Pill Identifier App

User Reviews for Citalopram

Also known as: Celexa

Learn more about Citalopram.

Severe Mood Dysregulation 0 reviews 0 medications

Vulvodynia 0 reviews 9 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Citalopram reviews 736 reviews 7.8

Reviews for Citalopram

Review by Sharon Lawton from Ireland (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: Been on this tablet about a month now. Even though my doctor said it won't take effect till about 6 weeks, it practically worked for me after a day because my nervous system would be very sensitive to any tablets. I'm on this tablet about a month now and to be honest it has taken away the majority of my anxiety, and panic attacks which I used to get severely. I still get flutters in my heart and rapid heart beat sometimes but nothing I can't handle. My dreams are really weird sometimes like really strange but that's to be expected I suppose. Took 20mg forgetting was supposed to take 10mg, was way too strong for me so on 10mg now, can function with that.

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 17, 2013 6:27 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: In November 2012, After 4 years of unbearable symptoms (dizziness, headaches, facial neuralgia, sweats, spikes in blood pressure, ataxia, feeling like I was about to have a seizure) from about 5 times a week to 4 times a day and with medical investigations exhausted I decided it was time to try an SSRI. I had always insisted my symptoms caused my anxiety; not the other way round. Because of this, I put off taking the medication for about 2 years. I started on November 30th on 10mg. Felt slightly odd the next day but immediately noticed the anxiety was lessened. After 7 days I went onto 20mg/day. Things just got better and better. I'm still on the same dose now (Sept 2013). For me it has been fantastic. I'm pretty much 100% my old self.

September 16, 2013 11:04 AM

Review by RJHappyguy:

For Depression: I reluctantly started this medication a year ago after trying to deal with depression on my own. After I began taking it I had some mild side effects (Intense dreams, Tiredness) but they subsided after about a month. The good effects started at that point, I now feel stable, content and don't let things and people get to me like before. It gives me the ability to make bad thoughts simply evaporate from my thought process. I recommend this medicine to anyone who feels the destructive effects of depression like I did, but give it time to work, stick with it and it will change your life.

September 13, 2013 11:24 AM

Review by birdy487:

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: I have been taking this medication for years. At first it was great it helped me a lot with my temper and sad feelings. I have had some ups and downs with it. At one time I was taking 2.5 pills and was having trouble remembering things, and extreme trouble driving due to drowsiness. I cut back to one and tried to go off them but my moods started to swing out of control. Now I am on one and half tabs, and am feeling depressed again. My eyes are watery and I feel like crying a lot but that may be due to the fall coming on.

September 5, 2013 9:30 PM

Review by Smi19 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: I am a 20 year old female who has suffered from depression for 5 years. I have tried many different medications and have had little to no luck with anything, until my doctor prescribed me Citalopram. I feel great. I feel tired alot more often, but that's the only side effect I have noticed. I'd recommend this medication to anyone who feels their current depression medication isn't working. Hope I've helped.

September 4, 2013 11:17 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Anxiety and Stress: I started this medication a year after my sibling passed away. Whether the death of my sibling caused my anxiety/depression..I'm not sure. But I have now been on this medication for four months and have noticed a change. It feels as though a weight has been lifted from my shoulders. I used to have this constant fear every day and that has minimized. I'm not 100 percent, but I can tell this medication is working for me. The only side effect I've noticed is drowsiness. I started taking it at night rather than in the morning and I have felt so much better.

August 31, 2013 1:41 AM

Review by 746b ( no one calls me that):

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: I am 14 years old and I started taking Celexa a few weeks ago for depression and I took it a couple years back for anxiety. It has worked good I have been feeling depressed since the third grade and have been having uncontrolled regretful thoughts for a while. This works and I am feeling better. It gave me such a weird feeling which I think is happiness but anyway it's new thanks to this medication.

August 30, 2013 6:40 PM

Review by UPAR:

For Depression: I started taking Celexa just over 2 years ago after my 3rd husband and I broke up. I was really depressed. DR. gave me 10 mg of Celexa. I felt like a new person within 24 hours. It has changed my life. For the first time I truly feel balanced. I tried to stop Celexa after about a year later. After about a month I started feeling a low level depression, weepy and negative. I went back on my 10 mg. and am up and running again. I can look back on my relationships and see how my depression really contributed to the breakups.

August 27, 2013 12:53 AM

Review by Feeling a little better (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: The depression, feelings of worthlessness, suicidal thoughts and chronic anger have all eased somewhat since I started taking Celexa (10mg). I've been on it for about two months and have noticed a marked difference. Sleeping okay after insomnia at first. No decrease in sex drive (male), but definite decrease in ability. Hoping that doesn't last. Although some days I feel like my old self, mostly I feel better. Life has become more clear to me, my relationship with my wife appears to be improving, and this has allowed me to begin forgiving myself. Long road ahead. I wish you all the best.

120 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 23, 2013 6:01 PM

Review by wil.yumm:

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: Little groggy when I take it at night, but that's all I noticed.

August 13, 2013 6:52 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Depression: I began taking this medication and it made a huge difference. After a few weeks I started to feel like my old self again. I started on 10mg and after a few months my doctor increased to 20mgs. Initially the side effects were just headaches and excessive yawning. But hey, what's a head ache compared to depression and anxiety? It took 7 months for the bad side effects to kick in. I started forgetting things. Having zero recollection of things I had done. I seemed to be writing things out of order which has never been an issue with me. I'd do things like have a piece of trash in one hand and my car keys in the other and go to a trash can to throw the trash away and put my keys in there instead of the trash! Unfortunately have to stop this medicine.

August 13, 2013 5:03 PM

Review by Momocita:

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: I'm using this for my OCD and panic attacks. I've been on it for 3 weeks and I haven't had any panic attacks and as my OCD it helped. I'm only on 10mg and I have no side effects. This is a good antidepressant.

August 11, 2013 3:50 AM

Review by MrBreeze (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Panic Disorder: Been on citalopram 5 weeks now. Getting better, only side effect I had was yawning. Feel big difference, been on many medicines for panic disorder just like most of us have it seems to be working.

August 9, 2013 8:27 AM

Review by MollyCey:

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: Had severe postpartum depression after my oldest was born. I thought that my experience was "normal" and due to the daily fatigue that new parents experience. Halfway through my second pregnancy I spoke with my OB about the crying/anxiety and sadness I experienced after her birth and she decided to put me on 10 mg Celexa; what a God send! With my husband deployed and a scary pregnancy this was exactly what I needed to cope and prepare with the new changes. I didn't feel so hopeless after he was born and the overwhelming feeling that had plagued me before was gone. I now take 20 mg to deal with my SADD and hectic job working in a Level 1 Trauma ER and it does the trick. I love Celexa and owe my positive parenting and job to the company. Thank you.

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 1, 2013 8:33 PM

Review by linzijay (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: Four days in, 10mg citalopram. Really notice a change, my constant anxiety attacks my breathlessness and fear of dying have subsided, have had no side effects. That was my greatest fear. I read too many horror stories on it over net but I am glad I finally took them after a week of pure fighting the fear of it.

August 1, 2013 5:04 PM

Review by SDS#2:

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: Severe panic attacks, couldn't drive much, never on freeways, bridges, etc. I can do it now after so many years of being unable to and even housebound for a while.

186 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 29, 2013 1:38 AM

Review by Jose d (taken for less than 1 month):

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: I feel better. But I feel that I can't focus. As well my left side of my face is tingling. I going to stop and call my doctor. This is not the first I taking this medication and never had this side effect.

July 27, 2013 8:44 PM

Review by Happy:) (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: I would say I have seen a complete turn around in my depression. I use 40mg of Celexa and Xanax proscribed three times a day if needed. I usually take two Xanax before bed to fall asleep. I've been on it a year and can say its been a a blessing. Didn't start that way! I chose to stick through some of the side effects and gradually increased my dosage. From 10, 20, 30 now 40 mg which I take every morning. Now I feel the balance. When in need, I spoke with my Doctor to increase if I was not feeling to my full potential of the medicines. Still working on my anxiety around people! Doing better from where I started. GOOD LUCK ALL!

July 27, 2013 12:29 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: I was suffering from extreme panic disorder, could barely leave the house, didn't think I would ever feel like myself again. I was put on Celexa and within a few weeks I started doing things that I thought I would never do again. I didn't think I would be able to go to college but with the help of Celexa I went off to college and felt like myself again after a few months. It was still a struggle at first, don't get me wrong, it is not magic, but it makes the panic manageable. I would definitely recommend the combination of this and CBT.

101 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 25, 2013 3:32 PM

Review by braziej (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: I have found my stress tolerance threshold has dramatically increased since starting Celexa. Anxiety is better but not much.

July 25, 2013 2:05 PM

Review by celexa (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: Positive mood changes after using for several weeks. However, on this medication sex drive is practically non-existent for me (Male).

July 24, 2013 5:39 PM

Review by Recovering Abuser (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Anxiety and Stress: Some years ago I began physically abusing my children and wife as the exasperation I was feeling steered my thoughts into a cycle of negativity and emotional upheaval. The abuse, which I intellectually knew was wrong, would nonetheless arise in my "fits of rage," or decisions to become emotionally abusive. With cognitive behavioral therapy, meditation and citalopram I am now nearly free from heralding such abuse upon those I love and I am so proud of myself as a husband, father.

July 23, 2013 11:02 PM

Review by ldd513:

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: 25yr. Female. I started taking 10mg of Celexa after experiencing severe depression. I was having harmful thoughts, insomnia and anxiety in all aspects of life. I finally succumbed to the fact, I needed to take medication because therapy, exercise, positive thoughts and other outlets were not working. The first few weeks sucked. I had severe insomnia, couldn't eat and felt ramped up and clenched my teeth when I did sleep. I never had the zombie experience though. But a few weeks later, the world seemed more clear & happy. Celexa did nothing for my anxiety, I had to add Klonopin, but it worked for my mood swings and depression. I would go on it again if I had to. Just remember everyone has different brain chemistry.

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 15, 2013 6:39 PM

Review by sec1 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: I had terrible side effects from taking Tamoxifen. I was diagnosed with irritable bowel syndrome, acid reflux, could not sleep due to hot flashes, cried all the time, often just felt like I had the flu. My oncologist suggested I try citalopram. My world is wonderful! I feel better than I ever have. Not only did it help tremendously with the side effects of Tamoxifen, but it has also taken care of anxiety and depression that I had been living with, but never did anything about it. I have no side effects from the citalopram, except weight gain. I am working on that, though. All my family and friends are amazed at the difference in me. I have been taking 20mg for over a year.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 9, 2013 7:23 AM

Review by Julz82:

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: Just started Celexa, and already I noticed the more feeling of calm, and calm is not something I think I've ever been, I get angered easy, upset, cry, feel overwhelmed, hopeless, feel better off dead, mood always up and down because of how many losses I have had in my life, feeling like a failure, you name it, I really hope this helps me long term. I've noticed a difference already and am optimistic.

216 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 4, 2013 12:46 PM