User Reviews for Celexa

Depression 209 reviews 75 medications

7.6
Summary of Celexa reviews 401 reviews 7.8

Reviews for Celexa

For Depression: It works well for me. I noticed a change very quickly.

June 15, 2012 9:58 PM

Review by alexahavok337 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: I'm 19 years old and had been struggling with depression since I was a kid. I was against antidepressants all my life until I went off on my freshman year of college out of state and found it impossible to control my emotions. I became suicidal, and was thinking about trying illegal drugs. Finally I told the school counselor that I needed help. She diagnosed me with mild depression and prescribed 20mg every day. I've been on it for a bit over a month and my life has changed. My emotions are reasonable and under control, I'm much more agreeable, energetic and optimistic. Side effects from the first two weeks were: dry mouth, excessive yawning, insomnia, and a bit of anxiety/hyperactivity. Still have decreased sex drive though.

June 12, 2012 4:10 PM

For Anxiety and Stress: I started taking Celexa to help with anxiety and panic attacks. It helped with the panic attacks and made me feel numb as far as emotions. I had to change because I would have to take a nap everyday that sometimes would last 2-3 hours. I also began sleeping very late in the day which is unusual for me. The pill would cause me to have annoying headaches. Also, the first few weeks on it my appetite was suppressed.

June 9, 2012 1:06 AM

For Depression: This is my 2nd day taking 10mg and I feel dreadful. Hungover, almost. I took Zoloft years ago and can't remember if this fog lifts or not. I just feel sad and miserable, more so than before.

June 2, 2012 7:11 PM

For Depression: I have been on this almost a month. It doesn't seem to work everyday. And the side effects are not so good either. I get headaches, yawning, can't sleep, and if I forget to take it that day my belly hurts really bad and I feel like throwing up. But I am giving it a little more time to get my body used to it. I hope I can find a better medicine or something.

May 31, 2012 11:54 AM

Review by stephanieadamsx0 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: I am completely satisfied with this medication. Celexa has improved my life drastically. Not only did it help with my depression, it also helped with my anxiety and facial flushing which led me to live a normal life again. If you suffer from depression or anxiety, go to the doctor ASAP! You will not regret getting the help you need.

May 31, 2012 12:17 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Anxiety and Stress: I started on Celexa in May 2011 after already trying Zoloft, Lexapro, Prozac and Xanax. It worked great for the panic attacks and anxiety but I gained 40 lbs in less than a year. I never craved sweets before I started Celexa. Now I can't get enough and I am always hungry. I struggled with staying on it because it worked so well or continuing gaining weight. I finally decided to try something else. My Dr. suggested Buspar since it is not known to cause weight gain. I just started Buspar today. Hope it helps. I had bad side effects from Zoloft and Prozac, but Lexapro and Celexa were great. Its different for everyone so don't get freaked out by other peoples comments.

May 21, 2012 3:10 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Depression: I suffered with terrible, suicidal depression and post traumatic stress disorder. I cannot believe how much better I feel on this medicine.

May 21, 2012 2:43 PM

For Anxiety and Stress: I've had panic attacks since 8th grade. I'm 28 now and notice my anxiety about having a panic attack was getting overwhelming. I started to notice I was avoiding situations. I'm a full time student and work part time. I need to do many speeches and I would worry about speeches from the time they were assigned. I've been on citalopram 20mg for 2.5 weeks. I have no panic attacks and I have done two speeches with no issues! Side effects of nausea with yawning and sleepiness but those go away (1.5 weeks)then I noticed the change! Wish I started sooner.

May 17, 2012 12:09 PM

Review by MSMae (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety and Stress: After years of being anxious and depressed I finally went to the doctor to get some answers. I was having nose bleeds, chest pains, and extreme withdrawal from any social situations. When he suggested an anti-anxiety/depression medicine I was very hesitant. He put me on 10mg a day. The beginning side effects were awful. My mouth and eyes were so dry I was using eye drops and nose spray daily. I was also experiencing very bad vaginal dryness which leads to extreme discomfort and bleeding. After about 2 weeks these side effects have to stop by about 65%. I feel like I have my life back. I haven't been so relaxed or motivated in YEARS. I am even thinking of asking my doctor to up my dosage to 20mg. I absolutely LOVE this medication!

May 15, 2012 1:18 PM

For Anxiety and Stress: I have had depression since I was little. After a traumatic event happened to me I became a competely different person. I became even more depressed, did not want to live and became very isolated person. I had a number of different doctors: one said I was BiPolar the other said something else. THEN FINALLY after many years being nervous all the time: my mother found a Good doctor that actually listened to me and did not rush to give me medicines. She said I suffer from social anxiety and started me at 10mg, and then went up to 20mg. And I have been on this for over a year now and it saved my life. I am able to go out again and I have a boyfriend, which I could not do before. This saved my life and I am much happier. Really.

April 30, 2012 10:41 PM

For Anxiety and Stress: I've been on Celexa now for about 2 months for anxiety. It really helps for the anxiety but I have trouble falling asleep. When I do fall asleep I have long vivid dreams all night. Very weird dreams.

April 23, 2012 12:58 AM

Review by 28/ female:

For Anxiety and Stress: I suffered from anxiety since the passing of my parents. I couldn't be the passenger in a vehicle, go in an elevator or revolving doors. I found it difficult to be around a lot of people, I also began to not feel happy anymore. My husband finally acknowledged the change and I did something about it. I am on Celexa 10 mg and it has made me so much more calm and relaxed. Only side effect, I yawn a lot and makes me tired.

April 22, 2012 1:22 PM

Review by Justbe78:

For Depression: I am a 33 yr old female. I've been on Celexa 10mg for 2 weeks now. I am so glad I my doctor offered me this; it is amazing in so many ways. I needed something for my bad mood swings, and I was depressed also. Celexa has made me not worry about all the things that don't matter, its giving me more energy, and I feel so much more free in a way, I feel happier. My fiance has noticed a big change in me. The only thing I noticed was I'm more thirsty and I wake up a little earlier, but other then that everything is great! I really recommend this to anyone who needs something for your mood, depression, or even worrying too much and I was always against medicine like this. I never wanted it, now I wish I would have asked for it sooner.

April 20, 2012 8:54 AM

Review by Tater101:

For Depression: I will start off by saying this medicine is very effective and has worked for my light anxiety and depression, and very excited about it! Like many others that have reviewed, Celexa did make me tired for the first few weeks and did have an impact on my sex drive. Overall I gladly accept the side effects for the calm/relaxed feeling that I have. It has surprisingly made my meetings at work and public speaking more manageable. I am 34 years old and have tried self-medicating with plenty of sleep and exercise and healthy diet (and positive thinking). After years of 'dealing with it' I just asked the doctor for something mild enough to lift me up and he suggested Celexa; and I am so glad he did. It's made a difference in my life!

April 19, 2012 12:15 PM

Review by Jess A.:

For Depression: Celexa has definitely helped me get back to my normal self but I've only been taking it a week (started with 10mg for a few days and now I'm at 20mg) and it has completely taken away my appetite. I have thrown up every day sometimes multiple times a day but I feel great otherwise. Happiness comes a lot easier so I'll deal with the excessive vomiting for a while since I need to lose some weight anyway.

April 16, 2012 8:43 PM

For Depression: I have been on 40mg Celexa for well over a year. I was put on it after my depression didn't respond to Prozac. It made me tired for the first few weeks and whenever my doctor increased the dose, but that subsides. It does not help much for anxiety for me, but greatly improves my depression.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 13, 2012 5:33 PM

For Anxiety and Stress: I have been taking Celexa since December, and it has helped me get rid of my anxiety. I don't know what caused my anxiety to come on exactly, but once I got home from school for semester break I started getting awful anxiety. I was getting very good grades and for the most part I had no worries at all, but I found myself not wanting to hang out with friends, not wanting to eat meals at all, even when it was my favorite food, just wanting to lay around the house and watch TV and try to sleep. Once my doctor put me on Celexa it only took a few days before I became the old me, wanting to go out with friends and doing things I have always enjoyed. I take 10mg daily. As far as side effects go, I haven't had any.

April 6, 2012 4:31 PM

Review by ERrunsit:

For Anxiety and Stress: Currently on week 2 of my experience with Celexa to treat generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) and depression. The first couple of days were absolutely terrible due to side effects (nausea, insomnia, headache, flu like symptoms and a huge increase in my depression). Don't know why I had such a severe reaction to the medication right off the bat since I've heard this is one of more tolerant SSRI's in terms of side effects. But after the a few days my system normalized and I'm already starting to feel like myself again. The doctor said it could take up to 4-6 weeks for it to fully be in effect, but I find myself sleeping through the night and waking up with a much more positive attitude and not on edge with anxiety like I had been in the past. So far so good!

April 6, 2012 1:28 PM

For Depression: I'm 17, and I've been on Celexa for roughly 2 months now, and its fantastic! I went from a depressed/suicidal teen to a happy outgoing person. I have my life back, I've never felt this good in a long time. I have struggled most of my teen years with depression, eating disorder and severe OCD, and now I am free to live my own life. My obsessions and compulsions have gone away, and I am far from depressed, I feel more normal then I have ever been. It took about 4 weeks to finally start working, I started at 10mg and now I'm at 20mg, works great and no side effects besides slight headaches occasionally and crazy vivid dreams.

April 4, 2012 10:45 PM

Review by khiggins:

For Anxiety and Stress: I have had depression my whole life. Tried Zoloft, Effexor, and 3 other medicines. I have been on this for a month now and its been great. Still have sadness but that's normal because I lost my dad not to long ago so I am still grieving, but the tiredness was the worst side effect and I still have it but I am hoping that it will go away the longer I take it. Only reason I didn't rate it so high is because I haven't been on it too long.

April 4, 2012 12:46 PM

For Depression: I started taking Celexa about five months ago and let me tell you, my life is finally normal. I had been suffering from depression and anxiety since I was 13 and it got significantly worse over the course of five years until I was crying and enraged over anything and everything. I could not think straight. Even when I knew I was getting mad over something small, I could not control my anger. I am currently taking 20 mg of Celexa and experiencing no side effects. I am completely back to normal on this medicine. I can think straight and I am happy!

April 2, 2012 2:14 AM

For Anxiety and Stress: Best thing that ever happened to me was going on Celexa.

April 1, 2012 12:42 PM

For Postpartum Depression: I used Celexa for postpartum depression and it was like a miracle! I had a sick baby and just thought I was a 'bad mom' and couldn't handle the stress. My marriage took a big hit and my husband refused to have a 2nd child with me due to the depression/anxiety. I spoke to my doctor when my son was 7-8 months old and went on 10 mg of Celexa. It was like turning on a light in a dark room! I sure wish I would have figured out what was wrong with me sooner! I tried to go off after about a year, but the moodiness and irritability came back, so I went back on for another 6 months or so before successfully stopping. Few side effects for me. I would recommend!

March 20, 2012 12:02 PM

Review by kids mammam:

For Anxiety and Stress: I've only been taking it since March 10 2012. I watch 4 kids and 1 of them is very hyper so far it has helped me deal with that child.

March 20, 2012 10:04 AM