User Reviews for Zyrtec

Learn more about Zyrtec.

Zyrtec review summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 558 medications used in the treatment of Hay Fever.

Reviews for Zyrtec to treat Hay Fever

Review by Saljofra50:

I was suffering really bad with my sinuses over the weekend and could find any relief. The doctor told me in the past to take Claritin, but it has never helped. I was at work this morning and my co worker told me about Zyrtec. Actually she had one for me to try and within 30 minutes, I could feel the pressure letting up in my sinus areas and what a surprise, I could breathe so much better, no sneezing, dripping, coughing, horrible pressure in my sinuses. I was astonished that this little pill could work so effectively. I have to say that I feel like a totally different person today, thanks to Zyrtec. If you haven't ever tried it, be sure to, it is the best of the best. I love you ZYRTEC!

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 30, 2014 9:03 AM

Review by Nicfing (taken for less than 1 month):

Took Zyrtec on the advice of my ENT for chronic sinusitis from hay fever. It worked wonders on my sinuses but I can not function on it due to extreme drowsiness and fatigue. I am going to have to stop taking it!

April 21, 2014 2:49 PM

Review by College Student:

Zyrtec relieved me of my allergies (except for my worst days), but the side effects were horrible--drowsiness being the worst. I took it at night, however, it still made me so drowsy during the day that in school I fell asleep in every class. Eventually my friends convinced me to stop taking it because they had experienced the same thing.

March 25, 2014 12:44 AM

Review by Amityjv (taken for less than 1 month):

Zyrtec works well in combating allergies as well as allergic rhinitis. The best I've found.I take at night about an hour before bedtime and sleep like a baby all night. Love it. First time in years I can say I feel great and not congested from allergies.

March 6, 2014 6:31 AM

Review by Ragweed sufferer (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Zyrtec works incredibly well for my severe ragweed allergy. However, each fall I've noticed it's making me more and more drowsy, to the point that I don't want to do anything and I'm needing naps in the afternoon. I think I'm going to have to discontinue it, which is frustrating because it works much better than the other meds I've tried.

August 25, 2013 10:21 PM

Review by bobbyx:

It really did not work for me. My eyes itched a bit less, but my nose just kept itching and running. Also sneezed multiple time after 1st dose. Tried a 2nd tablet 4 hours later with no noticeable results. This may work for some people but I get better relief from Benadryl, which works well but causes drowsiness.

October 3, 2012 5:18 PM

Review by lgs11 (taken for less than 1 month):

I just took Zyrtec for the first time yesterday. It did make me drowsy but I also didn't get much sleep the night before. I took it because my eye was so itchy and watery it had become swollen and I was having trouble breathing. I have had allergies for over 15 years but never took anything before this. Well I don't know if this is an unlisted side effect but I woke up in my sleep cracking up and could not stop laughing for a few minutes even after my husband woke me. I wonder if anyone else had intense dreams while on this medication. I don't take anything else that would cause this.

May 21, 2012 12:14 PM

Zyrtec worked well for my nasal allergies, but when I tried to stop taking it after several years, I got the skin itch/rash that many have reported. It was worst for the first few days, but now even a year later I still frequently get a skin rash when I get warm (cholinergic urticaria). I can't say for sure that the cholinergic urticaria was a side effect of stopping Zyrtec, but skin rashes were never a symptom of mine until I stopped.

March 15, 2012 11:43 PM

It works better than any other medicine I have tried. Down side is the itching, which is caused by its negative effect on the liver. Therefore, I do not take it everyday. I have to wait a day or so in between.

February 28, 2012 8:14 PM

I thought Zyrtec (cetirizine) was great at first because it worked so well on my allergies. I have gained 15 pounds over 1-1/2 years. I didn't think it was related to Zyrtec, but recently figured out that it is. I am an extremely healthy eater (no processed foods or white flours/sugars), a runner and triathlete without weight issues before Zyrtec. I attributed the weight gain to age, hormones and finally my thyroid. Blood tests ruled out the hormone and thyroid issues. I only take HRT & Zyrtec. I stopped Zyrtec 3 days ago and have lost 2 pounds without any changes in diet. I am willing to suffer with allergy symptoms if I can lose this weight.

February 27, 2012 5:44 PM

Review by florida allergies:

All day I have had runny nose, itchy watery eyes, sneezing, throat closing. I finally could not take it anymore I did some research online to determine the best OTC medication to use, Zyrtec stood out the most. I figured that it must be pretty strong due to the fact that at one time you needed a script to get it. I took my first tab at 3:00pm its now 3:18. I am starting to feel the effects of Zyrtec I have not sneezed as of yet my watery nose and eye's are starting to clear up. I'm beginning to breathe easier.

February 10, 2012 3:22 PM

I have been taking Zyrtec for about 2 years for hayfever. I have noticed that it doesn't seem to be working as well for my symptoms as it did at first. I stopped taking it 3 days ago and now I am experiencing severe itching on my hands and feet.

October 22, 2011 12:32 PM

This is the only medication that has worked for me so far (besides Benadryl), but it gives me horrible dry mouth and eyes after using it for a few days, and if I take it for longer than that my tongue starts to hurt because of the dryness. I would give it a 10 if it weren't for those symptoms.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 5, 2011 12:49 AM

Review by Zyrtec Itch:

Make the itching stop. I took this for Hayfever and it worked. BUT, it then caused me to have head to toe bumps and itchiness even after stopping taking it. The itching is keeping me up at night. I am hoping to wait it out and never take it again. Also while I was taking it my eyes and face got really, really swollen. I am still not sure if this was from an unusually bad allergy season or the Zyrtec, but I am going to guess it is the Zyrtec because my allergies have never caused this before (usually I just have sinus and itchy eyes).

June 9, 2011 11:39 AM

Review by Cap bob:

I have just decided to stop taking Zyrtec. It worked well on my allergies. However I have had increase in back and joint pain i.e. knee and hip the past two weeks. Not sure it's Zyrtec but felt I'd eliminate it to see if symptoms resolve.

June 6, 2011 12:28 PM

It works well, however, it made me as sleepy as Benadryl.

November 14, 2010 7:20 PM

I suffered from multiple sinus infections several times a year. Since taking Zyrtec on a regular basis I have been sinus trouble free for over a year. THANK YOU ZYRTEC!

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 9, 2010 8:23 PM

This product only helped one of my many allergic symptoms, my eyes stopped itching after two hours but my nose kept on running.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 15, 2010 10:53 AM

Review by khumar_rhalz:

Very effective.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 8, 2010 11:12 AM

Review by smellarose:

Zyrtec is the only medicine that controls my allergy symptoms, but it makes me so tired, sleepy and I always seem to be "zoning out". I even passed a red light at an intersection a few days ago...thankfully no one was hurt.

April 1, 2010 7:04 PM

Caused loss of ability to focus, gained 30lbs in six weeks I was on it. Many many more symptoms. Stopped using and all but the weight went a way. Weight dropped 10lbs in 2 weeks after stopping.

March 2, 2010 7:12 PM

Review by Blorb:

It is amazing!

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 11, 2010 3:18 PM

I just took Zyrtec for the first time last night. I slept great, but now that I am awake, I feel so tired. I am not experiencing any of my allergy symptoms, but I am on Nasonex too. Nasonex and Zyrtec work great together, the Zyrtec is the antihistamine, and the Nasonex is just a generic allergy medication. I am very sluggish, but people have said that it wears off within a couple of days. I am a little drawn back though, people have been saying it causes problems with their moods, but I trust my doctor who prescribed it to me. Hope you all feel better soon.

August 20, 2009 10:58 AM

Review by theuncles:

Two of us have used Zyrtec for many years because it is stronger than the other so-called non-drowsy antihistamines such as Allegra and Claritin. We need relief mostly for sinus itching, throbbing, pressure, and discomfort; also useful for itchy allergic skin. This medicine will usually cause pronounced drowsiness for the first 3 days, so the best way to get used to it is: take 1/2 a pill daily for 3 days, then the whole pill daily. Also, it may increase urination. But as I say, it is very effective.

July 28, 2009 5:45 PM

Took one pill and it knocked me out. If I had to drive I would not have been able to.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate