User Reviews for Tegretol

Learn more about Tegretol.

Tegretol Review Summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 62 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Tegretol to treat Bipolar Disorder

"I tried Lithium, Depakote, and Lamotrigine. I had horrible side effects with all three. But Carbamazepine is a miracle drug, as far as I'm concerned. It started working within just a few days and I only had to take 300 mg a day, in 100mg doses. My doctor and I found I had to have 400 mg a day if I took it twice a day, but spread out in 3 doses 300 mg worked. I always prefer to take the minimum useful dose of drugs if possible. Side effects: 1) teeth, especially at the gums, seem to be in worse shape on it, 2) I have to drink quite a lot of water, or I start to lose some cognitive function, 3) at a higher dose, I seemed to develop empathy deficits as if I had Asperger's or something."

OrcaTotem March 10, 2015

"Well im very impressed and happy others have Tegretol works, i am adhd and bipolar yup try that on for size its insane. I use to be an extremist of note but tegretol has controlled this and what i like most its not like the other medications it does not put you on just another high or a buzz, you don't realize what it does but the people around you do. It slows you down to a more controlled state and keeps the depression down. For me combine tegretol with healthy eating no dow etc rice starch, lots of water and gym and youll be sorted no doubt.But always remember like any normal being there are ups and downs and if you realize life is not always peaches and cream, and that you will experience down time, accept and just let it pass."

Self Medicator (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 9, 2015

"No problems or side effects."

SandyBlonde (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 18, 2014

"Most effective medicine for bipolar disorder, at least for me."

yayo53 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 4, 2014

"This medication is saving my life! It really stabilizes my mood. Before I started taking carbamazepine I would experience horribly crippling depression in the afternoons combined with very strong urges to self medicate with alcohol or narcotics. Now I feel about the same all day, never really up and never really down. I have no conflicts taking it with Suboxone. I have only noticed two side effects: nausea, taking it with food fixes that, and increased sleep. I sleep longer than I did before and wake up feeling tired. Actually it helps me to sleep through the night, which isn't all bad. After I get up, take my other medicines, and have some coffee I am ready to face the day. Note: I was previously misdiagnosed with major depression."

rscudder (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2014

"I only took this 1 1/2 days because I had a severe bad reaction physically, but the second evening I was on it I felt so calm, peaceful, and happy, that I didn't even want to fall asleep knowing it would be gone in the morning. I would've given it a 10 if not the physical reaction. I really recommend trying this mood stabilizer for anyone with bipolar and it works in just a couple of days. I was just an unlucky one, again."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 7, 2014

"I have been taking Tegretol for a couple of years and it really helps with my bipolar. I can notice a big difference compared to if I'm not taking it. I just don't like how it makes my head and tongue feel numb, but it's a small price to pay."

Crazilysweet March 1, 2014

"Thought I would share my experiences on "Tegretol" too. I have been on Tegretol for 3 days now and can tell a HUUUGE difference! I have not been given the "full blown" Bipolar diagnose yet, I think this will need some more in depth conversations with my psychiatrist. Well yes I was given Tegretol as a mood stabilizer on Wednesday. I took the first 100mg before I went to sleep. The next morning I didn't really feel any different, it was maybe in the evening or the afternoon that I noticed an improvement. I was a lot calmer, my thoughts were gathered, this has been the case until this day. I will ask my psychiatrist to up the dosage of Tegretol but it's early days yet. All in all I love this medication."

Bipolar? January 26, 2014

"I have been on this medicine since late September of this year (2013). I was on Abilify since I was 7 years old. I am now 21. I have gone from being a stick figure to a 254 pound blowfish and I'm 5.9". Since being on Tegretol. I have lost over 20 pounds and am eating less and am more on average scale of what a human being should be consuming on a daily basis. I love this medicine. It helps me think clearly meaning I am much more calm and stabilized with my bi-polar. The ONLY complaint I have is I am constantly having heat-flashes. I am male by the way. I have asked many different psychiatrists, pharmacy, and my PCP about it. None have ever found that to be part of the side effects. I rather deal with this then major weight gain from Abilify."

Wolfie Kins December 19, 2013

"Loved Tegretol, kept my moods stable, worked well, felt calm and happy and in control for the first time in years, Until a Dr decided it was ok to mix this with antibiotics along with the pill, and sinus medication, I suffered from TENS, after being told 3 times it couldn't be that I was so suck ended up in hospital for 2 months. Now I remain untreated due to fear, however, what works or some doesn't work for others. This worked for me until my body decided I was allergic to it and everything else. Please be mindful of what you take any medication with!"

Zara91 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 22, 2013

"Caused me to be very drowsy all of the time, sleeping about 16 hours every night and I developed an itchy rash of red pimple-like bumps on my scalp and neckline and middle of my back after taking it for a few days."

Taylor T. (taken for less than 1 month) October 24, 2012

"I found Tegretol amazing. It made me so calm and stable even after a few days, the only issue with it is it makes me very drowsy and a little disorientated. That's the one side effect I've noticed. So if you drive a lot or operate heavy machinery or are a surgeon this is not the medication for you. Otherwise it is a great mood stabilizer."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 7, 2012

"Started taking this medicine about two months ago, after the Lamictal-induced sickness wore off. Up to 400mg now and I think I need a higher dosage as have been manic for a couple of weeks now. But it started to work straight away, and no side effects except for my third day of taking them when I started to get a little confused. Was okay the next day though!"

Anonymous February 18, 2012

"I had a horrible experience after being prescribed Tegretol while in the hospital to treat my bipolar disorder. Within a few days of starting it, I began experiencing the shaking, nausea, etc. but the worst was the extreme anger/irritability I started experiencing. It got to the point that I would have horrible rages and felt like I was completely losing control. I kept asking my doctor to take me off the Tegretol, but he wouldn't. During one of these rages, I ended up fracturing my wrist because I hit a door so hard. After that, he agreed to take me off of it. After talking to other patients, I found out that a lot of them had similar experiences with this uncontrollable anger. "

MissyC October 12, 2011

"I just started taking Tegretol on June 3 for mood stability. Also prescribed Celexa on same day. I also take Methadone 10mg 4x a day for chronic pain management for last 10 yrs. I love how it makes me feel and it's very hard for me to get angry BUT, it interferes with the methadone. At first nothing except feeling drunk for the first 4-5 days. Then it started. Withdrawal symptoms, increased pain, restlessness, insomnia, fatigue and nausea. Not sure if I can continue treatment but will find out on June 24 after my doctors appointment. Also taking meloxicam. Will let everyone know my results Friday afternoon."

Tdogg June 20, 2011

"I had a very good experience on Tegretol. I had no side effects and was feeling better within three days. On top of stabilizing my moods it also reduced my fibromyalgia pain by a good 90% (which also helped my mood a lot). The only reason I stopped taking it is because I'm working on becoming pregnant and it does have some nasty side effects there. The new medicines I'm on don't work quite as well and I plan to go back on Tegretol as soon as I have a child."

Anonymous June 14, 2011

"Well, I would say that the side effects, when you stop talking is like so. I feel like I'm shivering inside, one of the worst feeling in the world. So bad that if I miss a dose, I'm waiting at the Pharmacy before its open. I suggest that one doesn't miss a dose."

WWM October 29, 2010

"Tegretol has slowed the rapid cycling I was experiencing with bipolar. I have noticed improved mood. I currently take a large dose, so I experience side effects. It's my only complaint about the drug. I would recommend anyone who is considering Tegretol for Bipolar to have a backup for depressed mood, as I don't feel it's effective for extreme low mood, mainly for bipolar mania."

jmsneptuneonfire July 11, 2010

"I've used Tegretol for the last three years and it's still working like it did in the beginning. My moods have been so much better over this time and I have a lot better outlook now versus the time before I started taking this medicine. I love these good moods I stay in throughout the day."

Anonymous March 21, 2010

"I have been using Tegretol for over five years and I think it is the best medicine for the manic side of bipolar. I don't notice any side effects and have not gained weight while using Tegretol."

Anonymous February 4, 2010

"My only real problem with my bipolar disorder is my aggressiveness and this medicine like the other 13 I've been on does nothing for it."

Anonymous April 4, 2009

"I have been using Tegretol for 6 months for BiPolar and I have felt happier consistently for the first time in my life. I have tried many others over 15 years and Tegretol has changed my life. I have had no side effects! Go Tegretol!"

happy50 April 2, 2009

96 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I liked it more than valproate since it doesn't affect your weight."

romagna73 December 21, 2008

"my son age 5 has used tegretol for the past 6 months for bipolar disorder - it has shown a great improvement in his mood changes and has allowed others to accept him more. if the tegretol is not given we notice a huge mood swing and rage and depression becomes more apparent."

reneedilks February 18, 2008

108 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Learn more about Bipolar Disorder