User Reviews for Librium

Learn more about Librium.

Librium review summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

Compare all 100 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Librium to treat Anxiety

Review by ithelps (taken for 10 years or more):

I had taken Librium for around 20 years off and on for Anxiety and panic attacks. I only take a small dose but it has always been very effective. Anytime I didn't need it, it was easy to get off of it. I take if as needed. I would recommend it to anyone as it seems to have no side effects with me.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 20, 2014 12:30 AM

My doctor will not prescribe Xanax, Klonopin, or Ativan for anxiety, but he was comfortable giving me a script for Librium (chlordiazepoxide) 25mg capsules 4x a day for my anxiety. Worked well at the beginning, but like all benzo's, the efficacy wore off after about a month of use. Was great while it worked and it was very inexpensive! Tapered off then went back on it a few months later and it worked like a charm again! On and off usage for close to 5 years now.

April 22, 2014 8:43 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

ALOT of stress in my life, and didn't sleep at night. Always turned to alcohol to solve these problems. My doctor put me on Librium and I have been on it for just over a year now, and alcohol-free. I still worry about things, but they are easy to just let go, and I sleep every night, without waking up every hour stressing over something. One thing I will say, though, is that though it has taken the anxiety out of my life, it's like it has also taken away the joy, like ALL the color is gone, not just the darkness. I feel "comfortably numb" most of the time. Still, better than the way it used to be! I was prescribed 25mg 3 times per day, but I take 1 pill when I get up, split the 2nd into two 1/2 doses, then 1 pill an hr before bed.

July 29, 2013 1:57 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Only medicine that no side effects. Take as when required basis and have no issues.

September 4, 2012 2:13 PM

Review by Savannah Lynn:

I take it 4 times a day. It keeps me ok If I have no other stress at the time. I have severe panic attacks, mid level agoraphobia and anxiety. During what is mild stress for some disables me, at those times nothing works. But for regular anxiety I like it because I have no side effect.

February 2, 2012 2:15 PM

I've tried several medications for moderate anxiety and panic attacks. Librium has worked the most reliably. Xanax and Ativan work quickly but are too short acting. Klonopin didn't do much for me. Librium starts to take effect within about a half hour, makes me calm (not high) and keeps me calm for hours.

September 23, 2011 2:47 AM

Hardly any effect on my anxiety.

March 25, 2010 5:07 PM

My spouse drove me to the ER after I had a major panic attack. I was given 50mg of Librium and under 1/2 hour I became relieved from the attack. After 1 to 2 hours I had felt much more secure.

February 26, 2010 3:09 PM

Have been through Klonopin, Xanax, Valium. I didn't care for the high feeling from any of these drugs. Librium has a way of mellowing me out without behaving differently. Great job of relieving my anxiety.

June 23, 2009 12:57 PM

This drug did very little for me. My Doctor prescribed it as an alternative to Xanax until a full clinical work up could be done. As a moderate to heavy drinker, he did not advise me that this is used to pull people from the disease. I don't feel like I have issues with alcoholism but it really messed me up when mixing the two. Felt stoned or comatosed. Taking the drug sober did almost nothing anyway except when I take 2 or 3 at a time and still it does not release the anxiety I have.

June 8, 2009 9:42 AM