User Reviews for Chlorpromazine

Also known as: Ormazine, Thorazine

Learn more about Chlorpromazine.

Hiccups 5 reviews 8 medications

Porphyria 0 reviews 3 medications Not rated - Be the first
Tetanus 0 reviews 20 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Chlorpromazine reviews 21 reviews 6.9

Reviews for Chlorpromazine

For Mania: "My son was put on thorazine 3 months ago and he says the only thing it does for him is help him sleep better. He has a very flat affect, is zombie-like, and has changed his whole personality. I am not comfortable with him taking this and his clinician is looking to change it."

Yammie April 10, 2015

For Mania: "This medicine has helped me far better than any of the other concoctions, and doesn't have as much of the weight gain problem. I am on 400 mg. My insurance hates that I take it and charges me $133 for it...and it's worth every penny. It stops many urges that come along with mania, but it does flatten you out--those of you that are bipolar know what I'm talking about. This medicine helps me get into actual REM sleep and there are no nightmares; and it keeps me calm all day long. I love it."

Nickole Clarke April 3, 2015

Thorazine (chlorpromazine) for : "The medication took away my alters connection to me, which at first was really scary because I'd always relied on them to come out and live my life for me when things got rough. I realised soon after starting the drug how little I knew my best friends and how much my disorder actually affected my relationships with them. It scared them and made them come to not trust me at times. Now, I'm scared of not taking it. It has allowed me to learn better coping mechanisms then hiding behind a facade or letting others deal with my problems Instead. It has actually helped me realise, I don't need the help of my alters to get through a day"

Terreden (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 19, 2015

Thorazine (chlorpromazine) for Nausea/Vomiting: "After having surgery for gastric reflux and a major hernia, I was unable to keep anything down, including water. My Dr. Tried me on Zofran, Scopalamime patch ,and Phenergan with barely any effect. He eventually brought me back in to get some IV fluids into me That was when he tried me on Thorazine. It works wonderfully on my vomiting. The only problem I have with it at all is that it makes me so drowsy, understatement- it knocks me out. But it was worth it to be able to get something down so I didn't get dehydrated again."

Launchelle February 14, 2015

For Psychosis: "I had a psychotic episode last year. Its gone now, but I was given this medication to help ease the symptoms. It would say it's good for calming you down and I slept well on it. It did help up until a point, then the voices and hallucinations came back. Got switched to Sulpiride and that seemed to be more helpful. On a high dose it dose make you twitch a lot and I struggled to pass urine (a listed side effect). Good for sleep and relaxation, but over all wasn't very effective."

Whatbloodyname (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 26, 2014

For Schizophrenia: "Chloropromazine stops the voices because it knocks you the hell out. I take this medication at night, one 50 mg is enough to knock me out at 5 foot 11 inches and 200 lbs, if you have decent general health a lower dose will be potent. I haven't needed anything more than the nightly dose, I am also on Lithium which is wonderful, the combination works great together for me. I have not had any serious negative side effects, I am working out more and losing weight, I was unable to do this on risperidol, Aeroquel, Abilify, or anything else I have been put on. The only thing stopping me from giving this a 10 star review is that most doctors prescribe Chlorpromazine for daily use. I would not be able to function on this during the day."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 13, 2014

Thorazine (chlorpromazine) for Schizophrenia: "This is the only medicine which has worked for my schizophrenia. It's a nightmare to take to begin with, need to gradually increase the dose, but has kept me reasonably well and coping for years. Only side effects for me are dry mouth and solar sensitivity, I don't like the sun anyway so no matter. But the dry mouth does limit the dose. It helps me sleep too."

Otto the android (taken for 10 years or more) July 5, 2014

Thorazine (chlorpromazine) for Psychosis: "My daughter is 15 and had increase confusion, zombie effect, was Not a good medication for her"

Sesquivel22 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 22, 2014

Thorazine (chlorpromazine) for Light Sedation: "My Dr. prescribed me Thorazine for insomnia because she doesn't like Ambien, Xanax, etc. Felt like a zombie in the morning, plus I developed a tolerance from 50 mg to 100 mg in 2 weeks. Felt dead inside. After 100 mg and another 2 weeks had trouble sleeping again and doctor told me to double the dose. I didn't do it."

jen3577 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 13, 2013

Thorazine (chlorpromazine) for Hiccups: "I had hiccups for 48 hours continuously and was hiccupping about 15000 times a day. I went to my GP and was prescribed Chlorpromazine. I was reluctant to try it at first because of the side effects but it did work after being on a 25mg dose three times a day after 72 hours. It does take a while to kick in and have an effect but it did work. Make sure you come off them slowly and gradually otherwise it makes you feel nauseous and sick. Your urine may also be a lot darker in colour and smell differently."

Nick (Wiltshire - UK) (taken for less than 1 month) July 21, 2013

Thorazine (chlorpromazine) for Hiccups: "I get severe hiccups. This works!"

tjssss July 14, 2013

Thorazine (chlorpromazine) for Hiccups: "I write this to help others. I actually had the hiccups for eight straight days...yes 8! I couldn't eat without hiccuping, and sleep with out hiccuping. I had no health insurance, which is why I waited so long before seeking professional medical advice/treatment. On that eighth day I went to a "Doc-in-a-Box", and the Doctor prescribed "Thorazine", only ten! Within 30 minutes of taking the first one, the hiccups were gone! I had nine more pills (low dosage) left. Each time I took one, it was like I was the "King of the world'! I had a constant smile on my face and wanted to hug everyone, but I could still MAINTAIN. "

VaBeachBeez January 19, 2013

For Opiate Withdrawal: "Helped right away. No bad withdrawals like before. Its a lifesaver and there is no narcotic in this."

helped!!!!!! (taken for less than 1 month) January 11, 2013

Thorazine (chlorpromazine) for Hiccups: "Dad was hiccuping badly for two days straight - nothing was working and attempting to get water or fluids down didn't work. Hiccups got worse and he began to vomit when we saw blood we took him to emergency room - they brought Thorazine and within 10-20 minutes he stopped hiccuping... he had one short flare up while moving around but after 20-30minutes it went away and he was sleeping. Hopefully this does the trick and keeps him from hiccuping - but for sure it's a good emergency medicine to stop painful and persistent hiccups."

Anonymous October 21, 2012

For Schizophrenia: "Though relieving, side effects are a bit much. It may just be the sudden change from my previous medication, but this medicine has added to my anxiety and occasional panic attacks to a point where my doctor has had to prescribe me another anti-depressant."

AudreyKuykendall (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 27, 2012

Thorazine (chlorpromazine) for : "There's a reason they call it the Thorazine shuffle."

Anonymous January 30, 2012

Thorazine (chlorpromazine) for Schizophrenia: "This medication helps with my symptoms and controls some of the voices and the sightings that I experienced throughout my use of this medication."

JasmineB September 26, 2011

Thorazine (chlorpromazine) for Mania: "I take it for bipolar disorder. It helps through the mania. It helps sleep and then mania the next day. "

Anonymous May 7, 2011

For Mania: "Helps some of the symptoms of mania and psychosis or hearing voices and such. Also helps with sleep which helps greatly when you are bipolar and in a manic and restless state. Overall I would have to say this medicine has helped the most of ALL the other medicines I have had to try so far."

zekejr March 1, 2011

Thorazine (chlorpromazine) for Psychosis: "Good"

sammy8987 February 26, 2011

Thorazine (chlorpromazine) for Hiccups: "My husband normally never has the hiccups but on the night of day 3 after having bowel resection surgery from diverticulitis, he was no longer passing gas. Instead he was belching, burping and hiccuping. He would hiccup for hours then stop for a bit and this just kept going on and on increasing the pain of the surgical site and getting no sleep. On the night of day 6,Thorazine was added to his IV and within 10 minutes the hiccups were gone and he was finally sleeping comfortably."

Anonymous June 13, 2010

Thorazine (chlorpromazine) for Light Sedation: "The intramuscular is far better than oral, I found. The only drawback is that you will have a very sore bottom afterwards. Thorazine IM does hurt, but it's well worth it in the long run if your stomach gets upset very easily. The onset is much quicker, yet the effect is more mellow than the same dose given orally. Again, Thorazine IM does hurt so keep that in mind if it ever suggested."

Anonymous July 13, 2009

Thorazine (chlorpromazine) for Light Sedation: "This will knock you out."

nick 88 August 11, 2008