User Reviews for Celexa

Depression 236 reviews 75 medications

7.6
Summary of Celexa reviews 457 reviews 8.0

Reviews for Celexa

For Depression "I suffered from post traumatic stress disorder since I was very young. When I first received therapy at 28 I tried several anti-depression medicines with little success. I also went on and off meds, which I learned much later wasn't the correct thing to do. At 46 I found a Psychiatrist who helped me understanding my condition and prescribed Celexa. I've been on Celexa 10mg since 2007 and know I must stay on depression medication for life. My moods are bright, I don't get "stuck" for long periods, no suicide thoughts, and haven't had any big panic attacks for years. I'm very sensitive to many medicines and Celexa has been very good in treating my depression with anxiety, with little to no side effects. A little dry mouth and tiredness on occasion is all."

BunnyRun (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 15, 2012

For Anxiety and Stress "Good stuff, the committee in my head has gone on vacation."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 12, 2012

186 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress "I have tried Celexa for about 9 days now. As a medical professional, I was not sure about starting a new medicine that could potentially interfere with my memory or sleeping habits, however after realizing that was living everyday as if something bad would happen, worrying about the minimal thing and almost having a panic attack, I just sought medical help. The most annoying part was a nervous tic that now I realize I had for years but exacerbated significantly for the last month, specially when I was stressed out. The medicine is started to act now, I feel more relaxed and do not worry about everything. I do feel sleepy in the afternoon but can function normally. My doctor said he will adjust the dose. The best thing: the tic is going away!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 9, 2012

For Depression "I was on Celexa and Xanax for 8 months and thankfully didn’t experience any crazy side effects; was just a little more tired than usual but not to the extent that it was affecting my work or social life. I thought I was fine and no longer needed to take medication so I weaned myself off in early February however within 2 months I started feeling the way I had been feeling prior to starting treatment. For months I tried making myself believe that I was just feeling stress and anxiety because of work, but after battling mood swings, distancing myself from my friends and family, drinking and smoking excessively, and being in a seemingly perpetual funk I realized it really wasn’t fine and it was time to get my life back. Last week I started yoga, took a break from alcohol, and went to see a doctor. He put me back on Celexa and switched me from Xanax to Klonopin. Today is my first day back on the medication and although I am not thrilled to be back on this type of treatment, I am very much looking forward to feeling “normal” again."

Anonymous July 8, 2012

For Depression "Does not seem to help me and just makes me tired."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 8, 2012

For Depression "Works wonders. I have my life back. The first two weeks were rough because of nausea and increased anxiety. It kicked in after three weeks or so and now six months later I'm doing great."

Anonymous July 5, 2012

For Depression "It works well for me. I noticed a change very quickly."

Anonymous June 15, 2012

For Depression "I'm 19 years old and had been struggling with depression since I was a kid. I was against antidepressants all my life until I went off on my freshman year of college out of state and found it impossible to control my emotions. I became suicidal, and was thinking about trying illegal drugs. Finally I told the school counselor that I needed help. She diagnosed me with mild depression and prescribed 20mg every day. I've been on it for a bit over a month and my life has changed. My emotions are reasonable and under control, I'm much more agreeable, energetic and optimistic. Side effects from the first two weeks were: dry mouth, excessive yawning, insomnia, and a bit of anxiety/hyperactivity. Still have decreased sex drive though."

alexahavok337 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 12, 2012

For Anxiety and Stress "I started taking Celexa to help with anxiety and panic attacks. It helped with the panic attacks and made me feel numb as far as emotions. I had to change because I would have to take a nap everyday that sometimes would last 2-3 hours. I also began sleeping very late in the day which is unusual for me. The pill would cause me to have annoying headaches. Also, the first few weeks on it my appetite was suppressed."

Anonymous June 9, 2012

For Depression "This is my 2nd day taking 10mg and I feel dreadful. Hungover, almost. I took Zoloft years ago and can't remember if this fog lifts or not. I just feel sad and miserable, more so than before."

Anonymous June 2, 2012

For Depression "I have been on this almost a month. It doesn't seem to work everyday. And the side effects are not so good either. I get headaches, yawning, can't sleep, and if I forget to take it that day my belly hurts really bad and I feel like throwing up. But I am giving it a little more time to get my body used to it. I hope I can find a better medicine or something."

Anonymous May 31, 2012

For Depression "I am completely satisfied with this medication. Celexa has improved my life drastically. Not only did it help with my depression, it also helped with my anxiety and facial flushing which led me to live a normal life again. If you suffer from depression or anxiety, go to the doctor ASAP! You will not regret getting the help you need."

stephanieadamsx0 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 31, 2012

For Anxiety and Stress "I started on Celexa in May 2011 after already trying Zoloft, Lexapro, Prozac and Xanax. It worked great for the panic attacks and anxiety but I gained 40 lbs in less than a year. I never craved sweets before I started Celexa. Now I can't get enough and I am always hungry. I struggled with staying on it because it worked so well or continuing gaining weight. I finally decided to try something else. My Dr. suggested Buspar since it is not known to cause weight gain. I just started Buspar today. Hope it helps. I had bad side effects from Zoloft and Prozac, but Lexapro and Celexa were great. Its different for everyone so don't get freaked out by other peoples comments. "

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 21, 2012

For Depression "I suffered with terrible, suicidal depression and post traumatic stress disorder. I cannot believe how much better I feel on this medicine."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 21, 2012

For Anxiety and Stress "I've had panic attacks since 8th grade. I'm 28 now and notice my anxiety about having a panic attack was getting overwhelming. I started to notice I was avoiding situations. I'm a full time student and work part time. I need to do many speeches and I would worry about speeches from the time they were assigned. I've been on citalopram 20mg for 2.5 weeks. I have no panic attacks and I have done two speeches with no issues! Side effects of nausea with yawning and sleepiness but those go away (1.5 weeks)then I noticed the change! Wish I started sooner."

Anonymous May 17, 2012

For Anxiety and Stress "After years of being anxious and depressed I finally went to the doctor to get some answers. I was having nose bleeds, chest pains, and extreme withdrawal from any social situations. When he suggested an anti-anxiety/depression medicine I was very hesitant. He put me on 10mg a day. The beginning side effects were awful. My mouth and eyes were so dry I was using eye drops and nose spray daily. I was also experiencing very bad vaginal dryness which leads to extreme discomfort and bleeding. After about 2 weeks these side effects have to stop by about 65%. I feel like I have my life back. I haven't been so relaxed or motivated in YEARS. I am even thinking of asking my doctor to up my dosage to 20mg. I absolutely LOVE this medication!"

MSMae (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 15, 2012

For Anxiety and Stress "I have had depression since I was little. After a traumatic event happened to me I became a competely different person. I became even more depressed, did not want to live and became very isolated person. I had a number of different doctors: one said I was BiPolar the other said something else. THEN FINALLY after many years being nervous all the time: my mother found a Good doctor that actually listened to me and did not rush to give me medicines. She said I suffer from social anxiety and started me at 10mg, and then went up to 20mg. And I have been on this for over a year now and it saved my life. I am able to go out again and I have a boyfriend, which I could not do before. This saved my life and I am much happier. Really."

Anonymous April 30, 2012

For Anxiety and Stress "I've been on Celexa now for about 2 months for anxiety. It really helps for the anxiety but I have trouble falling asleep. When I do fall asleep I have long vivid dreams all night. Very weird dreams."

Anonymous April 23, 2012

For Anxiety and Stress "I suffered from anxiety since the passing of my parents. I couldn't be the passenger in a vehicle, go in an elevator or revolving doors. I found it difficult to be around a lot of people, I also began to not feel happy anymore. My husband finally acknowledged the change and I did something about it. I am on Celexa 10 mg and it has made me so much more calm and relaxed. Only side effect, I yawn a lot and makes me tired."

28/ female April 22, 2012

For Depression "I am a 33 yr old female. I've been on Celexa 10mg for 2 weeks now. I am so glad I my doctor offered me this; it is amazing in so many ways. I needed something for my bad mood swings, and I was depressed also. Celexa has made me not worry about all the things that don't matter, its giving me more energy, and I feel so much more free in a way, I feel happier. My fiance has noticed a big change in me. The only thing I noticed was I'm more thirsty and I wake up a little earlier, but other then that everything is great! I really recommend this to anyone who needs something for your mood, depression, or even worrying too much and I was always against medicine like this. I never wanted it, now I wish I would have asked for it sooner."

Justbe78 April 20, 2012

For Depression "I will start off by saying this medicine is very effective and has worked for my light anxiety and depression, and very excited about it! Like many others that have reviewed, Celexa did make me tired for the first few weeks and did have an impact on my sex drive. Overall I gladly accept the side effects for the calm/relaxed feeling that I have. It has surprisingly made my meetings at work and public speaking more manageable. I am 34 years old and have tried self-medicating with plenty of sleep and exercise and healthy diet (and positive thinking). After years of 'dealing with it' I just asked the doctor for something mild enough to lift me up and he suggested Celexa; and I am so glad he did. It's made a difference in my life!"

Tater101 April 19, 2012

For Depression "Celexa has definitely helped me get back to my normal self but I've only been taking it a week (started with 10mg for a few days and now I'm at 20mg) and it has completely taken away my appetite. I have thrown up every day sometimes multiple times a day but I feel great otherwise. Happiness comes a lot easier so I'll deal with the excessive vomiting for a while since I need to lose some weight anyway."

Jess A. April 16, 2012

For Depression "I have been on 40mg Celexa for well over a year. I was put on it after my depression didn't respond to Prozac. It made me tired for the first few weeks and whenever my doctor increased the dose, but that subsides. It does not help much for anxiety for me, but greatly improves my depression."

Anonymous April 13, 2012

For Anxiety and Stress "I have been taking Celexa since December, and it has helped me get rid of my anxiety. I don't know what caused my anxiety to come on exactly, but once I got home from school for semester break I started getting awful anxiety. I was getting very good grades and for the most part I had no worries at all, but I found myself not wanting to hang out with friends, not wanting to eat meals at all, even when it was my favorite food, just wanting to lay around the house and watch TV and try to sleep. Once my doctor put me on Celexa it only took a few days before I became the old me, wanting to go out with friends and doing things I have always enjoyed. I take 10mg daily. As far as side effects go, I haven't had any."

Anonymous April 6, 2012

For Anxiety and Stress "Currently on week 2 of my experience with Celexa to treat generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) and depression. The first couple of days were absolutely terrible due to side effects (nausea, insomnia, headache, flu like symptoms and a huge increase in my depression). Don't know why I had such a severe reaction to the medication right off the bat since I've heard this is one of more tolerant SSRI's in terms of side effects. But after the a few days my system normalized and I'm already starting to feel like myself again. The doctor said it could take up to 4-6 weeks for it to fully be in effect, but I find myself sleeping through the night and waking up with a much more positive attitude and not on edge with anxiety like I had been in the past. So far so good!"

ERrunsit April 6, 2012