User Reviews for Citalopram

Also known as: Celexa

Learn more about Citalopram.

Severe Mood Dysregulation 0 reviews 0 medications

Vulvodynia 0 reviews 9 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Citalopram reviews 650 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Citalopram

Review by amee11 (taken for less than 1 month):

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: I started taking Celexa a week ago for social anxiety disorder, and I already feel major relief. For the first time, I was social at work and made new friends. I feel happier and can focus on caring about other things and people rather than just myself. I had social anxiety, but I can honestly say that this medicine has worked miracles on me so far, and I'm only on 10mg. This medicine has quite literally saved my life. If you are experiencing depression or anxiety, in my opinion, it's not worth it to keep fighting it without medication. I suffered from social anxiety disorder for 2 years before finally deciding to take it. Now, I wish I had taken it much sooner!

130 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 22, 2012 10:31 AM

Review by cezen (taken for less than 1 month):

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: I was having some marital problems, and was unable to eat, sleep or function. I went to the doctor after a few days and she prescribed Celexa. I've been taking it for 23 days. I suffered from debilitating fatigue and sweats on days 3,4 and 5. On day six I was able to get up on time and be functional. I had a headache for the first 10 days, but now it is not noticeable. I am able to drink coffee and not feel jittery. I still have a low appetite and am losing weight, and my feelings of sexual arousal are numbed. I feel that the edge has been taken off and that I am very level. I feel more patient and objective. I have terrible premenstrual Dysphoria and this past cycle, all my worst symptoms did not appear.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 20, 2012 7:34 PM

Review by lalush (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Panic Disorder: This pill has worked wonders for me. It has stopped my panic attacks and OCD. I recommend it to all those suffering from panic disorder.

December 18, 2012 9:03 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: I took this medication for anxiety and stress for only 2 months. I really did not see any improvement and the side effects were pretty bad. Insomnia, nausea, headaches, felt like my nerve endings had little electrical surges, lethargic, night sweats and zero sex drive.

December 17, 2012 7:55 AM

Review by KC IN THE TC'S:

For Anxiety and Stress: I started taking 20mg Citalopram on 10/24/12 it is 12/12/12 on the day of this review. I have taken it everyday, I choose to take it before I go to bed around 10pm or so, because it makes me feel "different" if I take it during the day. It took about 2-3 weeks before I was able to get off my lorazapam and soley rely on the citalopram. I still get anxiety from time to time but no anxiety attacks since I have been on it! I have pretty bad anxiety from life experiences, and 8 years working inner city Law Enforcement - been shot at several times, seen things that haunt me daily, you get the pic. I have a lot of gratitude for Citalopram. I used lorazepam for about 2 weeks as the Citalopram takes time to work.

December 12, 2012 2:47 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: I was to the point of hurting myself. I got put on citalopram and required counseling. For the first 6 weeks I thought "Wow, I'm doing better". Now I'm back to the same old thing but I've developed another diagnosis, moderate to severe anxiety, it sucks. I am having severe panic attacks. I cry myself to sleep every night.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 10, 2012 10:31 PM

Review by HappyNFlorida:

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: My boyfriend has severe social anxiety and depression, which usually left him isolating for an entire week in a dark depressed mood which happened every 10-12 days or so. He started taking Celexa about a week ago and has been feeling wonderful! He is smiling again and is able to go out and have a great time! And as far as sex goes, he is BETTER than before. So no complaints here. Of course I was concerned with side effects in the first week: nausea, diarrhea, headaches and hallucinations, but that all disappeared after the first week. Now its smooth sailing. Thank God for Celexa.

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 9, 2012 2:23 PM

Review by 100% improvement (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: I was having quite a bit of stress that was job related. I was put on 10mg a day and this dose works great for me. I experienced yawning, more frequent urination and dry mouth in the beginning. I cannot say enough about this medicine. It has helped me immensely with very few side effects. I have had some difficulty reaching orgasm but do not have any issues with libido. I feel anyone dealing with depression/anxiety should give this medicine a shot. I myself read the reviews and was so optimistic that it would do wonders for me like it did for many others after I had done my homework. I consider this to be a miracle.

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 8, 2012 11:58 PM

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: I started taking this medication about 2 months ago for depression and uncontrollable anger issues, both have ceased. I have mild side effects with this medicine, the most notable would be a persistent sore throat, not sure if anyone else is experiencing this, so your input would be appreciated. I'm thankful that there is actually something out there to help with these issues, so far so good and I highly recommend this for anyone looking for relief of anxiety

December 8, 2012 1:33 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: I suffered from depression for about 3 years after a bad breakup that caused me to have low self esteem. I lost myself and didn't know who I was anymore and became suicidal. After that I knew I needed help. I'm now on Celexa, I don't stress like I used to. I'm just a happier person I never have suicidal thoughts anymore. I'm not 100% yet but I way better than before. I'm about to graduate college in 2 weeks and I feel like I have a purpose now. Celexa saved life.

December 5, 2012 9:53 PM

Review by Ewey (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: I took 10mg Celexa (increased to 20mg) for a year after experiencing panic attacks and generalized anxiety for 3 years. My anxiety affected my stomach the worst, I'd have trouble eating anything without getting a stomach ache or diarrhea. It's as if all the butterflies in my stomach ate my food for me. After taking Celexa my anxiety disappeared completely and my stomach went back to normal. However, I stopped taking it due to the side effects. I had no more sex drive, and had difficulty feeling any emotions, or at least to the extent I felt them before. I felt foggy and not myself. Soon as I went off it I had panic attacks again but felt more clear.

December 5, 2012 4:29 PM

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: This medicine is wonderful. I never believed in taking anti depressants because I didn't want to become dependent on them. I've taken Zoloft ... I had real bad constipation and it worsened my depression. Celexa has done it for me. I had postpartum depression and went through a terrible break up with my fiance and have been able to cope very well with everything that has gone on in my life. I would recommend this medicine to anyone.

December 4, 2012 8:49 PM

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: I am 46 years old and remember being 5 years old with something just not right in my head. In my late teens I was really suicidal! I had counseling for seven years and tried a couple of different medications. I felt good, but had side effects that made me quit taking them. Two weeks ago I had a severe bout with depression, that affected me and the ones closest to me. I had been trying to figure out what was wrong with me for forty years and could not find a answer. After opening up to family I found out nine of us were struggling with depression. My nephew told me to try Celexa because it had changed his life for the better. I now have been on it for one week and am beginning to get my life back!

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 3, 2012 1:16 PM

For Depression: I had been hesitant about taking an SSRI but my anxiety & depression had begun to take over my life. I realized that I needed to take control of my emotions in order to improve my life and therapy alone was not cutting it. The first 2 weeks were tough. I was yawning CONSTANTLY and just plain exhausted. Now, 1 month later at 20mg I feel AMAZING. A weight has been lifted off of my shoulders & I am HAPPY. I don't get stressed & my anxiety is gone. The only negative is that I have gained 5lbs. I DEFINITELY recommend citalopram to anyone who struggles with generalized anxiety disorder and depression.

December 1, 2012 11:51 PM

For Anxiety and Stress: I finally went to the doctors in February after a combination of events (health worries, loss of a close friend and problems with teenage daughter) flipped me over to a point where I really didn't want to wake up next morning. She initially prescribed me 20mg of Citalopram daily. At first I had headaches but after about a week I suddenly felt a LOT better in myself, much more calm and it was as though the tablets had 'smoothed' me out and got rid of the stress I used to feel about minor things. My doctor has been brilliant in not just leaving me on them but reviewing me every 6 weeks and gradually we have reduced my dosage to 10mg daily. I still feel great and am hopeful of reducing the dosage further over time.

November 29, 2012 3:29 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Celexa (citalopram) for Postpartum Depression: I began to feel better almost immediately- within 4 days I could really tell a difference in my stress level and more overall depression. I feel much better, and I am thankful I that I decided to seek help. This has not solved all my problems, but it put me in a frame of mind to be able to deal with them rather than feel out of control and hopeless. Best decision I could have made not only for myself, but my family. the only side effect that I have experienced is difficulty reaching orgasm. But honestly it has helped me so much, I am more than willing to live with this than go back to the way I was before.

November 28, 2012 4:06 PM

Review by jimbeem (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Depression: After severe bouts of anger and depression I turned to my physician and a therapist. My physician put me on Citalopram and when my mind started to clear I was in shock at what I had been living in for many years. My therapist helped me to define where I was and what I needed to do to move forward. I am now afraid to be without Citalopram as I never want to return to my old state of mind.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 27, 2012 6:38 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety and Stress: I was prescribed citalopram (20 mg) for anxiety. When I first started taking it there were some side effects: excessive yawning, drowsiness, increased anxiety, nausea, decreased appetite. However it's been a little over a week now and these have pretty much subsided, aside from still being a bit drowsy. As far as its effectiveness, I wouldn't say that my anxiety is completely cured but overall I've felt like I've been in a better mood and state of mind, happier. And I do feel that my anxiety has gotten better although definitely not 100 percent. I'm going to give it a bit longer as they say the medicine could take a few weeks to fully work. Overall though I'd say I'm happy with it so far.

November 24, 2012 7:23 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: Was on Citalopram for 1 month then asked my doctor to change. During the first 2 weeks I was getting an average of 3 hours sleep a night. Bed at 11pm, wake up at 2am, 3am, 4am, 5am, 6am, give in & get up at 7am. Was completely devoid of emotions. Lost all focus, motivation, attention-span, was so much worse than before diagnosis & prescription. Second 2 weeks I was given sleeping pills so I was sleeping 7-8 hours a night, but being 24 yrs old I refused to be dependent on sleeping pills and anti-depressants. Have now been on Mitrazapine just over a week, was like a light switch. Now sleeping easily between 10-12 hours/night. Emotions are back but as unpredictable as they were before diagnosis. Will wait and see.

November 22, 2012 2:32 PM

Review by Inked up girl (taken for less than 1 month):

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: I love Celexa. It gave me my rockstar attitude back! Felt it after first dose, I smiled for the first time in 6 months! So thankful I finally got the nerve to try it after being scared due to side effects and horror stories, and yay no bad side effects at all!

91 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 19, 2012 11:00 PM

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: I started out liking Celexa because it calmed me down I had way fewer temper tantrums. But now after three months I am tired all the time and I've gained a ton of weight despite constant exercise and even dieting more. Other friends of mine lost weight on it, unfortunately all bodies are different and mine did not respond so positively. I'm calling my doctor tomorrow to try Wellbutrin.

November 18, 2012 4:09 PM

Review by PistolpackingMama (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: I was on Lexapro 20mg while I was caregiver for my Mom and Brother for 10 years. They both passed away and I decided to go off of the Lexapro so weaned off.. WRONG thing to do! I hit a low and was so depressed I became suicidal. I missed them both terribly and felt so empty. MY Doctor put me on Citalopram 10 mg and within a few days I could feel the difference again. I have been on it for over a month and am on 20 mg. Finally I am able to go out and meet people again and handle my depression. The only bad thing from both meds is my lack of sexual desire. I am 67 but am not dead so would like to be able to make love with my hubby. But if that has to be given up to keep my sanity and our home peaceful again then it is worth it to both of us.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 15, 2012 2:38 PM

Review by AndriaBrossmer (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: The medication was easy to use and helped improved my mood slightly. Changing medications was not hard either.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 12, 2012 8:05 PM

Review by Stella bella:

For Depression: I was saved by this medicine. My depression was strong enough and lasting about 2 years by that time. The reason- I couldn't conceive although was eager to get a baby finally. We both were checked and diagnosed healthy. So I was really devastated when I had to start using Citalopram. I felt the effect very fast, within first days: the quality of my life changed for best. I finally felt simply normal. Nothing extra positive, just NORMAL as years ago when I coped with my life. It was exactly what I needed. And 1,5 month later I got pregnant and stopped using it. No effects from stopping, because the reason caused depression disappeared.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 6, 2012 8:52 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: Was put on this for depression/anxiety and it was a disaster! About 40 minutes after I took it I started to feel very nauseous and had bad diarrhea. I also felt very hot and had a lot of anxiety (more anxiety than I had in the first place). Later on I noticed it made me yawn quite a bit, and each time I yawned my jaw would stay clenched for a couple of seconds before it would relax again. I only took it for one day, and almost 2 days later I am still having some nausea, yawning and burping a lot. According to the other reviews, it seems like it either works for you or it doesn't. I am obviously not one of the people it works for!

November 4, 2012 1:03 AM