User Reviews for Tussionex Pennkinetic

Learn more about Tussionex Pennkinetic.

Cough 65 reviews 739 medications

9.5
Cold Symptoms 11 reviews 837 medications

8.4
Summary of Tussionex Pennkinetic reviews 76 reviews 9.4

Reviews for Tussionex Pennkinetic

Review by A.L., B.A. 123:

For Cough: This is a wonderful medicine that will turn off the most vicious coughs. Having said that, my doctor and I found that 5ml every 8hrs (instead of the usual max of 10ml/day) is most effective IN MY CASE; I'm about 2 meters tall and about 105 kilo. I have asthma which is easily exacerbated; when I get any sort of cough it can (and, in the past has) turn(ed) into pneumonia. In my doctor's estimation, Tussionex has saved me about 5 trips to the hospital, over the last 10 years. In summary: This medicine, (expensive as it may be) has, in my opinion, plausibly saved my life. It shuts the cough off and allows my lungs to heal.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 24, 2011 4:15 PM

Review by candy store:

I had a very bad cough. The doctor gave me Tussionex Pennkinetic, one teaspoon before bed, next day I was cured. Very good syrup.

December 25, 2010 2:17 PM

Review by Hospice practioner:

For Cold Symptoms: My physician ordered this medicine after a severe flu and cold that lasted over a month. I found immediate relief, even helped the laryngitis. I see great potential for my patients in hospice. I am amazed at how effective it worked and with minimal negative side effects. I am amazed I have never heard of it before. As a clinician I see great potential for my patients.

December 20, 2010 9:16 PM

Review by BvAnna:

For Cough: I coughed horribly for a year and a half. Had all tests run, even had the Nissen fundoplication procedure done. My cough did not go away. In the hospital I was given this for pain. I immediately stopped coughing. Could finally sleep. I found an ENT who thinks my cough is neurogenic. Nerve damage caused by a virus. This is the nerve that triggers cough. He gave me gabapentin and it helped a little in the beginning now, it does nothing. I had 2 refills left on the Tussionex Pennkinetic and I'm now down to my last refill. I take 1 teaspoon every day around 4:00. I take it so early because this medicine keeps me up and won't let me sleep. The opposite of what most of you are experiencing.

September 19, 2010 2:49 AM

Review by js616:

For Cough: This is the best cough syrup hands down in the country. It works very, very well and no bad taste. Very pricey, but worth it. Some doctors will not write for it. I think that is poor professionalism for those who refuse. Yes some will seek and/or abuse but the benefit of the doubt should be given for something that works this well. Highly recommended.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 17, 2010 8:05 PM

Review by chisquare:

For Cough: I have chronic bronchitis and when I get a cold and let it go too long, the chronic bronchitis shows itself and if I don't recognize the onset soon enough, pneumonia --single or double- is the result. My doctor prescribed Tussionex five years ago and it has become my "go to" medicine--if used early, it allows me to sleep, cough less throughout the night. While it does not cure the bronchitis, it allows the body to do its work by allowing you to rest without coughing. I have one bit of advice - do not abuse this medication - regardless of what the prescription says--one teaspoon (2 ML) a day preferably before bedtime is the only way you should take it. I use it very sparingly because of it's expense and because it always works for me.

January 7, 2010 1:51 PM

For Cough: This is the best stuff EVER! Haven't slept in over a week trying Phenergan DM prescribed by my doctor. Had them call in something else and finally...I can sleep! No coughing all night.

January 6, 2010 11:35 PM

Review by chiefgoddess:

For Cough: For some period of time I had a bad cough and diagnosed with chronic bronchitis and prescribed Tussionex - unfortunately there was a very large tumor discovered in my right lung. I did undergo a painful surgery only to find out the condition was inoperable - I went through chemo and radiation to no avail. I, however, continued to take Tussionex to cut down on coughing which was painful. Now one cannot get the liquid which worked for me - I only had to take it once a day, usually in the morning. I recommend it highly.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 1, 2010 6:30 PM

For Cough: Just started taking this medicine. Had the flu and at then end of the 5 day flu, started a head cold. Couldn't sleep for a few nights due to cough. Only woke up 3 times tonight (once to pee and twice due to coughing). Just took my second dose and will go back to sleep. Was prescribed codeine, with no help at all. Was told this is called liquid gold- they weren't kidding. Very grateful my pharmacist mentioned this to me then I told my Doctor.

December 31, 2009 6:44 AM

Review by redrn:

For Cough: First of all , if you go to a doctor and request this medicine, he/she will see this as drug seeking behavior. It is an opiate . The only difference between Tussionex and Vicodin is the antihistamine in the Tussionex. It is highly addictive. I should know ...I have been to drug treatment two times for my addiction to Tussionex. I didn't take it as prescribed though - worked my way up to 3oz. Each day - sometimes twice a day. Be very careful.

December 22, 2009 12:15 PM

For Cough: I was prescribed this medicine in the ER when I was diagnosed with Bronchitis. The very first thing the doctor said with this medication is do not drive. I totally agree, the medicine is wonderful it pretty much got rid of the cough, and helped clear up my head congestion. I would have to say that the worst side effect is that it makes you feel very drowsy and sleepy, like you are under the influence of alcohol.

December 10, 2009 6:47 AM

For Cough: It's a miracle syrup for my COPD.

December 4, 2009 11:03 AM

For Cold Symptoms: CAREFUL! Warning that you can become drowsy the next day after using this product. Falling asleep at work, or while driving because the narcotic is too much. If you're able to be passive with just a glass of wine, think seriously before taking the full teaspoon. Talk to your doctor if you feel unusually tired because of the Tussionex.

December 2, 2009 12:54 PM

Review by jjlipp:

For Cough: I first used Tussionex in 1981. At that time it was called Tussionex Susp. and contained only 5mg hydrocodone per dose. They also had a tablet version available back then, which equaled one teaspoon of the suspension. The reason that it is so effective over other cough remedies, even other syrups which contain hydrocodone, is due to the type of hydrocodone used.

November 24, 2009 2:55 AM

For Cough: The best cough medicine ever! Nothing helps my cough but Tussionex. It lasts the entire 12 hours. Unbelievablly good cough medicine!!

November 17, 2009 4:11 PM

For Cough: It works.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 12, 2009 5:36 AM

Review by O'Neail:

For Cough: I've read everyone's posts and am so jealous! I've been coughing for 5 days now, and haven't had a decent night's sleep for the last 6 nights! Dr. prescribed this medicine 3 days ago, took it, and nothing. Seriously, nothing! Felt a little relief 10 hours later, but nothing like what everyone else here has experienced. I'm still coughing and miserable and am going to give it another try tonight.

November 11, 2009 2:42 PM

Review by schoog:

For Cough: This is the best cough medicine out there. Whenever I get chest colds that keep me up at night coughing, I request this. I have been doing this for 10 yrs. Seriously if you want to stop your cough - request this one. nothing works like this one. The side effects do not out weigh the results!

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 11, 2009 10:54 AM

Review by barbbence:

For Cough: I have been to several internists, three pulmonary docs and still have a chronic cough. Other than perhaps an asthmatic condition so far no specific diagnosis. Nobody could stop the cough. I tried virtually everything until I came to my latest internist who said he could stop the cough and he did. He prescribed Tussionex Pennkinetic. Unlike most of the other comments I don't feel loopy, I feel normal as can be except I can't sleep. So with a bit of an Ambian I sleep, I don't cough much any more and feel great. I take two teaspoons daily each and every day or I am in trouble. I have done this now for about three years and the end results have kept me off Prednisone and able to live a normal healthy active life. Hurray for this medicine!

November 2, 2009 1:03 PM

Review by yuma, az:

For Cold Symptoms: I was prescribed this medicine after going to urgent care for what I thought was a basic head cold. I was told I had the flu. I did not think my symptoms were consistent with what I considered the flu, but I had not been sick in a long time and cannot remember when I last had the flu. The medicine definitely dried me up per se, but I started getting real jittery and anxious, and when trying to go to sleep could not due to the itching. I know I am sensitive to medications and have never had this medicine before. If you are like me and sensitive to medicines, be prepared for side effects.

October 29, 2009 3:16 AM

For Cough: I went to the doctor a week ago and I was told that I had upper respiratory infection (3rd one this year) so she gave me the usual antibiotic, phenergan with codeine cough medicine, and a antihistamine/decongestion medicine. After a week of taking this still not feeling better. So I went back and she gave me a different antibiotic and the Tussionex cough medicine. The cough medicine has allowed me to sleep most of the night but when I take it I am completely knocked out and loopy. Still cough periodically but nothing like I was without it. Even with insurance this medicine was $50 for 4 ounces but it's worth it! I've taken it before and really helps. Just waiting for the other medicines to do their jobs!

October 23, 2009 4:04 AM

Review by Jur45:

For Cough: This medicine worked very well for me. I had a bad cough that was keeping me up night after night. This allowed me to sleep and totally stopped the cough. I couldn't take it during the day without being groggy however, so I would caution against this although the recommended dose said every 12 hours.

October 11, 2009 9:12 PM

Review by JKitt:

For Cough: I have had a persistent cough now for two weeks that wakes me up 8 times at night. This is the second time that I have had this cough medicine prescribed to me. It is by far the best Cough medicine that I have ever taken.

October 8, 2009 4:06 PM

Review by mglazed2000:

For Cough: This reduced my flu and pneumonia symptoms tremendously. I was having severe head and body aches along with a horrible cough, and it relieved the pain so I could rest.

October 3, 2009 9:41 PM

For Cold Symptoms: Was given this medicine for upper respiratory tract infection. It helps the cough but makes you feel really out of it. With this prescription I have had headaches. I'm on the 12 hour/1 tsp dosage. I would recommend that this drug before you go to bed.

October 2, 2009 8:39 AM