User Reviews for Chlorhexidine

Also known as: Bactoshield, Betasept, Biopatch, Calgon Vesta, ChloraPrep One-Step, Chlorostat, Chlorostat 4, Denti-Rinse, Dyna-Hex, Exidine, Hibiclens, Hibistat, Hibistat Towelette, Peridex, PerioChip, ...show all 19 brand names

Learn more about Chlorhexidine.

Mucositis 2 reviews 33 medications

Periodontitis 2 reviews 29 medications

Gingivitis 7 reviews 106 medications

8.6
Skin Disinfection, Preoperative 4 reviews 7 medications

Summary of Chlorhexidine reviews 15 reviews 8.2

Reviews for Chlorhexidine

Bactoshield (chlorhexidine) for Skin Disinfection, Preoperative: "I also had constant reoccurring rashes and itching related to my obesity. I tried a lot of different ointments, creams and prescription antibiotic powders like NyStop. The problems seemed to never go away. I had knee replacement scheduled and knew I'd be in the hospital for several days and wondered how I'd deal with the itching, while in the hospital. As part of the hospitals MRSA control program, I was required to shower the morning before the surgery with BactoShield 2% Shampoo. I didn't have any problems for 4 days while in the hospital. After returning home, a couple of days later, the rashes and itching reappeared. I used my other prior remedies to no avail. Then I got thinking of how I went so long I the hospital without problems. I still had about an ounce of BactoShield left and when showering, begin to use it applying it only to problem areas, especially under my apron And in the groin area, but only after the rash redeveloped. The time between episodes went from being daily or every other day, to a week. I soon used up the ounce of 2% that I had left and found another small bottle available,e for sale on Amazon. I reordered and seemed to be able to keep the reocurrences about a week apart. After using up the small amount of BactoShield 2% up, I found an 8 oz bottle of 4%. After using it weekly for about 2-3 weeks, I found that my problem seemed to go away. I still apply it to the affected areas about every two weeks or so as a preventative or after particularly high sweat days where I can't shower till late In the evening. It's worked wonders for me and a little lasts a long way now. I'm attributing my initial rash problem to a bacterial concentration that could t be "killed" off by the other remedies and prescriptions. The BactoShield appears to have been able to kill of the bacteria that just seemed to reculture itself when using the other remedies."

Kbrack2 June 7, 2015

For Skin Disinfection, Preoperative: "After a blood transfusion I developed an allergy to this medicine. Moments after it is used as a topical disinfectant I experience a severe burning sensation much like frozen dripping acid on my skin. SEVERE pain."

Fungrammy November 14, 2014

For Mucositis: "Every time I bite my cheeks -- which happens fairly often as I am a clumsy chewer -- the injury turns into a painful ulcer lasting a week. I would typically spend about half of my month with them. Aggressive rinsing with other forms of mouthwash could sometimes help a bit. Chlorhexidine gluconate is extremely effective at preventing and healing these ulcers. I can simply use one dose after an injury and never have a problem. If I ignore one long enough to form a small ulcer, two doses a day apart will immediately reverse its course toward healing. Now I never have to live with that mouth pain. I have experienced no side effects."

Aaron Ritter (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 8, 2014

For Gingivitis: "I had gingivitis it did cure it. I noticed every time I rinsed my mouth with Chlorhexidine my eyes would turn red. It also raised my blood pressure from 140/90 right arm and 130/85 left arm, to 190/96 on the right arm and 173/110 on the left arm. This happened not to long after I rinsed with it. It took 2 days for my pressure to go back to normal. Caution for people with hypertension."

Diana 5000 August 7, 2014

For Gingivitis: "I have had bad breath for 3 years now. I've tried mouth washes and brushing 4 or more times a day. I've been using this product for 2 days and my breath is smelling better."

cureing my bad breath... (taken for less than 1 month) June 7, 2014

For Periodontitis: "I tried the oral rinse chlorhexidine because I was going in for a first appointment with my (now) periodontist. I wanted to look healthy, and not have as many problems with aging, since I'm getting up to retirement age. The rinse made me feel like I was doing something good for myself. I didn't see any results at first but after several treatments my gums and tongue turned pinker and a cracked tooth that was causing pain fell out on its own."

Stac1 June 1, 2014

For Skin Disinfection, Preoperative: "As part of my pre-op, I was instructed to use from neck to toes, avoiding mucous membranes & genital area. Three hours later my nose began to really itch. Have seasonal allergies so didn't think too much about it. Through pre- op the itching got worse. When I came out of surgery itching was much worse & upper lip swollen. By the time I got home, itching, swelling worse and everywhere I had used the chlorhexidine wash was red and felt like I had a bad sunburn. Took Benadryl which reduced symptoms. Had to take it for 3 days to stop symptoms from coming back. "

Mrszilch2 (taken for less than 1 month) February 2, 2014

For Gingivitis: "I've had bad breath for over 20 years. I had regular dental exams and cleaning, twice a year. My dentist would tell me my teeth was in good condition but I would complaint about having breath. I would get so embarrass whenever I had to talk to my co-worker, friends and family member. I could tell by the expressions on their faces that my breath was bad. Sometimes people would put their fingers over their noses when I talked to them. I even stopped going to my faith/religion service because I could tell whenever I talked to the members of my faith they would talk to me from a distance. One women after I said hello she turned around and held her nose. My new dentist saved me! Gave me this ...after 3 days no bad breath!"

BadBreath Lady October 16, 2013

Periogard (chlorhexidine) for Mucositis: "I was getting sores in my mouth (bad ones). The Periogard worked quick and I use it twice a day. If I forget, my tongue gets sore and I RINSE immediately! It is the most fabulous thing I have found."

Anonymous September 13, 2013

For Periodontitis: "Im staring to notice that the extraction areas of my mouth are less inflamed and finally shrinking. Anyone who knows me extremely well knows I had extremely impacted and crooked teeth. Because of this there was no skin or bone between each individual tooth, making it a rough spot to heal. I finally got back in touch with the dentist last week and he put me on a prescription mouth rince that contains Chlorhexidine in it (Nasty stuff) but it seems to be doing the trick. Wile there is still bone exposed the bone is no longer grey and much of it has been covered over by scar tissue. I count my blessing that they did my uppers in 2 settings letting the first batch heal before extracting the second batch or I would have been layed open so much worse. There is some slight bone loss but the Dentist says its nothing they cant work with and nothing that will need any bone graphting (Thank the Lord)"

Robert Frayer (taken for less than 1 month) August 12, 2013

Peridex (chlorhexidine) for Gingivitis: "For years I suffered with gum bleed and bad breath... But after using Peridex all the problems have gone away and it helped me with self esteem because I don't have stinky breath anymore."

Highlyl March 16, 2013

For Skin Disinfection, Preoperative: "By the evening of the neck lymph node biopsy, my neck was red and itchy. By the next morning I had huge welts/hives across the area that had been swabbed. I went back to the hospital to be checked and the nurses confirmed it was a reaction to the chloroprep (after checking in file for medicines used). I now have it listed as an allergy."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 14, 2012

Periogard (chlorhexidine) for Gingivitis: "I have had Gingivitis and very deep pockets for quite some time now. My gums would bleed when I flossed, brushed and used my water pick. Nothing I did worked. I had gum surgery also and the bleeding continued. On a visit to my Dentist I was given Periogard to try and within 10 days of using this product the bleeding completely stopped. I was amazed to see how this product worked to kill the germs that cause my Gingivitis. I do have some tooth staining but I can live with that. My teeth feel much better and the taste of blood from bleeding is gone. Saying I'm very happy with Periogard would be an understatement. For me Periogard is my pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. I just wish my dentist recommended this to me sooner."

tjcarita (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 29, 2012

Peridex (chlorhexidine) for Gingivitis: "I have been in so much pain and discomfort. I have a problem of serious dry mouth and perhaps Sjogren's. My tongue was always sore and burning and my gums hurt. My dentist gave me this to try and it has been the greatest thing. It didn't give me an unpleasant taste or anything. Just less pain and fresh mouth."

Anonymous March 28, 2012

For Gingivitis: "I think it is a good oral mouth wash. I like how it makes my mouth feels after a rinse. It is good for bad breath and other problems that you may have with your teeth. It is a little pricey, but all in all I think it is well worth it."

Anonymous October 11, 2011