User Reviews for Cefuroxime

Also known as: Ceftin, Kefurox, Zinacef

Learn more about Cefuroxime.

Bladder Infection 1 reviews 79 medications

Bronchitis 6 reviews 285 medications

5.7
Skin and Structure Infection 1 reviews 65 medications

Epiglottitis 0 reviews 25 medications Not rated - Be the first
Gonococcal Infection, Disseminated 0 reviews 17 medications Not rated - Be the first
Gonococcal Infection, Uncomplicated 0 reviews 37 medications Not rated - Be the first
Impetigo 0 reviews 8 medications Not rated - Be the first
Surgical Prophylaxis 0 reviews 55 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Cefuroxime reviews 40 reviews 7.5

Reviews for Cefuroxime

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bronchitis: I took this medicine at night and when I got up in the morning my lips had a white film on them and I pulled it off. I looked in the mirror and there was this white film on and inside my mouth.There was a thick coating on my tongue that resembled spongy like material. I stopped taking the medicine.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 29, 2015 1:06 PM

Review by Danilo A. Cadog (taken for less than 1 month):

For Urinary Tract Infection: I have suffered pain in my abdomen and back portion. It was diagnosed that I have urinary tract infection. My doctor was advised to take cefuroxime axetil 500mg 2 x a day good for 7 days. The pain was over even after took taking 1 tablet. It's nice no side effects I have felt while I took this medicine until I finished in 7 days.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 6, 2015 8:50 PM

Review by Bronchitis :( (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bronchitis: One of the best antibiotics for me... I was amazed how well it worked. Down side: taste is horrible but that's probably why it's so good. My side effects were plentiful but the risks outweighed the bad... My biggest side effect was nausea and vomiting there were lots of moments I had to run to a bathroom or get out of a moving vehicle.... With all that, I'm still grateful. I was sicker then ever before. I slept last night fully for the first time in almost 3 weeks... If like me one of your symptoms are no appetite either force feed yourself or find an alternative with your doctor. I'm sure being able to eat would've helped ease my stomach. Feel better. Had some dizziness and vaginitis..

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 4, 2015 7:32 AM

Review by Priscilla Dearing (taken for less than 1 month):

Ceftin (cefuroxime) for Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: I'm currently being treated (with Ceftin) for a chest infection. I had been coughing & try as I might, couldn't bring up all the stuck mucous in my chest & throat. After one pill, the phlegm was loosened & there was a dramatic decrease in my coughing. Plus, I've had ZERO side effects! : )

December 28, 2014 5:02 AM

Ceftin (cefuroxime) for Sinusitis: I've had sinusitis for a couple of weeks, woozy, dizzy, pressure. I took a dose pack, which I normally take anyway and it helped some but no appreciable effects. I tried Augmentin and couldn't take anymore after one dose due to side effects. I've taken 3 Ceftin since yesterday and I feel much, much better.

December 11, 2014 5:06 PM

Review by The Big Irish Guy (taken for less than 1 month):

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: Prescribed to me for 14 days for a sinus, throat and lung infection that I was battling for 4 weeks without any relief through natural home remedies. Started to unclog the sinus within 72 hours, and began to be able to clear nose and chest through productive cough and sniffing inward to expel the phlegm. Drink plenty of water and eat/drink plenty of probiotic yogurt to avoid the associated diarrhea and stomach issues that can start. Works great. Found it better than Levaquin and without the severe tendon pain/ripping that was caused in my calves when sleeping.

October 22, 2014 9:54 PM

Review by missvash:

Ceftin (cefuroxime) for Strep Throat: No side effects at all... wiped it out first day.

March 6, 2014 9:43 PM

Review by Greatful:

For Sinusitis: I had been suffering for months with sinus pain. Cefuroxime Axetil was my second round of antibiotics. It was a new medicine for me, and it worked perfect. I began to feel better on day two. No side effects, no stomach pain, no bad taste, and easy to take. I am on day 9 of my 10 days and I feel great.

February 17, 2014 9:44 AM

Review by hisham zagloul:

Ceftin (cefuroxime) for Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: Pharmacist.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 13, 2014 4:26 PM

Review by Lymie (taken for less than 1 month):

Ceftin (cefuroxime) for Urinary Tract Infection: Have chronic Lyme disease - causing depressed immune function. Ceftin eliminated my urinary tract infection in one week without any side reactions. Felt better after first dose. Love this medication!

February 1, 2014 3:51 AM

Review by Diane B (taken for less than 1 month):

Ceftin (cefuroxime) for Sinusitis: Was sick with the worst sinus infection in my life for at least 3 weeks. It began to turn into pneumonia. Amoxil wasn't working. 2 doses of Ceftin so far and I'm feeling much better.

November 19, 2013 7:33 AM

Review by wahsld:

For Skin and Structure Infection: Eight weeks later after taking this drug I'm still recovering from side effects. It caused chills, fever, swollen lymph glands, bloated stomach, and gas. All symptoms have gone away except bloated stomach and gas. I've never had any stomach issues in my life, and now it's non-stop discomfort. I wouldn't recommend any one to take this medication.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 8, 2013 4:51 PM

Review by amberpep (taken for less than 1 month):

Ceftin (cefuroxime) for Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis: I have infections in the sinus, throat and upper chest. My doctor first put me on Augmentin, which caused me to throw up. She changed it to Ceftin, and it is giving me no trouble at all. Also, I am already feeling better in the sinus. I have a horrible cough, but I imagine that's from the bronchitis breaking up. I'm very pleased with how this is working so far.

July 4, 2013 11:30 AM

Review by Annie145 (taken for less than 1 month):

Ceftin (cefuroxime) for Pneumonia: Works and you start feeling better in 2-3 days but you get diarrhea. My doctor prescribed probiotics Florastor..that helped restore good bacteria.

May 29, 2013 10:45 PM

For Pneumonia: After 1-day noticed my lips burning, thought it was just chapped lips bought a tube of lip balm. On day 2 noticed tiny blisters forming on my bottom lip, and by the end of the day my bottom lip was beginning to swell. I quit using the lip balm but my lips continue to swell and burn. I developed a terribly deep but empty cough which I did not have before starting this prescription. This cough occurs while at rest, not while talking, eating, or exercising. Also soaking night sweats mainly from my head. I did not read the side effects on the prescription.

November 9, 2012 1:07 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Ceftin (cefuroxime) for Bladder Infection: I have painful bladder syndrome and was having many infections. I have been using Ceftin 250 mg once a day for a year and have had NO infections since the use of this medicine has been added to my routine.

November 2, 2012 5:13 PM

Review by CathyA (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Ceftin (cefuroxime) for Bronchitis: I started taking Ceftin for Bronchitis and I felt better within 2 days. I stayed on it for 6 weeks and my sinus condition and ETD symptoms went away after 4 years. This was a miracle for me.

August 7, 2012 6:27 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bronchitis: After 4 days of a ten day treatment plan, I developed vaginal bleeding. I not prone, nor have I ever experienced bleeding between periods. Dizziness, lack of ability to concentrate.

July 27, 2012 6:25 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Sinusitis: This was prescribed to me for a sinus infection. After 5 days of use I felt no change in my condition. This medication did not work for me. My dosage was 2 tablets by mouth twice a day. Tablets were 500mg.

May 22, 2012 9:06 AM

Ceftin (cefuroxime) for Pneumonia: I was prescribed this after 3 days on a Azithromycin was making me worse. My doctor told me the Z-pack wasn't working because my bronchitis had become pneumonia. After 2 days on the Ceftin (250 mg, twice daily), I was really starting to improve. My cough had lessened, chest congestion had loosened nicely and my headache/stuffiness had started to subside. I also used a humidifier. Now, 4 days in and I'm feeling almost human. The cough is almost gone, I can breathe almost normally and am much improved. I have always heard the Z-pack knocks out almost everything, but I'm proof it's not a cure-all. One thing to note is that Ceftin can be rough on your stomach, so be sure to take it with food. Crackers, toast or yogurt should be fine.

January 2, 2012 9:08 AM

For Sinusitis: I am a chronic sinusitis sufferer and normally I let it play out and my body will usually fight it off but every now and then I have to get antibiotics, usually once a year and twice on rare occasions. It usually takes anywhere from 5-7 Days before I get any relief well this time I went in because my tongue seemed cut and burning and throat was a little sore but I wasn't suffering from the normal sinus pressure and headaches but was told infection had spread to my ears and throat and was put on cefuroxime 500mg twice daily and though my tongue is still sore it seems to be healing ok and my throat and ears are no longer sore ears are plugged a bit though. I breathe better through my nose. I have not experienced the taste as my pills are coated.

November 11, 2011 9:52 AM

Review by Geranium:

Ceftin (cefuroxime) for Sinusitis: I had a sinus infection with fever (spiking higher at night); took me a while to figure out because I never had one before. Within a day of taking Ceftin, I no longer had a fever and felt much better. Had no problem taking the pill with water (unlike others); don't taste it at all. After 5 days, I still have thick mucus and less appetite than usual) but otherwise am doing much better than before. I notice no side effects from this medicine.

November 8, 2011 1:39 PM

Ceftin (cefuroxime) for : Ceftin has been more effective for me than penicillin, when it comes to infections. I have a very sensitive stomach and unlike most antibiotics Ceftin, does not cause me gastrointestinal upset. Be sure to take a probiotic in between doses of your antibiotic.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 4, 2011 3:01 PM

Ceftin (cefuroxime) for Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis: It quickly helped get rid of the infection in my throat BUT it is very hard to take. The taste of the pill is horrible and sticks around for a long time in the back of your throat. I used flavored yogurt to help counteract the flavor after I swallowed the pill. It also starts dissolving quickly so it tended to get stuck in my throat.

June 10, 2011 3:55 PM

Ceftin (cefuroxime) for Sinusitis: The bitter taste made the pills almost impossible to take. Dipping them in honey really worked! Thanks so much for that tip.

February 26, 2011 8:00 AM