User Reviews for Celexa

Depression 200 reviews 75 medications

7.5
Summary of Celexa reviews 373 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Celexa

For Depression: I mainly wanted to talk about withdrawal from this medication. It does work very well for depression. I honestly felt a lot better after being depressed for 4 or 5 years before I sought treatment. Just a warning to those who are considering stopping the medication...please consult your doctor and do it gradually. I stopped taking it and at the end of a 7 day period I felt like I was having a heart attack. My chest wouldn't stop hurting and I felt nauseous and dizzy.

September 25, 2011 9:36 PM

Review by Kimberjo:

For Depression: My son 16 was started on Celexa for depression and anxiety. He has had absolutely no side effects. One month after starting 20 mg his mood was significantly improved. More outgoing, cooperative, less argumentative, decreased anxiety. It is truly amazing. I am a nurse and have to say it was very noticeable. Now that school has started the anxiety and stress have increased so I am seeing a little more mood swings. Of course this is nothing compared to before. He goes to his psychologist regularly and sees his family doctor on a regular basis. Patients must remember that nothing works overnight and therapy is great along with the medication.

September 18, 2011 11:05 PM

Review by Its getting better:

For Depression: I just started taking Celexa 1 week ago. I've been a depressed, sad, sorry person for over 15 years. For some unexplained reason, I was always so low. I began hitting myself around the age of 7 and would give myself nose bleeds. I'm now 28 and my self inflictions are numerous places on my body and my flesh will hang off my muscle. In the 4 times I have been taken to the E.R. not one doctor or hospital therapist has said or done anything to help me understand why. Finally, 1 week ago in the E.R., the physician put me on 20 mg Celexa. I felt really weird the first day. I have loss of appetite, minor headache. NO ANXIETY. Still feel low but I'm set an appointment for therapy. WONDERFUL FEELING! The world is different and not so ugly. I am tired though.

September 14, 2011 11:22 PM

For Depression: I am taking Celexa now for about 2 weeks. My heavy numbness in the morning is still there and not able to function until 2 or 3 in the afternoon. I drink wine in the evening and thought I could stop. Not so. I have to stop the wine and Advil in the evening and maybe I will see a difference.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 12, 2011 1:44 PM

Review by valigirl:

For Trichotillomania: After about 6 weeks of taking Celexa I actually had no urge to pull my hair or eyelashes. After 8 months, all of my eyelashes and hair have grown back. The main side- effect for me is dry mouth. It has given me a break from the horrible suffering caused by this disease. I feel like a human instead of a freak.

September 7, 2011 5:21 PM

Review by littlelisaxss:

For Depression: I have been dealing with clinical depression since I was in kindergarten (I'm 41 now). Have been on and off many different antidepressants over the years (mostly off because of the side effects and some making me feel worse). Therapy never helped. Have been on Celexa 20mg for last month- month 1/2 and it's working very well. I have actually lost 11 lbs being on it because of loss of appetite. The only side effects I don't like is increase headaches and decreased libido. I do still feel sad and alone at times, but not as bad as I used to. I am using Xanax a lot less too.

September 1, 2011 1:07 AM

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I have been taking Celexa due to many stessful events that made my anxiety almost unbearable. Tough financial times, stress at work, 3 miscarriages, being away from family, etc. My list is huge. I was surprised I lasted this long without medicines. I always tried to convince myself that I could control the panic, fear, stress, sad feelings, etc. Exercise helped but I finally decided to get help. I hate the feeling of always being worried, always going to worst case scenarios, feeling out of place, fearful of even driving, unbearable anxiety of trying to conceive again after my traumatic experiences. Anyway, I was prescribed 20mg of Celexa. Going on week 2 and I hope this is my answer. Already feeling better, no side effects except yawning.

August 31, 2011 10:38 PM

Review by Vineyardtechie:

For Depression: I've been on 10mg Celexa for over 11 weeks. Started on 10 mg for a week then 20 mg for a week. Side effects on 20 mg: headaches, confusion, constipation. Now on 10 mg for the balance of Celexa experience. I weigh 162 (lost 5 lbs.) and am 71 yrs. I stopped alcohol (2-3 oz. per night 7 days a week); which may have caused some side effects with the 20 mg and not the cause of Celexa. I still have some headaches, constipation and that's it on side effects. My depression (clinically defined as down, sleep 10 hrs., not much interest in Life, more) has lifted. I may continue to use Celexa and no alcohol for Life, as I have been depressed numerous times. I was primary health caretaker for my chronically ill wife for 11 yrs. She died 12-10-10.

August 30, 2011 3:20 PM

Review by Female/23:

For Anxiety and Stress: I used to be extremely uptight and I am now very laid back, it feels like a dream. If I dig or look for my anxious thoughts, they are gone. I suffered from uncontrollable panic and crying, also extreme nervousness. I can now see things in my life more clearer. I was extremely uptight for the last 5 years and now I am more laid back, I'm sad because I wish I had done this sooner. Lost the love of my life because of my horrible depression and I feel like if I had been on this sooner, I wouldn't have pushed him away with my panicky behavior which I thought was just my personality! We don't choose depression/anxiety, it is a disease. I thought it was "me" for years! Feel a bit guilty about not going on it sooner. I am 23/Female.

238 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 29, 2011 3:25 PM

For Depression: I started Celexa about 5 weeks ago for depression. My depression was pretty serious. I had also just been through a death of a family friend. Also I have insomnia. I started on the 20mg, one per day and immediately felt side effects. Feeling super jittery, major energy, mind racing, uncomfortable in my own skin, rapid heartbeat and loss of appetite. It made me VERY uncomfortable and unsocial. I called my doctor to tell them how I was feeling and he told me to do 10mgs for 2 weeks and then bump up to 20 mgs. The 10 mgs was much more tolerable and I noticed I did start to feel much better and more social and can sleep better at night. I stayed with 10mgs because 20mgs is too strong for me. I feel great now! The side effects have gone away.

August 26, 2011 12:48 PM

Review by JodyMargaret:

For Depression: Celexa has improved my well being and life immensely! I feel like a care bear jumped into my body. Seriously though, on day one I already felt better, not sure if that was the medicine or just my attitude towards starting the regimen. But having a positive attitude definitely helps. It has been a while now and I feel more energetic, I'm sleeping much more normally and I am just plain HAPPY! I used to have extreme mood swings and the smallest thing would set me off. Now I notice things that used to send me in a hissy fit or bad attitude and they make me laugh or I shrug it off. I suggest this medicine. I am terrible usually at adapting to medicines but this one fit right in! I'm going to stop before I start singing "happy happy joy joy".

August 25, 2011 9:39 PM

Review by cant leave house:

For Panic Disorder: 20mg citralopam caused me to have severe anxiety attacks, feel like I cannot relax ever, cannot sleep, I feel dizzy all the time and nauseous, and its given me horrible digestive problems. I have taken Zoloft and Paxil and with good results for years, but started having sexual dysfunction and was switched to citalopram. It stopped my crying spells but I feel like my depression is still there. I just cannot let out my feelings due to this medicine. Only positive is that I can just barely manage to function sexually. I am really surprised to see all these good reviews on here as to how it made others less anxious and more positive and social and even drowsy as it has had the total opposite effect on me.

August 25, 2011 1:34 AM

Review by TIm BOB:

For Anxiety and Stress: The Doctor said it would take 10 days to 2 weeks to kick in, but at day 8 I noticed a real difference. I was on Wellbutrin for several years, and took myself off 2 years ago. But as life happens I need a happy pill again. I was having SEVERE panic attacks, which I had never had before. So glad to have my Doctor prescribe CELEXA, it's so awesome to feel normal again. The only real side effect was yawning for a few weeks. No sexual side effects at all, it's better, because I feel better. So if you are questioning it DON'T for the sake of you and your loved. Try it.

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 14, 2011 12:03 AM

Review by mistakriss:

For Anxiety and Stress: I was prescribed Celexa due to Anxiety, stress and depression. I initially went to the Doctor for insomnia. Went through that for 7-10 weeks. Because I was not sleeping, I started getting panic attacks at night. The Doctor prescribed Ativan for the anxiety and Ambien at night. The Ambien didn't work. So I found myself taking the Ativan only at night which seemed to help a little bit. One night I experienced a horrific panic attack after taking the Ativan. I all of a sudden started crying and just started feeling miserable. I came to realize that I am deeply depressed and I need help. Long story short. Went to the Doctor and after 10 days of being on Celexa, I truly feel better and I am averaging 6-7 hours of sleep where as 11 days ago it was only 3-4 hours.

August 6, 2011 6:29 PM

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I have been taking Celexa, in total for about 5 weeks. My doctor started me at 10mg for a week, then 20mg for a week, then 40mg. I have been taking 40 mg for about 2.5 weeks now. Celexa helped my depression, which was from the anxiety and obssesive compulsive disorder, after about a week. I am also taking Klonopin 0.5mg at night to help me sleep. My doctor said it would take at least 3 weeks maybe as long as 6 weeks on my 40mg to control my severe anxiety and out of nowhere panic attacks. I made the mistake of taking myself off of my Klonopin this past Friday. I have gradually gotten worse since. I am seeing my doctor today but I already know it's because I stopped taking my Klonopin too soon and the Celexa hasn't reached it's full potential yet.

July 27, 2011 3:40 PM

For Anxiety and Stress: Good.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 26, 2011 7:14 PM

Review by Dragonlover:

For Anxiety and Stress: I was put on Celexa last Thursday due to the fact, I had a major anxiety attack while working Wednesday. Felt like I was having a heart attack, but it was anxiety due to some bad news about lay/offs at work and I have a family to provide for. My PCP prescribed me a 10mg dose of Celexa once daily, I take it before I go to bed at night so I do not feel the grogginess and give it time to work through my system during the night. I have been taking it for about 5 days, but I am feeling better already. I know it takes about a week for it to really work in your system but I have a quick reflex system so medicines absorb quicker in me. I have had a few side effects, as far as sex-drive still pretty good. Yawning is sometimes a pain.

July 25, 2011 10:57 AM

Review by Chingona1:

For Depression: I just started Celexa when my doctor put me on it about a week ago. We just couldn't win with my depression and all that entails for major depressive disorder, and I was feeling really depressed at the time. I'm on a low dose but only for about two weeks until we check it out. I've been diagnosed now for about 8 or 9 years, tried LOTS of anti-depressants. Even though I tried to work with them all, as a team me and the medicine, we just couldn't win with it the depression. My side effects of depression are a huge lack of energy, being angry often, usually at the whole world, so much stress and negativity, So much that I will say thanks to everyone who commented. I hope I have a lot to look forward to now based on all of the positive comments about Celexa.

July 23, 2011 12:49 AM

Review by anxiety4yrs:

For Panic Disorder: I was on Lexapro for 6 years before it started to poop out. Besides panic disorder, I have some OCD and I am scared of taken medicine. So, when the doctor wanted me to try Celexa it took three months of therapy and hitting rock bottom before I took it. Well, 5 weeks later things are great. Virtually no panic attacks and it has reduce to obsessive compulsive disorder habits to a minimum. I did have loss of sex drive for the first three weeks, but I am back to normal now and my husband is happy. I was also very scared of gaining more weight. I gained 45 lbs on Lexapro but so far on Celexa I have lost 8 lbs. I hope this medicine never poops out on me.

July 21, 2011 10:47 AM

For Anxiety and Stress: Went on Celexa for anxiety/mild depression. I was very emotional. In less than 3 hours my I eyes became itchy, red and irritated. I tried to stick it out for a week, but I obviously had an allergic reaction. Doctor has me on Lexapro 10 mg, so we'll see how that goes.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 12, 2011 10:27 AM

Review by Samantha C:

For Anxiety and Stress: I have suffered with anxiety since my early 20's. I'm now 27. After the loss of my father it threw me into a depression that I couldn't seem to get out of. I started Celexa 20 mg about 2 weeks ago, the first two days I could tell I was on medicine, I was a little slow, however the 3rd day I felt like a brand new person. I have no depression, anxiety, mood swings. I feel as if everything that I thought consumed my life was over. I had a new approach to dealing with everyday life. I think Celexa saved me. I did lose my appetite but I wanted to lose a few pounds anyways. So another good thing about it and I have occasional dry mouth HOWEVER I feel great. So I'll take it. I recommend this medicine to anyone.

139 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 11, 2011 10:48 AM

For Anxiety and Stress: I wish I wouldn't have waited so long to start Celexa. I am actually enjoying life now, have a sense of humor, and am not filled with worst case scenario thoughts all the time. I would highly recommend it. Some side effects at first, all have subsided.

120 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 8, 2011 2:42 PM

For Depression: I started taking Lexapro 10 mg about to months ago and felt great well my insurance would not cover the Lexapro no more so I got switched to Celexa. WEll I have been on it for two days and it has made me so mean. I am not liking this at all. Anything makes me irritable so I called my MD and am waiting on a phone call back.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 29, 2011 4:29 PM

For Depression: I've only been taking this medicine for about a week and I feel like a zombie. I have no emotion, lack of coordination, sometimes confusion, slurred speech and a constant headache. Hopefully this gets better.

June 24, 2011 9:58 PM

For Depression: It took them 13 years of making me a lab rat for medications, but I finally got to the right dosage of Celexa and my life did a complete 180. I've finally come out of a 43 year fog!

June 15, 2011 11:13 PM