User Reviews for Citalopram

Also known as: Celexa

Learn more about Citalopram.

Severe Mood Dysregulation 0 reviews 0 medications

Vulvodynia 0 reviews 9 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Citalopram reviews 674 reviews 7.8

Reviews for Citalopram

Review by Joshua Michael (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: I have been on 40mg of this medication for several years now and it has worked very well in treating my Obsessive compulsive disorder, anxiety and panic disorders. Over the past 6 or so months, however, I've noticed it had become less effective and I eventually experienced the "pop out" effect. I am still taking it until I can see a psychiatrist, but the past few weeks have been agonizing. Overall, I would recommend it as an effective medication with very few side effects. It's just too bad it didn't last longer for me.

March 11, 2013 6:48 PM

Review by branwine (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: I've been on Celexa for about 1 1/2 years an I love it. I have a real big history of panic attacks the ones that make you feel like your dying well they have decreased alot I still have them once in a while but they have gotten way better. This medication has really made a difference for me I recommend it to everyone with panic an anxiety disorder it works.

134 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 7, 2013 10:34 PM

Review by Nick bol:

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: I'm 23, male. I take 20 mg Celexa. I really see improvement with my everyday life. I'm less likely to snap out. Keeps me on edge but was thinking of raising the dose. I'm also taking ibuprofen.

March 4, 2013 5:06 AM

Review by Dizzytat:

For Anxiety and Stress: Before taking this medication I had anxiety and because of the anxiety I started to have insomnia. Was prescribed this medication and 3ish weeks later, I started to sleep just fine, anxiety was almost non-existent. I take this medication at night because it knocks me out. This medication also gives me nightmares which I can deal with. Plus my TMJ is better because I guess I don't grind my teeth at night anymore.

February 25, 2013 2:55 PM

Review by Clint12223:

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: It first gives me the giggles. It can put me in a good mood. It however does completely kill my sex drive. I have no interest whatsoever in my partner when on this medicine.

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 24, 2013 11:23 PM

Review by Double G:

For Depression: I began taking this medication October 2011 for depression and anxiety as recommended by general practitioner. (It is the only medicine for Depression/Anxiety that I have ever taken) I ramped up weekly from 0.5 to 15 mg. My doc wanted me on 20 mg per day but I decided 15mg was for me. I felt an immediate boost upon first taking only 0.5. Felt a sense of happiness that had been missing for many, many years. At 15 mg I felt much less stressed and much happier overall. I could deal with friends, family and strangers much more easily. After a few months of doing well I noticed that the "fog had set in", I had a hard time focusing on anything for an extended period. This was accompanied by increased anger and NO SEX DRIVE at all. I have now weaned myself off.

February 18, 2013 8:47 PM

Review by Blondsungoddess:

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: I am just starting my 3rd week on Celexa. I was more upset when I found out this was for "depression and anxiety" as I am NOT depressed. I am a very outgoing person that loves to be around people but I do have anxiety, panic attacks and anger issues, so I thought it would be worth trying. I find myself more "Calm" in general since taking this. I am not obsessing about phobia's I have, and I am back to being 90% happy because I am dealing with stress better. I have been incredibly nauseous though this past week in the early morning to about lunch time. By mid afternoon to evening that goes away, but I do not like that feeling. No interruption in sleep. I do feel "forgetful" more than normal. Overall doing well.

145 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 15, 2013 2:42 PM

Review by StresedBylife (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety and Stress: In Sept 2012 I was in car wreck that resulted in Several herniated Discs and Bulging discs, as the pain kept on and seemed to increase, I began getting depressed, mix that with trying to plan a wedding, starting a new job, and issues with my oldest child, last week (we are now in Feb 2013) I had 3 bad panic attacks, found myself crying all the time, generally unhappy, snapping at people, and just completely exhausted, stressed out, full of anxiety and depression. Was nervous about taking Celexa because of side effects from Paxil in the past, But I did this morning before going to work and halfway there I realized I immediately felt better than I have in a very long time. I am on 10mg and no bad side effects. I actually was happy today.

February 12, 2013 7:54 PM

Review by Artscape (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: I started taking Celexa about a year ago. I had severe depression and anxiety due to multiple losses.. job, house, bankruptcy, the loss of my brother to cancer, divorce... you name it. The anxiety I was experiencing was affecting my family relationships, work relationships, and general well being. I had been on Wellbutrin which I am still on, but my doc prescribed Celexa. It has made a world of difference. I am happy, relaxed, able to concentrate, and feel a sense of hope for the future. Recently I ran out of the med, and within a day or two I was again feeling anxious, overly emotional and sad, and just not right. I got the medication again, and I am back to normal. It saved my life as well. Thank you Celexa.

156 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 7, 2013 3:06 AM

Review by Haydiee (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: I was diagnosed with generalized anxiety at a very young age, I believe I wasn't at the age of 10 yet. Anyways I started taking a medicine for about 6 years and it stopped working so we switched to Celexa. I now have night sweats, a dry mouth, bad drainage, and a swollen uvula. These symptoms haven't stopped and it's been several months, we think I have a virus but I believe it might be the Celexa. I'm 13 years old and I'm taking 20mg because they keep increasing my dose. But overall I haven't noticed any changes from any of the other medications I've taken.

February 4, 2013 4:39 AM

Review by KEKA:

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: I have always struggled with anxiety about little things....Thinking I'm dying over something, or wake up worried if I was going to be worried today (i know, not normal). I would get obsessed with something happening to me. I would be worried someone might break in the house and kept the kitchen light on all night. My brain just couldn't shake things and it would consume me that I felt like I was going crazy. My poor family! I finally agreed to starting meds and my doc started me on celexa. The first few weeks I had anxiety about if the pill was going to work or if I needed to go to a "better" brand but after about 2 months I started feeling like a whole new person, its been 5 months now and I don't ever want to get off them.

166 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 3, 2013 11:40 PM

Review by Crissy G (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: I began taking Celexa during detox for addiction to prescription medication. I honestly thought I would never smile or laugh again - but after about 4 weeks, the fog I was living in lifted and I felt better than ever! This was the second time went through detox and after the first time, I used Celexa - and once I began feeling good. Unfortunately I stopped and relapsed. Stopping Celexa without tapering was the equivalent to hitting a wall of great sadness. I have been clean and sober for over 90 days and I believe Celexa plays a huge role in my decision making process.

119 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 2, 2013 12:27 PM

Celexa (citalopram) for : Does not control or reduce outbursts of anger. Original dose 20mg, eventually doubled. Doubling had temporary short term benefit. However, there are no noticeable side effects.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 24, 2013 2:15 PM

Review by Stressed wife and mother (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: I started taking Celexa about 2 months ago. I told the doctor that I was always overwhelmed and having anxiety attacks while driving and waking up in the middle of the night sweating. I immediately felt the effects within the first few days, but the dry mouth and yawning was unbearable. I switched to taking it before bedtime since it knocks me out anyway. About 2 weeks in I noticed myself acting a little goofy and happy again. I've noticed a dramatic difference in myself since I had my second child and my husband was working 60-70 hours a week, but now with the Celexa I feel much more normal like when I was younger. My doctor told me it would take about 3 months to fully kick in, but so far so good.

125 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 22, 2013 10:33 PM

Review by luvurself:

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: I have been on Celexa for nearly two weeks and it has been a huge help. I can finally get up, bathe, get dressed, and go out. I am able to take my children to school and actually function. This is my first time taking meds but I am open to them since I have educational background in mental health. I am a grad school student and was first put on Prozac but after nearly two weeks I went from severe anxiety to falling into a deep, terrible depression that left me unable to function. My Dr. immediately switched me to Zoloft but after only 4 days I became severely nauseated, so once again I was switched to Celexa, and finally I can say that now I have gotten some serious relief. Only side effects are itching and dizziness. Good luck to you.

104 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 21, 2013 11:10 AM

Review by tyty 101 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: My doctor prescribed citalopram 20 mg for me a while back for depression. When on the medicine I find that it helps me more with my anxiety than it does for depression. I really don't like its side effects. I find that I can't sleep as well as I did before I started taking citalopram. I get bad headaches and can not perform sexually.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 20, 2013 5:05 PM

Review by loosley:

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: Help with in two days- still helping after 4 years. Some side effects.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 20, 2013 12:26 AM

Review by content64 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Depression: I have been on this medicine for over 3 years and it has helped me greatly with life moving situations. I was done with my prescription and didn't call my Dr thinking I was totally fine now after a couple years. Well, within weeks, maybe days, (my thinking was blurred because of my emotions) I cried at everything, became upset easily, overly sensitive etc. I told my Dr and found out you are not supposed to stop cold turkey. I said well I'm happy now, I have been through a lot but I have come out better so why am I feeling like this still? We talked and decided I needed to stay on it....indefinitely. I don't care, as long as I stay this happy and grounded!

January 14, 2013 10:36 PM

Review by Female 46:

For Anxiety and Stress: I have been taking citalopram for 6 weeks now. 10mg for anxiety and panic attacks. Side effects yawning, sweats, increased anxiety. I was VERY scared to start taking them. I had them for 4 months before I plucked up the courage. I take in the morning. Only just starting to see an improvement in the anxiety. Haven't had a panic attack since starting the meds. This is the first medicine I have ever taken. I have an appointment at docs next week when I think he will increase dose to 20mg which is normal dose. My anxiety is severe. The week before I began the meds I couldn't leave the house. This last week I have been shopping, cinema, hair salon. Still having trouble sleeping. All other side effects only lasted 10 days. I am happy to be on them.

January 11, 2013 7:24 PM

Review by Day 1 (taken for less than 1 month):

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: On Day 1. Felt a little out of it but some how relaxed. I've yawned most of the day and woke up promptly after 8 hours of sleep. Glad I will be able to make it to work on time. A little ringing in the ears. Otherwise so far so good. I've been afraid of SSRIs for sometime now. Had a manic spell with Effexor (SNRI) a few years back. Doc ramped me up on Lamictal first just in case. Doxepin to sleep as needed.

January 6, 2013 10:36 PM

Review by Turnerc:

For Anxiety and Stress: Thank goodness for this medication. I starting having anxiety and panic attacks. I did not want to take any medication but it got to the point where I had no choice. I was put on this medication and it did NOT start working for me until 5 weeks or so. Longest 5 weeks of my life. Headaches, anxiety worsened, nausea, I had horrible sweats in the middle of the night BUT I stuck with it like my doctor insisted! I'm so thankful I did. It's been 4 months and I have my life back. Feels great. I still get mild headaches a bit too often but I'll take that over anxiety any day. If you are JUST starting out wait at least 5-8 weeks.

January 4, 2013 3:45 AM

Review by amgnzls (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: I have suffered from anxiety/depression since I was a teenager. I have tried various medications, but I have never stayed on anything too long because they always made me feel like a zombie or the side effects were worse than the symptoms. Celexa really gave me my life back. My racing thoughts and manic mood swings are long forgotten. I have never had any side effects while taking Celexa, but when I stop taking it (i.e. waiting for refill prescription), I crash pretty hard. I can't sleep, have HORRIBLE restless leg syndrome (which I use to swear was made up), and anxiety 10 fold. Other than that, its amazing, and it completely gives me back my normal self.

99 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 2, 2013 1:06 AM

Review by Postpard (taken for less than 1 month):

For Postpartum Depression: I have a 6 month old old & history of anxiety. Had strong baby blues post c-section; postpartum depression followed. Struggled on my own for months but upon trying to return to work fell hard into depression. Doc put me on 10mg Citalopram. Day 4 right now- can't say whether its effective yet as I know its weeks and or months before we can conclusively say. Have had strong side effects though: very sore stomach, racing heart, break into sweat, dry mouth & insomnia. I take pills at night as I was forewarned about the drowsiness. Willing to try this for longer though despite side effects which are likely short term. Ten years ago was on Zoloft and another antidepressant with poor results.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 27, 2012 4:16 AM

Review by Chris1122 (taken for less than 1 month):

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: I am a 32 year old man, and for more than 17 years I have battled depression. Had been living with depression so long that I could recognize the beginning symptom and would try to mentally prepare myself for the storm that was sure to follow. After being hospitalized, I eventually found myself before a Psych. Doctor. I was afraid and kind of ashamed. Depression set in again. TO MAKE A LONG STORY SHORT: I have been taking Celexa for 4 days now, and I'm all smiles. I still experience all my emotions, but life finally feels bearable and not as heavy. Thank you Celexa!

111 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 26, 2012 10:49 PM

Review by amee11 (taken for less than 1 month):

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: I started taking Celexa a week ago for social anxiety disorder, and I already feel major relief. For the first time, I was social at work and made new friends. I feel happier and can focus on caring about other things and people rather than just myself. I had social anxiety, but I can honestly say that this medicine has worked miracles on me so far, and I'm only on 10mg. This medicine has quite literally saved my life. If you are experiencing depression or anxiety, in my opinion, it's not worth it to keep fighting it without medication. I suffered from social anxiety disorder for 2 years before finally deciding to take it. Now, I wish I had taken it much sooner!

132 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 22, 2012 10:31 AM