User Reviews for Carbamazepine

Also known as: Carbatrol, Epitol, Equetro, Tegretol, Tegretol XR

Learn more about Carbamazepine.

Carbamazepine Rating Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 50 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Carbamazepine to treat Bipolar Disorder

"Sometimes i feel like a metallic flavor , I feel dizy and sleepy , but it's very helpful controlling my hypomaniac disorder Not too good controlling depression as well"

Luisabenjumea November 30, 2015

Tegretol (carbamazepine): "On 400 mg making me very nauseous along with neck and shoulder pain"

Jay psych November 9, 2015

Tegretol (carbamazepine): "I have been on Tegretol for 15 years and it definitely controls the hypomania and rapid cycling, though not the depression so well. It sort of leaves you feeling flat, but I had tried lithium, Depakote, and a few of the atypical antipsychotics and they were too heavy duty or left me with extreme weight gain. When I went on Tegretol I have 50 pounds of extra weight from Depakote....it came off within 4 months. I am not thin now, as I have gotten older, but I suppose it is still the drug for me. At this stage of the game I don't feel like trying other meds as I have to work and function. I also take a small dose of Lamictal too."

Flyinghow (taken for 10 years or more) October 23, 2015

Tegretol (carbamazepine): "It kinda helped me in addition to my abilify, but since I have type 2 bipolar disorder, I just felt sleepy and knocked out all the time. Not the best of times."

anaisu (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 5, 2015

Tegretol (carbamazepine): "I have been on Tegretol for 8 days now, I'm very happy with the results so far. My mood and energy seems to have improved. I'm taking Tegretol 200mg twice a day along with Prosac and Ambien for my insomnia. The only side effect so far is a little bit lightheaded, but no biggie. I have begun a journal/to do list and I'm very happy when I cross off the items I have completed, in addition in my daily journal I'm drafting my daily feelings and my accomplishments. I would highly recommend this as this is helping me out tremendously. My memory is not as sharp and this HELPS big time."

Yankee Paul (taken for less than 1 month) September 3, 2015

Tegretol (carbamazepine): "I currently take 300 mg of carbamazepine a day. 100mg in morning and 200mg at night. Which is hard for me to remember the different doses because this medication causes me to forget everything. I also had really bad nausea and hot flashes when I first started taking it. I quit smoking cigarettes and drinking alcohol on this drug. Super amazing accomplishments, but on the other hand I have lost three jobs in six months. Before tegretol I was taking 300mg of seroquel XR a day and it made me a completely unemotional zombie. So It's hard for me to control myself sometimes because I'm feeling all these things I haven't felt before . I hope tegretol can work for me though and be my miracle drug, because changing meds is my living nightmare."

Fightthepower August 2, 2015

Tegretol XR (carbamazepine): "Was effective for mood stabilization,took 400 mg 2x/day. Went off it because it caused water retention, elevated liver enzymes and mild neutropenia. Also carbamazepine interacts with lots of meds,making them ineffective (i.e. Seroquel) Depakote ER is better for me."

be2 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 4, 2015

Epitol (carbamazepine): "As far as the depression goes, it works. But at the same time, I'm so sleepy all the time. I go from them making me sleepy to knocking me out. They have affected my mind, from making my memory worse to making me feel out of it."

aggravated (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 26, 2015

"I just started carbamazepine today but my sister is very upset with me about it. She said that I listen to whatever someone says. And I took the pill without thinking. But if my doctor prescribed it to me then shouldn't I take it? I was diagnosed bipolar manic depressed..I need advice please."

Celeste79 May 7, 2015

"This drug was pretty scary to use. I was warned that it could cause vision problems, feeling off-balance, hard to walk, etc. The symptoms got worse and worse quickly, not better. Very dangerous for me, couldn't see right, couldn't walk safely. Took around 2 hours the third and last time I took it to be able to see correctly. Very scary!"

Anonymousalso May 2, 2015

"In my honest opinion I find this drug has worked in stabilizing my rapid cycling bipolar.This is the first time in years that I feel like I am well.I started this medication when I was an inpatient in a psychiatric hospital and it worked within the first month it made the manic episode less severe .I am on 800 at night along with 600 seroquel XR and 25 lamictal .The only symptoms I have is slight constipation"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 29, 2015

"I was diagnosed Bipolar I with OCD When i was 14. I am now 38 and a mother of 3. I have been taking Equatro/Tegratol XR (carbamazepine) for 3 years now. I also take it with a mild antidepressant. I think on its own, the carbamazepine worked ok, but I found myself still depressed. No more rage or bursts of anger, but zombie like. As soon as my doctor introduced the antidepressant into my regimen, I feel wonderful!!! I take 600 MG a day total of the carbamazepine XR. 1 tablet in the am and 2 before bed. My morbid thoughts have stopped, suicidal tendency went away almost completely. My moods are elevated and stable now. I am able to enjoy life now."

ssd12777 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 20, 2015

Tegretol (carbamazepine): "I tried Lithium, Depakote, and Lamotrigine. I had horrible side effects with all three. But Carbamazepine is a miracle drug, as far as I'm concerned. It started working within just a few days and I only had to take 300 mg a day, in 100mg doses. My doctor and I found I had to have 400 mg a day if I took it twice a day, but spread out in 3 doses 300 mg worked. I always prefer to take the minimum useful dose of drugs if possible. Side effects: 1) teeth, especially at the gums, seem to be in worse shape on it, 2) I have to drink quite a lot of water, or I start to lose some cognitive function, 3) at a higher dose, I seemed to develop empathy deficits as if I had Asperger's or something."

OrcaTotem March 10, 2015

"No good made me with no energy, zero libido, foggy thoughts, drowsiness, forgetfulness, made me more irritable and after a few weeks got the feeling I was going to snap and loose it. Got taken off this medicine and changed to Lamictal and things got a lot better. "

dmmw1983 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 15, 2015

Tegretol (carbamazepine): "Well im very impressed and happy others have Tegretol works, i am adhd and bipolar yup try that on for size its insane. I use to be an extremist of note but tegretol has controlled this and what i like most its not like the other medications it does not put you on just another high or a buzz, you don't realize what it does but the people around you do. It slows you down to a more controlled state and keeps the depression down. For me combine tegretol with healthy eating no dow etc rice starch, lots of water and gym and youll be sorted no doubt.But always remember like any normal being there are ups and downs and if you realize life is not always peaches and cream, and that you will experience down time, accept and just let it pass."

Self Medicator (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 9, 2015

Epitol (carbamazepine): "Before this, I'd been ineffectively diagnosed and treated for ADHD and recurrent depression. I've taken this medication for only four days following a bipolar II re-diagnosis, but despite this, I feel much better than I had on Prozac. My combination of irritability, depression, lack of motivation, and suicidal/homicidal ideation (in the form of intrusive mental images) has vanished, and I find it much easier to talk to people and look them in the eye again. I'm taking 200mg tablets twice a day and initially noticed mild dizziness, headache, and sleepiness, but these quickly vanished. The only persistent symptoms have been hardly perceptible ringing in the ears and lowering in the pitch at which I hear sounds, esp. familiar songs."

k4ffeinator November 23, 2014

Epitol (carbamazepine): "I have only been on Epitol for a few days but so far so good. Starting on 300mg twice a day. I have clear thoughts, no wants to destroy people who do simple stupid things, no impulsive decisions, nerve pain is controlled and overall I just feel good. I'm also on Celexa, hoping this combination will do me justice."

Airborne82nd November 9, 2014

Tegretol (carbamazepine): "No problems or side effects."

SandyBlonde (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 18, 2014

Tegretol XR (carbamazepine): "I was previously diagnosed with major depression with severe anxiety attacks. I was taking anti-depressants and anxiety medication for 3 years. My mood would vary greatly throughout this time period. I was self medicate until one night I tried to drive myself off of a bridge with my car full of people. I realized at that point I needed help and nothing was working. I call my therapist he suggested that I go to the emergency room. I did. I ended up getting admitted for attempted suicide. After a week in the hospital it was apparent I was bipolar and in a episode. I suffer from manic and depressive episodes. They put me on Tegretol XR and I began to be able to actually sleep a whole night and think normally."

bipolarsufferer August 17, 2014

Epitol (carbamazepine): "This medicine has changed my life. For years, before I was diagnosed... I had no clue what it was like to live with a clear head. I'm able to think and act more rationally. The way I've always wanted to and never could. This medicine solidifies for me that treatment CAN WORK. Changed my life. I'm a happy girl. (and not just when I try to be)."

Sam-Booo July 23, 2014

"Diagnosed and medicated for 17 years. Tegretol/Equetro/Carbamazepine keeps me from wanting to (and sometimes actually) smacking or choking someone. I'm on several things, but I know it's the tegretol because that feeling has come back a couple times over the years and we just increase my dosage and I'm back to normal."

All of me June 14, 2014

Tegretol (carbamazepine): "Most effective medicine for bipolar disorder, at least for me."

yayo53 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 4, 2014

Tegretol (carbamazepine): "This medication is saving my life! It really stabilizes my mood. Before I started taking carbamazepine I would experience horribly crippling depression in the afternoons combined with very strong urges to self medicate with alcohol or narcotics. Now I feel about the same all day, never really up and never really down. I have no conflicts taking it with Suboxone. I have only noticed two side effects: nausea, taking it with food fixes that, and increased sleep. I sleep longer than I did before and wake up feeling tired. Actually it helps me to sleep through the night, which isn't all bad. After I get up, take my other medicines, and have some coffee I am ready to face the day. Note: I was previously misdiagnosed with major depression."

rscudder (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2014

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Tegretol XR (carbamazepine): "This is only medicine that works for me."

ert13 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 12, 2014

Tegretol (carbamazepine): "I only took this 1 1/2 days because I had a severe bad reaction physically, but the second evening I was on it I felt so calm, peaceful, and happy, that I didn't even want to fall asleep knowing it would be gone in the morning. I would've given it a 10 if not the physical reaction. I really recommend trying this mood stabilizer for anyone with bipolar and it works in just a couple of days. I was just an unlucky one, again."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 7, 2014