User Reviews for Citalopram (Page 9)

Also known as: Celexa

Learn more about Citalopram.

Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder 9 reviews 39 medications

5.5
Dysthymia 1 reviews 3 medications

Summary of Citalopram reviews 963 reviews 7.2

Reviews for Citalopram

For Anxiety and Stress: "I stopped after a week due to significantly decreased libido; I'm giving it a few stars because I'm not sure if it would have eventually helped my anxiety and depression since I wasn't on it long enough."

thirty (taken for less than 1 month) April 14, 2015

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "Starting Celexa was one of the best decisions I've made in my entire life. I had lost myself in a world of anger, darkness, fear, anxiety, panic attacks, and hypochondria. I was not myself. In fact, I didn't even recognize myself anymore. The first month of Celexa (10mg) was hell, to be honest. Side effects included upset stomach, nausea, numbness, weakness, brain "zaps", hot flashes, night sweats, panic attacks, anxiety, inability to sleep, the feeling of extreme heat within my body (difficult to explain), and strange awareness of limbs. After a month, I woke up one day" and was myself again. It felt like a weight had been lifted. I was free, happy, courageous, calm, and peaceful. I am about to meet the 1year mark - the serenity remains."

yogini22 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 10, 2015

135 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress: "After having a heart attack at 55 years of age, I was prescribed citalopram. My only regret is that I didn't start taking it 30 years earlier. It has made stresses much easier to handle for me, and me much easier on my family. I think they should put it in drinking water (just kidding.)"

Hajoba April 8, 2015

For Depression: "I've been taking 10mg of citalopram everyday now for 7 days and then had to up it to 20mg after that. Have never felt so rough! Those first 7 days were hell for me, really bad headaches sickness and very bad depression that felt worse than what I had to begin with! I hadn't been able to eat anything either 4 or 5 days into it, but i tell you now the first day I took the 20mg start of week 2 absolute different story. I'm like a different person. Please stick the first week out as that was the worst for me it does get better I promise. Stick it out I nearly didn't but so glad I did now! i feel brilliant now. These tablets do work but give your body time to accept them and you'll reap the benefits. Be strong and stick it out. Tomorrow is another day :)"

blick April 8, 2015

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "I am on week three of 10mg celexa. I felt a difference in my mood immediately. My husband too finds I am much calmer. I was a mix bag of anxiety, irritability, anger, sadness, stress, mind racing and exhaustion. I used to snap at every little thing. The mood shifting was not only hard on me but my family as well. I couldn't live like that any more. Although I was prescribed celexa, I did not rush out to buy it I guess because I was ashamed about having to medicate myself. It took me two months to admit it to myself. I now regret not starting it earlier! It has changed me for the better. I am still the same person with the same life problems but I can better handle my problems now. I can think clearly. The negativity is gone."

32y female (taken for less than 1 month) April 7, 2015

103 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "16 years old. Therapist and I decided to turn to medication after 6 months in therapy had little effect. I was prescribed 10mg citalopram, which we tapered up to from 5mg. After only 2 days had passed on the 5mg dose, it was already having positive effects; it stopped me from having a panic attack when I normally would have. It's been a week, and each passing day my anxiety is lessened as well as some of the underlying depression. I have had side effects though; slight headaches, nausea some drowsiness (especially after taking a dose) and some of the worst heartburn ever. It's only been speedbumps in my normal day, though."

Pediatric Celexa Patient April 2, 2015

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "Helps a lot with anxiety and depression but made me emotionally numb with a low sex drive (27 male here). I've been on them for about four months and am going off them. Don't use citalopram unless you really need to. I'm finding myself less motivated about life and apathetic towards a lot after being on them all this time."

smithy9886 April 1, 2015

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: "So, a little over a year ago (20 year old female) I was diagnosed with depression. My doctor gave me Celexa 20 mg. The first week I had dry mouth and nausea, but that was about it for side effects, they went away quickly. Celexa made me feel more in control of my emotions, happier, and less tearful. After 8 months, I switched to 40 mg, it didn't do very much and 4 months later, I had gained 15 lbs. So I switched back to 20 mg. It has been over a year now and I feel like the medication has stopped working, I'm feeling depressed again, sleeping a lot, more sadness. So I'm going to see my doctor and switch. Overall, for a first medication, it was good. Just definitely watch your weight and what you're eating!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 31, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress: "So I started taking about a week ago, because I have severe anxiety and ADHD as well as OCD, and at first it was miserable, I couldn't read or think straight, it felt like I was in a dream I was in a daze and I was so light headed, i had a terrible dry mouth with the most awful headache, and I felt sleepy, and sluggish, even passed out while getting dressed. I did have better concentration, and overall felt calmer but it has seriously drained me out of alot of other emotions. A week later I am still tired, but I'm not falling asleep during everyday tasks. I can think straight, though I still get light headed and dry mouth, I feel calmer and more relaxed though, and I can focus. My emotions are here and there though, not really constant."

Shannon-chan (taken for less than 1 month) March 30, 2015

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: "I can't say enough good things about this medication. I've fought mild-to-moderate depression on-and-off for twenty years. I've done counseling and read tons of books. I also tried Paxil years ago but found it numbing. Celexa has been WONDERFUL. I'm on 20mg a day. The crying spells, feelings of doubt and despair, and constant negative thoughts have all gone away. I still have up and down moods and feelings but they feel normal and manageable...like what regular people must feel like. I feel much more confident, happy and engaged with life. As for side effects...not to be crude, but the only side effect I've experienced is delayed orgasm and, as a man, this is more of a benefit than a problem ;-) I highly recommend this medication..."

Can't say enough good things (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 30, 2015

For Depression: "I took Citalopram for a little over a year and it was the first A/D I'd ever taken. Worked wonders and helped me to enjoy the little things in life again. I'm a busy Mom of littles and needed the help way before I actually admitted. I've always had TMJ from wearing braces in my teens, but never anything real painful. It wasn't long before I realized the new pain in my jaw was from clenching, bruxism. Saw Ortho for opinion, dentist made me new bite splint, cortisone shots in jaw joints, heating pads, so on and so forth to help with pain because I didn't want to get off Citalopram. It got so bad that I had to stop. Been a few months, starting over on Sertraline. Fingers crossed!"

Momtruth (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 27, 2015

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: "I am taking Celexa 20 mg for four months now, and my depression is better I am not crying every single moment I still have anxiety, but for depression works☺️Also I am more sociable now it takes a few months though"

Gelly March 26, 2015

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "Been suffering from general anxiety/ social anxiety and acute OCD. Never been on any medication before and decided it was time to see a doctor to treat the anxiety. In the first week I had no side effects at all and felt fine. After this week I had a week booked off work and stupidly decided to drink about 5 times throughout this week, quite heavily. The day after stopping drinking I felt really anxious and shaky, which was fairly usual for me. Then the day after this I had 3 days of nausea, tremours, sweating, tiredness. On the fourth day I begin to feel slightly better and begin to get my appetite back. By week 3 I feel really good at the moment, no anxiety although do have racing thoughts. Would not drink heavily using this medication."

l11994 (taken for less than 1 month) March 24, 2015

For Depression: "Male, 52 years old, police officer, 6-0, 200lbs, been taking 20mg of Citalopram for 6 weeks now. I took 10mg for a month, but nothing good occurred. I suffered with moderate depression and anxiety, and am not sure which one came first. Very frustrating. But none the less, it finally seems to be showing a positive effect after about 6 1/2 weeks on the 20mg. Just when you think it's not helping and that it's a waste of time, it kicks in. Hard to explain the feeling, but you just start feeling better. My mind just stopped worrying about crap and I could relax more and have more positive thoughts. Over the last 13 years, I've suffered off and on with this disorder and have taken Benzo's and other anti-depressants. Citalopram seems to help."

Mike 1964 March 19, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress: "I was given this due to the anxiety side effects from other meds I've have to take. My doc said 20 mg at bed time. I've taken it 2 nights I won't take it any longer. It turned an anxiety attack into 2 all day attacks. Supper jittery, very uneasy, on edge, guts won't stop rolling and every little stressful thought gets my heart pounding."

gator 13 March 19, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress: "I had just starting taking citalopram for About 3 days and I can already tell what a difference I feel! I had such such horrible anxiety! Every time I would think of something that was putting stress in my life, my heart would hurt! Now..... I don't feel anything hurt at all. ..well.... not nearly as bad at least. I know this medicine takes couple weeks to feel full effect, but I can tell a big difference already only on day 3, 20mg! :)"

kraw March 16, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress: "Started citalopram two and a half weeks ago for anxiety and stress. First few days felt a little strange, but the anxiety decreased from the first day of taking it. I'm really impressed how much better I've been feeling all around. Stupid little things that use to erk me don't have an effect on me anymore. I feel more like I'm living in the moment rather than worrying about the future or things that could happen. I was worried about being a zombie or losing my personality, but I actually feel more outgoing and happy because I'm not nervous and tense. I wanted to share my experience because when my Dr. first prescribed it to me, I was to scared to take it. But after reading others reviews I was brave enough to try it and I'm so glad I did!"

FloridaGrl March 16, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress: "I've been on Citalopram for 5 months now and it hasn't helped me at all. I haven't had any bad side effects to show it's actually working, and I haven't had any improvement with my anxiety and depression. "

Useless Tablets March 15, 2015

For Depression: "Pharmacy said it could be crushed (have hard time swallowing pills) PLEASE DON'T CRUSH ! I got too much at once...now just cut in half .... Drug stores have pill splitters if it's not scored. ALWAYS GET 2nd OPINION"

DonnaJoyce March 15, 2015

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: "I have been on Celexa for over 6 years now. For a long time, I have been on 20mg a day and I feel quite normal for the most part. I do not feel like crying and I do not feel suicidal every single day anymore BUT i do have episodes of that at least once a month, lasting for just several days. I cut down to 10mg for a year but I noticed that I had non-stop crying and sensitivity more often so I am not back on 20mg. I would not say that it makes me feel extremely happy but for the most part, I felt normal. I like that it did not make any changes to my weight and it did not lower my sex drive at all in comparison to other reviews on this medication. I do, however, noticed that my memory and focus is not as great as before I started Celexa."

22femalecanadian March 15, 2015

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: "Helps post traumatic stress disorder that has turned into chronic depression and irritability. Side effects is nausea, appetite gain and tiredness, in my case, but I also have hypothyroidism and clogged arteries. Helps enough to be worth it for good in my case."

KatVonFarsta March 13, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress: "This medication made me feel like I wasn't real and I lost 6 weeks of my life while on it, hoping it would work. It did help with anxiety because I felt nothing and had no energy. Would not recommend at all if you need energy. Did not make me physically sick like Zoloft though, which had similar effects."

Evilmage (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 13, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress: "Hi, I'm female from UK, age 16. I was on fluoxetine for a while and whilst at first it helped with my moods but after a few months I didn't really get much out of it, anxiety and depression wise. A few months ago I was switched to citalopram and I can say it has been an absolute lifesaver. I suffer from extreme sensitivity and most stressful situations get me extremely anxious . I'm not having a good time with school ATM but I'm generally feeling like I can cope with it, and that I don't spiral off into mania and anxiety anymore when something bad happens. I have minimal symptoms of anxiety anymore, with heart fluttering, tummy ache and shaking almost gone when I should feel anxious. My moods have improved greatly and I love this meds."

hannahcroftie March 13, 2015

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: "At first I was prescribed Zoloft 50mg which I cut in half to 25mg. I'm sensitive to medications and this being my first SSRI it really threw me for a loop. Severe derealization and anxiety that lasted all day. So I quit the Zoloft and was put on Celexa and Buspar, the Buspar is useless for me. I once again had bad derealization. So after giving the Buspar two chances I gave it up. I started Celexa at 10mg. First day samething, derealization, anxiety, etc. So I cut the pill in half to 5mg, helped me get used to medication really well. I now take it every night at 8pm. I'm currently taking 15mg, about to take 20mg after 3 more doses. I'm starting to feel emotions and connections with myself that I haven't felt in years. So far, so good"

TO'Leary (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 12, 2015

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I experienced severe bouts of depression when my girl friend broke up, when I got cheated out of hard earned money, and when my work life sucked. I used to curse my self every day, inflict wounds on my self, severe migraine, loss of appetite & sleep etc. After being referred to a psychiatrist I was put on 20 mg citalopram and lonozep, I was able to get myself back to normal bit by bit, started to lead a normal life, dropped things that troubled my mind. One bad thing though, I cannot be off meds, if so, I get those attacks again"

Ananth RK (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 12, 2015