User Reviews for Celexa

7.6
Summary of Celexa reviews 364 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Celexa

Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: I started Celexa about 5 weeks ago for depression. My depression was pretty serious. I had also just been through a death of a family friend. Also I have insomnia. I started on the 20mg, one per day and immediately felt side effects. Feeling super jittery, major energy, mind racing, uncomfortable in my own skin, rapid heartbeat and loss of appetite. It made me VERY uncomfortable and unsocial. I called my doctor to tell them how I was feeling and he told me to do 10mgs for 2 weeks and then bump up to 20 mgs. The 10 mgs was much more tolerable and I noticed I did start to feel much better and more social and can sleep better at night. I stayed with 10mgs because 20mgs is too strong for me. I feel great now! The side effects have gone away.

August 26, 2011 12:48 PM
Review by JodyMargaret: User Rating:

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: Celexa has improved my well being and life immensely! I feel like a care bear jumped into my body. Seriously though, on day one I already felt better, not sure if that was the medicine or just my attitude towards starting the regimen. But having a positive attitude definitely helps. It has been a while now and I feel more energetic, I'm sleeping much more normally and I am just plain HAPPY! I used to have extreme mood swings and the smallest thing would set me off. Now I notice things that used to send me in a hissy fit or bad attitude and they make me laugh or I shrug it off. I suggest this medicine. I am terrible usually at adapting to medicines but this one fit right in! I'm going to stop before I start singing "happy happy joy joy".

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
August 25, 2011 9:39 PM
Review by cant leave house: User Rating:

Celexa (citalopram) for Panic Disorder: 20mg citralopam caused me to have severe anxiety attacks, feel like I cannot relax ever, cannot sleep, I feel dizzy all the time and nauseous, and its given me horrible digestive problems. I have taken Zoloft and Paxil and with good results for years, but started having sexual dysfunction and was switched to citalopram. It stopped my crying spells but I feel like my depression is still there. I just cannot let out my feelings due to this medicine. Only positive is that I can just barely manage to function sexually. I am really surprised to see all these good reviews on here as to how it made others less anxious and more positive and social and even drowsy as it has had the total opposite effect on me.

August 25, 2011 1:34 AM
Review by TIm BOB: User Rating:

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: The Doctor said it would take 10 days to 2 weeks to kick in, but at day 8 I noticed a real difference. I was on Wellbutrin for several years, and took myself off 2 years ago. But as life happens I need a happy pill again. I was having SEVERE panic attacks, which I had never had before. So glad to have my Doctor prescribe CELEXA, it's so awesome to feel normal again. The only real side effect was yawning for a few weeks. No sexual side effects at all, it's better, because I feel better. So if you are questioning it DON'T for the sake of you and your loved. Try it.

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
August 14, 2011 12:03 AM
Review by mistakriss: User Rating:

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: I was prescribed Celexa due to Anxiety, stress and depression. I initially went to the Doctor for insomnia. Went through that for 7-10 weeks. Because I was not sleeping, I started getting panic attacks at night. The Doctor prescribed Ativan for the anxiety and Ambien at night. The Ambien didn't work. So I found myself taking the Ativan only at night which seemed to help a little bit. One night I experienced a horrific panic attack after taking the Ativan. I all of a sudden started crying and just started feeling miserable. I came to realize that I am deeply depressed and I need help. Long story short. Went to the Doctor and after 10 days of being on Celexa, I truly feel better and I am averaging 6-7 hours of sleep where as 11 days ago it was only 3-4 hours.

August 6, 2011 6:29 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Celexa (citalopram) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I have been taking Celexa, in total for about 5 weeks. My doctor started me at 10mg for a week, then 20mg for a week, then 40mg. I have been taking 40 mg for about 2.5 weeks now. Celexa helped my depression, which was from the anxiety and obssesive compulsive disorder, after about a week. I am also taking Klonopin 0.5mg at night to help me sleep. My doctor said it would take at least 3 weeks maybe as long as 6 weeks on my 40mg to control my severe anxiety and out of nowhere panic attacks. I made the mistake of taking myself off of my Klonopin this past Friday. I have gradually gotten worse since. I am seeing my doctor today but I already know it's because I stopped taking my Klonopin too soon and the Celexa hasn't reached it's full potential yet.

July 27, 2011 3:40 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: Good.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
July 26, 2011 7:14 PM
Review by Dragonlover: User Rating:

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: I was put on Celexa last Thursday due to the fact, I had a major anxiety attack while working Wednesday. Felt like I was having a heart attack, but it was anxiety due to some bad news about lay/offs at work and I have a family to provide for. My PCP prescribed me a 10mg dose of Celexa once daily, I take it before I go to bed at night so I do not feel the grogginess and give it time to work through my system during the night. I have been taking it for about 5 days, but I am feeling better already. I know it takes about a week for it to really work in your system but I have a quick reflex system so medicines absorb quicker in me. I have had a few side effects, as far as sex-drive still pretty good. Yawning is sometimes a pain.

July 25, 2011 10:57 AM
Review by Chingona1: User Rating:

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: I just started Celexa when my doctor put me on it about a week ago. We just couldn't win with my depression and all that entails for major depressive disorder, and I was feeling really depressed at the time. I'm on a low dose but only for about two weeks until we check it out. I've been diagnosed now for about 8 or 9 years, tried LOTS of anti-depressants. Even though I tried to work with them all, as a team me and the medicine, we just couldn't win with it the depression. My side effects of depression are a huge lack of energy, being angry often, usually at the whole world, so much stress and negativity, So much that I will say thanks to everyone who commented. I hope I have a lot to look forward to now based on all of the positive comments about Celexa.

July 23, 2011 12:49 AM
Review by anxiety4yrs: User Rating:

Celexa (citalopram) for Panic Disorder: I was on Lexapro for 6 years before it started to poop out. Besides panic disorder, I have some OCD and I am scared of taken medicine. So, when the doctor wanted me to try Celexa it took three months of therapy and hitting rock bottom before I took it. Well, 5 weeks later things are great. Virtually no panic attacks and it has reduce to obsessive compulsive disorder habits to a minimum. I did have loss of sex drive for the first three weeks, but I am back to normal now and my husband is happy. I was also very scared of gaining more weight. I gained 45 lbs on Lexapro but so far on Celexa I have lost 8 lbs. I hope this medicine never poops out on me.

July 21, 2011 10:47 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: Went on Celexa for anxiety/mild depression. I was very emotional. In less than 3 hours my I eyes became itchy, red and irritated. I tried to stick it out for a week, but I obviously had an allergic reaction. Doctor has me on Lexapro 10 mg, so we'll see how that goes.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
July 12, 2011 10:27 AM
Review by Samantha C: User Rating:

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: I have suffered with anxiety since my early 20's. I'm now 27. After the loss of my father it threw me into a depression that I couldn't seem to get out of. I started Celexa 20 mg about 2 weeks ago, the first two days I could tell I was on medicine, I was a little slow, however the 3rd day I felt like a brand new person. I have no depression, anxiety, mood swings. I feel as if everything that I thought consumed my life was over. I had a new approach to dealing with everyday life. I think Celexa saved me. I did lose my appetite but I wanted to lose a few pounds anyways. So another good thing about it and I have occasional dry mouth HOWEVER I feel great. So I'll take it. I recommend this medicine to anyone.

134 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
July 11, 2011 10:48 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: I wish I wouldn't have waited so long to start Celexa. I am actually enjoying life now, have a sense of humor, and am not filled with worst case scenario thoughts all the time. I would highly recommend it. Some side effects at first, all have subsided.

115 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
July 8, 2011 2:42 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: I started taking Lexapro 10 mg about to months ago and felt great well my insurance would not cover the Lexapro no more so I got switched to Celexa. WEll I have been on it for two days and it has made me so mean. I am not liking this at all. Anything makes me irritable so I called my MD and am waiting on a phone call back.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
June 29, 2011 4:29 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: I've only been taking this medicine for about a week and I feel like a zombie. I have no emotion, lack of coordination, sometimes confusion, slurred speech and a constant headache. Hopefully this gets better.

June 24, 2011 9:58 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: It took them 13 years of making me a lab rat for medications, but I finally got to the right dosage of Celexa and my life did a complete 180. I've finally come out of a 43 year fog!

June 15, 2011 11:13 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: I was put on 20 mg of Celexa, been about a month now. I had a hysterectomy and going through instant menopause at the age of 43 and I can't take any hormones so my anxiety levels where through the roof. This medicine has helped. My nervousness and shaking has subsided. There are side effects but some go away eventually. Glad I took it because I almost didn't.

June 13, 2011 11:42 PM
Review by jaclynlala: User Rating:

Celexa (citalopram) for Panic Disorder: One day six years ago, I became consumed with anxiety. Panic attacks, head pressure, foggy head, pressure in my ear, nausea, dizziness, tingling appendages appeared literally from out of the blue became my life at 26 years old. I went to numerous Doctors who tested me for EVERYTHING. I managed with Xanax, which seemed to be the only thing that made me feel normal again for brief periods of time. I just wasn't myself and I longed for my old life when I felt confidant and in control. I didn't want to believe that it could all be in my mind and was convinced that I had some unknown disorder. Finally, I went to a Psychiatrist who diagnosed me with Panic Disorder and GAD. I was prescribed Celexa 20.

June 7, 2011 7:48 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: Since I was 14 I have battled with severe depression. I never believed that I actually was depressed until one point I felt driven to the edge of taking my life. I decided that this was the only option I had not tried. After only a week I began to respond with the only side effect being an awful headache following the first dose. I have my life back again and man does it feel good.

June 6, 2011 12:16 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: At first Celexa really helped. I had more energy, was happy and was like my old self. That lasted only about 3 weeks before I started feeling bad again and wanting to sleep all the time. I also had a claustrophobic feeling like I couldn't breathe. I told my doctor and he also prescribed trazodone to take with it because he thought this would level me out. The combination of the 2 made me dizzy, sick and very tired all the time. I couldn't even wake up when my baby was crying in the room next to me. Needless to say, I had to quit taking the medicine. I wished it would have continued to work like it did those first 3 weeks. Also, I started to eat more after the euphoric 3 weeks were gone.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
June 6, 2011 12:15 AM
Review by Bubbles31: User Rating:

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: I have been taking 40 mg of Celexa now for the past 2 weeks. I can tell quite a change in my personality and it's for the better. It's literally saving my relationship. I have experienced the nausea, but the positive is that it's helping me lose some unwanted weight that I put on from previous medications. Overall I think that it's a great medication.

June 1, 2011 1:48 PM
Review by audwan4: User Rating:

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: Since I graduated high school, I have been on a number of antidepressants. So far Celexa is the only one that relieved my anxiety and left my sex drive alone. I've been getting better sleep at night, but I feel a little tired during the day at times. But that definitely beats staying up all night with racing thoughts. I like it so far.

May 28, 2011 5:58 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: I began this medicine a year ago and have been stable at one dosage, 40 mg, for 7 months. I have experienced a large weight gain of 20 lbs on my small frame and have become very unhappy. I trusted my physician when I chose this medication. He told me it is one of the only SSRI's that does not cause weight gain. I feel all the positive side effects I first experienced have faded. I am going to be going off the medication this week with hopes of losing the weight. Gaining so much weight for a young girl is counterproductive when considering what the medication is originally prescribed for. I am a 23 yr old female.

May 28, 2011 2:08 AM
Review by English Teacher: User Rating:

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: I resisted my doctors claim that I was depressed and suffering from anxiety due to chemical imbalance due to being premenopausal. I have always felt in control of my emotions, generally happy and optimistic but for the last year I lost the ability to stay calm and feel happy- my moods kept slipping away from me and I felt angry and sad at the same time. My doctor put my on Celexa. My very first dose I had the worst headache I have ever had- I do have periodic migraines BUT never a headache like this. I continued Celexa, reluctantly and made it through the first week. Two months later, with an occasional headache and frequent yawning I feel like a dark cloud has lifted. My emotional state is remarkably calm and even a bit upbeat. YEA Celexa!

May 22, 2011 7:01 PM
Review by Bad Medicine Man: User Rating:

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: I was having stress issues dealing with family and work issues. I was prescribed Celexa 20mg and about an hour after the 3rd dose I began to have severe anxiety attacks. My heart was pounding and I had to run outside, feeling claustrophobic and severely depressed. I was told to stop the drug immediately but it still took 72 hours for the side effects to go away. I had anxiety attacks several times a day, loss of appetite and depression during that time. I realize this was a rare reaction, but my message is to be prepared when you take something like this.

May 19, 2011 9:52 AM