User Reviews for Celexa

7.5
Summary of Celexa reviews 385 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Celexa

Review by darthzilla:

For Depression: I guess perhaps a rating of 1 is unfair, but I've ramped up from 20 to 60MG daily, and I feel nothing. 6 months ago I was taking 40MG/Day and I felt amazing for about 3 or 4 weeks, then it just pooped out on me overnight. Suddenly it was all gone. Very frustrating but my original prescription was from a GP, now I'm seeing a psych. His theory was that I should try something that worked for me previously, but at a dosage level my GP wasn't comfortable with. Anyway, so far I don't feel a thing. Thanks in advance - the info on this forum has been fantastic.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 2, 2011 9:10 PM

For Depression: So happy! I have been taking Celexa for 12 years, tried several others first with terrible side effects or no effect at all. Have stopped taking it a couple times ...fantastic sex drive but depression returned. Instead have reduced to 10 mg/day and it's still working for me after all these years.

October 21, 2011 9:48 AM

For Depression: Took a while for it to start treating my depression, about 3 months to start feeling even remotely better and 6 months to a year to feel the full effects. At first, the medicine made me yawn a lot and almost made me feel more depressed (probably because it didn't start working as immediately as I had hoped). Gradually went up from 20mg to 30mg after 6 months and then went up to 40mg after about a year. I have now been on Celexa for 2 years and on the 40mg dose for about 1 year. This medication has honestly saved my life! I probably wouldn't be here without it. Before Celexa, most of my days were bad days and now I am finally enjoying my life again. I highly recommend Celexa. Don't be discouraged if it doesn't start working right away.

October 19, 2011 1:24 AM

For Depression: This medication may be good if all you're dealing with is depression. If you add in chronic pain and anxiety this medication will make you believe for a week or two that you are feeling better then because of the chronic pain and anxiety there will be a low slump with overwhelming feelings of depression, fatigue and wanting to isolate oneself from everything.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 17, 2011 10:49 AM

For Depression: I have been on Celexa for 30 days now and am feeling great. I have been through a lot in life, being only 22-years-old, and was in desperate need of help. I was severely depressed, shutting loved ones out, trying to figure out how I could make myself feel better. I didn't think a little pill could snap me back to reality, but I can honestly say that this is the best I have felt since I was a child. Only 30 days into it I can feel a MAJOR difference in my mood. I don't constantly feel anxious, I'm not emotional or moody. I feel NORMAL. I really don't think I will ever stop taking Celexa. The only things I would say I don't like are that I have felt extremely tired and have been having extremely intense, vivid dreams. THANK YOU, CELEXA!

October 16, 2011 11:28 PM

Review by SweetPea0230:

For Anxiety and Stress: I had a very unpleasant experience living in a small town in America (not my style). I moved, started a new relationship, different career path and I started having symptoms of social anxiety disorder (paralysis and shaking while eating at professional events, racing heart and frozen expressions around authority figures, dizziness and various perception problems, brain-zaps on occasion.). In short, I felt like I was mentally disintegrating. My PCP was out of town for 2 weeks but I felt so scared about my health and job that I went to Urgent Care to get an SSRI. They prescribed me Celexa. I now take 40 mg and after 6 months I almost feel back to normal. Also, the Celexa started working very quickly, within days. After 1 month - much better.

October 15, 2011 11:05 PM

For Anxiety and Stress: This medicine worked better and had less side effects.

October 12, 2011 3:15 AM

For Anxiety and Stress: I have been taking Celexa for almost 2 months and it has been amazing! A little shaky at first, but when you start feeling like your old self, you know it's working. I was put on it for generalized anxiety disorder and it's truly a blessing. No more anxiety, worst case scenario thoughts, I am back to driving fully relaxed. It's been amazing and would not want to get off it. I have had some drinks with it and I don't get tipsy as fast as I did before. Truly amazing pill. Just wish I would have taken it sooner. Lost about 4 years trying to control anxiety and finally found a way.

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 11, 2011 5:29 PM

Review by mom of 4 plus triplets:

For Postpartum Depression: I have been on Celexa for about a year. I absolutely love my 'happy pill'. My whole family loves me and I love them. The only side effects I have had are migraines if I skip a dose, or increased irritation if I take an extra dose. I don't mind the migraines as they remind me to take my Celexa when life has me running. Glad my doctor listened to me and proscribed this medication. Zoloft and Wellbutrin did not work at all for me. I have been on 20mg the entire time. Hopes this helps others.

October 10, 2011 5:28 AM

Review by Don't Judge Celexa from first 3 weeks:

For Depression: To all starting out on Celexa, please don't judge it by the first 3 weeks. I am now at 8 weeks and I've never felt better. My doctor said the full effect will be felt at 8 weeks - I can truly tell. The first 3 weeks I was beyond tired, getting up and getting to work was painful. I'm usually a night owl but I was ready to crash after dinner every night. By week 4 all of my energy came back. My moods were amazing, my social skills did a 180 degree turn. This medication truly changed my life. I haven't tried anything before for my anxiety/depression as I am in my early 20's. I knew I needed help when my illness began to destroy my personal relationships. The constant yawing, tiredness, fogginess will go away. Your body will adapt.

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 5, 2011 6:09 PM

Review by Killer Whales:

For Bipolar Disorder: Celexa worked really well for me, in terms of stabilizing my mood. I actually felt really happy and thought with clarity for once! But I had to stop taking it because the side effects are just extremely unpleasant. I wasn't able to achieve an erection and if I did I wasn't able to orgasm. I also had this sedated like feeling. My body temperature would increase. But I also felt emotionless at the same time if that makes any sense. I found it hard to respond to my partners emotions. Everything was just on a cloud for me. Someone could have insulted me and I would have been alright with it.

September 29, 2011 9:15 PM

Review by sfck:

For Anxiety and Stress: This medication (at 20mg) has given me my life back. I used to dread work and constantly worried, felt mentally drained etc. I was impulsive and my temper started getting short. Now I feel like I am my old young self.

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 26, 2011 3:02 PM

For Depression: I mainly wanted to talk about withdrawal from this medication. It does work very well for depression. I honestly felt a lot better after being depressed for 4 or 5 years before I sought treatment. Just a warning to those who are considering stopping the medication...please consult your doctor and do it gradually. I stopped taking it and at the end of a 7 day period I felt like I was having a heart attack. My chest wouldn't stop hurting and I felt nauseous and dizzy.

September 25, 2011 9:36 PM

Review by Kimberjo:

For Depression: My son 16 was started on Celexa for depression and anxiety. He has had absolutely no side effects. One month after starting 20 mg his mood was significantly improved. More outgoing, cooperative, less argumentative, decreased anxiety. It is truly amazing. I am a nurse and have to say it was very noticeable. Now that school has started the anxiety and stress have increased so I am seeing a little more mood swings. Of course this is nothing compared to before. He goes to his psychologist regularly and sees his family doctor on a regular basis. Patients must remember that nothing works overnight and therapy is great along with the medication.

September 18, 2011 11:05 PM

Review by Its getting better:

For Depression: I just started taking Celexa 1 week ago. I've been a depressed, sad, sorry person for over 15 years. For some unexplained reason, I was always so low. I began hitting myself around the age of 7 and would give myself nose bleeds. I'm now 28 and my self inflictions are numerous places on my body and my flesh will hang off my muscle. In the 4 times I have been taken to the E.R. not one doctor or hospital therapist has said or done anything to help me understand why. Finally, 1 week ago in the E.R., the physician put me on 20 mg Celexa. I felt really weird the first day. I have loss of appetite, minor headache. NO ANXIETY. Still feel low but I'm set an appointment for therapy. WONDERFUL FEELING! The world is different and not so ugly. I am tired though.

September 14, 2011 11:22 PM

For Depression: I am taking Celexa now for about 2 weeks. My heavy numbness in the morning is still there and not able to function until 2 or 3 in the afternoon. I drink wine in the evening and thought I could stop. Not so. I have to stop the wine and Advil in the evening and maybe I will see a difference.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 12, 2011 1:44 PM

Review by valigirl:

For Trichotillomania: After about 6 weeks of taking Celexa I actually had no urge to pull my hair or eyelashes. After 8 months, all of my eyelashes and hair have grown back. The main side- effect for me is dry mouth. It has given me a break from the horrible suffering caused by this disease. I feel like a human instead of a freak.

September 7, 2011 5:21 PM

Review by littlelisaxss:

For Depression: I have been dealing with clinical depression since I was in kindergarten (I'm 41 now). Have been on and off many different antidepressants over the years (mostly off because of the side effects and some making me feel worse). Therapy never helped. Have been on Celexa 20mg for last month- month 1/2 and it's working very well. I have actually lost 11 lbs being on it because of loss of appetite. The only side effects I don't like is increase headaches and decreased libido. I do still feel sad and alone at times, but not as bad as I used to. I am using Xanax a lot less too.

September 1, 2011 1:07 AM

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I have been taking Celexa due to many stessful events that made my anxiety almost unbearable. Tough financial times, stress at work, 3 miscarriages, being away from family, etc. My list is huge. I was surprised I lasted this long without medicines. I always tried to convince myself that I could control the panic, fear, stress, sad feelings, etc. Exercise helped but I finally decided to get help. I hate the feeling of always being worried, always going to worst case scenarios, feeling out of place, fearful of even driving, unbearable anxiety of trying to conceive again after my traumatic experiences. Anyway, I was prescribed 20mg of Celexa. Going on week 2 and I hope this is my answer. Already feeling better, no side effects except yawning.

August 31, 2011 10:38 PM

Review by Vineyardtechie:

For Depression: I've been on 10mg Celexa for over 11 weeks. Started on 10 mg for a week then 20 mg for a week. Side effects on 20 mg: headaches, confusion, constipation. Now on 10 mg for the balance of Celexa experience. I weigh 162 (lost 5 lbs.) and am 71 yrs. I stopped alcohol (2-3 oz. per night 7 days a week); which may have caused some side effects with the 20 mg and not the cause of Celexa. I still have some headaches, constipation and that's it on side effects. My depression (clinically defined as down, sleep 10 hrs., not much interest in Life, more) has lifted. I may continue to use Celexa and no alcohol for Life, as I have been depressed numerous times. I was primary health caretaker for my chronically ill wife for 11 yrs. She died 12-10-10.

August 30, 2011 3:20 PM

Review by Female/23:

For Anxiety and Stress: I used to be extremely uptight and I am now very laid back, it feels like a dream. If I dig or look for my anxious thoughts, they are gone. I suffered from uncontrollable panic and crying, also extreme nervousness. I can now see things in my life more clearer. I was extremely uptight for the last 5 years and now I am more laid back, I'm sad because I wish I had done this sooner. Lost the love of my life because of my horrible depression and I feel like if I had been on this sooner, I wouldn't have pushed him away with my panicky behavior which I thought was just my personality! We don't choose depression/anxiety, it is a disease. I thought it was "me" for years! Feel a bit guilty about not going on it sooner. I am 23/Female.

242 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 29, 2011 3:25 PM

For Depression: I started Celexa about 5 weeks ago for depression. My depression was pretty serious. I had also just been through a death of a family friend. Also I have insomnia. I started on the 20mg, one per day and immediately felt side effects. Feeling super jittery, major energy, mind racing, uncomfortable in my own skin, rapid heartbeat and loss of appetite. It made me VERY uncomfortable and unsocial. I called my doctor to tell them how I was feeling and he told me to do 10mgs for 2 weeks and then bump up to 20 mgs. The 10 mgs was much more tolerable and I noticed I did start to feel much better and more social and can sleep better at night. I stayed with 10mgs because 20mgs is too strong for me. I feel great now! The side effects have gone away.

August 26, 2011 12:48 PM

Review by JodyMargaret:

For Depression: Celexa has improved my well being and life immensely! I feel like a care bear jumped into my body. Seriously though, on day one I already felt better, not sure if that was the medicine or just my attitude towards starting the regimen. But having a positive attitude definitely helps. It has been a while now and I feel more energetic, I'm sleeping much more normally and I am just plain HAPPY! I used to have extreme mood swings and the smallest thing would set me off. Now I notice things that used to send me in a hissy fit or bad attitude and they make me laugh or I shrug it off. I suggest this medicine. I am terrible usually at adapting to medicines but this one fit right in! I'm going to stop before I start singing "happy happy joy joy".

August 25, 2011 9:39 PM

Review by cant leave house:

For Panic Disorder: 20mg citralopam caused me to have severe anxiety attacks, feel like I cannot relax ever, cannot sleep, I feel dizzy all the time and nauseous, and its given me horrible digestive problems. I have taken Zoloft and Paxil and with good results for years, but started having sexual dysfunction and was switched to citalopram. It stopped my crying spells but I feel like my depression is still there. I just cannot let out my feelings due to this medicine. Only positive is that I can just barely manage to function sexually. I am really surprised to see all these good reviews on here as to how it made others less anxious and more positive and social and even drowsy as it has had the total opposite effect on me.

August 25, 2011 1:34 AM

Review by TIm BOB:

For Anxiety and Stress: The Doctor said it would take 10 days to 2 weeks to kick in, but at day 8 I noticed a real difference. I was on Wellbutrin for several years, and took myself off 2 years ago. But as life happens I need a happy pill again. I was having SEVERE panic attacks, which I had never had before. So glad to have my Doctor prescribe CELEXA, it's so awesome to feel normal again. The only real side effect was yawning for a few weeks. No sexual side effects at all, it's better, because I feel better. So if you are questioning it DON'T for the sake of you and your loved. Try it.

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 14, 2011 12:03 AM