User Reviews for Citalopram

Also known as: Celexa

Learn more about Citalopram.

Severe Mood Dysregulation 0 reviews 0 medications

Vulvodynia 0 reviews 9 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Citalopram reviews 687 reviews 7.8

Reviews for Citalopram

Review by Kelly M. (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: Celexa has given me my life back! I suffered from severe anxiety and depression to the point where I would just lay in bed for days. I didn't want to go anywhere, and cancelled plans with friends all the time just to stay home and sleep. It took about a month to work and now I feel great! I am back to my old self - I love going out, seeing friends, exercising, reading, everything I used to do and I'm happier than ever! My only side effects were the first 2 weeks - anxiety was worse, insomnia, no appetite. That's gone now and I have no complaints. If I take it in the morning, I sleep well. If I take it at night, I can't sleep. You just have to learn what's best for you!

210 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 17, 2013 11:45 PM

Review by sfncs03 (taken for less than 1 month):

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: I was put on a combination of Celexa 20mg and Xanax. I have never reacted to any medication like I reacted to these. They definitely overpowered me. Within 3 weeks I started to have suicidal thoughts and feelings. I stopped the Celexa and continued the Xanax. I quickly saw improvement. I'm sad that this didn't work for me. I was hoping to finally find a regimen.

April 8, 2013 8:32 PM

Review by beok (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: I have suffered with depression and anxiety for the past five years. Gained almost 100lbs due to emotional eating and no energy to work out. I have tried Zoloft and Paxil and I stopped because I felt numb. Not depressed anymore but not happy or even content.....just numb. Just a month ago I started taking 10mg of Celexa and I finally feel like my old self. Suddenly I'm interested in things again and I'm not suffering from negative thoughts racing in my brain. I am hopeful and I have confidence that I can handle situations like I used to. I hated leaving my house, almost as much as I hated being left alone with my children. Now all is calm.

154 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 5, 2013 6:32 PM

Review by kt538 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: I've been on this medication for several months. There has been a definite change in my depression and mood. I don't feel as sad and upset or anxious but I don't feel as good as before I was depressed. Still hoping for the old me! But I'm at least on my way, closer than ever before.

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 4, 2013 10:52 PM

Review by Dolphin6789 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Made me feel really numb emotionally as well as sexually... I felt like I couldn't cry or be anxious anymore but I couldn't laugh, really be happy or feel passion for life anymore. Please be careful if you decide to go off this medication as you will probably feel strange electrical-like buzzy feelings in your brain as I did. They last a few days but were every unnerving and I sometimes felt like I was going to pass out.. So be sure you don't go cold turkey. It did work for me in that it gave me a break from my obsessions, sadness, worries. And it did so for a long time.

March 25, 2013 10:52 PM

Review by Gina456:

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: I have been on this medication for 3 days and what a difference it has made. I am on 10mg and I have tried 3 other antidepressants and they made me feel like a zombie and could not function. What a great antidepressant, I have more energy, everything seems normal. I feel like my old self- 15 years ago.

109 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 24, 2013 11:10 AM

Review by Icouldeatthemoon (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: Celexa has been a life-saver for me. Ever since I was a child, I've had bad anxiety and depression, and I would have attacks where I would completely break down emotionally over something so silly, like a lost T.V remote. I would talk to my mother about my anxiety, and she said it was something I just needed to get over. Finally at age 23, I've confronted this problem medically, and Celexa has changed my life entirely. I don't experience the depression I used to, my anxiety has decreased incredibly, and my attacks have almost disappeared. I don't feel a hovering weight on my shoulders anymore like I'm constantly letting people down, I'm just living my life like I'm supposed to.

245 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 23, 2013 10:52 AM

Review by Elvidge:

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: I have had anxiety forever and fell into a dark depression. I almost lost my marriage due to my state of mind. My doctor prescribed Celexa and it saved my life. I also was sleeping two hours a night during this horrible time and Celexa helps me get a greats night sleep now. I have gained 10 pounds but its worth peace of mind.

107 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 22, 2013 9:19 PM

Review by KatieLea:

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: I didn't realize how bad my anxiety was until I started taking citalopram (and found relief). I had never taken any antidepressant and I started off with a TINY amount..5 mg in the morning for the first three days. I got a bad headache, which went away after a couple of days. I then increased to 10mg... then 20. I ended up at 40mg daily and have been on that for a little over a year. I am currently in the process of decreasing my dose. I dropped down to 30 mg for two weeks and I am noticing my irritation and anxiety increasing. My goal had been to get to 20mg but I am not sure I'll be able to do that, due to the increased feelings of anxiety. All in all I have found this medicine to be a HUGE help with very few side effects.

136 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 21, 2013 6:29 AM

Review by Lisa2014 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: Taking Celexa has helped me tremendously. Since being on it I no longer have constant thoughts of suicide. I've been on it for 4 months but started to feel relief in just 2 weeks. I had very mild side effects in the beginning like dry mouth but they only lasted for the 1st month.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 21, 2013 12:34 AM

Review by teawithjam 23f:

For Depression: I like it. Does have some persistent annoying side effects but, the pros far outweigh the cons. Started out with 10mg for one month. Bumped up to 20mg for the past 2 months. Much more sociable, in fact, I feel like I don't want to be alone now. Dressing better, super giggly, it feels great to laugh it off. And almost every other user reports loss of sex drive which makes me wonder why I feel so, quite the opposite of that all the time. Cons: brain zaps, shortness breath sometimes, dazey, shakey, sweaty, if I miss dose I feel cynical and don't like anyone because I think they are all rude. Paranoid? Weight gain. Still like it.

March 18, 2013 10:23 PM

Review by Anonymous315:

For Anxiety and Stress: So far so good. I switched from escitalopram (Lexapro) to this to save money. I switched immediately, with no tapering off one drug to get on the next, and there were no problems. The effects are similar so far. I feel calmer, more focused, less irritable/agitated. I have a little bit of brain fog but nothing that keeps me from doing what I need to do. Hope it keeps working!

March 15, 2013 12:37 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: I can be in public places comfortably

127 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 13, 2013 11:05 PM

Review by Joshua Michael (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: I have been on 40mg of this medication for several years now and it has worked very well in treating my Obsessive compulsive disorder, anxiety and panic disorders. Over the past 6 or so months, however, I've noticed it had become less effective and I eventually experienced the "pop out" effect. I am still taking it until I can see a psychiatrist, but the past few weeks have been agonizing. Overall, I would recommend it as an effective medication with very few side effects. It's just too bad it didn't last longer for me.

March 11, 2013 6:48 PM

Review by branwine (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: I've been on Celexa for about 1 1/2 years an I love it. I have a real big history of panic attacks the ones that make you feel like your dying well they have decreased alot I still have them once in a while but they have gotten way better. This medication has really made a difference for me I recommend it to everyone with panic an anxiety disorder it works.

137 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 7, 2013 10:34 PM

Review by Nick bol:

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: I'm 23, male. I take 20 mg Celexa. I really see improvement with my everyday life. I'm less likely to snap out. Keeps me on edge but was thinking of raising the dose. I'm also taking ibuprofen.

March 4, 2013 5:06 AM

Review by Dizzytat:

For Anxiety and Stress: Before taking this medication I had anxiety and because of the anxiety I started to have insomnia. Was prescribed this medication and 3ish weeks later, I started to sleep just fine, anxiety was almost non-existent. I take this medication at night because it knocks me out. This medication also gives me nightmares which I can deal with. Plus my TMJ is better because I guess I don't grind my teeth at night anymore.

February 25, 2013 2:55 PM

Review by Clint12223:

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: It first gives me the giggles. It can put me in a good mood. It however does completely kill my sex drive. I have no interest whatsoever in my partner when on this medicine.

72 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 24, 2013 11:23 PM

Review by Double G:

For Depression: I began taking this medication October 2011 for depression and anxiety as recommended by general practitioner. (It is the only medicine for Depression/Anxiety that I have ever taken) I ramped up weekly from 0.5 to 15 mg. My doc wanted me on 20 mg per day but I decided 15mg was for me. I felt an immediate boost upon first taking only 0.5. Felt a sense of happiness that had been missing for many, many years. At 15 mg I felt much less stressed and much happier overall. I could deal with friends, family and strangers much more easily. After a few months of doing well I noticed that the "fog had set in", I had a hard time focusing on anything for an extended period. This was accompanied by increased anger and NO SEX DRIVE at all. I have now weaned myself off.

February 18, 2013 8:47 PM

Review by Blondsungoddess:

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: I am just starting my 3rd week on Celexa. I was more upset when I found out this was for "depression and anxiety" as I am NOT depressed. I am a very outgoing person that loves to be around people but I do have anxiety, panic attacks and anger issues, so I thought it would be worth trying. I find myself more "Calm" in general since taking this. I am not obsessing about phobia's I have, and I am back to being 90% happy because I am dealing with stress better. I have been incredibly nauseous though this past week in the early morning to about lunch time. By mid afternoon to evening that goes away, but I do not like that feeling. No interruption in sleep. I do feel "forgetful" more than normal. Overall doing well.

147 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 15, 2013 2:42 PM

Review by StresedBylife (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety and Stress: In Sept 2012 I was in car wreck that resulted in Several herniated Discs and Bulging discs, as the pain kept on and seemed to increase, I began getting depressed, mix that with trying to plan a wedding, starting a new job, and issues with my oldest child, last week (we are now in Feb 2013) I had 3 bad panic attacks, found myself crying all the time, generally unhappy, snapping at people, and just completely exhausted, stressed out, full of anxiety and depression. Was nervous about taking Celexa because of side effects from Paxil in the past, But I did this morning before going to work and halfway there I realized I immediately felt better than I have in a very long time. I am on 10mg and no bad side effects. I actually was happy today.

February 12, 2013 7:54 PM

Review by Artscape (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: I started taking Celexa about a year ago. I had severe depression and anxiety due to multiple losses.. job, house, bankruptcy, the loss of my brother to cancer, divorce... you name it. The anxiety I was experiencing was affecting my family relationships, work relationships, and general well being. I had been on Wellbutrin which I am still on, but my doc prescribed Celexa. It has made a world of difference. I am happy, relaxed, able to concentrate, and feel a sense of hope for the future. Recently I ran out of the med, and within a day or two I was again feeling anxious, overly emotional and sad, and just not right. I got the medication again, and I am back to normal. It saved my life as well. Thank you Celexa.

160 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 7, 2013 3:06 AM

Review by Haydiee (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: I was diagnosed with generalized anxiety at a very young age, I believe I wasn't at the age of 10 yet. Anyways I started taking a medicine for about 6 years and it stopped working so we switched to Celexa. I now have night sweats, a dry mouth, bad drainage, and a swollen uvula. These symptoms haven't stopped and it's been several months, we think I have a virus but I believe it might be the Celexa. I'm 13 years old and I'm taking 20mg because they keep increasing my dose. But overall I haven't noticed any changes from any of the other medications I've taken.

February 4, 2013 4:39 AM

Review by KEKA:

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: I have always struggled with anxiety about little things....Thinking I'm dying over something, or wake up worried if I was going to be worried today (i know, not normal). I would get obsessed with something happening to me. I would be worried someone might break in the house and kept the kitchen light on all night. My brain just couldn't shake things and it would consume me that I felt like I was going crazy. My poor family! I finally agreed to starting meds and my doc started me on celexa. The first few weeks I had anxiety about if the pill was going to work or if I needed to go to a "better" brand but after about 2 months I started feeling like a whole new person, its been 5 months now and I don't ever want to get off them.

171 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 3, 2013 11:40 PM

Review by Crissy G (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: I began taking Celexa during detox for addiction to prescription medication. I honestly thought I would never smile or laugh again - but after about 4 weeks, the fog I was living in lifted and I felt better than ever! This was the second time went through detox and after the first time, I used Celexa - and once I began feeling good. Unfortunately I stopped and relapsed. Stopping Celexa without tapering was the equivalent to hitting a wall of great sadness. I have been clean and sober for over 90 days and I believe Celexa plays a huge role in my decision making process.

121 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 2, 2013 12:27 PM