User Reviews for Cefuroxime

Also known as: Ceftin, Kefurox, Zinacef

Learn more about Cefuroxime.

Bladder Infection 1 reviews 79 medications

Bronchitis 4 reviews 276 medications

6.6
Skin and Structure Infection 1 reviews 61 medications

Epiglottitis 0 reviews 25 medications Not rated - Be the first
Gonococcal Infection, Disseminated 0 reviews 16 medications Not rated - Be the first
Gonococcal Infection, Uncomplicated 0 reviews 37 medications Not rated - Be the first
Impetigo 0 reviews 8 medications Not rated - Be the first
Surgical Prophylaxis 0 reviews 54 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Cefuroxime reviews 34 reviews 7.5

Reviews for Cefuroxime

Review by missvash: User Rating:

Ceftin (cefuroxime) for Strep Throat: No side effects at all... wiped it out first day.

March 6, 2014 9:43 PM
Review by Greatful: User Rating:

cefuroxime for Sinusitis: I had been suffering for months with sinus pain. Cefuroxime Axetil was my second round of antibiotics. It was a new medicine for me, and it worked perfect. I began to feel better on day two. No side effects, no stomach pain, no bad taste, and easy to take. I am on day 9 of my 10 days and I feel great.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 17, 2014 9:44 AM
Review by hisham zagloul: User Rating:

Ceftin (cefuroxime) for Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: Pharmacist.

February 13, 2014 4:26 PM
Review by Lymie (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Ceftin (cefuroxime) for Urinary Tract Infection: Have chronic Lyme disease - causing depressed immune function. Ceftin eliminated my urinary tract infection in one week without any side reactions. Felt better after first dose. Love this medication!

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 1, 2014 3:51 AM
Review by Diane B (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Ceftin (cefuroxime) for Sinusitis: Was sick with the worst sinus infection in my life for at least 3 weeks. It began to turn into pneumonia. Amoxil wasn't working. 2 doses of Ceftin so far and I'm feeling much better.

November 19, 2013 7:33 AM
Review by wahsld: User Rating:

cefuroxime for Skin and Structure Infection: Eight weeks later after taking this drug I'm still recovering from side effects. It caused chills, fever, swollen lymph glands, bloated stomach, and gas. All symptoms have gone away except bloated stomach and gas. I've never had any stomach issues in my life, and now it's non-stop discomfort. I wouldn't recommend any one to take this medication.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 8, 2013 4:51 PM
Review by amberpep (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Ceftin (cefuroxime) for Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis: I have infections in the sinus, throat and upper chest. My doctor first put me on Augmentin, which caused me to throw up. She changed it to Ceftin, and it is giving me no trouble at all. Also, I am already feeling better in the sinus. I have a horrible cough, but I imagine that's from the bronchitis breaking up. I'm very pleased with how this is working so far.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
July 4, 2013 11:30 AM
Review by Annie145 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Ceftin (cefuroxime) for Pneumonia: Works and you start feeling better in 2-3 days but you get diarrhea. My doctor prescribed probiotics Florastor..that helped restore good bacteria.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
May 29, 2013 10:45 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

cefuroxime for Pneumonia: After 1-day noticed my lips burning, thought it was just chapped lips bought a tube of lip balm. On day 2 noticed tiny blisters forming on my bottom lip, and by the end of the day my bottom lip was beginning to swell. I quit using the lip balm but my lips continue to swell and burn. I developed a terribly deep but empty cough which I did not have before starting this prescription. This cough occurs while at rest, not while talking, eating, or exercising. Also soaking night sweats mainly from my head. I did not read the side effects on the prescription.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 9, 2012 1:07 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Ceftin (cefuroxime) for Bladder Infection: I have painful bladder syndrome and was having many infections. I have been using Ceftin 250 mg once a day for a year and have had NO infections since the use of this medicine has been added to my routine.

November 2, 2012 5:13 PM
Review by CathyA (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Ceftin (cefuroxime) for Bronchitis: I started taking Ceftin for Bronchitis and I felt better within 2 days. I stayed on it for 6 weeks and my sinus condition and ETD symptoms went away after 4 years. This was a miracle for me.

August 7, 2012 6:27 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

cefuroxime for Bronchitis: After 4 days of a ten day treatment plan, I developed vaginal bleeding. I not prone, nor have I ever experienced bleeding between periods. Dizziness, lack of ability to concentrate.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
July 27, 2012 6:25 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

cefuroxime for Sinusitis: This was prescribed to me for a sinus infection. After 5 days of use I felt no change in my condition. This medication did not work for me. My dosage was 2 tablets by mouth twice a day. Tablets were 500mg.

May 22, 2012 9:06 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Ceftin (cefuroxime) for Pneumonia: I was prescribed this after 3 days on a Azithromycin was making me worse. My doctor told me the Z-pack wasn't working because my bronchitis had become pneumonia. After 2 days on the Ceftin (250 mg, twice daily), I was really starting to improve. My cough had lessened, chest congestion had loosened nicely and my headache/stuffiness had started to subside. I also used a humidifier. Now, 4 days in and I'm feeling almost human. The cough is almost gone, I can breathe almost normally and am much improved. I have always heard the Z-pack knocks out almost everything, but I'm proof it's not a cure-all. One thing to note is that Ceftin can be rough on your stomach, so be sure to take it with food. Crackers, toast or yogurt should be fine.

January 2, 2012 9:08 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

cefuroxime for Sinusitis: I am a chronic sinusitis sufferer and normally I let it play out and my body will usually fight it off but every now and then I have to get antibiotics, usually once a year and twice on rare occasions. It usually takes anywhere from 5-7 Days before I get any relief well this time I went in because my tongue seemed cut and burning and throat was a little sore but I wasn't suffering from the normal sinus pressure and headaches but was told infection had spread to my ears and throat and was put on cefuroxime 500mg twice daily and though my tongue is still sore it seems to be healing ok and my throat and ears are no longer sore ears are plugged a bit though. I breathe better through my nose. I have not experienced the taste as my pills are coated.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 11, 2011 9:52 AM
Review by Geranium: User Rating:

Ceftin (cefuroxime) for Sinusitis: I had a sinus infection with fever (spiking higher at night); took me a while to figure out because I never had one before. Within a day of taking Ceftin, I no longer had a fever and felt much better. Had no problem taking the pill with water (unlike others); don't taste it at all. After 5 days, I still have thick mucus and less appetite than usual) but otherwise am doing much better than before. I notice no side effects from this medicine.

November 8, 2011 1:39 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Ceftin (cefuroxime): Ceftin has been more effective for me than penicillin, when it comes to infections. I have a very sensitive stomach and unlike most antibiotics Ceftin, does not cause me gastrointestinal upset. Be sure to take a probiotic in between doses of your antibiotic.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
July 4, 2011 3:01 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Ceftin (cefuroxime) for Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis: It quickly helped get rid of the infection in my throat BUT it is very hard to take. The taste of the pill is horrible and sticks around for a long time in the back of your throat. I used flavored yogurt to help counteract the flavor after I swallowed the pill. It also starts dissolving quickly so it tended to get stuck in my throat.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
June 10, 2011 3:55 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Ceftin (cefuroxime) for Sinusitis: The bitter taste made the pills almost impossible to take. Dipping them in honey really worked! Thanks so much for that tip.

February 26, 2011 8:00 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

cefuroxime for Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: I've used this and in 2-4 days it helps you greatly, and I have COPD.

February 24, 2011 12:26 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Ceftin (cefuroxime) for Lyme Disease: Experienced immediate relief from foggy brain, ended headaches and muscle and joint pain.

September 26, 2010 4:24 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Ceftin (cefuroxime) for Sinusitis: I was put on Ceftin for a sinus infection, 3 days later I developed terrible diarrhea with blood, found out it was called pseudomembraneous colitis. It is now a week later and I am still suffering from the side effects.

January 13, 2010 3:12 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Ceftin (cefuroxime) for Sinusitis: I have been dealing with bad breathe for about 1 year and been to my internal medicine doctor and my dentist and they said I was fine. I wasn't ok with this answer so I went to see an ENT doctor. He then prescribed me Ceftin 500 mg tablets to take twice a day with food. This is the miracle drug. I have only been taking it for 3 wks out of the 4wks I was prescribed the drug and can already tell a difference. I go back in 1 week to have a CT scan of my sinuses to see if the bacterial infection has cleared up. I would recommend this to anyone who is suffering with the symptoms it treats.

November 11, 2009 1:38 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

cefuroxime for Sinusitis: I went to the emergency room with a sinus infection on a Monday and picked up a bottle of Ceftin a few hours later. By the following Sunday, nothing had changed. I still had the aches, dizziness, and bouts of confusion and disorientation that had sent me to the hospital in the first place.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 1, 2009 6:51 PM

cefuroxime for Pneumonia: The 500 mg uncoated tablet is large and very difficult to swallow. Nasty taste! Wish it came in a slippery capsule. Since I just started with this medicine I don't know whether it will knock out the pneumonia which followed my H1N1 swine flu infection.

November 1, 2009 1:13 AM

Watch this video series to learn about managing severe allergies (anaphylaxis).