User Reviews for Zyrtec

Learn more about Zyrtec.

Zyrtec review summary

8.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 152 medications used in the treatment of Urticaria.

Reviews for Zyrtec to treat Urticaria

Review by JGofCalifornia:

The feeling of being on fire started when I was 17 and the daily attacks didn't stop until I found Cetirizine HCL (Zyrtec) some 5 years ago. I'm now 50 I take a tablet every morning and I'm good. For me it's a miracle pill.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 19, 2014 11:10 PM

Review by Cindy O.:

My husband has been having hive outbreaks which seem to have gotten progressively more severe over the last 8 months. His doctor has been changing medications trying to find the source. Husband is on blood pressure and statins. Benadryl is not as effective anymore plus taking it every six hours makes him sleep all the time. I am so glad I found this website! Talked with doctor about trying one of these antihistamine treatments and she agreed. It has worked! No more hives! Fantastic! He has a life again. Who knew that a 10mg pill could make such a difference.

August 6, 2014 12:21 PM

Review by us395:

I have had hives for five days now, they burn. I took 10mg of Zyrtec but they are no help. I still have the hives and still have the pain that only a ice pack will help.

May 8, 2014 9:10 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I've had chronic urticaria for over 2 years now, and out of all the allergy medicines, Zyrtec works the best. My hives have become much harder to manage in the past year, so I need to take twice the Zyrtec I used to, but it still works much better than Allegra or Claritin for me.

August 25, 2013 4:22 PM

Review by clebrun (taken for less than 1 month):

I had hives for 3 weeks and I was completely miserable! I was put on steroids for 3 days and they came back as soon as I quit them. I was taking Benadryl everyday and was still so itchy. About ready to go nuts I researched and researched things to try. Into week 3 with the hives I started taking Vitamin C, Vitamin D and Vitamin B12 and drinking green tea everyday. Took a Zyrtec one morning and my hives were cleared by evening. I have been taking 1 a day for 3 days now and I'm hive free..feeling great.

August 2, 2013 10:04 PM

Review by naomi96:

I've had dermatographism or chronic urticaria for about 1 yr before I started taking Zyrtec. I started taking Zyrtec in January and now I forgot I even have the skin problem! When I first tried this product, the side effects made me extremely sleepy and thirsty. It dried my body out. But the side effects went away after prolonged use. Now I feel like a normal person!

June 9, 2013 10:32 AM

Review by 55Epi Deb:

I just started Zyrtec 10 mg one week ago for allergies. I have been plagued by intense palm itching with various other areas, arms, ankles, legs which develops into hives. I am happy to say...GONE NOW! Thank goodness! It was maddening and my doctor never got excited about it! So happy now!

April 22, 2013 12:13 AM

Review by anonymous_6:

I have had chronic idiopathic urticaria AND demographism for the last 14 years with no identifiable cause. 10mg daily works great and keeps the hives away. The drowsiness subsides after prolonged use.

April 18, 2013 1:59 AM

Review by AllergySufferer:

As someone who uses Zyrtec as one of 2 primary treatments (The other being Benadryl.) I can vouch that Zyrtec gets the job done as described. 24 hours of itch free and low-drowsiness is very suitable for me. If you are someone having withdrawals from Zyrtec then you don't take it right. It only occurs when your body needs the Zyrtec in order for your brain to be chemically balanced. This usually occurs if you take it based on a schedule rather then when you notice your real symptoms. If you listen to your doctor and/or the label, then you will be like me as someone who is happy to be symptom free.

March 14, 2012 8:54 PM

Used Zyrtec for years and it keeps the hives/welts at bay. Works great.

April 12, 2011 1:06 PM

I suffer from acute symptoms of psoriasis and Keibners phenomenon with severe itching. I also have asthma, coughing constantly. I'm newly diagnosed with psoriasis so I couldn't figure out what was going on with the severe itching and what was triggering my rashes. After seeing 5 other doctors, I went to an allergist and he suggested to take Zyrtec. I didn't think it would help but it really does. It doesn't cause me drowsiness but it wears off after 12 hrs and my itching from psoriasis comes back. My rheumatologist suggested to take one in the morning and one at night. It helps with the severe itching. It stops my coughing as well.

February 10, 2011 7:46 AM

Review by Worried Mother:

I've had hives 4 times now. The last time they lasted 1 entire year. Nothing worked. My allergist said that the doctors had failed miserably at keeping me comfortable during my ordeal. I tried Zertec this time. My hives are totally gone. My skin crawls and tingles when it is about time for another dose, but the new dose takes care of it. No complaints at all. I do have crazy dreams, but that is a small price to pay in exchange for no itching, etc.

November 1, 2009 9:26 PM

Review by j.b1195:

I used this and got itchy all over. I developed red blotches all over my body and it looked like hives. When I stop taking it I get all itchy.

April 16, 2009 9:12 PM

Review by frustratedgirl:

I have had cholinergic urticaria for a few years now. I break out into hives when I start exerting myself physically or it's hot. After taking Zyrtec 1/2 an hour before my workout, I didn't experience that irritating itchy feeling all over nor did I get hives. My skin got red but no bumps. I don't care as long as I don't get the irritation which works to create an aversion to exercise. I took a 5 mg dosage. After my workout, I went to sleep at 7 p.m., woke up for an hour and then went to bed at 9 p.m. only to sleep the whole following day. I was unusually fatigued and sleepy. I'm going to try 2.5 mg today to see if that helps.

November 15, 2008 3:09 PM

It works great for the symptoms of my allergies and hay fever. It does make me extremely sleepy though. But, I suppose that is better then having a pounding headache or a sneezing/coughing attack.

September 23, 2008 10:00 AM

Review by sierra1997:

so far itching is a lot less. Just 1 day on Zyrtec. We will see. I hope it helps me. I have hives all over my face.

April 26, 2008 4:09 PM

Review by SeanSargent:

I love this product. I've been taking the generic version lately and have had to take two with no symptom relief (still sneezing violently and itchy watery eyes). I recommend Zyrtec as the first option.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 22, 2008 12:03 PM

The doctor gave me Zyrtec for a skin problem that I've had for a coule of years. If I take Zyrtec I don't have any symptoms. It works great!!!

April 14, 2008 12:58 PM