User Reviews for Soma

Learn more about Soma.

Soma Review Summary

9.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 36 medications used in the treatment of Muscle Spasm.

Reviews for Soma to treat Muscle Spasm

"I have severe lower back sciatica problems especially on right side, and effects inner right leg. I have been on numerous medications with no relief from pain. But some which if I need only take at night and only take as needed. Yes I have been on this medication off and on for yrs because Kaiser will not cover then then do. So when they don't I have to try something else which as of right now has not helped with pain. Yes sometime I have slight lightheaded. But never severe. And with this medication I get to sleep and wake up usually so much better. But once again Kaiser as of July 2015 I was told will not cover and Drs can not prescribe. So once again I need to try other meds."

LaLoca64 July 28, 2015

"I've had muscle spasms in my back for 10+ yrs tried skelaxin, robaxin, flexeral, and norflex and they all barely helped but the soma helped tremendously!!!"

Dubsy July 21, 2015

"This med is flat out dangerous..I'm prescribed Xanax 1mg three times daily. DO NOT MIX THESE TWO..I was on both carisoprodol and Xanax and I had not 1 but 2 overdoses accidentally - not on purpose. I literally was airlifted to two different hospitals within a month and a half. This is a great medication for its intended purpose however it is extremely addicting. It should be labeled schedule 2 in my opinion as to the danger this medication holds when taken with another CNS..I also suffer from panic disorder and anxiety."

Ndawg669 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 4, 2015

"I have experienced severe pain and muscle spasms in my back for 35 years. Soma along with my narcotic analgesics have been a godsend. Soma helps me relax and sleep and start to work fairly quickly. I take 4 a day."

lucky123987 May 3, 2015

"I have severe back pain due to an injury and the hundreds of bone marrow aspirates because of my leukemia. After many drugs (more than a dozen combinations). I find Soma to be excellent at relieving the muscle spasms, pain, and it also releaves anxiety similar to benzos and helps me sleep like no other medicine. I also take OxyContin with it and that is what keeps me stable and going throughout the day."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 20, 2015

"Good"

Namaste11 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 13, 2015

"This medication has worked wonders for my hip/skeleton pain. I need to get back on them."

MandaBeautyMark March 8, 2015

"This medication helps with my muscle cramping and helps me relax at night so I can sleep."

duttlinj January 29, 2015

"From my experience, I have never had anything that works so well for my lower back pain. It is almost impossible to sleep at night without them. My doctor was hesitant to prescribe them, but after he did I was able to cut my pain killer daily dosage in half. I think the doc's should stick to what is proven to work."

que no (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 8, 2014

"Works good for muscle spasms and helps you to relax enough to sleep when in bad pain."

Peanutsmom4 October 19, 2014

"Due to having AML (leukemia) and having hundreds of bone marrows aspirates done, I now have to take Soma due to lower back pain."

flowerchild1976 September 18, 2014

"The only muscle relaxer to work for me. No one wants to prescribe it anymore, however."

JazzyW1 September 4, 2014

"I have suffered from many ailments in the past few years one of which was sliding on black ice while working hitting my neck and back on a metal step to my bucket truck. The muscle spasms I get are just awful...muscles twisting and foot looks deformed when it happens. Soma is the only medication that gives any kind of relief...I take it sparingly as not to become dependent upon it. It does make you drowsy...but I would rather be somewhat drowsy than be in that horrible pain."

cathie143 August 6, 2014

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I've tried every kind of muscle relaxer from A-Z out there and Soma is the only one that has worked for me. I take it twice a day with my pain meds and have had no side effects from it at all. I have spinal stenosis and suffer from pain all day every day and its so nice to have a little relief. "

myaeger (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 18, 2014

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Love it, it helps ease my severe neck pain, haven't had any side effects yet."

oldstinkyfisherman (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 13, 2014

"I just recently had a lumbar fusion but have had back problems for the past 5 years. The Dr would prescribe Flexeril but it wouldn't help and made my heart race. So my surgeon put me on Soma and it works tremendously. Makes me a little drowsy but functional."

doart84 July 5, 2014

"I was very nervous to take Soma after doing some research on it. I decided to take it after being in terrible pain, I was surprised that when I woke up in the morning I could function with little pain. I decided to take 1/2 a pill instead at night and I have had great results. Soma works better than the narcotics do especially at night. If they could just make it non-drowsy it would be the perfect medicine."

cautious but in pain April 17, 2014

"I am 72 and have used Soma 3 times a day for 3 years. My pain specialist is reluctant to prescribe but understands that I have tried everything else for chronic intractable muscle spasm related to scoliosis, degenerative disc disease and fibromyalgia. This has worked for me since I was 30 years old dealing with my first herniated disc. I have recently had a spinal nerve stimulator implant and although I seldom have the pain from the pressure on the sciatic nerve I do have considerable pain from muscle spasm. It is the ONLY relaxant that has ever worked for me."

Alice Mabe (taken for 10 years or more) January 5, 2014

123 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have taken soma for at least 5 years and all of a sudden my new doctor took me off and put me on flexril, it does not work at all nothing like soma to let me sleep through the night without hopping up with muscles cramps. I have had back surgury 3 times and have nerve damage that will not heal, soma helps in many ways relaxation helps me sleep and no muscle cramps hope my doctor will see fit to put me back on them I hurt so much."

cuff October 29, 2013

96 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Have taken Flexeril, then Parafon, then, bachlofen, then norflex, then robaxin, then finally My New Doctor I am seeing, asked if I had ever tried Soma 350 and I Said no, So He Put Me on the soma one tablet three times a day and one tablet every night at bed-time, and the pain in my back as seen improvement, My left Leg and My left foot, I have a sprained disc in my back plus moderate scoliosis, then he also wanted me to try the Zanaflex Capsules alternating with the soma, and between those two items, the pain that was in my back, my left leg and left foot started to feel much better even when I was a work while taking those two items alternating, a little drowsiness but not overly sleepy."

sierramountain October 24, 2013

"I was on Soma for over 10 years and it has always been my favorite muscle relaxer. I have had severe debilitating migraines my entire life, and a roll over only made it worse along with my neck and back, which have been progressively getting worse over the years. I was taken off about a year ago. However I am posting this for those who can't get it anymore to say Lorzone (chloroxozone) works extremely well on pain. It is the ONLY other medication - and I have tried them ALL over the years, that seems to work for my neck, back and shoulder pain. Name brand is extremely expensive even with insurance - it may need to be prescribed under the generic name."

GermanShepherdGirl (taken for 10 years or more) October 23, 2013

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"So helpful and I have never had a bad side effect."

nurs October 12, 2013

"Was prescribed for severe muscle spasms. Took for years without any problems. VA has stopped prescribing. Tried flexeril without nearly the same results and bad urinary side effects. Going to try Robaxin next. I really wish VA would bring back Soma as so far it's the only thing that allows me to function somewhat normally. I'll continue to try other meds that VA suggests, but to this point only Soma has done the trick."

Optional (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 30, 2013

"Very good muscle relaxer. I've tried the others and they don't work. Can't drive while taking but can't drive with muscle spasms either. I really like this medcine, it works great and almost no side effects/ Does make me a bit sleepy."

CatsAreGreat July 4, 2013

"I was on Soma for years and had no problem with it. My doctor took my off of it and no other medicine works as well. I am going to another doctor to try to get back on it."

Fallingtears001 June 5, 2013