User Reviews for Celexa

Depression 208 reviews 75 medications

7.5
Summary of Celexa reviews 395 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Celexa

For Anxiety and Stress: I just finished my first week on Celexa. I have experienced mild headaches, strange dreams, yawning, loss of appetite, very sleepy all day. Nothing extreme and I expect as my body gets used to this medication I will not have so many side effects. I'm taking Celexa for anxiety and panic attacks.

November 28, 2011 5:55 PM

Review by Ribs13:

For Anxiety and Stress: I'm on week 2 of Celexa. Started at 2.5 mg for five days, then increased to 5 mg. So far, no terrible side effects. I do have dizziness/lightheadedness, but I had that before I started. Every now and then I get an intense feeling of anxiety pass through me, but it is short lived. Positives are that I feel like my head is clearer. Mostly more calm. I find myself laughing more. My motivation and tiredness are still a factor, but I am hopeful this medication will work.

November 22, 2011 2:09 AM

For Depression: My 4th week using Celexa. I feel GREAT! For the past 2 years I felt so unhappy for no reason, worried about everything, constant anxiety, grumpy and tired. Now I feel like a new person. I find myself smiling all the time, full of energy, positive attitude. I did feel very very tired the first two weeks on it, it made my stomach upset a little. That all stopped around the 3rd week, not a big deal. I am truly thankful for Celexa it has changed my life! I am sorry I waited so long to say something to my Doctor. If you think you need help call your Doctor now, don't wait.

November 17, 2011 3:01 PM

For Depression: I have suffered from severe depression and social anxiety for years. After 3 days on Celexa my world felt completely different. Everything feels right again and for the first time in ages I feel happy. The only side effect I have encountered is random bouts of fatigue but I have been told it will balance out after a few weeks. This medicine is incredible and I can't believe it took me so long to admit I needed it.

November 15, 2011 6:44 AM

Review by bonnie ann:

For Anxiety and Stress: I have taken several medicines for depression and anxiety in the past. None have worked and would cause me to have terrible insomnia at night. Celexa has been great. At first I experienced dizziness and was very sleepy. I also had nausea and GI upset. After a week, the side effects went away. I feel more relaxed and do not worry about things that used to stress me out. I sleep great at night. I take 10 mg at night. I am so glad I tried this medicine.

November 13, 2011 10:01 PM

For Depression: Be careful when taking this medicine. Very helpful to relieve depression, but will interfere with your sleep. After only taking it for 4 days, I was fired for falling asleep on the job because I did not hear the phone or the knock on the dept door. I do not remember going to sleep as I usually would and normally I'm a very light sleeper. It also made me sweat a lot and I lost the ability to cry. On the good side, it relieved my depression, I lost my appetite and my thoughts became much clearer.

November 12, 2011 11:37 PM

For Anxiety and Stress: Good

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 9, 2011 11:50 PM

Review by Saiphm42:

For Anxiety and Stress: I've had anxiety my entire life (as long as I can remember). I've had counseling over and over again with no results. I'm 31 now. I took Zoloft and Klonopin at about 19 years old with HORRIBLE side effects. I've been anti-medication since 19, but three days ago, I told my doctor I was FED UP with the lack of sleep, full-blown panic attacks, and feeling like I'm dying every hour to a point that my marriage is being adversely affected and my son is suffering from having less than the mom he deserves. He put me on 20 mg of Celexa. I don't know what to expect in a few weeks, but I already search for the anxious thoughts and can't find them. I'm SO hopeful that side effects will subside and that I'll still be me but better!

November 7, 2011 5:20 PM

For Depression: I was diagnosed with Bipolar I a couple of months ago, and have already tried quite a few medicines. They all made me feel HORRIBLE! I wanted to avoid taking lithium, so my doctor tried me on Celexa for my depression and Lamictal for my mania. I've only been taking it for a week and feel GREAT! I can't tell you how relieved I am to feel like a normal person, it's been a few years since I could actually say I feel normal. The only side effects of the Celexa I had were insomnia and the yawning, and they're both already starting to go away. I'm very pleased with this medication.

November 5, 2011 11:35 AM

Review by Elella:

For Anxiety and Stress: My doctor has tried me on other antidepressants and I felt no relief of my symptoms. I was given this medication almost a year ago and it's been the best year of my life. Obviously I'm not depressed but stressed with anxiety.

November 4, 2011 7:54 AM

Review by darthzilla:

For Depression: I guess perhaps a rating of 1 is unfair, but I've ramped up from 20 to 60MG daily, and I feel nothing. 6 months ago I was taking 40MG/Day and I felt amazing for about 3 or 4 weeks, then it just pooped out on me overnight. Suddenly it was all gone. Very frustrating but my original prescription was from a GP, now I'm seeing a psych. His theory was that I should try something that worked for me previously, but at a dosage level my GP wasn't comfortable with. Anyway, so far I don't feel a thing. Thanks in advance - the info on this forum has been fantastic.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 2, 2011 9:10 PM

For Depression: So happy! I have been taking Celexa for 12 years, tried several others first with terrible side effects or no effect at all. Have stopped taking it a couple times ...fantastic sex drive but depression returned. Instead have reduced to 10 mg/day and it's still working for me after all these years.

October 21, 2011 9:48 AM

For Depression: Took a while for it to start treating my depression, about 3 months to start feeling even remotely better and 6 months to a year to feel the full effects. At first, the medicine made me yawn a lot and almost made me feel more depressed (probably because it didn't start working as immediately as I had hoped). Gradually went up from 20mg to 30mg after 6 months and then went up to 40mg after about a year. I have now been on Celexa for 2 years and on the 40mg dose for about 1 year. This medication has honestly saved my life! I probably wouldn't be here without it. Before Celexa, most of my days were bad days and now I am finally enjoying my life again. I highly recommend Celexa. Don't be discouraged if it doesn't start working right away.

October 19, 2011 1:24 AM

For Depression: This medication may be good if all you're dealing with is depression. If you add in chronic pain and anxiety this medication will make you believe for a week or two that you are feeling better then because of the chronic pain and anxiety there will be a low slump with overwhelming feelings of depression, fatigue and wanting to isolate oneself from everything.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 17, 2011 10:49 AM

For Depression: I have been on Celexa for 30 days now and am feeling great. I have been through a lot in life, being only 22-years-old, and was in desperate need of help. I was severely depressed, shutting loved ones out, trying to figure out how I could make myself feel better. I didn't think a little pill could snap me back to reality, but I can honestly say that this is the best I have felt since I was a child. Only 30 days into it I can feel a MAJOR difference in my mood. I don't constantly feel anxious, I'm not emotional or moody. I feel NORMAL. I really don't think I will ever stop taking Celexa. The only things I would say I don't like are that I have felt extremely tired and have been having extremely intense, vivid dreams. THANK YOU, CELEXA!

October 16, 2011 11:28 PM

Review by SweetPea0230:

For Anxiety and Stress: I had a very unpleasant experience living in a small town in America (not my style). I moved, started a new relationship, different career path and I started having symptoms of social anxiety disorder (paralysis and shaking while eating at professional events, racing heart and frozen expressions around authority figures, dizziness and various perception problems, brain-zaps on occasion.). In short, I felt like I was mentally disintegrating. My PCP was out of town for 2 weeks but I felt so scared about my health and job that I went to Urgent Care to get an SSRI. They prescribed me Celexa. I now take 40 mg and after 6 months I almost feel back to normal. Also, the Celexa started working very quickly, within days. After 1 month - much better.

October 15, 2011 11:05 PM

For Anxiety and Stress: This medicine worked better and had less side effects.

October 12, 2011 3:15 AM

For Anxiety and Stress: I have been taking Celexa for almost 2 months and it has been amazing! A little shaky at first, but when you start feeling like your old self, you know it's working. I was put on it for generalized anxiety disorder and it's truly a blessing. No more anxiety, worst case scenario thoughts, I am back to driving fully relaxed. It's been amazing and would not want to get off it. I have had some drinks with it and I don't get tipsy as fast as I did before. Truly amazing pill. Just wish I would have taken it sooner. Lost about 4 years trying to control anxiety and finally found a way.

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 11, 2011 5:29 PM

Review by mom of 4 plus triplets:

For Postpartum Depression: I have been on Celexa for about a year. I absolutely love my 'happy pill'. My whole family loves me and I love them. The only side effects I have had are migraines if I skip a dose, or increased irritation if I take an extra dose. I don't mind the migraines as they remind me to take my Celexa when life has me running. Glad my doctor listened to me and proscribed this medication. Zoloft and Wellbutrin did not work at all for me. I have been on 20mg the entire time. Hopes this helps others.

October 10, 2011 5:28 AM

Review by Don't Judge Celexa from first 3 weeks:

For Depression: To all starting out on Celexa, please don't judge it by the first 3 weeks. I am now at 8 weeks and I've never felt better. My doctor said the full effect will be felt at 8 weeks - I can truly tell. The first 3 weeks I was beyond tired, getting up and getting to work was painful. I'm usually a night owl but I was ready to crash after dinner every night. By week 4 all of my energy came back. My moods were amazing, my social skills did a 180 degree turn. This medication truly changed my life. I haven't tried anything before for my anxiety/depression as I am in my early 20's. I knew I needed help when my illness began to destroy my personal relationships. The constant yawing, tiredness, fogginess will go away. Your body will adapt.

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 5, 2011 6:09 PM

Review by Killer Whales:

For Bipolar Disorder: Celexa worked really well for me, in terms of stabilizing my mood. I actually felt really happy and thought with clarity for once! But I had to stop taking it because the side effects are just extremely unpleasant. I wasn't able to achieve an erection and if I did I wasn't able to orgasm. I also had this sedated like feeling. My body temperature would increase. But I also felt emotionless at the same time if that makes any sense. I found it hard to respond to my partners emotions. Everything was just on a cloud for me. Someone could have insulted me and I would have been alright with it.

September 29, 2011 9:15 PM

Review by sfck:

For Anxiety and Stress: This medication (at 20mg) has given me my life back. I used to dread work and constantly worried, felt mentally drained etc. I was impulsive and my temper started getting short. Now I feel like I am my old young self.

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 26, 2011 3:02 PM

For Depression: I mainly wanted to talk about withdrawal from this medication. It does work very well for depression. I honestly felt a lot better after being depressed for 4 or 5 years before I sought treatment. Just a warning to those who are considering stopping the medication...please consult your doctor and do it gradually. I stopped taking it and at the end of a 7 day period I felt like I was having a heart attack. My chest wouldn't stop hurting and I felt nauseous and dizzy.

September 25, 2011 9:36 PM

Review by Kimberjo:

For Depression: My son 16 was started on Celexa for depression and anxiety. He has had absolutely no side effects. One month after starting 20 mg his mood was significantly improved. More outgoing, cooperative, less argumentative, decreased anxiety. It is truly amazing. I am a nurse and have to say it was very noticeable. Now that school has started the anxiety and stress have increased so I am seeing a little more mood swings. Of course this is nothing compared to before. He goes to his psychologist regularly and sees his family doctor on a regular basis. Patients must remember that nothing works overnight and therapy is great along with the medication.

September 18, 2011 11:05 PM

Review by Its getting better:

For Depression: I just started taking Celexa 1 week ago. I've been a depressed, sad, sorry person for over 15 years. For some unexplained reason, I was always so low. I began hitting myself around the age of 7 and would give myself nose bleeds. I'm now 28 and my self inflictions are numerous places on my body and my flesh will hang off my muscle. In the 4 times I have been taken to the E.R. not one doctor or hospital therapist has said or done anything to help me understand why. Finally, 1 week ago in the E.R., the physician put me on 20 mg Celexa. I felt really weird the first day. I have loss of appetite, minor headache. NO ANXIETY. Still feel low but I'm set an appointment for therapy. WONDERFUL FEELING! The world is different and not so ugly. I am tired though.

September 14, 2011 11:22 PM