User Reviews for Librax

Learn more about Librax.

Librax review summary

9.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 96 medications used in the treatment of Irritable Bowel Syndrome.

Reviews for Librax to treat Irritable Bowel Syndrome

Review by BeckyV (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Life saver. I have Celiacs, colitis, and most likely irritable bowel syndrome. Also had small bowel resection about two years ago now. Diarrhea/cramping/nausea can get pretty bad at times. Have been taking 1-2 twice a day and these issues completely go away for me in about an hour. My anxiety about going out and having an episode has decreased significantly because I know there is something that will help me. FINALLY. This medication has also allowed me to get into running again. AMAZING. AMAZING. AMAZING. I feel many doctors are hesitant to prescribe this because of the benzodiazepine component, but the only side effect I seem to have is dry eyes and mouth. Have tried every other antispasmodic, no luck. So happy it's helping others.

July 27, 2014 5:30 PM

Review by Annie1946 (taken for 10 years or more):

In 1990 due to the stress of my father and my husband having life-threatening health issues, I, who was a very healthy person, wound up in the doctor's office explaining of my excruciating abdominal pain, my weakness, nausea, and desire to sleep. I was given a prescription for Librax. and was told if it was Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Librax would help me. It was a life-saver! Since then I've suffered three or four episodes, but none as severe as the first two. They always come during a time of 'life stress' issues. No insurance. No negative side effects of Librax for me!

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 14, 2014 7:53 AM

Review by CTS2014 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I developed irritable bowel syndrome while in college. During my first "episode" I wound up hospitalized due to severe abdominal pain and dehydration. I had already been diagnosed with GERD 18 months prior (from a doctor prescribing ibuprofen, I take 4x daily for WAY too long). After a couple days of tests and fluids the GI Doc. diagnosed me with anxiety induced irritable bowel syndrome. Paired with GERD I was in constant agony. Lots of vomiting. I lost 15lbs in a couple weeks (started out at 135lbs at 5'3") and was close to being hospitalized again. Then a doctor put me on Librax and Prilosec. I can enjoy life again. I have fewer than 4 episodes a year now of IBS (still trying to manage the GERD). I take 2-3 a day, 4 if I decide to go out for spicy or overly greasy food. LOVE LIBRAX.

May 14, 2014 11:27 AM

Review by CBS 1976:

I have had Irritable Bowel Syndrome for 29 years. I have been on Librax and Zantac for those years. In 2007 it went into remission. Came back out in December 2013. It has been terrible so back on Librax 1-2 tablets 4 times per day. Since February 2014 I have lost 27lbs also taking Vitamin B12 shots to build me up because my body was not getting enough nutrients.

April 14, 2014 11:23 AM

Review by CMF1225 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

This has definitely helped my irritable bowel syndrome symptoms which are horrible gas pain, and foul smelling flatulence. It is not perfect and I did go off it to try Linzess but that did not work at all so went back to Librax. I have started adding Miralax and Citrucel because I think this IBS may be constipation related. I take 2-3 per day.

March 25, 2014 5:30 PM

Review by Heather Davidson:

Have suffered all my life with IBS. Not diaganosed until 25. Librax saved my life.

November 4, 2013 11:23 AM

Review by Lisaanngeorge:

As many of you know, the pain of gastro issues leave very little to laugh over, so that said: I've gained three inches in height back since taking this medicine! See, I'm NO LONGER walking hunched over with my hand clasping my abdomen with my eyebrows scrunched up! I can stand upright again, now that the pain has subsided. Truth be told, I had very little hope that this medication would work, I'd had "nerve" pills and "stomach" meds and just could NOT fathom that finally something WOULD kick in! I had been in gastro pain for approx 3 years and my eating has become an issue due to it. Having been 93 lbs not very long ago, and now hanging in around 106, I say try this if you can. It MAY have saved my life.

September 10, 2013 4:11 PM

Review by OLD RN (taken for 10 years or more):

I started on this medicines years ago-4 times a day. MRI showed I spasmed every inch of bowel-horrible pain. Now, I take 2 at bedtime. Has been a life saver, still have episodes but not as frequent. I recommend this to anyone who suffered as I did. It will show up on a drug screen as a benzodiazepine, just make sure you have a script from your doctor. I have insomnia, so it does a double duty, just can't take it during the day and work.

July 8, 2013 10:14 AM

Review by Suddenhalt (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I too had not eaten in almost a year. Bentyl was painful and other medicines made me ill. Librax saved my life. I lost 50lbs and I was not heavy. My problem now is extreme stress keeps me on this medicine. When I can find work or sell house When I am not about to lose everything I hope to get off Librax and Ativan.

May 26, 2013 11:45 AM

Review by Iti (taken for less than 1 month):

Recently started treatment for Irritable Bowel Syndrome. The Doctor is indeed highly experienced. On medication thrice daily since 2 weeks now. Only issue is drowsiness, don't feel like getting up from bed, even feel like sleeping during day time, only physical activity then can keep me awake but still drowsiness lingers on.

March 23, 2013 3:18 AM

Review by Amit1234 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Very much effective..

October 6, 2012 12:50 PM

Review by Cajun Boy (taken for 2 to 5 years):

With Crohn's and irritable bowel syndrome, trips were out of the question. My MD put me on Librax and in my opinion saved my life. I can now enjoy a meal at a restaurant then take out and eating it at home. The cramps are gone and now I'm am enjoying life as never before. Thanks to my doctor for this miracle.

August 21, 2012 9:28 PM

Works great if taken more than ten minutes before eating. Saved my life, had not eaten solid food for 2 years.

April 14, 2012 6:27 PM

Review by chowdary:

I have had irritable bowel syndrome since childhhod. Bad thing was all doctors thought my symptoms as amebiasis but from internet search I met a doctor. I have to praise him as he prescribed me this medicine, daily one before bed. My problem solved for 10 days which I'm suffering from 15 years.

March 20, 2012 11:48 PM

Review by wallacemathteach:

I have been taking Librax during periods of high stress when my irritable bowel syndrome would flare up since the early 1980s. I don't take it as prescribed - it's too much. I take one capsule when symptoms flare up and I usually don't need another one. 30 capsules can last me 6 months or until they expire. Librax can cause cotton mouth. I've tried Bentyl and Levsin and they don't work nearly as well on the spasms. I also get esophageal spasms and the Librax does a nice job of stopping them.

February 11, 2012 9:19 AM

Life changing.

December 24, 2011 4:28 AM

Review by meyati:

I've had irritable bowel syndrome since the 1960s. Librax (started about 1992) stops the spasms that create diarrhea. It also relaxes the gut when it knots up and made me constipated at times. I used to live in clinics, be doubled up with pain-covered, with sweat, and on a highly restricted diet. After 15 years, I can have a cup of coffee in the morning. I can eat dry cereals, eggs and bacon. I hike, can wear light colored pants, sample most foods. I still can't handle sugar, but I can nibble on fries or a salad, eat an occasional apple or peach. Now my problem is continually getting scripts for Librax, because I seem normal. I have real fear about not getting Librax and ending up sicker than a dog.

July 1, 2011 2:42 PM

Have diarrhea related irritable bowel syndrome and Librax CHANGED my life. The doctor who connected me with this is my angel.

April 9, 2011 1:01 PM

I also have Crohn's and ulcerative colitis. I was started on Librax upon getting my initial diagnosis, took it for several weeks and kept telling everyone how "I've never felt better in my life" and then one day on the way to work I nearly fell asleep behind the wheel of my car on the drive into work. There is a chemical in chlordiazepoxide that has a half-life of over 400 hours, so the 'benzo' part of this medicine can build up pretty quickly. I stopped the medication for awhile and have since gone back on it without any of the previously mentioned problems, but I did cut my dose down from 1 pill every 8 hours to 1 pill every 10-12.....so only 2 pills a day instead of 3. I still get the relief I need, but do not get drowsy at all.

October 7, 2010 7:56 PM

Made me more constipated, and increasingly so, to the point where I'd go 2-3 days without a bowel motion.

May 5, 2010 9:05 PM

Review by schab:

I have IBS - and I've been taking Librax for about 1.5 months now. I do see a difference. Pain in my stomach and abdomen are gone.

November 18, 2009 1:21 PM

Review by lilmel:

I had Irritable bowel syndrome for about 7 or 8 years. Then I got pregnant back in 2007 and haven't had it since. In March of 2008 I had to have my gall bladder removed. About a month after that, I couldn't eat without getting sick. Sometimes it was so bad. I went to my doctor and he wanted me on the Librax (generic) and it's been a life saver. Even when I had IBS I couldn't eat the way I can now.

July 22, 2009 8:12 PM

Review by lvnwtcrohns:

I have Crohns Disease and irritable bowel syndrome. I have been through a lot getting all this under control. I have been on Librax for about a week and the pain after eating has almost gone away completely. Although I'm very tired and kind of out of it but I am hoping those side effects go away very soon.

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 22, 2009 9:36 PM