User Reviews for Carbamazepine

Also known as: Carbatrol, Epitol, Equetro, Tegretol, Tegretol XR

Learn more about Carbamazepine.

Carbamazepine review summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

Compare all 64 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Carbamazepine to treat Bipolar Disorder

Review by SandyBlonde (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Tegretol (carbamazepine): No problems or side effects.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 18, 2014 7:25 PM

Review by bipolarsufferer:

Tegretol XR (carbamazepine): I was previously diagnosed with major depression with severe anxiety attacks. I was taking anti-depressants and anxiety medication for 3 years. My mood would vary greatly throughout this time period. I was self medicate until one night I tried to drive myself off of a bridge with my car full of people. I realized at that point I needed help and nothing was working. I call my therapist he suggested that I go to the emergency room. I did. I ended up getting admitted for attempted suicide. After a week in the hospital it was apparent I was bipolar and in a episode. I suffer from manic and depressive episodes. They put me on Tegretol XR and I began to be able to actually sleep a whole night and think normally.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 17, 2014 7:53 AM

Review by Sam-Booo:

Epitol (carbamazepine): This medicine has changed my life. For years, before I was diagnosed... I had no clue what it was like to live with a clear head. I'm able to think and act more rationally. The way I've always wanted to and never could. This medicine solidifies for me that treatment CAN WORK. Changed my life. I'm a happy girl. (and not just when I try to be).

July 23, 2014 1:43 AM

Review by All of me:

Diagnosed and medicated for 17 years. Tegretol/Equetro/Carbamazepine keeps me from wanting to (and sometimes actually) smacking or choking someone. I'm on several things, but I know it's the tegretol because that feeling has come back a couple times over the years and we just increase my dosage and I'm back to normal.

June 14, 2014 10:19 AM

Review by yayo53 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Tegretol (carbamazepine): Most effective medicine for bipolar disorder, at least for me.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 4, 2014 3:48 PM

Review by rscudder (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Tegretol (carbamazepine): This medication is saving my life! It really stabilizes my mood. Before I started taking carbamazepine I would experience horribly crippling depression in the afternoons combined with very strong urges to self medicate with alcohol or narcotics. Now I feel about the same all day, never really up and never really down. I have no conflicts taking it with Suboxone. I have only noticed two side effects: nausea, taking it with food fixes that, and increased sleep. I sleep longer than I did before and wake up feeling tired. Actually it helps me to sleep through the night, which isn't all bad. After I get up, take my other medicines, and have some coffee I am ready to face the day. Note: I was previously misdiagnosed with major depression.

May 18, 2014 4:48 PM

Review by ert13 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Tegretol XR (carbamazepine): This is only medicine that works for me.

March 12, 2014 12:28 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Tegretol (carbamazepine): I only took this 1 1/2 days because I had a severe bad reaction physically, but the second evening I was on it I felt so calm, peaceful, and happy, that I didn't even want to fall asleep knowing it would be gone in the morning. I would've given it a 10 if not the physical reaction. I really recommend trying this mood stabilizer for anyone with bipolar and it works in just a couple of days. I was just an unlucky one, again.

March 7, 2014 2:03 PM

Review by Crazilysweet:

Tegretol (carbamazepine): I have been taking Tegretol for a couple of years and it really helps with my bipolar. I can notice a big difference compared to if I'm not taking it. I just don't like how it makes my head and tongue feel numb, but it's a small price to pay.

March 1, 2014 10:28 AM

Review by stephc9902:

Epitol (carbamazepine): I was put on this medicine as a treatment for bipolar disorder. This is like a miracle for me. It has helped my mood stay stable and has helped my attention span as well. And its very affordable.I would recommend this to anyone for treatment of bipolar disorder. It has saved my life.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 28, 2014 8:47 AM

Review by ccv2 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Only mood stabilizer that has worked for me, I take 800 mg.

February 27, 2014 3:04 PM

Review by Bipolar?:

Tegretol (carbamazepine): Thought I would share my experiences on "Tegretol" too. I have been on Tegretol for 3 days now and can tell a HUUUGE difference! I have not been given the "full blown" Bipolar diagnose yet, I think this will need some more in depth conversations with my psychiatrist. Well yes I was given Tegretol as a mood stabilizer on Wednesday. I took the first 100mg before I went to sleep. The next morning I didn't really feel any different, it was maybe in the evening or the afternoon that I noticed an improvement. I was a lot calmer, my thoughts were gathered, this has been the case until this day. I will ask my psychiatrist to up the dosage of Tegretol but it's early days yet. All in all I love this medication.

January 26, 2014 10:15 AM

Review by Wolfie Kins:

Tegretol (carbamazepine): I have been on this medicine since late September of this year (2013). I was on Abilify since I was 7 years old. I am now 21. I have gone from being a stick figure to a 254 pound blowfish and I'm 5.9". Since being on Tegretol. I have lost over 20 pounds and am eating less and am more on average scale of what a human being should be consuming on a daily basis. I love this medicine. It helps me think clearly meaning I am much more calm and stabilized with my bi-polar. The ONLY complaint I have is I am constantly having heat-flashes. I am male by the way. I have asked many different psychiatrists, pharmacy, and my PCP about it. None have ever found that to be part of the side effects. I rather deal with this then major weight gain from Abilify.

December 19, 2013 6:12 PM

Review by CrackerMan21 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For effectiveness in my case, this medicine gets a 1. For keeping me manic the entire time it was prescribed, it gets a 10. My bipolar mania even seemed to be triggered and brought on originally from this. A huge and long episode ensued about 2 weeks into its initial use. For the most part, the mania was of the more pleasant and euphoric type, rather than the agitated and awful one. It did do one thing. It made me absolutely certain that I had bipolar disorder, without a single doubt. It worked effectively on my late mother, but just kept me artificially happy. Like any psych med, it's hit or miss and, essentially, I struck out.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 12, 2013 7:57 AM

Review by mommy429 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Equetro (carbamazepine): I have taken a lot of medicines and hated all of them or they didn't work for me. This one actually works but my sex drive, well I have none now and that in turn makes me depressed so I think my doctors going to have to try something else.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 25, 2013 7:55 AM

Review by bobbierkb:

Only medicine that works for me. No side effects yet.

June 12, 2013 2:03 PM

Review by feeling normal (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

This is the ONLY thing that has worked for me. I was diagnosed with a 'nonspecified mood disorder', feeling totally out of control, no concentration, extremely irritable, suicidally depressed, angry, extremely everything, you name it. Tried on Lexapro (small effect, then nothing), Effexor (killed my whole soul- left me feeling nothing at all and HORRIBLE to wean off off and gained 30 pounds in two months), Zoloft (turned me into a raging psychotic mess- violently angry ideations, a real nightmare), Xanax (psychosis), self-medication (won't go into that, but obviously not a good idea)....anyway, you get the gist. This medication gives me NO side effects and just took away my 'craziness' it changed my life.

March 14, 2013 10:02 AM

Review by Zara91 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Tegretol (carbamazepine): Loved Tegretol, kept my moods stable, worked well, felt calm and happy and in control for the first time in years, Until a Dr decided it was ok to mix this with antibiotics along with the pill, and sinus medication, I suffered from TENS, after being told 3 times it couldn't be that I was so suck ended up in hospital for 2 months. Now I remain untreated due to fear, however, what works or some doesn't work for others. This worked for me until my body decided I was allergic to it and everything else. Please be mindful of what you take any medication with!

January 22, 2013 9:02 AM

Review by Taylor T. (taken for less than 1 month):

Tegretol (carbamazepine): Caused me to be very drowsy all of the time, sleeping about 16 hours every night and I developed an itchy rash of red pimple-like bumps on my scalp and neckline and middle of my back after taking it for a few days.

October 24, 2012 7:42 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Tegretol (carbamazepine): I found Tegretol amazing. It made me so calm and stable even after a few days, the only issue with it is it makes me very drowsy and a little disorientated. That's the one side effect I've noticed. So if you drive a lot or operate heavy machinery or are a surgeon this is not the medication for you. Otherwise it is a great mood stabilizer.

September 7, 2012 11:43 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Equetro (carbamazepine): Extreme fatigue, dark urine, yellow eyes, severe constipation.

July 22, 2012 10:47 PM

Review by Liz89 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Epitol (carbamazepine): I've been on Epitol for a little over 6 months and it has CHANGED my life. I had a hard time finding a medication that didn't worsen my condition or give me weird side effects and so far, I've had NONE of that from Epitol. The first few weeks were a little difficult as it made me kind of tired but I quickly adapted and no longer get drowsy. (I still find it best to take it before bedtime). My depressed symptoms are all but gone and my manic spells are much more mild (though occasionally longer). This medicine was a God-send.

June 4, 2012 4:33 PM

Equetro (carbamazepine): Second week definitely feeling better. Weight is stable. Curbs my appetite, couple bouts of blurred vision but overall good. Back to psych doctor next week. Will see where dosage goes. Hoping to have this permanent and drop Seroquel.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 23, 2012 4:22 PM

Tegretol (carbamazepine): Started taking this medicine about two months ago, after the Lamictal-induced sickness wore off. Up to 400mg now and I think I need a higher dosage as have been manic for a couple of weeks now. But it started to work straight away, and no side effects except for my third day of taking them when I started to get a little confused. Was okay the next day though!

February 18, 2012 9:14 AM

Review by MissyC:

Tegretol (carbamazepine): I had a horrible experience after being prescribed Tegretol while in the hospital to treat my bipolar disorder. Within a few days of starting it, I began experiencing the shaking, nausea, etc. but the worst was the extreme anger/irritability I started experiencing. It got to the point that I would have horrible rages and felt like I was completely losing control. I kept asking my doctor to take me off the Tegretol, but he wouldn't. During one of these rages, I ended up fracturing my wrist because I hit a door so hard. After that, he agreed to take me off of it. After talking to other patients, I found out that a lot of them had similar experiences with this uncontrollable anger.

October 12, 2011 1:11 AM