User Reviews for Citalopram

Also known as: Celexa

Learn more about Citalopram.

Severe Mood Dysregulation 0 reviews 0 medications

Occipital Neuralgia 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Vulvodynia 0 reviews 9 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Citalopram reviews 846 reviews 8.1

Reviews for Citalopram

For Anxiety and Stress: "Works great for me. I had severe crippling anxiety. If you work out while on this medicine you feel great."

Knomge July 12, 2014

For Depression: "Here we go again with these meds. I have severe depression. The best that I can say while taking this medicine is that I was just depressed. I have no energy and that is saying something because I take 60mg of Adderal daily. To be fair, I don't know if it was the depression that wiped me out or this medicine. I need to exercise and enjoyed it in the past, but I couldn't do ANYTHING on this. My doc gave me a script for Luvox. Wish me luck."

Scootscat (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 11, 2014

For Anxiety and Stress: "After putting off getting help for a very long time....I am on 40mg a day, started off with 20mg. I also need to take beta blockers to calm my nerves. But overall these tablets are great. Don't be worried about side affects, everyone is different and you may not get any. I do feel very tired and less energetic, but in reality I was a little like this before the medication from being mentally exhausted. Only thing I find is that if I miss one tablet (from taking 2 a day), I suffer for days. I was also very ill after having a very small amount of alcohol on them (so I just stay tea total now). But they certainly take the edge off and I don't feel like a zombie on them :)"

k mansar (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 10, 2014

For Depression: "35 yo female, wife, three kids - 11 yo son and 4 yo twin girls. I went through therapy which helped A LOT but I was still struggling. I was very impatient, easily agitated, would lash out at my family. I was basically driving everyone away from me. My doc suggested citalopram and I hesitated at first, then decided to take it. I noticed a difference from day one. My twins definitely put the meds to the test, but I was able to deal with them as a patient, rational adult. Side effects - sleepy a lot, sweaty a lot, occasional upset stomach. My husband has noticed how much better I am too. I REALLY hope the sleepy, sweaty beast goes away, but other than that I truly am happy, functional, fun to be around again. Thank goodness!"

HappyMomAgain (taken for less than 1 month) July 8, 2014

For Anxiety and Stress: "I had some personal problems at home that seriously took their toll after about 4 years of "getting on with life" as a full time working mum to a toddler and not looking after my mental health. Once my daughter started school, I FINALLY took the long-overdue step to do something about how I was feeling - exhausted emotionally, constantly tearful, low self esteem, anxious with doom-filled thoughts and a constant sense of failure. I was prescribe Citalopram but held off taking it for 24 hours as I was convinced I was going suffer from all the adverse side effects I'd read about. However, within 4 or 5 hours of taking my first pill I felt notably brighter, more balanced and with a better sense of equilibrium - I truly cant believe it!"

Woodsy13 (taken for less than 1 month) June 30, 2014

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "This medicine changed our lives for a couple of bucks a month! My husband had suffered with generalized anxiety disorder for years but until I was at the end of my rope and googled his symptoms we had no idea. We went to our doc, explained his symptoms, he prescribed Citalopram and oh my goodness life is as it should be. My joke is, my husband doesn't like me when he's not taking his Citalopram!"

londonfever June 24, 2014

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "Started Celexa 10mg beginning of January for stress and anxiety. Went to 20mg in February. This medicine is truly great. I never really had all the side effects. I can truly say I feel 100 percent normal now. No more anxiety or panic attacks. I feel like a normal person again. Probably be on them forever but if I feel great then who cares. "

Bill71 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 23, 2014

225 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "Was put on 10mg for intense panic attacks, and later moved up to 20mg. This stuff has worked wonderfully! I feel like I'm finally the way I should be - you know how you see other people who are completely relaxed and at peace, and you wonder, "why can't I be like that? Why do I have all this anxiety for no reason?" Well, all of that is gone! It's amazing! I would recommend Celexa to anyone. The only downside is I experienced A LOT of side effects the first month I was on it - increased anxiety, jaw-clenching, headaches, insomnia. But, if you bear down and get yourself through the first month, it's worth it. I finally have my life back!"

Kbh211 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 13, 2014

243 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: "When I first started taking it, it really helped me but now it's been over a month and I feel like I did before. I take 40 mg and I need help it's like I am taking nothing at all."

Ladydi4922 June 9, 2014

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "Did some yawning in the first week and then my libido started to diminish. After two weeks my yawning went away and was replaced with clarity and a clear mind. The unfortunate downside at 20 mg after two weeks was absolute zero libido, I couldn't have an erection. It's too bad because it's a very effective medicine otherwise. I've switched to Wellbutrin, haven't started it, going through a one-week wash off Celexa."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 26, 2014

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I have suffered from generalised anxiety for a long period of time. I had been prescribed Citaolpram combined with propranonol for over a five month period. I found no improvements with my mental health and had to go back to my GP to change my medication."

Lorelle Smith (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 23, 2014

For Panic Disorder: "I have had panic attacks for 10 years, I've been extremely scared of trying medication but I finally got desperate enough to try citalopram. It's been nearly 2 months since I started and I have yet to feel any relief whatsoever. Started with 10mg then upped to 20mg. I'm thinking about quitting."

Nick d (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 23, 2014

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: "I am 28 year old female. I was prescribed 10 mg. I read a lot of reviews on Celexa where people said they felt a difference the first week and was starting to get really disappointed when I felt no different in that time frame. I have been on it for exactly 7 weeks now and am just now starting to notice a difference. My interests have returned, I have more energy, and I am able to focus. Overall I am definitely happier and don't feel down in the dumps anymore. The only side effect I had was it made me very tired in the beginning but that has gone away completely. For me, Celexa is working!"

melissa9 May 20, 2014

155 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I have lived with Generalized Anxiety Disorder for as long as I can remember, like being sick before going to school every morning (I'm now 40). Nearly a year ago, my doctor tried me on Citalopram, mainly to help with headaches and muscle tension, but he commented it might help my anxiety as well (have had counseling sessions and Prozac, none much use). A couple of months in, I was astonished at how something I had come to live with was ruling my life and began to think differently about day to day life and enjoy things I used to worry endlessly about. However, I can now not come off them. I have tried to stop, but the GAD just comes back, worse than it was before."

Darren(UK) (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 20, 2014

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: "Helped with anxiety but not as much for depression. I had to get off this medicine because it caused me to put on 100lbs in 2 years. I've been off for a year and lost 80lbs. Kind of defeats the purpose of medicine if it causes such weight gain."

Bk4 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 17, 2014

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: "I was diagnosed with major depression 6 years ago when I was 18 years old. I was started on 100mg of Zoloft. You hear the commercials about side effects of SSRIs about how they can "increase suicidal thoughts in children and young adults". Well Zoloft did that to me and made my depression even worse until I eventually was suicidal and was hospitalized. Then they switched me to 60mg Celexa and I have never had any problems with it! I've been on it for 5 1/2 years and the only side effect I have is low libido. The FDA lowered the max recommended dose to 40mg so my doctor lowered my dose too. I have been okay on 40mg but I wish I was still allowed to have the 60mg. I wonder why the max dose got lowered?"

ilovebrutus May 17, 2014

For Anxiety and Stress: "This medicine has helped me. I have taken others for my anxiety, that did not work well. It does make me over heat easier. That is the only draw back to it."

Klutt May 14, 2014

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: "Gave me horrible dreams - talking in my sleep."

Darktragedy (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 13, 2014

For Anxiety and Stress: "I was on citalopram, for about two years. After being off of antidepressants for a while, citalopram worked like a charm for my anxiety. I started mellowing out and finding myself less and less anxious. I really came out of my shell and started being more outgoing and happy. However, this medication also came with some side effects that never went away, like dry mouth and fatigue. I could literally sleep all afternoon even after sleeping 8 hours the night before. I also felt numb to emotions and never felt high or low...just there. I had a breakdown last fall and got off the medication idiotically. When I got back on it, it decreased my anxiety but did not help me get back on the "happy wagon.""

anutterblonde (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 12, 2014

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "I started Celexa a little over a week ago for Generalized Anxiety, thought to be associated with my Irritable Bowel Syndrome-D. Doctors are still reluctant to associate moods/stress affecting your stomach and bowels, but I am a firm believer (after living my whole life with anxiety and IBS) that there IS a definite correlation. I am a 26 y/o female. I weigh 110 lbs. I was put on 10 mg and only took a half pill the first 6 days. Then I upped it to a whole pill. The initial 2 days, I had a migraine headache and insomnia at night and a restless/anxious feeling during the day. I would wake up in a panic with racing thoughts. Now it has gotten a bit better, but I don't think I've been on it long enough yet to experience definite anxiety help. Trying to stick with it!"

eileen4226 (taken for less than 1 month) May 11, 2014

103 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress: "Ive been on this medication for around 3.5 wks now & the difference is amazing. Pro's - My temper has calmed considerably, I don't feel foggy or anxious the whole time, I can sleep & the most amazing thing is that the Bulimia episodes have pretty much stopped altogether! Con's - I have pretty much no appetite to the extent that I remind myself to eat or I feel ill, a bit of dizziness, really tired first couple of weeks but now I feel like I have lots of energy, upset stomach a few times. Its only early days but I'm actually laughing & feel human again! I'm hoping that these help me to resolve issues going forward."

BooBoo36 May 9, 2014

Celexa (citalopram) for Anxiety and Stress: "The first month I was very nauseous and felt foggy after taking the medication. Soon after that nausea went away. I am taking 10mg, this medication is extremely helpful."

College student (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 23, 2014

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression: "I feel amazing. I was an absolute wreck, unreasonable. Paranoid, emotional, moody. My boyfriend was at his wits end so I went to the DR's and was told I was depressed! I was so shocked but it all made sense. I have been described 20mg of citalopram and I feel the effects already. I feel a bit nauseous about 2 hours after taking the tablet and my sleep is affected but otherwise I no longer get overwhelmed, I don't feel paranoid and I don't feel at rock bottom at every little thing. I am feeling so positive and my boyfriend is so happy to have the old me back. Taking this medicine has made me realize just how bad I was."

Samstar1983 (taken for less than 1 month) April 20, 2014

Celexa (citalopram) for Depression: "Works great. I feel like myself again- positive, energetic, interest in activities has returned."

CedarSage87401 April 18, 2014

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress: "I'm 19 years old, I've suffered from depression, stress, bulimia and anxiety for several years. My background is Chinese, therefore my parents are very judgmental (not all Chinese parents are) but they don't really believe in such kind of illness and they will lose face if any of their friends knew what was wrong with me, one day I couldn't bare it so I went to the doc, she gave me citalopram 10mg. This is my second day, I've experience dizziness and diarrhea but apart from that I feel like I've been more happy and positive."

Minime1234 April 18, 2014