User Reviews for Carvedilol

Also known as: Coreg, Coreg CR

Learn more about Carvedilol.

Carvedilol Review Summary

5.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 226 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Carvedilol to treat High Blood Pressure

"terrible body pain, fatigue, constant urinating and shortness of breath. This is a terrible medicine. It should be taken off of the market. My insurance only covered the generic."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 31, 2015

"I was put on coreg 25 mg 2 daily after a heart stent. Day by day I felt worse. I was very short of breath and my abdomin starting bloating and felt a lot of pressure in my abdomin especially about 4 hours after taking the coreg. Called the cardiologist told them my concerns and told them I thought it was my meds, they said no that it was not the meds to call my PCP. The symptoms got so severe I ended up in the ER and after a CT scan and blood work I was told it was the coreg making me feel this way. Just a horrible med for me. Doctors need to listen to their patients."

Saunttescue (taken for less than 1 month) November 16, 2014

"I've been on carvedilol for 6 months, in conjunction with lisinopril, and it has worked well on lowering my blood pressure, where the lisinopril alone was barely fazing it. With no medicines my pressure was running around 200s/120s, on lisinopril alone it was only coming down to 180s/100s. Since being on carvedilol, it runs (in my opinion) a almost too low, around 90s to low 100s over 50s. This doesn't bother me so much, but occasionally, and for no reason I determine, it will either spike or plummet. It has been as high as 180/98 and as low as 86/38. THAT was scary. I also have nausea, dizziness upon standing or moving very suddenly, and nearly disabling headaches. I like what it does for my blood pressure, but not how it makes me feel."

Mrs C. (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 20, 2014

"The lowest dose of Carvedilol 2 times per day was effective in lowering my moderately high blood pressure almost immediately (170/90 that shoots higher under stress). However, it has lowered my blood pressure too low when inactive (100/70 ave.). Sometimes when I sit still or wake up from sleep in the middle of the night or in morning I have a random moment of anxiety followed by extreme dizziness, disorientation and nausea that lasts a good period of time, sometimes 2-3 hours. Before I had a stress test & was cleared as 'perfect' this scared me terribly and my blood pressure would shoot up to 180 /100 . Sometimes after taking I'm drowsy but I'm exhausted from dealing with this and trying to continue with life. Hoping to get off of it asap, effective but horrible side effects."

KaycieD (taken for less than 1 month) April 20, 2014

"I've been taking carvedilol for three months, it works really good for my extremely high blood pressure. I have experienced rapid weight gain, but I can't be completely sure if the carvedilol is the blame as I am on other medications. It causes sudden dizziness even without standing up to quickly . I'm going to try something else because of the rapid weight gain and out of no where dizziness. I gave it a 7 rating because it works well with lowering my stubborn high blood pressure."

Sis363 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 29, 2014

"Since being put on 6 months ago (severe, resistant hypertension), along with diet and exercise, I have lost 60 lbs and my heart rate is usually in the mid -40s to low 50s when and complete rest (evenings) and in the high 50s - low 60s during the day. I have experienced no negative side effects. Drowsiness was present for the first week or two, but after that I adjusted and feel no side effects. Most important thing - if you are doing aerobic exercise while on this medication, DO NOT USE A HEART MONITOR as it does reduce heart rate. Normal heart rate ranges while on this medication to not apply and can cause damage if you attempt to the normal 180bpm. Consult a physician for activity restrictions while taking Carvedilol."

Young-in (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 13, 2014

"I had been put on carvedilol along with valsartan 160/25. It worked for blood pressure, however my cardiologist advised me that it was a significant contributor to my erectile dysfunction. After various trials in dosage, we eliminated carvedilol altogether and went to Bystolic with good BP results and no erectile dysfunction complications. Carvedilol may be good for those with actual heart problems, but just for control of BP, we found a great substitute without all the side effects."

cachef1 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 8, 2013

Coreg (carvedilol): "I have had great results with Coreg . My blood pressure was high and heart rate and now my pressure is normal and heart rate is much slower."

JerryDhutch March 8, 2013

"After being on atenolol for about 30 years, switching to carvedilol was a vast improvement. My heart does not seem to be working as hard. No side effects that I can notice so far."

OR_Nightingale (taken for less than 1 month) February 19, 2013

Coreg (carvedilol): "I have been taking Cozaar 50 mg a day combined with Coreg 25 mg 2x daily for about 10 years. My blood pressure was 200/120. About 2 years ago Coreg CR 20mg replaced the Coreg daily. This regimen slowly reduced my BP to 100/60. This BP was too low so I stopped the Coreg CR completely. I am now on Cozaar 50 mg 1 per day and my BP is averaging 125/60-70."

Bill three (taken for 10 years or more) January 14, 2013

Coreg (carvedilol): "After only a few weeks this medicine has caused debilitating joint pain in my ankles, knees, wrists and hips. I find it difficult to even get out of bed or feed myself on this medicine. "

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 14, 2012

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was on this for a month. I also have COPD. I have been getting weak, couldn't walk farther than a few steps without having to rest and totally exhausted about an hour after taking this medicine. Dr. thought my COPD was getting worse but couldn't control it. I remembered I started feeling this way right after being switched from Metoprolol to this medicine. I refused to take it again and after missing two doses, I can breath and walk again. Back on Metoprolol."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 6, 2012

"I have been on carvedilol taking 12.5 mg. 4 x a day for over one year. It lowered my blood pressure but my feet and ankles have severe swelling no matter what kind of shoes I wear and my toes feel tingly most of the time. I wonder if this is a side effect of this medicine. I also started ExForge about the same time. It is difficult to walk for more than 30 min. I am 66 yrs. old and a female."

marianne1927 (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 2, 2012

"Headaches, dizziness, and nausea so bad I want to stay in bed but can't because I also have trouble breathing after I take it."

this drug is poison March 13, 2012

Coreg (carvedilol): "Works well but does not mix well with hydrochlorothiazide (water pill). Causes blood pressure to decrease too much."

Anonymous February 15, 2012

"Cardio Dr reduced original RX to 1 6.25mg tab per day. Second day resulted in so many problems I concidered calling the paramedics. It was so bad I could not even think to call 911. Totally stopped it and had two episodes of weird Dreams that interrupted sleep."

Anonymous January 24, 2012

Coreg (carvedilol): "6.25mg of this product 2 X daily, reduced my 160/120 BP to 120/78 in two days."

Anonymous December 31, 2011

Coreg (carvedilol): "Did not work for my moderately high blood pressure."

Anonymous September 26, 2011

Coreg (carvedilol): "I have used this drug since developing CHF on the operating table in 2001 and I am still alive and feel pretty good. I am 75 years old now."

Anonymous June 17, 2011

"This medicine gave me headaches and doctor said it did not work to lower my blood pressure. At the office I am 125/100. At home, I am usually 120/80 or lower. Can this be white coat syndrome? Anyway doctor is switching me to another medicine. This next medicine will be my 6th blood pressure medicine."

Anonymous March 28, 2011

"Well I'm 34 yrs old and been fighting with my blood pressure for about three years now. Partially because I was in denial about my condition and didn't want to take any medication. Well I started having headaches and chest pain and I needed to take something. My doctor put me on metoprolol 25mg and it kept my blood pressure down to a normal level but the side effects I couldn't take. Headaches, bad abdominal pains. I had to switch to something else. I've been on carvedilol 6.25mg for two days and I think its starting to work. I had pains in my chest and neck for about a week and its starting to slowly go away. If you smoke it's a bad idea to do it while on this medicine. I smoked for 14 yrs and this medicine forced me to stop and I'm thankful and healthier."

mmikah January 15, 2011

Coreg (carvedilol): "I have been taking this since my heart attack in March 2010. I have had leg muscle issues (pain) since the beginning. My doctor seems to think the benefit is greater than the pain. I disagree and am about to stop it no matter what my doctor says."

Road Hog November 17, 2010

Coreg (carvedilol): "12.5 mg 2 x a day. Had headaches and numbness in fingers. Some swelling in lower legs. Blood pressure dropped only 4 points. Doctor switched medicine after 3 months."

Anonymous September 17, 2010

Coreg (carvedilol): "Caused extreme fatigue"

Anonymous January 31, 2010

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Coreg (carvedilol): "This Medicine had no affect on my HBP. I previously took Lisinopril, but needed to change medicines for another reason. My BP went very high (160/110) even after taking this medicine for 7 days and I had to be changed to another medicine."

Anonymous December 8, 2009