User Reviews for Citalopram (Page 9)

Also known as: Celexa

Learn more about Citalopram.

Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder 10 reviews 40 medications

5.5
Dysthymia 1 reviews 3 medications

Summary of Citalopram reviews 1040 reviews 7.2

Reviews for Citalopram

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "Started having panic attacks last June when I had a medical issue with my eye. My doctor prescribed me celexa. I held onto the prescription for over 6 months as I was terrified of relying on a pill to help me and was scared of side effects. Finally I couldn't take the anxiety anymore and started on 10mg. First few weeks I COULD NOT SLEEP and my anxiety was worse. Had to take sleeping pills. But eventually it got better and now I feel great! It's been 6 months and I've never increased my dosage. I still get anxious once in a while but that is fine with me because I don't want to "not feel anything" like some pills do to you! I know it's not for everyone but I am glad I finally tried it!!"

Anonymous August 24, 2015

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression: "I'm content with citalopram. It has helped with my depression and anxiety, I used to spend countless hrs thinking n worrying about things beyond my control and it made me miserable. My situation hasn't changed really, but I just don't end up doing all that endless thinking! Side effects have been drowsiness, diarrhea, excessive yawning, and mild stomach discomfort. All worth it, and the drowsiness wore off after taking it for a month or so. The excessive yawning went away after two months. I'm starting my third month soon and I am very happy with citalopram"

flinky August 21, 2015

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "I was prescribed Celexa for anxiety. I had previously tried Prozac, which made things even worse. Celexa (10mg) was great. I felt better, just a bit more evened out, and less anxious. It's definitely not a xanax but it helped me to feel more like myself. However, it also made me gain about 15 pounds in only 3 months. During this time I was exercising, eating healthfully, and still gaining. I eventually weaned myself off it. Weaning myself off was *terrible*. Nausea, inability to concentrate, etc."

bea000 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 21, 2015

For Depression: "My "episode" started when my marriage was falling apart. I thought I was handling it well until I just started crying uncontrollably. I was prescribed a number of antidepressants none of which worked. Then about 6 years ago I started on Celexa. I had no side effects and it has worked perfectly for me. I just increased to 40 mg due to some extremely challenging changes in my life. Again I have had no side effects; I am in control of my emotions and not feeling over medicated. This has been a godsend for me and I am comfortable telling people about it."

Anonymous August 19, 2015

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "Sometimes I think that someone employed by Celexa inc create the responses I read on this site. Most of the positive experiences do not seem likely. Celexa has been a nightmare for me. It makes me so angry. I'm from the big easy and would like to consider myself laidback. I have a very strong belief the reason this medication is prescribed so frequently is so the docs or the powers that be can receive the kick back from by pharmacy. I truly believe that. I'm going on month 4 and currently take 40mgs. I cannot report any positive effects. I can attest to a loss in libido, rashes, depression, weight gain, dry mouth, loss of appetite, aches and I can go on. And the only reason I take it is to obtain the medication that I do get relief from."

Mobraver (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 16, 2015

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "I've been taking 10mg of Celexa a day for almost 3 weeks now. The first week i experienced minor side effects, excessive yawning, irregular heartbeat, anxiety and so on. I came around to the medication about 5 days into it and was feeling good, i wasn't anxious about socialising and i wasn't having as many negative thoughts (this lasted a week). But now I'm feeling as though I'm returning to my old self. This might be to early to call as I've only taken 18 days worth of tablets but I'm beginning to think my body has built a tolerance for it already. I'm due an appointment with the doc next week so i will enquire about possibly upping the dosage and will review again once i have. I've never taken antidepressants so trial and error i suppose!"

chambers123 August 13, 2015

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "Coming up to the 1 year mark, been on 20mg per day until this week when I've increased to 30mg. Until last few weeks my anxiety has been manageable but now I feel it returning due to some personal issues at home. Compared to how I was this time last year just before I started I am ten times better, but am by no means cured. I've increased my dosage with doctors guidance in order to continue managing my anxiety and depression.I find this medication great in most ways but the side effects are not good. I had severe nausea for the first 3 weeks, night tremors, hot sweats, no appetite. Within 4 weeks these had all gone completely but I've found that I suffer with terrible short term memory, increased hair loss and alcohol affects me much worse."

RatcliffesGirl August 11, 2015

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "I have had absolutely no side effects while on this medication. My anxiety is obviously not "cured" but the symptoms are much more manageable and they occur less frequently . My life has SIGNIFICANTLY improved since beginning Celexa. Not only do I feel less anxious most of the time, but my social skills have improved. I'm not afraid to talk to people as much anymore. I know some people believe that antidepressants change who you are, but that is not true. If they do, that is not the drug for you. The right antidepressant is suppose to allow you to be who you are without (as much) anxiety. **IMPORTANT: You do have to be on the look out for drug interactions. There are many antibiotics you shouldn't take while taking Celexa including Cipro.**"

Liv from CA (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 9, 2015

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: "I took Celexa yrs ago for mild depression & it helped. Then stopped. Now I'm taking 20 mg for major depression & it's not doing much. The side effect is an upset stomach. I still just want to stay in bed. I also take 1 mg of Klonopin at 11:00 pm so I can sleep through the nite. I am thinking of asking my pdoc for Wellbutrin or Effexor. I'm not in a good place."

wannabbetter (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 8, 2015

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "I personally think celexa worked very well for me. I got on it due to a lot of anxiety in college and I started to have panic attacks but then realized it helped with some depression as well. I was very foggy for the first 2 weeks and didn't feel like myself but stuck it out and it worked great for 3 months! I just got bumped up to 20mg because it seems to be wearing off but so far so great! stick with it."

Anonymous August 6, 2015

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: "I've taken this medication for about 3:years now. Back when I was diagnosed with major depression one of the first medications I tried was celexa. It helped me out of a very bad place. Like every medication it has its side effects, but compared to other medications they are minimal. This medication, along with exercise and a healthy diet, helped turn my life around. There are no side effects worth mentioning besides mind drowsiness and a lack of energy on higher doses. If you feel stuck I would highly recommend celexa your first choice for meds"

MB1812 August 5, 2015

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "I started taking Celexa about 1 1/2 weeks ago, started at 10 mg and upped to 20 three days ago. I had been on Zoloft prior for about 5 years but it stopped working. Was off of it for about 2 months before starting Celexa. Experiencing an increase of anxiety, tiredness and an overall sense of exhaustion. Does it get better, will these side effects go away eventually? My doctor said the increased anxiety is not caused by the meds. Yes I was anxious and needed something but my anxiety is much higher since taking the meds so I don't necessarily believe the doctor 100%. I want to stop taking it but I also want to feel "normal" and no these meds can be very helpful. Any advice would be greatly appreciated."

ZoeyP August 3, 2015

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I was a depressed with extreme generalized anxiety disorder. I was a total mess to the point I couldn't function properly on my daily life. I was put on valium (Diazepam) but it's a very temporary fix, plus it's extremely addictive. So my doctor change my medication and put me on 20 ml of Citalopram (celexa) a day. What a life saver it has been. Depression has disappeared 100% and my anxiety is gone 80%. Only side effects I'm noticing is my sex drive, it's almost gone. Also I feel slightly tired sometimes. But it's totally worth it. I guess you can't have your cake and eat it too."

SofiaLondon (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 2, 2015

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: "I suffer from PTSD and severe chronic depression. I have been on multiple medications, taking 10-12 pills a day. My doctor recommending celexa for depression as well as my anxiety, and guess what. I am now on 4 pills a day celexa for depression, klonopin for my anxiety attacks, ambien to help me sleep, and prazosin to keep my nightmares at bay. Celexa works for me amazingly, it has calmed me down some and I used to just burst out in tears at the simplest things because they reminded me of my past. Not anymore. Although I have it a 9 and not a 10 because the first couple weeks are rough. I was very VERY lethargic and sleepy and I was still having mood swings which got a little worse. I stuck with it and it changed me."

Crazy lady ;) (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 29, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress: "This medication did not help me. I took it the first time today and after a few hours waves of nausea came over me and I've been sick 5 times in the past few hours. I also seem to be clenching my jaw very tight and shaking. I will not be continuing this medication."

aJ78271 (taken for less than 1 month) July 28, 2015

For Depression: "Waking up sweating bad in the night, tired all the time. I'm takin 30mg but apart from that I feel ok"

Anonymous July 27, 2015

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "I battled with severe panic attacks and generalized anxiety. It got so bad that I was unable to leave the house. The panic attacks would happen everywhere and would feel dizzy, sweat, have palpitations, and diarrhea. I would eventually run out of the store crying. I turned to my doctor who recommended 20mg of Celexa. After about 5 weeks of pretty harsh side effects such as extreme tiredness, restlessness, and agitation, the panic attacks stopped. Thanks to Celexa, I got my life back and was able to go out again. It was a lifesaver. I've been on it for about two years now, and have started to successfully wean off. The reason I didn't give it a 10 is because it took a while to kick in and the side effects were pretty severe."

MisoCat July 27, 2015

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "Celexa 10 mg for social anxiety, 2 wk of side effects. IT WORKS. I can feel my emotions. (I would walk on glass to get another prescription). Tried Prozac and Zoloft with out success, they made me feel wired. However, everyone body are different. (Hang in there, it's worth the wait.)"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 26, 2015

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "June 23, Dr. prescribed 20 mg. of Celexa for social anxiety at work. I was running out of options. Thought I was going to have to stop working after 20 yrs. with the same company. My 15 year teen felt sorry for us. Tried Zoloft at first,made me very tired, more like a (zombie). The Celexa 20 mg. first dose, made me feel wired, scared, paranoid, more anxiety, I could not leave the house. A coworker who have very good success with Celexa recommended me to start with 1/4 mg. of a 10 mg. tablet and increase it when my body and mind work it out.....and it did! About every 5 days, However, the FIRST AND SECOND week I took off work and watch t.v. and went walking. Now I am at 10 mg. in 1 month. Social Anxiety gone,plan to increase to 15 mg."

Anonymous July 25, 2015

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: "I started this medication due to depression and uncontrollable panic attacks and anxiety. I started on 10mg and had very bad nausea, very tired and no appetite. The first two weeks were the same but the definitely by the 3rd week I could feel by body calming down and was quite pleased. Unfortunately, I started having awful tingling and burning in my arms, mostly the left. Now I have titrated off and now on Effexor, but I am still having the burning and tingling in the arm but have had only 1 panic attack. The first two weeks are hard but hang in there. It will be worth it!!!! I wanted to give up as well but I had to think about my family and that pushed me through. I'm not 100% but I can drive and socialize now without getting as panicked."

Be Patient July 25, 2015

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "This medication was a magic heal for me. I had suffered from depression and severe anxiety issues for years, being tested with various medications, head shrinkers, etc. my most recent doctor first met with me he instantly suggested this medication. Within four weeks I felt better, at my follow up appointment after eight weeks my doctor could tell the improvement I had made socially. He suggested I increase dose, I've had no side effects from it, and have had decent improvement so far. Turns out he was right and now after 2 weeks increased dose I feel like a different person. I'm not nervous to speak to others, I'm not irritable, shy, or depressed like I was before. For me, this was what I needed. Social anxiety and depression in the past"

Jiff1912 July 23, 2015

For Depression: "I had been on 20mg citalopram for the past 3months for PTSD and depression. Recently have been increased to 40mg. I can't sleep at night, have a dry mouth/always thirsty and noticed the other night how tight I clench my jaw when trying to sleep. Today I have a sick/knotted feeling in my tummy, eat to settle it despite not feeling any hunger but it doesn't help. Dreams have always been ok. Made a mistake of missing a few days and the nausea was horrendous will never forget to take it again. X"

EmmaR123 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 22, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress: "This medication has saved my life!! I have always been a Type A person, a worry wart. However, as I approached my 40's I started having major anxiety attacks that left me feeling like I was going crazy. I was scared to death that I would never find relieve and was terrified about taking pills so I chose to go the natural route with herbs, meditation, exercise and diet. Those things helped but my anxiety was still out of control so I finally went to see a psych who prescribed Citalopram. The first 6 weeks were HELL with major increased anxiety, insomnia, loss of appetite. My doc prescribed Ativan to help while the Citalopram started working but I was afraid to take them (stupid!). After 6 weeks (30mg) life was wonderful. I'll never go off"

thankfulmom July 21, 2015

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: "Felt better in 2 days ! This is a miracle for me. Suffered with terrible depression for years. Also had severe anxiety and panic attacks. I have NO side effects from Celexa. It is WONDERFUL from my personal experience."

Brook Smit July 19, 2015

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Panic Disorder: "I started celexa a week ego for anxiety / panick atacks . I was prescribe a very low dose 0.5 mg a day and Xanax 0.25 as needed . So far a had experienced of body shake / tremors and fast and rapid heart beat as soon as I wake up. Has anyone experienced the same side effects ?? It is very annoying , sometimes I am even scare to fall asleep ."

motyl30 (taken for less than 1 month) July 18, 2015