User Reviews for Tegretol

Learn more about Tegretol.

Tegretol review summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

Compare all 64 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Tegretol to treat Bipolar Disorder

Review by yayo53 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Most effective medicine for bipolar disorder, at least for me.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 4, 2014 3:48 PM

Review by rscudder (taken for 1 to 6 months):

This medication is saving my life! It really stabilizes my mood. Before I started taking carbamazepine I would experience horribly crippling depression in the afternoons combined with very strong urges to self medicate with alcohol or narcotics. Now I feel about the same all day, never really up and never really down. I have no conflicts taking it with Suboxone. I have only noticed two side effects: nausea, taking it with food fixes that, and increased sleep. I sleep longer than I did before and wake up feeling tired. Actually it helps me to sleep through the night, which isn't all bad. After I get up, take my other medicines, and have some coffee I am ready to face the day. Note: I was previously misdiagnosed with major depression.

May 18, 2014 4:48 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

I only took this 1 1/2 days because I had a severe bad reaction physically, but the second evening I was on it I felt so calm, peaceful, and happy, that I didn't even want to fall asleep knowing it would be gone in the morning. I would've given it a 10 if not the physical reaction. I really recommend trying this mood stabilizer for anyone with bipolar and it works in just a couple of days. I was just an unlucky one, again.

March 7, 2014 2:03 PM

Review by Crazilysweet:

I have been taking Tegretol for a couple of years and it really helps with my bipolar. I can notice a big difference compared to if I'm not taking it. I just don't like how it makes my head and tongue feel numb, but it's a small price to pay.

March 1, 2014 10:28 AM

Review by Bipolar?:

Thought I would share my experiences on "Tegretol" too. I have been on Tegretol for 3 days now and can tell a HUUUGE difference! I have not been given the "full blown" Bipolar diagnose yet, I think this will need some more in depth conversations with my psychiatrist. Well yes I was given Tegretol as a mood stabilizer on Wednesday. I took the first 100mg before I went to sleep. The next morning I didn't really feel any different, it was maybe in the evening or the afternoon that I noticed an improvement. I was a lot calmer, my thoughts were gathered, this has been the case until this day. I will ask my psychiatrist to up the dosage of Tegretol but it's early days yet. All in all I love this medication.

January 26, 2014 10:15 AM

Review by Wolfie Kins:

I have been on this medicine since late September of this year (2013). I was on Abilify since I was 7 years old. I am now 21. I have gone from being a stick figure to a 254 pound blowfish and I'm 5.9". Since being on Tegretol. I have lost over 20 pounds and am eating less and am more on average scale of what a human being should be consuming on a daily basis. I love this medicine. It helps me think clearly meaning I am much more calm and stabilized with my bi-polar. The ONLY complaint I have is I am constantly having heat-flashes. I am male by the way. I have asked many different psychiatrists, pharmacy, and my PCP about it. None have ever found that to be part of the side effects. I rather deal with this then major weight gain from Abilify.

December 19, 2013 6:12 PM

Review by Zara91 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Loved Tegretol, kept my moods stable, worked well, felt calm and happy and in control for the first time in years, Until a Dr decided it was ok to mix this with antibiotics along with the pill, and sinus medication, I suffered from TENS, after being told 3 times it couldn't be that I was so suck ended up in hospital for 2 months. Now I remain untreated due to fear, however, what works or some doesn't work for others. This worked for me until my body decided I was allergic to it and everything else. Please be mindful of what you take any medication with!

January 22, 2013 9:02 AM

Review by Taylor T. (taken for less than 1 month):

Caused me to be very drowsy all of the time, sleeping about 16 hours every night and I developed an itchy rash of red pimple-like bumps on my scalp and neckline and middle of my back after taking it for a few days.

October 24, 2012 7:42 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

I found Tegretol amazing. It made me so calm and stable even after a few days, the only issue with it is it makes me very drowsy and a little disorientated. That's the one side effect I've noticed. So if you drive a lot or operate heavy machinery or are a surgeon this is not the medication for you. Otherwise it is a great mood stabilizer.

September 7, 2012 11:43 AM

Started taking this medicine about two months ago, after the Lamictal-induced sickness wore off. Up to 400mg now and I think I need a higher dosage as have been manic for a couple of weeks now. But it started to work straight away, and no side effects except for my third day of taking them when I started to get a little confused. Was okay the next day though!

February 18, 2012 9:14 AM

Review by MissyC:

I had a horrible experience after being prescribed Tegretol while in the hospital to treat my bipolar disorder. Within a few days of starting it, I began experiencing the shaking, nausea, etc. but the worst was the extreme anger/irritability I started experiencing. It got to the point that I would have horrible rages and felt like I was completely losing control. I kept asking my doctor to take me off the Tegretol, but he wouldn't. During one of these rages, I ended up fracturing my wrist because I hit a door so hard. After that, he agreed to take me off of it. After talking to other patients, I found out that a lot of them had similar experiences with this uncontrollable anger.

October 12, 2011 1:11 AM

Review by Tdogg:

I just started taking Tegretol on June 3 for mood stability. Also prescribed Celexa on same day. I also take Methadone 10mg 4x a day for chronic pain management for last 10 yrs. I love how it makes me feel and it's very hard for me to get angry BUT, it interferes with the methadone. At first nothing except feeling drunk for the first 4-5 days. Then it started. Withdrawal symptoms, increased pain, restlessness, insomnia, fatigue and nausea. Not sure if I can continue treatment but will find out on June 24 after my doctors appointment. Also taking meloxicam. Will let everyone know my results Friday afternoon.

June 20, 2011 9:24 PM

I had a very good experience on Tegretol. I had no side effects and was feeling better within three days. On top of stabilizing my moods it also reduced my fibromyalgia pain by a good 90% (which also helped my mood a lot). The only reason I stopped taking it is because I'm working on becoming pregnant and it does have some nasty side effects there. The new medicines I'm on don't work quite as well and I plan to go back on Tegretol as soon as I have a child.

June 14, 2011 8:46 AM

Review by WWM:

Well, I would say that the side effects, when you stop talking is like so. I feel like I'm shivering inside, one of the worst feeling in the world. So bad that if I miss a dose, I'm waiting at the Pharmacy before its open. I suggest that one doesn't miss a dose.

October 29, 2010 8:06 AM

Review by jmsneptuneonfire:

Tegretol has slowed the rapid cycling I was experiencing with bipolar. I have noticed improved mood. I currently take a large dose, so I experience side effects. It's my only complaint about the drug. I would recommend anyone who is considering Tegretol for Bipolar to have a backup for depressed mood, as I don't feel it's effective for extreme low mood, mainly for bipolar mania.

July 11, 2010 3:58 PM

I've used Tegretol for the last three years and it's still working like it did in the beginning. My moods have been so much better over this time and I have a lot better outlook now versus the time before I started taking this medicine. I love these good moods I stay in throughout the day.

March 21, 2010 2:03 PM

I have been using Tegretol for over five years and I think it is the best medicine for the manic side of bipolar. I don't notice any side effects and have not gained weight while using Tegretol.

February 4, 2010 10:20 PM

My only real problem with my bipolar disorder is my aggressiveness and this medicine like the other 13 I've been on does nothing for it.

April 4, 2009 12:33 AM

Review by happy50:

I have been using Tegretol for 6 months for BiPolar and I have felt happier consistently for the first time in my life. I have tried many others over 15 years and Tegretol has changed my life. I have had no side effects! Go Tegretol!

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 2, 2009 5:44 AM

Review by romagna73:

I liked it more than valproate since it doesn't affect your weight.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 21, 2008 12:52 PM

Review by reneedilks:

my son age 5 has used tegretol for the past 6 months for bipolar disorder - it has shown a great improvement in his mood changes and has allowed others to accept him more. if the tegretol is not given we notice a huge mood swing and rage and depression becomes more apparent.

99 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 18, 2008 11:08 AM