User Reviews for Librium

Learn more about Librium.

Alcohol Withdrawal 37 reviews 19 medications

7.2
Summary of Librium reviews 50 reviews 9.1

Reviews for Librium

Review by goodstart:

For Alcohol Withdrawal: After years of hard drinking I woke up yesterday in the throws of death. Hands shaking so hard I couldn't type. Sweating. Spasms. Vomiting. Trouble breathing. I couldn't even walk my legs were like jello. Having had hallucinations and seizure in the past from withdrawals I had two options. Go get beer (not an option, I was having panic attacks), or go to the ER. I opted for the ER. They gave me Libruim and hour later and every symptom stopped in about 30 minutes. The doc gave me a prescription for a week, and sent me off my way. I figured I'd start the next day, however I found sleep that night impossible. I decided to take 2 Librium at 4am and slept for 7 hours. I'm not even sure how I can type right now.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 13, 2014 12:16 PM

For Anxiety: My doctor will not prescribe Xanax, Klonopin, or Ativan for anxiety, but he was comfortable giving me a script for Librium (chlordiazepoxide) 25mg capsules 4x a day for my anxiety. Worked well at the beginning, but like all benzo's, the efficacy wore off after about a month of use. Was great while it worked and it was very inexpensive! Tapered off then went back on it a few months later and it worked like a charm again! On and off usage for close to 5 years now.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 22, 2014 8:43 PM

Review by Bottomline Drunk (taken for less than 1 month):

For Alcohol Withdrawal: Went to the hospital due to the horrible effects of alcohol withdrawal. Misery was the state I was in. Shaking hands and cold sweats were just part of the problem. I was given Librium. Anyway, I felt as if the gates of Hell was lifted off of me. I almost instantly felt better. I was given 2 capsules (50 mg) every 6 hours on Day One and on the fourth and last day, 25mg every 8 hours. This medication was a life saver for me. It took all the miserable effects of alcohol withdrawal away as far as I'm concerned. I highly recommend this medicine for alcohol detox. The alternative is hours upon hours of Hell. You don't have to go through that. Take my word for it.

February 16, 2014 7:23 PM

Review by Armagh, NI:

For Alcohol Withdrawal: Had been drinking in excess of of 15-20 cans of beer a day, for as long as can remember, no appetite, losing weight and throwing up every morning. Went through DT's last year - horrendous - sweats, shakes, hallucinations, had Librium, but too little too late and fell off the wagon very quickly. Finally had enough and went to see my doctor with the support of my wife, have been on a reducing dose of Libruim for a week now and never felt better, eating well, sleeping well, not throwing up every day and feeling more positive than I have for a long time. Drinking flavoured water and feeling good, I am going to concentrate on getting fit. Thanks to family, friends and GP for help and support.

February 12, 2014 1:30 PM

Review by Beer can bob:

For Alcohol Withdrawal: Heavy drinker for 15 years decided to just stop on my own. Big mistake. All was well until day 3 on Xmas eve. I was rushed to hospital. Sky rocketed blood pressure rapid heart beat shaking at. 1:00 in the morning. Was given Librium and within the hour was feeling better along with an IV. They let me go home in the morning and gave me a prescription of 25 mg. Four 25 mg pills on day one, three on day 2, two on day 3 and one on day 4. Made me a little tired but not a withdrawal symptom to speak of. In AA now and doing well on week 3. Medication was excellent. Go to a Dr if your looking to stop drinking do not try it cold Turkey. There is really no need to.

January 6, 2014 5:55 PM

Review by Mfntobes1:

For Alcohol Withdrawal: This medicine is a miracle. I was a heavy drinker for most of my teen years (liter a day or more of whatever I could get my hands on). Went through one of the best inpatient treatments where they gave me Librium. Within minutes I was feeling like I was floating and loved it. Anything that took away the dreaded withdrawals was better than that feeling. It totally took away my depth perception but allowed me to finally eat, for the first time since my withdrawals kicked in. I was clean and sober for about 10 months then relapsed. The pain and withdrawals were just as bad as they were before. I went and got prescribed this medicine and detoxed at home. I was up walking around and functioning normal mins after taking it.

January 5, 2014 9:44 AM

Review by DubbleM (taken for less than 1 month):

For Alcohol Withdrawal: It's quite remarkable. It has eased both cravings and withdrawal.

December 31, 2013 9:42 PM

Review by DubbleM (taken for less than 1 month):

For Alcohol Withdrawal: Was given Librium while in detox for a week and it was quite astonishing, very effective. But I think I may have been getting too much and could not walk much of the time. Rehabilitation eventually failed with a relapse to beer drinking in excess. Will try some Librium in moderation soon for a try at home.

December 15, 2013 4:37 PM

Review by Deathsdoor:

For Alcohol Withdrawal: My heart goes out to anybody who has or is going through the real horrendous side of drink, the sweats shakes delirium, there is help (chlordiazepoxide) it WILL help you if you really want to quit. Ps: the max (librium) dose is 25mg per day (5x5)mg

November 8, 2013 11:07 PM

Review by DaveyButtons (taken for less than 1 month):

For Alcohol Withdrawal: Its essential! As a doctor I know, You cannot withdraw from alcohol safely without it. It can and should be prescribed for use in domestic detox (UK regulations). A colleague prescribed this for me when I my symptoms worsened an I went home and spent four days thinking about my life. This medicine will save lives during detox, but you have to make it on your own from there. Plan your detox! Buy the right fresh food and vegetables. Take Vitamin B supplements to protect the brain. Tell the people you love about your problem, get them involved, stay away from other alcohol users and alcohol. One day at a time! I wrote in my bed room ceiling as many reasons to not drink as I could think of and that is still the first thing I see when I wake up.

October 5, 2013 11:34 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Anxiety: ALOT of stress in my life, and didn't sleep at night. Always turned to alcohol to solve these problems. My doctor put me on Librium and I have been on it for just over a year now, and alcohol-free. I still worry about things, but they are easy to just let go, and I sleep every night, without waking up every hour stressing over something. One thing I will say, though, is that though it has taken the anxiety out of my life, it's like it has also taken away the joy, like ALL the color is gone, not just the darkness. I feel "comfortably numb" most of the time. Still, better than the way it used to be! I was prescribed 25mg 3 times per day, but I take 1 pill when I get up, split the 2nd into two 1/2 doses, then 1 pill an hr before bed.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 29, 2013 1:57 AM

Review by Silly Suziwong!!!! (taken for less than 1 month):

For Alcohol Withdrawal: I've been a heavy drinker for all my adult life, and a mother of 3. Ended up extremely depressed as just could not stop. Ended up in hospital as took overdose as just couldn't cope with the addiction anymore. 20 years of it. Glad I did it though as now am getting the help I so need. Started on Librium 4 days ago, and have a nurse visit me at home daily. It is working wonders for me. Still dry heave and slightly shake and sweat, the second night was awful as had awful dreams and was seeing stuff, but WOW now what a huge difference. Recommend it highly, its helping me and my family so so much. Just hope myself and all of the above keep up the good work! Good luck to you all.

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 6, 2013 5:02 PM

Review by Nollzu:

For Alcohol Withdrawal: Just had 1st 20mg...it's working!

April 19, 2013 4:40 AM

Review by MrNeil:

For Alcohol Withdrawal: Been heavy drinker for nearly 30 years. On my 7th day of home detox using Librium. It works, is all I can say. Also take acamprosate 3 times daily to hep with cravings, they both work wonders. My skin is looking healthy, I feel healthier and am looking forward for the first time in years. I'm only 44, want to start enjoying life, seeing my kids/grandchildren grow up. Don't give up on yourself is my only message.

99 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 24, 2013 8:02 PM

Review by tattoo junior:

For Alcohol Withdrawal: 27 years old been drinking for 15 years. 3 cases of beer and 6 to 9 pints of hard liquor a day. Tried to quit on my own for months, kept relapsing from pain. Lost my family, now on Librium for two days and better than ever and will not go through this again. Feeling like death is not worth your children and a good woman.

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 5, 2013 7:19 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Alcohol Withdrawal: My boyfriend is taking this for alcohol withdrawal. It works wonders for the withdrawal symptoms, but makes him a zombie. He is confused, unsteady on his feet and dizzy. He's been alcohol free for 3 days now and after tomorrow, I am going to take the pills away. Just my opinion.

October 26, 2012 4:23 PM

For Alcohol Withdrawal: A miracle for alcohol withdrawal. I was taken to the ER for hallucinating and was about to have a seizure after going cold turkey for 72 hours, BIG mistake. Librium completely fix it in a few mins. If you are a heavy drinker get this please. You only need to take it for a week and quitting is easy. It did make me drowsy but ALL the withdrawal symptoms were gone.

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 21, 2012 2:56 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Anxiety: Only medicine that no side effects. Take as when required basis and have no issues.

September 4, 2012 2:13 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Alcohol Withdrawal: I detoxed once inpatient and was given Librium in unknown amounts. I relapsed a few months later, back to drinking a bottle of vodka every two days. I went to substance abuse doctor who said I could safely do it at home. Took 50mg right away, 50mg that night. 75mg day 2, 50mg day 3 and 25mg day 4. Those were taken at once either in morning or at night. I did morning because throwing up and shakes were my worst part of the withdrawal. Working like a charm. Highly recommend to anyone. I tried cold turkey and that's how I ended up inpatient the first time because I was dangerously sick by day 3. Librium is a God send for withdrawal.

July 7, 2012 9:33 AM

For Alcohol Withdrawal: I've been a heavy daily drinker for a few years now and got prescribed stomach pills that had Librium as one of the ingredients. After a few days of taking it I had a really busy day and didn't realize until the next day that I hadn't had a drink. No cravings, No cold sweats, and even slept well. Impressed.

April 27, 2012 11:14 AM

Review by marieposa butterfly:

For Alcohol Withdrawal: Observer: My boyfriend has drank for over 25 years...morning to night brandy whisky....enlarged liver, bloated belly, sickness, malnutrition, bleeding from ulcerated stomach, bowel cancer..but is recovered . He IS on Librium now 120 mg a day. 3rd day in snoozing peacefully. No sickness this time, not a noticeable shake, eating fine and a tonic water. I snooze peacefully now because WE want to live.

March 19, 2012 4:01 PM

For Alcohol Withdrawal: For me, this relieves withdrawal symptoms within an hour. It's like magic relief from awful withdrawal anxiety, heart thumping, and nervous system twinges that I get in withdrawal. I have been prescribed it when I am honest with the doctor and they know I am pursuing staying sober, going to counseling etc. It is a miracle for withdrawal symptoms for me.

February 26, 2012 5:03 PM

For Alcohol Withdrawal: Was so happy to take it. Felt better right away was given 3 x 25 mg pills to take 1 twice a day. Helped with my alcohol withdrawal, took a second one in the morning just in case I went through withdraw again. Didn't feel like I needed it the next day, but took one anyway. Amazing how it worked for me. Felt like a normal person again.

February 13, 2012 8:34 PM

For Alcohol Withdrawal: First time I went to an inpatient rehab, thought I was going to die I was so sick, shaking uncontrollably, near hallucinating, and they gave me two tablets of which mg I don't know, and it worked wonders! I took what I imagine to be 25mg every 4-6 hours after that and within 3 days felt great, stayed there 5 days and at day 4 I was ready to get out of there. Unfortunately, I relapsed and binged for a month. This time I did it outpatient and the Dr. gave me 25mg tabs which I took 1 every 4-6 hours the first day and it immediately made me feel 10 times better. Overall the course of 5 days I slowly tapered off and it's what I recommend to anyone wiithdrawing from the sauce.

February 9, 2012 10:30 PM

Review by Savannah Lynn:

For Anxiety: I take it 4 times a day. It keeps me ok If I have no other stress at the time. I have severe panic attacks, mid level agoraphobia and anxiety. During what is mild stress for some disables me, at those times nothing works. But for regular anxiety I like it because I have no side effect.

February 2, 2012 2:15 PM