User Reviews for Tegretol XR

Learn more about Tegretol XR.

Tegretol XR review summary

8.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 9 medications used in the treatment of Trigeminal Neuralgia.

Reviews for Tegretol XR to treat Trigeminal Neuralgia

Review by missbones (taken for less than 1 month):

I have been on Tegretol XR for about 3 weeks now for Trigeminal Neuralgia. I take 100 mg 2x a day. It took like two days for it to work. I only start to have pain from the attacks when I'm due for my next dose. And it's not nearly as bad. The only problem is that I'm already on pregabalin for fibromyalgia, so the Tegretol added makes me totally out of it. I can't remember things, I'm double drowsy all day, I zone out, and I don't like that it has negative interactions with about 500 medications including Tylenol, which I usually take for breakthrough pain because ibuprofen doesn't work on me. So overall, it helps but I really hope I don't have to take this for a long period of time.

January 12, 2014 2:44 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

It took me 2 years to be diagnosed and as soon as I began taking Tegretol I began feeling less pain. I take 600 mg daily. I was taking 800mg but the nausea was too much. If I ever miss a pill I will begin to have pain but while taking it I am almost 100%.

November 12, 2012 2:45 PM

It worked OK but had a dramatic effect on my mental capacities. I was in the aircraft business and it got to the point where I felt I was becoming a danger to my customers and myself because of my inability to remember. The day I couldn't recall my favorite grandson's name was the day I quit taking it. I underwent a radiological procedure (gamma knife surgery) at UAMS in Little Rock, that cured the problem. I only have a mild flare up occasionally but it's nothing to what I used to suffer and is usually short-lived. I would recommend this procedure to anyone. It's painless and effective and was a God send to me.

March 12, 2012 11:30 AM

Review by painful43:

Totally relieved trigeminal pain - pain was non-existent. However I also turned up allergic so treatment stopped.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 1, 2012 8:27 PM

Review by MarionIndiana:

After first two years of trigeminal neuralgia without drugs I finally gave in and began Tegretol XR at only 200MG a day. It halved my pain and made "life livable" again... dragging my feet on asking for an upped dosage since I fear it may lose its effectiveness.

January 29, 2012 8:57 PM

After being on regular Tegretol for about a year in combination with Neurontin, my Neuro changed it to the Tegretol XR with fantastic results. I have been taking this for about 2 years now and other than the annoying side effects and occasional breakthrough pain I am very happy. Be warned though that the new generic of Tegretol XR may not be as effective as the name brand. When the generic came out my insurance automatically switched me and they didn't work near as well and I was having a lot of breakthrough pain. My Dr had to make a request to my insurance for the name brand and thankfully they approved it.

November 27, 2011 12:37 PM

This is working wonders for me. Started helping me a few days after taking it.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 16, 2010 12:41 AM

Review by Dije:

Worked wonders for me for 25 years and slowly stopped being so effective. It is AMAZING for face pain. I took 600 mg for 24 years and then upped to 1000 daily until it became time to change. Still looking for something new.

September 22, 2009 5:25 PM

I have constant pain in my neck, scalp, left thumb. Tegretol helped but compromised my bone marrow. Be sure to have to have CBC blood work regularly.

July 4, 2009 7:14 PM

Although the side effects can be very difficult to deal with but the pain of Trigeminal neuralgia is far far worse. This last attack that I had with the disorder put me to my knees begging to die so I started my Tegretol once again and now 6 days into it no pain at all. I am very nauseated and extremely dizzy but I will take the side effects over the pain any day of the week.

March 8, 2009 7:41 AM