User Reviews for Citalopram

Also known as: Celexa

Learn more about Citalopram.

Severe Mood Dysregulation 0 reviews 0 medications

Vulvodynia 0 reviews 9 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Citalopram reviews 620 reviews 7.8

Reviews for Citalopram

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: I used to take Celexa when I was very young, and just started it back up today, and I know generally it takes 2-4 weeks to see any real results but let me just say even after only 1 day I can already feel a slight difference. I feel a lot more mellowed out. It may be the placebo effect (me thinking I feel better because I know I took something) but I do feel a bit more calm than usual. I did experience some drowsiness and a little bit of dizziness but it didn't exceed any more worse than that, and it didn't last long. I would definitely recommend this medicine to someone suffering anxiety and depression.

September 23, 2012 12:10 AM
Review by positive one (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: Celexa has turned my life completely around. I have always worried excessively about everything. I couldn't enjoy things because I worried about every little detail that could go wrong! I have been on Celexa for 4 years and I wish I had known about it long, long ago. I enjoy everything in my life and only worry if its a life or death matter. I take 20 mg a day.

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 22, 2012 3:51 PM
Review by TheInsuranceGirl (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

citalopram for Anxiety and Stress: I was on Cymbalta for years, but my insurance stopped paying for it. I have a high stress job and it got so bad that I couldn't focus at work and when Sunday night came, I started tensing up and started having panic attacks again and would wake up in the middle of the night with them. I started taking 20mg Citolopram for about a month and it was working great, but before 24 hours was up to take my next dose, I started having break-throughs and now on 40mg daily. Just started with the higher dose today; we'll see how it goes.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 22, 2012 12:41 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: Helps my depression very well. Keeps me leveled out. Calms me down.

September 20, 2012 9:23 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

citalopram for Depression: I was hesitant to take an anti-depresssant because I thought I should be able to handle my emotions without help. Now I wonder why on earth I waited so long! I've been taking citalopram for a little over a month now and it has changed my life for the better. No more suicidal thoughts. No more bone-crushing fatigue. I've reconnected with friends. I am out doing things and having fun. It feels like a miracle to wake up every morning and feel good about life instead of opening my eyes first thing and thinking, "My life is over. I have nothing left to live for." I had some mild side effects for the first week but I also had immediate relief from my depression and negativity the first week. All of the side effects are gone now.

September 20, 2012 2:35 PM
Review by Jaffa90 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

citalopram for Anxiety and Stress: I've been on citalopram for about 8 weeks. The first 4 weeks I was on 10mg and I could notice a difference in myself but felt I needed a stronger dose because my anxiety was still there. I've been taking 20mg which is much better. I feel calmer and don't get as anxious as I was. The reason for going on this medicine is because I started getting anxiety before leaving the house. I started getting obsessive about making sure plug sockets were switched off and the cooker was off. I struggled with social situations and I used to panic before leaving the house for work which would upset my stomach. I did suffer some side effects with this to begin with: Very tired yawning a lot. Low sex drive (failure to orgasm) Loss of appetite.

September 19, 2012 4:33 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: I used to have mild panic attacks, was always depressed, and just felt like I had the world on my back all the time. My doctor prescribed me 20mg of citalopram and it works good. My side affects are I'm usually tired throughout the day, I get the shakes on and off, consistent yawning, skin itches a little and a bit of a bowel problem. Other than that, I have found my moods to be much better, my depression is not as bad and I'm more up beat. Definitely, would recommend.

September 12, 2012 11:49 PM
Review by Pilgrim 1 (taken for 10 years or more):

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: I've been taking Celexa for years. It all began when I hit menopause and with a high stress job, I felt my feelings & life was spiraling out of control. Every action seemed so intense. This little pill took the edge off the pain and desperate feelings and brought me back to my old content happy self.

September 6, 2012 2:15 PM
Review by Alyd77 (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: I was a little nervous about being put on an antidepressant for my anxiety but it couldn't be better. I could feel the difference very quickly. I am very calm and relaxed now. It made such a big difference that I even quit smoking 3 months after starting to take it.

September 4, 2012 11:24 PM
Review by rsp612: User Rating:

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: Started taking Celexa on August 14th. Within 2 days I broke out in hives on my collar bone then within a week I had severe hives on my arms and spreading. Within a couple of days I had hives on my legs and back. Dr. didn't think it was the Celexa so continued it and ended up in the emergency room with worse side effects vomiting! Emergency room declared I had a severe allergic reaction to Celexa.

August 27, 2012 1:55 PM
Review by sarinana (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

citalopram for Panic Disorder: I have developed panic attacks and anxiety almost a year ago and been put on 50mg of sertraline first which did a good job at stopping my panic attacks, however I had plenty of side effects so my GP changed sertraline into 10mg of citalopram which has been wonderful for me. I still feel anxious every now and then but nothing I couldn't handle. And no side effects at all.

August 20, 2012 11:13 AM
Review by Tet530 (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: Been using Celexa for six months. Doctor switched me from Lexapro to Celexa and glad he did. My anxiety and overall mood has changed dramatically. Only side effect I have is terrible insomnia, but very low anxiety. It is worth it.

August 19, 2012 12:42 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

citalopram for Anxiety and Stress: I have been dealing with depression and anxiety for at least 15 years. I was always completely resistant to medication. I felt like it was a crutch. I should be able to be normal without having to depend on a medication. I'm starting on the fourth week of Citalopram. I felt a difference in the first week, although I was simultaneously going down a step on the patch as well. So I was extremely irritated. After that week though I have noticed that it has made me feel normal and in those times when I would've spiraled downward it has helped me come back to normal SO much faster. Where I might have been anxious and depressed over a meeting for a week, I was feeling better within the same day. Everything doesn't seem so hopeless.

August 18, 2012 8:45 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

citalopram for Anxiety and Stress: I started having anxiety in April 2012 and after trying Lexapro which started giving me panic attacks (side effect) I stopped taking that and started Celexa (generic brand) 33 days ago. The first 2 weeks I had horrible nausea. I was very, very sleepy and dizzy occasionally with my anxiety worse then ever. After more than 3 weeks. I have had none of those symptoms besides being more tired then I should be. My anxiety is also GONE! Haven't had any panic attacks. The only downfall now is horrible headaches. I'm going to stick with this because it seems to be working & headed in the right direction.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
August 18, 2012 3:04 AM
Review by Navehangel: User Rating:

Celexa (citalopram) for Postpartum Depression: I was struggling depression for 19 years. I always held everything in and never told anyone, so I've tried to hurt myself a couple times. Finally 4 weeks ago I admitted myself to a hospital and they sent me to a mental health place where I stayed for 2 weeks and was put on Celexa. I was scared to get on but knew I had to do something and I am so glade I did. I feel like a whole new person without the stress and wondering where my life's going. Thank you Celexa. Now hopefully I can get insurance and stay on it.

August 14, 2012 3:57 PM
Review by mz. drea (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

citalopram for Depression: My experience has been good. When I first started taking the medication, I did feel suicidal and extremely depressed. I pulled myself off of it after 2 days. I had a nervous breakdown, lost it for a couple days. But after about a week I started to take the pill again and it has been wonderful. I only take 10mg, and was told to up it to 20mg if I didn't see improvement, but don't feel the need to. The only thing I hate is that I still have an extremely high sex drive, but am unable to achieve an orgasm.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
August 7, 2012 11:21 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: I also suffer from mild post traumatic stress disorder due to multiple miscarriages. At work and in my personal life I was very irritable - 0-50 in 2 seconds. I thought it was just who I am, until a minor situation happened at work. It opened my eyes, but I was devastated to hear from my doctor that I had to take medication. I felt like a failure. I started out with 20 mg/day, and by the fourth week a miracle happened. I felt "normal" - I started to worry about the things I should worry about, and all the little things did not matter at all. After taking it for 3 months, at times I found my mood to be irritable, so I'm now taking 30 mg/day and have not felt better.

August 7, 2012 9:06 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

citalopram for Depression: I took it due to depression and obsessive%u2013compulsive disorder. I am not quite sure if it is the solution to my problems. It makes me feel apathic (30 mg/day) and has some initial side effects such as thirst, loss of sexual interest and fatigue. It took weeks and months to feel the positive effects, so I am not sure if these can be related to the medicine itself. What merely helped me cope with my disease was psychotherapy (by myself and my therapist). This means that I looked for more information about my disease and its origins and tried to understand it.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
July 31, 2012 4:22 PM
Review by Cynthia(: (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: My panic attacks used to be so severe in the same year that I experienced them, that I was almost rushed to the hospital because my family was worried. My heart would pound so fast and hard. I literally thought it was going to explode. By my heart beating uncontrollably for panicking, my chest would hurt a lot and I would get so dizzy and lightheaded. After a year and a half of the horrible random attacks, I was prescribed Celexa and my life has been amazing. I no longer have worries and in the 2 months that I have been on it, I have not had 1 attack since. I highly recommend Celexa to those who experience panic / anxiety attacks.

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
July 28, 2012 5:42 PM
Review by Yoshigirl (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

citalopram for Anxiety and Stress: Takes the edge off, helped me a lot with not making myself sick over every minute detail of everyday living. Only downside is I've gained over 20 lbs in the 3 yrs I've been on it. Better off fat & happy, than thin & crazy, I keep telling myself!

July 27, 2012 5:20 PM
Review by BetterNFL (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: I've suffered from a level of anxiety for most of my life, but last year my husband lost his job. And, while that was a bad turn for us, my reaction to it was quite out of proportion. I was a crying, anxiety-ridden mess - just struggled to make it through my workday and felt completely unglued and out of control. It was the final straw and my doctor prepared Celexa. I was nauseated the first 2 weeks and then suddenly one day I wasn't and it's been smooth sailing from there on out. I do have less interest in sex - a down side and I am sleepy more than I'd like. But, it is overall worth it - plus. God bless whoever made this medicine. It has been a life-saver for me.

July 26, 2012 3:41 PM
Review by cured88 (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: Took this for social anxiety. After about a month on the pill my anxiety was gone. However, there were some side effects that I didn't like. My sexual functions (male) were completely gone which scared me. But after a couple months on the pill I could get by...but it's never as good on the pill as it is off the pill. Also I ground my teeth at night a LOT. I gained weight too...but that could be because I ate terribly, so we'll call that my fault. After a year on this pill, I stopped taking it. Having my social anxiety gone while on the pill built up my confidence a lot, and now I do fine in social situations with no pill needed. I recommend this pill for social anxiety.

July 22, 2012 4:41 PM
Review by JLV: User Rating:

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: Celexa was working for me the first month or 2. Now I am back crying and hating myself again everyday. I'm currently on 40 mg which is no longer working for me. I guess I need something better and stronger.

July 22, 2012 8:14 AM
Review by The Dragon (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: I was feeling very moody, having rapid Highs and Lows. My boyfriend called this "The Dragon" . I reviewed this website and read the reviews to which best medication would be right before I spoke with a doctor. I was prescribed Celexa by my doctor and have now been on the medication for about 4 weeks now. I have noticed that my exaggerated mood swings are not as extreme. I can let more things just roll off my back rather than dwelling on the negative perspective. This medicine has been very helpful to me. Not many side effects, just nausea and sex drive suppressed. All together losing a little weight is worth the steadiness of my moods.

July 19, 2012 11:49 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: In 2003 I started on (brand name) Celexa 5 mg a day for anxiety and depression. Within a week I started to feel almost a magical feeling of well being and a nice calmness within myself. The world looking brighter and so much better. For once in my life I felt that the hole in my soul was healing. No more anxiousness and crying most of the time and no more waves of horrible emotional pain. I gradually worked up to 10 mgs a day and now I am on 20 mgs a day. I did have a headache, nausea and loss of appetite. They went away. I gained weight but was feeling so much better. I tried generic Celexa for almost 1 month and I felt irritable-like a dark cloud descended upon me. It is not the same as the Brand.

July 18, 2012 6:51 AM