User Reviews for Ciprofloxacin

Also known as: Cipro, Cipro Cystitis Pack, Cipro I.V., Cipro XR, Proquin XR

Learn more about Ciprofloxacin.

Ciprofloxacin Review Summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 79 medications used in the treatment of Bladder Infection.

Reviews for Ciprofloxacin to treat Bladder Infection

"I've been prescribed Cipro several times and have never had a problem with the drastic side effects others have posted here. I usually have 60% relief within 6 hours of taking the first pill. By day two, the burning is pretty much gone. The frequency and bloating slowly resolve during the rest of the treatment days. I use AZO to help with pain at the onset, but usually only need to take 1 dose before the Cipro kicks in."

KateW May 14, 2015

Cipro (ciprofloxacin): "I have to be on it for 2 months due to surgery and chronic bladder infection..women..please eat something and take a probiotic with this medicine. Working great! No complaints and no yeast infection..yay!"

jerzeegirl1 February 26, 2015

Cipro (ciprofloxacin): "Cipro worked the first day for reducing the urgency, but I must not have eaten enough, because I felt like vomiting. The second day I had diarrhea, and the third day, I have the urgency back, but not as painful."

DlReed November 18, 2014

"I took Cipro (500mg 2x/day) for a bladder infection and the only side effect I got was some drowsiness. A few days into taking it, I made the mistake of reading medication reviews and I thought for sure it was going to slowly kill me. Well, I don't know if any other side effects are going to creep up on me in the future, but I can assure you that the actual course of medicine worked just the way it was supposed to, with no serious side effects. The conclusion--there are either a ton of people with pyschosomatic tendencies or I am some sort of anomaly."

ajmar (taken for less than 1 month) October 28, 2014

Cipro (ciprofloxacin): "This medicine gave me the relief of symptoms of pain, urgency and frequency I needed quickly but I felt bad otherwise with overall fatigue and joint pain everywhere. Seven Days of that was worth it to me to rid me of that infection. But I worry if those side effects could worsen if I use it again in the future."

carrosa (taken for less than 1 month) April 13, 2014

"I have very frequent bladder infections and I take Cipro. It always works except for this time. I took it twice yesterday as prescribed but I woke up every hour last night having to go. I've never had a problem with it not working, but maybe I'm developing an immunity to it because of the amount I get bladder infections."

Still Miserable February 10, 2014

"Cipro worked great for my urinary tract infection after 3 days of taking it I was back to normal. I would definitely ask your doctor for it if you have a UTI."

izack December 17, 2013

"Cipro is great! I feel relief after an hour of taking it but I also take Cranberry pills on the first couple doses to help with flushing... Pain is minimal after the first dose along with frequency."

MRaeS (taken for less than 1 month) December 17, 2013

Cipro (ciprofloxacin): "I love Cipro. I have had it several times before for a bladder infection, and again recently after passing a kidney stone. It works so fast. I have nothing bad to say about it, in fact I have noticed that my skin has cleared up, I know it isn't for that but my skin has never been this clear."

Anonymous October 16, 2013

Cipro (ciprofloxacin): "This medicine gave me quick relief from the urinary tract infection, however I am vomiting and have diarrhea. The pharmacist label said to take on an empty stomach but when I called them, they said I can eat just no dairy. Hopefully with something in my stomach the side effects will decrease."

Anonymous54 May 7, 2013

"Cipro works great for me and is what I ask for. I've always been given 500 mg twice a day. Knocks out the pain and burning within 24 hours. For those who say they always get a yeast infection... take a supplement of acidophilus every day to replenish the good bacteria in your system. You won't get the yeast infection if you do this. Take it several days after stopping the Cipro, and you'll be good to go! "

mybladder April 25, 2013

Cipro (ciprofloxacin): "I took one dose and within about 3 hours the blood started to clear from the urine and pain lessened; however, soon I got a bad headache, nausea, and chills. Within about 12 hours from the first (and only)dose I was in the hospital--vomiting and feeling miserable. Was there for 3 days taking a different antibiotic and fluids by IV. One week later bad diahrrea, and pain in knee joint. Must be allergic to Cipro--will remember that for sure!"

Tough lesson January 23, 2013

"Four days ago I started on Cipro for urinary tract infection. I am allergic to Bactrim. I have taken it before. It is very effective and fast acting, However, this evening I started having side effects. Both legs from about 6" above the knee, down through my feet, ache, tingle, and sting like I have a band around my thigh cutting off circulation. I called the office that prescribed it, due to printout from the pharmacy. He just says if I am concerned, go to the ER. So I am going off it, and waiting to see what happens. I have 6 pills left."

Tammyinwv (taken for less than 1 month) January 9, 2013

"Felt relief within 3 hours of taking it! Three days into it, I still feel the urgency to "go", but the pain and all other symptoms are gone. I too have headaches, but they are minimal. Medication insert said you can take vitamins/iron after a minimum of 2 hours of taking Cipro and I can live without milk for 10 days. Hang in there, I freaked out after reading the "warnings", but so far, so good."

GVB (taken for less than 1 month) November 7, 2012

Cipro (ciprofloxacin): "I had a major bladder infection and was prescribed Cipro. I had diarrhea and dizzy spells the entire time I took this medicine. I told my new primary doctor to prescribe Amoxicillin. He told me that Cipro is better. My former doctor prescribed Amoxil and I never had problems with that medicine."

Dim Sum (taken for less than 1 month) October 15, 2012

Cipro (ciprofloxacin): "Had a bad allergic reaction to this medication after 2 pills and stopped taking it. Asked for another DIFFERENT medication."

Anonymous July 11, 2012

"I was prescribed Cipro after having a SEVERE bladder infection. Within 3-4 hours, I started feeling relief, by 12 hours I was almost completely better. Be sure to take all of the medication, or it may come back worse. Overall, Cipro worked like a charm and gave me almost instant relief. "

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 3, 2012

Cipro (ciprofloxacin): "Caused severe allergic reaction when I had never had a reaction to any medication before. Had to be hospitalized. Doctor said he has been seeing more and more allergic reactions to Cipro."

Anonymous April 14, 2012

"I've had a couple bladder infections. This is the first time I've taken Cipro. It did it's job and got rid of the infection and relieved my symptoms pretty quickly. But the side effects made it so I couldn't wait to be done with the medicine. It made my knees ache, gave me terrible, terrible headaches and made me extremely tired. Also, it was quite agitating not being able to take my vitamins or with milk. I am grateful to have my bladder infection gone, but these side effects were not enjoyable."

Anonymous April 9, 2012

"Cipro is the only medicine that cures my resistent bladder infections. One doctor prescribed 10 days of Bactrim, but it didn't work. After 10 days on the Bactrim and being miserable and in considerable pain, I was prescribed Cipro (three pills for three days). After taking the second Cipro pill, my symptoms were completely gone! Cipro is truly a wonder medicine for me."

Anonymous February 29, 2012

"Cipro is the only thing that gets rid of my bladder infections. It is fantastic and I ask for it whenever I get a bladder infection. I do notice that I need to take it hours apart from my hypothyroid medication, or else it decreases the effectiveness of my thyroid medicines. But Cipro is the only thing that cures my bladder infections."

Anonymous January 17, 2012

"I have a dual urinary tract system and as a result have had many urinary tract infections and kidney/bladder infections over the years with several operations. Ciprofloxacin has always been the medicine prescribed by my urologist and/or doctors. I would not use another medicine as this gives minimal side effects and my issues are rectified. You must drink and continue to drink plenty of water."

Anonymous December 23, 2011

"I have had a lifetime of bladder infections and ciprofloxacin (although a little annoying because of the dairy and iron) it works wonders! By the second dose the pain is 95% gone. My advice take it with a handful of Cheerios and first thing in the morning and about 11 hours later at night when you haven't had too much dairy (like a glass of milk or a steak). I had no side effects and I always get it for at least one week to 10 days. I've taken just about every other one and I've had the infections come back. Ciprofloxacin is always my first choice!"

Anonymous November 6, 2011

"2 -250 mg for 3 days. Worked great! Left me very tired, lightly nauseous and a little heartburn (and perhaps developing a little yeast infection) but nothing I can't handle. I got great night of sleep but my days were bad. I did get freaked out by some of the reviews I read but I had to remember that hundreds, if not thousands, of people take this medicine and only the ones with bad reactions will post anything (only a fraction of the people prescribed it). It works differently with everyone so do not let these reviews make your mind up. Take it one pill at a time and see how it affects you. Tip: take the pill with a lot of water and food in your belly. This helped me. Good luck!"

Anonymous October 21, 2011

Cipro (ciprofloxacin): "It made my whole body hurt specially my joints and my ankles"

acv July 26, 2011