I can worry about something for a few minutes and then move on with my life. I'm happy and vibrant and I feel completely normal now. I had side effects - Yawning, sleeplessness only for the first 2 weeks

72 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 31, 2012 11:38 AM

For Depression: I've been on Celexa 20mg for 15 years now and I love it. I started with Paxil and then try Zoloft and Wellbutrin. The last three medication made me feel like a zombie. But Celexa is different. Celexa made me feel like myself again, no side effect. I had a big depression (due to baby blues and multiple surgeries and lots of pain for long periods of time). Celexa SAVED MY LIFE. I've been on 20mg for all this time and didn't have to increase the dosage. If I try to stop, I become suicidal again (with no reasons at all) so I will keep taking this wonderful life saving medicine forever. Thank you for saving me. You cannot "control" depression with your "will". Depression is a sickness, like diabetes or heart problems, and Celexa is the best.

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 27, 2012 8:04 PM

For Anxiety and Stress: I was on this for 1 week and it helped within that time, though I was switched off it due to my side effects which included a loss of 13 lbs in 6 days, awful headaches, and insomnia. If you don't get those side effects, it is well worth persisting on.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 25, 2012 4:44 AM

For Depression: Citalopram has literally given me my life back. I have suffered, largely untreated, with mild-moderate depression for most of my adult life (and likely as a teen). About 10 yrs ago, I had taken Zoloft, but hated the way I felt on it. Since then, I had sworn off anti-depressants. The past few years have been stress-filled and in the past year or so, I have been on a downward spiral. I was holding it together well enough at work, but would crash when I got home. I wasn't being the mother or wife I wanted to be (and knew I could be), and was likely headed for a divorce. I was diagnosed with PMDD (though I think it is more general depression as well) and started on 20 mg of citalopram. I am me again! (side effects=dry mouth, sweating, high sex drive).

January 24, 2012 9:51 AM

For Depression: I was diagnosed with obsessive compulsive disorder and major depressive disorder about 9 months ago. I tried to go without medication but constantly just felt out of control. I had no motivation or interest in anything. I decided somewhat hesitantly to go on Celexa. Looking back 5 months later I can't believe how much my life has improved. I feel like myself again. There was never even a hint of cloudiness or that "drugged up" feeling. I just feel like me! The only side effect I really noticed was excessive yawning for the first two weeks or so and a little bit of lethargy when I switched from 20 to 40 mg. Other than that I have nothing but positive things to say!

January 23, 2012 9:01 PM

Review by Mattnofeelgood:

For Anxiety and Stress: First day taking it, at 8 pm , the medication peaks at 4 hours, so at midnight I looked in the mirror and my pupils were dilated I felt very jittery, I was unable to sleep, I felt a strange sensation creep up my body and to my head, hot flashes, it felt hot at 73 degrees. It wasn't all too bad I did feel a bit joyful and playful after I slowly forgot about the other effects. The second day same time same effects and I went to sleep. I woke up at 9 am on the dot. I again had a strange sensation overwhelm me I had vomiting and had a panic attack. I called my doctor and was advised to stop taking the medication . I did not respond well to this medication.

January 22, 2012 11:09 AM

Review by PSS123455:

For Anxiety and Stress: I was put on Celexa about a year ago for anxiety and depression. I had terrible mood swings that were becoming uncontrollable so I finally went to see my doctor for help. At first I was put on 20mg and now I'm on 40mg. Celexa has helped me to control my mood swings and has saved my marriage. I've had anxiety since I was a young child and now with the help of Celexa, for the first time in my life I feel like a normal person. The only side effect I've had is memory loss.

January 4, 2012 8:12 AM

Review by Burnsler:

For Depression: I had been on Zoloft for years and finally admitted to my doctor, it wasn't really helping. I'm half way switched over to Celexa and I just can't believe the difference. I sure hope this renewed optimism for life continues!

January 4, 2012 4:03 AM

For Anxiety and Stress: I began using Celexa for social anxiety and mild depression. I have been using it for three years, and while it helped my symptoms, it lowered my libido drastically.

December 28, 2011 5:00 PM

Review by kathybobathy:

For Anxiety and Stress: I liked this medication at first, lost about ten pounds, no appetite, very calm, anxiety and snappiness gone! But the bad side effects which ultimately made me get off this medicine were tranced feelings, like in a coma, felt beige, people asked why I was so melancholy, no sex drive and sleepiness.

December 27, 2011 8:47 PM

For Anxiety and Stress: Really helps with my anxiety, which is the main reason for going on it. However the underlying depression that was masked by anxiety is not being helped by Citalopram. So rate it for anxiety but find it makes me emotionless, totally apathetic and tired all time. So solves one problem but makes me feel even more depressed.

December 21, 2011 6:09 PM

For Anxiety and Stress: I started taking Celexa 3 months ago for social anxiety and depression. I've had depression since I was 7 and my parents were against me taking medication. My sophmore year of college my anxiety started controlling my life to the point that I never left my home to be with people and I wouldn't participate in anything where anyone would watch me or evaluate me. I finally got my mom to agree to take me to the Doctor and get some medicine. It's been 3 months and my life has completely changed. I go out to social events, I've learned how to make friends and I'm doing great in school. This medication has changed my life significantly. The only problem I've experienced is that it makes me tired, but it's worth it.

December 20, 2011 8:45 PM

For Anxiety and Stress: I am a newbie on this medicine. I went to the doctor because had been for months, in a state of constant terror, like the feeling you would get if you were driving down the road and a kid ran out in front of the car. That feeling was with me 24/7. I had terrible nightmares. Since the first day I took Celexa, my terror subsided by about 80%. Day 4, I am a bit edgy, but I took a half Xanax and am okay now. Before I was taking four Xanax a day and I was still not coping. My side effects have been being more tired than usual, although today I am just fine. I am constipated, but a stool softener worked that out. I just pray the bad feelings stay away and I don't become non-compliant, which is typical for me. I always find a reason to stop medicines.

December 19, 2011 4:05 PM