User Reviews for Cefdinir

Also known as: Omnicef, Omnicef Omni-Pac

Learn more about Cefdinir.

Cefdinir review summary

5.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 366 medications used in the treatment of Sinusitis.

Reviews for Cefdinir to treat Sinusitis

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Been taking this for five days. The pressure in my sinus is lessening, and my fever is gone, but mucus production has increased, and so now my cough is worse. Does this mean it's not working? The best way I've found to avoid the adverse digestive effects (vomiting, etc) is to take a strong probiotic to replenish what the antibiotic kills. You can ask your doctor for a prescription strength probiotic (they prescribe them for patients with ulcerative colitis) or find them in pill or drink form at a health food store.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 10, 2014 11:34 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Omnicef (cefdinir): Worked very well for severe sinus infection.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 8, 2014 3:50 PM

Review by Chelle913:

I am on Day 6 of this antibiotic. I am not a huge fan of antibiotics but my vertigo and head pressure from the sinus infection was enough to get me on them. For the first 2 days I had no vertigo and head pressure, but now I experience some of it on and off the day. So I use a Neti Pot to clear out sinuses. Two days ago I had Post Nasal Drip where I ended up throwing up mucus in the middle of the night. With my experience, I have noticed a loss of appetite and have lost about 5-6 pounds. If I do not take the capsule with food I will end up with heartburn. I am looking forward to being over with this (4 more days to go) I take a probiotic in between the doses for my digestion.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 5, 2014 8:39 PM

Review by eeggyy:

I was prescribed this medication for sinus infection and fluid in ear. I have on my charts that I am allergic to penicillin but not sure of reaction. So doctor said this has 1% of penicillin derivative. So I tried it! First 2 days sinus seemed to get better. Then 6, and 7th day I had horrible a headache, ear aches, facial skin burning, chills and sweats. I couldn't lift my head off pillow. Took myself off the medicine and next day I was feeling better. Still have a lot of congestion but the pain in my head is gone. I feel like my head was deflated. This has to be an allergy! I learned my lesson.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 14, 2014 5:42 PM

Review by wuzaromine (taken for 1 to 6 months):

My doctor prescribed for sinusitis. After finishing the first round I was still having problems and called the doctor. He called in another round of the same prescription which I finished a week ago. Still having the same problem and called today. He called in Omnicef again and I am not sure if I will even pick it up. I take the full prescription as prescribed.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 26, 2013 6:06 PM

Review by t.i.g:

Omnicef (cefdinir): Fantastic at clearing the sinus infection. I'm on day 4 and it's almost completely gone. The first two days were miraculous. But then. Starting day 3 ... My stomach and intestines are rumbling almost constantly and I'm "pooping" brown water 5+ times a day. I'm also utterly exhausted and weak, making it virtually impossible to actually do anything. If this gets much worse, I'm going to have to stop using this before the 10-day course runs out.

November 2, 2013 1:32 PM

Review by EFerrari (taken for less than 1 month):

I have been taking Cefdinir for three days now. The second day taking it I felt like I was getting better but the third I felt sick again. I was diagnosed with sinusitis and an ear infection. I did not have drainage in the back of my throat until I started taking this antibiotic. I'm hoping to feel better soon and hopefully Cefdinir works.

April 22, 2013 10:00 PM

Review by cindy635:

Went to Urgent Care for an upper respiratory infection. Cefdinir after 1 day helped with the respiratory problem but left with suffering with intolerable diarrhea. I'm taking probiotics and just had to take a Lomotil. No pain but just pure and simple constant running to the bathroom. I'm 70 years old and consider myself an athlete and very strong. Rarely sick but this has taken me down, I stopped the Cefdinir after 5 days. Could not take it anymore.

January 6, 2013 10:54 AM

Review by Gonzo29:

Doctor put me on this medicine for first time for a sinus infection. First day seem better. Second day all symptoms returned painful headache fever and chills. On seventh day went back to doctors, told her medicine wasn't working. She is running a TB test. Chest X-rays. Blood work and HIV test. Also changed to amoxicillin, it always worked before. Stopped taking cefdinir and already feeling better.

June 6, 2012 3:25 PM

This medicine worked great for the first few days. I had a very bad sinus infection along with a double ear infection. After a few days I developed horrible diarrhea!

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 22, 2012 3:59 PM

Review by surgery bound:

Omnicef (cefdinir): Today is day 6 of this medicine and it just isn't working. I would have thought that I would have some kind of relief by now, but not.

January 9, 2012 9:33 AM

Had to stop taking after 48 hours - Severe diarrhea and near total inability to urinate. Took three days after discontinuing for diarrhea to subside. Difficulty urinating persists after one week.

May 10, 2011 12:46 PM

Omnicef (cefdinir): 300mg 2 x day for 7 days prescribed for Sinusitis. I think I may have felt like I was getting slightly better the 2nd and 3rd day but after that it went back to the same as before. No adverse side effects, just didn't seem to work.

March 25, 2011 2:10 PM

Review by iwantsomestrange:

Omnicef Omni-Pac (cefdinir): Side effects hit me so hard and fast that I had to stop taking the medicine after half a day.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 22, 2011 3:06 AM

Omnicef (cefdinir): I've only been on it 2 days, but so far so good! I feel much better, cough is gone, and no side effects. Will use again if I need it.

December 21, 2010 9:46 PM

Review by EmmiB-G:

Omnicef (cefdinir): I have taken many, many times for my chronic sinus infections and it seems to be the only thing that ever gets rid of the infection. I do get stomach aches from it, and nausea but it does what it's supposed to.

August 5, 2010 1:07 PM

Review by mayte123:

Omnicef (cefdinir): This antibiotic was the best for my sinus infection.

June 20, 2010 3:13 AM

Review by feellikecrap:

I am on day 7 of this antibiotic for a sinus infection. While my symptoms have all but gone, I still have to keep taking it of course. I noticed a couple of days ago that I was feeling "funny" approximately 2 hours after taking the medicine. It wasn't like that at first but now I have body aches, headache, chills...kind of reminds me of the flu.

May 19, 2010 11:49 AM

As an adult, I was prescribed this medicine for sinusitis and Otis media (fluid in my inner ear) for 10 days. I went back to the doctor to have my ear checked and still had fluid in my ears. After only 3 or 4 days off the medicine, I became worse, went back to the doctor again who prescribed another 14 days on this medication along with 9 days of Prednisone. I still have a middle ear infection.

January 30, 2010 11:09 AM

Review by Cefdinir's no friend of mine:

I was prescribed Cefdinir after getting a sinus infection and bronchitis. It solved that problem in just a few days, but after 3 days on it, my diarrhea became intolerable, far worse than the original sickness. I stopped taking Cefdinir. It's been over 3 weeks now of non-stop gastrointestinal pain that landed me an clonoscopy procedure, stool cultures at the hospital, and persistent diarrhea. The worst of which culminated in a near black out from pain on the toilet. My case may have been a rare exception but I'm certain Cefdinir is no friend of mine.

November 9, 2009 4:40 PM

Review by Aallis:

Cefdinir did what no other antibiotic did as for getting rid of certain problems that I had for years. However I had severe cramping and diarrhea with this medicine and had to quit taking it. I feel like, if the doctors know something about this medicine, besides popping 2 a day, he or she should tell you. A person has to look on the internet how to take medicines in order to keep down the side effects. And if my doctor told me it would be better to take Cefdinir on a full stomach and eat yogurt everyday, maybe the side effects would have been much less. And he knows how sensitive I am to medicines.

August 1, 2009 7:28 AM

Omnicef (cefdinir): I have only taken 2 doses so far. It seems to be working and I don't have all the side effects. I will use it again.

April 10, 2009 5:34 PM

Review by jhharman1:

Omnicef (cefdinir): Omnicef was effective in treating my daughter's sinusitis. However, she broke out in hives a day after finishing the medication. Although it is not certain the medicine caused her hives, it is very ironic that they broke out within 24 hours of finishing the antibiotic.

April 10, 2009 2:03 PM

Well after my first pill I already felt better sinus-wise, but I had an allergic reaction and broke out in a red rash all over my face that spread to more of my body. Be careful if you are allergic to penicillin. You may also be allergic to this medication

February 17, 2009 1:47 PM

Omnicef (cefdinir): This medicine works very well. I didn't have a yeast infection nor did I have the upset stomach, which I usually have with antibiotics.

October 28, 2008 6:57 PM