User Reviews for Ciprofloxacin

Also known as: Cipro, Cipro Cystitis Pack, Cipro I.V., Cipro XR, Proquin XR

Learn more about Ciprofloxacin.

Ciprofloxacin review summary

7.0/10 Average Rating

Compare all 77 medications used in the treatment of Bladder Infection.

Reviews for Ciprofloxacin to treat Bladder Infection

Review by carrosa (taken for less than 1 month):

Cipro (ciprofloxacin): This medicine gave me the relief of symptoms of pain, urgency and frequency I needed quickly but I felt bad otherwise with overall fatigue and joint pain everywhere. Seven Days of that was worth it to me to rid me of that infection. But I worry if those side effects could worsen if I use it again in the future.

April 13, 2014 10:26 AM

Review by Still Miserable:

I have very frequent bladder infections and I take Cipro. It always works except for this time. I took it twice yesterday as prescribed but I woke up every hour last night having to go. I've never had a problem with it not working, but maybe I'm developing an immunity to it because of the amount I get bladder infections.

February 10, 2014 7:27 AM

Review by izack:

Cipro worked great for my urinary tract infection after 3 days of taking it I was back to normal. I would definitely ask your doctor for it if you have a UTI.

December 17, 2013 8:27 PM

Review by MRaeS (taken for less than 1 month):

Cipro is great! I feel relief after an hour of taking it but I also take Cranberry pills on the first couple doses to help with flushing... Pain is minimal after the first dose along with frequency.

December 17, 2013 7:59 AM

Cipro (ciprofloxacin): I love Cipro. I have had it several times before for a bladder infection, and again recently after passing a kidney stone. It works so fast. I have nothing bad to say about it, in fact I have noticed that my skin has cleared up, I know it isn't for that but my skin has never been this clear.

October 16, 2013 5:50 PM

Review by Anonymous54:

Cipro (ciprofloxacin): This medicine gave me quick relief from the urinary tract infection, however I am vomiting and have diarrhea. The pharmacist label said to take on an empty stomach but when I called them, they said I can eat just no dairy. Hopefully with something in my stomach the side effects will decrease.

May 7, 2013 10:50 AM

Review by mybladder:

Cipro works great for me and is what I ask for. I've always been given 500 mg twice a day. Knocks out the pain and burning within 24 hours. For those who say they always get a yeast infection... take a supplement of acidophilus every day to replenish the good bacteria in your system. You won't get the yeast infection if you do this. Take it several days after stopping the Cipro, and you'll be good to go!

April 25, 2013 10:39 PM

Review by Tough lesson:

Cipro (ciprofloxacin): I took one dose and within about 3 hours the blood started to clear from the urine and pain lessened; however, soon I got a bad headache, nausea, and chills. Within about 12 hours from the first (and only)dose I was in the hospital--vomiting and feeling miserable. Was there for 3 days taking a different antibiotic and fluids by IV. One week later bad diahrrea, and pain in knee joint. Must be allergic to Cipro--will remember that for sure!

January 23, 2013 5:09 PM

Review by Tammyinwv (taken for less than 1 month):

Four days ago I started on Cipro for urinary tract infection. I am allergic to Bactrim. I have taken it before. It is very effective and fast acting, However, this evening I started having side effects. Both legs from about 6" above the knee, down through my feet, ache, tingle, and sting like I have a band around my thigh cutting off circulation. I called the office that prescribed it, due to printout from the pharmacy. He just says if I am concerned, go to the ER. So I am going off it, and waiting to see what happens. I have 6 pills left.

January 9, 2013 9:31 PM

Review by GVB (taken for less than 1 month):

Felt relief within 3 hours of taking it! Three days into it, I still feel the urgency to "go", but the pain and all other symptoms are gone. I too have headaches, but they are minimal. Medication insert said you can take vitamins/iron after a minimum of 2 hours of taking Cipro and I can live without milk for 10 days. Hang in there, I freaked out after reading the "warnings", but so far, so good.

November 7, 2012 11:43 AM

Review by Dim Sum (taken for less than 1 month):

Cipro (ciprofloxacin): I had a major bladder infection and was prescribed Cipro. I had diarrhea and dizzy spells the entire time I took this medicine. I told my new primary doctor to prescribe Amoxicillin. He told me that Cipro is better. My former doctor prescribed Amoxil and I never had problems with that medicine.

October 15, 2012 2:16 AM

Cipro (ciprofloxacin): Had a bad allergic reaction to this medication after 2 pills and stopped taking it. Asked for another DIFFERENT medication.

July 11, 2012 10:56 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

I was prescribed Cipro after having a SEVERE bladder infection. Within 3-4 hours, I started feeling relief, by 12 hours I was almost completely better. Be sure to take all of the medication, or it may come back worse. Overall, Cipro worked like a charm and gave me almost instant relief.

July 3, 2012 11:03 AM

Cipro (ciprofloxacin): Caused severe allergic reaction when I had never had a reaction to any medication before. Had to be hospitalized. Doctor said he has been seeing more and more allergic reactions to Cipro.

April 14, 2012 5:04 AM

I've had a couple bladder infections. This is the first time I've taken Cipro. It did it's job and got rid of the infection and relieved my symptoms pretty quickly. But the side effects made it so I couldn't wait to be done with the medicine. It made my knees ache, gave me terrible, terrible headaches and made me extremely tired. Also, it was quite agitating not being able to take my vitamins or with milk. I am grateful to have my bladder infection gone, but these side effects were not enjoyable.

April 9, 2012 11:38 PM

Cipro is the only medicine that cures my resistent bladder infections. One doctor prescribed 10 days of Bactrim, but it didn't work. After 10 days on the Bactrim and being miserable and in considerable pain, I was prescribed Cipro (three pills for three days). After taking the second Cipro pill, my symptoms were completely gone! Cipro is truly a wonder medicine for me.

February 29, 2012 4:39 PM

Cipro is the only thing that gets rid of my bladder infections. It is fantastic and I ask for it whenever I get a bladder infection. I do notice that I need to take it hours apart from my hypothyroid medication, or else it decreases the effectiveness of my thyroid medicines. But Cipro is the only thing that cures my bladder infections.

January 17, 2012 7:06 PM

I have a dual urinary tract system and as a result have had many urinary tract infections and kidney/bladder infections over the years with several operations. Ciprofloxacin has always been the medicine prescribed by my urologist and/or doctors. I would not use another medicine as this gives minimal side effects and my issues are rectified. You must drink and continue to drink plenty of water.

December 23, 2011 9:47 AM

I have had a lifetime of bladder infections and ciprofloxacin (although a little annoying because of the dairy and iron) it works wonders! By the second dose the pain is 95% gone. My advice take it with a handful of Cheerios and first thing in the morning and about 11 hours later at night when you haven't had too much dairy (like a glass of milk or a steak). I had no side effects and I always get it for at least one week to 10 days. I've taken just about every other one and I've had the infections come back. Ciprofloxacin is always my first choice!

November 6, 2011 5:14 PM

2 -250 mg for 3 days. Worked great! Left me very tired, lightly nauseous and a little heartburn (and perhaps developing a little yeast infection) but nothing I can't handle. I got great night of sleep but my days were bad. I did get freaked out by some of the reviews I read but I had to remember that hundreds, if not thousands, of people take this medicine and only the ones with bad reactions will post anything (only a fraction of the people prescribed it). It works differently with everyone so do not let these reviews make your mind up. Take it one pill at a time and see how it affects you. Tip: take the pill with a lot of water and food in your belly. This helped me. Good luck!

October 21, 2011 4:42 PM

Review by acv:

Cipro (ciprofloxacin): It made my whole body hurt specially my joints and my ankles

July 26, 2011 5:44 PM

Cipro (ciprofloxacin): Caused me violent abdominal pain, flank pain, nausea, and headache. After 3 days, I called my doctor for a different medicine.

June 24, 2011 8:16 PM

Cipro (ciprofloxacin): I had to stop taken the medicine due to getting yellowing of the skin, fevers, nightmares, severe headaches, dizziness, hot flashes, restlessness, nausea, etc. The medicine was fine until about 3 days into it then I began to feel worse and it was even hard for me to breathe. I may be one of the select few who reacted this way and I followed everything that I was told to do exactly.

March 5, 2011 1:21 PM

Cipro (ciprofloxacin): I am on my 3rd day of taking ciprofloxacin and it's working great. Although I do get intense headaches but I would rather that short term rather than have the constant feeling of needing 2 go 2 the toilet.

February 7, 2011 3:26 AM

Review by legabeagle2:

Cipro (ciprofloxacin): Cipro is magical when it comes to bladder infections. Please do not drink milk and please make sure you eat a cracker, a piece of bread or other food prior to taking this medication. It is by far the strongest and most effective for severe bladder infections. Within just hours you no longer feel that constant annoying urgency to urinate and the pain of the oncoming infection lessens the first day of taking Cipro. And, lastly, however most importantly, do not have intercourse for at least a week or longer.

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 16, 2010 11:23 AM