User Reviews for Citalopram

Also known as: Celexa

Learn more about Citalopram.

Severe Mood Dysregulation 0 reviews 0 medications

Vulvodynia 0 reviews 9 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Citalopram reviews 769 reviews 7.8

Reviews for Citalopram

Review by wgersalyey (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: I went through a spout of being suicidal. My doc referred me to 20mg daily. I have been off for about 5 months, but started taking it again today. It makes me feel happy, and functional. I see the good in life, and wake up without anything on my mind. I fall asleep without anything on my mind. I had no side effects, and sex was still amazing. It takes me longer to reach climax, but that's a good thing (male). I would recommend this 100%. In 14 short days, you'll be unrecognizable!

November 30, 2013 10:36 AM

Review by Dani89:

For Depression: I'm 24 and have struggled with major depression since I was 14, with past self harm, eating disorders and suicide attempts. I started citalopram just over a year ago and take 40mg per day. I have found it has really helped me. The biggest side effect for me is the tiredness and fatigue, I am very sporty and a fitness instructor so this has a huge effect on my motivation and training. I also find it affects my university studies. Although on the flipside I actually feel normal and rarely have suicidal thoughts or feelings of hopelessness. So I guess the tiredness is worth it. Oh and I have CRAZY dreams!

November 26, 2013 7:35 AM

Review by happyguy78:

For Depression: From the age of 19 to now 35 I have been off and on anti-depressants Finding a good Doctor and Citalopram has changed my life. The last 5 years I have regularly took 40mg a day. I have been able to function and live a normal life. I am half way through a masters Degree in science and doing well. I may have been there sooner with the right treatment. I read lots of negatives about this drug, I can only say if it doesn't work for you then its not the right medicine but don't let that stop you talking to a professional. For someone who has lived with depression as a teenager, just know that there is hope and life can get better. From the lowest of lows and dark places.

November 23, 2013 9:13 AM

Review by nmay77 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: Made me suicidal and depressed.

November 22, 2013 8:54 PM

Review by brix (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: I have absolutely no complaints about Celexa. I've been on 20mg for about a month and a half now, and I feel like a huge weight has just been lifted off of me. I spend so much less of my day thinking about things that upset me, and I'm much more capable of just letting negative thoughts go and not letting them affect me. As a college student, I've dealt been dealing with a tremendous amount of social and academic stress. I was very weary about getting on an antidepressant out of fear of being "judged", but in retrospect getting on Celexa may be the best decision I've ever made. I couldn't help but to post on here and share my experience. It certainly took a little while to kick in, but be patient. I am feeling happy like I haven't in years!

141 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 20, 2013 8:42 PM

Review by flaphappy (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: I have resisted all medications for 16 years, I have recurrent depressive bouts, followed by a major mental health episode and marriage problem 6 months ago. I have spent 3 months on 20mg of this per day. Managed from week three I began to slowly feel better than I have for years, I am back at work. I just wish I had my libido and less of a weight gain (hence 9 not 10).

November 15, 2013 8:32 AM

Review by Itiswhatitis:

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: I began Celexa after having a bad experience on Prozac. I did not see immediate results but I did see some improvement. The side effects were terrible! I had extremely vivid dreams that caused me to be very tired and hard to wake. I had decreased sex drive and lots of problems with memory loss.

November 13, 2013 12:33 AM

Review by blonddraider (taken for less than 1 month):

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: sI began having severe panic and anxiety about 6 weeks after being on HRT and I.might add for the past 7 years. I was a wreck crying all the time I mean yes I miss my mom but she has been gone since 1999 an literally cry on a dime all day. I keep having weird mind spells that would b triggered by a familiar smell or sound an though they felt de sha vie ish they weren't just weird an scary thought I was going craZY. Finally went to doctors they did a bunch of test and he told me exactly why my panic disorder and anxieties were getting so bad, I have zero % of estrogen in body. The doct said hrt and hbp meds not primarily used to treat the panic and anxiety they do help control. Put me on 10 celexa and 0.25 x 2 xanax. I feel like a million!!!

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 10, 2013 3:36 PM

Review by Rosy 2013 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: When i first started citalpram i felt pretty bad for about a week. My moods and sleep were greatly distupted. However a couple weeks into the treatment everything was greatly improved. I felt so much happier and able to handle life's challenges. Even my family and friends commented that i didnt seem as moody and irritable! Unfortunately i have had to switch to a new drug because after taking celexa for about a year i began having major memory problems. Hopefully this would not happen to everyone taking this because the benefits were amazing!!! By the way i was at max dose 40 mg when the memory problems started.

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 9, 2013 10:53 PM

Review by depression.hurts (taken for 10 years or more):

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: Great for Depression.

November 6, 2013 6:57 PM

Review by pyrofatty (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: I have been on Celexa for over a year, I was quite unstable when I started Celexa but after a few months between Celexa and Geodon I evened out to a pretty much numb stable state. I guess not feeling is better then feeling bad things all the time. I'm not sure how to explain it but between my meds I usually feel like an observer of my body, not fully connected to any experience I am in...dreamlike I suppose. Now I have to switch because of the interaction between the two, so we'll hope the next one is at least equivalent.

November 6, 2013 5:43 PM

Review by Liz L:

For Anxiety and Stress: The medication did seize my anxiety and panic attacks, although with that in mind, I would never use it again because of the side effects. I was empty, emotionless, depressed, had no worries about others, had to fake a smile or laugh, I honestly felt so hollow - it's not fun. I think I spent more time thinking about death when I was on the medicine than off of it. It may be a great drug to start with helping your anxiety but I wouldn't stay on this for long. It changed me 100% and I am still suffering the changes. Also, if you don't have OCD now, it could start to develop during the treatment.

November 5, 2013 8:29 AM

Review by blonddraider (taken for less than 1 month):

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: I just started the medication 10mg for 14 days then 20mg for 1 month then doctor wants to see me I have been diagnosed with anxiety, panic disorder, OCD, depression, and depersonalization. I have been on the celexa for five days an although the doc told me it would be 3-4 weeks for full effect I smiled today, I don't feel heavy with thought, I feel like I will come back to me I didn't mind wander or get too into my head today. That's a great feeling, I think I'm going to be okay!

118 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 4, 2013 5:56 PM

Review by kristyl111685:

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: Been taking it 4 days,i feel less sad but so thirsty n cant eat or sleep...not giving up yet because i havnt cried much and bdfore i cried everyday.n then was bitchy...thats been ok....we will see i will update at a later time....

November 3, 2013 2:29 AM

Review by txchic:

For Anxiety and Stress: I have been taking citalopram for about 4 months now and WOW what a difference it has made! I was starting to get really depressed and I have always struggled with social anxiety and never really knew always thought I was just shy (I was very shy as a child) I started taking this and within weeks I felt like a different person. I no longer get really nervous when talking to management at work. I let so many people in the past intimidate me. My husband has a lot of friends that I have not really taken the time to get to know just because I felt I was not as good as them and they were always judging me I felt uncomfortable around them. Now I have a great time with them. I wish I would have had this when I was in school would have changed my life!

November 1, 2013 9:58 AM

Review by Y.J:

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: I was prescribed 20 mg of Lexapro (I split in half) about a year ago and it did make me feel "Zombie Like" for the first couple days of taken it but i got used to it and it did help my anxiety A LOT. I was taken off it cause i was taken off of it about 4 months into taken it cause my insurance wouldn't cover it anymore. Its been about 6 months since I've taken something and my doctor decided to prescribe me 10 mg of Celexa. I took my first dose last night and I was kinda iffy about taking it and was scared for about 1 hour after taking it then I started feeling unscared and more realistic as I do suffer from Depersonilization too. As of right now being my 2nd day on Celexa I can say the side effects aren't as bad as Lexapro were.

October 31, 2013 6:33 PM

Review by K-Murr:

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: I've been on 10 mg of Citalopram for 6 months. Honestly, I've always been skeptical regarding anti-depressants (SSRIs), but once I quit being stubborn and finally started on this medication...just, thank goodness. Citalopram has essentially saved my life. I feel like the me I SHOULD be; as in, this drug didn't turn me emotionless/zombielike; it simply enhanced me and has brought me back to life. I'm happier, more confident, and so thankful that I've gotten myself out of an abyss of chronic sadness. I have experienced a few side effects such as SUPER vivid dreams and more difficulty self-lubricating before sex, but in the scope of things it's totally manageable. Also, I did NOT gain weight, so don't let that possibility scare you off!!

172 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 29, 2013 11:31 PM

Review by anon5003 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: After trying prozac (didn't like) and wellbutrin (better than prozac but still not terrific), was given Celexa by a new doc. I have dysthmia that increases in winter months (probably due to less light where I live, during the shorter days from Oct-March). Celexa gave me an almost instant 'happy' boost and I haven't been off it for more than 6 mos. for a long time. Pros: more energy, no crying spells when daylight lessens during winter months. Cons: did not work for my GAD (I take alprazolam for that), libido is almost non-existent, and my emotions are somewhat blunted (meaning, I don't really cry often, when before I used to be emotional over a lot of things...but I can take that!) Impact on libido is the most annoying side effect.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 29, 2013 7:18 PM

Review by ashlandbridge (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: Never feel down or tired..absolute feel wonderful

October 27, 2013 2:05 PM

Review by PACpcc:

For Anxiety and Stress: I have suffered with anxiety and depression for over 10 years. I get it in cycles and it would last for 3 months at a time. I can't believe how stupid I was not to get help sooner. I went to the DR and he gave me citalopram 10mg one a day. Within 5 hrs of the first pill the anxiety had decreased. On week 5 and feel better. The only side effects have been hot sweats from time to time and wanting to sleep. I think I'm on the mend.

October 26, 2013 4:42 PM

Review by Ang1215:

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: I was on celexa for about a month. I started feeling very paranoid and started showing psychotic symptoms that I've never had before. I ended up in the hospital for a week. I still have anxiety problems to this day. Be careful with this medication.

October 26, 2013 9:13 AM

Review by smmy77 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety and Stress: Update - I am now on day 9, 10 mg a day. I take them first thing in the morning and to be honest have so much energy and have not been eating... I am trying to eat small amounts but to be honest I could do with losing some weight. Started on these weighing 15stone I now weight 14s 8lbs... so that's good... The symptoms I have had are Jaw clenching, first few days anxiety not as bad but a little.... If I take 20 mg I feel a mess. I felt high whilst walking my dog and then had to turn home as I felt weird.... So for me 10 mg is enough... I am having Counselling as well and CBT. Stick with them I feel so much better than I did 9 days ago, tears, anxious, fed up,no energy.... now I am hopefull. good luck

October 23, 2013 5:22 AM

Review by Bree1930:

For Anxiety and Stress: I have been on the medication for the last 3 months for depression. The first time I took the pill at 20mg it made me very thirsty, gave me restless sleep, very dizzy when standing from sitting, I felt "high" and was spaced out for the whole day I felt weird; especially while driving. I started to half the pills for the next month and gradually started taking the full dose. At this point I feel like the meds are working and my crying spells have decreased dramatically. I am no longer super snappy at my kid and have more patience in general. I still continue to have dry mouth from time to time about 2hrs after I take the meds.

October 22, 2013 1:58 PM

Review by HarperAshley (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: The first few weeks were hell. Be warned when you take this drug you may (like me) feel worse. I was miserable, I was so sick I couldn't eat and the headaches and insomnia were unbelievable. The depression seemed to be worse too. I pushed through it and two months later I feel completely normal and strong again. Citalopram will make you the person you are suppose to be. I was always anti antidepressants and I am very fit and active so don't judge yourself for taking them. I have not gained any weight. I think if you keep active and eat well it shouldn't affect you that way. I have had a hard time lately through personal problems but this drug is a life saver and I am still happy and together despite everything I have had to deal with.

October 21, 2013 1:15 AM

Review by Zzzz22223344556677 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety and Stress: Started citlopram after severe panic attacks ,anxiety constant adrenaline rushes could never sleep at nights,could never leave my house but couldn't be alone either was such a severe case always physically sick and so weak.been on the meds 10mg for 2 weeks now and sleeping alot better also feeling very relaxed but have energy as well .great meds so far!!!!!!!!

October 20, 2013 11:52 AM