User Reviews for Tussionex Pennkinetic

Learn more about Tussionex Pennkinetic.

Cough 65 reviews 741 medications

9.5
Cold Symptoms 11 reviews 841 medications

8.4
Summary of Tussionex Pennkinetic reviews 76 reviews 9.4

Reviews for Tussionex Pennkinetic

Review by Anonymousthirteen (taken for less than 1 month):

For Cough: I have had a terrible cold with cough & breathing issues especially at night. This prescription was great for the cough & ability to get some rest.

February 14, 2014 5:15 PM

Review by Michele D.:

For Cough: This cough syrup really works great on quieting my wicked cough (bronchitis).....however, I am one of the few who has a terrible time sleeping when I take it. It also makes me woozy - the equivalent of drinking two glasses of wine. That said, I try to take it at least 6-8 hours before bedtime. The good effects (cough suppressant) is still working, and I get a good night's sleep. I can not drive while taking it. Stay safe!

January 30, 2014 9:09 PM

Review by nomorecough (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Cough: Great for colds.

January 1, 2014 10:01 PM

Review by jlapec67:

For Cough: This medication will take a cough away but I didn't like the side effects. I normally react great to pain meds but not on this. Couldn't sleep the first night. Woke up with severe headache. Had to take another dose for this cough and still bad headache. Can see this will turn to a migraine. Was so hopeful of this medication.

August 26, 2013 8:39 PM

Review by SuziQ - cough from bronchitis:

For Cough: I am a 38 year old female who has lupus, asthma, and chronic bronchitis. After 2 months of violent coughing fits at night I was prescribed Tussionex Pennkinetic. The coughing ceased immediately, as did the pain, and I could finally breathe! It did cause itching, strong drowsiness (a plus because I was sleep deprived) and dry mouth, but it was absolutely worth it.

June 23, 2013 7:10 AM

Review by tridel:

For Cough: It was like a miracle. Instantly stopped coughing and slept all night without waking up coughing. Taste is like frosting.

March 5, 2013 10:39 PM

Review by beekay (taken for less than 1 month):

For Cold Symptoms: This is the best cough and cold syrup ever made. Unfortunately I am a smoker so I tend to get coughs and colds easier than non smokers. This really works for me and it makes me feel better.

February 5, 2013 2:56 PM

Review by anonymous 805 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Cough: This is the nastiest looking and tasting medicine I have ever taken. With that said, the medicine works the best for a cough. I kept myself and my husband awake at night coughing. I took this medicine (only at night) and it worked like a charm. This is the best medicine for a cough (I don't waste my money on Robitussin or Mucinex) and is my go-to medicine whenever I get a pesky cough.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 3, 2013 9:28 AM

Review by mamma griz (taken for less than 1 month):

For Cough: Helps with cough however experiencing severe headache with use of this medication. Almost bad enough to go to the emergency room.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 29, 2012 7:07 AM

Review by mom0f2 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Cough: My Dr. prescribes this for me every fall/winter. I get a cold, it turns into bronchitis and then I can't sleep or function normally due to the horrible coughing. I take it about an hour before I go to bed and I sleep like a baby, no coughing and wake up refreshed and ready to go. Side effect is I feel a little groggy until around 11 am but that's not a big deal for me when you aren't coughing and able to sleep.

November 13, 2012 11:28 AM

Review by Grumpygirl (taken for less than 1 month):

For Cough: I was having coughing episodes about 3 hours long. I coughed until I vomited, and even until I lost control of my other bodily functions (both of them). I basically did not sleep more than 3 hours a night (if that) for a week and a half. Since I can expect this cough for another 4 weeks to 4 months, I broke down and gave this a try. It is a testament to the sheer physical force of the pertussis cough that Tussionex only stops it by about 80%. But that 80% makes all the difference! I am sleeping adequately and can keep food down. The unpleasantness that goes along with taking opiates is far, far preferable to this vicious pertussis cough.

July 7, 2012 2:22 AM

Review by KaraV (taken for less than 1 month):

For Cough: Tussinex works great, yes it will make you drowsy, so don't drive. You will sleep easy though.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 16, 2012 1:35 PM

Review by gratful:

For Cough: Worked right away when nothing else would. Its a miracle cure for incurable cough!

April 1, 2012 2:37 PM

For Cough: I get bronchitis several times a year, and this helps ease chest pain and allows me to sleep. It works better than any other cough suppresant I've tried. .

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 13, 2012 12:03 AM

For Cough: It is by far the best cough suppressant for which I've been given a prescription.

January 30, 2012 1:40 PM

Review by Cool Senior:

For Cough: I have taken Tussionex for a few years. Before that I was on inhalers, etc. for my allergies and cough. New doctor finally prescribed Tussionex for me. I realize it can be addictive if not used right to the letter. My doctor was reluctant to keep refilling my prescription until I would come in and show him how serious my sinus drainage and cough was. I am so thankful for this medicine. I am 70 yrs old, still working and taking care of a 10 yr old grandson. Without this medicine, I can be just sitting and the clear liquid would drain from my nose. It does not make me drowsy or sleepy at all. Love this medicine and make sure I never abuse my dosage.

January 13, 2012 5:37 PM

For Cough: I had bad cold and a continued cough that kept me awake. After I developed a fever, I was prescribed Tussionex and antibiotics. The Tussionex worked amazingly well. I was finally able to sleep without waking up coughing all the time. It does taste good too. I have just been taking it at bedtime and am trying not to take it too much. But if I have any more cough problems, I will ask for this first!

September 18, 2011 12:08 AM

For Cough: This medicine has a built in phlegm breaker and works very well to keep mucus from settling in the chest. Side effects for me is usually sleepiness which is welcome when you are sick.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 8, 2011 12:29 PM

Review by Misery Free:

For Cold Symptoms: Awesome medication for severe allergies. I have been taking this medicine now for 2 years. My environmental allergies were just getting worse and worse. I have been to many allergist who kept giving me nose sprays and shots once a week. After one year of continual shots and not getting better my doctor prescribed Tussionex. Just imagine feeling like you have a bad cold all year around, coughing, sneezing and feeling miserable. Tussionex made me feel normal. I had forgotten what it was like not to cough, have a runny nose and feeling like I had the flu. With the Tussionex I felt so good since it stopped the cough, the runny nose and all the aches and pains in my neck and sinuses. THANK YOU for Tussionex!

August 25, 2011 12:56 PM

Review by Bubba2:

I have taken this medicine for three years. I have chronic bronchitis, COPD, and asthma. I was coughing all the time, especially at night and couldn't sleep. I tried sleeping pills and a variety of cough medicines, none of which worked. When given this, my cough immediately went away and stayed away for up to twelve hours, often longer.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 20, 2011 10:01 PM

Review by Willow11:

For Cough: I had a cold for a week, was unable to sleep because of coughing. I went to my Doctor and he prescribed this for me. I stopped coughing within an half and hour.

August 10, 2011 11:47 PM

For Cough: I get severe bronchitis at least once a year with vomiting and sleepless nights. I've tried Robitussin with Codeine, but it didn't help at all. Two years ago, my doctor finally prescribed Tussionex, and it works so well. I have bronchitis now, and came back from a miserable trip without this medicine. I've taken it tonight, and already feel so much better. I would highly recommend this to anyone who needs a cough medicine at night to help them sleep.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 29, 2011 1:03 AM

Review by WTmomof4:

For Cough: I was prescribed Tussionex for a cough associated with viral pneumonia. It was excellent for suppressing my cough. However, I felt as if I'd had a couple of Margaritas, so I was only able to take it before bedtime instead of every 12 hours or I couldn't have functioned at work. On the positive side, it did eliminate the constant cough and allow me a good night's sleep. As another reviewer noted, I also found it extremely constipating. I advise increasing your liquid intake and possibly taking an over the counter stool softener while using Tussionex.

March 24, 2011 4:59 PM

For Cough: Tussinex is awesome for that cough you get at night, where you get a tickle in your throat and just have to cough and can't stop. For me, it makes me feel loopy though, even 12 hours later I will be lightheaded, so I usually don't use it unless Cepacol or something doesn't work. It's rare I use it more than once a year, and even then I only use half the dose. It really works but it's powerful.

February 10, 2011 3:53 PM

For Cough: Whenever I get a cold I get a wicked cough that actually makes me throw up it is so bad. I took every cough syrup known to man and nothing worked until my dad who is a doctor tried Tussionex. It was incredible I was better in 48 hours! I only get a cold like this every few years but this medicine is the only one that works and doctors are afraid of it because it is a narcotic but if nothing else works why make people suffer?

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate