User Reviews for Zyrtec

Learn more about Zyrtec.

Zyrtec Rating Summary

8.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 136 medications used in the treatment of Urticaria.

Reviews for Zyrtec to treat Urticaria

"I had first hive outbreak at age 63, off and one, lasting for a year. I visited the allergy doctor once and was advised to "enjoy life more and don't do too much! It could be stress-related". I did not take any medicine. Then for one and half a year, I was fine. For the recent 3 months, I have been suffering from the second chronic hive outbreak. They are acting up on my face, lips, eyes, and face which are new and more severe symptoms. At the same time, my older son had the same outbreak and has been taking Zyrtec daily by his doctor's recommendation. I have been asking a total of 13 pills from him. Firstly I took one a day for 4 days. They were very effective on me. Each pill can stop the hives for 3 days."

Rothive March 1, 2016

"After travelling to Japan in Sep 2015 and having ,enjoying with tremendous quantity of sea food sasimi, BBQ Wangyu beef and wonderful cheese cake , I woke up next morning with hives literally covered my both front arms outer parts and partially between shoulder and neck. Never experienced previously with allergic reaction in my life ( btw I am 52y/o) After doing intensive checkup, blood tests, etc., etc., and more etc. finally one of the brilliant Doctor gave me the Zyrtec. I have been taking (one a day) for 2 weeks. I still don't know (my doctor either) what triggered these ugly hives but eventually all disappeared and gone to hell. I highly recommend. I agree about side effects especially causing impair my thinking."

Ozjan (taken for less than 1 month) December 11, 2015

"52 y/o Well I have had hives for 2 almost 3 weeks now on my face scalp neck..cause undermined and I never had them before. I was put on pred-Metra-soul pack that I quit due to the extreme side effects. A sedative. I used a heap of ear and eye drops. Was taking Benadryll. I just wanted to claw my skin off..the welts were painful and then became HORRIBLY insanely itchy. One or three would go away only to be replaced by 4, eyes and even ears swelled shut. Tried Zertec after 3rd doc visit. Felt good! ITCHING STOPPED..still some swelling around one eye but given how bad it was this is like a miracle. Just took a second one today and tho still a LITTLE residual swelling- 95% better. NO SIDE EFFECTS either. This drug is a god send"

TheBeeHive November 20, 2015

"I have been getting viral hives over the last 6 months. I went and saw an allergist (who diagnosed me) and he recommends this instead of Benadryl. For me it hasn't helped. I guess I'm not as lucky as the others here."

trinkystar (taken for less than 1 month) April 17, 2015

"I would have a hives outbreak occasionally and went to see an allergist who just told me it had nothing to do with food and to take 1 zyrtec 2 if they were bad. I had an outbreak and they went down but it took awhile to work. I decided to get a second opinion with another allergist who ran tests and finally told me to take a zyrtec everday for life. He said if I felt an outbreak wanting to come to take a second one. I am happy to report this has actually worked I have gone 7 months with no hives outbreak! It feels wonderful to have my life back without worries of an outbreak! Please talk to your doctor about this recommendation my allergist gave me, I hope it helps someone out there. :)"

brkano April 13, 2015

"I've had chronic hives for years and until a doctor in the emergency room found exactly what to do.. within 2 hours, it was gone. She hooked me up to an IV and gave me a high dose of steriods, not the medrol dose pack. 20 MG 3 times a day (after I went home)but she also gave me Zyrtec 10 mg, and Prilosec. Apparently the Prilosec helps also. But I still get hives every 2 months. When I get hives, I welt up with a rash from head to toe, my skin is red as can be, and it burns badly and itches , also take lukewarm baths with a lot of Epsom salt,and the soap I use for hives attack is home made lye soap! It must be home made, I'm curious about how much Zyrtec can you take within 24 hr. Period safely"

wish2dance March 6, 2015

"Zyrtec never helped my runny nose or itchy eyes but it eliminated about 90 percent of my hives, and for me, that might as well be a hundred percent. My hives came on gradually and worsened over the years. It got to the point where my skin burned and itched pretty much 24/7. When I started taking Zyrtec regularly I noticed immediate improvement. Before I had just assumed my post shave rash was normal but now I know it was my hives response."

Gailfsu (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 3, 2015

"I have had hives a few times now. I just got done with a horrible case from penicillin. Took prednisone for several days. Some hives appear in the morning. Now I control with one Zyrtec per day. It works for me. No side effects. Great product."

Kathoncamano (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 20, 2014

"The feeling of being on fire started when I was 17 and the daily attacks didn't stop until I found Cetirizine HCL (Zyrtec) some 5 years ago. I'm now 50 I take a tablet every morning and I'm good. For me it's a miracle pill. "

JGofCalifornia August 19, 2014

"My husband has been having hive outbreaks which seem to have gotten progressively more severe over the last 8 months. His doctor has been changing medications trying to find the source. Husband is on blood pressure and statins. Benadryl is not as effective anymore plus taking it every six hours makes him sleep all the time. I am so glad I found this website! Talked with doctor about trying one of these antihistamine treatments and she agreed. It has worked! No more hives! Fantastic! He has a life again. Who knew that a 10mg pill could make such a difference."

Cindy O. August 6, 2014

"I have had hives for five days now, they burn. I took 10mg of Zyrtec but they are no help. I still have the hives and still have the pain that only a ice pack will help."

us395 May 8, 2014

"I've had chronic urticaria for over 2 years now, and out of all the allergy medicines, Zyrtec works the best. My hives have become much harder to manage in the past year, so I need to take twice the Zyrtec I used to, but it still works much better than Allegra or Claritin for me."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 25, 2013

"I had hives for 3 weeks and I was completely miserable! I was put on steroids for 3 days and they came back as soon as I quit them. I was taking Benadryl everyday and was still so itchy. About ready to go nuts I researched and researched things to try. Into week 3 with the hives I started taking Vitamin C, Vitamin D and Vitamin B12 and drinking green tea everyday. Took a Zyrtec one morning and my hives were cleared by evening. I have been taking 1 a day for 3 days now and I'm hive free..feeling great."

clebrun (taken for less than 1 month) August 2, 2013

"I've had dermatographism or chronic urticaria for about 1 yr before I started taking Zyrtec. I started taking Zyrtec in January and now I forgot I even have the skin problem! When I first tried this product, the side effects made me extremely sleepy and thirsty. It dried my body out. But the side effects went away after prolonged use. Now I feel like a normal person!"

naomi96 June 9, 2013

"I just started Zyrtec 10 mg one week ago for allergies. I have been plagued by intense palm itching with various other areas, arms, ankles, legs which develops into hives. I am happy to say...GONE NOW! Thank goodness! It was maddening and my doctor never got excited about it! So happy now!"

55Epi Deb April 22, 2013

"I have had chronic idiopathic urticaria AND demographism for the last 14 years with no identifiable cause. 10mg daily works great and keeps the hives away. The drowsiness subsides after prolonged use."

anonymous_6 April 18, 2013

"As someone who uses Zyrtec as one of 2 primary treatments (The other being Benadryl.) I can vouch that Zyrtec gets the job done as described. 24 hours of itch free and low-drowsiness is very suitable for me. If you are someone having withdrawals from Zyrtec then you don't take it right. It only occurs when your body needs the Zyrtec in order for your brain to be chemically balanced. This usually occurs if you take it based on a schedule rather then when you notice your real symptoms. If you listen to your doctor and/or the label, then you will be like me as someone who is happy to be symptom free."

AllergySufferer March 14, 2012

"Used Zyrtec for years and it keeps the hives/welts at bay. Works great."

Anonymous April 12, 2011

"I suffer from acute symptoms of psoriasis and Keibners phenomenon with severe itching. I also have asthma, coughing constantly. I'm newly diagnosed with psoriasis so I couldn't figure out what was going on with the severe itching and what was triggering my rashes. After seeing 5 other doctors, I went to an allergist and he suggested to take Zyrtec. I didn't think it would help but it really does. It doesn't cause me drowsiness but it wears off after 12 hrs and my itching from psoriasis comes back. My rheumatologist suggested to take one in the morning and one at night. It helps with the severe itching. It stops my coughing as well."

Anonymous February 10, 2011

"I've had hives 4 times now. The last time they lasted 1 entire year. Nothing worked. My allergist said that the doctors had failed miserably at keeping me comfortable during my ordeal. I tried Zertec this time. My hives are totally gone. My skin crawls and tingles when it is about time for another dose, but the new dose takes care of it. No complaints at all. I do have crazy dreams, but that is a small price to pay in exchange for no itching, etc."

Worried Mother November 1, 2009

"I used this and got itchy all over. I developed red blotches all over my body and it looked like hives. When I stop taking it I get all itchy. "

j.b1195 April 16, 2009

"I have had cholinergic urticaria for a few years now. I break out into hives when I start exerting myself physically or it's hot. After taking Zyrtec 1/2 an hour before my workout, I didn't experience that irritating itchy feeling all over nor did I get hives. My skin got red but no bumps. I don't care as long as I don't get the irritation which works to create an aversion to exercise. I took a 5 mg dosage. After my workout, I went to sleep at 7 p.m., woke up for an hour and then went to bed at 9 p.m. only to sleep the whole following day. I was unusually fatigued and sleepy. I'm going to try 2.5 mg today to see if that helps."

frustratedgirl November 15, 2008

"It works great for the symptoms of my allergies and hay fever. It does make me extremely sleepy though. But, I suppose that is better then having a pounding headache or a sneezing/coughing attack."

Anonymous September 23, 2008

"so far itching is a lot less. Just 1 day on Zyrtec. We will see. I hope it helps me. I have hives all over my face."

sierra1997 April 26, 2008

"I love this product. I've been taking the generic version lately and have had to take two with no symptom relief (still sneezing violently and itchy watery eyes). I recommend Zyrtec as the first option."

SeanSargent April 22, 2008