User Reviews for Carvedilol

Also known as: Coreg, Coreg CR

Learn more about Carvedilol.

Carvedilol review summary

5.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 260 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Carvedilol to treat High Blood Pressure

Review by Sis363 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

carvedilol: I've been taking carvedilol for three months, it works really good for my extremely high blood pressure. I have experienced rapid weight gain, but I can't be completely sure if the carvedilol is the blame as I am on other medications. It causes sudden dizziness even without standing up to quickly . I'm going to try something else because of the rapid weight gain and out of no where dizziness. I gave it a 7 rating because it works well with lowering my stubborn high blood pressure.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 29, 2014 11:33 AM
Review by Young-in (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

carvedilol: Since being put on 6 months ago (severe, resistant hypertension), along with diet and exercise, I have lost 60 lbs and my heart rate is usually in the mid -40s to low 50s when and complete rest (evenings) and in the high 50s - low 60s during the day. I have experienced no negative side effects. Drowsiness was present for the first week or two, but after that I adjusted and feel no side effects. Most important thing - if you are doing aerobic exercise while on this medication, DO NOT USE A HEART MONITOR as it does reduce heart rate. Normal heart rate ranges while on this medication to not apply and can cause damage if you attempt to the normal 180bpm. Consult a physician for activity restrictions while taking Carvedilol.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 13, 2014 7:40 AM
Review by cachef1 (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

carvedilol: I had been put on carvedilol along with valsartan 160/25. It worked for blood pressure, however my cardiologist advised me that it was a significant contributor to my erectile dysfunction. After various trials in dosage, we eliminated carvedilol altogether and went to Bystolic with good BP results and no erectile dysfunction complications. Carvedilol may be good for those with actual heart problems, but just for control of BP, we found a great substitute without all the side effects.

July 8, 2013 9:31 PM
Review by JerryDhutch: User Rating:

Coreg (carvedilol): I have had great results with Coreg . My blood pressure was high and heart rate and now my pressure is normal and heart rate is much slower.

March 8, 2013 7:35 AM
Review by OR_Nightingale (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

carvedilol: After being on atenolol for about 30 years, switching to carvedilol was a vast improvement. My heart does not seem to be working as hard. No side effects that I can notice so far.

February 19, 2013 4:19 PM
Review by Bill three (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

Coreg (carvedilol): I have been taking Cozaar 50 mg a day combined with Coreg 25 mg 2x daily for about 10 years. My blood pressure was 200/120. About 2 years ago Coreg CR 20mg replaced the Coreg daily. This regimen slowly reduced my BP to 100/60. This BP was too low so I stopped the Coreg CR completely. I am now on Cozaar 50 mg 1 per day and my BP is averaging 125/60-70.

January 14, 2013 2:09 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Coreg (carvedilol): After only a few weeks this medicine has caused debilitating joint pain in my ankles, knees, wrists and hips. I find it difficult to even get out of bed or feed myself on this medicine.

August 14, 2012 3:45 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

carvedilol: I was on this for a month. I also have COPD. I have been getting weak, couldn't walk farther than a few steps without having to rest and totally exhausted about an hour after taking this medicine. Dr. thought my COPD was getting worse but couldn't control it. I remembered I started feeling this way right after being switched from Metoprolol to this medicine. I refused to take it again and after missing two doses, I can breath and walk again. Back on Metoprolol.

June 6, 2012 1:13 PM
Review by marianne1927 (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

carvedilol: I have been on carvedilol taking 12.5 mg. 4 x a day for over one year. It lowered my blood pressure but my feet and ankles have severe swelling no matter what kind of shoes I wear and my toes feel tingly most of the time. I wonder if this is a side effect of this medicine. I also started ExForge about the same time. It is difficult to walk for more than 30 min. I am 66 yrs. old and a female.

June 2, 2012 10:07 PM
Review by this drug is poison: User Rating:

carvedilol: Headaches, dizziness, and nausea so bad I want to stay in bed but can't because I also have trouble breathing after I take it.

March 13, 2012 9:41 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Coreg (carvedilol): Works well but does not mix well with hydrochlorothiazide (water pill). Causes blood pressure to decrease too much.

February 15, 2012 11:01 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

carvedilol: Cardio Dr reduced original RX to 1 6.25mg tab per day. Second day resulted in so many problems I concidered calling the paramedics. It was so bad I could not even think to call 911. Totally stopped it and had two episodes of weird Dreams that interrupted sleep.

January 24, 2012 12:56 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Coreg (carvedilol): 6.25mg of this product 2 X daily, reduced my 160/120 BP to 120/78 in two days.

December 31, 2011 2:56 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Coreg (carvedilol): Did not work for my moderately high blood pressure.

September 26, 2011 10:28 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Coreg (carvedilol): I have used this drug since developing CHF on the operating table in 2001 and I am still alive and feel pretty good. I am 75 years old now.

June 17, 2011 5:01 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

carvedilol: This medicine gave me headaches and doctor said it did not work to lower my blood pressure. At the office I am 125/100. At home, I am usually 120/80 or lower. Can this be white coat syndrome? Anyway doctor is switching me to another medicine. This next medicine will be my 6th blood pressure medicine.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 28, 2011 9:39 AM
Review by mmikah: User Rating:

carvedilol: Well I'm 34 yrs old and been fighting with my blood pressure for about three years now. Partially because I was in denial about my condition and didn't want to take any medication. Well I started having headaches and chest pain and I needed to take something. My doctor put me on metoprolol 25mg and it kept my blood pressure down to a normal level but the side effects I couldn't take. Headaches, bad abdominal pains. I had to switch to something else. I've been on carvedilol 6.25mg for two days and I think its starting to work. I had pains in my chest and neck for about a week and its starting to slowly go away. If you smoke it's a bad idea to do it while on this medicine. I smoked for 14 yrs and this medicine forced me to stop and I'm thankful and healthier.

January 15, 2011 10:52 PM
Review by Road Hog: User Rating:

Coreg (carvedilol): I have been taking this since my heart attack in March 2010. I have had leg muscle issues (pain) since the beginning. My doctor seems to think the benefit is greater than the pain. I disagree and am about to stop it no matter what my doctor says.

November 17, 2010 11:00 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Coreg (carvedilol): 12.5 mg 2 x a day. Had headaches and numbness in fingers. Some swelling in lower legs. Blood pressure dropped only 4 points. Doctor switched medicine after 3 months.

September 17, 2010 5:45 PM

Coreg (carvedilol): Caused extreme fatigue

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 31, 2010 7:07 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Coreg (carvedilol): This Medicine had no affect on my HBP. I previously took Lisinopril, but needed to change medicines for another reason. My BP went very high (160/110) even after taking this medicine for 7 days and I had to be changed to another medicine.

December 8, 2009 10:06 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Coreg (carvedilol): I have had very little side effects. I am at my third increase in dosage and am at 12.5mg. I wished it had been more effective at the lower dose.

September 24, 2009 10:53 PM
Review by Lettie 44: User Rating:

Coreg CR (carvedilol): Blood pressure never went below 176/110, even with atenolol. Using Coreg 80 and Exforge, BP 100/76, exercise 3 to 4 four time a week and feel very healthy. No side effects.

May 21, 2009 1:23 PM
Review by dad64: User Rating:

Coreg CR (carvedilol): Switched from Atenolol after many years due to usual beta blocker problems (tiredness, etc) and blood pressure wouldn't stay down long, tightness in chest and breathlessness. After 3 months on Coreg CR, tightness in chest much better, breathlessness no change, blood pressure stays down all day, but is 147/91 at night and in the morning. It is 113/57 two hours after medication, but I am also taking Isosorbide ER at the same time, which also lowers blood pressure as a side effect. Coreg CR is much more expensive, but I would rather take this anytime compared to Atenolol. Also beware of mixing these with Nasonex (no matter what they say) and any cold decongestants with phenylephrine. They will increase blood pressure.

April 6, 2009 12:16 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Coreg (carvedilol): I am tired and dizzy with this medicine.

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 31, 2009 1:43 PM