User Reviews for Citalopram

Also known as: Celexa

Learn more about Citalopram.

Severe Mood Dysregulation 0 reviews 0 medications

Vulvodynia 0 reviews 9 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Citalopram reviews 657 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Citalopram

Review by content64 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Depression: I have been on this medicine for over 3 years and it has helped me greatly with life moving situations. I was done with my prescription and didn't call my Dr thinking I was totally fine now after a couple years. Well, within weeks, maybe days, (my thinking was blurred because of my emotions) I cried at everything, became upset easily, overly sensitive etc. I told my Dr and found out you are not supposed to stop cold turkey. I said well I'm happy now, I have been through a lot but I have come out better so why am I feeling like this still? We talked and decided I needed to stay on it....indefinitely. I don't care, as long as I stay this happy and grounded!

January 14, 2013 10:36 PM

Review by Female 46:

For Anxiety and Stress: I have been taking citalopram for 6 weeks now. 10mg for anxiety and panic attacks. Side effects yawning, sweats, increased anxiety. I was VERY scared to start taking them. I had them for 4 months before I plucked up the courage. I take in the morning. Only just starting to see an improvement in the anxiety. Haven't had a panic attack since starting the meds. This is the first medicine I have ever taken. I have an appointment at docs next week when I think he will increase dose to 20mg which is normal dose. My anxiety is severe. The week before I began the meds I couldn't leave the house. This last week I have been shopping, cinema, hair salon. Still having trouble sleeping. All other side effects only lasted 10 days. I am happy to be on them.

January 11, 2013 7:24 PM

Review by Day 1 (taken for less than 1 month):

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: On Day 1. Felt a little out of it but some how relaxed. I've yawned most of the day and woke up promptly after 8 hours of sleep. Glad I will be able to make it to work on time. A little ringing in the ears. Otherwise so far so good. I've been afraid of SSRIs for sometime now. Had a manic spell with Effexor (SNRI) a few years back. Doc ramped me up on Lamictal first just in case. Doxepin to sleep as needed.

January 6, 2013 10:36 PM

Review by Turnerc:

For Anxiety and Stress: Thank goodness for this medication. I starting having anxiety and panic attacks. I did not want to take any medication but it got to the point where I had no choice. I was put on this medication and it did NOT start working for me until 5 weeks or so. Longest 5 weeks of my life. Headaches, anxiety worsened, nausea, I had horrible sweats in the middle of the night BUT I stuck with it like my doctor insisted! I'm so thankful I did. It's been 4 months and I have my life back. Feels great. I still get mild headaches a bit too often but I'll take that over anxiety any day. If you are JUST starting out wait at least 5-8 weeks.

January 4, 2013 3:45 AM

Review by amgnzls (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: I have suffered from anxiety/depression since I was a teenager. I have tried various medications, but I have never stayed on anything too long because they always made me feel like a zombie or the side effects were worse than the symptoms. Celexa really gave me my life back. My racing thoughts and manic mood swings are long forgotten. I have never had any side effects while taking Celexa, but when I stop taking it (i.e. waiting for refill prescription), I crash pretty hard. I can't sleep, have HORRIBLE restless leg syndrome (which I use to swear was made up), and anxiety 10 fold. Other than that, its amazing, and it completely gives me back my normal self.

98 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 2, 2013 1:06 AM

Review by Postpard (taken for less than 1 month):

For Postpartum Depression: I have a 6 month old old & history of anxiety. Had strong baby blues post c-section; postpartum depression followed. Struggled on my own for months but upon trying to return to work fell hard into depression. Doc put me on 10mg Citalopram. Day 4 right now- can't say whether its effective yet as I know its weeks and or months before we can conclusively say. Have had strong side effects though: very sore stomach, racing heart, break into sweat, dry mouth & insomnia. I take pills at night as I was forewarned about the drowsiness. Willing to try this for longer though despite side effects which are likely short term. Ten years ago was on Zoloft and another antidepressant with poor results.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 27, 2012 4:16 AM

Review by Chris1122 (taken for less than 1 month):

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: I am a 32 year old man, and for more than 17 years I have battled depression. Had been living with depression so long that I could recognize the beginning symptom and would try to mentally prepare myself for the storm that was sure to follow. After being hospitalized, I eventually found myself before a Psych. Doctor. I was afraid and kind of ashamed. Depression set in again. TO MAKE A LONG STORY SHORT: I have been taking Celexa for 4 days now, and I'm all smiles. I still experience all my emotions, but life finally feels bearable and not as heavy. Thank you Celexa!

110 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 26, 2012 10:49 PM

Review by amee11 (taken for less than 1 month):

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: I started taking Celexa a week ago for social anxiety disorder, and I already feel major relief. For the first time, I was social at work and made new friends. I feel happier and can focus on caring about other things and people rather than just myself. I had social anxiety, but I can honestly say that this medicine has worked miracles on me so far, and I'm only on 10mg. This medicine has quite literally saved my life. If you are experiencing depression or anxiety, in my opinion, it's not worth it to keep fighting it without medication. I suffered from social anxiety disorder for 2 years before finally deciding to take it. Now, I wish I had taken it much sooner!

131 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 22, 2012 10:31 AM

Review by cezen (taken for less than 1 month):

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: I was having some marital problems, and was unable to eat, sleep or function. I went to the doctor after a few days and she prescribed Celexa. I've been taking it for 23 days. I suffered from debilitating fatigue and sweats on days 3,4 and 5. On day six I was able to get up on time and be functional. I had a headache for the first 10 days, but now it is not noticeable. I am able to drink coffee and not feel jittery. I still have a low appetite and am losing weight, and my feelings of sexual arousal are numbed. I feel that the edge has been taken off and that I am very level. I feel more patient and objective. I have terrible premenstrual Dysphoria and this past cycle, all my worst symptoms did not appear.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 20, 2012 7:34 PM

Review by lalush (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Panic Disorder: This pill has worked wonders for me. It has stopped my panic attacks and OCD. I recommend it to all those suffering from panic disorder.

December 18, 2012 9:03 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: I took this medication for anxiety and stress for only 2 months. I really did not see any improvement and the side effects were pretty bad. Insomnia, nausea, headaches, felt like my nerve endings had little electrical surges, lethargic, night sweats and zero sex drive.

December 17, 2012 7:55 AM

Review by KC IN THE TC'S:

For Anxiety and Stress: I started taking 20mg Citalopram on 10/24/12 it is 12/12/12 on the day of this review. I have taken it everyday, I choose to take it before I go to bed around 10pm or so, because it makes me feel "different" if I take it during the day. It took about 2-3 weeks before I was able to get off my lorazapam and soley rely on the citalopram. I still get anxiety from time to time but no anxiety attacks since I have been on it! I have pretty bad anxiety from life experiences, and 8 years working inner city Law Enforcement - been shot at several times, seen things that haunt me daily, you get the pic. I have a lot of gratitude for Citalopram. I used lorazepam for about 2 weeks as the Citalopram takes time to work.

December 12, 2012 2:47 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: I was to the point of hurting myself. I got put on citalopram and required counseling. For the first 6 weeks I thought "Wow, I'm doing better". Now I'm back to the same old thing but I've developed another diagnosis, moderate to severe anxiety, it sucks. I am having severe panic attacks. I cry myself to sleep every night.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 10, 2012 10:31 PM

Review by HappyNFlorida:

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: My boyfriend has severe social anxiety and depression, which usually left him isolating for an entire week in a dark depressed mood which happened every 10-12 days or so. He started taking Celexa about a week ago and has been feeling wonderful! He is smiling again and is able to go out and have a great time! And as far as sex goes, he is BETTER than before. So no complaints here. Of course I was concerned with side effects in the first week: nausea, diarrhea, headaches and hallucinations, but that all disappeared after the first week. Now its smooth sailing. Thank God for Celexa.

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 9, 2012 2:23 PM

Review by 100% improvement (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: I was having quite a bit of stress that was job related. I was put on 10mg a day and this dose works great for me. I experienced yawning, more frequent urination and dry mouth in the beginning. I cannot say enough about this medicine. It has helped me immensely with very few side effects. I have had some difficulty reaching orgasm but do not have any issues with libido. I feel anyone dealing with depression/anxiety should give this medicine a shot. I myself read the reviews and was so optimistic that it would do wonders for me like it did for many others after I had done my homework. I consider this to be a miracle.

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 8, 2012 11:58 PM

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: I started taking this medication about 2 months ago for depression and uncontrollable anger issues, both have ceased. I have mild side effects with this medicine, the most notable would be a persistent sore throat, not sure if anyone else is experiencing this, so your input would be appreciated. I'm thankful that there is actually something out there to help with these issues, so far so good and I highly recommend this for anyone looking for relief of anxiety

December 8, 2012 1:33 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: I suffered from depression for about 3 years after a bad breakup that caused me to have low self esteem. I lost myself and didn't know who I was anymore and became suicidal. After that I knew I needed help. I'm now on Celexa, I don't stress like I used to. I'm just a happier person I never have suicidal thoughts anymore. I'm not 100% yet but I way better than before. I'm about to graduate college in 2 weeks and I feel like I have a purpose now. Celexa saved life.

December 5, 2012 9:53 PM

Review by Ewey (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: I took 10mg Celexa (increased to 20mg) for a year after experiencing panic attacks and generalized anxiety for 3 years. My anxiety affected my stomach the worst, I'd have trouble eating anything without getting a stomach ache or diarrhea. It's as if all the butterflies in my stomach ate my food for me. After taking Celexa my anxiety disappeared completely and my stomach went back to normal. However, I stopped taking it due to the side effects. I had no more sex drive, and had difficulty feeling any emotions, or at least to the extent I felt them before. I felt foggy and not myself. Soon as I went off it I had panic attacks again but felt more clear.

December 5, 2012 4:29 PM

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: This medicine is wonderful. I never believed in taking anti depressants because I didn't want to become dependent on them. I've taken Zoloft ... I had real bad constipation and it worsened my depression. Celexa has done it for me. I had postpartum depression and went through a terrible break up with my fiance and have been able to cope very well with everything that has gone on in my life. I would recommend this medicine to anyone.

December 4, 2012 8:49 PM

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: I am 46 years old and remember being 5 years old with something just not right in my head. In my late teens I was really suicidal! I had counseling for seven years and tried a couple of different medications. I felt good, but had side effects that made me quit taking them. Two weeks ago I had a severe bout with depression, that affected me and the ones closest to me. I had been trying to figure out what was wrong with me for forty years and could not find a answer. After opening up to family I found out nine of us were struggling with depression. My nephew told me to try Celexa because it had changed his life for the better. I now have been on it for one week and am beginning to get my life back!

December 3, 2012 1:16 PM

For Depression: I had been hesitant about taking an SSRI but my anxiety & depression had begun to take over my life. I realized that I needed to take control of my emotions in order to improve my life and therapy alone was not cutting it. The first 2 weeks were tough. I was yawning CONSTANTLY and just plain exhausted. Now, 1 month later at 20mg I feel AMAZING. A weight has been lifted off of my shoulders & I am HAPPY. I don't get stressed & my anxiety is gone. The only negative is that I have gained 5lbs. I DEFINITELY recommend citalopram to anyone who struggles with generalized anxiety disorder and depression.

December 1, 2012 11:51 PM

For Anxiety and Stress: I finally went to the doctors in February after a combination of events (health worries, loss of a close friend and problems with teenage daughter) flipped me over to a point where I really didn't want to wake up next morning. She initially prescribed me 20mg of Citalopram daily. At first I had headaches but after about a week I suddenly felt a LOT better in myself, much more calm and it was as though the tablets had 'smoothed' me out and got rid of the stress I used to feel about minor things. My doctor has been brilliant in not just leaving me on them but reviewing me every 6 weeks and gradually we have reduced my dosage to 10mg daily. I still feel great and am hopeful of reducing the dosage further over time.

November 29, 2012 3:29 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Celexa (citalopram) for Postpartum Depression: I began to feel better almost immediately- within 4 days I could really tell a difference in my stress level and more overall depression. I feel much better, and I am thankful I that I decided to seek help. This has not solved all my problems, but it put me in a frame of mind to be able to deal with them rather than feel out of control and hopeless. Best decision I could have made not only for myself, but my family. the only side effect that I have experienced is difficulty reaching orgasm. But honestly it has helped me so much, I am more than willing to live with this than go back to the way I was before.

November 28, 2012 4:06 PM

Review by jimbeem (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Depression: After severe bouts of anger and depression I turned to my physician and a therapist. My physician put me on Citalopram and when my mind started to clear I was in shock at what I had been living in for many years. My therapist helped me to define where I was and what I needed to do to move forward. I am now afraid to be without Citalopram as I never want to return to my old state of mind.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 27, 2012 6:38 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety and Stress: I was prescribed citalopram (20 mg) for anxiety. When I first started taking it there were some side effects: excessive yawning, drowsiness, increased anxiety, nausea, decreased appetite. However it's been a little over a week now and these have pretty much subsided, aside from still being a bit drowsy. As far as its effectiveness, I wouldn't say that my anxiety is completely cured but overall I've felt like I've been in a better mood and state of mind, happier. And I do feel that my anxiety has gotten better although definitely not 100 percent. I'm going to give it a bit longer as they say the medicine could take a few weeks to fully work. Overall though I'd say I'm happy with it so far.

November 24, 2012 7:23 AM