User Reviews for Calcitriol

Also known as: Calcijex, Rocaltrol

Learn more about Calcitriol.

Hypoparathyroidism 4 reviews 14 medications

Secondary Hyperparathyroidism 0 reviews 5 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Calcitriol reviews 6 reviews 6.7

Reviews for Calcitriol

Review by SheriA:

For Hypoparathyroidism: I have surgically induced Hypoparathyroidism. I was not monitored for many years. By the time I saw my ENT, my vitamin D level was 780. I really thought I was dying. My Dr. said I had been suffering from vitamin D toxicity. She stopped the vitamin D and started me on calcitroil. It is a synthetic vitamin D and absorbs differently then vitamin D. It took a while for the toxicity to get better. I now take my meds differently. Prilosec 7 to 8am. Calcium/magnesium/zinc combo and calcitriol at noon, 5pm heart medicines, 9pm levothyroxine. This has worked so far great for me. Still occasional tetany. Overall better.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 3, 2013 9:20 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Hypoparathyroidism: I've been on Rocalcitrol for about 3 years for secondary hypoparathyroidism. After initial tetany, I take 0.24 mcg every other day and about 2000 mg calcium daily. Just found out that I'm not to take calcitrol with magnesium. I take multivitamins around lunch time (calcitriol in the morning). I'm also taking levothyroxine daily, first thing in the morning. My serum calcium is low (7.8-8.3), Vit D is normal. I do, have bony pains and aches, remain very active.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 7, 2012 1:21 PM

For Hypoparathyroidism: I have been taking calcitriol for 8 months now. We eventually built it up until I am taking 1.25 mcg a day with 1500 - 2000 mg of calcium. It has worked very well compared to when I started out with only 25 mcg a day. I still have minor tetany problems but nothing and extra dose of calcium once in a while won't fix. The reason I didn't give it a 10 is because a lot of other medicines that different doctors gave me completely screwed me up. I see an endocrinologist for my thyroid and hypocalcemia...an ENT prescribed prilosec for reflux which messed me up and I had to stop taking it. My Gyn gave me a drug one dose one time before a uterine biopsy and plummedted my blood calcium levels for over a week...

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 30, 2010 6:06 AM

For Hypocalcemia: I have also been on Calcitriol 0.5 mcg x 2 twice daily in addition to 5400 mg (total) calcium and 756 mg magnesium (total) daily. Still experiencing sever symptoms of hypocalcemia - tingling, chills, muscle spasm, light headedness, etc. Also, had papillary cancer with all thyroid removed - surgeon likely removed all parathyroids as 2 were found in pathology and no parathyroid hormone detected in subsequent lab tests.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 8, 2009 3:11 PM

Review by hypocalcemia/hypoparathyroidism:

For Hypocalcemia: I have been taking Calcitriol for just about 2 months. After 1 month I felt great, my DR reduced my dosage from 0.50 to 0.25mcgs. About a week later I had slight symptoms and at 1 1/2 weeks I was headed to the ER taking 4500mg of calcium every 6 hours. Since increasing the dosage of Calcitriol back to 0.50mcgs I have noticed some of the symptoms and definitely their severity going away, but it has been a SLOW process. My condition was a result of complications from a Thyroidectomy due to Papillary Carcinoma (Cancer), in which I believe my Parathyroids (all) were put into shock and possibly destroyed.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 3, 2009 4:16 PM

Review by peri12:

For Hypoparathyroidism: The article does not mention that Calcitriol is not ordinary Vitamin D. It is activated Vitamin D. This is important in treatment of pseudohypoparathyroidism, in which the parathyroid gland produces plenty of parathyroid hormone, but lacks the relays containing instructions in how to utilize normal Vitamin D with the parathyroid hormone to regulate calcium level. [This is how my doctor explained this to me.]

November 3, 2007 9:15 AM